Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot, the kids are playing or trail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 3: All right? Where do we start? That's a legitimate question.
Speaker 2: I haven't been on the airwaves here for this show in a while, and a lot has happened since what was it last Wednesday? A lot is transpired, and we're going to discuss that over these next three hours. So welcome in, hang out, make yourself at home. This is Cafe Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety nit coffee with you, Austin Montgomery alongside today producing this afternoon, and I genuinely don't really know where we should start, Like what makes the most sense as far as where we start?
Speaker 4: Well, first off, how about how was your Thanksgiving? Everything all right with the family, everything go well.
Speaker 3: I was great.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have been better, although it didn't really feel like Thanksgiving, but that's not a complaint. Like I love Thanksgiving. I got to spend time with family, my wife. We took the two kids to Churchill Downs. That's kind of become our early part of the early part of the day Thanksgiving tradition that we've started. I think now, I think just about every year since we've had children, rather just be Maya or Moose, we've we've made it to Churchill and it's kind of what we do. And then we go to my mom's and have a good time. But when I think of Thanksgiving, I think of that that game against against West Virginia, where like I was, I mean, I kind of forgot what those games do to me it comes to basketball. I forgot what that experience was like. You know, Wednesday, I forgot how awesome it was to see your team just blow somebody off the floor that you know was a top fifteen team and look really good doing it. And the next day, you know, I was reminded what it's like whenever they're in a close game and it just feels like you know you're about to have a heart attack. So Thanksgiving was great, but in an awful way. I mean, it's just me being honest here. Maybe you guys don't think it's awful. Maybe you understand, maybe you can relate. Like had they lost that West Virginia game, like I think Thanksgiving would have been a terrible.
Speaker 3: Day for me, which it should cancel.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be that way, but it just is because we're crazy about this stuff, right m.
Speaker 4: And yeah, no it Thanksgiving would have been canceled.
Speaker 3: Like moving forward like no more, like we get like two years off.
Speaker 4: Christmas might have been canceled if they lost to UK too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, man, I think I don't know if I'd be here if that happened.
Speaker 3: That's just one truth. I don't know if I would be here if that happened.
Speaker 2: I mean I would be, but you know, like I can't imagine where I would be mentally. And that's sad to say, but man, it's the truth. I'm just being honest with you. Man, this stuff makes me crazy and Lowell basketball just because of the recent years and whatnot. That's why, you know, the excitement level for the Indiana blowout was through the roof. Same thing for the West Virginia game, but you know, it was also very nerve wracking. You blew Indian out, so like it makes me feel alive now the Kentucky game. No matter what, regardless of the circumstance and situation, I'm just a lunatic during those games the day of beforehand. I mean, it's just like such a and it shouldn't be that way, but it is. And I also kind of in a sick and twisted way. I kind of wouldn't have it any other way. So anyways, we'll get to basketball. I'm still choosing to view the Battle for Atlantis as a major positive for Pat Kelsey and his team, but looking at a really tough stretch of games that you still have left on the schedule, not just this season, but you know, like in the next week and a half two weeks, including one tomorrow night against o Ole Miss, I kind of feel like the Oklahoma win isn't going to be viewed as a bad one, but it was right there for you to get and I just hope it isn't one that comes back to bite you when it comes to selection Sunday. That's very far away, but that's a game that you lost to a good team and there's really nobody that should feel like, man, how to be lose to them?
Speaker 3: They stink.
Speaker 2: But you know, a play here and there, especially down the stretch, like you could have won and there would have been a lot of value there. Now you also lost caseon Pryor for the season, which absolutely sucks. That news came out earlier today and it didn't look good when he went out, and it didn't look good when he came back onto the bench and a wheelchair, and I think his face kind of said it all. They had an MRI I think yesterday or today, and they released the news before Pat Kelsey's press conference. The case in Pryor is going to miss the rest of the season, which, again, it sucks. Now I'm not as down on the rest of this season as others. I think Cason is a good player. There's really not a lot. Well, I'll save it because I have a the best case scenario as far as like how you can maybe not get better from this because you lost one of your more talented players on the roster. But I do think you can now expect to see Pat Kelcey mix some things up a little bit and that could lead to you having, you know, maybe.
Speaker 3: More of a of a.
Speaker 2: Dangerous lineup at certain times, depending on you know, who emerges. Now, there's also a side that's just like, hey, you're now down three scholarship players that we're all expected to have big roles because Cason's out for the year. Doesn't sound good. With korn Johnson, I mean, he's going to get a second opinion, I guess, see a second specialist when it comes to his shoulder, which probably means that and this is just a guess. I shouldn't even speculate, but usually when you hear that they're gonna go get a second opinion, it's because they didn't like the opinion of the first specialist. My guess is that he's probably been told that he needs a procedure, some kind of surgery, and maybe he's gonna get a second opinion to see if they think he could play through it. I'm just guessing, but it doesn't sound like they've really gotten any indication he's going to be back anytime soon. And then obviously with tre Ore, a guy that is really valuable.
