Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to kf I AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Corrections and retractions.
Speaker 3: Not quite sure why I missed this one.
Speaker 4: I'm the one responsible for saying an incorrect fact today.
Speaker 2: Guys, Janet Reno was the first female attorney general.
Speaker 1: Duh. Gary doesn't remember what she did at Waco recognized look it up. Yeah, he doesn't like to recognize women. He also doesn't identify Janet Reno as a female.
Speaker 4: That's not true. None of that is true. None of what you just said is true.
Speaker 3: Now who it was that.
Speaker 4: Fourth concentric circle? Think that I'm a giant d Listen, she was not a looker.
Speaker 2: Let's be real.
Speaker 4: What does that have to do with anything? Again, that's not how we judge people here.
Speaker 2: I didn't say we, I said you.
Speaker 3: Oo oh. He stabbed me like forty or fifty times.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry left the night. You can take it, I do because you can take.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: The storm that rolled through the Pacific Northwest continues to cause problems. Utility crews around Seattle say that they have about two hundred thousand people without power at this point. And they expect to have many of those without power through the weekend. I had all kinds of power outages, I mean, probably three or four a year when you live in Seattle, simply because the trees, the rain, the snow, the eye, whatever it was. But never did they last more than about twenty four hours. I can't think of any that lasted that long. Also, PCH fully closed in Mendocino County because of flooding. Officials announced that the closure is north of Point Arena, near the Garcia River, and at this point they have not yet said when it's going to reopen. That same storm is also dumped about ten feet of snow floods avalanches, or it's forecast for a Mount Shasta, ten feet of snow on Mount Lassen. Hurricane force winds have been recorded along the coast, and there's a wide swath of rain, not nearly as heavy as it was yesterday, but a wide swath of rain.
Speaker 3: Still falling in northern California.
Speaker 1: And Janet Reno really did screw up in Waco yes authorizing that that tear gas attacks the fire killed a bunch of kids, And.
Speaker 4: I had to explain some of that to my daughter when she went when she moved to Waco a couple months ago, like there was a thing that happened here, and granted it was well outside of town, but Waco was the closest, so they made it sound like it was it was right there.
Speaker 3: Sugar is Sugar can be bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sugar is very involved with an increased risk of autoimmune disorders like Crohn's disease, multiple school eurosis, higher blood pressure, increased a risk of more than a dozen cancers. Recreational sugar no boin O, dropping or limiting added sugars in the die it can help you avoid these outcomes and also improve your quality of life. Consuming less sugar reduces the production of a group of harmful molecules. They're known as ae IT excuse me ages associated with premature aging and Alzheimer's.
Speaker 4: Added sugars can also feed the bad bacteria in your gut, which can lead to chronic inflammation and an imbalance and healthy organisms. And the new literature about how important your gut is to the rest of your health. Oh, it's mental health. I mean, it's just it's incredible. They said that dropping or limiting added sugars in the diet can help you not only avoid outcomes but also improve your quality of life, in part because.
Speaker 2: Better than when you say it, because you're a man.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm just trying to man explain sweetness to you. I know, so you don't have any.
Speaker 2: Get to the part where I messed up agase.
Speaker 4: Harmful molecules known as ages, and then the part that I read after that as well, associated with premature time unter condition Alzheimer's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and hearing.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that I did because I didn't listen now, But you said aeg which were still thinking about janet right now? Is what you were doing understandable.
Speaker 4: When excess sugar is present in the bloodstream, it combined with lipids or proteins like collagen and elastin and contribute to aging skin, wrinkles, loss of elasticity.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that it can contribute to aging skin, the loss of elasticity, collagen, collagen.
Speaker 3: I'll point again to a story.
Speaker 2: I didn't read that first.
Speaker 3: I know I at least know that much. I'll point again.
Speaker 4: My father was diagnosed pre diabetic four or five years ago, and he was overweight. It's always somewhat overweight, not crazy, but always had a twenty extra pounds or whatever it was. And when he was diagnosed pre diabetic, he was a rule following yeah, I mean, you give him a rule and he would follow it and that would make him happy.
Speaker 3: That was his It was out of mentality will power.
Speaker 4: And when when he was diagnosed pre diabetic, the doctor said, basically, you better change this or you're going to be diabetic and you're going to have to be put on insulin. So he did everything and within two three weeks, I mean within weeks that pre diabetic diagnosis was completely gone. His blood sugar was back to normal, everything was working correctly. Granted he was battling cancer at the time, but he was talking about the difference between feeling healthier, sleeping better, feeling more motivated, having more energy without the added sugars in the diet.
