Speaker 1: Ladies, gentlemen, theyse and them's It's all Hallow's Eve with Wicked and Grim. My name is Jacko and for the past week I have been your master of ceremonies as we lead you through Halloween Week, and of course I will be here for the remainder of the very last day. Every story we've covered has turned and twisted, through the creepy, through the murderous, and so far you have stuck with us, side by side. And now a murderous tale that takes a back to nineteen fifty seven on this very night, on the night of Halloween. But of course that's not a story for me to tell. That is a story for your hosts. So let me once again introduce your hosts of Wicked and Grim, Ben and Nicole.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 3: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole and you're listening to Halloween.
Speaker 2: Week with Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 3: A true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: And it's Halloween. Whoa We made it seven full days? Yes, we hope you guys have had fun so far.
Speaker 3: Happy Halloween.
Speaker 2: You guys got to tell us your trick of treating. You're dressed up? What's the deal all of it?
Speaker 3: Do You're drinking, you're eating, Yeah, what you're doing?
Speaker 2: What's happened right now? We are podcasting with a black cat sitting right before Actruly. Yeah, he's he's our Halloween mascot. That's Kiwi.
Speaker 3: He's our best Halloween decoration act. He is.
Speaker 2: He's rocked it. Also, speaking to people who have rocked it are patrons. Yeah, so we are going to go ahead and read our patrons who have signed up for signed up with us on Patreon for Halloween week. So these are the ones who signed up this past week. We have Harley Woodward, Matthew Hobbes, John Stark, and Jamie Harrington Wicked. Wicked. Thank you very much for signing up over on Patreon. If you guys want to join us, all you have to do is hit the link below in the description. You can head over there a little bit of a monthly fee that goes to support the show, and you can join us. You get some extra cool content behind the scenes, like like extra episodes at the end of the month every month.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Here's over two hundred of us over there showing away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's super cool. It's an awesome environment there.
Speaker 2: It is. It's like a whole community. Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 3: And people chat with each other sometimes and it's great. I love it. Yeah, so I love it.
Speaker 2: And also we have a contest for running right now. This is only running for the next like twelve hours or so. Yeah. So unless this is you're listening to this podcast like immediately once released, you might be too late, but go ahead and tell them about that's what they can do to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we're going to be drawing it on Halloween Day, so October thirty first today at six pm ish because we're doing a live at that time on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah, specific standard time, yes, PST.
Speaker 3: Sorry. So all you have to do is you have to submit a photo. So on Facebook, you submit in the comments. On Instagram, you do a story and you take us of your carved pumpkin. Easy. Easy, And I'm when I posted about it, I was like, this is a lot easier than the last give away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. So if you do that, it's not a skill based thing. As soon as you submit the photo, you're automatically in a draw and you can win yourself at big old fuzzy fuffy fuffy, full fluffy blanket with a big old picture of JACKO on it from our cool So yeah, yeah, go ahead and enter that, go follow our socials and join in and you could win.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then one other thing we just wanted to note, because we put a whole week of awesomeness out and we're going to let you all get kind of caught up on that. There won't be an episode on November first, on Tuesday, correct, so, but there will be one the following Tuesday.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 3: So just so you all are in the know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it might take some of those people out there who are a little bit behind a whole week even to catch up on Halloween week. So we're going to give that due time to catch up, and us, honestly due time to catch up as well, because we do work full time jobs and this Halloween week was a lot of work. So that one little extra day for us will make a big difference. Yeah yeah, yeah, Okay, should we get right into it.
Speaker 3: I think So this is the last day we made it. It's this is this is a celebration, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The end of the second annual Halloween weeks. It's here, this is it. It's all come down to this store.
Speaker 3: Oh, second annual. We've been around that long, right, it's like yesterday that we.
Speaker 2: Started, well, maybe the day before.
Speaker 3: I keep okay, I'm wearing a risk guard. It keeps catching, I'm taking it off, Okay, fair.
Speaker 2: Enough, Okay. So we're going to be going back to nineteen fifty seven, nice and this is the trick or treat murder. Oh so it's very holloween oriented.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at you go.