Speaker 3: But I think you.
Speaker 2: You could see that you know you can get it, You can get by without him because He's not going to be a guy that scores a lot of points for you, but he does make you better defensively. He's a better athlete, and he's a good rebounder. So any of those guys back would be would be huge. But obviously prior we know will not happen this year, So we'll talk to some hoops of course. I mean, we've got a lot of really good games this week and as I mentioned a moment ago, Ole Miss tomorrow night, nine o'clock, and it's the acc SEC Challenge, big opportunity for Louisville, and you win that one. I mean, I don't know how you would you'd be able. I mean again, it's and it's tough to to really even know what to expect because you're now going to play for the first time a full game without case In Pryor. But I mean, that's that's an opportunity to get a big time win for your resume. Speaking of your resume, we got the first edition of the net rankings this year for college basketball. What'salk about where Louisville came in before too long. But let's get to the best result of the weekend. That's the Governor's cup order has been restored when it comes to the gridiron in this state, as Jeff Brohm and the Cards reclaim the Governor's Cup, bringing it back to where it belongs. And I said, it's the best part of the weekend. But it was really more of a relief than it was anything else. And I was a madman in the first half because to only be up twenty to nothing, it felt very, very scary and dangerous, like how did this happen? How did you not give yourself enough cushion here? You've been beating their brains in, They've been awful in every way, yet you don't have a bigger lead, Like this is nightmare scenario kind of And then sure enough they score and it's seven to twenty.
Speaker 3: And the fact that at that point it.
Speaker 2: Was a two score game where if they scored two touchdowns winning, like it just felt like, oh my god, this is going to play out in the worst way possible. But then Louisville, of course, just continued to I mean, just run it down their throat and take advantage of how bad Kentucky was. I'm not doing the rivalry thing here, I mean I am, but I think you could have no clue about this even being a rivalry, and you could just be watching that game, which I don't know why you would. It was not a great game to watch. It was a blowout, but you would think Kentucky's the worst team in the country, and they really, I guess, aren't far from it. They were one and seven in the SEC. They didn't beat anybody on their schedule this year at home that they didn't pay to come in and bend over. The bye games is all they won. And they finished fifteenth out of sixteen teams in the SEC. So like they are bad. Trust me, it's not like, oh Wow, who knew Kentucky was going to be bad? But like they I think you could make the case. And this is actually I'm not trying to take credit away from Louisville, just my observation here. I think you can look at how bad Canentucky was and really not feel like it had a whole lot to do with Louisville. Now, Louisville running it down their throat. I mean, those two freshmen running backs, I mean, those guys are special.
Speaker 3: Saved.
Speaker 2: Your Chris ask for Christmas money this year is your gift? Just asked for cash? You could donate it directly to Duke Watson and Isaac Brown because we got to do whatever we can to keep these guys here. Those guys are special, So like, those guys are talented. But like, listen to this. The worst game statistically for Tyler Shuck in his twelve game career at Louisville and Jacorey Brooks didn't catch pass and you still beat him forty one to fourteen, and it really could have been a lot, or she could have scored sixty. So me, Kentucky just completely laid down. And I mean, I'm happy that that happened. But they were so bad this year. They didn't have I mean, they hate their coach to where you really weren't gonna have, Like there wasn't gonna be a whole lot of eating crow, you know what I mean, Like if you were going to try to pull receipts, which I do at times and I did yesterday.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed doing that.
Speaker 2: But if you're gonna do that, it'd be a little bit more enjoyable on your end. If it's like recent, if it's before the game you got to dig back to, like after they beat Old Miss to find Kentucky fans talking smack about football because their season really fell apart after that.
Speaker 3: And they hate their coach.
Speaker 2: Maybe not overall, because he did change a lot about Kentucky football, but man, they hate him now. They hate Mark Stoops in twenty twenty four going into twenty twenty five and want him to desperately leave.
Speaker 3: So it was great. It was just a relief to get it over with, to have the Cup back here.