Speaker 3: And it was one thing to be able to not just make.
Speaker 4: Those changes, but to be able to identify where the added sugars are in your diet, everything everything. He loved his juice. He loved drinking juice. He loved it because it was sweet.
Speaker 3: And tasted good.
Speaker 4: It's so bad, it's so good, but it's so bad for you. It's incredible. My only piece of willpower is that I have had a Snickers bar on the on the shelf in my pantry since Halloween and I haven't.
Speaker 2: Eaten it yet, but you know you're going to at some point.
Speaker 1: At some point, I notice a big difference in like belly fat area, like if you eat. If I eat a lot of sugar, I get very fat in the stomach. If I cut it out, it takes a long time, but it does go away and then a little bit of juice and boom, five months pregnant.
Speaker 4: You Menendez story, wouldn't we okay?
Speaker 2: What I thought? We were sharing secrets here?
Speaker 3: The latest on the eric in Lyle story, trying.
Speaker 1: To work my way into that first concentric circle, telling you when I get fat.
Speaker 4: Well, that's it, but it would require that you've seen You're not even looking at it.
Speaker 3: I can't even look at it. I'm just gonna look over there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get some juice.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, stories we're following for you today. Delta United Airlines become the most profitable US airlines by targeting premium customers while also winning a significant share of budget travelers. Interesting they are squeezing smaller low fare carriers like Spirit, which filed for bankruptcy protection this week.
Speaker 2: They say that experts say.
Speaker 1: Spirits troubles indicate less wealthy passengers will have fewer choices and higher prices.
Speaker 3: Here's a game I play.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I am close enough to a flight path that I see a lot of airplanes flying into Burbank and van eyes from my house, and I think, what's going on on that Southwest flight right now? Ninety nine point nine nine percent of the time it's nothing, just people flying from Sacramento or Salt Lake City or Vage whatever. I see a Spirit Airlines plane and I go, what's it like on that airplane?
Speaker 3: Right now? You know your your ten.
Speaker 2: Attorneys sweaty, not a lot of ventilation.
Speaker 3: They came in game.
Speaker 4: They came in from Tucson, and it still smells like Tucson in there. Questions have been swirling about whether Florida Governor Ron de Santis is going to nominate Matt Gates as his state's next senior senator. Of course, sent DeSantis gets to a point a replacement for Senator Marco Rubio, who has been tapped as Secretary of State in the next administration. On Monday, Desanta's he hasn't been asked specifically about Matt Gates, because obviously Matt Gates hadn't dropped out of his nomination or hadn't withdrawn his name for consideration for attorney General. But on Monday, Desanta said that he was gathering names and conducting preliminary vetting after receiving strong interest from several potential picks.
Speaker 3: He no, I'm just gonna so the Pam Bondi thing.
Speaker 4: So Pam Bondi, the former Attorney General for the state of Florida, has been nominated in Matt Gates's place as Attorney General. I made the mistake of saying she would be the first female attorney general.
Speaker 3: That was it. Reno, played by Will Ferrell on Saturday Night Line. You got her there.
Speaker 5: You're gonna get the straight dope from the horse's mouth. It's real time, Okay, who wants a piece of renal?
Speaker 4: Let's see ann us, miss Reno, as an appointee of an administration that's plagued with pending indictments. Hasn't the time come for you to remove yourself from the investigation.
Speaker 5: If you ask one more question like that, you're gonna have to rule my foot from your ass. What kind of name is Wolf.
Speaker 2: Anyways, he said on a podcast.
Speaker 1: A couple months ago that he did regret dressing up as a woman to crack a joke. He said, that's something I wouldn't choose to do. Now, he admitted that a fair amount of the older skits on SNL are ones where you'd lament the choice.
Speaker 4: So he's saying that they're problematic without using the word problematic. What do you mean, I just mean that that's a loaded word now, like it was funny at the time. Yes, yeah, So why why is.
Speaker 2: It not funny now? I don't know. Well, there is her are we offending?
Speaker 4: There is a movie that he did with the guy that is a buddy of his who has transitioned into Have you seen.