Speaker 2: So you ready for this?
Speaker 3: I'm ready all right.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen fifty seven in Los Angeles, Betty Fabiano was just about finished evaluating her life choices. By then, she was thirty five years old. She'd been married twice, and she was currently living with her second husband, Peter Fabiano, and her daughter, Judy Solomon. From the outside looking in, Betty had it all. Her and Peter owned two successful hair salons, and they had a beautiful house in the valley. Her son, Richard Solomon was at the start of his career in the navy, Judy was doing pretty well in school, and Betty could pick and choose her own business hours nice.
Speaker 3: So like living the life really.
Speaker 2: Pretty much everyone's dream. You know, you've got like the nice house, you got the nice family, your business owner, you can pick your own hours and do what you want, work when you want, how you want it. She's got it made.
Speaker 3: And it was California they live, right la. Yeah, yeah, like dreams bought to live.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it was a nice work life balance pretty much through and through love.
Speaker 3: That so I hope to get there one day.
Speaker 2: One day, one day. Yeah. No, she was being able to like just decide when she was going to help Peter her with the salons and when she devoted her time at the household. Like it was. It was beautiful, perfect, something to strive for. I can tell you that right now. But as we all know, things aren't always what they seem.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, that's very much so a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, as I alluded to, she already kind of like second guessing her life choices. Right. So, Peter and Betty ran into some difficulties in their marriage. Only small fights broke out here and there, but they progressively grew into more intense altercations. As far as I could tell, nothing ever got physical, but I mean it was arguments. It was abrasiveness within the marriage, right so, never a good thing, not necessarily a sign of detriment by any means, but not enjoyable.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when people tell me they don't fight. I'm just like, there's something wrong with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, I mean, people are different. No matter how well you get alone.
Speaker 3: And you're living under the same roof, you're going to have a disagreements every once in a while.
Speaker 2: With rite life, it's like, do the fucking dishes for once, they did five days in a row, like that sort of shit.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, that's actually happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, on more than one occasion.
Speaker 3: Then it's actually the one that does the dishes more often.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much so, So maybe you should do some fucking dishes once in a while.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, kidding, Wow, you're gonna get rained on.
Speaker 2: I was joking. Come on. Anyways, moving on, particularly Peter particularly, things got a little bit more intense after Peter had hired a new secretary for one of their salons. Now, Joan Rabble was her name, and she had a colorful past. She was born in Philadelphia in nineteen seventeen, but she had traveled most of America by now, and she'd walked through peter salon doors in of course, nineteen fifty seven when this takes place. Now, she had been married and divorced and was a successful photographer writer, and she liked to get a lot of her inspiration for her tales through her travels, and she had many exotic tales to tell of her life when she came to the Fabiano's shop for a job. Okay, Now, Peter liked Joan right off the get go and what she had to say, so we hired her almost on the spot, and of course it wasn't long before he introduced her to Betty, and it didn't take much time for Joan to become the heart of the problem between Betty and Peter. But probably not in the way that you're thinking. Okay, So I just want to say this right now, whereabout is your head at them? Where you think these problems lied.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty basic that they had an affair of sorts, or their flirt network or the wife. Who's the which one's the wife? Sorry, Joan or Betty or Betty?
Speaker 2: Peter and Betty are the married couple.
Speaker 3: That Betty's just a little jealous of Joan. Maybe she's a looker.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, you're half right, let's put it that way. Okay, yeah, I'll touch you. I'll fill you in on here in just one second. So I get Yes, you're there, but you're there's a curve ball coming at the same time. So Joan was with the couple quite a lot. She worked with them at least one of them during the day, sometimes both, and they often invited her over for dinner in the evenings. So Joan got really close with them, and when things got rocky between Peter and Betty, Betty actually moved in with Joan.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yeah, Oh dude, they have an affair.
