Speaker 1: And aside slavery, child sacrifice, women, a second class citizens, a global flood that never happened, power of Bible that never happened, in exodus that never happened. And that's just the first few books. If the Bible is a divine word of an all knowing God, it's the worst edited book in history. You believe the Bible is a good book, all in make the cads for it because the show it starts now. Hello, everybody. Today is August second of twenty twenty six. It is not August second, it is August ninth of twenty twenty six. I'm sorry. We want to welcome you all to the atheist experience. Thanks for joining us today. I'm Jim Burrows, and joining me right now is Jamie the Blind lamey. Oh, I'm sorry, Kelly, I'm looking at the wrong person.
Speaker 2: That's so great, Jamie, he's just their bank up push. Yes, Jamie is here. You're not hallucinating.
Speaker 3: I'm a professional. I know what I'm doing. So it has been a little while. What have you been up to?
Speaker 2: I you know, not much. I mean we just got to see each other about a week ago. So and Jim, I dude, I always look forward to hanging out with you. So I was, and I was supposed to just be the backup post.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 2: When I found out that you did sell me to step up, I was like, yes, I get to work with Jim again.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well hopefully I get to stay the entire show. We do have storms in about an hour ago, my power went out for about two seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh that sucks. Well we got Jamie just in case. Yeah, so we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Being out in you know, southern Alabama, out and the Sticks has its benefits, but it also has its drawbacks.
Speaker 3: I live in the Sticks too, so I totally get it.
Speaker 1: I totally yeah. And Alabama just there infrastructure sucks. So it is what it is us. Well, we are the Atheist Experience. It is a product of the Atheist Community of Boston, a five h one c three nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the.
Speaker 3: Segregation of religion and government.
Speaker 1: This means that you can give us a tax free donation as many as you want, the more of the marrier, and no not only is going to a good cause, but also that it helps you too. We are tri streaming tonight, So a big shout out to our viewers on TikTok and YouTube mobile. If you're watching on TikTok tonight and you'd like to talk to us, request to join and we'll bring you up on stage. Please make sure that you are over eighteen years of age before doing so, especially if you're coming from TikTok.
Speaker 3: Take some calls, Kelly, Yeah, eh, if we got calls, let's just jump right in. Alrighty, So our.
Speaker 1: First caller is Donald from either Louisiana or LA. So you want to talk about the unactualized actualizer and you're an atheist?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I was invited here. I was previously on from the What is It talk? Even Yeah yeah, okay. So basically the argument would be, there is actuality, something exists. You can doubt almost anything. You can doubt your senses, you can doubt whether the world looks anything like how you perceive it. You can even entertain the possibility that you're dreaming or living in the simulation. But the information that distance exists cannot itself be eliminated by skepticism, like the stamente existence exists to exist, at least as on an informational level, and you could go so far as saying it's a thought or or proposition in order to even be considered. So as we begin with actuality, something is and one something is, we immediately have distinction between existence and non existence, and things being true and things being false, between a and not a, And distinction is important because without distinction we cannot have information. If for this, I'm going to define information at a fundamental level as structured distinction between possible states. If there is no difference whatsoever, there is nothing to distinguish, nothing to compare, and nothing to measure, and nothing to inform or give information. Now consider change. Suppose something is cool old and becomes hot or or late, and so heat moves moves into the object. Before the change, being hot was possible. Afterward hot is actual, So we moved from potentially hot to actually hot.
Speaker 1: So let me just center up here, as you started with a really really good topic, and energy, an energy be created or described?
Speaker 5: Can energy be ordered or described?
Speaker 3: And to be created or described?
Speaker 5: Well, the law of thermo dynamic says energy can either be created nor destroyed.
Speaker 1: So so I don't need anything more than energy to I mean energy is that on actualized, actualized. Right, it's the thing that, as far as we can tell, is responsible for the beginning the universe.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, okay, well I would argue before well I was going to get to this, but I would argue space and time is more fundamental than energy, and I would matter, and then I.
Speaker 1: I can is it? I can destroy matter. I mean that within a nuclear explosion. So it doesn't that doesn't get men. And you can't get any more basic than energy because energy equals MC squared. Yeah, energy is all I need.
Speaker 5: No, I think information is more fundamental than energy. Prove it.
Speaker 3: What what do you make with information without energy? Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, some rules like the fact that existence exists, or the logical rules like non contradiction, I would say, make energy possible, like energy and changing.
Speaker 3: Yeah much, sure, I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 1: And please the Yeah, the laws, the laws of logic require a mind to understand. Right, they are a way that we describe the universe. So it's math.
Speaker 3: So how how is that fundamental?
Speaker 5: Okay? Some of the rules of logic are you could say, or more concepts and there are approximations. But I I would say, some logical rules you are are are prior like the for energy to happen, for actions and energy to happen. You're saying, oh, there's a there's a higher energy state and then there's like a lower energy state. Well, that requires a distinction in space and time, Like.
Speaker 3: I don't think you said that.
Speaker 1: No, you don't need to say in space of time, right, and whether you need a distinction in space time or space and time depending on which the area of time you go with. Right, we don't even know that which are those two things are real?
Speaker 3: So to say that.
Speaker 1: There is a distinction or something like that, yeah, okay, So what I don't see how you get to needing anything more than energy.
Speaker 5: Well, there's the information of the distinction between being in this position and this time and being in this position and time and going from one state to another. There's information there, Okay, in those two states. That's information.
Speaker 2: Okay, And what and what what is? What is your point that there's information there?
Speaker 3: I'm a little.
Speaker 5: Confused for for energy to exist in different states to exist, there's thermodynamically, there's information.
Speaker 2: No, we don't need information is something that like we consciously have in our brain. Right, something can change its state from one physical state to another using energy and we never have to know that. So what I don't understand the information connection here.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's information that's just conceptual information in the mind, but there's also information like information properties like something's average kinetic energy.
Speaker 3: Or Yes, but you have to have them. Yeah, that's information.
Speaker 1: Those are just those are those are descriptions of things, and you have to.
Speaker 3: Have a mind. You have to have a mind for that.
Speaker 1: To in order to exactly you have a mind to describe something.
Speaker 2: So if you don't have a mind to observe it, then then the information doesn't matter that you don't need the information for that transformation to happen.
Speaker 5: No, No, you would need a mind to perceive it and then describe it. But the information of that still exists.
Speaker 1: Like something happening exist without a mind, right, things exist without a mind. But information is how we disc I have those things because the difference you're you're confusing the map for the territory.
Speaker 5: No, the information like quantum information isn't that's not just perception. Those those are states that can be entangled and give distinction between.
Speaker 3: All those things exist.
Speaker 1: Yes, but in order for it to be information, right, it needs to be perceived by mind. Otherwise it's just the state of things and there's no description of it. Right, it is right, just like the territory is. It doesn't matter what the MOPS has.
Speaker 5: No, there's the math implies an ontological distinction between states, whether or not it doesn't.
Speaker 2: No, you're you're I think you're donald, You're you're you're confusing the fact that when something happens that that creates information, right, But it's not creating information if there's nobody there to perceive the.
Speaker 3: Information, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you're I don't know how you're defining information if you if that's not something you agree to, and if that's and if you are defining information differently, I think I would love it if you would clarify what you mean.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll repeat the definition I stated before. Information is a structured distinction between possible states.
Speaker 2: Okay, And how do we know that that's information without presenting that?
Speaker 3: Well, that also sounds like a description to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that's that doesn't sound Yeah like I'm understood that these states, right that you're describing, how are they information without something to perceive the information? I mean, like information is just our ore is us having the ability to perceive the thing and and process it within our brain. So when you say that that's information, you're you're describing a state of things, but there's no information because there's nothing nobody there to perceive that information.
Speaker 3: Do you understand you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: No? Not, This is okay. There is a difference between conceptual information and quantum information.
Speaker 2: I understand that, Donald, I understand that. But it's still you still need a mind to perceive the information, whether it's conceptual or not. If it's conceptual, then you need a mind to conceive it, right, Yes, if the conceptual okay.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: So if you have no mind to conceive it, there is no information at all.
Speaker 5: No, No, there's information in this without a perceiver.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the problem is that you're redefining information in a way that isn't actually useful, right, because you are still attempting to say that there is a state of things, and things and states change. I'm agreeing with that or or we're disagreeing is with your is You're trying to say that information is that change, and that is not the case, right, Because you're redefining information in a way that is not useful because.
