Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Can always let us know what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, do leave us leave us that is a big beever.
Speaker 2: Yes, leave us a talk back on the iHeart app. When you're listening on the app, you can just send us a hit that little button and send us a message and tell us what you learned this week. If you're also listening or using one of those Alexa enabled devices, you could just say, hey, send KFI a message and then she'll record you and then she'll send it to us.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked about the Menendez brothers because the hearing yesterday has been put off, or the resentencing if that does indeed happen, has been put off until May ninth, because, as we talked about on our show, before the decision had come down, the DA's office got their hands on this Parole Board Risk Assessment report. This was the Parole Board at the behest of Governor Gavin Newsom taking a look at the brothers and deciding what kind of risk they would pose if they were on the outside. Now, everybody, including all their little fans who think that they are the victims here, just thought, why would they be a risk? What possible risk could they pose to society? Well, there's got to be something in that report if the DA's office wants the judge to hear it. And that's in fact why they're going to postpone this decision is because the judge will get his hands on that report and read it. Geregis fought tooth and nail so that the judge wouldn't see it. So you've got to believe there's something in that risk assessment that's gonna not be great for the Menendez brothers.
Speaker 2: Geggis also claims that he had not been provided a copy. But I think your point is well taken that there's a reason why they didn't want this in the judge's hands. There was a reason why that Nathan Hockman wanted the judge to take time to take a look at.
Speaker 1: It, and the prosecutor yesterday to Rebut Gerregiz said, why wouldn't you want.
Speaker 3: The judge to have all the facts.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't you want the judge to see everything that he's a that's.
Speaker 2: Available It's a great question. It is a great question. This issue though, and I think we saw a little bit of it outside the courthouse yesterday. The people that want to be in the courtroom to watch these types of things. If you've ever worked a courtroom, and I don't mean this as a lawyer or an officer of the court or anything like that, but if you've been in a courtroom as a matter of your job, going there for entertainment purposes just does not feel the same. There's one thing to say, if you, for example, were around in nineteen eighty nine, in nineteen ninety if you witnessed this while it was happening, there's no there's no shiny part of this for me knowing this case and knowing when it was going on, how awful it was. This is not something. These are not guys that you would want to champion. And there is something that's lost in time where if you lived through this, you saw what was going on. Let me use the example of the OJ Simpson stuff as well, because in nineteen ninety four, if you're stuck in watching the Bronco chase, the arrest, the trial in ninety five, like all of this stuff that's not a happy, fun time, and reliving it by revisiting it a couple decades later is not a fun thing.
Speaker 1: I want to continue with this because I was not paying attention in nineteen eighty nine when this happened. I wasn't paying attention during the trials. I was a kid myself. I think it's a I think it's a laziness thing. I think it's people take whatever served up to them on Netflix and they run with it. But anyway, we'll get it into more of the differences when we come back.
Speaker 2: M Gary and I know lots of people that supersonic.
Speaker 3: I hate you, man, What did you do to him? What did you do?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: He calls in like every day.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Something didn't hold water to me, Something didn't add up to me. And then today they said that he got busted for cocaine, and I thought, Aha, Now, liquor and cocaine, that'll get you on a chair lift.
Speaker 3: Just the liquor, man, I don't have that.
Speaker 1: Kind of initiative. But you give me a little cocaine with my liquor and boom, I'm up for anything initiative. Yeah, well, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, Tony from Lake Forest.
Speaker 5: My grandfather said, never up, never in, especially playing on the golf course, and he shot three holes in one.
Speaker 2: Okay, good times, good friend.
Speaker 6: I don't get it, Gary Jack in Texas. I grew up in South Florida before you all were born, and the Mighty Dolphins had a big tank in the end zone of the old Orange Bowl that had a dolphin in it, and whenever the dolphin team would score, they would have the dolphin jump up and do flips. And that was a very popular thing in South Florida, and they loved the dolphins.
Speaker 3: Yeah bye.
Speaker 1: In Jacksonville, they've got some tanks. They've also got swimming pools and stuff in that stadium.
Speaker 3: Okay, and golf.
Speaker 1: Never up, never in is a putting strategy where players aim to hit putts t roll pass the hole rather than stopping short, aiming for a more aggressive approach to ensure the ball doesn't get trapped.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The idea is that it's better to leave a putt long than short. A long putt can be easily corrected with a second putt, while a short putt can lead to a three putt. I disagree, because if I overshoot the hole, it's rarely just one putt to get it in there.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: But I think they mean, if you're trying to judge the distance, you aim for a spot that's maybe a foot past where the hole actually is, not twenty feet like you do, just just past the hole.
