Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. I just get on and you get to end.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 1: Bad. No, it is right there.
Speaker 3: It is Thursday, May first, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the only show about dogs hosted by dogs. This is Sparta. I'm the host, Jason Straighthorn, I'm all my co hosts. Swerving Irvan. What you're doing over there?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: You got balls?
Speaker 4: What's up? Bro?
Speaker 2: Hey Stram down here in Naples, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: At the auction.
Speaker 2: With my man big Okay Montgomery clip gold course looking on you. You get your can you get your practice in?
Speaker 3: You know what, man, it's been a it's been a big day of practice down here in Naples, Florida. You know you see the scene down here behind me, everything looking real, real plush. But uh man, look, we gotta get to the news of the day, Swerving, Irving and everybody knows that, and everybody's been talking about it since, you know, I mean the wee hours of the morning. Alan haller out as the athletic director from Michigan State. You know, after three and a half years, three plus years at the Helm in Michigan State University of a former Michigan State football player comes out of land Scene Sexton High School and is now transitioning to another role. His last day will he made eleventh for you know, you and I have been on the phones all day long. People here in Naples are talking about it at the Greg Montgomery Foundation event. What's the thoughts? Tell me what you're feeling about the loss of Alan Haller.
Speaker 5: I mean straight, first of all, knowing the knowing the league, like knowing how life has presented itself. Meaning when you have an allegation like we had with Mail, Well, you know, you have different situations like you do, and you gotta come down on somebody. Somebody got to be the fall. Guys, somebody gotta take it. If you had to hear him, you better know it's coming for you. And that's just my opinion of it. You know, I don't have the ends and out that its pros and cars.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 5: But when you're losing guys, and I know everybody losing guys nil, But you know we don't lost a prison, you know, lost the basketball player. You know, guys talking about it nil. You know you got alumni guys clean out. I mean it, there's so much that I'm even hearing from guys that's played in the seventies in the eighties saying like they don't have a connection with this guy, even the head coach.
Speaker 2: They're like, who hired this guy?
Speaker 5: We don't even have a connection with the head coach and he So it's just so much that I'm hearing and not knowing the logistics of everything.
Speaker 2: It's it's a big situation.
Speaker 4: You know. You said a lot there.
Speaker 3: You talk about like what people from a lot of different eras are feeling about the hire of different coaches and how this new era of Michigan State, not only Misigan State, but athletics college athletics as a whole are moving, you know, with nil transfer portal, the way that you know, people are looking at how to be forward thinking. You know, this is a different, different era of college athletics, you know. And you know, Alan Haller, for all the things that he was able to accomplish, hiring a lot of great coaches, doing a lot of great things and getting projects implemented at Michigan State to further advance sparring athletics, still wasn't enough for what is needed at Michigan State. You know, there's a lot of people around college athletics that are a little confused, you know right now, you know, you see, you know, what's going on around the country. Soever you see it, you definitely see it. Having a son at Stanford, another one at Imgenus being highly recruited, and you know, you have the three D view if you will, to be able to see what other schools besides the school that you played for and love are doing now as I am being able to see that, you know, I have a son who went to University of Michigan, you know, over the last you know, a few months and signed with them, So I'm able to see things that you know, the typical you know, both of us are able to see things that the typical fan aren't able to see. And what you're seeing at Michigan State is not has not been on par with what we're seeing other places.
Speaker 4: Make no mistake about it.
Speaker 3: Michigan State is not a place that you and I can divorce because we played for we bleed Green, We love Michigan State. It's not something that we're saying, hey, we're trying to throw Michigan Statement in the trash. If you can't divorce your mama, right couldn't do it. I can't divorce mind. So the difference is when there's leadership, there's a vacuum, there's a lack of forward thinking. Then you know, you're forced to be in situations such as this where we're all looking and reeling for answers, and you know, I'll tell you, man, like this is a tough day. It's a tough day all the way around. You know, big revenue sports. We got Brad Gray right here, the big revenue sport. Football has got to get better today. That takes a dollar more. So far MSU hasn't shown the willingness. Maybe that changes. Now, go ahead, it's well.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's funny, funny, big great someone. I was just gonna say, Straightca, you made a hell of a point. What you always do? Someone today? Once again, everybody down here at the auction for my man grig Alright, we're here. Someone said that Allen did a good job for us, helping the other small sports come alive on campus. But for some reason, with football, it wasn't a priority to make football one of the tops because we'll top twenty five schools straight. We've been there since ninety six, ninety seven. You got to talk about us. You know, and and someone said today just like what Gray said, he aligned it with with what Big Gray just said.