Speaker 5: It's not if you want to taking this from physics.
Speaker 1: Uh, information theory is a mathematical branch or probability and statistics and studies the quantification, storage, and communication of information. Let's see if there is an information information definition physics, it's a measurable physical property of a system. Yes, that's exactly what you're saying, and we're saying yes. But just because just because there's a system and it can be measured, there's no measurement. You can't measure it without a mind. A mind has to measure it. Otherwise the system just is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something without somebody to measure and perceive it.
Speaker 5: It just is.
Speaker 3: It's not information.
Speaker 2: It's like the way you're describing it, Donald, it sounds like you're saying that we need to have the information to make the change happen.
Speaker 5: Yes, and that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: There's a different and that's what and that's what Jim and I are are fundamental that's what Jim and I are fundamentally disagreeing with.
Speaker 3: We don't think you're correct on.
Speaker 5: That, Okay, I'm we don't.
Speaker 3: Think the information necessary for energy to exist.
Speaker 1: Yes, no mind is necessary for energy to change state exactly.
Speaker 5: No, there is there is a distinction between states that.
Speaker 3: Isn't just how was that distinction made?
Speaker 5: Donald, Well, I was going to try to get into that between the unactual lives actualizer and.
Speaker 2: Then well, well just just just it's an easy just how do you make that distinction that you're talking about?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, we use our perception to find it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, that's what we've been saying. Now you're now that's exactly what Jim and I have been saying that that But that didn't That didn't happen until you perceived it. And I don't think your understanding is it's like it's going right over your head.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I understand, I know, I understand what you're saying. This is going over your.
Speaker 2: Head of No, I understand, I completely understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I just disagree with it.
Speaker 5: Is the distinction still exists on some fundamental level.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the distinction isn't information. The distinction is just two states of being and they don't become information until somebody perceives them as information.
Speaker 5: No, that makes them a thought, That doesn't make the that that makes some conceptual information.
Speaker 3: What do you think information is? Is an information?
Speaker 5: Thoughts, that's conceptual information. That's not the information of charge and kinetic energy and.
Speaker 2: And those things aren't information. Those are charges in kinetic energy. That's not information. You just describe them as what they were not, you know. And then you were saying, well, this is esthetic energy is I don't understand what you're where? You're where you think kinetic energy is information?
Speaker 5: Explain that become then how can they then become entangled and pass and passed?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't need they don't need to know what's happening to have that.
Speaker 6: I didn't finish.
Speaker 5: I didn't finish. All right, Okay, If they're able to be entangled, and they're able to be transferred from one particle to another without with uh, and they're able to reach from a one position to another faster than the speed of light, then they are materially transfer Then they are transferring to something that isn't that isn't material.
Speaker 1: Okay, energy is a material or do you mean it does? It's not energy.
Speaker 5: It's not just the energy, it's you're you're.
Speaker 2: You're you're just taking that immatory material thing that you're talking about and you're plugging the word information into it without having a direct correlation, is what I'm seeing. Okay, Well, it's like you're using information, the word information to describe that when it doesn't really fit what you're describing.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's why I think Jim and I are confused.
Speaker 5: Fine, I can use a different word. Uh. But but physicists use the word quantum information to describe this, So it's not me doing it.
Speaker 2: I'm not a physicist. I'm not a quantum physicist. So you got to dumb it down for me.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, then what do you want to call it?
Speaker 2: I would rather have something that's more indicative of what it's actually what it actually is. And to me, to me that we've been talking about states of being, that seems to be what we're doing. We're not talking about information. We're just talking about states of being and those states changing. I thought we had already kind of defined it already without using the lot information.
Speaker 5: But it's not energy. It's more fundamental than energy and masses.
Speaker 3: How does a state change from one thing to another thing without energy?
Speaker 5: Okay, thermodynamic states require energy, but and okay, if you have okay, but if you have entropy and you have let's say a black.
Speaker 1: Hole takes into measures of energy, a measure of the energy of the state of energy.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's been you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: The early definitions of entropy were a description of usable energy, but later but later descriptions like Shannon entropy and Noyman entropy talk about the the information density impossible states.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's still energy.
Speaker 5: It's not. And there's a difference between the information of possible states and energy.
Speaker 3: It's what's the difference.
Speaker 5: The difference is that there are all of these possible there's all of these possibilities that are in that are in like a wave function that that can that information passes and shares between them. Energy is bound by the speed of light. This information, uh, this what they call quantum information. We haven't determined a different word for it can be transferred through entanglement faster than the speed of light. It's not bound.
Speaker 1: So quantum mechanics isn't also energy. I mean, the quantum aren't also energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but I'm wondering what it's like. You're saying that these quanta, that this quantum movement isn't energy.
Speaker 5: Okay, the force carrier particles do carry energy to carry the carry information that changes the field, and the change in the field is the energy. But the energy is emergent of these particle interactions and all of these possibilities in the wave function. The information in that is more fundamental than the then the energy transfer, the energy transfer is emergent from these interactions.
Speaker 3: We didn't say.
Speaker 2: We didn't say that the energy transfer wasn't pertinent, you know, but we're what we're saying is it has.
Speaker 3: To be there. Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like you were describing this thing. You were describing it as if there was no energy there. Well, it doesn't matter if the energy is the pertinent thing there. It's still there making the movement happen, right, making there are that the state's changed.
Speaker 5: There are some systems where information is only transferred, like in a black hole. It absorbs all of this, all of all of this matter.
Speaker 3: I don't think we know the inside of the black hole, do we.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I'm trying to get on the event horizon. On the event horizon, the information is preserved on the event horizon and it's entangled with the things in the black hole. But the information has been separated from the matter and the energy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me let me just ask this something more fundamental. Is your unactualized actualizer natural or is it a mind?
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's it's not a it's not a mind.
Speaker 3: I get.
Speaker 5: I get from the unactualized the actualizer to Plotinus, is the one and the one is not a mind because consciousness is a change, is a changing process, and it can I don't believe consciousness can occur before time and the one being an unchanging thing. H I don't think it can have it can be conscious because consciousness is itself changing and the one is chang. Okay, it is okay, the one, Okay. The unactualized actualizer is pure actuality. All the things with potent parts, potential and actual emerge from it. So it's it's it could, it could. It's pure actuality. That is like an ontological ground that makes that makes it to where all of these things with potential can happen. It's it's like it's like the unity between things. It makes it makes it to where measurement and distinction can exist. But it's not like made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, measurement and extension are require a change. And you're saying that all changes in this thing. Therefore it's one thing that doesn't make any sense either, right.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, it's it's okay. If you have a plant and it grows out of the ground, it grew from the ground and absorb orbs light and water and nutrients from the ground. But it isn't But the ground itself is not alive, but life is able to emerge from it.
Speaker 6: It's it's like the set.
Speaker 5: That contains all sets. It's it contains everything within it, and it's omnipresent, and it's beyond time and space. But but it's like it's like logic or maths. It's more fundamental than logical masks. But it's think of it like that.
Speaker 6: It's like it.
Speaker 5: It has the rules from which everything can emerge from it, just like a life emerging from the ground. It makes life possible, but it itself is not alive. It has living things growing from it and within it.
Speaker 3: And how did you figure all this out?
Speaker 5: Well, well, it's not me. I'm taking arguments from like Plato and Blondness and Aristotle.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I think you're from Plato that involves physics and quantum mechanics.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm extending those ideas, and.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what I'm asking. That's what I'm asking. That's what I'm asking. Donald got You took this idea and this idea and this idea and this idea, and you mashed them all together. Right, But what makes you think that when you matched all these things together that this was correct?
Speaker 5: Well, I examined the premises from many philosophers.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've done the same thing. I'm asking you what made you think that you particularly were correct?
Speaker 3: What is it that you know?
Speaker 2: I understand the process you talk, but what is it in that process that made you figure it out?
Speaker 3: What was the straw that broke the camel's back for you?
Speaker 5: I used logic to try to figure out what premises work and what premises don't work and don't contradict each other, and what fits all the knowledge and inform and evidence and information I know, with having the least assumptions possible, and decided that this is the most probabilistically true thing.
Speaker 3: So you just thought it up on your own, basically, well by a physicistist.