Speaker 2: And here's still hoping that it stays on this side of the state for a long long time. And I really have no reason to think that it won't. And that's where Kentucky fans are really really stuck, because they can give you the well, hey, it's congratulations, should beat a terrible Kentucky team. You won one in six years. Was that a good Kentucky voice? I feel like I could have done better there, Austin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it didn't have a lot of twang to that, you know, I had a lot Maybe that was like a Louisville area Kentucky fans.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have as that Eastern Kentucky twang, you know, like they give you the well, congratulations, you beat a really bad Kentucky team, and about time you won which is you know, that's playful, that's fine, but like you could easily just shut him up when you say yeah, and you know that it's not getting any better for you, Like you know that you want your coach gone. You're worried that things are going to really fall off the rails because he's staying. What makes you think you're going to be able to reclaim the cup and keep it in your I mean, you know, anything can happen, tucky, maybe good next I have no clue, but like obviously things don't look great right now. Like Mark stoops the scenario where he puts together a great roster and they're really good next year, I just don't really see how that happens, just given the momentum and given the way Mark stoops, I mean, I think he's one of those guys that has done a good enough job embracing an il, but man, he's hit he hit his limit and started talking about how much he hates it, And I mean he's been pretty dejected throughout throughout the year, even before the season started, until I don't know about a couple weeks ago he found out that they wanted him gone, and I think he took great satisfaction going to the press conference on Saturday after losing forty one to fourteen to the rival. He loved being able to say, I know there's a lot of you that want me gone, but you're gonna be upset because I'm not going anywhere. I'm going back to work tomorrow. And I'm paraphrasing to an extent. I think that's pretty close to what he said. But that's a strategic comment to make when you say whenever you talk about fans being frustrated, like, I don't think it's out of line, but that kind of tells you where he is, Like he's kind of dunking on y'all. Right, I know y'all want me gone, but just rest assured I'm gonna be at work tomorrow. Like that's him, like, hey, eat it, I'm still here. And it's just an unhealthy relationship right now. It seems like when it comes to Mark Stoops and the Kentucky fan base, and look, maybe they do come back next year and they're really good, but it doesn't there's not a lot of momentum right now that is going to happen, especially considering they're losing coaches or they're going to lose a coach, maybe two coaches, and they're and I'm not talking about Vince Marrow, which I'll get to that later.
Speaker 3: That was nonsense. That whole thing was just nonsense.
Speaker 2: But anyways, they're gonna lose Brad White, and they've got players hitting the portal, they've got commits decommitting and flipping to other schools. Doesn't mean they can't find some magic in the portal or whatever. But Kentucky fans, I mean, you can't have it both ways. You can't talk about how bummed you are that your coach won't leave and that you want so badly for John Schlarman to take the job, knowing that it's not going to open up. North Carolina's coming after him, West Virginia is gonna come after him. He's going to be in the mix there. Schlarman, of course at Tulane and he played for those that are He played at UK and coached at UK and had a really good run at Troy and then did a good job at Tulane. And now he's going to be on the mark. He's going to be a candidate for these other power jobs. And you know, with Purdue opening up as well as Carolina and West Virginia. I mean, you saw the desperation from Kentucky fans wanting those schools to be interested in their coach, right, like a power program that might be interested in Stoops, but they know deep down that he's not an attractive candidate. So like it's hard for you to respond. I mean, you can respond however you want, but like, I know you don't believe that your football program is going to be good under Mark Stoops. Now you may be wrong, maybe they are, but like I know you don't believe that right now, So how can you tell me that, like the Cup's gonna come back to Lexington anytime soon? I mean, this day and age, we don't have a clue what either roster's going to look like next year because we're getting to the point where it's gonna be insanely difficult to keep up with. You've already got players for Louisville entering the portal. I'm sure the same thing for Kentucky, and I'll try my best to keep up with it and of course update you guys with this platform here on this show, But like it's hard to keep up with, So I mean, Mark Stoop's a good coach, no doubt, But you only say that because he wanted Kentucky at a level that like nobody else ever could. And I think that says a lot about him as a coach and a lot about their program. That Mark Steops, by the way, is widely respected in the college football world. It's not uncommon to see people and you probably wouldn't see it now because of the recency here, but you know, for years you'd see him listed as one of the top twenty coaches in the country. Mean, he's one of the top ten paid coaches in the country right now. But there's really nothing he's done, not an accomplishment, not a big I mean, it's just that he's won more than anybody else else has at Kentucky and they remove themselves from the bottom level of power football during his time there, and that again is viewed as wow. I mean, nobody's ever won in Kentucky like this. But you're not claiming like nobody's ever won a champion national championship of Kentucky. You're just saying, like nobody's ever made them not suck consistently like Mark Stoops has. So why Mitch Barnhardt felt like he needed to give Mark Stoops the contract that he gave him. No, I mean, the Caliperry lifetime contract was insane, and you got lucky. Cali Perry did you a favor, which sounds like he's not happy that he did that now, but he did you a favor. He walked or you didn't have to pay any money, and he found a landing spot. Arkansas was willing to pay him a lot of money. Nobody's doing that with Mark Stoops.
Speaker 3: Your kid many marks.
