Speaker 1: Right quiet, Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 2: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 1: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app Go with Broway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seven now while the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app.
Speaker 3: We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks one one.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers are one win away from going back to the World Series. Hi everybody, and welcome to Scam on this Friday and morning, October eighteenth. Thanks for being with us, Steve Sacks, Tim Katson, you on this Friday morning, reacting to the Dodgers Game four win in the NLCS last night in New York and getting ready for a potentially clenching Game five of the NLCS later on this afternoon. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is our number. We got a jam pack show between now and nine o'clock, including a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodgers' clubout store at Universal City Walk. One lucky Dodger fan is gonna get that potentially to get your twenty twenty four World Series gear. Yeah, that's coming up between now and nine o'clock. Stephen Nelson, voice of the Dodgers here on n five seventy, will join us as well David Vasse in the eight o'clock hour this morning. He is a two time World Series Champ, Rookie of the Year, and one hell of a guy in man does he know what he's talking about? He is a great Steve Sacks Saxy, Good morning, Tim.
Speaker 5: Good to be with you, my brother. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. I slept like a baby last night. The ulcer or stomach issues, acid reflex. It is all in my rear view mirror right now as I feel good about the Dodgers of three games to one in a potential close out game today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, classic beatdown last night. You know the bad thing about it for the Mets is there actually you know, if you can put this in perspective, they're catching the Dodgers at the wrong time. You know, this is a you know, every team, he's going to go through little you know, times where you're not at your optimal best. But boy, this team is really clicking on everything. If it's not the bottom of the order, it's what it was last night, the top of the order, very lopsided, crooked numbers at the top of that order. One thing you see at the top of the order in the box in the box score today this morning, when I was looking and kind of summarizing, you see Otani with three at bats but four run scored.
Speaker 5: You very seldom see.
Speaker 2: You know, more run score than the actually at bats that are printed on there, of course because of his walks, but it's it's just a lopsided SmackDown. When you follow that up with Mookie Betts and what he did, he was able to print for you know, four hits, four RBI scored, three runs. This was a classic Dodgers what they did all through twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the top of the lineup when they go, so go the Dodgers. And as you mentioned, Mookie Betts four for six with a home run, four ribbies, showe Aotani got the party started the first batter of the game and leadoff home run. He walked three times, scored four times. Maximunsky got on base for his first four times up to the plate. Ty Reggie Jackson's record for twelve consecutive plate appearances twelve straight times. It's unbelievable. And if you look at what they were, it's not like it's a bunch of hits in a row. It is home run walk walk walk single walk walk, home run walk walk walk, single walk walk walk.
Speaker 5: You got you got that guy doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he can hit it out, he can go deep, he can play different positions. Then you got the best two players, maybe the best two players on the planet, with Betts and Otani just scaring the hell out of everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Then you got the bottom of the order, guys like Tommy Edmond that's hit and run, bunt, good defense. Oh and then you got like one of the best postseason players and Key k Hernandez doing his thing. Oh and then I mean it just goes on and on.
Speaker 4: It doesn't stop. They're like a bull restrictor. They just suffocate you with this lineup. When they're all clicking certainly when they're all passing that baton and when they're all getting a hit and passing it to Will Smith, who's passing it to Chris Taylor, who even found a base hit last night and ran into one. Then show hey Otani in the top of the lineup, flips over and the Dodgers just pounce on you. Ten runs last night on twelve hits. The Mets had ten hits in the game last night, but they couldn't string together hits, and they left a lot of runners on base.
Speaker 5: Last night.
Speaker 4: They were zero for ten with runners in scoring position. Meanwhile, the Dodgers were six of fifteen with runners of scoring position. And this is the number that really stands out to me, how scary this offenses. They scored ten runs last night, Saxy, and they stranded twelve base runners, twelve guys left on base, yet they already have scored ten.
Speaker 5: Crazy.
Speaker 2: And another good thing, too, is if you want to talk about how you're able to mitigate what the Mets can do, the Mets went down swinging twelve times. And you know what that is a a just a great thing. When you cannot even put the ball in play, you don't put any pressure on the defense. There's no advantages at all, as we know when striking out and it's a crusher, the crusher, and that's what.
Speaker 5: It was last night. Twelve strikeouts.
Speaker 2: I know the Dodgers struck out there if I share amount too, but you know what, you really limited the Mets that are in dire straits to score runs and you k twelve times. That's a big, big problem for them.
Speaker 4: It's amazing to see the amount of walks the Dodgers took us well last night. Nine more walks for the Dodgers. They have walked over thirty times. Listen, in the first four games.
Speaker 2: You walk nine times in a game, you're gonna the other team's got no shot. Seriously, I mean, I can remember having conversations when I was playing. It would say, you know, we got to really limit those walks. I mean, you walked four, we walked four or three or four players. If you walk three or four players, I mean, what do you think is gonna happen?