Speaker 5: I have a bachelor's in physics and I'm working toward or the PhD. But I mean, I've talked to other physicists about this, but they they usually come to the point where I'm talking. I'm talking about metaphysics and ontological things. They which is beyond the realm of science because you can't examine lots of the concepts I'm talking about empirically. But a lot of them take the thing of oh well, I they take materialism, but I don't think materialism describes everything.
Speaker 3: Most so you're just making stuff.
Speaker 5: No I have I have no I know.
Speaker 3: Don't hear me out for a minute.
Speaker 2: I understand you've got a bunch of things that you are using evidence, but you put it all together and you made up what you believe right.
Speaker 5: Now using logic. Yes, but that's no, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I just that's using your logic, yes, right, using your logic. You took information that you found and you came up with your own idea correct.
Speaker 5: Uh, yes, but taking from.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, how do you know that your idea, especially about metaphysics, How do you know that this is true?
Speaker 5: I don't know for sure. I just think if fits all the evidence with as little assumptions as possible.
Speaker 1: I don't have a Do you have a do you have a formal metaphysical have you made a formal metaphysical argument out of your thoughts and ideas?
Speaker 5: Yes, I have a formal metaphysical argument.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: I was reading off of a script I had wrote in prepared for the show. But I haven't published a book or a paper on it.
Speaker 1: It hasn't been here, Retten. Yeah, I didn't ask that. I asked if you'd actually put this into a formal argument. All right, So it's your first premise, okay.
Speaker 5: My first premise was that there is actuality that uh, that's something exists and beyond beyond skepticism.
Speaker 1: The information beyond skepticism even means yeah, I don't either. Okay, You've got beyond which indicates some sort of property being beyond something that is a concept called skepticism or a process or whatever you want to say.
Speaker 3: It beyond skepticism makes no sense. Okay.
Speaker 5: Well I'm I'm saying, if you doubt something existing, I think there is one thing that is beyond any doubt of existing, because any attempt to doubt it, for pre presupposes that it exists. The idea, the information that exists.
Speaker 1: There's no If you doubt something, there's no presupposition, then you doubt exists.
Speaker 5: You're doubting is false.
Speaker 3: I doubt Does that mean it? Does?
Speaker 1: I doubt you're made of chocolate? Are you actually made of chocolate? Do we have an actual chocolate statue talking to us? Because I doubt you're made of chocolate?
Speaker 2: Thank you for taking that to the total absurd term. I appreciate that. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no no. If you what I'm saying is if you doubt the the that the distinction that between existence and non existence, you say, oh, I doubt that you're you're saying I think that's not true. But thinking that's not true, who relies on the.
Speaker 7: Assumption I know?
Speaker 3: So you forget you forget that.
Speaker 1: In philosophy, there while it is true that any proposition is either true or false, there are three positions you can take. You can accept the proposition is true, you can reject it as false. And you can also say I don't know. If I say I don't know, I have not taken a position on a proposition being true or false.
Speaker 5: Okay, but fine, But if you're saying you don't know, doubt arguments.
Speaker 3: Only if I say it.
Speaker 1: Only if I say the proposition is false, or if I say the proposition is true.
Speaker 3: Do I need to provide argument for either of these things?
Speaker 1: If I say I don't know, I'm asking for an argument to or evidence to prove that something is true or false, to prove that the proposition is true or false.
Speaker 3: I can doubt all I want.
Speaker 5: Yes, you can be like, I don't know, but fine, then you have him brought a counter argument to.
Speaker 1: I don't need a counter argument I'm not making. I'm not making a clam I'm not claiming the proposition is true. I'm not claiming the proposition is false. Only when I make either of those claims, do I actually have to provide an argument?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, then then I would say there's no there's no way to bring a counter I haven't. I don't see a way to bring a counter argument against what policy is that it doesn't contradict itself?
Speaker 3: And what policy is that? Hey, you can't think of one.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's only a fallacy if I'm saying that proves it that doesn't I could I couuld be. It could be beyond my perception, and I'm not able to see that. I'm not saying this is one hundred percent certainty. But I've said, it's beyond skepticism.
Speaker 1: But sane, I don't know peven that man has no meaning, that that literally has no meaning.
Speaker 3: No, those two words together don't mean anything.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 6: You're going to say, I don't because I can.
Speaker 1: Take the client. I can take the stand that I don't know. Right, that's not beyond skepticism.
Speaker 5: Oh but you're not. Really, you're not presenting a counter argument.
Speaker 1: I don't have to.
Speaker 3: I don't have to.
Speaker 1: I've got a Let's say I got a thing full of pens here. You know what, if I say I don't know if they're odd or even, does that mean they're odder or are they even? Have I made a claim to whether they're even? There's an odd or even number of pens in my pen?
Speaker 3: Cut?
Speaker 1: Have I made a claim as to that? If I say I don't know if it's odd or even, which claim? If I meant you haven't made a claim, You're right.
Speaker 3: That's my point exactly.
Speaker 1: So there's no such thing as beyond skepticism, because in order for that to happen, that means that you have to make a claim about a proposition, either claim that it is true or that it is false, and you don't have to. You can simply say I'm waiting further information.
Speaker 2: Okay, but or are you Are you equating skepticism with cynicism?
Speaker 5: Okay, fine, I get I think I was equating skepticism with cynicism because saying I don't know is skepticism.
Speaker 1: But yeah, waiting for evidence before making a decision is also skepticism.
Speaker 2: I really want to understand you, Donald, I really do, but I'm not sure that you have the language that you need to communicate it.
Speaker 3: In a viable way.
Speaker 2: And it's just not it's not just Jemini that don't understand. I'm looking at the people in the text chat. Nobody really understands what you're trying to get at. Nobody's really sure what your point has been through this whole a whole.
Speaker 5: Argument in a whole script, and it doesn't make sense if you cut off like near the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we asked, we asked you for premise one, and your premise one makes no sense and has nothing nothing to agree.
Speaker 3: It says nothing.
Speaker 2: And we're not going to sit here while you read your script for twenty minutes either.
Speaker 3: That's just not going to en No.
Speaker 1: I mean and premise so we don't even so we don't even have to go past promise one because it makes no sense. I wing to rejected premise one is nonsensical, and the rest of the argument follows, right, because your argument depends on premise one, just like it depends on all your other premises to get to your conclusion. Right, Okay, we've rejected premise one is being nonsensical, so why would we accept your conclusion?
Speaker 5: Okay, fine, going back to premise one. Okay, you're able to say, I don't know, but we're but I'm trying to figure out a base like how a native car goes. I think therefore, I am. I'm trying to make a more foundational base for which you can from which you can build things off of. And if you are not able to provide a counter argument, well I can. Well there can be made a counter argument for pretty much every other base. I would argue that this base is better than the other ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gonna make You're gonna make that argument, make the argument. Give me your first premise for that argument.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, I but I okay, this.
Speaker 3: Will make an argument. You're no longer in science, You're in philosophy.
Speaker 1: When you're talking about metaphysics and things like that, you are also in philosophy. I don't think you've got the philosophical grounding, given how bad your first premise is that you gave us is to actually do this.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't. I don't that.
Speaker 3: I'm still not sure what the first premise was.
Speaker 5: Okay, the first premise is the information that existence exists. Is can be given a counter argument too, because you know, because in trying to say that's false assumes distinction between true and false and assumes there is a distinction.
Speaker 3: No way, don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with that, And Jim, that's not something we can agree with because that's.
Speaker 1: Because there's a there's a third position. The default position is I don't know. It's I am right, or we agree with the proposition that there's either existence or non existence. We agree with that, right, those those two things are true. Now I exist, so I'll beg the claim that because I exist, there is something that exists.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: What right? And so what something exists?
Speaker 5: So what? Okay, that's the first premise that something exist.
Speaker 3: Okay, you could have just said that it would have made a little bit. This is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Number one the things number one? Things exist? What's number two?
Speaker 5: Now if I say existence is true, that's different from saying exists.
Speaker 6: The information of existence exists.
Speaker 5: Those are two separate things. Because now you're gaining the abstract.
Speaker 3: Which one, which one is your which one is your friend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought too, and you even agreed to that. So what actually is your first premise? And can you please put it down the one simple sentence act like Jimini are five year olds.