Speaker 2: It was the tenth highest paid one of the I think he's like number eight and number nine when it comes to the highest paid coaches in college football. Mark Stoops is not walking away from nine million a year, which is generational wealth. Really every season he coaches, and he knows that he wouldn't get seventy to sixty to seventy percent of that salary elsewhere if he gets another job. So like, he may hate it there, but he'll deal with some knuckleheads online complaining if it's if it comes down to, like, hm, should I keep coaching and make nine million a year to where I could be terrible and we could He didn't have a worse season than we did this past year, and they'd have to fire me and pay me or should I just walk away? Because you know, Billy in Pikeville's upset, and he called the Coaches show crime like, you know, like it's I mean, and I don't mean to pile on. I mean I kind of do, but I was really blown away. And if you listen to the show somewhat consistently, I know you heard me mention this at least once. It was it was insane. The Kentucky fans were just acting like he's going to ride off into the sunset and just walk away because you guys got frustrated, Like what world are you living in? Who walks away from nine million dollars a year? Nobody like and they just assume, well, you know, yeah, he's he's really not happy. He really is having a tough time, you know which, by the way, he did say that he was, you know, I can't think of the exact way he described it, but I mean before the season and during the season, he talked about how it's not sustainable doing what he's doing, raising money and making sure players are gonna get in il taken care of and all that like his compleat didn't mean he was gonna walk away, because he could be probably three times more frustrated, and you know, I guess bitter towards the fan base who doesn't appreciate him the way he probably feels like he should be appreciated. You could take all the feeling he has now and times it by three, four, maybe five, and you'd still be a fool, I think to expect him to just walk away avoid that contract.
Speaker 3: Nobody does that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: My voice got so high.
Speaker 3: That's excitement. Yeah, I mean, look, it's a relief.
Speaker 2: It is a relief to know that that we don't have to you know, because they we'll get to it on the other side.
Speaker 3: But I need to get to a breaks what I need to do. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We'll come back on the other side. If you guys would to join us on the show, you can. Phone lines are open five O two, five to seven. One seventy nine hundred is the number. This is I was gonna say the Football Posting Show, It's not. This is Coffee and Company. Feelbout Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: This is Coffee and Company and we are Field Beth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. I'm gonna do this. We're gonna talk basketball coming up here in the four o'clock hour. If you're on hold and you wanted to talk hoops, that's fine because you know I want to talk coops as well, but I'm going to try to. I mean, there's a whole lot to get to when it comes to both sides here basketball and football. But when it comes to the Governor's Cup game, a lot of people on the text line kind of expressing the same thing in their own way. As far as it didn't feel as satisfying as you as you thought it would, because it was just the relief of having it back and not having to hear from them anymore about being you know, they're still going to tell you that they won five out of six, which is true, but man, it was so hard to bring them down to reality whenever they have had this false perception of themselves as a program, and you know, like talking about going seven and five three five in the SEC but beating Louisville, and then they would talk about potentially it's our year to win the East and like that's insane, but it won. Is a program that has never really had to deal with success before, so they don't know how to do it. But it's also hard to like clown them whenever they could point to the scoreboard and say, but we're beating you, and you know it's true. Now, there was clearly some circumstances in play. One of them was Bobby got canned.
Speaker 3: They got that.
Speaker 2: That's when they got it back. Next year, Sack came in and he's the worst fit for the rivalry and really Stoops, I think knew he could alpha Sadurfield and he did. And then you know, from then on they lost to Sack a couple more times, and then last year was a game that really Louisville needs to own it. They lost, but you know, Louisville was a better team, and everybody knew that. There's a reason Louisvell has always come in favored in these games because objective people say, look like Louisve's better. Now you don't win, it didn't matter, but they have a level of arrogance about themselves that I think is more than anything, rooted by the fact that they started owning this rivalry and you can't take that away from them. But just to know that you beat them forty one to fourteen, and it could have been a lot worse was it was satisfying. But more than anything, it's just a relief because if you watch Kentucky even a little bit this year, I mean, they were terrible and I had fear that, you know.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: That's why I was a lunatic in the first half and even when they scored in the beginning of the third quarter, because I'm like, how can you not be up more?
Speaker 3: Right now? This is insane?
Speaker 2: But in the end it worked out. Louisvill wins forty one to fourteen. All right, let's go to the phone lines. Bibot two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys want to join us. We'll start things off here with Jerry. Jerry, what's happening?
Speaker 5: Brother?
Speaker 1: Say?
Speaker 6: Nick?
Speaker 5: First things first, I want to correct you on something you said. It's John Sumraw, not John Slarman.
Speaker 3: Did I say Sarmon? I'm a dumb ass. I'm sorry you.
Speaker 5: Did I think that's the offensive line coach.
Speaker 3: He passed away right right? Correct? Yeah, I'm sorry, thank you.