Speaker 5: Those guys are gonna score nine walks? Come on?
Speaker 2: This is this is you walk nine times and able to squeeze that plate like they were last night.
Speaker 5: It's it's not gonna be good. News for the opposition.
Speaker 2: The problem is when you make a guy like Quintana come in the strike zone and the Dodgers are able to really kind of drag him out to the deep water and counts. This guy's got no opportunity because this stuff's not great. I mean, he's got a really good change up his fastball. You know, you don't respect it enough to say, well, you know what, he's gonna get me inside on that fastball. You can kind of lean out over there and get a good perspective of what he's throwing, take him and deepen in the accounts because he's probably not gonna strike you out that much. And you know, but that's doomsday for him. Now, this is a situation a guy like Kintana where you want to kind of drag him out on the count. I'm all for dragging a guy like that out because sooner or later he's gonna have to get a part of the plate or he's gonna walk you. And if he does come in there, you're gonna crush him because this stuff's not that great. So it's really a catch twenty two for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the game plan for Quintana last night, and the Dodger player sort of talked about it afterwards, was that it was gonna be a battle who was gonna last longer, the hitter or the pitcher in in it back because they knew he loves to get guys to chase, and this is a Dodgers team that doesn't chase. They're a team that will just lead you to death by walking and passing that paton and then getting you singles and they're just gonna payper cut you to death. That's what they do. And they didn't chase, and they took some strikes that they probably shouldn't have, but then again, they also were making sure they got him deep into counts almost every single time. Last night he was working on a two to two count, three to two count. That pitch count for Tana through three innings was rocketed high eighty. It was unbelievable. They chased them early because of the way they were disciplined at to play. And that's something that Dodgers throughout the times of the year saxy they would get away from that. You know, they would just be like, all right, well it's July and Cincinnati and it's a three game set. We are going to be free swingers, and they'd get away from their game and they'd lose a game or a series because they got away from what they're so good at.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, when you have a pitcher that's got great stuff, like I remember battles against guys like Nolan Ryan or Clemens or whatever, you never want to go deep in counts because they'll wipe you out. I mean, they've got pitches and they've got an amazing fastball that can you know, they kind of would have you eating out of their hands. They would dictate. So you never want to get behind on the counts. Lots of times I remember at bats against Nolan Ryan, maybe you know, three pitches that was it. I mean, you don't want to get two strikes with that dude. And so Cantana is the opposite. His stuff isn't electric. He's he's you know, kind of finicky with his pitches. He's a little here, takes them off, put a little bit on, pitch up down, that kind of stuff, and he's just gonna kind of messy. So a guy like that, you take him out in the deep water and drown him. And that's what they did to him.
Speaker 4: Dodgers up three games to one in this best of seven NLCS with a ten to win over the New York Mets. Last night, Yoshinobu Yamamoto pitch well. They took him out in the fifth inning. The Dodgers bullpen did it the rest of the way. Otanian Betts led the way offensively in the blowout win. Showyotani last night was fantastic with the leadoff home run again. He scored the four times. He had walked three times last night and when he gets on baits some mookie. Betts made the Mets pay last night with a couple of doubles and home runs and was just absolutely fantastic at the play. He took advantage of the fact that they were not pitching Otani and pitching to him, and he made them pay. Certainly, Showyotani after the game last night. How about this our own David vad say one on one was show Hey on the field after the win.
Speaker 6: Show Hey, how does that feel? How does that sound? One away from the World Series?
Speaker 5: You know, Donald about.
Speaker 7: Played really good games the last two days and the hope is to be able to play another good game tomorrow and just finish it.
Speaker 6: Show Hey, when you hit your lead off home run. Could you feel the momentum immediately on your side tonight?
Speaker 7: I just got a game you yeah, you know it brought momentum, yes, on our side. Obviously they scored two, but we were able to continue our momentum. And I think you should know who pitched great and pitched into the fifth.
Speaker 6: How big was that for Yamamoto to pitch the way he did tonight.
Speaker 7: It's never easy to be, you know, pitching away in a pressure packed environment, but I think he was able to really battle through and keep the momentum on our side. He had to fight his own battles and just really minimize the damage.
Speaker 5: Before I let you go. How much fun are you having?
Speaker 1: Just ship.
Speaker 5: This kit? Funly?
Speaker 4: Don't know, Nikki got it's been.
Speaker 7: It's been very refreshing just being able to enjoy with the teammates and also being able to play in front of away stadiums. The fans are amazing and it's been really fun.
