Speaker 1: The Life of Noah teaches us what to do when no one else understands your goal.
Speaker 2: When you have a dream that God has.
Speaker 1: Given you and put it in your heart and you're trying to do something you believe God wants you to do, and nobody else gets it. God used Noah to save the future of the entire human race. Now, the bigger the life vision God gives you, the bigger the problems you can expect to have. And you could also expect that when God gives you a dream or a goal or a vision for your life, a lot of other people just aren't going to understand it. Now, maybe you're in this situation today you say, I know what I want to do with my life. I know what God wants me to do with my life. I know what my goal is, my dream, my vision is, but nobody else gets it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You know, when most people think of Noah, they always want to know about the details of the flood and the details of the arc, this giant ship that he built, and all the animals and how they got collected and now the miracles occurred. And I'll agree that those are fascinating details.
Speaker 2: But today, for the purpose of.
Speaker 1: This message, I want us to just set those details aside, and I want to focus on the man himself, Noah, and how he handled getting the arc built when nothing ever, ever had ever been built like it, and when the idea of a flood had never even been considered on the earth. The Bible said, it had never rained on Earth before the flood, So the people didn't even know what Noah was talking about, and nobody believed that God had told Noah that this was going to happen, and that he was going to build an arc, and that all of the world.
Speaker 2: Was going to end.
Speaker 1: And yet he had an assignment that took literally decades and decades and decades. Now, just in case some of you don't know this story, the Bible tells us that there was a time on Earth when mankind got so depraved and so wicked and so perverted that God regretted creating human beings. And God was ready to just wipe out the entire human race and start all over from scratch.
Speaker 2: But he looked.
Speaker 1: Down on Earth and he found one guy, one guy with a pure heart, a true believer with integrity, who genuinely loved God and he wanted to do the right thing. And that guy's name was Noah. So God looks down and he finds though, and he tells, no Noah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make it rain. Now.
Speaker 1: The Bible says before that that God had watered the earth plants from a dew, a mist that came up from the ground at night, So the entire firmendment of the earth changed the climate you talk about climate change.
Speaker 2: They had never rained on.
Speaker 1: Earth before this, which is why they had never seen a rainbow, why they had never heard of a flood. And it was and by the way, it's probably why they lived so much longer in those days. They lived hundreds of years longer in the early years of the Earth, the Bible tells us. In fact, Noah lived nearly six hundred years and took him nearly one hundred years.
Speaker 2: To build the arc.
Speaker 1: But he said, I'm going to make it rain so much that it's going to create a worldwide flood, and it's going to cover the entire earth, and it's going to wipe out everything. But I'm going to save your family and your sons and your wives, and they're going to repopulate the earth, which means Noah is your ancestor. We're all related to Noah somehow, so we're all family in that way. Now, God said, the way I'm going to save you is, I'm going to have you build this giant boat, which we'll call the Arc, and I'm going to give you the plans and I'm going to teach you how to build it with your sons. But it's not going to take a long, long, long time.
Speaker 2: To build it. And using the ages of.
Speaker 1: Noah's sons, Bible scholars have figured out that it probably took Noah about eighty years to build the Ark. It was a minimum of fifty years. And during this time no one, no one on Earth except Noah's family would understand Noah's goal. And he's building this arc in the front yard and they're not.
Speaker 2: Nobody's going to understand.
Speaker 1: The neighbors are going to understand what's going on, why Noah's doing it. Everybody's going to think you're crazy, Noah. Now this is the setup for the story of Noah that we find in Genesis chapter six to chapter nine. Now, on Noah's story, we learn that Noah was able to reach his goal, to fulfill his mission, to achieve the dream that God had put in his heart, and do what God had called him to do with his life in spite of four common pitfalls. They are distractions, doubts, detours, and delays. Now, specifically, Noah shows us the antidote to four things. First, cultural distractions. These are the things that are around your life that waste your time and waste your energy, and waste your focus and waste your money when God says, here's what I want you to do with your life. The second pitfall is what I call voices of doubt, and that's those voices that you hear from people around you that cause you the second guess yourself and your goal in life. The third pitfall are what I call tempting detours, and these are things that look like shortcuts and this will save me some time, but they actually points you in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: And the fourth.
