Speaker 1: We are kicking it back live in studio here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, after our quick foray to Las Vegas for the show yesterday for the Utah Men's Basketball Experience and the College Basketball Crown which only lasted one game.
Speaker 2: We'll switch gears now.
Speaker 1: We'll do a little soccer on a Tuesday afternoon with RSL taking on the Galaxy coming up on Saturday, two thirty pm Mountain Kick. That's a nice little afternoon start time. And the head coach of RSL, what's going on, dude? Are you drawing the short this short straw every week? Are they making you come on and talk to me? Because nobody else wants to discuss this stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Spence, But now that you say that, no, it's a part of the gig, man, it's great. Yeah, we'll talk and have some good discourse over some of the things that's going on. And I got some I got some good background to all the things that I'm sure.
Speaker 1: You want not all right, Well, that's good stuff because you know the background that RSL fans are wondering about. Are these players that apparently are on the way to help you out? And you know every time I have these conversations, it's different. I approach you differently if I'm talking to Kurt or Jason or Tony or you, because you're the coach and it's technically not your job, but you're the one that it feels to me is behind the eight ball because of the lack of talent in the attack. That's just my opinion. Where are we at, Pablo? What are these players going to be on the ground?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so again, Spence, I wish I had some better news for you as far as definitive answers. Uh, but but I don't. You know, we looked at another another player yesterday, and again these things. The crazy thing is, there's so many things that I've said this before that that have to align. And and so even when if we close a deal, it's still going to be another month away. And so like to your point about you know that that's not my remit. I got to constantly figure out different ways to do that, you know. And and so you know, so if you're if your sphere isn't isn't the sharpest right, and you're not able to score the goals that you need to win games, and then what I'm saying is we just got to get better on the defensive end. But it's a it's a catch twenty two, right, because if you do concede first, then the hope and the confidence of the group dwindles because they know that the tip of the spear isn't isn't the sharpest, right, And so it's it's constantly and deal and just managing emotions and saying, okay, this is that we we just got to get back to compete in the right way and defending our box the right way, and hopefully, if we if we get some results with with a great mindset and defending the box, when the tip of the spear finally arrives, we're going to be flying. And so that's the way I'm processing all this because the truth is, I don't know when it's going to happen, and there's a chance if it happens, but this is a situation that we're currently in and we got to do the best we can and put our heads together to find a solution in the interim.
Speaker 1: So you just reference something that I find really interesting. And because this is a complicated thing, no part of me would want to put you in a position where you're talking poorly about your locker room and the group that you have to coach. I mean, the players that you have at your disposal are the ones you have to maximize.
Speaker 2: But you you.
Speaker 1: Reference when the group knows the tip of the spear isn't very sharp when you go down a man, or excuse me, when you go down a goal. Well, I guess a couple of games ago you go down a man, But when you go down a goal, it feels almost insurmountable because the group knows that the potency isn't there in attack. Is the confidence of the group taking a hit? Do they realize that the solutions that you have up top right now are not the right ones given the results so far?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, And again it's yes, listen, I think you know. Soccer players, you know, are some of the smartest workforces in sports, only because they're so well traveled and they they see life from a different perspective, so like everyone is real privy to it. And the other part of that is, you know, the guys that we do have up top are twenty twenty one and twenty years old, right, and so like it's not fair to those guys who would typically thrive if there was there was an experienced player that had accomplished a lot. That's when players do their best learnings right when their peers are these examples for them to follow. But putting the burden on twenty year old and a twenty one year old guys that are just cutting their teeth in the professional game isn't fair either. And that's why i'm that's why i'm you know, sit with the leadership do today and say we've just got to find solutions. Right, We've got to take the brunt of the responsibility and obviously I think I think most of that right, and we've got to, like, we've got to look at this differently. And so again, if if you're struggling in the attack, then you've got to fortify the defense. And that's got to be our mantra to get us because again, if we go into halftime at zero zero, again there's set pieces that you know, we giggle and diego are capable of scoring goals, but obviously that's not they're a strong point either. They're more goal facilitators in are goal scorers. So we've got to find a way through committee and through managing the game the right way and have a collective understanding that we've got to get to halftime zero zero. And if we're up one zero, that's that's a bonus. But we've got to get there zero zero. So now we can start to like really grind these teams down, create pressure through our possession, and find a way into the net. So that's that's the way we're talking about it internally, and you know, just meeting with the leadership group, you know, once a week and making sure that we readjust our focus on not what we don't have, but what we can be really good at in the strength of our group.