Speaker 4: A thank you, thank you, all right, David Say with Will Ireton the translator there and show Hey Otani. Factually we've talked about it for the last week and a half. The fun that show Hey o Tani seems to be you have and he hits the home run last night, immediately flips the bat, looks over at the third base dugout of the Dodgers, and screams at the dugout, a primal scream, before running the bases to give him a one nothing lead. This is a guy. For six years we saw not a lot of emotion, We saw lots of production. We saw zero posts and appearances. He signs with the Dodgers, and here's show ay Otani on the world's stage, in front of everybody with a chance to go to the World Series. We are seeing a superstar be a superstar in the biggest stage.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the LA team's gonna loosen him up a little bit, right, and they're finding their way to do that. But no, he's such an inspiration. I mean, he comes at it from such a pure standpoint. He loves the game, you can tell, and he doesn't let things bother him. It's amazing how much he's able to compartmentalize every single pitch. I mean, he's very stoic at the plate. You don't see any reactions either way, so you don't know what he's thinking. You don't know if he's if he's in, you know, he's really on his game until you know, the lightning happens when the ball gets on the zone. Then you figure it out. But the guy's amazing. He just does everything. This is what he wanted.
Speaker 4: When he entered free agency last fall, he made it known that he wanted to be on a contender. He wanted to be able to play for championships. He spent six years doing nothing in baseball purgatory that is known as the Anaheim Angels, and he had options. The Toronto Blue Jays were knocking on his door trying to get him to sign there. There was speculation back in December that he was going to sign with the Blue Jays. Maybe it was in the San Francisco Giants, maybe he would sign with the Yankees, the Mets, the Dodgers were the spot he wanted to go, and by deferring all the money that he did, he made it known to the Dodgers, I want to win now, so go out and get other players like Yamamoto. Go out and make trades and get a Tyler glass. Now, go out and re sign players that are currently here, and let's go win a championship. And by doing all of that. He was very very open about how he wants to win now and here he is one win away from going to a World Series championship. Everything he mapped out this past offseason, it's about to live up to what he wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's perfect, very unselfish, Uh the way the way they did that, and uh, just the whole city is just thrilled. Uh what they're coming upon right now. They've got one more win to go. Uh, and you can't get you know, above yourself right now. You got to say, Okay, that's very good, keep it business like. We got one more And the Dodgers do not want to bring this back to La as much as they want to come back to La they want they kill they want to come back, but they want to come back finished. They want to They don't want to come back and have to play again. Come back a couple of days, rest, get things ready, and then go into the World Series. But you got a lot of business to take care of before that happens.
Speaker 4: One final thing on show Hey. It's funny to see the national analysts now talking about Show Hey on this stage and the NLCS and what he's doing, the crazy numbers he's put up and about to go to the World Series and be on the biggest of stage across the world, and to hear a Rod and Jeter and Big Poppy and these guys talk about, well, yeah, he put up numbers. And one of the guys said, yeah, but he did it on a team that never went to the postseason, so nobody saw him really do it. And now that he's with the do it, huh, everybody's seeing what he's able to do.
Speaker 2: The whole world saw it. He plays in the biggest market on the planet. Of course they saw it. Yeah, well, you know what, just that's fine. I mean, you know what, let his his talking will be done with that big bat that he carries up there, and then we'll we'll see what happens then. But you know what, I really like to in yesterday's game, they were able to kind of show a show hey on his own when he was running the bases, when he scored from first man, it's amazing how effortlessly this guy runs. And let me tell you he is. He is so much faster than you think. He's one of the fastest guys in the league, especially after you know he gets one base. You know, beneath him. Forget it. This guy is just lightning quick. Well you know, you saw all the bases he stole, but he really gets going. You know, after one base, guy he just puts it in overdrive and those long strides. You know, the guy six five, so he's not he's not a small guy, but man, he can really fly. I'm glad they isolated on him and everybody got a chance to see that pure athleticism.
Speaker 4: It looked like he was jogging. It looked like he was in second gear running around the bases, and especially when he hit third, it looked like he was in a home run trot the way he was running. But then he just turned it back on again halfway between third and home. He wasn't jogging, clearly, but it just looked like it. Yeah, because of this, Yeah, the gear that he can get to and as how fast he can.
Speaker 2: Get I I just marvel of watching how you know easy he runs, and I remember how hard the game was and if I had to run from third first to third, people in the third rose kind of grunting it out. This guy's just not It looks like he was way gonna wave at somebody in the stands. As he went past third, Oh, I haven't appointment with you next week, you know, And she just kind of blew out there to home plate. But yeah, fascinating to watch him.