Speaker 5: And then, real Quick, I felt exactly like you at halftime. I felt like it should have at least been thirty one to nothing if you go back, Schuck missed Isaac Brown out of the backfield for a sure touchdown, and then for whatever reason, Jeff Brohn thinks he has to get cute and go with that reverse and we end up with a fumble where we should have at least walked away with a field goal.
Speaker 2: And the bell steps out of bounds. Huggins Bruce drops a pass in the end zone like we were we were. I mean, look, I'm glad they won the way they did, but I was not thrilled with the offensive play calling in the first half.
Speaker 5: True, And I felt exactly the same way I've always said talked about stops. Real Quick, he's getting his nine million for beating us when we were down. That's at the end of the day. That's the way I see it.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're rob.
Speaker 5: Real quick basketball. I looked, did you watch a press conference today with Kelsey?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't know who it was that asked the question about shooting percentages, but I thought it was a real fair question. I thought he sort of blew him off, you know, and he said, well, we did pretty good, didn't we. I think I think he's somewhat fearful to talk about the shooting percentages because he doesn't wanted to get in the guy's minds. I've looked it up. Only two guys three pointing three point shooting percentages have increased since last year, and that's rain Smith and Hadley. Everybody else's is down and down in a big way. I mean, Cason Pryor was down almost twenty percentage points. There's lots of guys that are down eight, ten, twelve percentage points. So I think he's fearful to talk about it, doesn't want it in their head. And I thought it was a legit question that he dodged, and he shouldn't have. I wanted to hear his answer. He keeps saying that we're a good shooting team and it may prove out, but we're seven games in and we don't look like a good shooting team. To me, I'm happy. Don't don't get me wrong, I'm not. I'm not here beating him uppy was what he's done so far. But but you cannot deny that we're we're not shooting the ball well from the perimeter.
Speaker 2: And a lot of them times, Jerry aren't great shots. Like I know, everybody's got the green light light.
Speaker 3: Go ahead. You had one more points?
Speaker 1: You there?
Speaker 5: Still yeah, I'm here, you still got me? Okay, one more thing. Last year, you and I had a little disagreement about talent versus no talent on that team. So I've been I've been tracking the guys and and I think the jury's still out on you know, and I don't know if there'll be a I'm right, you're wrong, or you're right I'm wrong. I think at the end of the day, I think it's gonna be some somewhat gray. But I wanted to read out something to you real quick if I could. I looked up every guy. I looked up every guy. I'm gonna give you their statue of quick Curtis Williams one point three points, one point seven rebounds, Sky Clark four point nine points, two point run rebounds, two point seven assists, Trainer seven point nine and five four, Trey White seven six and five four Bradley Huntley Hatfield ten seven and six one, Tyler three point seven, one point seven, one point eight assist. He's only shooting twenty eight percent from the field. A Corps four one point eight and three point zero. Haleb Glenn thirteen point three, four point one. Dennis Evens has never played, Javanovich has never played. Percy Miller's playing at a real low level. He's averaging eight point three and two point eight. So were we talented? I don't know. Like I said, I think the jury's still out, but I'm gonna track that through the year. I think I think we got too much of a small sample size. But I said, I think I think our argument somewhere in the middle right now, based on those numbers. You agree with.
Speaker 2: That I do, and Jerry, I appreciate the call. I'll say this real quickly, and I want to get to the to the to the Pat Kelsey comment. But when it comes to the talent argument, I would simply go out of my way, and I did. Jerry's right, Like I would argue with people that like, this team has players that are capable. My argument was more so though, about that there's no reason you should be as bad as you are, not because you have talent that's good enough to like be anywhere.
Speaker 3: Close to what Louisville expects.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, you know, talent is all in the eye of the beholder as far as what you how you view it, what you view as talent, that kind of stuff. So, you know, I think Caleb Glenn's got a lot of ability. Now I don't know if he's great at one thing, but he's got a motor, he's athletic, he's got good size.
Speaker 3: You could use him.
Speaker 2: You know, he's playing and putting up good numbers at FAU, So maybe that's where he's better, better suited. I think Tyler Johnson ended up at Louisville because of you know, well, I still will argue with anybody that kid can play.
Speaker 3: He's got talent. Now I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's playing behind an All American caliber guy in Hunter Salas there, so maybe that's part of the reason. But you know, you ended up he end up coming to Louisville to play for Kenny Payn because he didn't have any other options. He nobody would take a risk on him because his eligibility was in question, and it didn't look good and then somehow it worked out. Curtis Williams Junior. Don't know why he's not playing at Georgetown. So again, I still think that those guys were legitimately ranked where they were ranked for you know, good reason. I just think last year's team, like the fact that they were eight and what eight and twenty something. I mean, that's where I feel like, you know, there's just no reason to have a record that bad when you have play. I mean, it's probably not worth going down this hole because we need to move on. But Kinnny Payne lost to Kentucky Westley when he only played four and five star recruits in the game. I mean like that, So that's really where the talent thing came from my end. It's like, there's no excuse to lose to that team ever at Louisville. But you did it with guys that like a lot of schools wanted. So you're right, there's probably no no scenario where we're gonna get to who's right who's wrong. But I would say that Brandon Helly Hatfield would be really really perfect for this team. I mean he just would because of how he plays, and you don't have that big physical presence, and he really kind of came into his own and he's doing well in NC State. Not an elite guy, but he's doing well. All right, I'll get to his comment about the shooting percentages because actually what I'll do is I'll carry that over to the four o'clock hour when we talk basketball, because I think, you know, I don't want to get into as much pats exchange. We can play for you guys, but you know, he built this team to be a shooting team, and he's not gonna tell them to stop shooting at this point. But the numbers prove that right now they're not. I mean, there's a lot of different ways you can look at how good a team is at shooting the ball, but the percentage is the best way to really, I mean, there's really no argument there. That's numbers, it's facts, and they're not a great shooting team. They've got the ability to get hot. They've got a couple of guys rainsmiths specifically, they can light it up. But other than that, I think these guys are dangerous enough from three to where they're going to be able to to fire it when they get a decent look. But some of these guys are taking good looks. They're they're just kind of yacking it up at times. And that's I mean, hasn't killed him yet, but it's still something I think they could improve at.
Speaker 3: But as far as we see that, I don't know.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go back in fall on five two, five, seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number. Let's welcome in, Dave. Dave, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 6: What's happening, hey, Kentucky says that they beat us five in a row. Well, one of those five wins was voided.
Speaker 3: I mean, remember that's truth.
Speaker 6: Four foot down. So I'm tired of this crap about Kentucky beat US five in row. You know, Sadderfield never could get a handle on the rivalry at for some reason. And you're right, I mean Stoops is getting nine million a year because he beat Louisville. I mean, that's that's the only reason.
Speaker 2: And he's beloved by his fans mostly I think because he started beating Louisville. Like I know that he clearly before losing, before he started beating Louisville in any way, he did give the a little bit of life to where they were they were not. They were better than they were in the Joker era. They were probably a little bit better than they were with Brooks. But what really I think gave their fan base this, this you know, this view of themselves that really wasn't realistic at all, like they're in their own world, was that they started beating up on Louisville and I just, you know, it's hard for me to to to you know, to dunk on them whenever they would beat us. But I think now that they don't have the cup, and they realize, if they're being honest with themselves, Jeff Bram's got a lot of momentum and it's gonna be hard to beat him consistently, Like you know, you can't do it like you did against Sadderfield. I just think that's why there's they want something new, because they know that the best football from Stoops is probably in the rear view, not in the future.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, I read where bread Brad White might be leaving for Florida State, and I don't know if that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's wait.
Speaker 2: That actually was rumored before the season finale, that that he could he could end up being there, and obviously that would be. I mean, they had a terrible year, but obviously that would be a better gig for him and a better chance, especially if they end up making a big comeback next year and they really bounce back in a really good and the defense as a factor, that'll give him a better look. Bradwhy wants to be a head coach right now? His best chance to get a good job would be to go to Florida State, revive their defense, and get a job from there. At Kentucky, he probably realizes, hey, we're not going to be very good, at least not right now. Therefore, if I stick around here and use Kentucky's DC job to potentially get a head coaching job, it may never happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Florida State, boy, they are really down. I mean they were two and ten this year, and I don't know if Norville can turn them around to the point where he can satisfy their fans, because I thought he'd be gone after this year, you know, based on what he did this year.
Speaker 2: Yep, no doubt, David. I appreciate the call Florida State the most disappointing team in college football this year, not even close, and that's why you see a staff change. I mean, he didn't have a choice for him to salvage his situation. I mean, they didn't have the money to fire him, but for him to salvage the situation with his fans, he had to go. Mean because Norvell did enough in two years to where he does kind of get a mulligan. But also though they were so bad, like they were the worst team in the country offensively this year when it comes to power programs, I mean it went even close. So that's why you see Gus Melzon walk away from the head coaching job at Central Florida to go call plays at Florida State, and you're gonna see him go after a decordinator. And I wouldn't be shocked if Brad White doesn't end up getting that job. Wouldn't be shocked if he does. But like it's just I mean, there's probably a defensive coordinator that has been successful elsewhere that might be just as attractive to Florida State as Brad White. So yeah, I mean Florida State, I mean it really is. I think the biggest surprise team as far as being good was Indiana. The biggest surprise as far as the team that was terrible was Florida State. But I actually think when it comes to just like, wait a second, how the hell did that happen? And I actually think it's more of a surprise at how bad Florida State was. I don't know, it still doesn't seem real when I see Indiana be able to lose a game and still be in the playoff, Like that's something that still doesn't seem real, to be honest with you, all Right, we got to get to a break. We'll keep this party rolling along. We will talk some hoops coming up here at at four o'clock because I haven't really had a chance to kind of fully share my thoughts on everything that came with the Battle for Atlantis experience. Still a positive situation, no doubt, but man, they got a lot more tough games ahead here in the next couple of weeks. And without Case and Pryor, I mean that changes things. Pat Kelsey acknowledged that today that without him it does kind of change the complexion of this team. I mean, he's gonna he's gonna give you the old next man up line, and I think it's legit. I think he's given I mean Kahannie Russ is going to be tasked with a lot more minutes and a lot more opportunity. But I felt like it wasn't really anything Pat said today. It was kind of how he said it. I think more than Anything's just really sad for his team and for Caseon to be on the shelf the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: But part of me won, you know.