Speaker 2: This at all? I've heard about it. I'm not gonna watch it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I think he's sensitive to that issue specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he wasn't saying that. But Tanna Reno wasn't transgender. She was just a woman who looked like Will Ferrell. All right, A public lottery will decide who gets access to this courtroom hearing on Monday. This is the hearing for Eric and Lyle Menendez, of course, convicted of murdering their parents in nineteen eighty nine. It was the guy squatting in the DA's office, George Gascon, who threw up the hail Mary, much like Russell Wilson did last night to try to save his seat and and it also was unsuccessful. There will be sixteen seats inside the courtroom that will be made available to the public via lottery that will take place outside of the Vanauy's courthouse on Monday morning. The people will receive non transferable badges for the day. Two stand by tickets will be issued for possible openings as well. They have been in prison for thirty five years for killing their parents because they wanted to ride high on the hog and have all the money that their parents worked for, but they didn't want to do the work of their own.
Speaker 2: There was tons of evidence to show that.
Speaker 1: But then there has been recent talk of alleged sexual abuse that did not pass muster back then, and why it does now I do not know. But prosecutors submitted at the behest of Gascon a recommendation for resentencing with Gascone calling for a judge to impose a new sentence of fifty years to life if approved by the judge the brothers could be immediately eligible for parole.
Speaker 3: Mentioned last a couple days ago.
Speaker 4: I guess when Susan Smith was up for her parole hearing that she had not been a model prisoner. Apparently there's a wrinkle in Lyleman and az this love life that could potentially cause some friction when it comes to his release potential release.
Speaker 2: Why would his love life have any role in that decision?
Speaker 4: Just because, at least because it was a contraband cell phone that he was using to communicate with this twenty one year old college student, despite the fact that he is on his second marriage already or is still in his second marriage. Lyle has begun a romance with the University of Manchester student, a woman named Milly Bucksy twenty one.
Speaker 3: Does that get any more British?
Speaker 4: Millie Bucksy, It's pretty British told her that he wants to divorce his wife of more than twenty years, a woman named Rebecca Sneed, to be with this twenty one year old. She refers to him as her boyfriend, even though obviously Lyle is still married. Sneed later said she had separated from Lyle, but Menendez found Bucksy on a Facebook group dedicated to his release run by Sneed earlier this year. Again, why are we allowing so much? Why are we allowing any internet access to these guys that are in prison in the state of Cali for murder, for murder, murder, murder murder?
Speaker 3: Can we just can we go back to the old days of it?
Speaker 4: If you can't get it on an AOL dial up, you don't get to look at it in a state prison.
Speaker 1: I saw the book Fair, big rig I saw that picture that was rolling down the two ten with Clifford on it. Something big is coming. I love the book Fair as a kid. That was just like the coolest thing and U And now kids can't read, well, we're having a literacy crisis.
Speaker 3: It's that they can read, but it's like one sentence at a.
Speaker 2: Time because they have no tension spasktok version of reading it.
Speaker 1: If you spend all the time on your phone, you have no tension span for sitting down with a book and listen. I've been guilty of that as well. I don't read nearly as much as I used to read. It shows Oh, we're gonna be hurtful. It's hurtful.
Speaker 4: Friday, Fine, you turned from the first to second concentric circle out towards the fourth concentric circle and told people that I was a D in.
Speaker 3: The first place.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually got some feedback about your circles. Let's see here, Jen says, Gary's consent. Yeah, which circle is Jen in?
Speaker 2: I don't know if she's in one of your circles, I don't know.
Speaker 4: According to the Cook Political Report, president elect Trump brought in seventy six point eight million votes in this election.
Speaker 3: Kami A.
Speaker 4: Harris seventy four point two million. But Trump's share of the ballots is not even half of the popular vote. It's only forty nine nine point eighty nine percent. I mean, obviously you want to round up, but it is below the fifty percent of the popular vote. The current margin of about two point four million votes, if it holds, would be the closest margin of victory since Gore Bush in the year two thousand.
Speaker 3: I don't even think it was that close.
Speaker 1: Well, there may be a literacy crisis, or is it just a tention span crisis? When it comes to kids and reading.
Speaker 4: There is a couple of different measures for how much kids are reading and how well they read. One of them is the reading scores in the National Assessment of Educational Progress, one of the most widely used nationwide measures of student achievement. And while in the scores themselves haven't really changed that much since they were introduced back in nineteen sixty nine, they haven't plummeted. They haven't plummeted during COVID, but they did go down a little bit.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 4: What has plummeted is how much kids read. They're reading, okay, like they're understanding what they read, but in terms of how much they read, it's gone way down, especially for just recreational reading.
