Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Ray Lee and this is the Gillingham Podcast for anyone living in the Gillingham and Spa area.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to award winning vocal coach and founder of the Rocket Choir Mark James. When did you start the choir?
Speaker 3: Mark?
Speaker 4: I think I started it in two thousand and eighteen Septemb twenty eighteen, So yes, with the notes, this is our eighth year.
Speaker 2: No lovely yea And what's your musical background?
Speaker 4: Well, I was the kid at school that was told not to bother do music because it's not my thing. So I just grew up. Basically, I went to see lame Is when I was eight years old, and when that's what I want to do for a living, That's what I want to be when I grow up. And then is that whole thing of if you don't have the right people sort of like showing you how to do it and going from there. So I didn't get into it until I was really late, and it wasn't until I was about mid twenties when I started doing amateur dramatics and I went for a role and they went, oh, he's all right, you can sing a bit, which I'd always loved singing and I've always done some bits and pieces, but yeah, I went from sort of like doing like amateur dramatics to people going, oh, can you come and do some stuff for us, and that kind of that kind of work from there, and then people would offer me a bit of paid work. And then I was doing a gig with a duo that I knew, which I met on line, and they asked who I trained with, and I said, well, I haven't trained at all, and they said, well, we need to get you training because if that's where you are without training, we need to. So I then went to go and see somebody in yoga, and I trained privately and I qualified as a musical theater singer, so I got diplomas in musical theater. Unfortunately, he passed away really soon after I got those, so I went through other bits and pieces and one of the things that he told me was to always make sure you keep on training. So I kept on training and I found a specialist voice college. So I then went on and trained to be a singing teacher, like properly because my kids were young at the time, so I couldn't go out and do the performance side of things. And I got loads of qualifications in that through the Voice College when I then became a tutor with them as well, and then it just sort of like snowballed from there.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 4: I then got some TV gigs and I was working on TV, and then after that, when my kids got older and Smellia I went off and I went off and started doing my own performing thing as well and running the choirs.
Speaker 3: So it's I've been a gradual build.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things that once you're if you if you've got music, or if you've got that creative itch inside you. It's not like an office job. If you do an office job, you can do an office job and you'd sort of come home. You put away when you're When you're creative, there's something in you that itches, and if you're not doing it, you will always find some way to do that. So I think that's what it was, even though at school it was something I always wanted to do. And unfortunately again when we when I went to secondary school after primary school, there was no outlet. There was no music department of such, there was definitely no drama department. It was an all boys school. It was a comprehensive. We had all failed eleven pluses, so there was no sort of like way to find where that that expression yeah would come from. So it's sort of like all led from there, if you like. So there was always I was always looking for that, those ways to be able to to get that, to get that sort of creativity out, and it just eventually managed to come out, and I managed to find a way of being able to make a living from it as well.
Speaker 2: So how many members you've got now with Rocket?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So we've just opened our fourth choir in Sturmus and Newton on a Monday, So along with the other three, which is Gillingham, Blandford and Wincanton, we're up to around about one hundred and eighty six members now, which when we started on the very first night we had forty four people walking through the door, and then we had regular numbers of about thirty, which I thought was really really good. So to be where we are now is is yeah amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah amazing. Is it? Is it a serious choir? No?
Speaker 3: Not all No, I don't do serious no.
Speaker 4: So it's it's the idea of Rocket is it's supposed to be there for anyone that wants to come along and enjoy music and anyone that wants to just have a bit of a laugh with it. We put the emphasis on having a bit fun. They still make a really good, really good sound, and everyone will it's really hard to be able to create that. But what we don't do is put the pressure on. Nobody gets shouted at for getting it wrong. Nobody will ever get told off if they get the words wrong or anything like that. And we also don't sort of like, we don't have this what serious choirs have, So we don't use sheet music.
Speaker 3: It's all used in guide tracks.
Speaker 4: So it's a way that anybody that wants to get involved can come along and get involved with and just have fun with it.
Speaker 2: And the choir has done quite a bit of charity work.
Speaker 3: Over the time.
Speaker 4: Don't like to talking about the charity work obviously, you know, or the charity work we've done.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, we have.
Speaker 4: I think we're coming close to now around about twenty thousand pounds that we've raised for charity.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So we we started.
Speaker 4: Off doing little bits and pieces, won't it When we first started for local causes like the local carnival and bits and pieces like that. So we did a concept for Ukraine and we we were really really sort of like stunned. We raised over a thousand poundful that I think it was, it was coming up to about nineteen hundred pounds we raised for that one in the end.
Speaker 3: And then after that, a year after that, there.
Speaker 4: Was the earthquake in Turkey, which obviously hit everyone, some people in the local community that were from Turkey, and we were sort of like talking to them, so we actually raised more money again and we ended up with about two and a half thousand pounds for the Turkey apial. So that's I've got everything going. And then unfortunately a few years ago one of our one of our choir members in Blamford lost his son who took his own life. Which one of the things I'm really really proud about with the choir is that they all support each other and everyone sort of comes together. There's no clicks, there's no bitchiness or anything like that. It is just one big sort of like group of people that comes together. Really yeah, and that that's across all choirs as well. So once we say you remember a rocket, you remember of all of rocket, not just one of the groups. So everyone sort of came together and we did this concert for in Ben's name, and for that one we did it for bad CO. We set a target of one thousand pounds for that one, and the idea is that for every three hundred pound we made it got us, it got us one person through counseling. At the at the end of the night, by the time that everything had come in, we'd raised over three thousand pounds. So that was when we put it into that's ten people that went through through counseling because of that, and so that for us was was, you know, set us on a journey. And we've done other bits and pieces since then. Some of the choir have gone off and done other charity work for it as well on their own. And then it it came to two three years ago we did a charity ceed for bad CO, which actually the choir funded themselves, so they paid for all the rights of the music and everything else that we needed, so that when it went on sale, all the profit from the charity from the sales of the CD went directly the charity. And again that one raised over one thousand pounds just just.
Speaker 3: From the CDs.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so that and then, you know, and then we've just always sort of like found charities that have meant stuff to the choir and they've been able to attach themselves to it, which has made us want to do more for it. Things like Julia's house when unfortunately my cousin who was really she was she wasn't even a teenager and she passed away, we did a race night and raised money for her. And more recently we unfortunately lost one of our choir members to her heart condition, and she was really really keen to talk about Cardiact risk and the young or cry the charity. And so in a couple of weeks on the eleventh of April, we've got a charity concert for or for Claire.
Speaker 3: It is called the.
Speaker 4: Win Canton Together, and it's the Claire Language Memorial Concert. And we've got all the all the different groups in win Canton coming together, like the Silver Band, We've got the we've got the Youth Theater, we've got the Core Society. So they're all coming together to basically raise money for christ so that we can do in her memory what she wanted to happen, which is which is really you know, which is really really lovely.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to play a track now from the Charity.
Speaker 5: C D.
Speaker 6: Don't happen. They like there's no mony that.
Speaker 3: Ve so.
Speaker 6: They take.
Speaker 5: Let's just thinking about being out without the same way that same sad a ring this is sounds sound, so they don't like using silent.
Speaker 6: Let's me know that song you saying, don't say as you're a fan, you don't not tap nothing for you. They'll not tea the place they are all people like you that a table save the south, just so that would be something inside.
Speaker 5: You'll be a lot to the robing have been robby this sasside beside, so they're gonna be a taking sound. Ask me now that so say say you know not same as mask thereck the kay were locking away the love ways so sid show itself.
Speaker 6: M music inside as we got that song.
Speaker 5: Writing say no sames you shot side.
Speaker 2: That was don't just sing it rocket from the Charity c D. Rocket around the Christmas tree and that was in a bad cot And I understand it's still available on your website.
Speaker 4: It is Yeah, you can go on to uh yeah, should I do my best radio bos good? So it's www dot rocket choir dot com. That's r O K I T Rocket choir dot com.
Speaker 3: Sorry, more recently, you've.
Speaker 2: Done a couple of flash mobs at some wedding fairs we have.
Speaker 3: They went well.
Speaker 4: I don't know if the people listening will understand what a flash mob is, because it could sound a little bit sort of like wrong. A flash mob is basically when you have one person starting to sing, which nobody's expecting, and then all of a sudden, more and more people turn up and then you end up with a room full of people singing. So we did one at the wedding fair in Stone It's Newton at the Exchange and that one was the first one that well, we've we've done them before pre pandemic, and we did one when we first started in win Canton at a Christmas fair, but this these are the biggest ones we've done. So the one that we did at the Exchange actually started at the bottom and the bottom floor and we worked our way right the way through the exchange, up the stairs, into the cafe and then into the big theater. So we started off with one soloist and by the time that finished we had over one hundred people singing in the main theater. So that was that was phenomenal listening to that and then this Saturday or this Sunday just gone, we were asked to do it again at the Crown Hotel in Blamford, and again it was one person started singing and by the end of that one we had about eighty eighty to ninety people singing at the end, which is always great. The only people I feel sorry for are the traders because all these traders suddenly see the place getting busy, thinking they're going to have loads and loads of business coming in, and then everyone starts singing at them and then they just walk away so they see their profits. That I die away straight away, But now all the other people seem to enjoy it and had.
Speaker 3: A bit of a laugh.
Speaker 2: So you got some gigs coming up in the summer. Yes, Shafty Fringe again.
Speaker 3: Yeah we are. We're back at the Fringe. So we again.
Speaker 4: Last year we were raising money for badco. We raised two hundred and fifty pounds for Bacco last year. This year we're going to go back. We haven't chosen the charity yet, so we'll do it again for charity and we tend to use that as a bit of a warm up for our summer concert, so we get where the choirs can come together sing some of the songs, and then it's the week after we'll be doing our main summer concert at the Exchange again in Stuminster at the end of July. That's the end of July. That's right, it's the last Saturday July. Last year we had ninety people on the stage singing, and this year we're hoping to have well, we're hoping to have in excess of one hundred people all singing together to go from there, and we've got an amazing special act coming down. We've got opera Leiley who are a comedy opera ukulele duo who don't There's just no real way to describe what they do. You've got to see it to believe it. But at the same time, they are phenomenally talented and really really funny is that they're those type of people that will make you just absolutely cry with laughter, but at the same time will make you go wow. They're brilliant with their voices as well. So you know, both George and Manda, you know, friends of mine, and every time I hear them sing and perform, I always just hate them because they're too good.
Speaker 2: So do you have you any ambitions now for the Rocket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's always ambitions. I mean I've never I've never really set a plan of where I want to be because I find the plans can get dismissed or they can get pushed down, and if you do that, then you you can get a little bit disheartened by it. What I what I like to do is look for opportunities. So I look for where the best opportunities are, and when I see an opportunity, we run with it. And so I think a lot more performing Definitely, We've got more and more people coming in now, so it gives us the opportunity to be able to do more parts, more complicated songs. We've We've got a really good reputation in the area for fun, you know, for fun songs, and forgetting an audience involved. If anyone comes to a Rocket concert for the first time, they don't really know what they're letting themselves in for. Because it's not just a case that you will sit down in the audience and watch people singing at you, you know, for two hours. The audience will get involved. We want people to have fun, we want them to be part of the choir as well. At one point. At last summer concert, we had an audience of three hundred people and we turned the three hundred people in the audience plus one hundred people on the stage into one big choir. So it's really the ambition is really just that and just keep on going and spreading it as much as we can and giving as much joy to people in the local community from you know, Gillingham, Wincanton, Blamford, sturmuson Newton. Just give everyone the opportunity that wants to take part in music. Just you know, go from there and that doesn't matter. Seventy percent of the people that come along to Rockets say they can't sing. That's the first thing they say to me when they come in, Oh, you know, I can't sing. And then when they suddenly realize what they can do when they're surrounded by a group of people and they have that, they have that safety in.
Speaker 3: Numbers, you know.
Speaker 4: And that's what Rocket's about. That's what I love about my job. It's taking somebody that says, oh, I can't do that, and then going you just did. That's that's the best part. So I would say that the the the aim for Rocket going forward is to make more people feel that way, biant, because that's that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: So anybody interested enjoining the best way to get in.
Speaker 3: Touch, so you can go on to our website.
Speaker 4: So it's www dot Rocket Choir dot com. Yes, so you can get to go on there. You can have a little bit of a look to see what we're what we're about. You can also find us on Facebook and also on Instagram as well, so there's the main Rocket Choirs pages, but we've also got as well. There's on the Facebook pages. There's one for each of the different choirs. So if you want to see what's going on with that, or if you want to you can just turn up on the night, come along and take part. It's seven pounds a night, so it's not expensive.
Speaker 3: Pays you go.
Speaker 4: You don't have to come every week because I know that sometimes life gets in the way. It's absolutely fine. It's just about coming along, finding your voice, having a bit of fun, making a few friends and having a giggle.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, Well, thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 3: I promise, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I having by.
Speaker 1: If you're a member of a group or organization that would like to be featured on the Future Killing and podcast. Then you can email me at Killingham Podcast at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening, O