Speaker 2: I think I think he realizes, yeah, this changes us, which you know isn't good. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere. It's coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Monday afternoon, it is coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's if you haven't already. You'll save money at the gas pump and that'll probably lead to you putting, you know, getting gas and seeing all the promotional stuff that they've got out there at the pumps and all the stuff that you see on the windows and you're gonna think like, wow, I got to go inside. I got to get myself one of these new food items, like the breakfast sandwich that is a sausage and cheese breakfast sandwich, but instead of a bun, it's it's waffles.
Speaker 3: It's so delicious.
Speaker 2: So again, we appreciate our family over there at Thornton's. Make sure you keep them in mind for a variety of things. But I'm telling you, if you haven't given them a shot when it comes to food, you're missing out. You're missing out, and I don't want you to miss out.
Speaker 6: I want you to.
Speaker 2: I want you to experience the greatness that is Thornton's like I experience every day. So just another reminder how great they are and that if you're not taking advantage of everything they do, then you're missing out, all right, So real quick, what a week it was for rivalries in college football, and I'm here for every bit of it like today, And I said this earlier this morning when I was on the ksrpre show with Billy that the rivalry stuff with pepper spray people trying to plant flags and Austin will appreciate this. It had like a hint of WWE with it, and it made it better.
Speaker 3: Like this is entertainment, man.
Speaker 2: I know we shouldn't be wanting to see people get pepper sprayed or fights or anything like that, but come on, we're watching this to be entertained. I mean, that's what it is. And I'm sure if you're a fan of a program and you want your guys to be respectful and have a lot of class and sportsmanship, like I get it. I shouldn't mock you because that's not a crazy thought to have. But I don't know as as somebody without really a dog in the fight when it comes to these rivalry games. You know, I didn't really have any rooting interest for any any rivalry matchup, to be honest with you. But seeing everything play out the way it did with these fights that took place between n C State and North Carolina. Obviously the Ohio State Michigan situation, that was crazy with the pepper spray and all that.
Speaker 4: So what about the did you see the Arizona and Arizona State the mascots?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and that was that real? I don't I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean they look like they were throwing, but that could have probably been, you know, two mascots just kind of I.
Speaker 2: Saw it in kind of you know, I got a I got a little amusement out of it, and then I just kept scrolling because I kind of didn't want to watch it and feel like it was fake, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean, because I wanted it to be real to suspend your disbelief. Yeah, so, uh look it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what made it to where like it wasn't playful, like maybe they knew they were going to do it because they're wearing a mascot suit and they probably won't get hurt, but they really wanted to make it look real because it did, you know, got a lot of attention. But you're right, like it wasn't There wasn't any like little soft punches thrown like it was. I think it might have been. Was it was it the Wildcat of Arizona.
Speaker 3: It was like he was Gilber Wildcat. Yeah, he was getting aggressive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I.
Speaker 4: Could tell you just from a person that lived there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: They do.
Speaker 4: They they absolutely Arizona State and Arizona do not like each other.
Speaker 3: That's where it should be. That's what rivalries are.
Speaker 2: Man bad Blood now Ryan Day losing to Michigan. I mean, I know they've still got a spot in the playoff it looks like, but I mean, I don't think that as of now, things could have played out worse for him, because you know, they beat all the teams they're supposed to be but they didn't beat Oregon in Oregon's first year in the Big Ten. And Oregon is the only undefeated team left as far as you know, fighting for a playoff spot, and they have one there. I mean, they're undefeated, they're the number one team in the country. But like Ohio State was there, could have won and didn't. Not a bad loss by any means, but at Ohio State, it's the level of programming college football. There really isn't a loss where you sit back and say, huh, what are you gonna do? We played such and such like you're Ohio State and now this is an example of where nil you can play it to get you know, to give yourself maybe you know, benefit of the data. For example, there are there are coaches out there who stink, and they stink because they're not good coaches, but also because they don't have any resources within il. So what they can do is like they can, they can have short and basically say like what do you want me to do? We got to pay to get players now, because like it gives them an out, like okay, well yeah, I guess it is going to be hard for Jim Mora to win at Yukon because it's Yukon football.