Speaker 1: So never up means up before the hole, and never in means you're aiming in the hole.
Speaker 3: You're aiming just a little past the hole.
Speaker 2: I like that?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, sounds about it.
Speaker 1: We also came up with our own little saying, well, Gary did We were looking at some news coverage of an event and there was a woman and she had a shell type neckline of her dress and you could see her bikini tan line as well, and she also had a nice cross, nice cross with Jesus right there on that cross.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Jesus.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was a crucis, except that would be weird, right, I guess.
Speaker 3: I don't know. If you're into that, it's cool too.
Speaker 1: But she had a cross on and I said, that's a little bit of cleavage. That's a little bit too much cleavage. And you said, that's not too much cleavage. And I said, I think about an inch of cleavage is good. I feel like she's got an inch and a half. That might be too much cleavage. And you said, no, as long as the cleavage isn't bigger than the cross.
Speaker 3: And I thought, what a brilliant piece of advice.
Speaker 1: That's make sure, ladies, when you head out for Easter weekend, that you're cleavage, that you're showing not bigger than the cross that you're wearing.
Speaker 3: You got to do a real, a real look. Seat in an amasement.
Speaker 2: Measure it if you want to, right, I mean, if it's that close, you can measure it.
Speaker 1: I mean think about, you know, Elvira, and how big her cross was and how cleavage she showed still adhered to the rule.
Speaker 2: Elvira, Yeah, the mistress of that oh you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean there are women.
Speaker 1: That wear big ass crosses and they show a lot of cleavage but still adhere to the rule within the rules.
Speaker 3: You wear a bigger cross, you get more cleavage.
Speaker 2: We have a chance for you to win a thousand dollars or so you pick it up. Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just this keyword on our website Grand. That's Grand g R A n D editor now at KFI AM six forty dot com. Slash Cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the winning attorneys at Sweet James.
Speaker 6: One eight hundred nine million.
Speaker 4: That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 2: Again, the keyword is grand goes on the website. We'll do it again an hour from now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I did bring up Parker Center this week. Alvira's not that much of a stretch living in the late eighties again in eighty nine.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Part of the the changing toneging issues surrounding the Menendez case is this breed young breed of people. I would argue that most of them are women that support these guys. Now, there is a whole TikTok Instagram account called Menendez Legacy, and it's run by four people who wish to remain anonymous for multiple reasons. But they are all in their twenties, so they didn't get to see this either, did I.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. I don't think that's an excuse.
Speaker 1: I wasn't paying attention to the Menendez case in real time. I only was brought in the loop when the first seventeen documentaries were made of this whole thing.
Speaker 2: And you make a good point, though, there's a laziness when it comes to stories like this. People want to believe what they want to believe, Yeah, and they're going to pick and choose the facts of a case. I hope that that's not the way I do things, and I make an attempt to try to find different aspects of stories so that I have a better picture of what I know and what I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's also a change in parenting where the you know, these parents were going to cut them off and the whole bit, and how that's awful, and you know that that's the way things were done in the late eighties. You know, you became eighteen, get out of the house, get a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there weren't questions about how long you were going to stay in the house, right, it was time to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you don't get to spend the family money anymore. You want you want something great, go get a job. Now that's cruel. Now, that's like, uh, you know, child endangerment.
Speaker 2: There is a an aspect of this the people that are behind this, they are leaning into the sexual assault allegations. One of the account man says that she was a survivor of sexual assault and says, I know how it feels to have that power taken away from you.
Speaker 3: But again, that's awesome, but that's not what happened here.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's also not an that's not a it's not a defense for taking a shotgun and killing your parents.
Speaker 1: No, and then the question why, Okay, if the father, which is very very minuscule chance that a father molests his sons one and then both, that's another minuscule chance, and then you're killing the mom too, And then their whole self defense thing falls apart when you look at the pre meditation and the oh mom's not dead yet, let me go to the trunk of the car, get more bullets, come back, reload and finish her off. None of that is speaking to self defense. But that's not And I understand people have trauma and if they see a little bit of their trauma and someone else and they want to fight for that person, I get it.
Speaker 3: That's not what this is.