Speaker 4: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. How you feeling, Dodger fans? One win away from going back to the World Series for the fourth time in the past eight years. Dodgers take care of business last night with they tended to win over the New York Mets. They silenced that City Field crowd, They sent them packing early. That place was a ghost town the final three innings as the Dodgers closed it out with a Game four win and now a chance to get a bid of the World Series with a win today against the New York Mets. Game five of the NLCS coming up later on this afternoon Morogo Casino. Dodgers on Deck starts at one o'clock. First pitch from City Field at two oh eight. We're off and running on this Friday edition of Saxon Kates and the Am coming up. Your phone calls. We'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. We will hear from Max Muncy. So much to get to in a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodgers Clubhouse Store, a Universal City Walk for one lucky Dodger fan. Steven Nelson David Vasse in the final hour of the show, It's a good day to be a Dodger fan. As there one went away from going back to the Fall Classic. He and Steve Saxon, Tim Kates. It's sax and Kates and Am are your home with the Dodgers an FI seventy light sports. Are you ready Dodger fans? Dodgers one went away from going back to the World Series a three to one series lead in the NLCS thanks to a ten to two win over the New York match last night. Saxon, Kate's and Am on this Friday morning, here with you until nine o'clock alive in local as the Dodgers a game five went away from going back to the World Series for the fourth time in the last eight years, and the odds are on their side. Eighty nine percent of the teams in the Championship Series reason with a three to one lead have gone on to win this series and go on to the World Series. Ironically, you know, the last team to be down three games to one, come back and win the series and go to the World Series, Saxy. You know that last team wants to do it. The twenty twenty Los Angeles Dodgers. Yeah, down three games to one, the Atlanta Braves down the bubble in Arlington in the NLCS. They come back and win in seven games, and they go on and win it over the Tampa Bay Rays down there in twenty twenty, the last team to come back from a three to one deficit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not it's not completely insurmountable, you know that. But it's tough. I mean, odds really really are against you. And you know, I don't envy the Mets situation right now because they're up against the juggernaut. This team just doesn't relent. So you know, Dodger are going to try to close this thing out. You don't want to get complacent and say, hey, well you know what, Well we can always go back to LA We're going back anyway. We can throw a game out there and wrap this thing up. No, No, you want to get this thing done tonight and not even think about it for the weekend.
Speaker 4: Yoshinobu Yamamoto last night, pitching into the fifth inning, Dave Roberts came and got him with a runner on one out and decided to go to Evan Phillips to face Marciento's and then get Alonzo to ground into a fielder's choice.
Speaker 2: But I was at the time.
Speaker 4: I actually sent a text to David Vasse and I got about three text from buddies who were asking me, why are they taking Yamamoto out of the game. There it's the fifth inning, and I said, well, let me look at his pitch count. Seventy three pitches, fifty two for strikes. He had eight punchouts at the time it was one out in the fifth inning. He has allowed two runs on four hits. He seemed to be pitching Willie really well in that fifth inning. A little bit of stress in the third inning. Yeah, but you know, averted it by getting up just the one run. I thought it was interesting because you've saved him to pitch in this game. There was no shot even if the Mets came back in one last night, and this said the series went to a game on Monday. He wasn't going to pitch the rest of this NLCS. Anyways, it was a one and done for Yamamoto in this NLCS. Why not let him just empty the tank, so to speak, and see how far he could go. Assuming if you get to the World Series, he's gonna be on plenty of rest anyways, because it may not start for another week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna be way rested out. I you know, I was a little surprised about that, but Dave Roberts knows what he's doing. Uh, and you know the pitchers are going to go through times where you're gonna have some stress. Oh my stress, you know, let him pitch through it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the thing is, you don't want to come and rescue him when you really don't need to, right, you don't need to rescue the guy right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he's been through enough.
Speaker 2: I mean when he was back in you know, in Japan he won the what's the equivalent to the the cy Young three years in a row.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much stress.
Speaker 2: You know, he's been having to go through and fix certain situations because he just dominates everybody over there. It's not gonna be the same way over here as he is. He's already found out. But let him fix some things, of course, That's how he's gonna get a little bit better, you know, bone them up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you paid them the most money for a right handed pitcher in the history of baseball. You know, take the gloves off a little bit, especially in the NLCS.
Speaker 5: On rest.
Speaker 4: It's not like he's nursing an injury. It's not like he was, you know, walking the tightrope there and the bases were loaded, and okay, next time do the lineup. I get it, bringing the reliever of fresh arm. I mean, it was a five to two game, Dodgers were winning, there was an out, there was runner on base, and you're facing Viento's. Okay, let's say Vento's hits two run home run. It's still a five to four Dodgers lead. At that point, you can say, hey, y, I'm a modo, great stuff. We maybe one bat or two many. We're gonna go to the bullpen and face Peede Alonzo to try to get out of this fifth inning. They still have a one run lead. That's the worst case scenario if you get into trouble against Vent's. Let's say you walk Vento's, Okay, runner on first and second, and now the time run the plate with Pete Alonso. Now I'm going to the bullpen. Yeah, but maybe you go back to batter, let him pitch the fantels. Maybe he gets a ground ball and you're out of the innea, a double play and he gets through five innings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let him out.