Speaker 2: He didn't focus enough.
Speaker 5: On football and made football be like it is and all the big coverage, a big teams campus. It was the same thing what we just said, I was, that's the red time, you know football.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you lack a focus of football, I think that's a major mistake.
Speaker 4: That's clear.
Speaker 3: Michigan State or no matter what school is, if you're in the Power for conferences, that's Big ten, that's SEC, that's Big twelve, that's a CEC. Okay, if you're in those conferences, you know that the big revenue generator is football. You know, there's nowhere else that has the TV viewership, There's nowhere else that has the amount of people that pack stadiums for each game. So football should be careabout. You know, there's other conferences that's not that's not the case. You know, the Big East and places like that where they don't have to share. Where they're looking forward to this you know, uh House settlement where they're going to be roughly twenty and a half million dollars that you know, university is going to be able to share amongst different sports. You know, places that do not have football may thrive in the basketball round because they'll be able to take the line, share that money and put it in basketball. But that being aside, what we have been saying right here on this show that this is spared I m issue swear.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about it. Man.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about this for months, for over a year, that Michigan State has to get with it. That there are schools that are not just dealing with revenue share. Okay, there's schools that are doing revenue share plus.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: When we talk about plus, what are we talking about. We're talking about donations. We're talking about donors, man, the donor pool, talking about NIO. We're talking about an athletic director that has to what the profile. That's what we're going to be talking about over the next couple of days. Here is the profile of the athletic director that can lead you in this environment?
Speaker 4: What does that look like? You know, I know there's going to be a national search. We know that right now.
Speaker 3: That's interim director when Jim Smith right now and the whole interim director with Tom Izo. We understand that. But but there's gonna be a search going on. Is somebody that's already in house and somebody that's already a spartan.
Speaker 4: This is somebody.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go out to the west coast, they're gonna go down south, They're going out to east and try to find the new athletic director. What's that's the question And we're not here to about going on at Michigan State and what are the I guess answers to what's the path forward to Michigan State if they want to be successful, if we all want to be successful in any sport, and mainly we're talking about football squad.
Speaker 2: I mean I totally degree. You know, it's like what I said, it don't want many more.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: We we got to find somebody that want to make us tops, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because I think we got the resources.
Speaker 5: While we tap it into the resource is the right way, you know, And I think that's the key. You know, we got to find out what everybody else is doing. You know what Ohio State doing that we not doing. You know what Michigan doing that we're not doing. You know what Miami's doing that we're not doing. We we gotta find out. We gotta that that got that person gotta come in and make that difference. It ain't no if in the US about it. And if they don't find the right person, guess what, we're gonna be singing the same. Everybody gonna be hoping what's on?
Speaker 2: Win one more.
Speaker 5: That's all we're gonna be cheering for because we're not gonna put the football program in the right position because I don't think and I'm not knocking Joe Montana University and and DePaul and wherever we're getting these guys from. We're just not gonna you know, you're not gonna get my blood pressure up this year.
Speaker 2: I'm not. You're not gonna fool me because I'm a realist. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I know we need the Jimmies and the Joels, and the time right now is n I L. It ain't about recruiting. It ain't no more recruiting, no more. That stopped three four years ago.
Speaker 2: It's n I L.
Speaker 5: You gotta put yourself in and to be able to compete in the nil.
Speaker 2: If not, we're gonna keep doing were doing.
Speaker 5: And I guess the guys that we get because that's the pool that we got it gotta be.
Speaker 4: Right. Yeah, yeah, there's no doubt about it. I think that.