Speaker 2: And Joan made the moves on Betty. Okay, okay, so you're right, but you're wrong with who. Yeah, yes, okay, So actually we don't really know who made the first moves per se, but newspapers at the time would later describe Joan and Betty's relationship as quote abnormal whatever that meant. But remember this is nineteen fifties, right, So now, when Peter realized what was going on in their relationship behind the scenes, he had a choice to make, and he chose to make it clear that he wanted Betty back.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 2: So Betty took a hard, long look at her life and she decided that what she wanted was Joan to go back to her husband.
Speaker 3: Oh Okay, she left Joan. Man, I'm not doing well with my guessing right now, not really, I'm failing.
Speaker 2: Maybe the next guest. I don't know if there's another guest in here, I can't recall, but if there's another one, we'll put you to the test.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we don't obviously know exactly what was going on in everyone's mind at the time, but judging by what Joan went on to do after Betty left her for Peter, Joan was clearly heartbroken.
Speaker 3: Okay, even if.
Speaker 2: Things did go back to normal for a while, though now Peter did make it very clear that Betty had to cut all ties with Joan, she was no longer working at the salon, and everyone seemed to move on with their lives, at least for.
Speaker 3: A while, rightfully. So really, oh definitely. I mean in order for their marriage to work, I think that would have.
Speaker 2: To be well, yeah, I think if anyone is having an affair, yeah, and I think it's very understandable for the party to who that's reconnecting to say, okay, we need to set boundaries. There was an affair, that person that you had an affair with to be excluded from our relationship. For us to continue, that's totally understandable. And first off, perrops to Peter for being able to actually.
Speaker 3: Take it right now, for that's that is actually amazing.
Speaker 2: Good on him. Yeah, so things were better between Peter and Betty and Joan had moved on to someone else, and that someone else was Goldene Piser. Goldean was a forty two year old lab assistant who'd also been in a failed marriage and was just beginning to understand and explore her own sexuality when she met Joan. Now they'd actually known each other for a few years before nineteen fifty seven, but it was right after Betty left Joan that Goldean and her became really good friends.
Speaker 3: Ok.
Speaker 2: And Goldean, in a later interview, used the words coffee clatch to describe her friendship with Joan, And this apparently comes from a German word called I'm going to try and pronounce this. This is German, remember kafn klatches, which means coffee and gossip.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, so well done.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I probably butchered it, but I do not speak German. If you can't tell, it's not my first, second, third, or fourth language.
Speaker 3: That was about a hundred times better than what I would do, So props to you.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, prior to us turning on the microphones, I was just singing Ramstein, so that might have warmed me up.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, our little pre show rituals or sometimes something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, a lot of times you can catch those pre show rituals in an actual pre show we post on Patreon. So yeah, little little note.
Speaker 3: You should do a video of it too. Half the time one of us is wandering around dancing or trying to get our like, I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Is that called energy or mojo flowing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyways, we digress. It was coffee and gossip that she described it, Asky, So they would spend hours together, either at a cafe or at each other's house, talking over a cup of coffee and slowly but surely developing the relationship. I'll just leave it with that now. Joan started telling Goldeen everything that had happened between her and Betty. According to her, all the blame for her failing relationship was on one person and one person only, the quote evil Peter Fabiano oh Man. So over the next three months, Joan told Goldeen over and over and what a terrible man, an awful husband. Peter Fabiano was Joan said that he used and dealt in narcotics. She said that he mistreated Betty and how she just wanted to get her old friend Betty out of the horrible marriage and away from that abusive man. So she painted him in an absolutely horrible light. Yeah, did whatever she could to get Goldeen onto her side.
Speaker 3: But really, from like me, I mean, I don't know everything, but just an outsider, he doesn't seem terrible.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. I mean there was some and there's nothing confirmed, mind you, but there was some talk of a potential minor abuse in the relationship. I don't think it was physical. I do think it was a bit mental. By this sounds of it verbal. Mental. Yeah, However, any of that sort of stuff was reconciled as again as far as I can tell, when they were getting back together. So, I mean, everyone has their fault. That's probably what drove them apart, and then coming back together they're resolving it, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, but then also too, lots of times if you're talking to a friend about a relationship, I mean you're venting to them, right, and lots of times more of the negative things come out than the positives too. So true, she could not even know the full picture.
Speaker 2: Yep. So regardless, though, her stories were more than enough to convince Goldean to help her take care of him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that sounds scary.
Speaker 2: So on September twenty first, Goldean went to a shop in Pasadena where she ordered a thirty eight millimeter miss and Wesson pistol. Yes, she told the man behind the counter that she wanted it for home protection and that she only wanted two bullets for it. A few days later, Joan dropped by Goldine's house in a car she had borrowed from a friend. She gave Goldean the money for the gun and then drove her back to Pasadena to collect it. The two then made their way to Peter and Betty's home in the valley, and they staked it out. I'm picturing like classic, like parked in the side of the upper side of the road, like you know, ducking down in the dim light sort of thing. That's pretty much what they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all dressed in black kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't know for sure that's how it played out, but that's pretty much the sum of what they were doing, right, good visual driving by and watching that sort of thing. Yeah, now knowing what the horrible man Peter looked like, Golden waited until the time was right to make her move, and that time was Halloween night on nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 3: Oh. I feel like any incident that's scary like this that happens on Hallo Halloween night just amplifies the scariness. Ey. Oh, definitely, like it's terrifying one percent.
Speaker 2: I mean, if Halloween's not scary enough for some people, hearing something like this definitely would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Joan borrowed a friend's car again, and then she headed over to Golden's house to pick her up. Now, in Goldene's own words, she said this, Joan came over to my house with some clothing, blue jeans, khaki jackets, hats, iemasks, makeup, and red gloves. We dressed up, got in the car and drove to Fabiano's home, arriving there about nine pm. So strange outfits, more of a disguise of some sort than really a costume. But they're just throwing on whatever they had to look strange and kind of fit in with Halloween.
Speaker 3: Again, right, And my brain sorry, I'm like totally listen to you, but I'm just like, this is so unnecessary.
Speaker 2: It is. But also, remember the conversation we had the other day about the urban legends also taking place, I believe it in the fifties. Wasn't it the one Halloween massacre that was proven to be false? Okay, yeah, how people are making their own costumes and everything. That's exactly what they're doing here.
Speaker 3: Oh not necessarily a costumes though, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, I just wanted to point that out. Okay, the costume part is falling in line with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see, yeah, but yeah, I know, this.
Speaker 2: Whole thing, trust me, definitely unnecessary. Anyways, so they dressed up in their Halloween costumes. Golden and Joan waited outside, sitting in the borrowed car until all the lights in the Fabiano home went out and the streets went quiet. It was then that Golding made her move. It was just a little past eleven pm when Golding walked up to the Fabiano's door and knocked. Sorry, I just wanted to add that in there. No one answered, so she waited a little bit and knocked again.
Speaker 3: If that was me, I wouldn't fucking answer either, There's no way in hell.
Speaker 2: Well, this time, she could hear movement behind the door. Okay, and it was Peter. He'd been in bed, laying going to sleep with Betty when they both heard the first knock, and he thought about leaving it, just like you're talking about. But it was Halloween. He figured it was just some late trick of treaters.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So with.
Speaker 2: The second knock, he got out of bed, made his way downstairs, picked up the bowl of candy, and headed for the door. Oh no, He opened the door to expect to see a trick of treat yep, and he saw Goldeen in her costume, standing there with a brown paper bag in her hand, and he asked her. It's a little late for this, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Counts differ on whether Golden actually answered him or not, but some say she simply answered no, while others say that she said something to him as he opened the door. What we do know, though, is that Betty heard two voices from upstairs in her bedroom.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: She later said that one of them sounded like a man's voice and the other had sounded like a man pretending to be a woman and then she heard a loud pop.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, so she's like two voices aside from her hubbies.
Speaker 2: That was never clarified as far as I could tell.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I need clarification. Sorry here, Joan is the one that was with Betty, yes, but she's not even the one at the door.
Speaker 2: Joan is currently in the car on the side of the road. Oh, Goldeane was in the car with Joan, and now Goldeane went up to the door.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that's not his thought. But then I also was thinking, I just assumed it would have been Joan going up to the door. So that's okay, she really convinced this person, she did. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyways, when Peter had opened the door and offered gold Dean some candy, Goldean had put both hands inside the paper bag that she was holding and lifting it up. Now, I'm sure he only assumed this was going to be her trigg or treat bag, right, But she instead pointed the bag directly at his chest, and what he couldn't see was the gun that was inside.
Speaker 3: Yep, brutal.
Speaker 2: So Goldean pointed it at his chest and pulled the trigger and the bullet hit Peter just below the heart and he hit the ground.
Speaker 3: Iikes, would Peter have known gold Dean then? No, okay, this would have been a complete stranger to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The month prior, on September twenty first, when Joan drove by the house with Goldean, that was to show Goldean who they were. And he's the evil man and he's the one.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, okay, So they had never met.
Speaker 2: It was just Goldiane staking out the house when she learned who he was, right, yeah, And of course all the talk and everything through Joan and the stories.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So after the loud quote pop, Golding took off, racing back to the car and her and Joan quickly drove away. But inside the house things were far from finished. Hearing the sound of the gun going off and not knowing what it was, both Betty and her daughter Judy came rushing downstairs to find Peter laying on his back by the front door, bleeding out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Betty frantically tried to help him, and Judy ran to one of the neighbor's houses for help. The neighbor was Bud Alpert, a member of the lapd Okay, and Judy knew that Bud wouldn't know what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good neighbor to have, eh.
Speaker 2: Definitely if any sort of authorities or your neighbor. I mean, that's quick and easy access. It's glorious. However, it was the middle of the night, Bud was sleeping, so it took a few minutes of banging on his door to wake him up. But once he answered the door and realized what was going on, he jumped into action and took over the scene. Okay, he called the ambulance, followed by police officers, and Peter was quickly rushed to hospital.
Speaker 3: Oh, I hope he lives.
Speaker 2: We'll touch on that shortly. The only witnesses of the murder other than Peter's family hearing the incident from inside the house, was a fifteen year old boy who'd heard the gunshot and seen the getaway cars speeding down the street. Police were left with very few clues as they tried to process this scene and figure out what was going on, and unfortunately, Peter died in the hospital from severe blood loss.
Speaker 3: I was thinking that because you did say the murder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this left investigators with no one able to identify the shooter.
Speaker 3: Dang Wow. Okay, I was kind of thinking he'd lived, to be honest. See here I am again like, gosh, this whole story, I just can't predict whatsomever.
Speaker 2: There was potential because it did miss his heart right, so there was potential. But however, there was severe blood loss, and it could have been that it was to an artery. I couldn't find that. But I mean, he did bleed out so well.
Speaker 3: And then it does seem like there was a bit of time to where it makes his chances less, right, Oh, definitely with him, like having to go wake offa or the daughter, wake up the police officer, and then getting him to the hospital and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. And one of the problems too is it's not in a limb, it's inside the torso, right, So if you are say shot in the arm, and it does hit an artery and you are bleeding out, you can put pressure and tie that off. You can stop the bleeding out. Shot in the chest, you can't just put pressure on the chest. He's now bleeding internally, so he's still going to bleed out, right, dang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he really didn't have much of a chance.
Speaker 2: So what he needed was medical attention, someone getting in there. Surge at stamp.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So all while this was going on, while he was bleeding out, while investigators were frantically trying to figure out what was going on, Golden and Joan drove back to a friend's where they dropped the car back off. A statement would be collected from Golden later, where it had her stating, we left the car on the street, separated, and walked to our homes. Joan said, forget you ever saw me?
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: It was then clear to Goldean that Joan had no intentions, oh ever seeing her again.
Speaker 3: Shit, yes, that is some ultimate betrayal.
Speaker 2: Yes. And it was right then and there that she realized this is pretty much on her shoulders and she was still left one big problem. She still had the murder weapon.
Speaker 3: Holy heck. And like in her mind, she's probably like, man, the person I just killed, is he really that bad? Because this person I thought was good as a monster?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? Oh? Pretty much?
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, I'm getting up, I'm making Ripley upset.
Speaker 2: It's all good. She feeds off your energy, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah she does. So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she knew that she was if she was caught with this gun, this murder weapon, she wouldn't be able to defend or explain herself in any way, right, So what she did. Her solution was she went to a nearby grocery store and rented out a locker. She left the gun inside it, and she probably thought that was that, or at least she hoped she did. But even with all of Joan's planning, the police would soon be closing in mm hm. And they would be closing in because when they asked if her husband had any enemies, Betty quickly gave them the name.
Speaker 3: Joan Rabble and then Joan rats out her friend instantly. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Well, they brought Joan in for questioning, but Joan played it cool and gave them absolutely nothing.
Speaker 3: Okay, here again, just don't listen, and my predictions are just at the fucking lunch here.
Speaker 2: You're way off course on a lot of this.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this case is just not predictable or if I'm tired, or what the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, you did, you did get one thing right here that we'll be touching on here shortly, So just just hold hold onto your panty here. There was no physical evidence to tie Joan to the scene, so they couldn't hold her they had to let her go. But everything changed when investigators received an anonymous tip about a certain locker in a certain grocery store. Okay, now this anonymous tip again it is I mean, it's anonymous. Yeah, but I'm pretty sure we can guess who made.
Speaker 3: It, Joan, you think, Joe, I don't know. That's what I think. But maybe I should say someone else because my guess.
Speaker 2: Has been streat Well, that's not who i'd guess. You'll change your mind here. Shortly acting on the tip, the authority searched the locker and found the murder wapping laying inside. Of course, it was easy to find who the locker belonged to once they trailed the rental information, and it of course led them straight to Goldeing. Okay, now, when approached by police, Goldine was more than ready to talk, and she started confessing almost as soon as the police walked through her door.
Speaker 3: Which honestly will do better for her in the long run for sentencing definitely and all that. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Goldean had time to think about what she'd done, and now out from under jones influence for quite a few days, Goldean had realized that she had been completely played and manipulated.
Speaker 3: And that she fucked up big. Yes, she took someone's life for God's.
Speaker 2: Sake, exactly. So earlier you did mention that Goldean would realize that she was being controlled. Yeah, so right on that. But I mean, again, it was an anonymous call. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Goldean was the one who called it.
Speaker 3: That tip for the Oh okay, that wasn't going to be my second guest, just to kind of get this rolling where she could start confessing, hey, and getting it off her chest.
Speaker 2: Yes, she couldn't. She couldn't contain it. She realized she was used, and yeah, she's pretty much confessing. So police brought her back for questioning, and she began to tell them everything that happened. She told him that Joan had said everything and all these evil things about Peter Fabiano. She told him about how Joan asked her to kill him, and she'd driven Goldeine down to buy the gun and even paid for it herself.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Then Golden admitted that she didn't even know Peter or really have any reason to kill him on her own. Her exact words were, quote, I had no motive personally, whatever motive I had was to please Joan. I was always easily influenced. I had been impressionable and was always trusting.
Speaker 3: That's kind of sad, hey.
Speaker 2: It really is. She was completely taken advantage of, like one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and I mean she probably thought that, like they were kind of in a relationship of sorts, right, and that's exactly what they loved each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's almost heartbreaking, really it is. You feel bad for her, but then a step back, she still murdered someone.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true, But Joan, she was using, You're like a marionette puppet Jones, being a big old I mean, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: She was a bitch, she was, yeah, terrible. Yeah, and it also sounded too like Goldane was kind of in a place in her life where she was trying to rebuild almost right, and the very susceptible to something like this.
Speaker 2: Through and through with that nail enough.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, gosh, that's so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, with the confessions and evidence that followed, authorities had enough to arrest and charge both of them. Joan wouldn't admit to anything and barely spoke to investigators, but they had everything they needed from gold Dean's confessions, and the pair were taken to court. Whether you're both pleaded guilty, sorry, not guilty both really my mistake on that. Amazingly enough, the prosecutor had them psychologically examined to make sure that they were able to stand for their plea and they were sane enough to stand trial. Now, the reason for this was again we're going back to the nineteen fifth these when homosexuality was considered a mental illness.
Speaker 3: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at the time of the prosecution, the prosecution they actually wanted to find out if they could even build a case against either of them, or if they should just send them to a mental institution.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, wait a minute, they're gay, should they be in straight jackets? That's pretty much their thought process, which is like, holy fuck, that's brutal.
Speaker 3: That's disturbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. So that's nice to see we've progressed at least a little. But since then, yes, yep, doctors however, did find both of them fit to stand trial. Okay, but they did also confirm a part of Goldin's experiences and in the evaluation of Goldean, the psychiacts. Sorry, psychiatrists wrote this quote The only thought she had was that she was saving her friend Joan Rabble from an evil person. She became a handy tool or putty in the hands of miss Rabble.
Speaker 3: Hmmm. Wow. So I mean people are they're seeing what happened, they're believing it and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So I'm very curious to know what the fuck happens with like sentencing and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, for Joanes, she was diagnosed with apparently having schizoid personality, but I was still found well enough to go to court.
Speaker 3: That doesn't surprise me, because she seems literally like a beach.
Speaker 2: Just because you're a beyach doesn't mean you're quote schizoid.
Speaker 3: Well no, no, not at all. But I already think that she was like, I'm not a fan of her, and the fact that she's that that evil. I was like, something has to be like not quite right.
Speaker 2: You know, she's dealing with some mental issues potentially. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not that I think you have mental issues. You're beyond that is not what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Like I know plenty of people without mental issues who are still biaces, trust me, probably more, probably more. Anyways, by then, both of the women had changed their pleas Golding went down the insanity route, and Joan pleaded guilty to second degree murder. Okay, many people looking back at Joan's sudden change in her stance, they saw her not wanting to receive a harsher sentence because of being homosexual. She was still which was still illegal at the time, and it could have actually influenced her trial. Oh okay, yeah, but either way, they were both found guilty of second degree murder. As a result of the trial, they both received a life sentence with a minimum of five years, and from there, Joan kind of disappears from the history books. There's no record of when or if she ever was ever released, but we do know that Goldine was and in nineteen seventy one she was released, and fourteen years after the murder, she was an officer at the Professional Women's Club in Miracle Mile and she spent the rest of her life in Los Angeles before she died in nineteen ninety eight at the age of eighty three.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm glad that they both got the same because that was what I was worried that Golden would get more than Joan.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I mean she was definitely the one who pulled the trigger. So I can understand the concern forgetting more. I mean, I it's right that she got the same, but I'm almost at the same time like hoping she got less because she was so manipulated.
Speaker 3: You know, hoping. But then she still she did the.
Speaker 2: Act exactly, she still committed the murder. So it's like, yeah, no, that's totally fair. I can one hundred percent respect that she should be serving time. Yes, yes, Now it's also a little tricky to pin down what happened to Betty Fabiano afterwards. We know she sold the businesses after Peter had died, but some accounts say that she remarried in nineteen sixty six. Now some say she didn't remarry. Some also say that she played a part in Peter's death, but there's little to no evidence to prove that. We know that she also died in her eighties, but she moved to Palm Desert, California, where she passed away at the age of eighty one. All in all, other than what was found in the court process, it's unclear of just how much of a role any of the women were really involved in this case. I mean, of course, we do know that Joan manipulated Golden, but we don't really know to what degree, and we don't know if Betty was really involved. What we do know is it was kind of like a messy love triangle situation that caught the better of multiple emotions. And for some they were simply trying to make sense of the world that refused to make sense of them, and for others it may have simply been revenge. Who knows. For whatever the reason, this story has left more than a few people broken hearted.
Speaker 3: Though that theory Betty being involved is very interesting.
Speaker 2: It is, but again, there's no evidence zip because.
Speaker 3: You have to wonder, Like I mean, it's a possibility that she decided to have gone back to him, being that the world wasn't very open to her situation and she wasn't happy, and like she was the one behind this. Not saying I could see it, not saying that's what happened by any means, but I could see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there could be some like we sit here and we look and we say, oh, Joan was pulling all the strings behind the scene, Well, what if Betty was pulling Joan's strings because Joan was pulling Golden.
Speaker 3: Joan was obsessed with Betty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so who knows. Yeah, all we know is that at the cost of one man's life, this literally created the most infamous murder tied to the spooky Halloween season in American history, that would go down in history known as the Trick or Treat murders.
Speaker 3: Wow, huh yeah, way to end Halloween Week.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a good one to end off on.
Speaker 3: Very much though it was actually very interesting.
Speaker 2: So what was your favorite episode from Halloween Week?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, am I allowed to look at them all? I don't even know if I can remember.
Speaker 2: Off the top of your head. I'm surprised you're not just going with the three urban legends right away.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 2: Oh could you forget about it?
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's all a blur. I can't even We need to go through what we've done. Come on, please bring them up.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, bring them up. I'll bring it up right now. Give us talk some entertainment while I'm pulling this up on Spotify.
Speaker 3: Oh, we all know that I'm not very good at talk and entertainment.
Speaker 2: Here, you can do it. I believe in you.
Speaker 3: Oh, what's okay? What's everyone's favorite Halloween candy. That's a good Halloween snap. I got these really cool KitKat like they were spooky kit cats or something. And so they're like shaped is what are they shaped as?
Speaker 2: Like little monsters?
Speaker 3: And yeah, they're freaking delicious.
Speaker 2: I was actually just talking the other day how slept on, Oh Henry bars are. They're actually fucking delicious.
Speaker 3: They're good, So they're good.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I got the list of here.
Speaker 3: I just have to say to finish this off. The only really Halloween County treat I don't love as Smarties. Oh also the emin ms that are just normal eminems. I like the pen and m and ms.
Speaker 2: You might want to pronounce peanuts a little more and not precisely.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Anyways, what we covered so far was the Man with a Thousand Facesmyosuna scary shit, the hands resist him. The haunted paintings Booky, the Hungarian vampire Bella Kiss Oh god. Yeah, three Urban Legends version two Haunted places around the world.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 2: The Alice killings.
Speaker 3: I already forget what that is.
Speaker 2: You forget what the alice? The playing cards oh shit. Yeah, and then of course today the trick or Treat murders.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would definitely have to say Urban Legends because that shit's just fun. And I did like going around the world. The haunted spooky locations around the world is kind of fun too.
Speaker 2: Those are definitely fun. I do have to say, though, Jami Osuna, the Man with a Thousand Faces, that was that was a ride and head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I do like this one too. I mean I like them all, don't get me wrong, I like them all. This one I found kind of interesting as well. But we'll do a post of sorts, say, and see what other people's favorites are. It's kind of neat for us to know.
Speaker 2: We'll learn too, definitely. So if you want to go see that post, head over to our social media Instagram, Facebook, you name it, all our links in the description below. You can check us out on Patreon. We can get some behind the scenes content. And also if you just want to do us a favor and you don't want to go sign up for Patreon or anything like that, you can leave us a review that totally helps the show, helps us get our name out there a little bit more helps, so we would definitely appreciate that. But with all of that wrapped up, that's a wrap that is Halloween Week.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So just like last year, we're gonna hand this off.
Speaker 3: Take it away, Jacko.
Speaker 1: With what can only be described as the blink of an eye, the second annual Hallowing Week has come and gone. It has been a pleasure these past seven days to serve you as your master of ceremonies through these tales of Halloweing Week. Of course, I must return to my slumber once again, But don't be sad. I am always around in spirit. And if you light a single candle and listen closely to the flame flicker in the melting wax, you might just hear my voice. You might just hear my laugh. Until next time, stay wicked.