Speaker 1: Pitfall that Noah had to avoid is what I call discouraging delays because it took him almost one hundred years to build this arc. Now we learn the same four choices that Noah made are the same four choices that you must make in order to fulfill God's purpose and God's plan.
Speaker 2: For your life. So let's get right into it.
Speaker 1: Here's the first choice that Noah made that you're going to have to make in order to get to the fulfillment of the dream, the vision, and the goal God hasked for your life. Number one, I must dare to be different from my culture. I must dare to be different from my culture. Now, until you settle this big issue, you're never going to fulfill your destiny. You can forget fitting in. You can't fit in with culture and fit in with God's plan for your life. The Bible tells us in Genesis, chapter six, verse nine, first part of the verse. It says this, this is the account of Noah and his descendants. Noah had God's approval. Notice this, Noah had God's approval, and he was a man of integrity among the people of his time, as from God's words translations. Now, if you intend to do anything significant with your life, it's going to be in spite of our culture, not because of it. You hear that in spite of the culture, not because of it. Culture will distract you from God's purpose for your life. And would you agree there are plenty of things that distract you from your destiny. Yeah, let me just mention four cultural distractions. Real quick Number one would be pleasure. Our world is pleasure crazy, living for fun, living for comfort, living for entertainment. You can't live for those things and live for God. Possessions, you know, judging your success by how much stuff you accumulate. Possessions, pleasure, popularity, worrying about what other people think. You can't focus on being popular and doing what God has called you to do with your life at the same time. And how about profit if your number one goal is to get rich. I just want to remind you that Jesus said you cannot serve both God and money. He didn't say you shouldn't. He said you can't. You can't have to do gods. Whatever is number one in your life will be your God. Now, in Noah's day, the human race had hit bottom morally. Genesis chapter six, Verse eleven and twelve says this earth had become corrupt in the sight, in God's sight, and it was filled with violence. Now notice he might circle these words corrupt and then violence, and God observed all the evil. There's a third word done in the world, and he noticed cruelty. There's the fourth world word and depravity everywhere violence, depravity, cruelty, corruption, evil, sound vaguely familiar. In Genesis chapter six, verse five and six, it says when God saw the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and that the trend and direction notice that phrase, the trend and direction of men's lives were only toward evil. He God was sorry that he had made them, and it broke his heart. God had a broken heart. The world was broken by all kinds of sin and all kinds of evil, and that broke God's heart. When God made it, he said, it's good, It's all good. But it wasn't all good anymore. Does this sound familiar? By the way, what do you think is the trend today? What's the trend and direction of culture today? Is it toward good? Is it towards civility or incivility? Is it toward rudeness? Or is it toward love? Is it toward people being more violent or being more peaceful?
Speaker 2: We're in the same direction, you know. Jesus said this.
Speaker 1: Jesus said in Luke seventeen, verse twenty six, when the Son of Man comes again, Jesus is coming back someday, he said, it will be like it was when Noah lived. In other words, the same things that were going on in Noah's day, violence, corruption, evil, depravity, cruelty, people being cruel to each other. He said, you can expect that again. We're seeing that today. These are distractions in our culture. But here's the good news. And all of the darkness that was going across the earth at that time, God found one bright spot. And in Genesis sixth, verse eight, I love this. In the message it says this, but Noah was different. Noah was different. God liked what he saw in Noah while the entire world, all of culture, was headed in one direction. Two words saved the world. But Noah, I want you to be that kind of person in today's world. I want you to be a But Noah, that you turn the other direction you're going. But Susan, but Mary, but John, but Bill. But Noah was going in a different direction. He's the only guy in the world. He's counterculture.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Noah is not worried about fitting in. He's not worried about gaining the approval of other people. He doesn't worry about keeping up with the latest trends. Why, because the trends and direction of the world were going in the wrong direction. Friends, it's not important to be on the right side of a trend. It's not important to be on the right side of history. It's just important to be on the right side. History is often wrong. Trends are often wrong. And if God is going to use you, if you're going to be all that God intends for you to be as a man or as a woman, you must be willing to be different. Noah was willing to be different in order to fulfill his destiny. He marched to a different drummer. Now I want you to write this down. Okay, write it down. I can only make a difference by being different. It's pretty simple thought, but it's also profound. I can only make a difference by being different. I can only make a difference by being different. You want to make a difference in this world. You want to make a difference in your family. You want to make a difference in your community, your school, your business. I can only make it if it's by being different. If I try to be like everybody else, I'm never going to make a difference. You're never going to make a difference unless you're willing to be like Noah. Where you ignore cultural distractions. Great people never never, never follow the crowd. They take the road less traveled. The Living Bible says Noah was a pleasure to the Lord. I want God to be able to say that about you. I want other people to be able to say that about you, that you were a pleasure to the Lord that God looks down at Noah says, that guy makes me smile. Can God say that about you? Are you going the way of the crowd? You go in the way of culture, you go on the way of society. Genesis, Chapter seven, Verse one. God told Noah, out of everyone living in this generation, you are the only righteous person on earth. That's why we're talking about in thousands of years later. Could God say that about you? Out of everybody living today, you're the only righteous person on earth?