Speaker 5: The information that existence exists exists.
Speaker 3: So information exists? Is that? Which is that it? And information exists?
Speaker 2: Or are you saying that because because information Because what it sounds like you said was because information exists, it exists, which is atality.
Speaker 5: I said existence, the information of existence exists. And in this information is a structured distinction between possible states.
Speaker 2: That you're just added stuff on that you didn't have on there, but you're just added a whole bunch of other stuff that wasn't there before.
Speaker 5: I have to use language, and I have to define my time.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it, Donald, I understand you need to use language, but we've Jim and I have asked you for your first premise like six times, and every time you have given us a different thing.
Speaker 5: So we don't know what that existence exists.
Speaker 3: Okay, information that exists exists. That's a toutology.
Speaker 6: No no, no, no, no no no no no no.
Speaker 5: The information of exist.
Speaker 1: Exists, okay, information of exist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, information that things exist exists, do not. You're at anything topology. You see how bad you're doing at this first premise.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're I think you need to get better at the communication part.
Speaker 1: I think you need to get better at your at your definition too, because if you define information in a way that that physicists define it a measurable property or a measurable physical property of a system, right, then then you're saying that a measurable physical property of a system exists. Okay.
Speaker 5: No, that that's another that's another layer of measurement. That's that that's not as fundamental as this.
Speaker 1: A measurable physical property is not fundamental because you.
Speaker 5: Can have information that isn't measurable. There is truth that is that can be beyond the ability to test and observe and falsify.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure there's a claim.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how to measure information to begin with. You can measure the veracity of information, but how do you measure information?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you just made an even bigger claim that makes absolutely no sense, because I mean information is the measurement this. I think you've got a problem with your definition, and I think you don't have enough philosophy background because I am not, by any means a philosopher, and we can't get past your your first premise and figure out what the heck you even mean by it, because it doesn't seem to mean anything. You're redefining information in a way that makes absolutely zero sense, and so I think that's where you need to start. But this is this is just I think as a fundamental probably not understanding philosophy, much less any type of metaphysics.
Speaker 5: I have many a lot of metaphysics and I have.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you're so bad at this, Yeah, right, I don't understand why you're so bad at it, right, And that's that's my point.
Speaker 3: You're bad at it. I think rather than read, you may need to go.
Speaker 1: And run some of this through a philosophy you know, get a physics professor, Get someone who's got at least a PhD a quantum physics and a pH stein philosophy, and how and run this by them and see if it makes sense to them.
Speaker 3: I think I think they will. I think they will buzz saw.
Speaker 1: You into in and non existence on this because this makes zero sense.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, it could just happen I'm bad at explaining, or you don't understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, so the problem is that in communication, the sender is responsible for making sure they're understoody okay, Well.
Speaker 2: Like I like, I'll often go to like a classroom of third or fourth graders, and I'll explain geological concepts to them so that they can understand it. Right, you know, I could understand. I could teach them about plate tectonics and and different types of erosion, right, and they're they're pretty pretty intense concepts, but I can explain it to a five year old. And I think that's when of the problems we're having is they're not You're not able to vocalize the concept that you're thinking of in a way that's understandable by others, at least by us and the people who are watching the show.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, let me try it a different way.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're familiar with the term I think, therefore I am right. But yes, okay, phrase okay, in that he's assuming, Uh, he's assuming things about what I what I is, and he's assuming and things about about his memory being accurate of remembering his thoughts and uh, and he's assuming thought and he's assuming thought. If you strip away memory, you strip away time, you strip away the concept of I, you get down to uh, you get down to uh, there's exists and there's not exist. Even when even when trying to think about it, strip away even the concept of thought and you memory in your memorizing thought. There is a distinction of exists versus non exist. There is the information.
Speaker 3: Of exist, the information of exist.
Speaker 2: I don't think that that that that's what we're that's what we're having a fundamental problem when you say the information of exist. That makes absolutely no fucking sense to us.
Speaker 5: Okay, there is a distinction between exists and non exists, that distinction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did that, but we're trying to Yes, we're trying to explain to you that when you say information and you put it in that slot, that's the part that's not making sense. What you said up until that point totally made sense.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, fine, I won't say information. I'll say the structure, the distinction between exists and non exists exists.
Speaker 3: That's a tautology, I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you're eximply saying is either true or not true.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, things, Yeah, things are aren't Okay, we all know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's like that's like.
Speaker 2: The first law of logic, right, the law of identity, basically just in different words. Okay, okay, okay, So that's your first premise, the law of identity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first promise the law of identity is true. Okay, Well, we kind of assume that, but you know, it's.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's there's a difference between this and the law of identity.
Speaker 1: Okay, there is because if I remember the law of I do a lot of identity is is a non contradiction?
Speaker 3: Is A or not a? So yeah, it's it's the law of non contradiction. We have the wrong law.
Speaker 1: The law of non contradiction is true. Yes, we assume, yes, that the laws of lot. When we're making philosophical arguments like you're attempting to do, we assume that laws of logic apply.
Speaker 3: So okay, so what Okay, I.
Speaker 5: Want to be clear. The law of identity isn't always true, like not all of these laws are always true, but the.
Speaker 3: Law when is the law of identity not true? Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, if someone says an apple is an apple, you they're they have a concept of an apple. But those two apples aren't identical.
Speaker 3: Two apples we're talking.
Speaker 1: You're talking about one apple, but you're also talking about the physical thing that is an apple that has physical properties and the person's concept of an apple.
Speaker 3: And you are correct, the person's concept of that apple is not the apple.
Speaker 1: Like I have been saying, you have been confusing the map for the territory. The map is the person's concept of an apple. Yes, you are correct. There is the difference between those two things.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: And when people use the law of identity to take a concept and it's a it's a it's an abstruction.
Speaker 1: You're talking about two different a's, right, A prime the apple itself A second. Yeah, that is the thought. Those are two different a's. They are not the same thing. You have an A. You have an A and the B and A is not equal B. They're not the same thing. We've already agreed that the apple, the physical apple, is a different thing than the conception, the concept of the apple that is in someone's head. Those are not both a's They can't because they're two different things.
Speaker 5: Okay, but okay, well this is game tangential to the argument.
Speaker 3: But no, it's not. It's fundamental to the argument. Yeah, it totally is.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what we're having a problem is that you don't understand that, babe.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not sure. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, Donald, I'm not sure you have this whole argument fully put together, step to step to step to step. And it might be just because you're communicating it badly, but it doesn't. It just doesn't seem like it. Okay, I'm not saying you have a bad argument. I'm just saying the way you're communicating isn't working out, man, because I because I honestly I really don't understand what it is you're trying to communicate.
Speaker 5: Well, I was going, I was going from things have potentials and then they're actualized, and I was trying to get to an argument to uh, giving to try to to try to establish the unactualized actualizer.
Speaker 3: Right, and we can't get past promise one. Yeah, so how yeah, we can't get that get there unless we get passed.
Speaker 5: You just agree to You just agreed to it as a You just.
Speaker 1: Agree You said that, wasn't it when we when we said that the concept of the apple is B and the apple itself is A, and those two things are not the same thing.
Speaker 5: You said, no, No, okay, I am agreeing to the law of non contradiction. But I was some people if you do the law of identity outside of mathematics, there's not there's not a perfect A and this.
Speaker 3: A because you doesn't need to be able to tru one. We're not saying there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was going there as a concept of an apple, those are A N B, not A and A.
Speaker 7: I'm trying.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to say the law of identity is is an approximate law. It's an abstract in mathematics to to where we limit, to where we eliminate.
Speaker 3: Hown't demonstrated that fact at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, because you continually confuse the map for the territory. The map is a thing, the territory is another thing, and they are not the same.
Speaker 3: Thing.
Speaker 1: Therefore, the law of identity still holds. You haven't demonstrated that the law of identity doesn't hold because you're confusing two things that are distinct.
Speaker 3: The map and the territory are distinct. Okay, do you.
Speaker 2: Understand what Jim means by the map and that map is not the territory.
Speaker 5: Yes, your your perception and thoughts and conception of reality isn't the same thing as reality. The right's phenomena and there's numena.
Speaker 3: I understand different and they're not the same thing.
Speaker 1: So you by by saying that you haven't proven that the law of identity is not always true.