Speaker 1: These were two spoiled brats, probably dealing with the narcissism that was passed on by their father.
Speaker 3: Guy wasn't the best guy in the world.
Speaker 1: But they shot and killed them because they weren't getting what they wanted financially from their parents.
Speaker 3: And that's all there is to it.
Speaker 1: And look no further than the shopping spree they went on in the days the hours after their parents were shot and killed. Oh and psh, whatever the fact that they lied from the from I mean, every part of this points to them premeditatively shooting and killing their parents for financial gain. Every single part of this. The lying after the fact saying it was a mob hit. I mean, they've been lying about this before the bodies were even bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's still it's not to say that they may not have been rehabilitated or changed their ways while they were in prison. That'll do a lot of crazy things to people. But is it enough to justify them getting out. We talked earlier, we talked yesterday actually about the unfavorability ratings that Karen Bass, the mayor of La saw spike after the fires. We're going to talk with the head of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, longtime LA City councilmen, longtime La County Board of Supervisors member Zevyerslavsky.
Speaker 4: When we come back, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: I always enjoyed covering zev yar Slavsky because he always seemed to me to be a no BS guy. Served on the La City Council, La County Board of Supervisors as well. Now is at UCLA's Luskin School of Public Affairs and was quoted this week because Karen Bass's ratings did what we thought her ratings would do when she kind of skirted responsibility and any accountability post fires. As we've reported to you, we sat here, we got the ridiculously awful fire weather forecast that Monday, and we knew that it was going to be a really bad week for LA when you saw what those those wins were doing as they came down from the mountains, slamming into the populated areas, and it was just a recipe for disaster. And she went ahead with her planned trip, her planned international trip, and then came back and kind of didn't known it and had to play ketchup. So those ratings that have come out showed just that that they had they show a very unfavorable opinion of the mayor.
Speaker 3: Post fires.
Speaker 2: Joining us now to talk about it, zev Yaroslavsky again, the supervisor, former supervisor, former city council member, runs the LA Initiative there at Luskin School of Public Affairs. Thanks for taking time for us today.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Let's discuss there was a comment that you made. We talked yesterday about the numbers, specifically that her unfavorability ratings had shot up by seventeen points, and you said, obviously that's the bad news, that she's taking the brunt of this, But you told the La Times the good news for her is this happened overnight, and by performing well in recovery, she could win back some of the people that she has lost. How listen, you've been in LA City and LA County politics for a few decades. How do you begin to do that in an environment like Los Angeles.
Speaker 7: Well, I think if she'll be judged by her performance going forward. The election is fourteen months away, the primary election June of next year, and if she has a successful recovery, if the recovery goes at the pace that she predicted, and that others would like or even faster. You know. I think the anger and the frustration and the fear that permeated the fire areas and beyond. By the way, that's what our surveys showed, that there's a trauma that went county wide that if she can turn that around and get the recovery going is I think she could turn it around. I wouldn't write her obituary yet. Fourteen months is an eternity, especially in this political environment. So I mean, she clearly had a rough beginning of twenty twenty five. I don't think anybody could argue with that. And I'm sure if she had it to do over again, she would do a number of things differently, so would I on a lot of things that I did. But you can recover by performing, you know, the best politics is doing your job well. And if she can do that over the next fourteen months, I think people are forgiving of resilient people who are resilient and can turn things around. Now it's going to be a steep mountain for her to climb because there's a lot. First of all, she's only responsible for the Palisades portion of it. The Altadena part is not in the city of La So you've got two fires, you know, fire disasters that were going on in January, and they both have to be addressed. So I'm not ready to write her obituary yet. But there's no question she paid a political price at the beginning. The mayors always do, no matter what the circumstances, when things go bad, the mayors are always the ones county countrywide who will take the brunt and you know, the rest of us kind of duck. And that's the price you pay for being the mayor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not willing to write her obituary yet either, just because she's got the staying power.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's been around for a long time.
Speaker 1: It was more than twenty years ago when she first came on the scene in the State Assembly. So she knows how to weather the storms, even if it's your own doing type of storm.
Speaker 3: Zev.
Speaker 1: You were instrumental with the nineteen eighty four Olympic Games, and you have been I believe, advising this time around as well. You've got some consternation between the Mayor's office and the La County Board of Supervisors.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk about it. Does that play a role as.
Speaker 1: The Olympics comes to town, and also with the fires and the permitting process. I know that we are a no build type Olympics, But can you stick around and answer some of those questions?