Speaker 2: Now, how does that happen?
Speaker 1: Well, living with integrity requires the courage to be different. And if I'm going to fulfill my destiny in life, you're going to fulfill your destiny in life, you must be willing to walk a different direction than everybody else around you. All right, here's the second choice that Noah had to make. I must listen to God, not the voices of doubt. I must listen to God, not the voices of doubt. Can you imagine all the doubts that Noah had when God comes and says, I'm going to destroy the world to start over. I'm gonna start over with your family. You're going to build an arc. There's a thing called rain. It's gonna rain. There's going to be a flood, and you're gonna be able to do this.
Speaker 2: You go, really me, Moah. Now.
Speaker 1: Voices of doubt can come from many, many different places in your life. Some of you are listening to voices of doubt right now. God has given you a vision, given you a dream that's been in your heart since you were young, or maybe it's a new vision, a new dream about You've caught a vision of what God could do in your life. But maybe your spouse doesn't believe it, or maybe your parents don't believe it, or maybe your girlfriend or your boyfriend, or somebody at work or even your best friend. Voices of doubt can come from a lot of different places. They can come from critics, you expect that, they can come from competition. Who do you think you are? Why would you even try to do that? Why would you even try to develop that product, that business? Whatever it can come from Satan. The Bible called Satan the accuser of Christians, the accuser of the brothers, and he's always saying, you can't do this year, no good, You'll never amount to anything. When you hear that, that's not God talking to you, that's Satan. Satan accuses God comforts. The Bible says there's no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, but visions of doubt cann actually come from your friends and their friends who say, you know, we grew up with you. Who do you think you are? Or they can even come from your family. Imagine all the dreambusters in Noah's life. I mean, he's he's building this giant arc out at his front yard, and his neighbors are going, hey, mister Noah, what are you doing? I'm building an arc? What's that for? Because it's got a flood. What's the flood. It's when you get a lot of rain. What's rain, Well, it's water comes down from heaven. They've never seen it. They go, do do, do do do do This guy's crackpot. He's he's lost it. I'm sure he had to live with year after year after year after year of ridicule from his neighbors. He's a nut, he's a crackpot, he's a kook. This guy thanks God talk to him. Yeah right, he thinks God talks to him. And he's building the Queen Mary in his front yard. Where is the Homeowner's Association when you need him? Where are those people that you can't build that ship.
Speaker 2: In your front yard?
Speaker 1: I mean imagine even the pressure from his own family. I mean his teenage boys going, Dad, come on the ship on the front lawn.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I can't bring my girlfriend, I can't bring my friends over, Dad. Why can't you get a normal job. You're building on this thing for decade after decade after Deactorady. This doomsday talk is all over town, Dad. Our family is in the National Enquirer. You know, noah family building arc. The world is going to end. If you were Noah, would you be willing to endure the voices of doubt like that? Year after year after year, no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain, for decade after decade after after, the arcs getting bigger and bigger and bigger. God's gonna bring all the animals.
Speaker 2: Where are they?
Speaker 1: I don't see him? It took an awful lot of faith. Now let me just apply this to your life. Dream Busters will try to stop your dream. Okay, they will.
Speaker 2: Try to stop you.
Speaker 1: And critics and cynics are going to say to you, who do you think you are to try to live for Jesus Christ to do something great for God?
Speaker 2: Who do you think you are to.