Speaker 3: You know, when you look at Michigan State recruiting in the NIL and portal shopping, both in basketball and football, there's there's this tension. It seems to be, you know, the coaches feel hamstrung, handcuffed something. It's not Hey, let's just go out here and just make offers and whatever we want to do, we're gonna get it done. And if we're wrong, we got somebody that's gonna back us, is gonna you know, make up the difference. And that's it's not the game that we're playing right now in East Lancy, you know, right or wrong, it's not. And uh, in order to be competitive on a level where you're trying to compete for championships today, unfortunately, that's where that's where you need to be wherever. I mean, you can't just you know, look, Jonathan Smith and Tom Izzo are both excellent coaches.
Speaker 4: On the exces and TH's.
Speaker 3: But you just named it just now when you said, but you can't win championships without the Jimmy's and Jones, and by that we need to mean you need the players you need to have the players. And the only way to really get the players the athletes when you talk about athletes for athletes, has to be able to have a program set up that that can show them a path that they're going to be better young men and women when they leave Michigan State University in many ways education. But you know, listen, you definitely have to compete financially. Not saying you gotta be them, you gotta only have to be Texas throwing forty million dollars at the football program. But you know, as they said just a week a couple of days ago, right, forty million dollars roster at Texas. You know there's there's gonna be a lot of those kind of rosters around the country.
Speaker 4: But you need to be able to compete.
Speaker 3: Mischiss State has a lot to offer oute side of just money, you know, because they have uh, one of the most beautiful campuses that Swerve. You can tell everybody about what it's like to be on campus at at Case Hall.
Speaker 4: And I don't know what did we lose, Swerve. I think we lost.
Speaker 3: Did we losing Hey, listen, look we live here in Naples. We're talking about what's happened at Michigan State.
Speaker 4: There you go, swerve.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't lose me. You can't.
Speaker 3: You might have to get out of them walls, brother, and walking around outside.
Speaker 5: It ain't.
Speaker 3: It's still some sunlight out here. It's still some little sunlight out here.
Speaker 2: Man, straight, Can you hear me, stri Can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it ain't just case. You can't get it. You can't forget about club.
Speaker 5: Marsh Smash or Smash marsh Man.
Speaker 3: You changing, yeah, yeah, smash Man, Mash Mash, Mash, mash Man, whatever it is, Marsh, club marsh Man.
Speaker 5: I know all I know. I had a hell of a time and it's a great time, you know. But at the end of the day, man, you know, you know I don't I don't knock, you know, Hallan, you know, like I said on the Woman anymore. You know, I thank him for everything that he did. But you know it's it's people in higher places. Is noise that was made, you know, And like I said, you had the mail situation. I thought it was just amount of time, you know. That's why I would promote myself to be the next a d you know, why not me? You know, I need everybody to send letters and emails and boot for Smurv and Irving to be the next ad.
Speaker 3: You know, hey, man, I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of people knowing they had in the ring right now. You know, it's a heavily highly politically charged they've had. They've got message boards of lighting up right now because of all the search firms that are rumored to be on retainer to go out and find the next ad. You know, this is this is big business in college athletics right now to find who's going to be at the helm for these positions such as this, you know, Swerve and Irving.
Speaker 4: Hey, you can do it, you can do it. Maybe. Hey, I'm in your corner, you know that.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm just saying when you talk about what's going on around the country. Man, hey, you got guys out here that have that they're rumoring to come to Missisan State a u CLA.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: You know jar Bod, guy who's making almost two million dollars a year at UCLA younger than us Swerve right now, you know, looking to maybe come back. He was an associate ad a few years ago at Michigan State University. You know, you got guys uh from University of North Carolina. You know, looking at the message boards around the around Michigan State Athletics. You know, there's rumors that maybe he was offering a job already and he's already turned down.
Speaker 4: We don't we don't know what the facts are.
Speaker 3: And this we're just telling you what the word on the street is, West Virginia have an athletic director. Uh. That that that's another guy who's rumored to be in the mix for the Michigan State job. You know, look, the list can go on and on, and we we're gonna get that profile to what do people What do the fans really want? What are they really looking for the director? We need a profile not just swerving, Like what what does Swerven nerv mean to the people? And what is that gonna mean?
Speaker 2: But one thing you got to let the people know.
Speaker 5: One thing, you got to let the people know that Swerven Hervier just say talking ship. He got a massive degree in educational leadership, so he's already a born leader. Now you know the political part of being the leader. You know, all I'm saying is both for swerving over it for be your next a d.
Speaker 3: You get that you get you got that down, King smile down brother, right hey man, Look so tomorrow you know this, This golf outing for the Montgomery Foundation kicks off in Naples, Florida, right now as the sun sets here on the west side of Florida, South Florida, not too far away from your old stomping ground. Swerve in Miami. What are you going to shoot? Inquiring minds want to know what is swerving? O We're gonna shoot tomorrow.
Speaker 5: First of all, I gotta give a shout to Hope because when we were driving down here, I did not know that Brownwood County it is only like forty seven hours away from Naprile.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 5: But anyway, straight I came in today, you know, to the people that don't know where we're at. This is this is This is where I'm at. This is where the auction was at. Right, See look at that. I got Michigan fans right there where I go right and swerving iran for a D the next ad swerving IRV say that swerving iver.
Speaker 4: See what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you it's all over, you know, er Van spur Man.
Speaker 2: I can't make this s it up. Straight up, swerving irve for the next ad, telling.
Speaker 1: People, next ad, next a deep, I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna be the next A D at Michigan State Universe.
Speaker 2: You want me the campaign?
Speaker 4: I mean, what else is not much?
Speaker 5: Not much, but I mean I'm guaranteed you to get a hold in one after I finished about two cigars tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So I'm just the people want me. Just all I'm saying, I'm all for the people.
Speaker 4: Straight.
Speaker 3: Hey, you can't do nothing with it. Hey you swear with irver like man, Look you see this answer sunsets in Naples. Man, we got a lot going on here because we got to get up early. We got to get to bed early, because we got to be up at that early shotgun.
Speaker 4: You got to be up the range at six am. All what is it? Six thirty? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, So they start at eight fifteen.
Speaker 5: But for the average, the range, the range, No, no, no, I don't do the range right. If they're starting at eight fifteen, we're in the golf car at eight fifteen.
Speaker 2: I would get here at eight eleven.
Speaker 5: Oh man, now you average, you average golfers got to get here seven o'clock and all that warm up and stretch.
Speaker 2: I ain't got time for that shit straight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you tripper, you tripper.
Speaker 3: You gotta get a couple of swings and man, you know you can't sleep till left eight eleven and get in for an h fifteen shotgun. I don't know, Hey, Swerve, Hey man, final thoughts. Man, Look, we gotta get up out of here because I gotta get to bed.
Speaker 5: Man, come on, gee, hey all, I'm saying once again, man, I want to salute you know, like I said before, is I know it's a tough time for for my man Howler. Appreciate you for three and a half. By the end of the day, all the music must keep playing. You know, we got it, We got it. We gotta move on, we gotta step up, and we gotta find somebody that's gonna take us to the next level.
Speaker 2: So appreciate you. Best of looking.
Speaker 4: Whatever you do.
Speaker 5: You're successful. You was a successful police officer. You'll be you know, thedeed, you'll be successful after this. But the next person up it's gonna take us to the next level.
Speaker 3: And guess who it is, Swerving Irving, Yeah, I hear you, brother, you listen, you know, swear whenever that misigan state is not going to just just just send Alan Haller home with his pockets empty. He will be paid out the remainder of his contract, which is another year and a half when I think it's a million dollar plus contract per year.
Speaker 4: So he'll be okay, he'll be okay. You know.
Speaker 3: So I'm definitely praying for the brother because you know, he is one of us and we are him. So you know, if one of us goes down, we all go down together. And you know, we think that he will stand strong with the help and the support of what he was able to accomplish at Michigan State, and you know, the people here do appreciate what he was able to do and going forward with Swerve man, you know, for you get your campaign.
Speaker 4: Going, let's do that.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people profile wives that are looking to get in the game. So they had in the ring so to speak, and swear when Nerves just one of them, you know, so hey, you know, you got my vote. There's a lot of people out here that are that are gonna wanna get involved in this game, and so we're gonna talk about this in more detail next week, you know, with Live from Naples, Florida. For Swerving, Irvan I'm Jason Strayhorn. This is Sparta M s U. Everybody, have a good night, God bless you all, and go great go.
Speaker 4: Why