Speaker 3: Okay, because.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay. The simple syllogism uh starts with the proposition that A is equal to A. This postulate is accepted as an axiom and but but in reality, outside of mathematics, outside of our conception in the in a.
Speaker 2: Is well, Kenny, wait a minute before we go any further, Donald, why do we need mathematics to see that A equals A? Why do we need mathematics to see the two things are the same.
Speaker 5: So we can do things like algebra?
Speaker 2: And why do we why do we need to do algebra between two things that are the same. I don't understand why you're putting mathematics into this. A equals a what it's It's like you're complicating it by adding something into it.
Speaker 3: Just dude, the thing is the thing.
Speaker 5: Well, actually that mathematics needs to work.
Speaker 2: That's fine, that's fine, that's fine. Mathematics needs that, right, But it doesn't need the mathematics. That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Is it ever possible for this pen ever be not this or for this pen do not be itself? Not the concept of the pen, the pen, the physical pen itself. Is it possible for that to happen?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: If it depends on how you're defining the pen, because a part of the pen could be replaced, And then is that the same pen?
Speaker 1: We're not getting into the ship of theseus?
Speaker 3: We're not doing the ship of theseus? Is it okay? And kill doing that?
Speaker 1: That's a whole different thing. This pen as it exists right now, with this amount of ink in it, Can it ever not be this thing?
Speaker 5: It changes when it loses ink, yes.
Speaker 3: But it's still this thing.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: But we could say that, we could say that that it has a state of the is full of ink and when say it has a state of not full of ink.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but fundamentally that connect, that connection you're making, that link is that's.
Speaker 1: A property of the pen. That can change. Is the property of the pen.
Speaker 5: The pen you're making an abstraction of a pen. The idea of the pen itself isn't the most fundamental thing. It is an abstraction, an abstraction the thing and.
Speaker 3: Is not themental thing we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Ah, I'm I'm saying it's how it depends on how you're defining the pen, because there are.
Speaker 1: Depend right here is what I see, what I feel, this whole thing, all the properties of this pen or the pen we're talking about.
Speaker 3: That's how I'm defining this.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, then yes, the pen can change because the pen can change states, or your senses of the pen can change.
Speaker 3: Right. Is it still the same pen?
Speaker 5: I okay, there's still the.
Speaker 1: If this pen is if I write until there's no more incoing this pen?
Speaker 3: Is that a different pen? Or is it the same pen.
Speaker 5: In some sense of the word. Yes, it is a different it's different. It's not the same. It has changed.
Speaker 3: State right if? Right?
Speaker 1: And that's the problem that is a problem. Right, but it is still the same pen, right.
Speaker 5: There is a there is It came from the previous pen, and there is a and you have a unifying concept between the previous pen and this pen. So some things did stay the same and some things changed.
Speaker 1: Okay, do those properties mean as the thing they're describing is different, is a different thing?
Speaker 5: Yes, there, it is a different thing on some level. There's parts that changed.
Speaker 1: So it's a every time a property on this pen changes. Every time I write with this pen, it becomes a different pen than the one I'm holding.
Speaker 3: How does that happen?
Speaker 5: It's changing its state and it's in it branches and becomes the other pen through the action. But some of its potential potential becomes became actual and it changes and some of the ink went from the pin onto the paper.
Speaker 1: And you, yes, I'm agreeing with that. I don't like that was my description, right, you haven't answered the question. You would just read stated my description.
Speaker 5: Well, you're asking how it happens? Do you want me to.
Speaker 1: Describe how does this become a different pen when I write with it?
Speaker 5: Okay? The point on the pen interacts with the paper and releases some of the ink and some.
Speaker 1: There are all properties of writing, and there are all properties of the pen. Yes, you asked me how did it describe? How how does it write? And you basically described the process of writing. What you haven't described is how this becomes a different pen.
Speaker 5: It lost some of its atoms and it has a slightly different property some of it. It became different, it changed.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that doesn't mean it's a new pen.
Speaker 5: You Your abstract concept of the pen and it being the same thing is is an approximation. It's it's it's perception.
Speaker 3: It's I'm not talking.
Speaker 1: I'm not talking about my perception of the pen. Talking about the pen it's off and what it's actually doing, not my concept of it.
Speaker 2: It's the concept, No, not itself is the pen?
Speaker 3: You are.
Speaker 2: The concept comes from a brain. The concept doesn't come from the pen. The concept comes from a brain. You ever see that painting that's a pipe and it says this is not a pipe in French?
Speaker 1: You should go look at it for a while. Yeah, it's a fun one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're trying to make something of illusions.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: This is the fundamental problem that I think you're having is I don't think you under you're you're trying to make the first law of logic not be true. And I think the other fundamental problem is is what is the identity right the ship of theseus? And is this problem is why? I really, I mean, it's still the ship of theseus. And I can give you a better example, just because I'm a software engineer. When we want to define what a record is, we use a field that has absolutely nothing to do with the record, and if that field is different, it is a different object and have the exact same properties. But if that id field is different, few different objects. But if you're the same, the alls they've done is change state, and we need to track that state.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't mean it's a different thing. And this is the problem.
Speaker 1: Right, the pen can lose ink, it's still the pen is It's a property that doesn't make it unique or different.
Speaker 5: Okay, you can define the atoms taking that form in it having the utility of writing to still be a pen. But again I'm saying that that is an abstraction. It's a useful abstraction, which is close to the truth, but it's not fundamentally.
Speaker 1: Fully, you're saying that this pen has stopped being a pen, and I have a new different pen when I drive ink. And this is an actual, real thing that we're talking about. We're not talking about the concept of it. We're talking about the real thing. And my question is is how does this become a different pen in my hand than the one that I have in my hand.
Speaker 3: If just the ink goes out.
Speaker 5: It still is a pen. It's still can uh, it still has ink and you can still right with it, and it still the pen.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you're saying it's not still the pen when ink comes out of it.
Speaker 5: It has changed. It has lost some atoms, so I so it's not exactly the same. It is largely the same.
Speaker 6: It's mostly the same.
Speaker 5: But but it's not. I'm not they're not equal. They aren't. They're approximately equal, but they're not equal.
Speaker 1: We're still talking about the pen, right, Yes, we're still talking about.
Speaker 3: The physical object at some of its atoms.
Speaker 5: So it's not exactly the same physical object.
Speaker 1: It's how is it not the same physical object.
Speaker 5: Because it lost some of its matter, it changed, It's not all of the atoms are in the same place that it was.
Speaker 1: Okay, doesn't mean it's a different pen.
Speaker 5: The pen from before became that pen.
Speaker 1: I agree, doesn't mean it's a different pen, and that's what you've got. That's what you're trying to prove right now. And you can't really do that with this, right because there are some properties of things that can change. And it doesn't mean that the thing has stopped being the thing.
Speaker 5: No, you still have the conception of it as being the pen. But that conception that abstraction is fundamental.
Speaker 1: You haven't proven that the pen becomes a different pen just because some of its properties change, especially properties that are designed to change. Right anyway, this is just we're going over the same ground. Please, God, you some more study of flow so we try and get your first promise at least makes sense.
Speaker 3: It would be nice. This has been a little bit of fun, all right.
Speaker 2: I think there was just a fundamental problem with communication there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to do the Ship of Thesius. We ended up doing it anyway, Although I think the ship of Theseus is slightly different because that's replacing every part.
Speaker 3: Is it still the same ship? And the answer is this, we actually have a real ship like that right now? M uss constitution, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, some properties are are are supposed to change. Does it mean it' stop being a thing. I think the more fun one than theis is the statue. Bronze statue, David, when you melt the statue down, I go from that.
Speaker 3: I think that that that is still a equals a.
Speaker 1: The problem is that we are describing the same blob of bronze in.
Speaker 8: Just two different states, two different that's the And if you had more bronze, you still have it. Blaba bronze, take less, you still have. Size can change. It's veryable anyway, life gus On.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did we do all of our announcements? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Oh, we do have announcements. I have not done any of those.
Speaker 3: I honestly didn't remember. I'm not trying to remind you. I completely forgot. I'm on my shirt show today, so I'm kind of lost. I would like to do that. I've done three shows a day before. That's always fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turns your brain damash, but you can do it all right.
Speaker 3: So some announcements.