Speaker 1: Have a mission from God, a plan, a purpose, a great vision from God? Friends and family may do this. Joseph's families tried to kill his dream. Remember when we looked at that he had that dream and they all tried to kill him. Jesus family tried to stop him from fulfilling God's purpose. You go all through Bible, person after person. Family members often tried to stop another family member from doing what God had called them to do. But you know what, the biggest voices of doubt can actually come from inside you. And the second most important words you say in life are to yourself. The first important words that you say are to God. But the second most important words that you say in life are the words that you say to yourself. And you talk to yourself constantly, and you're saying to yourself things like I'm no good who do I think I am. This won't work. You're talking yourself down, you're giving yourself seeds of doubt all of the time. Or you're listening to the word of God and you're telling yourself what God says about you, and you're saying things like I can do all things through Who strengthens me.
Speaker 2: My confidence isn't in myself.
Speaker 1: My confidence is in Christ, who gives me the strength to do. If God has called me to do something, He's going to give me the strength to do it. God never calls you to do something that he doesn't give you the energy and the power and the equipment and the friends and the contacts to actually get done. So let me ask you, how do you talk to yourself? You talking to yourself with doubt, voices of doubt all the time. Some of you, if you talk to your friends the way you talk to you, that wouldn't be your friends. You need to talk to yourself the way you talk to your friends. You know, I need to say something else here. You can't be trusted to always tell yourself the truth. You've heard me say this many times. You lie to yourself more than you lie to anybody else. The Bible says, the heart is deceitful, and we tell ourselves things are better than they really are.
Speaker 2: When they aren't. And sometimes we tell ourselves things.
Speaker 1: Are worse than they really are, and we don't always get it right. I'm giving you permission to not believe what you tell yourself, because not everything you tell yourself is the truth. We have motivated reasoning, we have insufficient evidence, we have messed up data, and all kinds of things. Not everything you're thinking is the truth. Just well, I think it, it must be true. I feel it.
Speaker 2: It must be true.
Speaker 1: No feelings lie, and even ideas that you come up with lie. You have to listen to God if you're going to fulfill God's mission for your life. Now, what is the antidote to fear and doubt in your life?
Speaker 2: Well, in a word, it's it's faith. It's faith.
Speaker 1: Hebrews eleven, verse seven. Chapter eleven, verse seven says this, it was by faith that Noah heard God's warning about the things he could not yet see.
Speaker 2: Now look at that verse.
Speaker 1: It was by faith that Noah heard the warning about things he could not see. He couldn't see the flood, he couldn't see the animals coming. He couldn't see what the arc was going to look like with his belt. These are all not visible. But he hears God, and he trusted what he heard God because he could not see it at the time. Now, let's just apply this to your life. You can't always see God's destiny for you either. You can't see the end of the game. You can't see the goal. You can't see where you're going to end up. You don't know where you're going to be in ten years, or twenty years or thirty years, much less next week. You have to trust your future to God. That's faith. In fact, the Bible says this in Hebrews eleven, verse one. Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Noah was a man of faith, and the faith was the antidote to his fear, and the faith was the antidote to his voices of doubt. Paul dealt with this and second Corinthians four eighteen. He says, we don't look at the troubles, which we can see right now. That's anybody to see the troubles we're in. Instead, we look forward, We look past the troubles to what we have not yet seen. Okay, that's perspective. Why for the troubles that we see now will soon be over. They're not gonna last, But the unseen joys will come to last forever. They're gonna last forever. Now, some of you, you may be depressed, you may be even despairing of your life right now. Never make a major decision when you're depressed, and never make a permanent decision when you're in a temporary mood, because feelings don't last, they don't come to stay, they come to pass, and they're not gonna last. So whether you right now are blessed or whether you you are stressed right now or in your future, whether you're blessed in your future or whether you are stressed in your future, is going to be determined by one thing, what you choose to focus on. Will you listen to the voices of doubt or you will listen to the voice of God. Again, Remember, it says Noah chose to be different from everybody else around him by listening to God instead of listening to the voices or in culture Hebrews eleven, verse seven. The second part of the verse says this Noah's belief in God get this underline. It was in direct contrast. Noah's belief in God was in direct contrast to the disbelief of the rest of the world. Nobody else believed. This is counter culture living. I want to challenge you to become a counterculture revolutionary. How by trusting God instead of trusting culture. By listening to God instead of listening to society, By doing what God tells you to do and listening to what God says. Is that of the doubts in your head or the doubts of people all around you who are giving the words a doubt? Now, of course that takes courage. You go, I don't have that kind of courage. How did Noah have that kind of courage to keep on going after what God had told him to follow his dream, to go after his purpose. How do you get that kind of courage? There's only one way. You got to stay close to God. You have to stay close to God. The Bible tells us that Noah heard God speak. Remember that verse we just looked at Noah heard God speak? So well, I don't ever hear God speak. How do you hear God?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Write this down? You hear God by getting near to God. You hear God by getting near to God. You can't hear God when you're far away. You got to get near to God. I mean, spend time with God every day, reading the Bible, being quiet, listening, being quiet, and just listening to God listen, reading His word and listening, talking to God in prayer, and being silent. Genesis six, verse nine. The third part of the verse is this, Noah walked with God. That means he was near to God. He walked with God. Now that word walking, I like that, are you walking with God?