Speaker 1: And I really don't think any research is needed. I mean, it's obviously because of the phones. And I mean you'll even know it in your life. If you read a lot or read a lot, it's probably gone down a bit, not just because you're staring at your phone more than you stared at anything before, but because our tension spans have dwindled. We get sidetracked very easily. I've noticed it with me. I'll sit down to read my book and then I'll be reading something and there'll be a word that piques my interest or something, and I'll want to look at it. What does that word exactly mean, I'll grab my phone, I'll look up the word, and then I'll get sidetracked with something else on the phone, and then it's a wild.
Speaker 2: Before I go back to the books. Awful. It's just I hate that I do that.
Speaker 1: But it's almost like my curiosity is like a beast of itself. Like it's just I cannot have any willpower over my curiosity and the fact that I can sate that curiosity immediately.
Speaker 4: In terms of numbers, in nineteen eighty four, the first year for which they did this question, thirty five percent of thirteen year olds said they read for fun almost every single day.
Speaker 3: I did thirty five percent. Yeah.
Speaker 4: By twenty twenty not when you were three years old, when I was thirteen, but twenty twenty three, they said the figure was down to fourteen percent of thirteen year olds said that they read almost every single day, and about a third said they never read for fun at all.
Speaker 1: Think about what that means, not to read for fun at all. You know, when you read for fun, it's a common thing. It is good to build your your patients and your attention span, and it just turns off a lot of the brain of the overstimulated parts of the brain.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really good for overall well being.
Speaker 1: It's not just you're taking in information, it just it feels good to read. And if if you're not doing that, in fact, you're just over you're continue throwing the overstimulation spiral. What does that do for your mental health and well being?
Speaker 4: I find so many of these these types of circumstances or the way our brain works is very similar to the way our body works. And earlier we were talking earlier this week, we were talking about bliss point and audio engineering. When it comes to foods and ultra processed foods and how food companies make them more appealing to us, and that reminds me of the crunchy foods. If you have to the carrot for the example right that we used, If you have to eat a carrot, it takes it takes you a long time to chew through that crunchy carrot to get it down to a point where you feel comfortable swallowing it. And I mean your body knows that you're working on something that's crunchy carrot in this case, so that by the time you swallow it and you eat it, just a handful of carrots, You feel to your point satiated. You feel like, oh, that was enough for me, Now for a snack. Whereas if you eat some sort of a soft food I'm looking at you, banana nut muffin, you don't feel satiated, you don't feel full.
Speaker 3: And that's similar to this.
Speaker 4: If you're reading, imagine if that's sort of the crunchy, cruciferous vegetable that you're going through. You feel more accomplished, You feel like you've done something. You feel like even though you've sat down for ninety minutes or forty minutes or whatever it was, and read through a couple of chapters, you feel like there's a sense of accomplishment. You sit down and you play Fortnite for forty minutes, you get up and walk away.
Speaker 3: You don't feel like you did anything.
Speaker 4: It's that hollow analogy, the hollow mental feeling as opposed to the hollow physical feeling of being full or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, it's very true. Look at you with your truth bombs. You're basically a philosopher.
Speaker 3: But then if I had a pizza, all of that thought would just.
Speaker 1: See I'd forgotten about the pizza, And then you just brought it back up.
Speaker 4: Sorry, what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show. Let us know you can always send us a talk back on the iHeart app. Just hit that little microphone button and let us know what you have you've gleaned from all of the random stuff that we've talked about this week.
Speaker 2: I'm trying an exercise with myself to.
Speaker 3: See if I saying no pizza.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no pizza, But then you actually have to say the word pizza, and that's probably what your brain is concentrating on.
Speaker 3: Would you like an Ammond?
Speaker 1: Noah also asked somebody what I should I ask for counsel? Okay, but I asked somebody who I knew would sign off on my bad decision?
Speaker 3: Is it Oscar?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why did I know that was coming? A couple stories that we are following today. Judge Juan Marshan has adjourned President elect Trump's November twenty sixth sentencing day that was supposed to be Tuesday. This judge issued a brief today that allows the Trump defense attorneys to file a motion to outright dismiss the case. He laid out a briefing schedule. The defense motion is going to be due December second. This order also puts off any decision about whether the Supreme Court's immunity decision would apply to Trump's criminal hush money case.
Speaker 3: More on that coming up in Swamp Watch.
