Speaker 1: Would that be correct? And seeing that most of the counterintelligence stuff when it comes to propaganda really revolves around the Internet.
Speaker 2: Probably today. I left counter intelligence a long time ago, but we didn't have the Internet back then. But I would imagine today there's a lot of that going on through the Internet through sources within TikTok. The way they would do it is recruit people that work for different Internet providers or even YouTube channels, and then tap into that particular YouTube channel or TikTok channel and perform some type of counter intelligence operation. Back by the day, as it was called deception operations, you didn't you didn't see anything written about disinformation UH the the UH. If you were going to UH operate a kind of intelligence operation, it would be through deception uh and and similar to what we did with with Paul Benowitz, although that really wasn't much of a task with us because Paul was already a believer in UFOs, so we didn't have to go through any great lengths to make him believe what he was seeing were UFOs and not as the secret operation that he actually tapped into. So he lived Paul lived in in what they call the area called Four Hills. UH and west eastern Albuquerque. That the Four Hills uh Housing complex was right up against the base perimeter of Kirkland Air Force Base. In fact, Paul's house. If he went out his back yard and walked up the defence his fence, there was a buffer zone of about maybe one hundred hundred feet and then the base defence was there, so Paul could look right into see Manzano. And so Paul told Colonel Edwards that he was receiving strange signals from there, and also he was filming strange objects flying next to military aircrafts. When that was reported to Colonel Edwards, he immediately contacted me. I was a counter intelligence officer for the base, and he said, hey, Rick, I got some guy here is providing information to me that you need to hear. So immediately went to Colonel Edward's office. He gave me all the information on Paul, and then I made contact with Paul. That was early in nineteen eighty and that's when the operation began. Paul didn't come out and speak with the Air Force personnel until some time later.
Speaker 1: Were you kind of tasked by your superiors to give this dessumption to Paul Benowitz or was this something just like on your own accord, like just reinforcing his own preconceived thoughts and ideas he already.
Speaker 2: Had no in within the US intelligence community. You didn't, you know, you didn't walk across the street and get a drink of water without an operations plan. When my first objective was to gather all the information that Paul I had, I didn't. I didn't say or or try to trick Paul in anything until I gathered all the information that he was trying that he gave to Colonel Edwards. And so I went out and met with Paul a couple of times to get everything that he'd had and that he was reporting. I never provided anything to Paul until maybe the third or fourth time I went back out there. But when I come back came back to the office, I wrote up my report and and and or reports and sent them up to our headquarters. And then they set me down a proposed operational plan of what what I need to do. And that's I followed the plan. I did exactly what they told me to do, and that's that's how I started interfacing with Paul.
Speaker 1: Did you know that what he was captioning was advanced military technology that was being tested around Kirkland Air Force Base, and that he was getting transmissions from the base before you went to figure out what he had was that already was that already the thought in the idea behind the Air Force at that time, but that he had footage or he was recording signals from the military base.
Speaker 2: Well, what Paul was doing was he was photographing these objects flying around military planes and what he was actually photographing was a highly classified experimental military drone program. They were testing different drones back in those days. And the one way that the drones were tested was the military aircraft would fly a certain flight pattern and release those drones from directly from the aircraft. And because the aircraft, the controllers inside that aircraft had to control those drones, they flew those drones flew in close proximity to these Air Force aircrafts. Well, Paul was photographing that thinking those things were UFOs And when he told us and showed us, showed me the film, there were other agents of my name is came up, Jerry Miller's, Steve Ats and some others. Uh. But uh so we gathered all that information and gave it you know, set it up. And then that's when the Air Force says, you're gonna have to convince him that those things are something else. And since Paul was a believer in UFOs, he was a muphone investigator, he's been one for a number of years. He was actually involved with Nightcap prior to MUPON and so he was a believer, and he told us those things are UFOs, those things are alien aircrafts. So it didn't it wasn't difficult for me to convince him. All I had to say was, Okay, I believe you, Paul. They probably are. That's it easy, easy job. Now. The other thing he was doing was on the base, we.
Speaker 3: Had a an NSA facility that had a two laser systems, and what they these lasers were doing were shooting a laser up in the sky every time a Soviet aircraft would pass over and point that laser into the glens of that passing Soviet satellite and blinding the satellite.
Speaker 2: We had several of them in the United States, and Paul was had tapped into those signals using to control that laser. That's how an Essay got involved in it a National Security miss agency and so that's what we did during the investigation. Now, there were a lot of other parts of the Paul Benowitz case, but that was the primary and it was directed and driven by the Defense Intelligence Agency, and they dictated what we were to do and how we were to do it.
Speaker 1: When did you figure out, I guess you personally, or maybe the Air Force. Maybe the Air Force already knew that the NSAY was involved with Paul benn Which was this further down the road or earlier when you were in contact with him.
Speaker 2: I had no idea they were. One night, I was at Paul's house with another agent and we were looking We were up in the Paul's upper patio. It was a rainy night, so we were inside upstairs and we're looking across the street. And as I looked across the street at this house drugly across the street from him, I saw a little red light in the window and I thought, Hey, Paul, who lives over there? I think they got a camera on pointing over here. And Paul says, nobody lives over there. That's a vacant house. I thought, Wow, that's odd. So we watched it for a while and I thought, with somebody's photograph in this house. So we went. Now, we were federal agents and we carried guns, and so we went down. But I called the Albuquerque Police Department and I had contacts there, and I asked for a couple officers come out. We walked across the street just as these two men were coming down the steps and getting to going to a car. Albuquerque police stopped and ask them what they were doing. They said, well, they're renting this place. And then I stepped in. I said, you're renting this place? He said yeah. I said were you guys? Where are you guys out of He said, well, no, no, your business, you know. I kind of so, I, you know, identified myself and myself and Steve AT's at the other agent with me, and that pretty much shurned the algu Please turned that over to us, and they said, well we're here. We were out of Colorado Springs. I said, what are you doing down here? Why? Why are you filming that house across the street. He said, well, I can't tell you that it's classified. So but they did identify themselves finally as an SA agent's. So the next day or a day after, I immediately went out to the NSA facility and met I had contacts out there and met with one of their supervisors and I said, why the hell are you guys involved with an investigation that we're doing. And he said, well, I can't tell you that. I have to get you know, you have to get clearances and so forth. So like a day or two later he called me up and said, you can come out and and we'll brief you on it. And then he briefed us on what they were doing, and they were concerned about the signals that Paul was getting from the laser systems. I knew the laser system was out there. I mean I knew everything because I was a count of Telligence officer. I knew everything that was on the base, but I didn't actually know every aspects of those things. So then I said, okay, so that's why you guys are investigating. But they went beyond, way beyond that. They actually planted listening devices and other bugs inside Paul's home without telling us, and we would find them. We had technical people that would come out in sweep Paul's house all the time because we also had an espionage investigation going against one of Paul's employees. Paul owned the Thunder Scientific laboratories right outside Kirtland. He was making parts for a Miniman missiles, warheads and and US Navy submarines. And so we we've got information on a on on somebody that might be providing data to the Chinese. That was turned over to the FBI eventually, But we would go out, our technical specialists would go out and sweep Paul's house for signals all the time, and they found these NSA bugs, which number one, were not legal. We had a contract with Paul, a written contract the Air Force had with Paul Minnewitz because Paul wanted this thing investigated, and so Paul agreed to the contract and everything that we did was in that contract. Paul allowed us to go into his home anytime we wanted to or needed to. We could collect data from his home. He knew what type of bugs we placed in his home. We knew. He knew that his phone was being monitored, and he had two different phone systems or numbers, different phone numbers, and we had both of those bugs. He knew that. That's why at the end of this investigation, people always ask me, well, why didn't Paul sue you guys, Because we had a contract with him. Everything was written down and we did everything according to that contract. So Paul, you know, agreed to it because he wanted to know exactly what these aliens were doing and he thought that we were collecting all that data. So they didn't have one with him, so they surreptitiously entered us home to place these bugs, you know, one in the computer and he had another one, a couple other ones. So we found him and we took him out, and we took him back and gave him to NSA and said, next time you do something, you need a warrant or a permission.
Speaker 1: What did Paul think about these bugs that were that you guys were finding That wasn't your guys's bugs. What did he say about that?
Speaker 2: Well, this is one of the mistakes I think I made. If i'd do it over again, I wouldn't do it this way I did. We didn't tell Paul initially we found these bugs. And number one the reason, one of the reasons why our supervisor told us not to tell Paul was we didn't know who's who placed these in there at that time. We thought they might be Soviets, Russian, Chinese, So our technical security specialists got the bugs and they analyzed them. And when they analyzed them and found out that they were NSA bugs, we didn't tell Paul initially that they were NSA bugs, but we took him back to NSA at some point later on. We did tell Paul, but not initially. And I think if I hadn't do it all over again, I would immediately tell Paul. But but that's that's a mistake I made in that investigation I did. We didn't initially when we found him tell Paul that