Speaker 2: You know what I liked about what I see about Yamamoto now pitching as opposed to the first start against San Diego, where everything was breaking, uh, you know, from the letter to the belt. Now we see everything breaking from the thigh to the ground. And that's where he's effective. When he's got tilt to his pitches. When he pitches the fastball up in the zone with with some with some hop to it, that's fine, but his breaking stuff has got to be from around the thigh level to the ground. Let that work in that area. It has much better action when the ball's down and tilting towards the ground. And I found him pitching extremely well with his secondary pitches in this in this fashion. And you know who they've really handcuffed so far in this series, done a great job on him is Pete Alonzo. They've kind of taken him out, you know, two more strikeouts again yesterday. You see him stretching and kind of you know, expanding his zone a little bit. He's trying to, you know, hit two home runs and one at back because he's kind of feeling the pressure a little bit. And Yamamoto, I thought, really changed over his game and changed the trajectory of those secondary pitches down lower in the zone, which has been extremely beneficial for him. Yeah, and Alonso's come up with runners on. He's come up in some key situations to do some damage against the Dodgers. And he did it before they played the Dodgers, Yeah, before that, you know, so, yeah, he did it.
Speaker 5: You know what he can do.
Speaker 4: He did against the Brewers, He certainly did it against the Phillies. The Dodgers, as you mentioned, absolutely have done a great job. And last night Yamamoto mixed in the slider. And the slider is a pitch that when he got his shoulder soreness was a lot of the people were pointing.
Speaker 5: To the slider was the reason. Why.
Speaker 4: Was a pitch he would have developed And really the Dodgers wanted him to use more. And because he threw it, it puts some different pressure on his shoulder. He wasn't used to throwing it. They they think that's what led to the shoulder injury, and so when he comes back, he had stayed away from throwing the slider. He was sticking with the fastball, the cutter and the split finger, which is absolutely nasty that he throws. And last night he threw the most sliders that he had all seas. I think it was fourteen sliders, yep, that he threw. So the Mets, you know, a new wrinkle thrown at them, literally is a slider they weren't expecting.
Speaker 2: And you know, he's got tremendous action on that splitter. He buries it as well. It's splitter he almost uses as a change up at times because it runs away from the left hander and down and barrels into the right hander's back foot, and that's a great pitch for him. It's it kind of more from a splitter kind of. I think he changes speeds on it and it works more like a like a change up that has action on it. So he's he's finding that there's different ways to move this and kind of like a mini version, if you will, of what you Darvish does with the expansion of his pitches. I mean, he's got like eight different ones, and you know, you kind of see Yamamoto used in a little bit of that if you will, to expand his arsenal, and it's working real well for him.
Speaker 4: I liked the composure of Yamamoto on the mound last night. I felt like after that first Padre game in which he was spiking the offspeed pitches, and maybe the moment was too big for him at the time and he had to settle in. You mentioned the second start against the Padres, he was fantastic, and last night, I'll be honest with you, I had to take some tums. I was a little nervous about which Yamamoto was gonna show up. Was it gonna be the first start against the Padre Yamamoto or the second start against the Padres Yamamoto. And he came out last night, even with traffic on the bass pass, and pitch really well. I mean he got swing, he got some whims, he got a lot of swinging misses. I mean he was forty percent. He was throwing his forcing fastball last night and then mixing in the rest of his pitches. He was calm when they had traffic on the bass pass. He didn't get flustered. He weren't seeing up there sweating or taking time on the mound and you know, trying to look for help at the dugout. I like the composure out of that twenty six year old last night.
Speaker 2: Hey you put you try to put yourself in his position, if you could for a minute and think about the luxury you have where the pressure is not all on him. He got this enormous, enormous amount of money, which he completely deserves, I believe, and he yet at the same time, the pressure isn't on him nearly as much. You've got guys in that bullpen that can come and throw you a lifeline at any second. You've got an offense that can explode for runs and have you spit out the hook at any time. This is a great luxury to have to be on a team that you have so many outlets that can come and help you, you know, And that's just a wonderful thing. Imagine if you're a team that's struggling like Pittsburgh. If you were on that club, man, you got like limited resources to for the people around you. You got an offense that's struggling, I mean, it's got to be you or die, right. Not so with a team like the Dodgers, and sort of been the.
Speaker 4: Case all season long, with the pressure not being on him because of Otani being there. I mean, you know, let's face it, the two of them both signed as free agents this past offseason. Otani got all the media attention. I mean, there was a press conference for Yamamoto, but there was like a thirty media there because it's not Otani going into spring training, certainly Otani. Everybody's focusing on Otani. Oh, the big three, Otani, Betts, Freeman, Wow, look how good this Dodger team. Clayton Kershaw is returning. It's almost like Yamamoto was under the radar all season long in a good way because his first season in the big leagues getting used to American baseball and the culture over here. I mean outside the start in Soul, South Korea, which you know, he looked like a deer in headlights. He pitched really well, and he feel like he just kind of went and got This was a year of adjustment for him coming to the big leagues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dealing with injury too.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much he had to deal with back in Japan, but you know that throws another a big wrinkle into it, of course, But yeah, Culturally, it's a big I mean I remember going down to you know, South America and playing in Venezuela. The baseball part was when you felt most comfortable. The tough part is culturally and living to you know, learning to live a new life in a different world. That's really the hard part. I bet he feels most comfortable when he's on the diamond.
