Speaker 1: Hello, right, welcome to what you're talking about. Willis with Marcus Willis, who's atp seventy four, and me his mate Dave. I'm just recording a little preamble to today's podcast to set the scene. First of all, Marcus is playing at the French Open, but there's been some major moving stories and changes that you honestly just wouldn't believe until you've heard today's pod. Secondly, Marcus was today just out of practice. He was hiding in a cupboard at Roland Garross. He was sorting out new accommodation and despite awful WiFi, jumped on for a podcast. So the sound quality isn't the best. In fact, at times it's actually our back up sound quality that we've heavily edited so he gets on air. The reason he's done this and we did this podcast is because this is exactly what we're about, a peak behind the curtain, a lifting on the lid of pro doubles life. For let's face it, one of the world's best players. So excuse the recording quality. It's not the best, but the story is and we'd rather have you in it than out of it. This is the word you're talking about. Willis Podcast. Welcome to the What You're Talking About Willis Podcast. He's Marcus Willis and he's just about to play his first ever Roman Garas French Open. I'm his mate, Dave. Now, if you're new to this podcast, the way it works is we talk about the real life of tennis players, and luckily Marcus is completely open and completely frank about what tennis is like if you're not on the private kind of jet scene. We were just having a little chat and I said, stop, I want to find out what's happening. If you haven't heard about the preamble of getting into the first ever French Open for a player in their mid thirties, go back and listen to the previous couple of episodes. But a lot has changed since our preview in Paris on Sunday, because we're on day four of the French Open. Marcus still hasn't played. You're due to play tomorrow. Marcus, how are you? First of all, I mean that genuinely, not in like a shallow You're right, mate. How are you feeling good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, just just been getting on with you know, playing and training and what have you. We were told Monday night we're probably going to play Tuesday, and then you know, didn't went on the schedule and then our oponents pulled out yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, so and notify the on the drawer.
Speaker 1: How do you find out your opponents pull out?
Speaker 2: I saw it as I was checking the drawer out.
Speaker 3: I saw our names had alternate next to us, but no one told me.
Speaker 2: I wasn't informed by.
Speaker 3: Bloody and that was yesterday, so so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so why your opponents pulled out? And I don't know, you didn't preempt it, but you had an idea that after losing in the first round of singles, they might pop home.
Speaker 3: Yeah it very Karabelly just lost today to rub It's a very lost on Sunday. But yeah, they didn't pull out until yesterday. So what was yesterday? Tuesday? So yeah, so I was really surprised you didn't schedule last for Tuesday, considering Carabelly wasn't playing singles to today.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I wasn't told.
Speaker 3: I just saw on the drawer that we had a walk over, and you know, yesterday we were told you'll probably play Thursday because Carabelle's playing singles today as in now, and then I thought maybe they'll put us on for tomorrow. Then if we playing an alcident pair but we weren't on the schedule.
Speaker 1: Again, ask then is that how it works.
Speaker 3: No, there's an ACP office, but they don't know the schedule is still for tomorrow. So the single schedule was done three hours ago and they said come back at.
Speaker 2: Four, and then Adam went up four and they said come.
Speaker 3: Back at five.
Speaker 2: So we just got out of there because at Windwood and they do the same thing. They go come back to us in an hour and it's eight.
Speaker 3: So we've practiced already. We are actually checking out the AIRBMB we're in because it's you know, books, and we're moving hotels tomorrow because yeah, I thought, you know, most people are playing Tuesday Wednesday. I thought I'll book it until Thursday and then extend if we get through.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there we go. So it's just been a bit of a mess really. But yeah, for the first time.
Speaker 3: I don't know in my my career or my you know, since I've been watching as a kid. There's a walk over and the first round because there's no.
Speaker 2: More pairs a ram.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's let's speak to me as if I'm just some bald idiot.
Speaker 2: H if they do.
Speaker 1: Oh have you been doing that all along? Okay?
Speaker 3: So yeah, So so we were speaking the other day, right and talking about matchup, and then I said we could be speaking of five minutes and.
Speaker 1: So what what happens? Though? Have you've been an alternate as well at this Grand Slam?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I haven't, but not not ten.
Speaker 1: No, No, So what happened?
Speaker 3: There's been There's been nine who pulled out yesterday, majority singles players, one double Sky because he did attend in his risks. So there were nine in one day players I mean singlesmiths, and they're putting.
Speaker 1: Out because their singles is going well, or because their singles has already finished and there's an opportunity for a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's hot. Yeah, and it's hot.
Speaker 3: If it's hot and or it rains for a long time, there's more alternates. Yeah, it happened. Happened a couple of years ago when it rained a lot ten pairs. I was ten out last year and I went for a day. But you know, I think there were six or seven that got in in the end. That's kind of normal, or as high as it gets normally. But yeah, so so we were told you're going to play, Yeah, you're gonna play alternates. There's only two pairs. It was either Yazuki and chan Da crossar Josh Paris and Hildebrand. Hildebrand landed today because he found out there alternates, so I had to jump on a flight from America last night or walk over because there's only two person there's three gaps.
Speaker 2: Now two pairs sign this morning.
Speaker 3: There was only supposed to be one match today and I think they did it out of a hat. I'm not sure, but the pair that was supposed to be playing today got to walk over. We're playing Yazuki in tender crossan two lefties, and Josh Paris is playing Aravello and Pavich, which is interesting. I'll tell you off record what's happening there because I can't really say now, but it's it's absolutely bombed. Because so so, yeah, we got a tough to all. Like I mean, Yazuki made final Tokyo five hundred last year with the partner.
Speaker 2: Send that Crassa is a crafty player. They've won a lot of matches together this year.
Speaker 3: So yeah, not a nice draw again really, but I don't know if you can say it's better or worse than our original. I'd say it's worse in terms of a doubles matchup. But we'll find out tomorrow again, won't we. But yeah, I mean everything we've been training has kind of gone.
Speaker 2: Out the window.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I mean, like we've said, Yakub doesn't know any of this, what a way to live?
Speaker 2: Oh No, he wanted to know because he wanted to know today. So I told him.
Speaker 3: He he played a guy earlier this year in March, and I had looked last night and I told him and he basically said, yoh yeah, I played him in a different location And I said, yeah, yeah, you won four and did I.
Speaker 1: No, So he's he's we've spoken about this, not not yeah superstitions or whatever. So look, I mean you've been training. Now, let's let's talk positives. You've been training at the facility on clay with Yakub for a good few days. You haven't had to scatter across Europe to get into this as an alternate and stuff like that. Right, So, actually, your preparation you could say, has been pretty good from a tennis point of view.
Speaker 3: Fine, yeah, as as as I prepared to be prepared on yours in the tournament. But you know, I think the ultates were playing arrived at the same time or even to day earlier because from obviously overseas, so they've also had good preparation and a lot of practice points and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but we're as prepared as we can be.
Speaker 1: Yes, how much does this unsettle you you because you come across so laid back in this podcast. You're so relaxed when you say, yeah, next week I might play South of Frances. They might be saying in Austria. Actually, you know, you seem to taste so much in your stride has this week? Is this worst case scenario for you? Or is that me wanting to be sensation?
Speaker 3: What it is like, it's it's it's it's a name. But remember I've been alternate before. I was an alternate at the US Open and we've played Thompson Ebden first round of there, prepared for a different.
Speaker 2: Match, and then we went on and beat them. So so you know, we've got to take it as it comes. I can't beat I can't be annoys.
Speaker 3: It's not ideal, but it's it is what it is, right, you know, there was a one and three chance we're going to get Wakata's one and three chances we'd get a guy that landed today from a long full flight, and there's one and three chance we get you know, the left is and we got that, and that's that's you know, you tell us before it till we're playing. Then we go, okay, that's fine. You know they're a good team, but it's a winnable map.
Speaker 1: Do you find plain alternates and from just from your experience, right, we could dig into stats on this to find official numbers. Do you find they play with the freedom and nothing to lose kind of freedom?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, because they're not the all and they're they're loose and I've been one and we played Me and Carol will never play together, Epston and Thompson and Thomson one at the other four there's there's really nothing to lose.
Speaker 2: You're happy to be in there, so you go and play three yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rather than you could play two singles guys at the tired and you know they go to break down and don't really scrap the much.
Speaker 1: Yeah half of mind on whatever. On the other side.
Speaker 3: You could also play two singles guys that are going after everything and you know, really on it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's I don't know, it's just a different match. But I was already kind of ready to.
Speaker 3: I looked at the alternates list when the drawer came out, and so, okay, can play. So I'm not surprised, but I think, you know, I've got to go back to basics. I'm playing my fourth thumb in a row. I'm excited. I don't have a lot to lose. Rely go out there and try and play well. Really really is in one sensus in achievement. But I do want to win. But I can't start thinking too much about what's happened. And you know, the schedules not out, I don't know when's up, but like, you just have to roll with it. There's so much and it's so I don't want to say poorly organized, but yeah, it's so random. Some of the stuff, like no one knew the rule on the alternate People were saying, well, you know, in theory you could sign in tomorrow if you didn't want to play today, and the ultimate places the only match today, but they kind of scrapped that and said.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll start giving a walk over.
Speaker 3: It's just been a bit, but no one knows where they stand.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say poorly organized, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so random some of the stuff, like no one knew the rule on the alternate people were saying, well, you know, and theory you could sign in tomorrow if you didn't want to play today, and the ultimate place the only match today, but they kind of scrapped that and said, I start giving a walker over.
Speaker 2: It's just being a bit, but no one knows where they stand.
Speaker 1: Do you think there needs to be a rule change about these single singles players taking doubles places because you are playing to bona fide doubles players. Now, who really if it wasn't for the singles players should be there by on merit that this singles thing into doubles is taking doubles players jobs, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the fact that they can just enter on their singles drinking.
Speaker 1: Without Do you know what I think is the enlightening part of this podcast? Now repeat myself. I know, but they're doing this to Novak, They're doing this to Yannick or Eager and so on, And I think it's really interesting that the tennis tour is so and this is for me to say, not for you to say or agree with. The tennis Tour is not even two tier, it's multi tiered. That they treat people differently based on their fame there, whatever, And there's no way those guys are finding out via refreshing the BBC Sport app or whatever where the order of players. There's no way that they weren't just going to get a walkover. If Novak was playing the doubles, he's getting a walk over, right, And I think it's just it's refreshing to hear this side of it, because this is the we see the shiny office side in the in the media. So it's great that we can do this. And I can't wait to talk to you tomorrow once you've got the w.
Speaker 3: Victor Baronco on trombone, Sergeant Major Craig Frederick on.
Speaker 1: The trumpets, and the composition The Army Blues
Speaker 2: Walked Up Down