Speaker 2: So well? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well what is walking imply? When you walk with someone, it implies two or three things. Let me let me let me first say. The New Living translation says, Noah enjoyed a close relationship with God. That's what it means to walk with God, to enjoy a close relationship with God. Today's English version says, Noah lived in fellowship with God. So what does that mean to live in fellowship, to have a close relationship, to walk with God.
Speaker 2: Well, just think about this.
Speaker 1: Anytime you're walking with anybody, it implies three things. First, it implies affiliation. In other words, you're not ashamed to be with them. You're not ashamed to be seen with them. How about if we were walking through you know, Irvine Spectrum shopping center and my wife Kay decides she doesn't want to be seen with me, so she walks ahead of me. Well, that's not walking together if I walked ahead of her. Affiliation means you're not ashamed to be seen with the person you're walking with. Are you ashamed to be seen with God? Are you ashamed to be known as a follower of Jesus? Are you the affiliation of walking with God means you're not worried about telling people you're a believer. That's what implies to walk with God. I tell people I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. It applies affiliation. Second implies agreement. By poll tells us an amous chapter three, verse three that two cannot walk together unless they're agreed. In other words, you can't walk that way and me walk that way, and let us walk together. If we're going to walk together, we have to be in agreement that we're headed in the same direction. So there's affiliation and there's agreement. And then the third thing walking implies is alignment. In other words, we're headed at the same pace. In other words, you can't walk faster than me, and I can't walk slower than you. We're not only in the same direction, we're at the same pace. That's what it means to walk with God. You're not ashamed of him. You're going in the same direction, and you're going in the same pace. How do you know if you're walking on God those same three things. Oh, by the way, let me give you a fourth way. You know, if you're walking on God, you'll be out of step with the world. You'll be out of step with the world. You can't walk in step with God and being step with the world the same time. So great on the world. Now the result, this is really important. I want us to get this. What is the result of walking with God? Like Noah did? When you walk with God, when you're near to God, you fear nothing.
Speaker 2: Noah wasn't afraid. He wasn't afraid of.
Speaker 1: Disapproval, He wasn't afraid of people's comments, he wasn't afraid of being rejected, He wasn't afraid of criticism. You lose your fear when God is near. The fear goes out when you're near to God. In Genesis chapter six, Verse seventeen to eighteen. God says this, Noah, I'm going to send a flood that will destroy everything that breathes, and nothing's going to be left alive. But I solemnly promise. This is God's promise. This is what Noah put his faith in. I solemnly promised that you and your wife, and your sons and your daughters in law will be kept safe in the boat. Noah is not afraid of a worldwide flood, because when God is near, you lose your fear. What are you afraid of? What's been putting you in knots? What's been scaring you to death? What's caused you to be anxious, what's caused you to be sleepless at night? What just tightens your stomach into a knot? Many of you have been living in fear. That has got to end. Now You've got to stop listening to the voices of doubt and anxiety and fear and start listening to the voice of God by walking with God, by getting near to God, and when he's near, you lose your fear. Now there's a third choice that Noah made, and you're going to have to make this choice too. If you're going to have the comeback from your setbacks. This third choice is the only way you're going to make it to the finish line that you're going to fulfill the vision, the dream, the purpose that God created you for. Here, it is just like Noah, I must do exactly. I must do exactly what God tells me to do. Now, Noah doesn't just hear God's word. He obeys it, he obeys it. He does exactly whatever God tells him to do.
Speaker 2: He obeys God's words.
Speaker 1: And this is the third key to fulfilling your mission in life. Hebrews eleven, verse seven. Second part of the verse says is Noah obeyed God, and he built a large boat to save his family. That's a new century version. So what I'm saying here is that I must not only do what God tells me to do. I must do it the exact way that He tells me to do it, and I've got to do it at the exact time that he wants me to do it. I mean methodology, I've got to do it what he wants me to do, when he wants me to do it, how he wants me to do it. I do it exactly the way he wants. Partial obedience is disobedience. This is the third key to Noah's life. In Genesis chapter six, verse fourteen to twenty two, God tells Noah this, Noah, I want you to build a boat from cypress wood and seal it with tar inside and out. He's given him very specific details, and he said, he tells you the wood and how he's put tar on the inside out. He said, then build decks and stalls throughout its interior. And he said, I want you to make this boat four hundred and fifty feet long. I want you to make it seventy five feet wide. I want you to make it forty five feet high. He tells the exact specifications. He says, at the top, I want you to leave an eighteen inch opening airspace all the way around the boat, just below the roof.
Speaker 2: That way hot air can get out and cool air can get in. He says.
Speaker 1: Then put three decks inside the boat and put one door on the side. And then he says, I want you to include a male and female pair of every kind of animal that I bring to your boat to keep alive during the world wide flood. And remember taking enough food for your family and for all your animals now, notice here's the important line. Then Noah did everything exactly as God commanded him. This is why we're talking about Noah today. This is why you're alive. If Noah had not done everything exactly as God had commanded him, you wouldn't be listening right now, because the human race wouldn't be here.
Speaker 2: So thank you, mister.
Speaker 1: Noah for doing everything exactly as God commanded. If he had not done everything exactly as God commanded, partial obedience, as I said, is disobedience, and we wouldn't be here now.
Speaker 2: In your own life.
Speaker 1: At whatever stage of journey in your life here and you may be at the very beginning, you may be near toward the end, or you may in the middle. But at any stage of your life, you're gonna be tempted to cut corners. You're gonna be tempted to take shortcuts. You're gonna be tempted to do the easy thing, to take the easy way out, to skimp a little here, to skip a step, to fudge a little. And God will say, I want you to do these things, and you know, well, I'll do it, but I just want to do it my way. And in your mind you're gonna think that you know better than God. You're going to go, Lord, I think I could reach my goal faster my way than your way. And that's fatal. That is a tempting shortcut. That's the third thing that will cause you to miss your purpose and God's plan in life. Lord, I think I could reach my goal faster my way than your way.
Speaker 2: Have you been trying to.
Speaker 1: Do that, trying to accomplish what you want to accomplish in life your.
Speaker 2: Way rather than God's way?
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine Noah saying to God, excuse me, Lord, let's have a little talk here. Are all these animals really necessary? Do we really need all of them on board? Why don't we forget some of these animals? I mean, Greenpeace will never know why they went extinct.
Speaker 2: They're never gonna know, So, you know.
Speaker 1: By the way, I would have been just happy if he had left mosquitoes off the arc. In Genesis chapter seven, verses one to five, we find the exact same phrase a second time, where it says Moses did exactly what God told him to do. God says this about him twice in the Bible, that he just didn't do what God.
Speaker 2: Told him to do. He did it.
Speaker 1: Exactly as God told him to do. Genesis seven, verse one to five. Finally, the day came when the Lord said to Noah, now get into the boat with all your family, and now take a long notice pair of each of the animals that I've approved for eating. They had to have something to eat while they're on board. Take seven pairs of each of the animal I've proved for eating and sacrifice, along with one pair of each of all the other animals. And he says, also, I want you to take seven pair, not just one pair, seven pair male and female birds, pairs of every kind of bird. And again Noah did exactly as the Lord had commanded him. So twice we're told that he's not skimping, he's not skipping steps, he's not taking shortcuts. You cannot take tempting shortcuts and reach the goal God has for your life. And he said, what are you talking about, rick at tempting shortcut? Well, it could be a moral shortcut. God wants me to be happy, so I'm gonna divorce this person and marry that person. That's a moral shortcut. It can be an ethical shortcut. Well, everybody else cheats at work, so.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna cheat it.