Speaker 3: They're not even in a conference.
Speaker 2: But also when it's public that you got the bags and you're giving them out in a way nobody else is, and you come up short like you are on front Street as an underperformer, and like there's really no excuse for it. Now, Michigan this year being bad and not being anywhere close to what they were in the previous three four years. I mean again, that's why I think it played out maybe as bad as it possibly could for Ryan Day and now again, maybe they go to the playoff and they win it all.
Speaker 3: I doubt it.
Speaker 2: But they had the most expensive roster in college football. He makes a ton of money. They went out and hired Chip Kelly to call the plays. You had previous Ohio State coaches like urban Meyer even Tressel doing interviews throughout the season or maybe before the season saying that they have never seen a collection of talent like they've seen on this Ohio State roster and.
Speaker 3: They are bad.
Speaker 2: They're going to the playoff, but it's Ohio State, and everybody knew that, like this was the year to bounce back from last year. And they lose to Michigan again in a year where like that was the year to beat him.
Speaker 3: Like Louisville.
Speaker 2: The nerves and the anxiousness that I had and really just you know, kind of going insane like a psychopath. Whenever Louisville wasn't up forty at halftime, it's because I just knew, look, if we can't beat him, now, good god. And that's what it was for Ohio State this year, and they still lost at home. Like I mean, I get it if you're Ohio State, because you have expectations, like you've for the most part always probably lived as an Ohio State fan and your program was elite, and now you've fallen down. And if they lost to Michigan this year, Michigan was like ranked right next to him, it's still would have been painful. But this is a team that went what I guess, they go seven and five with that win. Like Sean Moore, he's gotta be a really good next year he's out, I would say, m hm. So I mean and another fan base that like, I'm not really like, do you know what, hey, Miami fans like legitimately like people who are like, man, they're they're they're living and dying by what the Canes do.
Speaker 3: I don't either.
Speaker 4: So I know one person I used to work at ups with, ye was he legit jit or benwe He was because he liked all the other Miami teams to be as a Dolphins fan and Heat fan and all that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that makes sense well, because I actually think you could make the case that, like they had a year where they could have I mean, them losing to Syracuse. Credit to fran Brown and his guys for having his team up and doing what they needed to do to get Clemson in the a SEC Championship game. But Miami, I mean, they lost that game and it removed them from the playoff, and now they have a they have a good year for like what they've done. I mean, this is probably the first time they've won ten regular season games in a long long time, but they didn't accomplish anything. And I think now when you're right there and all you got to do is kind of not screw up in the last couple of games to find yourself in the playoff. And when I say not screw up, I don't mean like, for example, Indiana went played Ohio State, Like that's not not screwing up, right, that's the loss that you're like you're walking into. You just hope to be more competitive. All Miami had to do is go beat Syracuse, who you know is a fine team, but like, you know, you were supposed to win that game and you screwed up. So like I think Miami probably is feeling maybe not as bad as Ohio State fans because in Ohio State still has a chance to win the national championship, but like Miami craped the bed and there's not a whole lot of talk about it because it's Miami, and yes they are a brand, but like even their home games aren't well attended, like they don't have I mean, they're a national school because of what they did like long long ago, And I guess there's some transplants spread out, Like a lot of the Miami fans that were at the Louisville Miami game this year, I think they were Kentucky fans dressed in Miami gear or they never really had a team, so they were just like, yeah, the you they're cool because there was a what was a time where Miami had the cool factor probably like no other school. Yeah, but like that's that's kind of faded. So you know, I don't feel as bad about the Stanford loss knowing that like other teams kind of did the same thing.
Speaker 3: It's still something I don't want to revisit.
Speaker 2: I don't want to think about, because man, that was brutal because I think you would have been right there with the potential path to get in if you didn't lose to Stanford. And here I am about to block out just thinking about it. But you know, other teams did it too, And I still think Louisville football and I'll rap here, we got to get to our break, and we got two more hours to go, and I certainly want to talk some basketball with you guys.
Speaker 3: But eight and four, he had.
Speaker 2: Knocked off Clemson for the first time ever at their play, still a win that has value, and you also into the street to Kentucky, and the three teams you lost to all ended up being good teams. You had the one head scratcher of a loss, which unfortunately has been there forever. I feel like with Louisville football, so again, could have been better. But I still think you've got momentum heading into year three with Jeff Brown, especially if you can keep some of these guys here, because man, the future's bright, especially with those young running backs. All right, quick break, we've got the four o'clock hour coming up next right here, it is Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's I'm Nick Coffee ees to Montgomery alongside taking you up till six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety