Speaker 1: Oh, guess what day it is.
Speaker 2: Guess what day it is?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 4: Anybody?
Speaker 5: It's hump Day.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is hump Day. It is also the eve of Thanksgiving. Welcome to the Big Bloon Sider, Dick Gabriel with you. What a busy week men's basketball, women's basketball, football, with a U OFL game coming up, all the national stuff going on in a holiday, So I want to jump right in and tell you that tomorrow night, of course, we will have a best of show at being a holiday, but if you're traveling, if you're in the car, turn that radio on right here, because it's going to be the best of the Big Blue Sider. But we're going to take you back to the first conversation I had personally via phone. I didn't have him in the garage, but Mark Pope says, at least at some point he will visit us here as long as we have cookies, and we have assured and we will. But we will have portions of that conversation with Mark, and then we will replay our recent interview with Cameron Mills. Not just because Cameron and I are buddies and we get silly on the radio, but this was the conversation we had the day after the Duke game, so he came by the garage as he always does, and we broke things down. Yes, they played since then, but so much of what we talked about that day is still relevant, even maybe more relevant since we've seen the Wildcats play again and so of you. So that's for tomorrow night. But tonight this is a great one. We've got first of our Western Bureau Chief, Gary Moore, as always on a Wednesday night, but we have Keith Madison, the UK baseball coach, who has written a new book just in time for the holidays, stocking stuffers. Think about that. We're gonna talk about Stevie Johnson because we're on the eve of the U of L game, and that's of course the day we're back in twenty oh seven on my birthday. No less, STEVEE got loose and made everybody happy in Commonwealth State who's wearing blue? And I bring up Stevie as well because he will open our broadcast on Saturday, the final game of the year. Sadly, but if you've been following along and we appreciate it, you know that we have had a different celebrity player former coach civilian, if you will even still open the broadcast for us. In fact, Josh Hopkins, an actor from Lexington who lives in Austin now, opened last week's broadcast. Well, Stevie will open things up for us this Saturday, and he did a tremendous job. I'm working on putting it together right now. You will really enjoy what you hear from Stevie. So, yeah, we've got a lot going on this week. But let's look at last night's Kentucky basketball game. I went over Western Kentucky that was probably tougher than most people expected, even though WKU was an nca Tournament team last year. And they're good, man, I mean, you saw him last night. The Hilltoppers are good. After the game, Hank plan out of the Western Kentucky coach, talked a lot, of course about his team and about Kentucky and how challenging it is to try to guard the Wildcats, who are really good on the inside and the outside.
Speaker 6: They got four guys on the floor they can shoot at all times. There's always at least one guy that's among the best three point shooters in college basketball. So they stretch you out a little bit and we were trying to pressure while protecting the rim. You know, they were slipping and cutting to the basket quite a bit. So their offense is very is very difficult to pose. There's a lot of challenges, to be perfectly honest with you guys.
Speaker 4: And talking about Kentucky's offense, Plana talked about the way the Wildcats execute, about how quickly they get things done this early in the season.
Speaker 6: They execute very very well. I mean they they cut to the basket at full speed so that you know when you stretch out and guard the line. I mean, they're not just running their patterns. They're running their patterns, changing the speed, changing directions at a very very high level.
Speaker 4: And the follow up on that, Hank Plona, the Western Kentucky coach, said, what's really impressive, at least to him, is the fact that UK is executing so efficiently and quickly, changing speeds, communicating all that intricate stuff. And it's happening now here in November, not down the stretch heading into tournament season.
Speaker 6: You know, credit to them is not a lot of teams look quite like that on November twenty sixth, you know, I think by January February March. I think a lot of teams get to that point, but you know, they put a new group of people together. Those guys to cut like that, you have to be unselfish, you have to be team oriented, you have to be playing for the name on the front of their jersey, and man, they've they've certainly come together and formed that identity very very fast.
Speaker 4: So that's Hank Plana, the Western Kentucky coach. While we're talking about basketball, we need to talk, of course about the UK women. They ran their record to six and oher by knocking off Arizona State in the Music City Classic, and in fact, Game two of that series for the Wildcats comes up tonight. That's why we'll be off at seven forty five. Darren Edwick was pregame as the Cats take on Illinois this evening. But Kenny Brooks's ball club, he's in his first season with the Cats. Of course, he has Kentucky six to zero for the first time since twenty twenty one. They won each of their first six games of the season by at least ten points, and for the second straight game, two players had at least twenty in the game. Clara Strack had twenty four Georgia Amore had twenty Kentucky blocked ten shots. After the game, Brooks said, you know what we might lack in the lateral quickness, we make up for in verticality, basically in height. And this is the fifth time this year already UK has recorded at least ten block shots, sixty eight on the season. Gets this, Kentucky needs just one hundred and fourteen more to break the team record, which was set in thirty six games back in twenty twelve. Thirteen Cats held Arizona State to no field goals for the first seven minutes and sixteen seconds the second quarter. So all that height clearly intimidating the sun devils. So again tonight, UK Illinois will have it for you right here. Darren Hedrick with pregame at seven forty five, shift you over to football real quickly. It is Louisville week. As we said, Cutter Bowley gets his first start. And somebody asked Marx Tubes about the fact that the players seem to rally around the big guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's just got that, he's got that feel, he's got the Moxie's the type of guy he gets along with absolutely everybody on the team. He fits in with everybody. He's He's just got a very good personality that way. I think they know he's got that moxie or swagger or whatever you want to call it. That when he gets in there, he has a strong belief in himself and and you know he sees the feed failed well as you know.
Speaker 4: Also, it was hard not to notice the difference, of course, when Bully came in and replaced Brock Vandergrif who's at such a tough season and beaten and banged up behind a makeshift offensive line, and it just it clearly, it looks like it's gotten into his head a little bit. I guess. I guess Cutter Bowlly, being a freshman, doesn't know what he's not supposed to know. He just looks more like a veteran because he's so cool, calm and collected in the pocket. And Stoops said it was obviously noticeable in the Texas game one play, in particular, in a.
Speaker 7: Tough environment against the top you know, five team in the country on the road and all out pressure, give a little ground and throw it to a space. You know, I'm not sure TV does it justice.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I didn't see the TV copy, but you know, I look at it on film and you see the way he had the awareness, the presence that he was calm, backed up and threw it to an open space. It was pretty impressive play. And you know there's many more like that in there. I'd like to see us give him a little bit more time so he can operate more efficiently. And the same goes.
Speaker 4: For so Cutter Bowley. We'll get the start. Will we see Brock Vandergriff against Louisville. Don't know, whatever does happen, you'll hear it right here. On six thirty WLAP pregame covered starts local coverage of nine am. Oh yep, kegs and eggs gonna be cold too, ten am Network pregame with Christy Logan and Jeremy and then noon kickoff Tom Leach, jeffiicor on Yours truly for the Cats and the Cards, UK riding that six game winning streak. Up next, we'll talk more football. And here's a little tease for you coming up in hour number two. At the end of the show, our last segment going into UK women's basketball, we are going to revisit one of the greatest episodes in sitcom history, and this being Thanksgiving week, here's a little teaser for you.
Speaker 5: It's flying something behind it I Tacklin make it out. It's a large bunner and it says, get the things.
Speaker 4: From w That's right. We're gonna talk about the episode Turkey's Away, and if you know anything about that show, you know exactly what I'm talking about. That comes up in our number two stay with us here on six point thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Boonsider. Coming up in our second hour, West n Bureau Chief Gary Moore, and our tribute to one of the greatest episodes in the history of sitcom TV, Turkey's Away from WKRP in Cincinnati. But we've got some stuff to discuss, first of all, but Colorado beating Yukon, second ranked team in the country and Danny Hurley going off on the sidelines once again, and he has really taken a lot of flak for that as well he should. He says, it's the second time he has gone ballistic on the sidelines over the officials. Yeah. I know coaches have troubles with refs, but this is kind of ridiculous. Kansas beats Duke seventy five, seventy two, and if it weren't for Hunter Dickinson, the headline might be the posterizing dunk delivered by Cooper Flagg. But it wasn't. Hunter Dickinson, fifth year senior, still doing childish things, ejected from the game for kicking a Duke player in the head, Malik Brown. They were scuffling on the floor. It all kind of erupted. Brown was assessed a personal foul for backing into Dickinson. They were both going for a rebound. Dickinson was given a flagrant IWO for kicking them in the head. They were on the ground in front of the bench area and Dickinson kicked him in the head, so he got the flagrant two and he got the boot. Dickinson has been doing punk type things ever, so I don't know if he did it in his previous school Michigan. I don't remember seeing him do that in London. Didn't do anything goofy there when he played against Kentucky. But man, he is making some bad headlines since getting to Kansas. And remember there was a point where a lot of us thought he was coming to Kentucky. Got a better nil deal in Lawrence saying with basketball inside, the NBA was kicking it around last night. See what I did there. Evidently somebody leaked. Somebody from the Philadelphia seventy six ers leaked the fact that Joel Embiid is late all the time and they had a team meeting, and that's one of the things that came up. But somebody leaked what they were talking about to the media, and the gang on inside the NBA discussed it, including my man, Charles Barkley and Shaquie O'Neal. And Barkley as always quite frank about both the Embiid situation and whoever leaked it.
Speaker 2: You cannot be leaked all the time, disrespectful to your teammates and your coaches and everybody. You can't be late. So first, Joel has on that, But what whoever leaked that to the press need to be punched in the face in a team meeting. Those are secret, Ernie. You can't tell out secrets in a team meeting.
Speaker 1: Now, like I said, nextely, somebody has been punched in the face, but that didn't.
Speaker 2: Get out yet. No, no, But I'm saying, though, when you when you when you in those meetings, they're very personal when you especially when you call out a guy like that. Like I said, Joe has to own being laid all the time. He has to own that. But that's that should have never guiden to the press in this area we live in. That's never going a check no check. You know, if y'all had a team meeting, a guy accused you of something, but it shouldn't should not it should not check Jim Gray, how you doing something? But somebody has to tell Jim Gray and you should not do that. I have a Joey was right on the part he said he called me a piece of crap who leaked that? But he has to own I can't be late all the time.
Speaker 4: Let's curtsey a T n T. I certainly hope whoever did the leaking wasn't Tyrese Maxi. And as a media guy, I love him when people leaked, but I don't want Tyrese Maxi to invoke any bad blood with his teammates. That's a certainty. Over in the NFL, the Players Association released the top fifty player sales list, and some guys are seeing their jerseys fly off the racks. Who is number one in the top five are all quarterbacks, No surprise, Patrick Mahomes once again with the most merch sold. Second year QB C. J. Stroud of the Texans is second, Then Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts number four on the list. Bears rookie quarterback Caleb Williams, I guess that's not a surprise, And even though his team is struggling, Joe Burrow of the Bengals is number five. The highest ranked non quarterback in terms of Jersey sales, Lions d nd Aiden Hutchinson is number six, and then his teammate wide receiver i'man Ross Saint Brown is number seven. So some of those numbers are predictable and some of them are not. And by the way, number eight Kristin McCaffrey, number nine Micah Parsons, and number ten Travis Kelcey. Quick baseball note for you the rich kid Richard. The Dodgers sign Cy Young Award winner from the Giants. There are tribals Blake Snell, so that means they have a potentially incredible starting rotation of Snell, Tyler Glass, now Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Shohei Otani, assuming he pitches again and then picked from four or five guys. But one of the names that is not coming up is Lexings Walker Buehler. So the signing of Snell, and of course Bueller's been battling injuries, although we pitch well in postseason just might mean he's going to be looking for another team. I won't get into the money. It's ridiculous, but the Dodgers have just, you know, incredibly deep pockets. They can afford to pay the payroll taxes. But they signed Snell. Supposedly the Red Sox are trying to get him the Yankee. He's had a zoom call with him, but they're really concentrating on resigning one Soto and college football. Note you know this by now. Mac Brown fired by North Carolina right after he said he was coming back. Not so fast, my friend. One of the names, of course, it's being tossed out there John some Roll. And this doesn't mean he's a candidate. It just means that whoever was typing up a list of guys who maybe they might want to look at. But the former Kentucky linebacker in his first year Tulane has the Greenway nine and two. They're thinking playoff playoffs. He went twenty three and four in two years at Troy. He's young, he's forty two years old, and he has a great reputation. Of course, Kentucky fans who are unhappy with stoops or banging a drum for John some roll. Here's an interesting note about Mac Brown. When he was first in North Carolina, he had two turns there. This is when Kentucky was looking for a head coach with Saam Newton, as he ended up hiring Hell Mummy. But Newton and I were together at one point and he asked me, what are the fans saying? And I mentioned two or three names, and one of them was Mac Brown, who was doing some good things at North Carolina. And talking about all three guys or however many I mentioned, Seam said yeah, yeah, they're good. Yeah, but have they ever sustained anything? And I had to answer, well, I don't know, I don't think so. But turns out Mac Brown did sustain well enough at Carolina, then went on to Texas before he ended up back in North Carolina. But now he's out of a job. Hey, remember alone a mayor, She was a household name. During the summer, she helped lead the US women's rugby team to a bronze medal in the twenty twenty four Olympics. Well, she kind of got the silver medal, and Dancing with the Star she came in second. The season finale aired last night. No, I do not watch this. I kind of pulled this off the interweb. Joey Graziade was the winner. She wasn't the only athlete to call for the final. Gymnast Steven Netteroseik finished fourth, and ex NFL White Dot Damni m Mendola was fifth. So Team USA well represented on Dancing with the Stars. And by the way, I don't watch Dancing with the Stars. I don't judge anybody who does, but I read a comment from somebody who said it seems like they're running out of stars and this season may just underscore that better than any Because the guy who won, Joey Graziade. If you know who he is, you watch a lot of TV. And again, not judging, but here's why he is a star. He is best known as the runner up on season twenty of The Bachelorette, he didn't even win. He was the runner up on season twenty and the star of season twenty eight, and now he's the winner. In seasons thirty three of Dancing with the Stars. What was he before he became a quote unquote TV star? He was a teaching tennis pro from Collegeville, Pennsylvania. Now, you know what, good for him, and I hope he's making as much money as he possibly can. You gotta wonder will he ever go back if he hasn't yet to giving tennis lessons. But I guess you can call him a star now easily more than fifteen minutes of fame for this guy. Up next, Keith Madison. After that we'll talk a little bit of Stevie Got Loose, our number two West End Bureau Chief Gary Moore, and our special tribute to WKRP the episode Turkeys Away. That's all ahead here on six thirty WLAP joining us on our Celebrity Hotline is a guy who's actually been right here in the garage in front of him. He's been on the Celebrity Hotline too, But coach Keith Madison usually here with the Chain gang. But you're kind of special people now, Coach, because you're an author, you've written a book. Tell me all about this.
Speaker 9: Well, it's been fun experience. I really enjoyed the writing process and the name of the book, Dick is Coaching with Purpose, And basically it's trying to help coaches avoid some of the mistakes I made. But it's not all about that, but uh, it's it's a book that hopefully helps coaches win on the on the field or on the court and off the court with their athletes. I just I just think that coaches, Yeah, they're paid to win, but they have such an opportunity to impact their athletes and in a positive way because they spend so much time with them, and because if if you're if you're a decent coach, a good coach, they're going to listen to you, so you can impact these young people and help them to become better husbands, better wives, better sin. I just think that coaches have this golden opportunity to make an impact that's perhaps bigger than they even know.
Speaker 4: Did you feel like you were not tuned into that when you first got started. I got to assume you were kind of overwhelmed by the job itself because you had so much going against you. But this sounds like something coach that has dawned on you through the years.
Speaker 9: You're exactly right. I think when I first started coaching. I really loved my players. I had a great group of young men, but it was it was it was all work, and I didn't talk to them as much about important things off the field as I should have, probably, although I still have great relationships with those guys. But I just think that you know, these coaches that whether you're a college coach or a minor league hitting coach or a little league coach, you know, it doesn't matter. You have influence on those people you coach. And I think that young people need that discipline and that structure that they have at practicing on the field, but they also sometimes are a little bit lost when it comes to things off the field.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm wondering about a challenge you might have faced when you first began, because that's when I first met you, when you started coaching at Kentucky. You know, relatively speaking, how old we are now, you weren't that much older than the guys you were coaching. I got to think that had a lot to do with it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think so, you know, I was I was twenty six years old, and my first baseman was twenty two years old, and my second basement was twenty two years old. Wow, I just you know it. But I think because they had had such a tucky year of the year before. Uh, I think they were they were looking to win, and they were looking to turn it around. And I had just played professional baseball, uh two or three years before that, and so they thought that was kind of cool. And they felt like I could relate to them, and I felt like I did relate to them.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 9: And we had fun. You know, we worked hard, so we had sun and we uh gosh, we got to know each other because we had to. We had to take trips to places like Athens, Georgia in vance. Yeah, and we didn't we didn't take a bus. We took you know, about three vans and and John Butler drove one, I drove one, and an equipment manager drove the other and and we're heading down I seventy five and and it was amazing because I think you and I've talked about this before, but we we would get to the field, and let's just use Georgia as an example. We get to the field of at ten thirty or eleven o'clock in the morning and take battie practice and do all the pregame activities and then play a game and then getting those vans and drive back to the Lectington. It was exhausting, But when you're twenty six or twenty seven years old, it's that big a deal. I guess we but that's what I really got to know those guys, you know. I spent time talking to him in those vans, and they felt comfortable with me, and I felt really comfortable with them. But it's those kind of relationships that are so special that coaches have an opportunity to experience.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: I was in touch on a regular basis with my little league coach up until the day he died. He actually called me the day he called me the day he passed away, right, and you know, and the impact he had on me as a as a kid, and then my high school coach was he was a great guy. He had a tremendous impact me. I just want other coaches to leverage that and know that they have it. And winning is awesome and that's what we need to do. It's a lot more fun when you win. But you can win on the field and you can win with the players off the field, and that's doubly special.
Speaker 4: You played for and coached with a lot of different coaches. And I got to think writing this book made you, you know, and you just talk about how much you enjoyed it, but you know, sit back and reflect on what you learn from them, what they may have learned from you. I mean, you know, this had to have been a great trip down memory lane.
Speaker 2: No doubt that.
Speaker 9: And that's exactly why it was fun, because I started remembering things that I hadn't thought of in years, like this one experience I had with Russ Nixon. He was a manager. Doug Twinn and I both played for US. Great manager, tough guy played you know, he was a catcher for the Red I played with Ted Williams and all that. But I respected him so much. So I had a really bad outing one night. I was the closer on the staff, and uh, he called me into his little office there at all Little Past Stadium the next day before we did our workout, and I thought, man, this is not going to go good because he was a tough guy and and you know, as a minor league do you never know whether a bad outing is the last time you'll ever pitch right. And so he calls me in and he had a really serious look on his face, and I'm not going to say it over the air, but he said, Madison, you were a horse. Understand you could fill in the plank. And he said, uh, he said that that was that was just a terrible outing last night. I thought, oh boys, that yeah, And but then he said this, He said, but you're my closure, and if you go out there tonight, I expect you to to be the best closer in the Florida State League. And man, he just I mean that listed me, you know, he he ripped me a little bit, and I deserved it, but then he made me feel so special. And sure enough, I go out out that night and I'm throwing gass and I'm feeling good because Russ Nixon believed in me. And that's such a that seems like such a simple thing, but when coaches believe in athletes, sure they can do so much more.
Speaker 4: You know, I've never coached really at your level. I'm a little bit of little league here and there, but I've managed people through my career and and looking back, there a couple of times when I thought, you know, I just never got through to this guy, and I probably should have just parted ways with him. Uh, because but I didn't because I thought, well, I'll be laying another problem on somebody else, and it's my problem to manage, you know, all that kind of stuff. Did you ever think in those terms? I got to think there were some players you just couldn't get through to and maybe somebody else could have.
Speaker 9: I don't know, Yeah, no doubt about it. I mean I would be lying to you, Dick, if if I told you that I connected with every player that I coach. That just doesn't happen because there's always this thing called personality that that can that can cause you not to connect. You know, maybe that maybe that young man or that young woman they just they just don't want to spend time with you. But that that does happen. But I think you know, the coach's job is to is to get the best possible out of that particular athlete. And if you have to bite your tongue a little bit and uh, eat some mumble pie, you know you got.
Speaker 8: To do that.
Speaker 9: But your job is to get that young person to produce. And uh, if we if we go about our jobs that way, it's going to be better. And then I've had this happen for Dick, or you do that, and maybe you know that that player doesn't like you, yep, but you just keep you just keep on pouring into him and try to add value to not only his his skills, but also add value to his life. And if you just keep doing that, I mean some of those people are the best friends I have right now. That the relationships started off a little top, little rocky, but then you just keep pouring into him and things turn around, and that's when it's really rewarding.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Coach. I appreciated. We will talk more about this when the rest of the chain gang joined you here in the garage. But tell everybody where they can find that book. Is it out yet or where we ready to recommend it for stocking stuffers?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just coming out next week. And as a matter of fact, today I want to be putting the links on my website and you can go to my website website Coach Keithmadison dot com and you'll be able to find the link there on how to order the book. And I really appreciate you asking me about it, Dick, No problem.
Speaker 4: Always enjoy talking with you. Thanks, Coach, have a great holiday and we'll talk soon here in the garage.
Speaker 9: Okay, Dick, thank you.
Speaker 4: I want to come with a Big Blue Sider here on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Blue Sider coming up Saturday. Uku of l the rivalry that should be played first game of the year. I would even accept third game of the year, but I've said it over and over. I liked it first game because I'm in the hype business, and it gave us more to talk about all summer long getting into Kentucky football season with that game upcoming. And remember when Bill Curry and Howard Snellenberger got together and agreed to work to get this game happening. That's one of the biggest reasons they weren't ashamed to say, Look, we're tired of hearing people talking about basketball recruiting all summer long. We need them talking about football. And this got us talking, didn't it. And then of course Rich Brooks came in. He wanted to move it to the third week, so it alternated when Kentucky hosted third week when Louisville hosted first week. And I understood why Rich wanted that, get a better read on your team. But once it was moved by the SEC because of television to the end of the season, and there have been some really good games and the air been games that really worked out well for Kentucky. There were some drama involved. Do they go to a bowl game? Do they not think back to that upset win over the Lamar Jackson U of L team, But it gets lost in the weekend, especially weekend like this when uk. I mean, this is the bowl game for the Wildcats. Cardinals are good, They're going to a bowl game. But I'm just and it's not even a traditional thing. I just like the hype. Part of the hype is the Wildcad Whip. I hope you've enjoyed podcast that Tom Lee chip Icorn I have been doing at South The Wrigley got together earlier today. We usually tape on Thursday, but obviously we can't tomorrow, and this is part of this week's Wildcat Whip. It is a rivalry, but each school has had its opportunities to own it for a while. It's never been like Red Blue, Red Blue. You know, it's been very streaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other streets look at a couple of things in preparing. The winning score is usually pretty high. Yeah, I mean, it's either been blowouts, or it's been a high scoring game like last year where I think it was a thirty eight to thirty one. I mean, Kentucky hasn't scored above twenty and anybody in the SEC this is the only other power for opponent they will have played.
Speaker 4: I looked up.
Speaker 1: The last time the winning score was twenty or less in this game was nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 4: So it's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: Can the new QB was the coach in ninety five that would have in Bill Curry and Ron Yes, uh Cooper, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: Ye thirteen. I was thirteen to ten that year.
Speaker 8: I think that the reason for that tom is because, especially like a game like tomorrow, Kentucky has nothing to lose. Yeah, I mean, so you pull everything out. Mark Stoops says, look, score every drive. I don't care if you scored in one play or it takes twenty plays. Score every drive. Don't try to feed you. But there's times when because of who people are, you have to make sure they stay in the game.
Speaker 4: Not this game.
Speaker 8: This game you play to win, you double reverse pass whatever. I think you see a wide open game of postains. Louisville already does that. If you ever watch any other games. They do all kinds of tricks plays during the game. Kentucky's brought them out every once in a while, and most of the time they've been successful.
Speaker 4: Ye brom is known for that though, I mean he's all with Purdue or Louisville. He's got quite the interesting playbook. And of course they practice that a lot. You gott to wonder how often did they practice the fancy stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they certainly you've got to do that in this sport to have the confidence to run. And I don't know how much of any of that stuff they may try with a new quarterback. It's the interesting dynamic to this matchup, a true freshman making his first start in the governor's company. Jared started as a red shirt freshman, but there's never been a true freshman make his first start in this game for Kentucky. As somebody told me today that I think it was Teddy Bridgewater maybe as a true freshman that came in for an injured Louisville quarterback. I can't remember who it was and spark Louisville to a victory. So it's been done the other way, maybe with a freshman QB.
Speaker 4: What do you guys learn, if anything, watching Cutter last week down in Texas. I just thought that.
Speaker 8: The biggest thing that I learned was that it wasn't too big for him. I didn't think he'd be ready because he came from a small school, you know, and and he didn't play the Trinities and the Frederick Douglasses every week. He played small schools and a lot of times the speed of the game is so totally different. But this kid, it didn't phase him at all. I mean, he got crunched a couple times. To him, he gets sacked four times, he's on the run. Everything he jumps right back up and he's the cool thing that I saw. And I think Tom and I talked about this when you were going in. He was talking to the other team like guys that were like helping him up after they sacked him and stuff, and he was that doesn't happen with freshman because usually you're wide eyed out there, but he was.
Speaker 4: He was cool.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: Look at his first play.
Speaker 1: They fake it to the left and he turns and there's a Texas defensive end in his face sacking him. Very first play. Next option or next play, You've got multiple options on the on the play, so you know, if you some some freshman in that situation, might just get a quick easy completion here and settle my nerves down. And he throws the bomb to Barry and Brown and completes a big pass. And then Kentucky, you know, made some big plays. Unfortunate a couple of them were wiped out by penalties, but you know where he moved around in the pocket, kept a play alive by looking downfield.
Speaker 4: The one pass he.
Speaker 1: Threw that was brought back to Willie Rodriguez dropped it in perfectly in among some of those burnt orange jerseys, and those are you know, big time plays. And if he can continue to make those in this game, I would have to think Louisville's really gonna heat him up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And then that one he hit Mackins right on the note right, I mean right in his chest and he dropped it. I keep thinking, I've watched that play probably ten or twelve times. And when you're talking.
Speaker 1: About will the bomb, no the bomb to.
Speaker 8: Ol Barian Barrion, and I keep wondering, why did he go out of bounce, Why did he not turn to his left and go upfield?
Speaker 1: There was nobody in front of him, no one.
Speaker 8: And I keep going, what was he doing? It's interesting when I watched it again again, you've got rib injury. You don't want to get here. I mean that that hurts, but you know what, tomorrow, You know, we used to do things that make it not hurt that you're not allowed to do it anymore. But tomorrow you just play. I mean, because this is it. And I thought a cool thing. Uh did you hear Eli? I think Dick was there Eli yesterday talking to the media like yeah, he said, yeah, yeah, well he did play offensive line.
Speaker 4: Now Eli was on the sideline of Texas.
Speaker 8: Yes, Eli said, I keep reminding. Everybody stood up, and he spoke to the team. He goes, this is your last Monday practice. Tomorrow's the last Tuesday. Then you know, then it's the last Wednesday.
Speaker 4: This is it.
Speaker 8: We don't have a bowl game. This is the last couple of times where ever the bowl each other again. Yeah, So that's that really puts it in perspective for players when you think of that way, and it kind of makes you want to dig down even deeper for this game.
Speaker 1: As that was walking down like you would have spurred it on ahead you and I were finally got down to the field, and but we're one hundred and twenty yards from the locker room, and so.
Speaker 4: Guys went right. I told you to go left.
Speaker 1: You had sprint it on because like you had to be on the air first. And as I'm walking down past at the fifty yard line, just Texas players sitting there. Yes, was backside taking it in, taking it in.
Speaker 4: I think it was hen Ter hell Hill.
Speaker 1: Tight end who had a tremendous year, but his last game.
Speaker 4: In last day, he's good too. Man. So now it's Senior Day at Kroger Field, and Senior Day day is taken taking on a new meaning. Well with a portal and nil. You may see a kid for one year and you never see him again. You may see im this first freshman year and you never see him again. And then you've got seniors. And this was the way it was in the past with red shirts, but now even more so, you may see seniors going through two or three different senior days because they had that additional year and an additional year and things like that. I think the COVID seasons are about over, but it's still going to be emotional. It's going to be cold, and it's going to be a noon kickoff, so I wonder what kind of crowd we will see for tailgating Saturday morning. But hey, it's the last game of the year. Why not. It's Louisville, why not? And I think it's going to be a good game, and why not be there when Cutter Bowley takes his first snap as a starting quarterback. And in this whip when you tune in, you can find it on my Facebook page and you'll find it on Friday via my Twitter feed and via the UK Sports Network Twitter feed. Jeff tells us what it's like to prepare as the starting QB, he sat in meetings as a former player, what it's like, what this week is like for Cutter Bowley with the starting job right there in his lap. So again, Wildcat Whip, watch for it. It should already be on my Facebook page or it'll be on Twitter coming up on Friday. I want to do this up next with Gary Moore, our West End Bureau Chief and our tribute to WKRP Turkey's Away. I'm six point thirty wager welcome back to the Big Blue and Cider. It is Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve, but that means we will go to our favorite turkey. He is our West End Bureau chief, Gary Moore. At the other end of I sixty four, I resemble that he's got a list of topics you'd like to discuss.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's our big Black Friday. Two guys in a six pack sail on swigs six.
Speaker 4: For the price of squat.
Speaker 10: Of course that's our regular price. But never mind that. Now so here we are Dick our first wig rivalry week in college football. None bigger than these parts anyway than UK Louisville coming frigid Saturday, Kroger Field. You'll be there as usual with about eight layers of clothing on there For the Cats. You got senior Day, you got their only bowl game, and you got their big rivalry game all into one. You think they're gonna be amped up for this, Well, what about Louisville. Sure they had to blow out and get right last home game against the spiraling pit team. But I was still thinking to myself, which is my favorite way? Did they rid themselves of all their Stanford stupidity, of which there are copious amounts. The week before I say, nay, nay, last year over here, remember the cards came in hot ten and one.
Speaker 4: They just knocked one down in Miami. They even out.
Speaker 10: Passed and out rushed UK.
Speaker 4: Didn't matter.
Speaker 10: Louisville had three turnovers to UK's one, three penalties to UK's nine. You had a clean game last year, different year. I know some of the same players are still there, but even with freshman quarterback Cutter Bowlie starting, I still like the Cats by two.
Speaker 4: And by the way, that's.
Speaker 10: At noon right there, right here, WLAP and on the SEC network, which means, unfortunately we won't get TV play by play guy Joe Testatur for two consecutive week. Kids and Joe's dramatic style.
Speaker 4: Were every game, every play could be the biggest game.
Speaker 10: And this is the biggest play in college football this season in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Oh wait a minute, he fumbled. That is a flat. It's Joe Testatur. So anyway, what do you think? Well, first of all, I do like Joe, but after a while, I'm like Buddy, settled down.
Speaker 10: I know I like it too, but it.
Speaker 4: Also made me ask myself, am I not being excited enough on play by play? But you're fine, No, I think you're right. It comes down to turnovers. But It also comes down to the same thing when I go to games at U of L, my buddy and my brother who often sit together, I go visit him at halftime and they always say the same thing. Your linemen are so big, you know they'll win in the trenches. And Kentucky defensively has the edge on the line, but you just don't know what you're gonna get from the Kentucky o line. So yeah, this could come down to a last minute kick, second swig.
Speaker 10: Then you got my WKU Hilltoppers had control of their own Conference USA championship destiny can't stop the run dick in the last three weeks alone, Western's week d lines giving up nine hundred and twenty eight yards on the ground, three hundred nine yards a game the last three and who are they gonna be facing at home for their senior Day Saturday. The number one rushing team in the conference, number three Division one rushing team in America, Jacksonville State two hundred and sixty yards a game, even more than boys he has, so barring a sudden red wall defense, it's going to be a long cold day in Bowling Green. But you know we mentioned rivalry week. We got on Friday the Egg Bowl with State and Old mess God. I love seeing Kiffin lose on Saturday, it was so beautiful Georgia, Tech and Georgia. Then you go to Saturday, South Carolina and Clemson balls at Vandy, Michigan at Ohio's and Ohio State University Opered at Bama, Notre Dame at USC, Purdue at Indiana, and the real Biggie in the SEC for the first time in thirteen years, which is ridiculous because they ought to play every year.
Speaker 4: Texas at Texas.
Speaker 10: A and M Longhorns are actually five and a half point favorites, which I don't know about that. I think A and M might be serving a cold plate of revenge on this one. You also got Washington and Oregon. Those two schools hate each other. And by the way, good luck to EKU at Villanova on Saturday two o'clock ESPN plus in the Round one of the FCS.
Speaker 4: Yeah, finally back in the playoffs. And tell me the greatest football alum from Villanova do you know off the top of your head?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 4: How long I was gonna say? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Talks about it every once in a while on the anchor desk. I come out there. I agree with you on that Texas A and M game. That's gonna be fun. A and M fled the Big twelve because it wanted a way from Texas, and then let's welcome Texas to the SEC. It's beautiful. But A and M is playing sneaky good. I think they're sneaky better than people believe. But Texas, I got a good look at him up front. Quinn Yours is not overwhelmingly great, but he's as good as he needs to be with that Texas team. So much talent on that team. I would love it if Vandy upsset at Tennessee. But Tennessee is playing really well right now, and I think Clemson is going to get South Carolina the fighting Beamers. That's right.
Speaker 10: A third twig and a six back Tomorrow being Thanksgiving, not one, not two, but three NFL games of first at twelve thirty on CBS, the Bears at Detroit Lions ten and a half point favorites, four point thirty on Fox soft as f Giants at Dallas Dallas four point favorites, and then at eight twenty on NBC Miami trading sunshine and highs in the eighties, for light, snow and below freezing temperatures at lambeau Field, and your Packers only three point favorites at this point, is that right?
Speaker 4: They'll win by more than that.
Speaker 10: All three home teams are favorite, obviously, and it says here that they will all three are gonna win. But I'm hoping that the Giants will play hard as f against them boys.
Speaker 4: So three tomorrow?
Speaker 10: How about these three On Sunday Dick Steelers up I seventy five at the Bengals, since he's two and a half point favorite in that one, Eagles at the Ravens. You got Baltimore's three point favorite in that one. And Sunday night the Niners and the at the Bills. Buffalo is seven point favorite. The big question, though, I ask you how much attention will you be paying to the TV versus the family tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Well, fortunately, my nephew is a huge Green Bay fan, but we'll probably be on the way home from my sister's house by the time the Packers play. But yeah, you've got it's always a division in the house. You've got in the big room. Right over here is everybody glued to the TV, and right over he is everybody doing the yaking and gabbing and gossiping, so it's no big deal. Yeah, you gotta like the Lions. You gotta like the Packers, even though Miami's better, I think, better than people think. But I don't think they'll handle it up north. You know, this Cowboys Giants game is so meaningless and yet meaningfull given what those teams are going through, especially at quarterback. And wouldn't it be funny if Tommy Cutletz jumped up and beat the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day? I mean, it's sort of what a mess with a Giant's game. They let Saquon go and re sign Daniel Jones, and now they'll be drafting another quarterback.
Speaker 10: It's Jones is going to Minnesota. Now Minnesota thought, hey we could use a guy like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, need a backup. But it's a primer on how to mishandle the quarterback situation at a franchise that is better than that. Frankly, Steelers Bengals. The Steelers just don't score a lot and the Bengals do, but the Bengals give up points. So I don't know what to make of that one. And yeah, the Niners, Baltimore Niners are so banged up, and the Ravens are back on track. So I like the Ravens in that one porth swig and a six pack. Okay, stalk hoops.
Speaker 10: Your alma mater beat my alma mater rapp Arena last night eighty seven sixty eight. I think the Toppers played the Cats pretty hard though, just too many missshots. Four for twenty six from the threes and the two seat in your guards you thought would at least help him out. McHenry and Lander combined four for twenty eight total of eleven points with those who. In fact, Lander was one for twelve. He used to be a really great guard at one In fact, he was a high school star down in Evansville. But I still saw some good signs that the Toppers may get into they may mold into a good team by March. Despite some of those horrific shots last night. They're home against Marshall on Saturday, down at Diddle Arena, Cats in Georgia State Friday. Then you go over to Clemson for that acc SEC deal on Tuesday. Then a week from Saturday in Seattle, we know what happens. Number eight UK, number three Gonzaga, and now I want shifting gears slightly.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 10: You may be familiar Dick with a great group out of England called Radiohead. Back in nineteen ninety seven, they had a great album called Okay Computer and a song on there called Karma Police. I bring this up because yesterday in Maui, the Karma Police cited Danny Hothead Hurley, resulting in his Huskies blowing a nine point lead and losing in two days, the second time in two days to an unranked team, and he got the dubious honor of his team playing for the seventh place in the Maui Invitational.
Speaker 4: Where it happened in.
Speaker 10: Exactly, going berserk at the refs on Monday, costing his team the loss in overtime and then popping off about the officiating and as well as a Memphis player, he had nothing nice to say about that one guy who's trying to get the rebound afterwards. Shows that Hurley made the right decision to stay in college, don't you think, Because that kind of crazy belligerence does not play with grown ass men and eighty two games in the NBA, now does it.
Speaker 4: Now he loses his mind and he then he loses team. Uh yeah, you're right about that. But yeah, your Toppers I thought played well, played with confidence, and yes, got good shots, some of them open. This didn't go down, you know. And when you look back on this wall, Kentucky must have played great defense. It played, it played good defense. But Western Kentucky just missed a lot of opportunities. But it was a ragged kind of ugly game, not from poor play, but just these teams getting into each other. I think both teams will benefit from this game down the stretch. I think it gave probably the Toppers some confidence. You know, we went into up and for a while there made a game out of it more than any other team. But Duke so far with Kentucky, just.
Speaker 10: Don't miss eight or eleven shots in a row against a.
Speaker 4: Team like Kentucky. That'sact Kentucky size. Kentucky size just overwhelmed your guys absolutely.
Speaker 10: Fittswig and the six pack, all right. Former West Coast basketball dynasty UCLA finally has a number one basketball team. Only ain't the men, which probably pisses off another noted hothead coach, min Cronan over there on the men's side, thanks to their resounding pounding of former number one defending champion South Carolina. The UCLA women are the top spot in women's polls. That seventy seven to sixty two win for the Bruins on Sunday happened before he sold out Pauley Pavilion crowd of thirteen thousand, six hundred and fifty nine. UCLA's men, on the other hand, have not only not sold out any home games against the likes of Lehigh or Idaho State games that are all but guaranteed wins. You think the fans would definitely want to go out and see something like that. UCLA has even gotten fifty two hundred for a game, yet they averaged just over forty six hundred a game. Scheduling pushovers early in the season has not been a problem for uk attendance wise, or for Yukon or Kansas or North Carolina or you know what, especially Louisville over here and they've got an off campus young Center for their court. Cards are average dick over thirteen thousand, four hundred after four home games, but UCLA. UCLA, in a metro area of some thirteen million with several hundred thousand alums, can't even get five thousand for a game. And while we're on the subject, what about my Hilltoppers. After four games, Western still hasn't had more than forty six hundred show up, and they've averaged twenty four just over twenty four hundred for the last three home games alone at these two famous basketball schools. I ask you, is this apathy or lack of marketing to students in the lums, combination of both something else.
Speaker 4: I like to know how the Western Knentuckuy women are drawing. But to compare the two, one is relatively rural compared of course to UCLA. But Gary for years, when you were out there and you and I would communicate, you were so angry as a basketball junkie when you went to cover UCLA games that they didn't draw when they had really good contending teams always out of UCLA as a neighborhoods school Westwood. We all know that's a Lakers town. But you're right they ought to draw more than that, especially when the women draw the way they did. But we've talked about the growth of women's basketball so far. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 10: Sixth and final swig our friends at Awful Announcing had a headline Dick that hit home with me the other day because this hits home with my career in radio.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 10: Add incessant commercials to the list of Fox Big Noon complaints.
Speaker 4: It goes on.
Speaker 10: Despite putting up huge ratings numbers, college football fans continue to balk at the notion of noon eastern kickoffs. However, you can add a new complaint following Saturday's Big ten showdown between Ohio State and Indiana. Not only did it turn into an early blowout, but the game itself seemed to become something that occurred only between commercials. There was a lot of social media complaints about the number and length of the commercial breaks there. It's the same problem I've had with college and pro football for years. Even it's even worse now, I think with the networks that have overpaid for the broadcast rights and then they're trying to make up the expenditures with added commercials, and you know, the same things happen with radio. Sometimes. At KYLA we had we had ten minute commercial breaks on radio. You're not gonna sit through half of that. Thankfully we got the NFL red zone commercial free stuff. I'm just waiting for somebody to do the same thing with college football. I'll sign up for that in the New York millisecond. But you you have withstood more TV timeouts than anyone else being on the ground on those game days where you had to sit and wait or stand and wait, wait, wait for the action. I ask you, are there too many of these TV timeouts? And will they get even longer? And will there be more of them go longer than maybe three minutes plus than we have now as we get into the.
Speaker 4: Course, as the rights fees balloon, that's the way to get their money back. Ask for Foxy. They brag about the audiences they're getting for Big Noon, so if they can, they'll they'll capitalize on those numbers, cram in more spots at a premium rate, and we all suffer for it. Gary Moore is our Western bureau chief. We'll come back with some hot regions. Just a minute here on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider. We're talking with Gary Moore. He is our West End bureau chief. You've heard two guys at a six pack time for a couple of hot reads. Gary. I don't know if you saw it, but I directed you to the video. This was after a cal Win talking about football in Berkeley, the equipment manager for Cal standing on the sidelines standing watch, and a fan quote unquote kind of saunters up looking this way, but then suddenly he looks that way, steals a jersey and runs off at top speed. The manager saw it, took off running, tackled the guy, got the jersey back. I think this guy would be given a varsity letter for that.
Speaker 10: I think I enjoyed that as much as I enjoyed when he was in front of the They did a breakdown of what happened in front. I don't know if you saw this in front of the team, but the team was watching film.
Speaker 4: They brought him back in and.
Speaker 10: They replayed the whole thing, and all the players stood up and went crazy when he tackled the guy.
Speaker 4: Just taking it up as flawless. It was a beautiful thing. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, these guys were just like cheering them on.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's bad enough they're gonna they're gonna storm the field. But you know, stuff like this has probably happened at some other places. But a good friend of ours is the equipment used to be the equipment manager for Oregon, Oh After several years.
Speaker 4: These guys have got hawkeyes.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're watching any kind of stuff like that, you know, whether they're behind the stands or people are yelling stuff or they're throwing stuff. Much less you're gonna come down there. They will guard this stuff like a hawk.
Speaker 4: Yep. Finally coming up next in our final segment, as we make way early for UK women's basketball, My tribute to Turkeys Away the episode at w Caripeine, Cincinnati, and everybody knows what happens in it, but it's it's so classic and and uh, I know, I love that show and I came to it late, probably when it was in reruns. I was working in radio and Your Life's been radio. But that was just another There were so many great episodes. I mean, they did an episode after based on the Who Concert where people actually lost their lives and had this finesse it through the network. But it was hilarious and it wasn't totally accurate. No, they didn't wear headphones, you know, but it was so representative every character of someone everybody knew in radio. We could all relate. Well.
Speaker 10: I think some of the people involved with it. I believe Hugh Wilson was one of the creators, and he worked at WQXI in Atlanta from what I remember, yeah, yeah, and Quick See and Dixie and he had some some input obviously, so there was there was some roots in it. But I was working for WBGN and Bowling Green when I was going to WKU at the same time, and like, this show's a revelation and it's a show that the guys in the radio business, how cool is this? And I absolutely loved it. And when I would come up to Lexington and hear you guys and that could pick up w k r C. Yes, is this the station? Is this like a part of one of the stations? And here how professional it was? It just furthered my interest in radio. It kind of got me going.
Speaker 4: And you being such a music guy, you had to like the music. They got rights to play some decent music, little clips of it that doctor Johnny Fever would play. And what I loved about that characters They added Mug with all his air names, you know, and we all knew about that. Yeah, we all knew people. I room with a guy, uh he just passed Sally not long ago. But and you knew him. You work with him. Robert Lindsay, but a program director who hired him said, ah, that's not how about you be the real Neil Steele.
Speaker 10: And that's what he was, I know, to take up to take up on the real Don Steele exact Los Angeles exactly. Yeah, Robert Radio Radio, Robert, Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 4: I so enjoyed it. But even people who aren't huge fans of the show, I guarantee you they know the payoff line and what happened at the end and there's you know, with a turkey drop and all that. And you'll learn more in my next segment about the history of a turkey drop that inspired this episode. Really. Yes it wasn't out of a helicopter, but something like that really happened, and that Atlanta station you talked about was involved in a way. So that's coming up next. Please stay tuned for that. But also say thank you to Gary, our West End bureau chief, who can be seen and found and heard on Twitter at at nine to five to five.
Speaker 10: Gary, and you are on the same platform thing whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Now Bluegrass, Big Blue Insider One. Have a great holiday, Happy Thanksgiving. Up next to tribute to WKRPS turkey episode, and then we'll make way for UK women's basketball, all the Wildcats in Illinois coming up with Darren Heddrick on the call his pregame at seven forty five. Here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue inside here. This is the final segment because we're gonna make way for Darren Hedrick and UK women's basketball as the Wildcats take on Illinois in the Music City Classic down in Nashville. This is played at Treveca Nazarene University's Trojan Field House. So we're gonna jump out of here and Darren will have pregame coming up in a couple of minutes. But as promised, I wanted to leave you with everybody's favorite. This is from the Turkeys Away episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. It is considered one of the most famous, revered episodes of the show and really in all of the history of sitcoms, and in fact, in nineteen ninety seven, TV Guide ranked Turkeys Away episode at number forty on its one hundred Greatest Episodes of All Time. Twenty nine it was moved down to sixty five. I don't know where it is now within one hundred greatest episodes, but it's got to be up there. It's got to be up there. Back in ninety seven, the very first at the top of the list was the Mary Tyler Moore Show Chuckles bites the dust And you know, I don't know what's on top now. You'd have a hard time replacing that one as number one. But Turkey's Away belongs on the top one hundred list to me, forever and for all time. And you know the story WKRP, the station in Cincinnati that featured doctor Johnny Fever and Venus fly Trap and les Nessman and Bailey Quarters. They decided they would thanks to the Big Guy, Arthur Carlson stage Thanksgiving promotion. Right, and so the Less goes to report on it in a live remote and you hear doctor Johnny Fever talking it too, Less out in the field, and what comes next is radio magic and its history. Less.
Speaker 1: You're still there, yes, Johnny, you see anything yet?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: No, there's quite a crowd, though. Where's the big guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know where Carlson is, but we're coming to you right after this record.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, no problem, I can have one.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's real close.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, fellow babies and Now it's time to go to our live remote man on the scene at the Pinedale Shopping Mall for the big WKRP Turkey giveaway.
Speaker 10: So take it away, less Ness Man.
Speaker 5: This is less Ness Wan. You're man on the scene here at the Pinedale Shopping Center with the excitement is mounting wave here to witness the big wk on nel Rookie Thanksgiving giveaway.
Speaker 4: You got permission to be out here? What you're blocking my store here? Buddy?
Speaker 5: Don't you know who I am? Huh, I'm less Nessmund. I won the Buckeye Newshook Ward last year for you, buck guy, and now get out of my doorway. I'm sorry, it's freep door far so good. I hear hundreds of people who have gathered to witness what has been described as perhaps the greatest Turkey event and Thanksgiving dang is great. All we know for sure is that in a very few moments they're going to be a lot of happy people out here. Now the crowd is the crowd is uh, curious, but well behaved. And I think I hear something now the crowd is moving out into the parking area and oh yes, I can see it now. It's a it's a hell a copter and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it. I can't quite make it out. It's a large banner and it says, uh, happy things kidy.
Speaker 4: From you. Hey, what a sight?
Speaker 8: It is, just what a sight.
Speaker 5: The cupter seems to be circling in the parking area now I guess it's looking for a place to land. No, something just came out of the back of the helicopter. It's a dark object, perhaps a skydiver, plumbing too to the earth, only two thousand feet of the air, second to the third.
Speaker 4: There's no hursh you.
Speaker 5: Yet, you can't be skydivers. I can't not your cat what they are.
Speaker 4: But oh my god, they're turnkey. Get this.
Speaker 5: They're crunching to the earth right right, always gonna wandering to win you hot hard.
Speaker 8: It's colors running.
Speaker 5: Around pushing each other.
Speaker 4: Oh my, oh but you moment in.
Speaker 5: Lemming at Bobs the turkeys are hitting the ground like sets of wet semans.
Speaker 1: Site.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much longer there you try is running for their lives.
Speaker 4: Why did I go to stepping site? I can't stay up here and watch the city, as you know, I can't go in. There hasn't been anything like that.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much longer I can all my division here, Johnny.
Speaker 9: The last last are you there?
Speaker 4: Less?
Speaker 3: Isn't there?
Speaker 9: Thanks for that? On the spot report last.
Speaker 3: Both just tuned in the finale shopping mall has just been bombed with Mill and eleven.
Speaker 4: Then you cut to the last scene where let's return to the station, followed by Arthur Carl's scenes with the famous last line.
Speaker 5: Are you okay?
Speaker 4: I don't know? The man and his two children tried to kill me.
Speaker 5: After the turkeys hit the pavement, the crowd kind of scattered, but some of them tried to attack me, told jam myself into a phone booth. Then mister Carlson had the helicopter land in the middle of the parking lot. I guess he thought he could save the day by turning the rest of the turkeys loose. It's pretty strange. After that, all, let's come on, I'll tell us the rest. I really don't know how to describe it. It was like the turkeys mounted a counter attack. It was almost as if they were organized. As God is my witness. I thought turkeys could fly.
Speaker 4: Now, believe it or not, this was based on a true story, although it's debated as to where it happened. Some people people believe it happened at an Atlanta radio station WQXI. They called it Quicksie, and that the general manager character was based in part of the guy named Jerry Bloom. But Bloom's son Gary said that this was not It didn't happen at the Atlanta station, but his dad had worked at a station in Dallas in the fifties and they did a turkey drop, or actually they threw them off the back of a flatbed truck and things did not go really well. And by the way, the famous line at the end was actually a take on something that Bloom told the Atlanta Journal Constitution in nineteen ninety six. He actually said, I didn't know turkeys couldn't fly, which of course inspired Arthur Carlson's famous line. But I did want to share that with you as we headed into the Thanksgiving weekend, and I thought I had heard someplace that this was based on an event that actually did happen, but wasn't the entire sure where. But yeah, the Internet's got it. Although, as we said, some believe it happened in Atlanta, but the man who worked at both stations, both the WQXI and at the station in Dallas, said no, it happened in Dallas, but they did something else in Atlanta. But the turkey drop, which was actually off the back of a truck, happened in Dallas in the fifties. And by the way, WQXI and Atlanta still exists as a Korean language station, which I thought was pretty interesting. We're going to get out of the way and make room for Darren Headwick's pregame coming up. It's the UK Women taking on Illinois down in Nashville, part of the Music City Classic. And then of course on Friday, it's Kentucky the Men back home in rubb aerna At taking on at Georgia State at seven o'clock. We'll have them before you right here. So my thanks to you, have a great holiday, Be safe everybody. That's a good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 5: As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could.
Speaker 2: Fly and
Speaker 4: Names