Speaker 7: Yeah, briefly because I've got to do something else in about ten minutes, so I'd be happy to stick around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, wellt'tle just do it right now? Then?
Speaker 1: Olympics on the horizon, and you don't have the best relationship right now between city Hall and the Board of supervisors.
Speaker 3: Does that play a role?
Speaker 7: I don't think the Olympics is a county versus city issue that I think that's when the homelessness area where there's been a breach. But on the Olympics. Look, in nineteen eighty four, we passed a measure. In nineteen seventy eight, we passed a charter amendment that prohibited the city from using taxpayer money gone to write the Olympics. That measure does not apply to the twenty twenty eight Games, and in fact, the city council and the previous mayor signed a promise, a legally binding promise, that they would cover any cost overruns that the Olympics hole generate. Now, it shouldn't run a deficit because they don't have to build any major venues. They have to do some things, they have to build a track at the coliseum in assuming pool at SOFI, but you don't have to build a new stadium or stad and so my concern is what we don't know. There's not a whole lot of transparency. I'm not even sure the city knows or the mayor and the city council know exactly where the revenues and the expenditures are going to come from. And I think that at some point soon the taxpayers have a right to know what the fiscal situation is at the Olympics because they're on the hook for it. If you wanted to borrow money from a bank, the bank would say, yeah, we'd love to lend you money. How are you going to pay it back? And you'd have to tell them and if they're satisfied, they'd lend you the money. If they're not satisfied, they wouldn't. Well, the city has already made a commitment on this, and nobody else has not. The county, not Oklahoma City where the softball is going to be, not Long Beach where sailing is going to be. It's all in the city of Los Angeles taxpayers. And as I say, I don't think there's any reason why this Olympics should not make a profit, barring any COVID or major catastrophe, but they need to be a little more transparent about revenues and expenditures here.
Speaker 1: We haven't even dove into that mess.
Speaker 2: As soon as we as soon as we finished covering one story, we get another one out of out of the Olympics. That's right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a blessing that they don't have to build as much with the county strapped to the permitting process as it is with the fire.
Speaker 2: Well, zev R. Slovsky, we appreciate your time. We thanks for thank you for you know, serving on every every board of government over in the La County. It seems in the last several decades.
Speaker 7: It was a privilege.
Speaker 2: And do you still you still sport that mustache, don't you?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yeah, okay, I don't think i'll I'll ever take that. My grandfather a beautiful mustache.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful mustache for a beautiful man. Thank you for that. We appreciate what I mean, Grandpa was a beautiful man. You are to never mind I made it weird of Yourslavsky there get ahead of the list. The Luscian School over at u C l A and longtime city council member, a long time county.
Speaker 3: Is that a Mustang? I think that's a Ford Mustang?
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 2: White Ford Mustang that's being chased on the four or five South.
Speaker 1: They're in the shoulder, they're right and the shoulder. Oh, four or five South, they're pushing Washington. You're going to get into La X traffic West l A.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a mess.
Speaker 3: My goodness, we'll come back and tell you more.
Speaker 1: I could tell you where to get into a pursuit with the cops.
Speaker 2: Four or five South is not.
Speaker 3: Not be part of my training guide.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Got a Ford Mustang? I mean, how Unamerican is this guy?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: You've got a Ford Mustang? Sir, there's some getty up in your pickup or whatever. You know what I'm saying, And you're just gonna just gonna slow roll it, just gonna weak stream this pursuit.
Speaker 2: Okay. So the LAPD has been following what we believe is a domestic violence suspect through a bunch of different parts of West La, up and down the four h five, got onto the Marina Expressway right here.
Speaker 1: Minda now and Marina delay. Yeah, he's right next to the nursery. I used to go to that nursery. Way overpriced. Oh it's changed hands, it's a different nursery now I'm betting it's still overpriced.
Speaker 2: Oh you oh, I guess you could see the sign there, yea. So he pulled over in what was some pretty thick traffic, pulled over and is just sitting in the car. And again it's a late model White Ford.
Speaker 1: This is going to be a mess for traffic because there's a one way in and one way out of that area of Marina del Rey and it's already impacted. Then told the ninety one is that the night it's the ninety Excuse me, the ninety is completely shut down. Cars have nowhere to go because if you know it, there's there's no other streets side streets from the freeway to getting there at mindan, Now, you're just stuck there while this Unamerican guy sits in his Ford Mustang and doesn't answer.