Speaker 1: It could be a financial shortcut, and you know you're not really honest here or there.
Speaker 2: You're not tithing.
Speaker 1: You think I'm gonna use God's money, the money that God says give back to him and to honor him. I'm gonna keep it myself. That's shortcut, and you're gonna lose on that one.
Speaker 2: You need to be tithing.
Speaker 1: Maybe a relational shortcut, and you're attempted to do something faster than the right way to do it. And he said, well, you know you're gonna go to bed with him before you get married. You know, Lord, I think we could get to my goal quicker than my way. Quicker my way. Shortcuts friends are usually short sighted, and they often point you in the wrong direction. Genesis chapter six, verse nine, it says Noah consistently followed God's will, That's why God blessed him. Would you like God's blessing on your life? Then you need to be like Noah can consistently follow God's will. Not well, I'll pick and shoes what I'm going to do. I'm going to do it. In everything, I will obey God's will. Genesis sixth verse nine that second part of the verse, Noah always tried to conduct his affairs according to God's will. What a great verse you might want to write that one out. God, I want to conduct my affairs according to your will. Now, let's just put you in Noah's shoes right now. What if God gave to you one day said I want you to build a giant ship, a battleship, an arc. Don't you think you might have some questions and you might want to take some shortcuts. I mean, I can think of.
Speaker 2: A lot of questions that Noah might ask.
Speaker 1: First, if God came means and it had never rained on Earth, I my first question would be, what's flood? What's flood? He said, You're gonna flood the world. Well, I don't know what a flood is. We know that we know that Earth had some kind of tropical climate because the fossils show that, and that their atmosphere changed, and now we have you know, animals and human beings live shorter lives. Second, I would ask, so, okay, Lord, how do you build an arc? There's no home depot for the lumber. I'm going to go after literally cut it all down, find find you know, forest, and cut it all down. And then okay, how am I going to get this boat to the water? Because Noah lives about one hundred miles or hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean. Okay, so how am I going to get the boat to water? And then God, how are you going to turn all this around and round up all the animals? Well, if God created the world, he can do anything. A lot of people think that this is such a such an unbelievable story.
Speaker 2: Well, God could do anything.
Speaker 1: If God created a universe, he can bring all the animals together, He can do whatever he wants to do. But Noah doesn't argue. Noah doesn't complain. He does everything exactly as God says, and he says, whatever you say, Lord. His faith was incredible because the request was incredible. Again, Noah did everything exactly as God commanded him. If you will make this the goal of your life. I want to do everything God asked me to do, exactly as God asked me to do. God blesses that kind of person. God blesses people who follow directions even when it doesn't make sense. Question what has God asked you to do? And it doesn't make sense? Forgive somebody take a different job, start tithing, you know, go share your faith with somebody that you're scared to death.
Speaker 2: To share your faith with faith.
Speaker 1: Is obeying God, even when I don't understand why. Now there's a fourth choice that Noah took. Noah made, and you're going to have to make this choice too, if you're going to fulfill the life that God intended for you to have. Number four, I must never give up on the dream that God gives me. I must never give up on the dream God gives me. If anybody had the right to be discouraged because it took so long, the project was taken so long, it was Noah, As I said, it took at least eighty years to build the arc. The Bible tells us that the door to the arc closed. He got in there and closed the door exactly one hundred and twenty years after God.
Speaker 2: Told him to build it.
Speaker 1: Would you be able to maintain enthusiasm for a project that took you one hundred and twenty years and nobody else in the world believed in, and everybody else criticized and made fun of. Could you handle that kind of opposition? You see the reason why most people don't succeed in life short term thinking they give up too soon.
Speaker 2: You can't. They don't sustain it over the long haul.
Speaker 1: And often, as I said a couple weeks ago, it's in the middle of your life that you want to give up, and it determines whether you're going to end successfully or not.
Speaker 2: Do not give up.