Speaker 4: Well, Mookie Bets felt pretty comfortable last night in the plate, four for six with the home run, he had a double, He scored three times. Mookie Bets continues to deliver, and the one two punch of Otanian Bets is something pretty special. Mookie Bets last night in Sho Hey o Tani combined five for nine with five ribbies, a couple of home runs, three walks. After the game last night, here's Mookie Bets talking about his game and this Dodgers team being one went away from going back to the World Series.
Speaker 5: Felt pretty good.
Speaker 9: You know, it's good to feel good. It's good to help the teaming. Pitching did amazing keeping them off the board, really, so, you know, it was fun and.
Speaker 4: Mookie, the lineup has changed so much behind show hey and you what was it like to see a guy like Tommy have such a big night in the cleanup spot tonight.
Speaker 9: You know, I think that's the beauty of our our team. It can change, but whoever's in the lineup is good, and they're gonna follow the plan and they're gonna they want to win, and so that's why we're that's why we are up three to one right now.
Speaker 8: LOOKI after a tiny hit that home run to start the game, did you kind of figure you know it'd be the type of game where okay, now they're gonna start avoiding him and that you know you're gonna get chances to have good swings.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, no, no, By no means, I just know there was a stretch there for like two or three at bats. I don't even think he saw a pitch remotely close, which I understand. But it's gonna be tough to just walk them all the time, especially with the lineup and the and the guys. Freddie been in play as well, so.
Speaker 5: We'll see.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mookie, can you just talk about the way the offense has been able to work the Mets pitching staff drawing walks, keeping the line moving.
Speaker 9: I think just following the plan our coaches do a really good job in preparing us and the guys. We all believe in them, We believe in each other, and we know, like I said, whether the plan is right or wrong doesn't really matter. It's just at least we follow the plan no matter what, and it's been right so far.
Speaker 4: All right, there's Mookie Bets postgame last night. Doesn't doesn't sound like Mookie Bets realizes they're one went away from it a rule series of period.
Speaker 5: I think he's aware.
Speaker 4: I mean he's either just really calm or locked in right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get locked in. You know, you put this one in the bank, Okay, then now you go onto the next one. Very this is where you got to be business like.
Speaker 5: You got to be very business professional like.
Speaker 2: And don't you can't get you can't get you know, enveloped in all that hype because it'll take you off course. You gotta stay central and just look at what's in front of you right now. And so that's what they're doing. They're doing it very well. This is very professional team love it.
Speaker 4: I mean, imagine being Mookie Bets. I mean kind of leading to movie that would be wonderful, but the kind of leading on your experience. To have a show, Hey Otani in front of you, and to know that he if there's nobody on base, Mokie mentioned like there's he saw very few pitches in the strike zone, show Heyo Tani did when when there wasn't anybody on base, and after he hit that lead off home run, Mookie knows like they're pitching around Otani to get to him. And I hope he takes that as a slap. I hope he takes that because he's done a good job already this year, a couple of home runs when they've pitched or intentionally walked o Tawi to get to Mookie. Bet So he certainly made teams pay. But yes, I felt like last night was also one of those games in which he made them pay with the double, the home run and really kind of took it personal. And maybe that's a little bit of the anger and the little the little bit of the the the the attitude there for Muki is you know, Hey, it's a slap at me. You know you're gonna pitch around the greatest hitter of all time to and try to get to me. Well, I'm gonna make you pay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and why not?
Speaker 2: I mean That's what it's all about. And you know another thing that we hadn't talked about much. With all those numbers that they threw up yesterday, the five hits, the five RBI, all that whatever, seven runs scored, seven runs between two guys, Otani and Betts, that is just elected. That just cripples the other team right there. Forget about all the other guys, but the top of that lineup just we knew this was gonna happen sometime. Remember we were talking about, well, somebody's gonna pay. Well, the Mets are paying right now. Well here's another number for you. Twelve.
Speaker 4: The two of them combined for twelve at bats last night. Not so many times they turn the lineup over. And that tells you right there, those nine walks, extending innings, turning the lineup over and getting Otani. This is the reason why Dave Roberts wants them in the top spot. Because Showy Otani gets six at bats in the game. Mookie Betts gets six at bats in the game. You'll take that all day.
Speaker 2: Heck yeah. And like I said, there's so many different ways. There's there's everybody has a different role. It seems all wrapped into one common goal, you know, and that's just to thwart this other team. But they've got all these different ways of doing it, the power, the speed, and I just think you can't. You know, we all see the big glitzy things that the big stars do, but I tell you, you gotta, you gotta keep your eye on what's happening internally with this team, kind of like the the underpinning of what makes it great as well. And that's when when you got guys like Kik and Tommy Edmund. How about this series, this guy's having crazy good.
Speaker 4: Imagine being Tommy Edmond. You get into the park yesterday and Dave Roberts maybe comes over to your locker there and maybe kicks you in the leg, and Hey, Tommy, how you feeling.
Speaker 5: I'm doing good? Good?
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm batting you clean up today? You're batting forth in Game four the NLCS. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 5: Tommy?
Speaker 4: I mean, like, that's gotta be gotta be a shock to him. I don't know how many times he's bad clean up in his life, let alone clean up in a postseason game. But that shows you how much confidence they have in him. And it's probably more or the case that he can get on base, right, Saxone. They're not looking for him to drive the ball and hit a three run home running that cleanup spot, but more of a guy that, all right, the top of the line's gonna do their thing. We need a bridge between those guys and everybody else. And you're the guy that can get on base.
Speaker 2: And you know what, he was back in Clint and he drove in three runs, right, nothing wrong with that. You know, you don't have to do it in a prolific fashion. It just you know, the deal is to make contact and put the ball in play and let those guys run. And that hit that he had the left center field was just at the right time. So you know, there's there's something just great about not striking out. I mean, I just love that part of the game and I want to see it come back where Hey, it's important to put the ball in play. Tommy Edmund does that as a good as anybody.
Speaker 4: He does him and Downey. Welcome to Saxon, Katese and the am Dodgers, twenty seven ounce away from going to a World Series yet again. Let me do the math for you. That's one game. They're one game away.
Speaker 10: Himie, good morning, gentlemen. Yes, that's that's exciting. But I was just hearing Mookie right now. I was thinking about I think they've put this quote in the locker room and just thinking about the Mamba, the great Kobe Bryant, Kobe Bryant quote where he's like, job's not done, Job's not finished. So I think it's that mentality, and I think they're excited, and hopefully after today's game they'll show some emotion. But I think it is that we're one game away, but there's still one more game, and I think you guys mentioned earlier they want to get it done. Let's get it done in New York, come back home and get ready for the World Series. So I think it is that that mentality, and I think they'll show the emotion when necessary, but right now, it's business. They got to take care of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: And they've been leaning hard on the Kobe Bryant quote, Job's not finished, and it's been up inside the Dodger Clubhouse since the NLDS and the good series against the Padres, even though were down two games to one, and even when that Game five happened on Friday even into this NLCS that has really been the mantras, jobs not finish, and you're seeing all these guys buy into that. And again that takes something special for these guys with the star power that they have, all the way down to the twenty six man on the roster. All these guys have bought into that mentality.
Speaker 2: And tim what what We're obviously not in the locker room, but I promise you there is conversations going on in that locker room at the at the lockers, private one on ones about about guys making it go in the right way, about guys setting their mindset properly, about guys not getting too ahead of themselves, and you will you won't see a lot of these things in the headlines or whatever, but those conversations you're getting with the professional team. Dave Roberts knows the value of having guys on that team that not police each other, but just want to make sure that everything's nice and squared up, and everybody's got the right mindset right now, coming in after they put these guys away, expecting to put these guys away tonight. The proper mindset and the conversations at the lockers right now are huge for this team, and you know they're happening, and Dave knows they're happening, and that's such a plus for this club.
Speaker 4: That is a great point. He is Steve Sachs. I'm Tim Kates at Sax and Kates in the AM. Dodgers beat the Mats in Game four the NLCS last night in convincing fashion, tended to the final coming up next to your phone calls coming up between now and nine o'clock a two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodgers' clubout store at Universal City Walk. Yeah, there'll be a chance for you to maybe get that World Series gear, little T shirt, a hat, sweatshirt, as the Dodgers are one win away from going back to the Fall Classic eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy Sax and Kates in the AM along with you as we do this ride together through the Dodger postseason here on Anti seventy ice Sports, Saxon Kates in the AM five to seventy LA Sports here all of the show. Hey o, Tani, Mookie Betts and the Dodgers. Game five in the NLCS is coming up later on Friday afternoon. Dodgers win Game four last night in convincing fashion. They boat race the Mets where they tended to win. Evan Phillips gets the winning relief of Yoshiyamamoto, who pitched into the fifth and he struck out eight along the way. What's beautiful bout last night, Saxon, in this blowout win again for the Dodgers, is that Evan Phillips, Yes, pitched at inning in a third, but he was well rested. Blake trying and pitched it inning in the third and back to back day, So we'll see his availability today. I don't think he'll go three straight days. But you saw Edguardo Henriquez, the young hard throwing right hander who back in April was in Rancho Kuckamonga in a ball for the Quakes and skyrocketed through the system. He had an arm injury about a year ago. He can throw one hundred and four miles an hour a flamethrower, and they brought him up in September because they needed arms out of the bullpen because Bruce dark Ratterol got hurt and lo and behold him and Ben Caspirius, who were in the minor leagues for the first five months of the season. Now here they are in the postseason. Caspira's got to pitch in Game three, Henriquez got to pitch two innings last night in Game four of the NLCS, And you're saving your arms for a possible Game five today. You got Brazier and Hudson and Bonda, and you got Michael Kopek who didn't pitch last night, and even in Evan Phillips, who probably can pitch on back to back knights. All those high leverage arms are available today to back up. Oh yeah, a guy who went already seven shutout innings at his last start, Jake Flaherty.