Speaker 1: All Right, one more question in this space, then we'll move on, because you know, at some point we have to talk about what we're dealing with, what's in front of us. As you know, that's all you can all you can actually deal with. But I'm gonna list it man Kurt Schmidt, Jason christ Tony Beltran, Pablo Mastuhenny an unnamed source, little birdie, cute little bird, very small bird. I can't tell you who, but it seems like everybody over there has told me over the past month like we are a few days away from getting this stuff across the line, and you know this, But for our listeners, the primary transfer window closes three weeks from Thursday, three weeks from Thursday, so like we've got to stop messing around. To your point, like you can have the idea of bringing this player into that player and then something gets in the way and it's two or three weeks later. Well, Pablo, if it's two or three weeks later, now it's not happening until the summer. So have you been given any sort of an assurance that at least, you know, within this window before April twenty third comes and goes, you will have better talent at your disposal to coach.
Speaker 3: Yes, but again until until it's the arrives Spence, you know, it's just there's just no guarantees, right, there's just no guarantees. And there's different mechanisms that that you know, we can go internally within the league and and find you know, a proven goal scorer you know, and and again, and the one thing I will promise is when this goal scorer does arrive, when this guy, it's going to take the pressure off everyone and now you can have everyone playing with a sense of freedom, and and and and and players playing authentic to where to who they are. You know, I think in this moment, you know, sometimes you know, Diego Luna is trying to do too much to make the game when if he just does his job, he's an excellent creative player. But if he struggles to find someone to link with higher up the field that can take the pressure off him, you know, it's difficult, and so you so at the moment, you're also seeing guys trying to overplay and guys trying to do too much in the absence of this of a player that's not even here. So but there has But again we're talking about it. Like I said yesterday, we identified another player that hopefully we can secure. But until that player arrives, it's it's it's tough to feel confident that that you know that it happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, So are you satisfied with you know what you outline as far as how you're trying to emphasize. Okay, if we don't have the potency in attack, let's make sure we're a tough nut to crack and what where you aut on that side of the field. As far as uh defending as a team, I mean, I think brawl has been a bright spot I mean, I think he's been a good addition.
Speaker 2: So where are you at over there?
Speaker 3: Bob's yeah, no, I think again, it's just just hitting on it today again in the recap and saying, like these moments where we're in complete control of the game from an offensive perspective. Right. So I look at the two goals we conceded in Minnesota, and they both started with us in really clear possession of the ball. We're literally three orders of the way up the field, playing in our opponent's final third, and within five passes the balls in the back of our net. So, like what we talk about defensively, it's defending in transition. So the first part of that is making sure that you're defensively prepared for any any turnover, right, So that is more communication from the guys in the back, it's better positioning from our from our midfielders, and then it's putting out fires, you know. And and I think the majority of the goals that we can see this year have been through those transition moments. It hasn't been like we've been defending in a block close to our goal, But because we're trying to be aggressive and commit numbers forward, we're susceptible in the back, and so that's the trade off, right, So because we haven't scored a lot of goals, we want to get number numbers higher up the field. But the footside of that is that you're susceptible. So it's it's it's a it's a work in progress. But I think today, especially talking to the leadership group in Rock with cabral Is one of those players. That's what we're being very deliberate gone because we are getting up the field, we are creating chances, but we're just not putting the biscuit in the basket. And so if we can nullify some of those opportunities and handle those moments in real professional ways, I find that we'll put ourselves in position to win more games.
Speaker 2: So let's let's look at the Minnesota game.
Speaker 1: Actually, before we look at you know how you decided to go about it, because we did catch up with you last week and I was unfortunately playing weather man during our interview and I reference what the conditions were going to be like, So it looked rough man on television. What sort of challenges did the weather provide up in Minnesota?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's again, I think the coldest games I've ever played were in those type of conditions where it's not cold enough for snow, but it's wind blowing at like whatever it was forty degrees and the wind blowing the rain sideways, and the one thing is you just don't have an opportunity to ever like feel comfortable, right, And so that that's what the game kind of looked like. And it was rough game, given that those guys were just putting balls into the box and really being directing. We try to play a little bit, and so that style of going up against that Doyle play on that type of surface was very difficult. And you know, at halftime I had we were going to make two tactical changes, and it ended up being four because two of the players were experiencing hypothermic symptoms, right, so you know Yogo and Dominic Marsouk, they just couldn't feel their bodies anymore and their lifts were blue in the whole nine yards. So like that definitely threw things for a spin. So I feel like going from the Dallas game where we were down a man, going into Minnesota with those type of conditions, we've experienced a lot of hardship early on and now it's really leaning on those moments to really dig deep and become a better team on a Saturday where it's hopefully sunny two thirty in the afternoon against the great team like La.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it will be Sonny. I think that'll help. We'll get there in a moment. I wonder, because you reference and smart Zuke and Diego, do international players have a tough time acclimating to some of the challenging conditions MLS puts you guys in when it comes to playing and some of these hold weather scenarios. I mean, I'm just asking because those two guys obviously are are transplants here playing for MLS from different countries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and ironically both of those players have played in snow before, right. Diego came from Denmark team in Denmark and Dominic came from a team in Poland. But but I think again, like the way the amount of rain that was falling and the wind blowing was was I think very unique. And you know, I come to find out that Minnesota have these these warm blankets that they had on their players on the bench and in the locker rooms at halftime, and we didn't have that. We didn't have that right. And I just think that that little difference of like being able to like warm yourself at halftime could have made the difference between the players, you know, getting through the second half and maybe not. But you know, I think it wasn't just those two guys. Everyone was you know, I mean, everyone's eyes were just like they were all everyone was shivering at halftime. It was incredible. So the fact that the guys actually finished the game was a feat unto itself. And and and again that's I think something that we need to lean on as a group because we've gone through a lot in the last two weeks and we've got to use that as a motivational force to move forward.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the way you elected to attack this peole was out because of the red card. So Forrester gets the startup top. I just had the lineup slide. So I know this isn't exactly how it goes because guys move around, but diego central centrally located where the ten would be, diego out left.
Speaker 2: Out, out wide right, and then uh macha and o'heta.
Speaker 1: Of course, as you're you're you're central, what's the what is there something going on with Katranis or are you just choosing to kind of cycle through that left back spot that I just thought was his.
Speaker 2: I thought he had solidified that.
Speaker 3: No, you know again, I think there's uh, you know, Sam Junko had a really really good preseason. His his physical output is the top on the team, so in that position, you know, we asked him to play wing winger when we have the ball, and we ask him to play left back when we don't. And Sam had just had a really good preseason, great start to the season, had a really good performance in Houston. So we've been running it. But but again, I think obviously when you're not getting the results, you're you're looking at every nook and cranny to try to find percentages to the good. And that's definitely one position that we're looking at and and and a big part of that is the way Alex has been training. Alex has been great, his attitude has been great. So you know, looking towards this next game, there will probably be two to three different changes to the group that you're that you've just mentioned again to continue to instill a competitive environment, but to also find different mechanisms to spark you know, the results.