Speaker 1: We're excited to announce the launch of our twenty twenty six back crews August fifteenth at seven pm next weekend. Tickets are on sale now and yeah, they are going fast. Get yours before they're all sold out. Going to be exciting events all weekend, so you don't just need to show up for the bat Cruise. You can show up on Friday where there's going to be a special guest lecture. Uh there's a community outing and activity during the day on Saturday, followed by our annual members town Hall and then your favorite ACA shows film live from the three Free Thought Library is about to say three Thought.
Speaker 3: It's like we've got more than three.
Speaker 1: Library on Sunday. Confirmed featured guests include genetically Modified Skeptic, the Antibot Thinker, Godless Engineer, Objectively Dan, Secular Rarity, Jamie the Blind, Limey, Christy Powell and uh Yeah, Loglin, her Veria and Kelly Laughlin. And you can get tickets at ACA dot Shows Slash Back Cruise and folks. It is a fun time. You can hang out with other atheist, lect your hair down, and just be an a theist. And if you haven't ever had the opportunity to do that, I strongly encourage you to do that as soon as you can.
Speaker 3: Either this year's back Cruise or next year's back Cruise.
Speaker 1: Would be really really good to do that. And you also get to hang out at the Free Thought Library and do some other fun stuff.
Speaker 3: And Austin is a blast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as so come in on Thursday and go check Austin out because Austin has a lot of fun. There's a lot of really cool stuff. It is a beautiful, beautiful city. Just don't go north or south in the freeway during rush hour because you will not go north or south East West is okay nor south.
Speaker 3: That's so much.
Speaker 1: And folks, there are some folks that are literally behind the scenes doing stuff for us that honestly, this show would go much much worse without because it would require me to be more of a professional than I already am. And I'm not saying I'm a professional. And that is the one the only the crew are video operators, audio app writers, note takers, call screeners, chat moderators.
Speaker 3: All those people waving at you.
Speaker 1: And their cats and their dogs or small farm animals and children in cages. I mean, I'm sorry, No, they're not in cagous They're all free ranged children.
Speaker 3: That's why they're tasty.
Speaker 1: By the way, you too can be if you want a crew member.
Speaker 3: You can be a guest on one of our shows.
Speaker 1: Or baby even somehow if you want to I don't know why you would become a host like me, like Kelly. And we're always looking for people interested in being a part of our production. So email volunteer at atheistdashcommunity dot org to get involved if you wish. And that would be really really wonderful, do it. And yes, and so we've got a private chat over here for just you know, the crew to talk to us when stuff is going on. And yes, you're always welcome to stuff on Gem's test. Please do you only walk in the bottoms? You can stop on the tops. Uh. So we do have somebody on TikTok uh cool, cool that we would encourage to step up.
Speaker 2: I know our I know, I know our A c A live room told us to go ahead and take.
Speaker 3: A Yeah, we'll go ahead, and uh, next up we get a few minutes, LA get Bob in New York. We can handle it.
Speaker 1: You want to discuss reasoning behind belief in Christ versus not believing in Christ?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Sure, I've been waiting for about two hours now. The other guy got about two hours, so I would like to at least my fair time of day here.
Speaker 3: But anyway you're starting out to call the wrong way, I'll tell you right.
Speaker 6: Now, I would like to uh. I'd like to begin my uh. I'd like to begin my part with the with a little bit of scripture. Okay, So I don't care. All all things were created.
Speaker 5: Through him, and apart from him.
Speaker 6: Not one thing what was created that has been created.
Speaker 3: So I don't care. So what's gonna say anything solo.
Speaker 6: That's a philosophical point of view, but my I would like to approach it from more of a scientifical point of view.
Speaker 3: Scientifical, scientifical. Yeah, we're starting off really good here. Let's say scientifical was.
Speaker 6: No, you gave the guy about ten minutes without interrupting.
Speaker 3: No, I've just go ahead.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you haven't said anything interesting yet, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, right? I was.
Speaker 6: I was prefacing my statement and then I got rudely interrupted. So I would like at least a little bit of time to make my point of view clear. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what, if you're going to keep complaining, you're going to get just leave him alone and let him get on with it. I just I don't have this back and forth you gave.
Speaker 6: You gave the guy about two hours to watch.
Speaker 3: You have ten seconds to get on with it. He had waiting.
Speaker 6: Okay, contingency contingency, I did it.
Speaker 1: You're going to make an argument from contingency, Yes, sir, really.
Speaker 3: Definite cause if if nothing.
Speaker 6: Can be created, then where did it come from?
Speaker 3: Indefinite?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because how did God take out take nothing and make everything?
Speaker 3: How did that happen? That's the question.
Speaker 6: He's because that's a that's an amazing question.
Speaker 5: And that's the root of the matter.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, so ergy, we know that energy can't.
Speaker 6: Be doing a questions. You asked the question online.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, tell us, tell us and stop fucking complaining. It's no, I'm not.
Speaker 5: But the guy before me, he got I was waiting on the line, stopping again, complaining, or we will hang out.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: We didn't want to take your call anyway. You're the only caller on the line, so we.
Speaker 6: Kind of had to Everything came from something like today, from yesterday, an.
Speaker 3: Energy be created or destroyed, the contingencies and.
Speaker 1: Energy be created or destroyed. No, okay, everything is contingent on on energy. I don't need your God, where where did it come?
Speaker 6: And my question I'm talking physics.
Speaker 3: I'm not even getting into it.
Speaker 1: I'm talking physics. We're talking to law. Thermodynamics. Energy cannot be treated or destroyed. And then you ask where did energy come from? It can't be treated or destroyed. Where If you're going to claim your God didn't come from someplace, I can claim energy does. I've got better grounding, hey to say energy doesn't come from anything because the laws of physics.
Speaker 6: That's cool.
Speaker 3: Then you do for your god.
Speaker 6: Let's cool it for a second. I want I want to I want to slow down and unpack everything. I'm not trying to get into an argument. I want to get into a conversation. So, okay, we got that out of the way. Anyway, according to I don't know who came up with Albert Einstein, something equals mc squared or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's Albert Einstein. Mass comes from energy. Okay, yes, And this goes back to fund my first question. If energy cannot be created or destroyed, everything is contingent on energy. Egles MC squared proves that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a basic scientific.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's that's perfectly fine and great. But I'm asking where did it start in the origin, Where did it originate?
Speaker 1: Energy?
Speaker 3: It was never created, It can't be created.
Speaker 1: It didn't originate from anywhere because there is no there is no origin for energy.
Speaker 3: Energy. Is that's the whole point behind the first law throne and dynamics?
Speaker 6: Or are you saying it's eternal like it's always existed.
Speaker 3: As far as we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now this universe hasn't. There's a difference between this instantiation of the universe and energy. Right, And it also depends on which version of time, whether you think it's space time or space and time, which is a whole physics thing on own we're not going to try and get into.
Speaker 6: But yes, a matter of just a matter of actual clock time, like clock time, like if I had yesterday, and then if I went back in time yesterday, yesterday, yesterday, yesterday, all the way to the beginning.
Speaker 1: I guess they say you go to the beginning of the universe. And then we get into the question of whether time is eternal or not. Right, we don't know, Well, no, we don't know if it's space time the concept of space and time, that time depends on space or our space and time independent things in physics.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, please, I listened about two hours of that guy wastling on.
Speaker 1: All right, this is your last warning, complain about the last guy again, and I'm just going to drop you. And not only I'm going to drop you, I'm going to recommend to our crew that you never come back. Stop complaining about the previous guy. Now answer the question equal energy. Everything is dependent on ergy. Energy cannot be created. Whether time is eternal or not is up for debate in the physics world.
Speaker 6: Sure, okay, that's fair enough.
Speaker 5: Can I please, do I have like?
Speaker 6: Do I have a response to that?
Speaker 5: Is this a lecture?
Speaker 6: Can I respond?
Speaker 5: Please? I waited about two.
Speaker 6: Hours to get on the air, so I'd like to at least a little bit of time.
Speaker 3: There you go. Now you're gonna wait forever, dude, Bob, You're gone. Wow. I hate to do that to our only caller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how many times you got to tell him though, to stop complaining? I mean yeah, I mean half of that call was him complaining.
Speaker 3: Let's face it.
Speaker 2: And honestly, when he called earlier, he was half his call then was doing the same thing complaining. He was complaining that we were over talking him while he was over talking.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, the contingency argument is perfectly fine. I hate everything is contingent on energy, and we can in the physics show that right is time?
Speaker 3: Is it spacetime or time?
Speaker 2: Go know, there's a new quantum concept that was first thought of in twenty I talked about it to him earlier. Just recruited everything you said, just on truth wanted earlier. There's a new scientific concept that was thought about in twenty sixteen. It was actually proven just last year, twenty twenty five. It's called indefinite causal order, and we've what we found out is that the cause and effect are super positional. The effect can actually happened before the cause. So that takes your whole contingency argument, throws it out the window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's not new, that's been around. I remember reading about that in the nineties. I think I think it was an experiment. I want to say it was in Ohio where they shot a photon of light down a tube and then they would randomly close close one side of the tube after the photon had passed the a point, and one percent of the time it was in the one that was open.
Speaker 3: If I remember that correctly, and.
Speaker 1: I may not, I'm sure somebody in chat probably has a reference to the actual paper.
Speaker 3: That would be cool. I'd like to add that to my notes on stuff. I got to keep up with science. Guys, you get your theiss with all your argument.
Speaker 2: You got to keep up with science because science keeps making making those gaps that your god lives in smaller and smaller and smaller.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, cause and effect are sometimes effective.
Speaker 1: Then cause once again goes back to is it space time or space and time?
Speaker 3: And if you don't have time, can you have changes? That's kind of the question.
Speaker 2: Also, right then, and they were Let's say we say that Bob was right there that there has to be some cause cause that started at that doesn't prove that that is his personal god, right.
Speaker 1: No, nastually have the problem with a lot of these is they get to Okay, you want to say the contingency argument, everything is contingent on something that something has got Well, okay, you make the argument everything is contingent on something, all right, matter is contingent on energy.
Speaker 3: I don't need to go beyond energy at all.
Speaker 1: Ever, I don't need a god, right, we don't need a god to know that one plus one equals two. We don't need a god to know that A equals a, A is not equal B. You know those things we just don't need. But yeah, and any other way I like to go with contingenty ar argument is that everything is contingent on me, proved me wrong, and then watch them flunders they can't. And the fun part about that is, remember all those things that people used to say, is you know, why didn't God answer my prayer? He did? Sometimes it's no, he works in mysterious ways, all those really fun answers.
Speaker 3: I just feed it back to him. It laughs. Historically it's it's great fun. Yeah. Man, the universe works in mysterious ways.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, black holes, Yeah, they work in mysterious ways, you know. All right, and we have a color in the screating room. Hopefully they make it past. Fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don want to drop and hopefully they make it past so it looks like it's an interesting uh.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, it was Bob trying to call in as somebody else.
Speaker 1: I'm really really tempted to click that band collar on Bob, but that is not my choice. Yes, yes he is. The more we know, the less we need him. I always like to point out when it comes. I mean, if you're going to start trying to prove God first, pro the supernatural is a thing, and over the last two thousand years we've kind of proven it isn't.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Two thousand years ago, we had supernatural explanations for all kinds of phenomenon. Why my ship sink beside and got angry at you and created a storm and sank your shit?
Speaker 3: Why did my cows get sick? Witch cursed you?
Speaker 1: All of these supernatural things had or all these phenomena had supernatural explanations.
Speaker 3: And now you know, we know what causes.
Speaker 1: Storms, we know how storms work, we can forecast them with a fair degree of accuracy.
Speaker 3: We have the germ theory of disease. We know why cows and humans and everybody else.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as witches too, but well not you know, like ones that are casting mid level and spells on you.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Right, Okay, Allison is up next. Cool, let's talk.
Speaker 1: About how God would be unknowable pronouns or she her? And it looks like you are from moving opera. Oh Missouri, I'm I'm sorry sorry?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, is that Missouri?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I thought it was a Meli opera back of the US.
Speaker 6: I was just calling because it seemed like there was a lack.
Speaker 7: Of college currently and I wanted to give you someone to talk to him, something to do.
Speaker 3: I would call up, Sorry, we just said awesome. I thought I would.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought I would call it the claim that if there is a God.
Speaker 7: No human could ever know anything about their true intentions and motivations, because anything we would ever know about them would either be propaganda from themselves, propaganda from their allies, or propaganda from their enemies.
Speaker 3: Okay, or made up. So how did you prove that God exists?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: So I for me, that's hard to answer.
Speaker 7: I don't know what it would take.
Speaker 3: To convince me.
Speaker 9: Either.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I feel I could all know.
Speaker 7: God wouldn't know what it would take to convince man, right, right.
Speaker 2: I had had some parameters on one of the earlier shows about what type of what type of evidence I would need, you know, But what the actual evidence is I don't know.
Speaker 3: But it would have to meet certain guidelines for me to accept it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a ton of evidence, and the time to believe something is true is when you have sufficient evidence to warm that belief. I just don't know that, Uh, I should you know? Until until you've got some sort of evidence. It's not you know, black swan fallacy, that kind of thing. Uh, there's a reason to believe there are black swans until you find one.
Speaker 3: And we found one. Oh, look there are black swans, you know.
Speaker 7: Uh, But that's sort of my pot this too, is the idea that it's already a big enough.
Speaker 6: Thing to say there is a guy God. But I think it's a more radicter paying to pay.
Speaker 7: You understand the nature of that God when all you would ever have is we science that I could never study a god. It's not possible, So to pay you know the nature of something, it would be simply based on propaganda, either by them, their allies or their enemies.
Speaker 6: And so I don't think propaganda is never a.
Speaker 7: Good way to know nature.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not a good way to know anything. It's from propaganda, right, Everything is putting a spin on us. And the best way to know something physical is to measure it, right, absolutely, Yeah, So God would have to be something we can measure.
Speaker 7: Hemans.
Speaker 3: God would have to be something we can measure physically. That's kind of what I was saying. I want empirical evidence, right on ambiguous empirical evidence.
Speaker 1: When you say the word existence you are implying properties that can be measured.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you cannot.
Speaker 1: Even like one plus one equals two being true, exit that formula exists. It has properties we can measure, right, it has an operator to operands and an answer. Those are all those are all properties of the equations.
Speaker 5: So absolutely, and I get what you're.
Speaker 6: Saying, Yeah, is that true God to exist, they would have to exist.
Speaker 7: Within the rules of our universe because they exist within our universe?
Speaker 6: Is that kind of what you're saying.
Speaker 7: They would have to It would interact with that universe the way everything else does.
Speaker 1: Well, it would have to inter I mean, well, first you have to figure out that if outside of the universe even has any kind of meaning. And as far as I'm aware, physics is kind of up and air on that one. There isn't There's a whole lot of hypotheses, but there isn't a whole lot of of theory on that. So that's a problem. I mean, that's kind of the first thing you could have to do. The second thing you'd have to do is demonstrate how something outside of the universe can affect something inside the universe. You still have to prove how they or how they created the universe.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: This is a problem with the teleological argument is there's only two ways to prove that. To prove it to the logical argument, one is to show the creator and two to compare the thing to something that is known to be created or natural. And we only have what We only have this universe, and we don't even know if the concept of another universe makes sense. There's the multi universe theory and hypothesis and all that, but right, we're still working on it. So our physicists are still working on It's a mathematical concept that math can be wrong if we don't have you know, math models, what we know, what we know may not be correct or And that's why they built the large the l h a large Hadron Collie is to prove that the math proving the Higgs Boston existed, that the math was correct. They were hoping, I think that the math was wrong and that there would be no Higgs Boston or it would not be what they thought it was or what the math showed it to be.
Speaker 3: But they proved the math, right. This is why you've got to prove your math right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just think it's science, but I would just saying from my understanding that was I like.
Speaker 6: How you would, because that was a big part of it.
Speaker 7: Was they did all Chadron glider to prove something wrong and ended up proving it right. And it's not like the way you worded that to they were hoping to prove it.
Speaker 9: Wrong, because from honestly, that's what science is. You never want to prove anything correct, use some detail to prove it wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, if they proved it wrong, I think the thought was that they would have more interesting physics to work on.
Speaker 3: And they would have things to go explore.
Speaker 1: But they proved it right, so there's a whole avenue of stuff that doesn't need to be explored now because well the math was right, so our models, so that our are right.
Speaker 3: You know, now we got to go find something else to work on, damn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, or yeah, because I think they were hoping for some answer because on string theory and some other stuff, if they had proven Higgs boson wrong or some other stuff, that would have become more probable.
Speaker 3: But yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 9: Don't actually know much about anything.
Speaker 7: I I'm a high school dropout. I got heavily bodied in school.
Speaker 5: I dropped out.
Speaker 7: I really wanted to graduates. I went back out heavily bodied again, dropped out again. But I love information, so I frequently just going through the scholar and read about topics that interested me. I thought, I know some stuff about some stuff, but I have massive gaps in my knowledge everywhere. But I enjoy the concepts of like physics and stuff I really like enjoy the Do either of you have any background in physics?
Speaker 3: I am, like you a dilettante, little tiny bit. I'm a geologist, so I have a little bit.
Speaker 7: Okay, I know that I think you right what a lawyer cut him?
Speaker 3: I'm a engineer.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm antually mean to him with someone else, I think someone what a.
Speaker 7: Host is or was a lawyer at one point.
Speaker 1: Yes, Johnny is uh Johnny plays a lawyer on the on YouTube.
Speaker 3: I will say that.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, be.
Speaker 7: Sucked out a lot because I tell you a lawyer on role.
Speaker 6: Play on five M roll play it just role playing a lawyer.
Speaker 5: How much work it actually is?
Speaker 3: Cross examiner too is a lawyer? Yeah yeah, basically just taking apart someone's argument.
Speaker 7: Yeah no, But I honestly called because it was downtime and I thought, let's not have downtime, like, given.
Speaker 3: Something to talk about it, I would appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like you agreed to my first topic and we just kind of.
Speaker 7: Agreed, and that I didn't know where to go from there.
Speaker 3: I kind of you might agree, Yeah, we got somewhere. Feel free being nowhere.
Speaker 7: I'm still talking about any topics you want to you till then.
Speaker 3: I think Bob is in chat being Bob Really okay, Justin doesn't give up.
Speaker 1: Huh Well, his handle on chat's kind of cool. Ronnie Dio is awesome or something along those lines. Ronnie Dio kicks ass. I'm kind of ADEO fan. I like Dio's music. But if you're going to wind complain bit Simon, we're going to get rid of you. You're just encouraging us to make it permanent. I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 7: I felt like in the that call, from the second they answer the phone, they sounded like the person at the like steak house who's pointing across the restaurant, like, why does the mindstick.
Speaker 3: Look like theirs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was on for six minutes and spent four of it complaining. The other guy was on for over an hour. And at least we were having an interesting conversation until it got repetitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and he wasn't complaining.
Speaker 6: So I can I ask you a question, askally, how do you What are your thoughts on ton.
Speaker 3: Depends on what the tone is.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are there are there are tones that, uh, you know, if you have if you're angry and upset like he was, then yeah, that doesn't work so well when you're trying to communicate information. But you know, as a general rule, uh, I don't think it's a good thing, but there I think there are times where someone's tone makes it necessary to kind of go, hey, dude, turn it down a little bit, thank you.
Speaker 7: I was having a conversation about tone please this morning because of the time. I didn't get this in a conversation and I was confused and I would say about it to me. But I thought was that if someone is yelling like a lunatic at me, or if they used been in this hateful ton of voice, I would not engage with them because of their town. I feel like it's my peace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that that that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Now. Some people use tone policing to mean that you're dismissing the argument or idea by attacking how it's expressed, and that I would disagree with.
Speaker 3: Right, you attack the argument, not the person.
Speaker 1: But just because you don't like someone's tone doesn't mean you have to engage with the argument or them at all. That is not rejecting the argument, that's not dismissing it. That's not doing anything other than dismissing the person. And I think that's kind of the difference. What are you dismissing the person or the argument?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if somebody's just going to get angry and over talk you and not have a conversation, there's no sense in trying to have a conversation. I always try to reel it back in first, but a lot of times with some you just can't do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree with both of you a lot.
Speaker 7: And that's what sort of the conversations when he turned down to was that ton case is more of a logical fallacy than a casual thing. It's just missing an argument for a salacious reason rather than having it here an issue with the tony being spoken to around. Mm hmm, right, okay, Yeah, I was just a common how this one I was reaching for a topic. Do you don't have any other college yet?
Speaker 2: I know we're actually we're we actually hit the end of the showtime. You know, if we had college, we could stay over time if we had callers, but we don't really don't have one. We have somebody in the uh in the text chat, but I'm not I'm not sure that it's not Bob again.
Speaker 3: So well, hey, thanks for calling and talking to us Alison. It was awesome. It was a great call.
Speaker 5: We will chat all.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 1: Okay, folks, we want to thank our back up for helping out tonight, Jamie blind blimey, there we go.
Speaker 3: You look better? No, that was here, all fair? Yeah, way better.
Speaker 4: I was just jacked into cyber space communing with the techno gods to see if I could discern some truth.
Speaker 3: I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just all fur. He's nothing wrong with that man anyway. Yeah, I really feel bad for Donald. It was me that invited him to call back in, and I could just sense the frustration in his voice as he was trying to get across what was obviously in his head but didn't be able to come out of his throat. And I think it's one of those things where again I'm sure the orders would go, don't do it, don't encourage him to call again. But I wouldn't mind having another conversation with him. But he might be one of those things where it's actually a conversation better had offline in a more casual kind of space.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is going to be that he can't articulate what he's thinking because he doesn't know what he's thinking. He can't you knew something when you can articulate it clearly, and he was not able to do that, and that is a problem for him. But until he can do that that, I don't know that another conversation. I mean, I've always wanted to talk to him, yeah, but I don't know that would be any more fruitful until he's got an idea.
Speaker 4: If he's still listening and he's on and he wants to try it again, I mean, I'd be fine. But if there is a way that we could maybe, I mean, he can always send an email to TV at atheist type and community organ and request some kind of offline chats with me at least, then I'd be happy to try and accommodate that we are a community after all, and I'm happy to engage. And if he ever came, if he ever drove like ten hours from Louisiana to Austin to come to the back cruise, then I'd be happy to do it in person over some sort of chilled beverage. That would be great. As for Bob, yeah, don't just complain, don't just bitch and moan. You would get like he had. He had all the time in the world to actually give his points and refused because he was just And I think that's the large of the Christian persecution complex. I have to feel like they're a victim.
Speaker 2: Well, he was claiming to be an atheist, for one, and I don't know that, you know, I don't. I think mostly as Jim said, I just don't think he fully understood. And he seemed real frustrated. And I wasn't sure if he was frustrated with us because we didn't understand them, or if he was frustrated with himself because he wasn't communicating so we couldn't understand him.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Anyway, handled as well as it could possibly have been fantastic. Thanks for being It's been a long ass day. I feel like I am. I am now one with this chair.
Speaker 3: Thanks to be the backup post here here appreciate it. And thanks once more to our wonderful crew.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Kelly for co hosting with me and helping me to keep saying even though I'm sure his brain is mush after doing free shows. Like I said, I've done that before, it's not fun. It is, but it isn't It is, but it isn't right. It's fun up until the end, and then you crash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely, definitely the crash is absolutely fun.
Speaker 1: And to everybody who joined us in chat, thank you guys so much, even those of you in chat who wanted to make arguments but not actually call in and say, Hi, we are a call in show.
Speaker 3: We exist for you to call in, not for you to argue.
Speaker 1: In most of ports, you're arguing about something really important, like his hot dog sandwich.
Speaker 3: You put the milk in first, of the cereal, end first. Those are important questions too. In cereal then bowl. That's the way thing. There are apparently people who do it the other way, pour it all over the counter and scrape it into the bowl.
Speaker 1: That works too, all right, Thank you guys so much, and we will see you same BAT time, same BAT channel, Sundays at four thirty pm Central. Well, someone will be back, may not be me, but it'll be one of us, and we'll be here to take your calls and talk to you.
Speaker 3: Live in chat, not in chat, but live on the phone or from TikTok. I know, as we'll be watching it on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much, last time, request up, Thanks you next time right away.
Speaker 6: To start
Speaker 3: Stop there ready, Watch Talkie Than Live Sundays at one pm Central and call into the show at five one two nine nine one nine two four two, or connect to the show online at a C A dot show slash call