Speaker 2: Yes, a great move by Dave. Dave roberts Enriquez and Riquez has got really good stuff, man. This guy was an a ball earlier. Just amazing great stuff too. In needs that he gobbled up yesterday that you don't have to put on somebody else. They're going to be available today. But I got to tell you something.
Speaker 5: You know, it's really you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's really filthy trying, Blake trying, and oh his stuff is wicked. You're talking ninety seven with wicked sink into a right handed hit her man. No, thank you. I don't want to deal with that stuff. Here's this stuff is nasty. He's thirty six years old. He's thirty seven and isn't he he's uh, he might be. Yes, he's been around. I mean he's been in the big leagues for a decad. When he was with Opes for a long time, remember that. Yeah, he was banished over there.
Speaker 4: He was one of the best relievers in baseball. He had thirty eight saves back in twenty eighteen. He was really good and then got hurt and missed all of twenty twenty three. I mean, he missed most of twenty twenty two, all of twenty twenty three and finally got right and the Dodgers brought him back and one of those older veterans in the bullpen and fifty appearances during the regular season. He can be a high leverage guy in the middle of a game. Late in the game, he can close out a game for you. Another reliever who just doesn't care about his role. No, you know, and he'll fly out and say, I don't care if you want to put me in whatever situation you want to put me in.
Speaker 5: I'll go out there and.
Speaker 2: Hey about him. He can get whatever part of the plate he wants. There's so much action on the ball that he throws. I don't even know if he knows exactly what part of the plate it's going to. But he can throw a sinker, believe it or not. He can throw a sinker up at the letters, and that sucker's diving down to about your thigh.
Speaker 5: I mean, just whoop.
Speaker 2: It's like, where is this coming from? This is nasty sink man. You don't see that much. Who is the left hand of the pitch for the the Orioles And he went over to the Yankees. The lefty that had the tremendous sink on his fastball, he got hurt. His name escapes me, but that's what his fastball looks like to me, only on the other side, on the right side. This is a doomsday for guys wanting a big hit from the right side that have to face him. He could tell him it's hey, here comes a two seamer, bro and he throw it and you got no chance.
Speaker 5: That stuff's so wicked.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Jared in Boise, Idaho. Joins us from God's country up there, and boys, you Jared.
Speaker 11: Good morning, guys. Oh my gosh, I'm gonna turn out the fanboy too much. But Steve Sachs, I'm forty nine years old and you're my idol growing up.
Speaker 5: Thank you, love your.
Speaker 11: Grit, your hustle, lead off second base man. You are the reason I'm still a Dodger fan.
Speaker 5: So thank you.
Speaker 10: Thanks for all you did and all.
Speaker 11: You're doing now. Love listen to you, guys.
Speaker 10: But I have a.
Speaker 11: Comment this team and how they have bought in from the top from.
Speaker 10: Freeman Domes, how.
Speaker 11: Dave Roberts has got this team to buy in and completely play as a full team, the way he's innovated this bullpen, and how he's throwing them because they don't have enough starters. And and then the batters, how they they're they're walking, they're walking for each other. They are they are not giving in and passing that baton. It is truly remarkable to see them play really as a team. It is the epitome of the team in my opinion. What do you guys think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jerry, thanks for the nice words towards me. I really appreciate that. No, he's gone, he's gone.
Speaker 2: Hey, nice guy, thank you you want to take that to him?
Speaker 4: No, just a buy in, Saxie. I mean you're huge, You're a guy in that clubhouse, you were, you were there. I mean it takes a lot to get everybody to buy in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well let's remember too, it all starts with pitching and that boom, there's my there's my boom. No, it all starts with pitching, and suddenly suddenly the guys that are out there starting or are getting to be now a big plus for the team. Now it's a plus who they've got starting, and it should be because all these guys are in the infirmary list right, all these as I've hurt. But Tim, when we come back, can I can? I I've got a marketing thing for you. I think it's really good. I think your marketing specialist should get on it. But I think I got a new venture for you.
Speaker 4: Love it that's coming up. He is Steve Sacks. I'm Tim Kates and sax and Kates and am on your home and the Dodgers, who are one win away from going back to the World Series right here at an FI seventy ice Sports