Speaker 3: The police requests.
Speaker 1: So you got to get out of the car with your hand through red head and hit the pavement.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the helicopter shots from TV is actually looking through the windshield and the guy's pretty active. I don't know what he's doing in there, but he's been moving around quite a bit in that front seat. He's not just sitting there calmly. They have also not shut down minda now at that intersection which is just ahead of them, and I feel like that's going to happen any moment.
Speaker 3: Now would they shut that down?
Speaker 2: If they have to start shooting that guy, They're gonna not want a bunch of people in the background.
Speaker 1: It's pretty far away from where they're at though.
Speaker 3: I mean that's a good thirty yards.
Speaker 2: Bullets go far.
Speaker 1: They're not gonna miss. They're right there. They're not going to shoot the guy.
Speaker 2: Well, those are the old days, you mean Wednesday. Wednesday was the old days when they were shooting people at the end of a pursuit.
Speaker 3: Well then you shouldn't. You should do it right if they're.
Speaker 2: Going to do it different agency, I suppose, But again we're seeing what is the end of this pursuit.
Speaker 3: There's a guy. I love it. Some of the cars are going around this.
Speaker 2: They're like, f this.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to be held hostage by this standoff. So the car's driving around.
Speaker 1: The black and whites that have corded this guy off on the shoulder of the ninety.
Speaker 2: How's that happening? How are they not?
Speaker 1: They're flagging them through because there's there's at least twenty cars that are in between the freeway there and minda now that intersection and you gotta those are the cars they need to move out of there.
Speaker 2: Okay, the doors are open.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Oh, there he is saying something. He's yelling.
Speaker 3: It looks like an older individual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, just bald, just bald, just yelling, bald.
Speaker 3: Oh what's he got in his hand there?
Speaker 6: Huh?
Speaker 3: What's in that left hand?
Speaker 2: He's wearing a glove. That's just like he's wearing a batting glove.
Speaker 1: Is that a driving glove you wear? Do you wear a driving glove if you've got a Ford Mustang.
Speaker 2: Only on his left hand? Yeah?
Speaker 1: He's Oh, sir, you should not be reaching for anything.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh he's asking a lighter.
Speaker 3: Oh he wants to smoke a cigarette. I get it.
Speaker 1: I used to smoke if I was being taken into custody. I totally want a cigarette first. He's one hundred percent doing a lot of sign language, so I don't know if he wants a cigarette or maybe it's a joint. It could be a joint, I guess. But then you don't ask the cops like you can ask the cops for a lighter if you have a cigarette. You can't ask the cops for a lighter if you're smoking a joint.
Speaker 2: Right back out, out, back, out of the car.
Speaker 3: Oh, sir, he is on one, do you think so?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got way too much energy for ten fifty eight on a Friday morning.
Speaker 2: He is wearing a glove on his left hand, which doesn't make any sense. But it also looks like he might have had a phone.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if he was driving like he was on one though he was driving pretty slow speed. You one hundred miles now he's there's no lighters in a Ford Mustang anymore.
Speaker 3: I guess they don't put lighters in the cars anymore.
Speaker 2: That would be funny. If there is one, he just doesn't know how to use it. Yeah, I mean he might still be that.
Speaker 1: That was always such a fun function of a vehicle. Look, there's a cigarette lighter right here, so user friendly. Not anymore, no cigarette lighters and no am radio. What are we now, folks?
Speaker 3: Screwed?
Speaker 2: Well, we don't have as much lung cancer as we did and.
Speaker 3: You don't get to hear all this.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll keep an eye on whatever's going on with this guy. Did we ever get a location? Top says a lot On Haley Joel Osmond after his run jail jail in Mammoth.
Speaker 1: You can't yell at the cops about Nazis and stuff?
Speaker 3: Was that what he was doing?
Speaker 2: Or was it Nazis?
Speaker 3: Was it was it black people?
Speaker 2: What was it he was? I think he was pretty free with all of them.
Speaker 1: Ah, like a mel Gibson situation like that, got it.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye on this end of the chase here on the Marina Expressway right near mind Now, in the del Rey area, they have a guy who's been popping in and out of the driver's seat asking for a lighter for his cigarette.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're going to Marina and Delray, go through Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: And take a lighter with you, would you? I need some help.
Speaker 3: Rare to see someone smoke these days.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP