Speaker 1: Hell, everybody to the facilities of the iHeartMedia Megaplex. It's Dick Gabriel. This is the state wide edition of The Big Blue Insider. You've heard comments from Mark Pope, Kenny Brooks, even Jeff Picoro, who ordinarily is on this show, but he well, we just lent him out to Darren Hedrick tonight. So it's Billy Rutledge, Aaron Garshan, and you'rs truly on the state wide BBI from Pikeville to Paduca. It is the Big Blue Insider, Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutledge here in the studio. Aaron Gershawan is in the Sunny South. He's in Florida visiting family. We welcome him in on the Celebrity Hotline. And Aaron, I trust that the sunshine down there has helped your disposition, because, as we often do, we talk about the NFL, and I'm watching the highlights of the Giants game. They look like a real team, and the next thing I know, they're winning and possibly blowing the number one draft pick, which and you all along from the third week on you said lose, lose, lose.
Speaker 2: The sun couldn't even help me yesterday, Dick I've never been that upset about a team of mine winning a game. And usually look, I've honestly been a fan that has had trouble rooting for the Tank. It's just really hard to the guys you watch every week in your whole life. And this is the first time just with the quarterback being such an issue. And I don't even love the two quarterbacks at the top of this draft, but just to have that spot, have that be in that position, it was like, all right, just give me something, and no, they can't do that. And of course they've played the toughest strength to schedule of all the three and thirteen teams, so and they play an Eagles team that's gonna be resting their starters most likely this weekend, so that could be another win. And they just can't even lose.
Speaker 1: Right, even if you don't like the quarterbacks available through the draft, you can always trade the pick.
Speaker 2: And pick Travis Hunter. It's just yeah, brutal.
Speaker 3: And saw Barkley might win an MVP.
Speaker 2: On top.
Speaker 4: I rubbed that into.
Speaker 2: For Dix Packers.
Speaker 4: I've rubbed that into Aaron for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: But I mean, everybody who watched hard knocks or whatever it was, and who was watched Saquon Barkley plays thinking, you know, you're basically committing yourself to Daniel Jones, who's on a scrappy now and and you know, but what's interesting, Aaron Folks will get to the Wildcats in a minute. But in this era of the NFL, where supposedly it's about quarterbacks, wideouts, left tackles, right, what have been the biggest impact players in the league this year offensively?
Speaker 2: Running backs? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Aaron Jones, And you could make an argument for Jacobs with my Packers.
Speaker 4: There's one other question, there's one other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's definitely, it's been. It's kind of been a revitalization of the value of that position this year. You saw both Saquon and Henry get paid this offseason. I think both teams will do that deal again ten out of ten times. Same with the Packers and Jacobs paying him Vikings and Aaron Jones, I mean, yeah, absolutely, And the Giants look that they've actually the unfortunate part is they're gonna get They deservingly are getting slammed for it, but they've actually had a rookie running back play really good football for most of the year, but he's not going to get any love or any anything when you let Saquon Barkley walk out the door. Our trival for free is.
Speaker 1: Not going to do what he did for the Eagles. He's not going to do that for the Giants because your O line is it.
Speaker 2: No no, and it's an improved O line, but it's not anything like the Eagles where they have a future Hall of Famer and right tackle Dick.
Speaker 5: Have you watched Aaron Rodgers documentary on Netflix side, I'm sure you were lining up for the release.
Speaker 4: I will, okay.
Speaker 3: I heard it's pretty bad, just not interesting.
Speaker 2: I heard. I've heard he's something else.
Speaker 4: Oh well, we knew that, which.
Speaker 2: We already know. I heard it, just it's there are even more layers to it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no doubt well, speaking of old lines, let us slide seamlessly over to the UK O line picture and we heard. I don't know if you're listening down in Florida, but Jeff Picorrel and Darren Hedrick talked about the portal and Jeff said he thought UK did an even more pointed job of recruiting through the portal for need, which I think they've always done. They just missed on a lot of guys. And you know, we can talk all we want about who's going to play quarterback, that are going to throw to La La and you know where I am. None of that matters if they cannot cobble together an offensive line. And I will remain doubtful until I see it in action two or three weeks into the season, not in the spring, not in what passes for a spring game. But these guys have got to learn how to mesh and that.
Speaker 4: Just takes time.
Speaker 1: Aaron, and from what you and you you've done a great job writing for the cash Balls website, keeping up.
Speaker 4: With the portal moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what kind of hope do UK fans have in that regard?
Speaker 2: I think they've gotten off to a good start, and I know four it sounds like that's a start, but it really is a remake of that room. I mean, you're only getting two guys who started last year back in Jalen Farmer and Jagger Burton. The latter didn't play great to begin with. I thought Farmer actually had an ok year. Yeah, I think he played a right guard. So it's a it's a complete makeover. A lot of the guys who Malchi Wood who started as well, but clearly and it just wasn't fair to him. He was thrust it in there too early. Kentucky knew it, he knew it, Everyone knew it. So you're basically starting from scratch. And they, you know, you bring in a a plug and play center, and Evan Webberley from Eastern from excuse me, from Western Kentucky. You bring in a plug and play right tackle, you know, all Mack guy from Bowling Green. So those are two you feel really good about. And Joshua Brown, the right guard from Arkansas. But then they brought in, you know, a tackle in Wallace in Bamba who's only has one year of d one experience at New Mexico. Other than that it's been at JUCO, hasn't you know, hasn't played all that much. And he's a right tackle. So you're you're still the most important position on the offensive line. Left tackle is a massive, massive question mark and a lot of the guys that they were targeting for that position, one being Gunnar Henderson from U I believe it's Henderson from Vanderbilt, a three year starter there who won the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week in the in the game they beat Alabama. Uh kicks butt in that game. You know, he was set to visit Kentucky and then Florida State offered him a ton of money and he committed on the spot before he can make the trip to alex So that kind of ruined their plans at left tackle. And they're still on the market looking for one, and there's you know, not many names right now. You could still have guys on these teams that are in the playoff and I don't know exactly how. I know there's a little bit of a longer leash for the guys who just finished Bulls. I don't know how long that's extended. So they've got work to do there. They that left tackle position to me is still very very much up in the air. And we saw, you know, Marcus Cox was up and down at left tackle for the last two years. Twenty twenty two was a revolving door at left tackle. Even when you know some of the other guys on the line play well. If your blindside's not protected, it's a big issue. So I'd say from the offensive line perspective, good start, but there's a massive hole still there.
Speaker 5: One transfer portal player that did not work out this year was Brock Vandergriff and we got the news from John Hale that he would be retiring from football officially. We had heard those rumors, Aaron, But what do you make of the season brockhad And does it go to show you that maybe we don't really fully account into everything that goes into being a football player, Like when you get a bag concussion at Tennessee, maybe that rattles you a little bit more than that we give credit sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the mental side of things that finally got overshadowed this year and a lot of anger and victory all from the fans with how the season went. And look, Brock Vandergriff was at the end of the day, it was a risky move that you felt like it was calculated risks because he kind of went through it with Will Levis, But even to the lesser extent, the guy who had never started a game before, and you were banking on the fact that he was a highly recruited kid, he was in a system in Georgia that from a pro styles perspective, was similar to yours. And also just the fact that he was at a place like Georgia where he was really well coached and played behind a guy in Carson Beck who was spectacular in twenty twenty three and a guy in Custin Bennett and won two national championships. So you just felt like the pedigree, the practices that he was in, you know, you felt like you would get a lot out of them. And I think you saw what he could do in flashes, like in Week one against Southern Myss before the offensive line collapsed, and even when the offensive line class He played great at Old Miss, and he gave you some good things to see. But like you said, Billy, I think the mental side of things and the lack of confidence in this protection, the lack of confidence and probably some of his receivers, and then of course taking that huge hit at Tennessee and unfortunately probably diminished his love of the game a little bit. And it's really, you know, unfortunate it didn't work out for him. He was a nothing but a class act to cover and from everyone I've talked to, beloved in that locker room, you know, in a in a locker room that had some culture issues, he was not at all the problem. He was a universally respected and like guy, so just just didn't work out. Really unfortunate. But that's also and you know this is hopefully the last year of it for a little bit. But that's also the risk just in general of having a revolving door in this transfer cycleic quarterback. I mean, it is a risky business to have a different starter roll in year in and year out, and you know, sometimes it's gonna hit. And you know, look at just look at Louisville. I mean, they're doing the same thing as Jeff Brom. I'd kind of argue that. I know they went ten to two in the regular season in twenty twenty three, but Jack Plumber didn't play very good football. We saw it against against Kentucky and then the show Kid was awesome, and you know, their offense was a top fifteen, top twenty unit. So we'll see they're betting I'd say five hundred. We'll see how it goes this year with Miller Moss. So Kentucky's kind of playing that same game, and you know they're going to be doing it at least for one more year. It feels like with Zach cavsatakum In.
Speaker 1: Is Shasman mentioned is a guy who might end up in the NFL, or at least in a camp somewhere.
Speaker 4: But you're right about Vandergriff.
Speaker 1: We've talked about him, and maybe it's because I've spent some time last couple of weeks for various reasons, looking at video from games early in the year, and I'm telling you, Eron and you'll probably agree, he looked like a different QB back then. He looked like the guy that they needed him to be. But you're right, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 1: Who would have been behind center this year with that protection, with that consistent protection, whoever it was, would it ended up running for their life and getting battered like like Brock And if he decided to, I think retires a really interesting word, although it's probably accurate because he was making money, uh, you know, and good for him, But I do wonder when something like this happens. Yes, I'm sure he's lost some of his zeal for football, but I'm also wondering is he doing this for his own physical health? You know?
Speaker 4: And if he is, you can't blame him. But back to your.
Speaker 1: Point about QB, it's a it's a cycle. I won't say it's a vicious cycle because in some cases it's paid off. Uh, look at look at the top QBS who went to draft this pat of the guys who are rookies now, just about every one of them who were playing well came from a school that didn't sign them originally. But I thought Cutter Bowley would be the guy who could break the cycle. And maybe he will be.
Speaker 4: But now you've got to wonder.
Speaker 1: About his future at Kentucky if they keep recruiting over him, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I think, you know, it's gonna be really interesting to see what the plan is here. I think I don't sign it. I don't think Zach Calzada, as a seventh year senior who has SEC experience, was the conference player of the year and his conference, you know, probably would have had opportunities elsewhere. I know cal had Brian Harson, who was the coach that recruited him to Auburn. Yeah, you know, Calzada was hurt that year. Whatever it was it didn't work out. I'm sure that could have been a marriage. Who knows. He would have had an opportunity to start elsewhere, And the fact that he picked Kentucky means he thinks he's gonna be the guy. There's just no questions. So is it for Kentucky? What we don't know. Is it because they feel Cutters are still a year away? Do they feel maybe, hey, Kalsada struggles early, let's give him a little bit more time to marinate and then we can turn to him. Or is it truly is it truly a fall camp spring camp battle, which I think is the least likely the options. So hopefully for I think there's still hope there and Cutter is willing to be patient, which is not a given and the air of college football, and you can't blame him just because it's what everyone does. Now, I think there's still a task for him to be the guy, you know, as soon as possibly at some point in twenty twenty five. It's not as early as twenty twenty six. But it's going to be up to both Cutter in the UK to get on the same page with what the plan is going to be.
Speaker 1: Well, you knew they were going to get a quarterback because they need death, They need somebody to compete with Cutter and vice.
Speaker 4: Versa, no question, But I always go back.
Speaker 1: To what Darren Henshaw used to say, and because he would prepare. Obviously, every quarterback and Liam Cohen said the same thing, and any quarterback coach is going to say, every guy in your room, you've got to feel like you can win with this guy. Not okay, this guy as a good practice player. He can throw past Skelly drills and all that stuff. So yeah, it figures that they're gonna go out.
Speaker 4: But I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I think the guy that they signed as QB one written all over him right now, he is as good as Cutter looked at times. He's still woefully inexperienced, but no question, I do think he's good enough to eventually break that cycle.
Speaker 2: To you, I do. I mean, I just don't think you'd I get that, And really, I guess it was still a two score game. I don't think you put together some of the plays on tape you do against Texas and that elite defense if you don't have something to you. Yeah, I mean, especially with the way Kentucky's offensive line played in that game and all season long. So I do think there was in you know, Murray State to a lesser extent, but there were some things that are just really good signs some of to throw some of the decisions that he made in that game that there's a lot to like. And then there's the Louisville game where you see all the inexperience and all the problems and all that. But yeah, I still think from what we saw in this in the small sample size, there's enough to at least see the vision and see the possibility. But I also I agree with the fact that they're bringing in a guy to start this year ahead of them. I just think it's it'd be different if this was a first year staff and you're kind of accepting you're going to take some lumps. But when it's a thirteenth year staff and or you know, thirteenth year head coach and to top assistant and they're kind of in win now mode and they're trying to win the fan base back, you have to go get a more proven commodity.
Speaker 5: And you know, Brock didn't have a ton of experience either. I mean, he was a backup and didn't get a lot of time playing as a Star warshow kind of maybe learning from what they've done in the past. Hey, Aaron, you're a guy with a lot of experience. Darren and Jeff we're talking about best press box, food in the SEC. Is there anything that stood out to you over your years of covering games?
Speaker 2: South Carolina football is probably it's funny because they're basketball might be one of the worst with food and access. I won't go down. I won't go all in on that, but South Carolina football. I think the last time we went there was the Sunday before Thanksgiving and they were cutting up meat on a carver and everything. They did it right. So South Carolina football in my six years so far is the top of the list for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeff mentioned them, but he was trying to flip through it, you know, because it all runs together after a while. You mentioned Tennessee, which always seems like it is. They always have like barbecue or whatever.
Speaker 2: One year I saw hot chocolate maker up there too.
Speaker 4: Oh is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That gets some browning points.
Speaker 1: Vanderbilt every now and in LA and Chick fil A, which is fine. But one year Aaron two or three trips ago to Nashville.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you made a trip or not.
Speaker 1: They brought in about a million wings from one of the local wing places.
Speaker 4: They were like smoked wings in this wing. They were the best wings I.
Speaker 1: Ever had, and I rarely eat my before a game, depending on the weather, especially.
Speaker 4: If it's hot.
Speaker 1: I don't like to eat a lot of stuff and then go down, you know, and deal with the heat. But that particular Vandy game, I tried to be inconspicuous as to how many times I went back for more wins before I got down there.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. I'm not a big breakfas like, I'm not a big eggs guy, but Vandy had a Yeah I do too, but good Vanny had an omelet bar going before their football game in twenty twenty three. That was an eleven o'clock picks. So you know what, Vandy does a really nice job of food lies in basketball. They always have like these oversized catering boxes at Chick fil A, So you know they do a nice job too. I got to give him credit. But I think South Carolina football from everything, all the options, healthiness, whatever you want to call it, desserts, they could dive up brownies in twenty nineteen. I remember that too, so I got to go. South Carolina football is number.
Speaker 4: One for me. You hate eggs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love eggs. What's wrong with eggs?
Speaker 4: Well? And I hate him too.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, Aaron, You're the first person that I've encountered maybe ever. Even the smell of him gives me a headache.
Speaker 2: Yeah right there.
Speaker 1: And my wife loves him, eats them almost every morning. She has to wait till I'm down in the in the garage working on the show before she can, or she cooks him on the gas grill outside and spares me.
Speaker 2: My fiance is the same way.
Speaker 3: Uh, he just hasn't had my eggs.
Speaker 1: Hey when I I when I was in college, I made an egg dish with cheese and onion and chives and stuffing. My friends loved it. Aren't you having any Nope? I learned how to make it from my dad used to make him for us when we were kids, And uh yeah, I would whip him up and no jam.
Speaker 4: Dope, not me.
Speaker 3: He can cook him, but he doesn't want to eat him, No.
Speaker 1: Sir, All right on that happy not We'll take a break, come back and talk some basketball. But Aaron Gershawn and Billy Rutley, you're on the state wide BBI Border to border. It is the Blue Insider, Dick Gabriel, Billy rod LED's here in the studio. Aaron Gershawn's on our celebrity ideline. Aaron and I and I think we talked about this last week covered the.
Speaker 4: Kentucky game up in New York.
Speaker 1: Kind of weird, Aaron, this long layoff. I've covered Kentucky basketball since they pumped up the first ball. I can't remember the last time there was a break like this.
Speaker 2: You know, it sounds like the off season. Yeah, it's been a yeah it is. It's it'll be ten days by the time to take the court tomorrow. And you know it's a tough build, a swallows sitting on an ugly performance like that for for that long, But you know, excited to see the energy they come out with. I'll obviously be here in Florida watching it and be back for the game against the Gators on Saturday, but you want to see them come out and kind of I know, I know Brown's a half decent team. I actually caught some of their game against Kansas and they were battling them pretty hard. And they have a kid who's one of the better scores in the in the IVY on the on their roster. But it's still a game. You want to see Kentucky get off to a really hot start and kind of just dominate from top to finish like they were doing earlier in the year against these these opponents. I mean, it's just something where I think even the last couple of games against the non cons Western Kentucky Georgia State cold game, for the most obvious case, they just haven't looked quite themselves. They haven't shot the three too well, their defense on the three hasn't been great. They're getting off the slow starts and letting these teams have some life way later than they should. And I think it would do them a big, you know, confidence boost, and do the fan base a big confidence boost if then they get out to a hot start and kind of just insert their just just ta't care of business, don't don't make it interesting.
Speaker 1: We talked about this after the Ohio State game, and it's pretty evident that everybody is going to at least try to run them off the three point line. And Polpe talked about that tonight, about wanting to shoot more threes, but you know, shooting a rushed three is kind of worthless. But teams it had some success doing that. Kentucky carved them up from the paint Ohio State outscored Kentucky in the paint, and you got to wonder is that going to become a problem, especially if Brandon Garrison has got some health issues, and Pope kind of alluded to that tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he didn't. I think, I forget what game. I know he's sat a game too, just kind of get his body right and then yeah, I can't remember exactly what game was. Yeah, but it's huge and they need more from Mamary Williams. Oh. I think he's kind of the X factored unlocking this whole thing. Yeah, offensively and defensively, I mean they ca Yeah, he's you know, he's a two time or three time Defensive Player the Year winner in the conference yeat three. He really struggled against Ohio State. He struggled against Louisville a little bit. I mean, he's a guy that just they need more from on both ends. He's done a nice job rebounding, but other than that, you know, he's been out physical a little bit. Offensively, Uh, he really, I don't know what it is he's I'd have to go back and look at his Drexel stuff more. I don't know if he's just naturally not a great finisher or if he's not feeling confident. I don't know. He just kind of looks a little sloppy finishing down there in the paint, and they just need more from him. I think if they can get him going and be a steady center, I think that'll unlock a lot of things on both ends of the floor.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: And it does make you wonder about the level of competition where he played before. But apparently I keep reminding myself if he's the three time doy, he is consistently good, and he has not been as consistent, as.
Speaker 4: You're right, as they need him to be.
Speaker 1: So that's something to watch for tomorrow and on Saturday, especially against Florida. We'll talk more about that when we come back with Aaron Gershaan who is down in Florida, Billy Rutledge here in the studio. From Pikeville to Paducah. It is the statewide Big Blue Insider.
Speaker 4: Welcome Back.
Speaker 1: It's the state wide Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutledge.
Speaker 4: Here in the studio.
Speaker 1: Eron Gershan on the Celebrity Highline from down in Florida visiting family and Billy had something to chime in when it came to a Maari Williams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were talking about Amar and how much he needs to improve in this second half of the season, but it kind of alluded to the question. I wanted to ask you, Aaron, who do you think will be the most improved player from non conference to conference schedule on this team? And I'm gonna put my guy as Andrew Carr. Even though he's had a couple of good games, I feel like there's still something doing Lock a little bit there.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more. I'll make my point on a Car and then I'll give you a different answer because it's more fun that way. But Car, I think the big thing with him is just getting him comfortable. I mean, this is a guy that last year shot almost thirty eight percent from three. His best year of Delaware, the year that Delaware was in the NCAA Tournament, he shot forty percent from three. Like, this is a dude who can shoot it. And I feel like, how many times upstairs there, Dick, have we seen him with the ball in his hands open from three and he just doesn't shoot it. And it's like, dude, you're a good three shooter, and you know that's probably a you know, Mark Pope talks all the time about the volume, and I bet and from watching this team, I think he's kind of the main culprit. I'm not trying to call him out individually. It's not just all him, but he's the main culprit of that not living up to the volume because he's passing up a lot of open looks and just doesn't feel fully comfortable in the offense yet. And he's a guy that you know, Mark Pope preached about him being you know, perfect for their offense and being the couldn't have created him even better, just couldn't have written a player out better, and he's got to be that, And so I agree. I think he's the guy that they're gonna need the most improved improvement from and ultimately get it. I think another one I think it has to be for this team to get there is Jackson Robinson. From a consistency standpoint, I think they need him. I mean, at b Yu was a very very steady player, didn't tear up the stat sheet. I mean, fourteen points per game is solid. Obviously six Man of the Year in that conference, but every night it felt like he was in double figures as you go look in the stat line, and this year it's just it's up and down, and they need and on both sides of the floor. He has games where he's excellent defensively, he has games where he really struggles defensively, and it feels like he hasn't had maybe the Gonzagga game, but outside of that, he hasn't had that one game where he's had it going on both pens at the court. He's had some games where he's had it going on the offensive, then the struggled on the defensive end, and vice versa. Like Duke, he was awful offensively, he played great defensively. So I think he's a guy that if they could get just get more consistency, get him to, you know, have a couple of games here and there where he is that guy that they can put in his hands and he can go win it for him. I think that would do him a lot of good. So I do think Carr ultimately makes the biggest jump, But I think the guy they really need more so than anyone to do it, it's Jackson Robinson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has talked about the fact that Robinson has done little things extremely well that maybe don't show up in the box score. And that's great and you've got to have that, but he also needs.
Speaker 4: To show up in the box score.
Speaker 1: Like you said, I'll tell you another guy when it comes to three pointers, when it comes to volume shooting and accuracy, is one of the guys they specifically signed for that is Ainsley Amanor.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he comes off the bench.
Speaker 1: But if he can play, give him a good ten or twelve minutes, not hurt them on defense, and throw in throwing two or three triples at a high percentage rate'll that'll balance the floor. That'll open things up for him. That's why they brought him here, you know. But I also think guys that not that it's an excuse, but I do think the loss of Kerr Crisa has had an effect on his team.
Speaker 4: It absolutely has, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I think it's more so from a comfort standpoint. And Mark Pope, I didn't like look in the first half of his radio show I'll finish at Tomorrow, but he talked about how they're kind of out of sync lineup, Lise, and that's better be something that worked on and not just better be. But I think it will be something they have worked on these last ten days is just getting more cohesive, tightening up those rotations, figuring out exactly how they're going to reallocate minutes with k Kirk Criasis sidelined, and gain some more comfortability with the guys who are going to be in these different lineups. So yeah, I think that's where it's hurting them the most. And then you know, from an energy standpoint, I think, look, Kerr is the guy that plays a little reckless, I would say at times, and that's probably his biggest flaw, but you can never question his effort, you can never question his energy, takes a bunch of charges, is just totally unafraid, does everything he can in his ability to win a game, and you know they're missing that spark from an energy standpoint.
Speaker 1: Every now and then, that recklessness I think is good just because it keeps the other guys off, you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean?
Speaker 2: That sure does. Yeah, And if you look, it's not like he's incapable of hitting these deep threes. Still they'll hit them. He's he was a forty two three shooter last year. But it does keep teams on their toes and uh, look, he could turn into some really big plays. He's made a couple of big plays early in the season, you know, hit some really clutch shots against Duke and made some big got got a big time charge against Gonzaga. Uh, had a hustle play that he got hurt on against Gonzaga. Like, the guy is a he's a tough customer and they need him back. But they also, uh, he's not a guy where it should make or break them. They really need to figure out how to how to play better without him.
Speaker 3: So Kentucky plays Brown tomorrow. Hand up.
Speaker 5: I forgot Brown was in the IVY League until Mark Pope said they have what is it the IVY League iverson on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a guard who's averaging twenty points a game. He did it the last two years basically as well.
Speaker 3: That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to ask you what you knew about this Brown team, because he also said it's going to be one of the best rim protecting teams that they've played this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought they have a couple of guys who are averaging over a block of games. So that's probably where the math comes from comes from. I know he said they're gonna play with great tempo. They're ranked three hundreds in tempo, So I don't know exactly. I mean, he might just have a different definition of it than I do. But I don't think they're I don't think they're gonna be running and gutting it up the floor like Kentucky likes to do, or like Florida is going to when they play them Saturday. That's gonna be a track meet, but it's gonna, I think they're gonna do, honestly, what all these opponents recently have done. They're gonna try to slow the game down. They're gonna guard the three, and they're gonna try to make Kentucky live in tough twos, live in the paint, and let's see what happens. And then you know they have guards that especially really I don't have his name pulled up, but they're Alvin Iverson of the Ivy Kid is a guy who's a forty four or forty three three shooter, Yeah, a volume shooter, and they're gonna try to get him. Uh, They're gonna try to isolate him. They're gonna get him ball screen and try to let him expose Kentucky's defense the way Ohio State's point guard was able to and the way Louisville's point guard, Chuckie Hemport was able to. So the blueprint is out obviously on how to be Kentucky, and it's up to Kentucky to adjust and make teams have to create a new blueprint.
Speaker 1: You know, what I thought was really interesting about that Ohio State game was Butler's line after that unbelievable effort against Louisville and was almost non existent against Ohio State, at least to mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Ohio State deftly defended him a lot better than Louisville did. But no question, he struggled offensively, but you know, defensively, he held their leading scorer in check. I forget what their leading the point guard Thornton was not their leading score going into it, their leading score going into it. I think forget exactly what was but I think he only scored four to six points and Butler was his matchup. So you know, Butler still did what he's able to do on the defensive end, but you know, offensively, that's kind of what you expected you were getting. I mean, the Louisville game was the nominally he's not going to be a pretty three points per game. He's not even gonna be twenty points per game. He's gonna probably be somewhere in the low teams. Honestly, in his college career, he's in the high single digits, nine eight points per game, So you knew you definitely need him in the low teams, just with how this team is playing right now, and you know, Kirk Curisa being out and some of the limitations it feels like they have with the two centers scoring the ball. But yeah, they need more from him offensively. I think he'll I still think he's an improved offensive player and he'll he'll be productive, but you just can't count on him being their leading scorer most games, to be honest, and in.
Speaker 5: A somewhat mediocre year for him. Justin Edwards had one great game last year versus Alabama. It was incredible. He scored twenty eight points, was four for four from three.
Speaker 1: Actually had a good game against Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Not great, yeah, that's right, the game in Knoxville.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's well, make it two then then not just one, but Aaron, there is there anybody on this team that you could see having a performance like that? Is there are a Travis Perry game waiting for us.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's the guy, Butler had one.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it's yeah, that's what I was gonna go. It's gotta be him. I mean, they need it to the end if we're gonna be honest. And again, he doesn't have to do it every night, but they they need him to be the guy that can do it the most of anyone on the team, just because that's what look look at where the roster was going into June. It was like, oh my gosh, we have all these shooters, but we don't have that one guy we trust to put the ball in his hands. We don't have the one guy that guys consider a star and circle him on the scout like, we don't have that guy. And Jackson Robinson is supposed to be that, and he just he hasn't been yet. The Kenzaga game he was, I know, I think he only scored nineteen, but he was the one. Him and Andrew Carr controlled that game from the second half on. And you know they can get that version of Jackson Robinson for a full game. He's gonna give you a thirty point outing. A couple times.
Speaker 1: And you know what's interesting about that. He is the one guy, Aaron who knows how this Mark Pope offense is supposed to run. I mean, the other guys, you can say they're still learning, they abandoned it against Aisost whatever, Jackson Robinson.
Speaker 4: It's ingrained in him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's what he's lived in the last three years. And honestly, you know, he obviously spent time with Buzz Williams at A and M. He spent time with must at Arkansas, but he didn't play much. So this is the offense he's comfortable playing in. And I wonder, you know, I do wonder if it's been a burden on him, not saying it should be, but just if it's taken a lot out of him too. He's probably had to play or coach a little bit in practice. He's just the guy that knows what's going on. And you see sometimes his body language is a little off kilter. I don't really obviously never didn't see any games in person, so it's something you notice more in person than TV copy. But when I watched a couple of BYU games, you know, getting ready to cover this team, I didn't see that much from him. He just seems maybe it's Kentucky the pressure. Who knows, he seems agitated at times. Body language isn't great out there. So I just think hopefully this ten days, these ten days is a good reset for him both, you know, emotionally and physically, and just get him back to being the guy who was a BYU last year. Because if they can get that, because he's very capable of it and should be able to on a stronger team, you know, he could be super dangerous and really help them out.
Speaker 1: A couple of minutes left, Aaron gershine Yours truly and Billy rud leych here in the studio Eras in Florida, one of the you know, you were talking, Aaron about people running Kentucky off the line, trying to get mid range jumpers scoring the pain, and you're seeing that a little more out of Kobe Ray, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, offensively, I think he's you know, expanded his game. I think especially he's able to get in the lane and convert a little bit. You know, he's had a couple of dunks on on not even frast brakes, but just beating his man off the dribble and you know, cashing ends, and so I think offensively he has expanded his bag a little bit. Obviously, for the most part, has been really good from three. He's had a couple of games where the shot hasn't fallen, and they need to get more from him in these big games. But you know, a shot well against Louisville and hopefully that'll continue into SEC play for him to be a steady three shooter. You know, hopefully a couple more against these bigger opponents, and there's a lot of big opponents in the league. But I think defensively it's a work in progress. I mean, he's the guy they need a lot more from on the defensive end. He had a couple games defensively early in the year against some of the lesser teams where it's like, oh, he might be turning a corner, and you know, Mark Pope was praising him. But you know, you haven't heard that same praise or seen that same seeing it warranted honestly, you know, lately. And they need more from him on that side of the floor. And you know that's the one thing you worry about too with these fifth years, and look, they're mature they've been there, done that. They're not phased, but to an extent, they are what they are. I mean not to say they can't improve. They can't. And they're gonna get more comfortable in this system. They're gonna get more comfortable playing with the guys they're playing with. But when it comes to things like that, to me, it's a little bit. You know, it's just a man to man defense. It's not necessarily they play some zone, but for the most part, it's just stay in front of your man and playing defense and you kind of are who you are. Well, Maan Butler's the same guy he was in San Diego State and he's just doing it here same a. They'll take it away from what he did Oklahoma. He's brought it over here. When you're a fifth year guy, you're twenty three, twenty four, you're almost fully built into your body like you are what you are. And I don't know how much he's going to improve defensively, but they'll take any improvement they can get there.
Speaker 5: Not sure if you heard it tonight, but a caller called Mark Pope coach p and it kind of traded him.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 5: He kind of I think he flashed back to the practices and said, there's only one coach, p and it wasn't him, but I believe it was either the same caller or the caller after that also mentioned about the Denham jerseys, and Mark Pope said without saying that he's working on it, which is I think an indication that we're going to get that. Aaron, Uh, did you know that's not real denim on the Denham jerseys back in the day, because I did.
Speaker 2: Not at first I knew, Well I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you did look at that. I didn't either.
Speaker 1: Uh, But well they they did their job.
Speaker 4: They look it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, And and they look good, don't they, Aaron, Yeah they do, Yeah, now they do.
Speaker 2: Right. Everyone hated them, like everyone, Yeah, just everyone like hates the black football jerseys, even the black basketball jersey wore a couple years ago. But then ten years from now, they're going to back for him back.
Speaker 1: You want to know the funniest thing about that Denim episode was there were so many complaints and people actually called the radio show the Patino Radio Show, and at one point Beatino said something about, and I'm paraphrasing, you know, these are the uniforms get used to him, and then he said something like and I don't want to hear another word about it, Like, okay, Dad, I'm telling you it's it's quaint that people now act like they like them, and and the people who say they do, I guarantee you they weren't around when they were using them, playing wearing them back then.
Speaker 2: People like the Power case back in the day because now like everyone wants them back, but I like them in the day.
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: They were numb to it quite frankly because they didn't know any better.
Speaker 2: Right, Because now it's like every time they they say they're going to create an alternate uniforms, there's a bloodown on the power Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People love nostalgia people. Yeah, and I favorite uniforms in the world is nostalgic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cream Sickles, Yeah. I like the cream Sickles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't blame it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: People don't like that Wildcat logo, you know, the one that I'm okay with it. But my favorite actually was the logo they used when Pope was played, you know, the UK with the Wildcat with the pop up and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like that one. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know it's pretty evident, pretty common knowledge why they change it there, you know, it's some merch make some money.
Speaker 2: Oh look, there's gonna be and football just changed their uniforms slightly what two years ago, there's gonna be like tweaks to the jersey again soon. That's just pretty much every team in professional sports outside of my beloved New York Yankees do it because they want to sell.
Speaker 5: My thought process was just like they must be sweating their butts off during the game with denim on no, and then it's actually just looks.
Speaker 1: But like I said, they succeeded with it because people thought it was real denim look good.
Speaker 2: Then they shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag.
Speaker 1: Was pretty obvious after one game.
Speaker 4: Oh the other thing does play, I guarantee you somebody.
Speaker 1: Somewhere, probably Patino, and I want to if Pope would answer that question, put the fear of God in them, because when we tried to ask the players about them, they were like, I don't know, I don't care what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't talk on the jersey exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no comment, Aaron, We're gonna turn you loose before the final break. Thanks for joining us and get some more vitamin D, some more sun down there.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. I'll see you guys back Saturday.
Speaker 1: It'll be back from Florida to cover Florida. Appreciate it. We'll see you then and we'll come back and wrap up this edition of the.
Speaker 4: State Wide BBI. Thanks again to Aaron Gershwan. Final segment of.
Speaker 1: Our program, yours truly along with Billy rud Ledge here in the studio. Weird times for Kentucky basketball two o'clock tomorrow and in a lot of places it's still a holiday, you know, New Year's Eve. Yeah, and I guarantee you there's a solid lineup of basketball on the Worldwide Leader all day long.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I can still go to a New Year's Eve party. I wouldn't be able to do that if it was a seven or eight pm.
Speaker 4: Are you a New Year's e person?
Speaker 5: I like to set resolutions and then you keep them until the second Friday January.
Speaker 3: That's called Quitter's Day.
Speaker 4: That's right. Oh, it's not January second.
Speaker 5: It's a second Friday, second Friday, give me a week.
Speaker 1: No, just today, or somebody could refer to January second as Quitter's Day, Second Friday, Second Friday. Okay, okay, I have never been a New Year's Eve guy.
Speaker 4: Never, So therefore never.
Speaker 3: You don't stay up to watch the ball drop.
Speaker 4: If I'm up, I'm up. I'm a night oul anyway, but I you know it's to me.
Speaker 1: It's But when I worked at the TV station, I was in charge of the sports department. It was one of the days I would give the sports guys. Everybody got the day off on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day unless there was a UK game on New Year's Eve, which really there was reason being because I was able to anchor the sports right. So I love.
Speaker 4: Those two days because what did you do?
Speaker 1: You watched football every once in a while while basketball, But you watch football, NFL, college, you name it, and you show highlights. And that's the thing when you're doing sportscast. Sportscasters love to show highlights, and generally the six o'clock news doesn't have it, but on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, and usually the news producer downstairs says buckus.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they'll call you, hey, can you take an extra minute?
Speaker 4: Damn right, I can.
Speaker 1: I'll throw in another game or throwing three more touchdowns or whatever. New Year's Day has the biggest Bowl games. Plus the phone doesn't ring. Ah, yeah, there's no high school games. There's nobody calling me what time do the Cats play? You know, people, it's amazing to me. People who are Kentucky fans. And I'm told by my colleagues who still work on local TV, people still call the TV stations wanting to know what time Kentucky played. Wow, still still, you know. And obviously they don't take newspapers anymore. But the inner web is a wonderful thing for that. But the other thing is the boss isn't there, the news director isn't there. Yeah, it's like bothering you with something inane.
Speaker 5: It's like you're behind the wheel of the Cadillac as as a young teenager, the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's no cops on the road.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doing what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the best thing about that, too, was they could burn their holidays the employees, and I wouldn't have to. You know, you need to work for this guy, you need to work for that guy. I owe you a day off that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Just go home, go. I gave Christmas Eve off for the same reason.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, yeah, phone never rings, well, always a couple of football games.
Speaker 5: Not everybody's willing to work that hard working holidays, seizing those opportunities so you can be a sportscaster.
Speaker 4: And as much of that time I was single.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's that's that's a big part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right. So it's not that I'm a big hearted, big hearted boss. It was easier on me and easier on them, and that's what's important.
Speaker 4: Is it easy on me.
Speaker 1: Thank you for making it easy and Aaron Gershan as well. We'll be back next week following the Coaches Show and BBN Radio Rebellion.
Speaker 4: Aaron Dick Gabriel, that's it. Good night from Lexington