Speaker 1: Let's go out to the phone lines now and bring in my father stuck on the van wick uh. So we have we have Richard smith live in studio, we have Scott Leyden in Las Vegas, and my father Dave check Its joined us from New York. So I'll try to play traffic cop best I can. Hello, Dad, how are you.
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: It's been a great show. I've been listening and happy to join and say hello. And I don't know how I can add anything to what rich Richard and what Smithy and what Scottie said. Scotty gave the talk of the century at Frank's funeral. He just he just he caught his whole life just beautifully as only a son could. It was I was, I was sitting with the other Paul Bears, as you know, and all of us were we're grabbing for Kleenex because Scott brought him right right to so he recapped his life so beautifully.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you the same question to start that I've asked all of our guests, that included of course Smitty and Scott. We had Phil Johnson on earlier. We're going to bring in Ron McBride coming up in the five o'clock hour. But your thoughts on the life and legacy of Frank Layton. What did Frank Layton mean to you?
Speaker 3: Well, he meant everything to me. When I joined the Jazz in nineteen eighty three, twenty seven years old, I had never run a lemonade stand and Sam Badistone, on the recommendation of David Stern, brought me in and handed the rings to me and said, you know, David told me you you'd be able to save this franchise and keep it here. And David told me to give everything to you.
Speaker 2: And I really did not know.
Speaker 3: All of the steps that we'd have to take to turn into a franchise that wasn't rumored to move, wasn't going to leave Salt Lake, wasn't going to go into bankruptcy, he wasn't going to merge with the Denver Nuggets. Just you can't imagine the time that it was. But the first guy reached out to was a coach and general manager, Frank Layden. And I'll never forget how he He came to the Salt Palace to meet with me on my second day of work, and he came in. He was he was driving a car that the franchise had given to him to drive. And you know, here he is like the head guy, coach, head coach, general manager. He's driving this Toyoda wagon that that looked like it had been trashed that the Dealership of Choice had given him. But you know what his his great his great dignity is. I came away. I remember coming home, Dohn and saying to your mom, this guy is incredible. He knows everything about the game, he knows everything about his job. He's just never been given the support and tools here that he needs to really build something special. And that's my job. Give him the money, give him the freedom, give him the ability instead of drafting, you know, drafting players and having to sell them as they as the Jazz had to do famously. You know, I wanted to give Frank Laden everything he needed to hire the best people, the best coaches, to draft the best players, and we were going to be about winning. And when I said that to him, he said, that is music to my ears. But you know, he had never said that publicly. He always defended uh Sam and and Sam's willingness to bring the team to Salt Lake. But but that that became my goal and we became great partners in spite of the fact that he'd grown up in New York, I grew up in Utah. In spite of the fact that that I had I had no experience in the NBA and he had all this experience. All he showed me my whole life, my whole life was nothing but loyalty and dignity. He's he's one of the best people I've ever met, by far. I mean, he he had a character about him that was that was full of goodness and could he be tough, Yes, he could be tough. And he and I, he and I only had one run in the whole time we worked together, and it was over something stupid that had been said during a game time promotion, and he just let me have it. And I went right back at him and I said, Frank Book, I know I made a mistake, but we have always we've treated each other with great dignity. And you know what, he apologized like immediately, he just said I'm so sorry that there were other things on his mind, and all of the rest of the time to the most difficult moments, especially Adrian Dantley holding out on him and not reporting the camp and David Falk, his agent, just disrespecting the team, the franchise and us. Frank and I were just arm in arm. We were in lockstep, lockstep, and I really believe, you know, he turned it around because we got into tools. He needed to do it. And but in terms of what he meant to me, I can't I can't even I can't even say, I can't even say he was He was the most valuable friend and mentor I could ever imagine, in not just in basketball, but in life, because we talked about life a lot. We talked about raising kids, we talked about how to treat your wife, we talked about character. He loved people of character, and he taught me so very much. And one of the other is the last thing I'll say. I don't think there's any way I didn't have a choice when when Larry and I decided we could not we could no longer work together, I didn't have a choice. I had to leave. But I loved the NBA and I got my dream job because the Knicks were the team of my childhood and Spencer, you know this. I never could have gone to New York and she sheeted without having first been prepared by the all time New Yorker Frank Layden. He got me ready for what was a really tough job back there. But he just he taught me so many principles about winning and championship, culture and character, and I took it all in. I was just a sponge with him, and it allowed me, I think, for you know, to have a decade of success with the Knicks and Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 4: You know, Dave, we were we were talking about some of those qualities of Coach Laden's an earlier segment with Johnson, and I made the uh the analogy that to me, it was a little bit like the recent documentary that came out about Yogi Bearra and his granddaughter who did this film and researched all the information and said that that her her grandfather was known you know as the quote the quote master and the storyteller and all that kind of stuff, but nobody really gave him his due for for who he really was as a baseball player, you know, game in and game out, and his numbers over the years and all of that kind of stuff. And when you look at him, you know, his number is far surpassed almost everybody else. Uh In baseball during that time, and and also as a catcher in the game, and we were saying, how how that somehow, you know, sometimes uh uh came over into how Frank was viewed by the public because he was a funny guy and told stories and and did the stuff he did and public facing away, but behind the scenes, a lot of people don't know what kind of X and O's tactician he was as a coach. You know, how he was in the front office, how he managed the people, and all the things he did actually run the franchise in the early days when it was teetering, and all the things he had to do to keep all those, if you will, all those plates spinning on top of the on top of the sticks in order none of them fall off. And what great skill he had in doing all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: He was amazing and not only skilled and smart, but so caring and so committed. And I'm not sure he ever, I mean, even though he had those nice accolades Coach of the Year, Executive of the Year in eighty four when they won the Midwest Division title my first year with the team, So I got spoiled quickly because that just started a run of when we just made the playoffs every year that we were together, Frank and I, and it's because of the job that he did not exs, not just excess and those, but his leadership, his support is mentoring. I thought of a funny story, Spencer that I'll never forget. I was, of course, negotiating player contracts and trying to get players signed as quickly as I could, to always get guys in the camp and make sure we had the best players on the floor. And I was right in the middle of the Dantley holdout, and I'm just so angry about all of that. But there was a time later on Frank was still coaching where we were almost done with a contract extent for Mark Eaton, and he's Mark Eaton's agent. Keith Glass just wouldn't give up on this one stupid incentive he wanted in Mark's contract. He wanted an incentive that if Mark led the team in rebounding that he got an extra twenty five thousand dollars. And I I went to coach Laden and I said, Okay, Frank, this is the last thing we need to do. If we do this, he'll sign this new five year extension we'll be done with him and we can carry on. And he said, what is it And I said, he wants a twenty five thousand dollars bonus if he leads the team in rebounding. And he said, no, no, I'm not doing that. We're not doing that because you know that's exactly what we need, is him trying to take rebounds away from whoever's on the other side of the free throw lane so he can add to his numbers. We're just not going to do that. And I said, Frank, it's like twenty five thousand dollars in a contract that was paying eating probably something like four or five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 3: And I said, this is all we need to get this done. This thing will be behind us. We'll have him for five years. And Frank said, Dave, you know what, this is your deal. You do what you want. But I say, no, I'm against and so I went back. I negotiated for so long on this contract that I went back to Keith Glass and I said, Keith, if you tell me this is the very last deal, I'm doing this against my coaches wishes, but I'll do it just just to have it behind us, and Keith said, that's the last thing. We have a deal. So we signed the contract, and it was a full two years later. It was two years after we signed that contract that we're playing in a very tight game at home. I think it was against the Mavericks and we're at home and on a certain free throw I don't remember. I think it was Rolando Blackman shooting a free throw out. It's I can remember the moment like it was yesterday. And he makes the first free throw and misses the second, and Eaton goes up to grab the rebound, just as Malone does as well, and neither one of them yielded to the other, and they tipped the ball in went in the basket, and Scotty, you remember where I used to sit on the second row, just down from press row, and I see Rank marching toward me. We're in the middle of a game and I'm sitting with my I'm sitting with my family, and he comes over and stands right in front of me and he says, so, Dave, what do you think about your I'll leave out the word what do you think about her incentive? Now he inserted a little admit, what do you think about your blank you're blank, He's blanking incentive. Now, what do you think about it now? And he stands there like i'mus answering, and I just am shrugging my shoulders, like I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Scott, and Dad, I want to get your inside in this too. You know, Frank did something that really nobody does. And he would joke in later years that if he knew coaches, we're going to be paid four five six million dollars a year. Maybe he would have stuck around. But he retires in nineteen eighty eight, and as the legend goes, he had just been ejected from a game by Earl Strom after getting into a shouting match with Darryl Walker. But he also talked Scott about his desire to spend time with Barbara, with your mother and with the family, and you know, just kind of live his life a little bit. And you know, Jerry of course takes over and the rest is history. But Scott will start with you, then Dad will go to you on this. Can you shed some insight onto into exactly what that was like for him to walk away from a team that he had built it was ready to win at a very high level.
Speaker 2: I think I think the probably I mean, this may be an oversimplification, but I think I think it was a selfless act at the time. And you know, while while I think he had, you know, enjoyed coaching, I think he I think he felt good about coaching, He felt good about the team. But I also think he understood where there was a little bit of a tipping point that if we waited too long, we could lose you know, a great coach, and coach Sloan and his selflessness I think allowed him to step away. And and the other thing is and and Dave knows this well because they were really close, is that he had other, you know, other interests. It did like he wasn't he wasn't beholden to just basketball. He had so many other things that he he wanted to do and he wanted to do with my mom and my brother and sister. So it wasn't like he needed, you know, that that's all he could do. He was more of a renaissance man than not. And he also loved being out in the community and travel and and so I think he I think he was comfortable with where he was and what he had done. And now you know, it was Jerry's time, and no one was more supportive of Jerry Sloane than my dad, because if you look at coach Johnson and you look at coach Sloan as as when they were assistants, they were both capable of being head coaches, for sure, but both of them were so fiercely loyal, and I'd say it was a great quality. It was a great lesson for me. They were both fiercely loyal to my dad and that's what made those relationships work. So when it came time, I think it was easy for my dad to say, you know what this is, this is Jerry's time, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well go over to you. I wonder you know when Frank came to you with that decision, what that was like, and how eventually it went from Frank to Jerry.
Speaker 3: It happened over quite a long period of time. Right after training camp that season, he started to make noise like that. When I would talk to him, he'd say, Dave Man, I don't know if I can do this. And we had had keep in mind that I think our coming out party was nineteen at the end of the the seventy or the seventh, let's see eighty seven eighty eight season, when we played the Lakers in a seven game series. They would go on to win the championship, but we played them in a very tough seven game series, and actually when we came home for Game six, we blew them out like one oh six to eighty on our floor and set up a big Game seven, which we lost in La. But I was surprised because he was. He started making noise right after training camp about I hate getting on airplanes, I hate all the travel, I hate the hotel rooms. All of a sudden, he said, it's just it's just gotten old for me. And I said, but Frank, we finally have a team. We finally have a team that can do something really special. I mean really special. You saw what we did with the World Champs last year. This year could be better. We should be better. And don't you want to stick around to enjoy it? But he said, he would keep saying I just don't have it. I just don't I just don't feel it. But all these years later, I have concluded that there was something else to play with him. And you know he'll never he'll never confirm this. He would never acknowledge it, even though I pushed him over the years to say, I know what was up with for you then, And what was up was he did not want he did not want if he stepped down. He wanted Larry and me to have no choice. He wanted it to be Jerry Sloan. And the best way to do that would be to resign mid season, because I mean, we're not going to conduct a search then and select somebody else. I wouldn't have anyway, but Larry always talked about, you know, if Frank ever steps down, we're going to have to do a search. And I knew. I think we all knew that Jerry, even though he'd been fired in Chicago, we knew he was a great, great coach and a person of great character. I think Frank did that totally to force our hands. I've never said this publicly, but I think he did it totally to force our hand, to make sure that this guy who had been so loyal to him and was so ready for the job, got the job.
Speaker 4: And as I remember that, Dave, if my memory serves me correct, I think we had a game in the in the Salt Palace on a Wednesday night, came in Thursday morning announced to the team that that he was stepping down immediately as the head coach, and Jerry was running practice that morning, and Jerry ran ran the practice and then the team got on a flight that afternoon. I think it was to go to Dallas for a game Friday night, and it was just you know, just as you say, it was just like, we don't have any time to do anything else. This is what we have to do. We have to do this thing. And because we got a game with one night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we had, I mean all of us had agreed the night before that that's what we would do. And Larry came in too. Larry Miller walked into the dressing room well and we left Frank announce that he was stepping aside and that Jerry was was going to take over. And then Larry said, I want to just say one thing, and he looked at the mailman. I remember him giving the mailman at Death's there, and he gave him this look and he said, this was Frank's decision and only Frank, he was nobody else had anything to do with this. This is totally his decision. Because he thought Larry thought the players would would think that he had he had pushed Frank out. He wanted he wanted the players to know, and this was true. It was totally Frank.