Speaker 4: The Kremlin has said that a strike on Ukraine using a newly developed hypersonic ballistic missile was a message to the West. They said that Moscow will respond harshly to any reckless Western actions in support of Ukraine. Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov, speaking a day after President Putin said Moscow had fired this new missile, named the Hazel Tree, at a Ukrainian military facility, in response to Kiev hitting Russia with US and British made missiles earlier this week. Whooping cough has surged in California this year. Across California, last year fewer than three hundred cases.
Speaker 2: I did it wrong?
Speaker 4: This year seventeen hundred reported cases by the end of September.
Speaker 3: Would you do? Did you send it somewhere else?
Speaker 1: I went too fast and I didn't say delivery, It said pick up.
Speaker 2: So I have to call them.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: The Rams host the Eagles on Sunday Night Football next a couple of days and then Chargers play Monday night. They will host the Ravens in the Hardball Bowl usc UCLA tomorrow night at the at the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 6: Hey Gary, just first question between me and you. Yeah, you know, to me, Shannon's always seemed like the perfect woman. You know, smart, funny, beautiful, love sports, used to be a cheerleader or all that, And I just wonder is that all an illusion?
Speaker 5: It all?
Speaker 3: What an illusion?
Speaker 2: This goes back to the Star Wars thing, doesn't it. Probably people tell me about your cheerleading days.
Speaker 1: What do you want to know about them? How long were you a cheerleader high school?
Speaker 2: Before?
Speaker 1: It was very hot Nevado on a Saturday Sunday. They're too awful, like you would just you feel like you're going to pass out, just covered in sweat. I'm going to call the pizza place right now.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the show, the show kid Nation on CBS. It was a reality show where they took thirty six kids, you know, from from preteen to to teen and basically sent them out into the desert near Santa Fe and had them live in their own society. The producer actually had picked. They called these kids pioneers.
Speaker 3: By the way, the.
Speaker 4: Kid The producers had picked four pioneers who said that they would represent the group in age and geography, and they would be the town council. Would these kids be able to form a functioning society, you know, with people in charge and with people pitching in to help cook food and gather food and clean the toilets, among other things, And to understand how a show like this could not only be produced but considered such a good idea. A lot of people were hoping that it was going to be the next Survivor, in that they were going to be able to repeat this over and over again. Remember this was this was a time two thousand and seven where just about every show felt like or was a reality show. George Bush was president w That is, Facebook had just started, and back in it was still called the Facebook.
Speaker 3: I was there, but not everybody had them.
Speaker 4: Helicopter parenting hadn't even been popular yet, and we were sort of on the last vestiges of I guess you could say wild children, wild only in that they weren't allowed to roam or they were still allowed to roam freely, and we weren't checking in on them all the time. One of the producers actually told Variety Magazine that he drew inspiration for the show from the Bush administration. He said that there were so many divisions in our nation. Does this sound familiar? So many divisions, political divisions, ideological divisions, religious, racial divisions. And he said, if you took extraordinary kids and gave them the chance to rethink government or religion or education issues that plague us then and today, what would they come up with? What would kids do if they had a shot at reshaping society? Granted on a small scale, but what exactly would it looked like? And that's exactly where they came from. The cast forty kids eight to fifteen, all walks of American life, all over the country. The casting director worked on Survivor and The Amazing Race, targeted the Rodeo circuit, targeted gate programs, Gifted and talented programs, beauty pageants, theater camps, and tried to figure out exactly who they could put together in this random assortment of children, if they could come up with an actual small but a society that worked.
Speaker 3: So did it work?
Speaker 4: It didn't work? They had a really the first of all, their parents. Well, first of all, the kids need their parents. Second of all, there were some labor issues with how the kids were actually being and it's a reality show. Finger quotes in that so much of the stuff that they faced was actually presented to them by the producers. So it's not as simple as saying just go roam free and make society. They had to come up with. I mean, there were contests, there were challenges.
Speaker 1: I just can't believe parents signed off on this. I guess it'd be nice to have some time away from the.
Speaker 3: Kid part of it. Again, different time, different time. We were naive in two thousand.
Speaker 2: This is embarrassing.
Speaker 1: So I call Roundtable Pizza because I had put pick up instead of delivery. I call Roundtable Pizza and they go, okay, Shannon. Yeah, pretty much like what's the name on the order? I said, Shannon, and they go okay, yeah, you're at thirty four hundred wes Olive. I'm like, mm hmm. They knew my address right away. Yeah, that was embarrassing. That might be a sign.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is why you have us do wellness desks all the time, just in case that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Work, does it?
Speaker 4: Swamp watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap