Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: There was a gunman who hijacked a metro bus and led the lapd on a pretty wild chase very early this morning, but it ended with one of the passengers having been killed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For more than an hour, a bunch of black and whites followed this bus as it made its way from Vermont Knowles in South Alay North into downtown. Police were able to use spike strips on the tires surrounded it with a swat team about two am, and that put a stop to this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Started when the suspect got on the bus, argued with the driver, shot a passenger as others on the bus ran out nine one one began to light.
Speaker 3: Up flood of call to dispatchers.
Speaker 1: Bus driver hits the panic button and triggers the emergency message like you said on the light display.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Eventually, the spike strips debilitated the bus to the point where I couldn't go any farther obviously, when they stopped near Alami and Sixth, that's when police stormed inside with shields. One of the passengers was able to escape through a window as police came into the bus. Video showed the bus driver climbing out of a window and run into safety behind an armored vehicle that was out in front of it. They still have not yet exactly said why the person got on the bus in the first place, why he would have shot somebody, but they did find one passenger suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.
Speaker 5: No one else was injured.
Speaker 1: Well, Miss Amy King has an exciting weekend coming up, to say the least terrifying weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: You want to go, I will watch your You're gonna go instagram live on this.
Speaker 3: We're gonna we'll definitely be putting out a video. I don't know if I want it live, Okay, So tell everyone what's going to go on. So we're going over the edge.
Speaker 4: We're raising money to help out the Union Rescue Mission. I'll be repelling twenty five stories down the Universal Hilden you know, the big black hotel on top of the hill by Universal Studios. Yes, yeah, so you know why not go jump off that? But we're doing it for a really good cause. In it's to actually help people who are homeless, not just throw money at them. But Union Rescue Mission eighty six cents out of every dollar you donate goes right to them. They feed tons of people, and they also have housing programs like to get people into housing and then help them transition, like help them get a ged, help them get a job, and get them back into society. So it's why we're behind this particular organization. They get no government funding because they have dry shelters. That means no drugs and alcohol in their shelters, so they're all privately funded. It's crazy, yeah, and we're trying to raise money. And I got to tell you, Neil just jumped ahead of me in fundraising and I'm kind of ticked.
Speaker 3: Where do I go?
Speaker 4: I'll fix it right now. Okay, just help one dot org. Just just help the number one dot org. And there's a Team iHeart page and then you can look at team members and there's Amy and there's Neil and a couple other people with Ihearted doing it. And if you can make a donation, we'd love it. If it's a big one, great, if it's a little one great, whatever you can do, we appreciate it. And I'm going over the edge Friday at three pm.
Speaker 3: You could come by and watch if you want.
Speaker 4: So anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated. And of course we would love to get more people off the street. So you can't help all of them. There's too many. But you can't just help one. There you are, Okay, I'm gonna fix this right now. Just help the number one dot org.
Speaker 2: So were you just standing on top of the building and then someone said, hey, if you're up here, we have an idea.
Speaker 5: Maybe we could turn this into a charity event or.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I did watch tom cruise repel into the stadium at the Olympics, and I thought that looks fun.
Speaker 5: That may and perfect sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then the Union Rescue Mission said, hey, you guys, we're doing this fundraiser.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well the best of luck. Thank you again. Just help the Number one Just help one dot org. Look for the Team iHeart page and then find Amy King.
Speaker 3: I'm putting you over Neil right now.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks, Shannon, I can't have that, I know, right, He'll be on the show in a half an hour to get back at.
Speaker 3: Me right well.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Also will remind everybody because we're gonna be live at our news and bruise at Bjay's Restaurant and brew House in Huntington Beach on Beach Boulevard, and we'll make sure that we remind everybody again tomorrow. Okay, you appreciate it all right when we return. There's a lot of a lot of secrets about these Disney people. And I'm not looking at you, Amy, but I'm totally looking at you. Have you been to Club thirty three? Oh, don't say it like.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, she she spent some time there. She's not just been there one time. She us still like, hang out there? What what are you looking at? I believe she may have prolonged a relationship to hang out there. No, I did not prolong their relationship to hang out there.
Speaker 5: It sounds like there's a story, and we'll do that when we come back.
Speaker 3: Oh darn, I gotta leave right after this.
Speaker 1: I love Disneyland when it comes to a couple things. I don't love all these strollers, but I do love the nostalgia and I love hearing the details of the secrets of Disneyland. And there is a couple that's been banned from Disneyland they're suing and they're spilling all of these secret details. Diana and Scott Anderson are their names, and they estimate they've spent about a million dollars living out their dreams at Disneyland. Now they're both sixty years old, and from twenty twelve to twenty seventeen they were members of Club thirty three.
Speaker 3: Of course, not a lot.
Speaker 1: You don't know a lot about Club thirty three unless you're privy to somebody who's been inside, and even then people are very cagy about what goes on. It's the exclusive private lounge where the wealthiest disney Files escape the crowd. You can have cocktails, there's gourmet meals.
Speaker 3: These two, this couple, they.
Speaker 1: Said they would visit Disneyland as many as eighty times a year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and blow all kinds of money.
Speaker 2: Think of the thousands of dollars that they're spending on hotel rooms, food and drink transportation. They're paying for access to the special events, including dining in the Haunted Mansion.
Speaker 5: Ride.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you could do that, but for twenty five hundred bucks the New Year's Eve parties.
Speaker 1: They say their social circle revolved around friends they had met at Club thirty three. In fact, after twelve years on a waiting list, they were finally invited to join Club thirty three and twenty twelve. They paid fifty thousand dollars in sign on fees and dues their first year for a Platinum pass, which gave them guest passes to bring along their family and friends. And this is where their social circle revolved, they said. But it all came to a crashing halt when their membership was terminated in twenty seventeen because the husband, Scott, was accused of being drunk inside a Disneyland park. He says he was suffering from a medical condition vestibular migrainevestibular thank you, which causes disneyness. So they sued to be reinstated. They've lost that legal battle that went on for seven years, and now they face a huge legal bill and exile from Disneyland.
Speaker 2: So they said, the first four years, like you said, joined in twenty twelve Club thirty three. They paid fifty thousand and sign on fees. The first four years were bliss. They mingled with Hollywood A listers. In twenty seventeen, they said, the magic began to fade. Prices went up quality decline and ms Anderson was suspended for using salty language.
Speaker 1: Yes, she said she had been drinking at the bar when their alcohol service was suddenly cut off after her friend split her mirmosa. I'm sure there was more than one split mimosa involved with her salty language. Apparently she complained to the manager and said the words to the effect of what the f is going on? The suspension was swift came immediately on the night their membership was terminated the same year, twenty seventeen, the husband, Scott, says he was with fifteen to twenty friends at Club thirty three, that he had two beers and a glass of wine over three hours. Right at nine point thirty, he was found slumped on a park bench by two security guards. They reported back to Club thirty three management that he smelled of alcohol he was slurring his words. They were terminated on the spot. The jury took just forty five minutes of deliberating to rule against them. Yet, you don't get to go to Disneyland, get drunk and ruin Club thirty three and you know, be slurring your words on a park bench in front of children and a jury in Orange County take your side.
Speaker 3: That's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: I've heard of people. I think my I think my wife knew some.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody who has an official membership to Club thirty three, but I I mean, I'm sure I do at some point. It's just not something I asked about.
Speaker 1: This couple claimed that eighty percent of the members sold access to the club in return for dinner, drinks or one hundred and fifty dollars in cash. Other members would buy Club thirty three merchandise polo shirts, napkins, handbags, mugs and sell it online at a markup.
Speaker 2: And they said that Disney staff members would monitor a private Facebook page for Club thirty three members, and if members complained on that private page, they would face repercussions in the park, they said, celebrity members were afforded special treatment. You know why, because they're celebrities. They were able to flout the strict rules, like Rebel Wilson. For example, she revealed last year that she'd been suspended from the club for taking pictures in the bathroom and joked that membership was being was akin to being a member of the Disney Illuminati. The other there is one Thanksgiving Diane and Scott said that they were having lunch in Club thirty three and it was closed at short notice. The dining room was so that Tom Hanks and his family could have a private dinner.
Speaker 1: Scott Anderson said he sued Disney because he believed his integrity had been maligned. I became known as the drunk in the park. Missus Anderson. Diana now sees Club thirty three as a cult. We all laugh and we go, God, we were in a cult. We didn't even know it.
Speaker 3: You guys are ass hats.
Speaker 1: That's what you are. I defend Disney. There is a new report on the state of parenting in America. Also, why is childcare so expensive? We've got a lot of stories about that as well.
Speaker 5: Residents of Wyoming have the most positive outlook on life.
Speaker 2: That makes sense to determine where states land on the scale of optimism and seeing the bowl half full instead of half empty. A yogurt brand did a study with the support of a group called Wakefield Research, and your Optimism Index score would range from zero to ten based on ten different metrics, including how likely you were to persevere in challenging situations, how often you exercised, how often you eat a healthy breakfast things like that. Okay, yeah, yeah, Maryland was number five, okay, where Alabama was number four. New Jersey was number three, California was number two. Wow, and then Wyoming number one.
Speaker 1: Kathy just sent me some pictures. I love burger wars, don't you. It's always so much fun. So two days ago, USA Today comes out with the best fast food burgers in America, and the number one spot was Habit.
Speaker 3: Number two was in and Out.
Speaker 1: Now both based in California, of course, but now everyone knows the in and out in your Lax, right. The billboard went up the same day that this survey came out, and the billboard right outside the In and Out at Lax says congrats on being number two in and Out, and then the Habit logo and the Habit girl or whatever. And then they took out also a a backpage at a full ad in the paper deer in and Out, and there's a big trophy that says number two. There's so much emphasis on winning in today's society. Let's take a beat to celebrate the silver medalists, the runners up. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Burger options out there, and yours was just voted number two by USA to Day's ten Best Number two. That's pretty darn good. So here's to you, in and out. Congrats on number two. Your friends, Habit Burger and growth.
Speaker 5: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: It's not wonderful. I love a healthy competition.
Speaker 5: So that statistic that.
Speaker 2: We were talking about was that of the twelve shows that won Primetime Emmys just a couple weeks ago, two of them Hacks on HBO Max Hacks and Apple TV's The Morning Show. Those two are the only two to have been filmed in California.
Speaker 1: Other states and countries have been ramping up incentives to arrest productions away from California, and it's working. This is a warning sign that we are no longer the worldwide leader in entertainment.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things that we have done as a result we being California is right now we have a three hundred and thirty million dollar film and Television tax credit program, which offers studios and producers credits of up to twenty five million based on eligible spending of twenty to thirty percent on productions in the state. But we may need to triple the size of our program and expand the types of productions that can apply for this. Just give you an idea of recently, the the movie Wicked that is coming out later this year was filmed almost entirely in the UK. All of the Marvel movies, Think Avengers, Captain America, all those, most of that is based in Georgia. Barbie, for example, another huge movie that came out last couple of years, filmed.
Speaker 5: Almost entirely in London.
Speaker 2: TV show Why Master Chef, you know, the Gordon Ramsay show that's going to be outside the United States for the first time. It's going to be out of La the Floor, the game show Beat Shazam, the game show named that tune. They're all now shot in Ireland as part of a production deal that was formed a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: So how do we get this? What exactly happened? They said that.
Speaker 2: A time when Hollywood's working class has already seen its financial reserves drained by the strikes from last year, a bunch of these major production houses are setting up shops in other states, even other countries, which generates frustration for crew workers find it harder than ever to find employment during COVID For example, I knew a guy who was working set construction. He picked up and moved for two full years because of the restrictions on productions here in the state of California, specifically with COVID. If you look at the Employment Development Department, the information sectors of the largest monthly decline in jobs from July to August, largely because of the motion picture and sound recording industries. Jobs dropped by four thousand to under one hundred thousand. That's about four and a half percent higher than the total job count a year ago at the peak of the writers and actors strikes. And then you had, of course contract negotiations between IATZI and the teamsters that took place, and everybody was mad because they didn't trust the workers and studios to actually follow through on the promises that they were supposedly asking for or making.
Speaker 5: Say.
Speaker 1: One of the major factors is the question of above the line pay. California does not permit productions to include the salaries of actors, directors, and other top talent towards any tax credits, but places like Georgia and the UK say that the above the line salaries can be deducted, which is a major reason why major films are going there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's real money.
Speaker 2: Not just the actors, but the types of shows. Because game shows, commercials, animated films, they're not eligible for those tax credits for the moment.
Speaker 3: Is this why you haven't hosted a game show recently?
Speaker 5: That is exactly the reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they went fly you to Georgia to do that.
Speaker 5: They would not right now.
Speaker 2: The issue of how much in total tax credit the state's the state allocates to eligible productions. Georgia does not have a cap on its tax credit program, which is why you're seeing some massive studios. Tyler Perry's billion dollar studio that's going up is in Georgia.
Speaker 5: A lot of the Amazon productions that we've seen.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at Jack Reacher, the new series on Amazon that was filmed entirely in Georgia. They said that Georgia has no cap on its tax credit program. New York increased its cap up to seven hundred million, and like I said, our tax credit program, despite the fact that we have a much larger industry, is still capped at three hundred and thirty million. The teamster's goal is to triple that amount, expand that to one billion, because if nothing else. It at least fits the scale of the production business here in the state of California. But that's going to be a hard sell because the state of California doesn't have any money. And I can't wait to see Gavenowsom walking around.
Speaker 5: The hallways today. I'd ask him more about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no pictures. Remember, Yeah, the it is beaten down the door.
Speaker 1: The Tampa International Airport's going to close at two am because of the hurricane.
Speaker 3: They're going to shut down the airport.
Speaker 5: I could see that.
Speaker 3: So that is going to snarl things if you're headed to the East coast or through any sort of Yeah, just check.
Speaker 1: I mean, airlines are already releasing different alerts for that. North Carolina has declared a state of emergency at COORDA ahead of Hurricane Helen touching down there. You've got Florida A and M, University of Tampa, Florida, State, University of Florida all have closed down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we're more than twenty four hours away from landfall.
Speaker 1: They said it could be a high end Category three with one hundred and twenty five mile per hour wins by the time it makes landfall tomorrow night.
Speaker 5: I guess that's good news, and that it's not a four or a five.
Speaker 1: It might be a category four. They said during Landfall last night at the end of the Dodgers Padres PA such a better call. It's always such a better call. Well, this was Joe Davis on KLA City.
Speaker 5: Smoke the third me Toronto steps on the back like all the way around and turn a triple play ten the game been impossible. I guess I would have been on sports and at LA.
Speaker 2: But still, I mean the Padres a triple play to end the games. But it's the first triple play in Padres for the Padres since twenty ten, I believe, and only the thirteenth or fourteenth in the history of the franchise. Guarantees their spot in the postseason. Now they're two games behind the Dodgers for the National League West title.
Speaker 1: Shout out to my buddies Adrian Garcia marquezcuse Me and Francisco Pinto, who are the Chargers play by play guys for the Espanol and they are outstanding. Sometimes I just try to listen to their broadcast, going their studio next door and just listen to the excitement and the emotion and those guys are exhausted.
Speaker 3: When they are done.
Speaker 1: Calling a game because of all, Yes, it's awesome to see it.
Speaker 2: Dodgers will take on the Padres again tonight at Dodgers Stadium. It is Clayton Kershaw Bobblehead Night tonight, First pitches, It's seven. Listen every play on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth.
Speaker 5: Stream all of.
Speaker 2: The games NHD on the iHeartRadio app and use that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. Well, we got a report from the Senate investigations into the attempt to say fascination of Donald Trump have revealed some pretty big security lapses, as if we didn't see them coming. The only questions of the questions, I should say, have only grown since then as we deal with this. The Secret Service was one of the last nine, one of at least nine federal and local security divisions that were supposed to be working together that day in Butler, Pennsylvania in July. But at that rally, young guy with a rifle borrowed from dad was able to outthink, out, smart, outmaneuver the cops for more than an hour and a half before he eventually fired the shots that came within millimeters of killing him. Forecasters warning that Hurricane Helene will intensify as it crosses the Gulf of Mexico on a path to Florida. National Hurricane Center said it's about five hundred miles southwest of Tampa right now. Sustained winds have reached eighty miles an hour. They said it's expected to become at least a Category three, with its center making landfall in the Big Bend area of the Panhandle as soon as late tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oakland won a title in five straight years in the seventies baseball's athletics in seventy two, seventy three, seventy.
Speaker 5: Four, Wind Is a Pirate, the.
Speaker 1: Raiders in seventy six, the Warriors in seventy five. All three teams played just steps apart at two venues surrounded by parking lots and a bart station.
Speaker 2: Now, I can't say they were the greatest venues for sports, but they were also built in the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 1: I loved the coliseum just because of the memories of going and seeing you know, Dennis Eckersley with his socks up to his knees and the easy going nature of going to an a's game where the players would sign autographs after.
Speaker 3: It was so much more user friendly.
Speaker 1: It's like a JV team kind of with the city, you know, being the forty nine Ers and the Giants, those were always It's like the Lakers and the Clippers kind of.
Speaker 3: But I loved going to the call.
Speaker 1: I love going to the Coliseum, even when I was working with the Chargers and the station was in complete shambles. I mean it would flood, they had rodents, the toilets backed up, all the wires were exposed in the belly of the stadium. I mean it was a total shole, but it was something that stood.
Speaker 3: From my childhood.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But anyway, how.
Speaker 2: Much time you spent at the Coliseum the arena, sorry, the Coliseum arena, which was the basketball arena.
Speaker 3: Ye had a couple games throughout my whole life.
Speaker 5: I saw a couple of concerts there, but I never saw games.
Speaker 3: I spent much more time in the coliseum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw plenty of baseball these baseball games, which is weird because I mean it's a town of just over four hundred thousand people. Now that's just that's not to say that a town of four hundred thousand people can't support a couple of Major League or few big League teams because obviously they're drawing from the entire Bay Area. But if you think about what has happened, obviously the Raiders moved to la for a while and then back to Oakland, and then a couple of years ago they get lured to Vegas in this beautiful arena that's just off the strip in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I think it's the best branded stadium for a team. You walk into that place, you know exactly who plays it.
Speaker 2: And then the Warriors get drawn out of the Coliseum Arena over to San Francisco, or I should say, back to San Francisco from whence they came. And now the A's, the Oakland A's are playing their final game in Oakland tomorrow, wow, against the Texas Rangers. And I mentioned this to you yesterday that apparently the A's team, the players and the coaches and managers have been told it's probably not a great idea to stick around after the game because we don't know what the fans are going to do, Like, I don't know what that The assumption is that they're gonna what storm the field fans love, you're gonna ask.
Speaker 1: I mean, the fans love the players, they love the team. They've fought so hard it would spend such an inspiring thing to watch the A's fans fight for their team to have it be sold in everything. They are going to crash for a while in West Sacramento at a minor league venue. Is that the River Cat Stadium, Yes, And then they're going to try to turn their dreams of moving to Vegas into a reality.
Speaker 2: And that's still That's the thing is that's still not a given that they that they play in Vegas. I mean, there's there's other cities that may be more ready or would be more willing to have them. So one of the problems with sports ownership a lot of times is that the people who buy these teams suck, they're awful people, and that they just look at it. They're not sports fans, which you don't have to necessarily be, but it makes a difference in the way that you deal with your franchise. And in this case, on Monday, the owner of the A's, a guy named John Fisher, released the letter to fans and he said staying was in Oakland was our goal. It was our mission and we failed to achieve it.
Speaker 1: And then this part highlights what we're saying. Yes, in the letter, Loma Prieta, the namesake mountain of that six point nine magnitude earthquake that disrupted Game three of the World Series between the A's and the Giants, Loma Prieta was misspelled. How do you misspell that in a letter to A's fans when it meant so very much, not just to the World Series and to the A's being in the World Series, but to the city that it leveled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 5: Now there will be sports teams.
Speaker 2: The Oakland Roots are like a second tier soccer team that are playing.
Speaker 5: They're trying to build that up.
Speaker 2: I guess they're going to try to lure some minor league baseball into town, which is fine.
Speaker 3: Sad, very sad.
Speaker 5: It's very sad what has happened to that city.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.