Speaker 1: We're chatting with Scott Laden live in Vegas, Dave Checkets live in New York, Richard Smith live in Salt Lake City. I know both of you have to go, so we'll in with this and Scott will start with you, and then Dad, we'll go to you. I wonder whether it's pearls of wisdom, pieces of advice, funny saints, and I know there's a lot there. If you could share any of the great lessons you learned from Frank before I said both of you lose. Scott will start with you.
Speaker 2: Oh, there were many I hastened to do this, but I said this the other night or the other day at the during the eulogy, he had all these things and they were coming at us constantly. Words of advice. Whenever you go in a restaurant, immediately go in the bathroom, because whoever cleans the bathroom cleans the kitchen. Always leave a place better than you found it. Now, clearly Utah, Salt Lake City, the jazz were better than he found it when he left. Never refuse a breath, mint that sound advice and then my favorite and this is where I'm nervous, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Never trust a man with two first names. So I said, I said that what I don't understand. What what do you mean by that? He said, we'll think about it. Son, Mike Lee, Lindsey Graham, Paul Ryan. Oh my god, my daughter is my speech writer, so he said. He said, you know, I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democratic. And today's day and age. In today's day and age, it's like it's so poignant. But during the last several months, I can't tell you how many nurses came into his room and I said, coach, thank you so much. You're the only room in the hospital that has Rachel matt Ol and MSNBC. I'll leave it there. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you something because I worked with Smitty, I worked with Spencer when he was a young man. I can't I just can't get over that Internet that worked for me is now this radio. I don't know, You're like you're a dynamo. I just can't get over with you. Know, it's You're like, no, I can't believe you're the same person. And then I'm telling you I loved and I told him the other night, I loved working for day check Its because every day was competitive, it was intense, and we were focused on winning it all. And that's I appreciate the opportunity to have worked with you guys, and obviously work with my dad.
Speaker 1: So thank you, thank you for those words, Scott.
Speaker 3: Dad will win with you, Oh Scottie, the opposite is true. You were just a joy always to work with and and you know to shoe you work with your dad. Everything from the lucky ties you know, to you all everything we did to try and win. My favorite thoughts from Frank I'll just offer up too. I know he said never trust a man with two names, but he had this other thing, Scott. He said, never trust a man with a beard. He's hiding something, and he meant it. He absolutely meant it, never trust the man with the beard. But this was one of his favorite sayings. And this is why I think he ran out of gas with the Jazz. I think this had something to do with it, and he resigned too early. But he always said it's better to surprise than disappoint. And that was one of his favorite sayings. And you know what, the Jazz under Frank had started surprising people in that eighty three eighty four season. And in that eighty eight season, we had played the Lakers to a stancill. I mean they had to dig deep. We were the best team they played that year, and they went all the way to winning a title. And Frank knew that that young team had come of age, and he just didn't love being in a situation where there was only downside. He loved being in a situation where there was only upside because he knew he could prize people. He knew his team could surprise people. And suddenly, instead of the underdog, the lovable underdog, the Jazz had become a real force in the NBA. Well daved and and Scott good I was just gonna I love I love him, I'll miss him and love the whole Laden family.
Speaker 4: You know, I was just going to add just a little anecdote, David Scott. You know, I remember Frank Scott when when Scott first got to New York and got situated and brought Frank in and and Frank came home from the first visit in New York and and I'm visiting with him. We're out to dinner, and he said, hey, look at this. He takes out his key ring and he shows you and and I said, what is that, coach. He goes, see this key right here, I go. I go, yeah, he goes, that's the key from Aison Square garden. And I said for the garden. He yeah, they gave me the key to their garden. This opens every door in the garden. And and he just had this twinkle in his eye, like I've gotten right to the top, right at the right. Now I'm at the pinnacle. This is it. I got a key to the garden. I can't get in any door I want. And this was he was so proud of that and was so so excited to show me that he had the key. It was funny.
Speaker 1: Scottie, Dad, we'll set you loose.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You can't thank you enough. I know you both have things to do. So this has been awesome. Travel safe and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: All right, Thanks guys, Scott Labe so much. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Scott by Dad. Scott Laden live in Vegas. Dave Checketts live in New York. Richard Smith live in Salt Lake,