Speaker 1: Is there another option besides forrest during pol up top. I'm not asking because I'm knocking on those two. I'm just wondering what sort of depth you have up there? Is there anything maybe we just haven't seen that you feel like you might be able to try to kind of crack this thing open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's it's a bit unconventional. But his who's Borea, who came into the game in the second half about it, did extremely well. He played as kind of a false nine in uh in college, and so you know, this is this is making an adjustment to our game model where we actually want our nine to be on the highest line, to always push the defensive line back to create space underneath for Diego and Diego. But we're looking at you know, maybe his Seu's in that position to occupy center backs because the three of them really understand movements, the ball possession, and they're really really crafty. So we'll look at that tomorrow and see if that that that, you know, brings up anything a little bit different. But his Seuss has a great eye for goal, scored quite a few goals in his last college season and has been really really bright in front of goal for us. And so again, if what we're doing isn't isn't working, we're always looking for different ways to readjust our game model so that we can be more productive in the attack.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I mean I just continue to kind of feel bad that you're in this spot where you have to get creative, like, hey, let's play a false night Like no, let's get a nine that can actually score. You know, but that's just me. So let's move towards Saturday. But before we get there specifically, And you were good to talk about this last time you joined, and I always discussed just basically being around now the league for twenty years since we brought the club here. I've seen some of our best team start horribly. I've seen some of our worst team start incredibly. And this season is simply a marathon. But do you feel like it's getting late early? Do you catch my drift? You feel like it's getting late early? I kind of feeling a little pressure leaving points on the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's always obviously you can't you can't win the season at the start, but you can put yourself in a a in a in a tough spot, you know where I feel where I feel good about our group is that one. It's a really really honest group, right we you know, we might not have the sharpest tip of the spear, but we do have an honest group. And so when we were doing our game reviews, there's there's everyone's understanding what we're talking about, what the expectations are. And you know, in the last couple of years, we've been on runs where we've been fifteen unbeaten. Right in the last two years, I think we've had two runs where we've been fifteen unbeaten, and so a lot a lot of that started with the tough performance. And so that's what I keep saying to the guys that if we pull up, you know, if we can dig out our inner competitiveness right in our in our we don't give a damn type mentality, You're going to find ways to score goals. You're going to find ways to win games. It may not be drawn up like we do in training, but if you don't believe it, right, if you don't have the mindset, then then it's impossible to achieve. And then you start feeling like what you're talking about, which is a little bit nervy. You know, and so for me, from my perspective is it's always looking forward. We've done this in the past two years, and it usually started with a bad run of form, but we found a way and then once you get it going, all those experiences in the past that were very difficult to kind of deal with and at the time are now you know, steps on the ladder that you can climb up, right, And so I think that that for me is the most important thing, you know, because again it's it's not it doesn't feel good when you're in these in these moments, right and you you know you can. You can sit there and feel pity. But for me, it's always about challenging myself, challenging the group to be the best version of yourself, because every player has done something special to get to this level and it's our our job as coaches to unlock that that special talent and to play free and let me worry about the results. You just worry about doing your job and having a great.
Speaker 2: Performance, all right.
Speaker 1: So I reference the lineup slide with Forster up top and the midfield and you know back for a rough and goal.
Speaker 2: I don't know much about the Galaxy this year.
Speaker 1: I know that they won MLS couple year ago, and they're off to what I'm reading is the worst start in La Galaxy history.
Speaker 2: I do not know why.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can shed some light, so I would imagine they still have quality. So you might be expecting a little bit of a rabbit dog rolling into the stadium coming up on Saturday. But tell me about the Galaxy and if you care to help us understand how you're going to try to make some changes to improve this attack coming up on Saturday as the Galaxy rolling in town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they're obviously in a tough run of form in the league. They lost their most important player in Ricky Pooge that dictated a lot. They've lost another striker, winger, Paincil, who is a speedy winger who's just now come back last game. But they're also in in the in the concer Cat Cup. And so they're actually playing tonight in Mexico. I'll check out the game. So they're they're in two tournaments and and you know this this league. The one thing I would say about form is that when the whistle blows, there's no such thing as forming this league. Uh, it's because any team can beat any team on any given day. And and so for me, it's really thinking about not their run of form, but what they're capable of. And if you win an MLS Cup a year before, you're can from from in, from my perspective, it's a great team because they have that and they just have to tap into that. So the way we're gonna deal with it is, again, they're they're coming, they're gonna they're gonna be in Mexico tonight and they're probably traveling back home and then coming out on Friday. So how do we how do we dictate the game with the ball but but be very ball secure and then finding some different relationships up front that are more goal dangerous and and see how it pans out for us. But but I believe that the most important aspect of how we're going to win this game at the weekend has to be with our mentality and our competitiveness. We have to be dogs everywhere on the field and and and and by that I also mean like we've got to be willing to make hard runs in the box even if the ball doesn't come. And that's competitiveness as well, and and and trusting your teammates and doing your job, and so all those little things will hopefully put us in a position to be the team that you know is capable of doing great things. So one team we obviously can't take lightly, but more importantly, I want to see a team that that competes the right way, that believes in themselves, regardless of who we have and who we don't have, and and and play some great football.
Speaker 1: All right, my guy, Well, best of luck on Saturday. Hopefully we can get this thing turned around. And yeah, I'll do my best to get out there hopefully say hello and go get it man, go get three.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds great spense, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: But all right, Pablo Master, Johnny Ray else back in action against the LA Galaxy here and well, Sandy should be right there, should be right there where I'm pointing to. But it's a parking lot, different story, different day. It's been a slog. It has been a tough start. There are only three teams in MLS that have a worse goal differential than RSL, but one of them happens to be the LA Galaxy, who, after winning the Cup last year, have not won a match so far this year.
Speaker 2: Four and two. They've had some international duty.
Speaker 1: I guess some players banged up, but their goal differential is minus seven. They've scored five goals allowed twelve RSLs minus six. They've scored five goals, they've allowed eleven. Five goals in six games. Is not going to get it done. I did not ask Pablo about this because I do not ever want to put somebody in a position where they might be criticizing their literal employer. But I just have to wonder if the progress it feels like it is stalled as a result of the rumors with these players that they're trying to sign. Is it due to the current situation with the ownership change. It could be as simple as that. Now, the problem that we run into is on Thursday, it will be three weeks from this Thursday where the primary transfer window closes and then doesn't open again until the summer. And if RSL doesn't add pieces prior to this window closing, they will not be able to wait until the summer to add pieces to be able to do anything even kind of exciting.
Speaker 2: They will not make the playoffs. They won't even be close to it. The team's not good enough.
Speaker 1: They jettised in a ton of talent, some of the most talented players we've ever seen here in the market, Chie Show and Andres Gomez and Matt Crooks and others, and they have not brought in reinforcements.
Speaker 2: And I think it's unfair to the coach.
Speaker 1: And hopefully Pablo is getting what he needs from ownership some understanding that they just have put him in a bad spot. But it's been uninspiring. It's been boring, quite frankly, and not fun to watch, and they don't win. Not a great model if you're trying to play competitive soccer. Pablo stops by today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores.
Speaker 2: Gang It will get warm at some point.
Speaker 1: So if you're a homeowner and you have a lawn that you need to look out for, right now is the time to consider reaching out to our friends at IFA Country Stores. Any drive to the basket begins with the first step and on the court that's the ultimate power move. But IFA Step one Crabgrass Prevent plus their lawn food is the first choice to give your yard the healthy green look you admire.
Speaker 2: The neighbors will be green with envy.
Speaker 1: Shop IFA online at IFA dot co Op, or stop by one of their neighborhood stores today