Speaker 1: See culture says live only for today. Bible says, think about eternity, think about your future. I want you to write this down. Everything takes longer than I think. All right, everything takes longer than I think. I'm sure Noah faced loneliness and fatigue in how long it was taking to reach his goal. And yet he's a model of patience and persistence and determination. Why because of his faith in God Hebrews eleven seven. Noah trusted God. Do you do that when things don't look like they're going to happen, when you're in the middle of the journey, when you can't see either end. When he heard about God's warning about the future, Noah believed him even though there us no sign of a flood. What is it in your life that you see no sign out that God has told you and promised you it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Are you going to give up? Are you going to keep trusting?
Speaker 1: For forty two thousand and one days? Noah had one goal, fulfill my destiny, and I bet on many of those forty two thousand and one days. Noah didn't feel like going to work, and he comes home every night and missus. Noah says, well, how is work, honey, same place, same thing.
Speaker 2: Nobody else is noticing.
Speaker 1: Everybody else ignores him, or if they do notice, they criticize it.
Speaker 2: But he never gave up. Now, I don't know who I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking to you right now, but I know God wants me to say this to you. You may feel like giving up, don't don't. God is in control and he is going to write the final chapter of your life. This is not the end of your story. And maybe the end of a chapter, but it's not the end of your story. And Galatians six nine says, let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will we will reap a harvest, a blessing if we don't get discouraged and give up. But did you know that the arc is actually a symbol of salvation in Christ, Because just like the arc in the Ark. Noah and his family was saved from destruction in Christ. We are saved from destruction by being in Christ. No is saved by being in the Ark. The ark for you is Jesus Christ. How is Noah saved same way as everybody else?
Speaker 2: By grace? Do faith?
Speaker 1: Did you know that the first mention of grace in the Bible is Noah's story. Hebrews eleven, verse seven says, by faith, Noah showed the world that the world was wrong. Noah showed that the world was wrong, and he became one of those who was made right with God through faith, faith in God's grace and Genesis six, verse eight says this King James version, Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. That's the first mention of grace in the Bible. Chapter six of the Bible, grace is mentioned. People were saved in the Old Testament the same way we are in the New Testament by grace through faith. Have you found and accepted that grace. It's the only way you're going to be saved. To you, it's the only way you're going to get to Heaven. Friend, this is the only way you will be saved, just like Noah by grace through faith. You must put your faith in God's grace. You don't earn it, you don't deserve it. You just accept that gift of God's love and forgiveness, and you needed to do it.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: God is looking for people to use. Would you let him use you? Would you let him fulfill his destiny finny that he asked for you. If you want to fulfill your destiny life, you've got to do what Noah did. You've got to make the choices that Noah made. Let's bow our heads. Let me pray for you. You know, Father, I know that in our broken culture today, you're looking for men and women who will choose rightly like Noah did, and will choose to trust you. We'll choose to obey you. We'll choose to do exactly what you tell them to do. We'll choose to ignore the critics and to go the opposite of the way culture is going. May our family, saddle back family, be filled.
Speaker 2: With people like that. Now, I want to invite you to pray.
Speaker 1: So whether you're listening to me in sitting in a chair in a service, or on the internet, or on the radio, or wherever I want you to just say these words in your heart.
Speaker 2: Say Dear God, I say.
Speaker 1: Dear God, I want to be the kind of person like Noah who brings a smile to your face. You said that Noah brought you pleasure. I want my life to bring you pleasure. And I want my faith to be strong to the finish, to make it to the end. I want to fulfill the destiny that you have for my life. Dear God, Please forgive me for all the times I've worried about what other people think, and I've listened to the voices of doubt rather than the voice of God. Give me the courage to be different so that I can fulfill your destiny for my life.
Speaker 2: I want to get near to you so.
Speaker 1: I can hear you and no longer fear you or anybody else. And the days ahead, I want to do exactly what you tell me to do with my life, even when it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: God, I want to trust you and Lord, when I'm tired and I'm discouraged, help me to be like Noah and never never give up, but to keep your dream for my life in my focus. Father, I want to thank you for these who've prayed this prayer and I ask that you fill them with confidence and fill them with courage. And may this next week the days ahead be filled with new vitality, new energy, new enthusiasm as we refocus on your plan rather than the pressures around us in society. And I pray this blessing on all who are listening, in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 2: Amen.