Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. And I'm Stephen, and.
Speaker 2: This is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the Dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I'm all right, tic tic, taking.
Speaker 2: Along another week in the dream Factory, absolutely not giving up to anything exciting. Hmm.
Speaker 1: I'm dredging my memory now to thank you, but not really. No, sadly, how about you.
Speaker 2: I had a fun morning of three back to back e learnings that I've been putting off.
Speaker 1: Oh fun.
Speaker 2: That outlook just kept pinging me with reminders from the like learning Portal thing, one of which was for stress, which didn't feel very When you start getting messages of your manager will be informed if you've not done this. Yeah, and it's about stress. Yeah, the irony was not lost. Yes, and then I finished all those and then a fourth one popped up and I'm like, off, go away, leave me alone. Yeah, that sent my colleague that meme with the old lady going another one I.
Speaker 1: Can't keep up. Yeah, I always find it quite funny how like everyone's so into mental health these days and it being like a hot topic, and like managers set you trainings about stress and stuff, and that's like, that's that they've done their bit. They don't have to worry about how they're treating you in the job and everything. Yep, they've given you an e learning course.
Speaker 2: So that's that, Like boxes are being ticked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, last week's hair was an interesting one. It was we might have to play this one a couple of times, so yeah, let's listen back to it. So, like just watching this scene, just like all I can think is just I just remember Nick Clift in his dressing room, dressing gown. Sorry, I just remember Nick Clift in his dressing room. But Nicklift in his dressing room.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So if you couldn't quite make that out, it was Bernie Clifton's dressing room.
Speaker 2: Genuinely very impressed, thank you.
Speaker 1: That was one we were thinking, how the hell are we going to get that in?
Speaker 2: It's one of about five, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: One down? Yes, well done, very well done.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Listen out for another one this week.
Speaker 2: Indeed, as we discuss how do you plead? Series six, Episode five, plot summary, you've got this week is Webster the Famous I was gonna say Barister, the famous Barrister. Webster the Famous Barrister is not well and not an easy man to look after his care Urban knows how to take the rough with the smooth, dishing out the drugs, or appealing to the old man's vanity. But on this particular night, something is coming that will test Webster's resolve and his legal skills to the very end.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Thought it's okay, Yeah, yeah, yeah, roll the credits. Yeah, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I enjoy it? Yeah? I think Jacoby does a fantastic job.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's always good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Characters are great. Is it the best twist in the world in a way, No, but not really certain elements of it I really like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that the one person they could break their rule for was Derek Jacoby, which is totally understandable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, don't they argue something like he's not been physically on the Yeah, they can argue it with it sound alike in the last one, if you really want to push it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was maca packer from in the night. What.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was him until very recently. That was so weird.
Speaker 1: He's got such a wonderful voice, such a musical voice. Yeah, there's one line he's got that just keeps going through my head. Later on in the episode, when Urban wakes up and he just goes, I thought it was me that needed sleep. It's so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Where do we start. We're in a lyft.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, does any lift in this day and age actually have an attendant?
Speaker 2: A little? Yeah, I know, because I feel like I don't want to be old. Robots are stealing my jobs. But a button, I don't really feel you need someone to press a button for you.
Speaker 1: No, Although I suppose it's a luxury thing, isn't it. It's a bit like, oh, we're so fancy we have a person who does it for you, like having a doorman or something, I guess.
Speaker 2: But again, the robots replacing your jobs thing. I understand why it's good to keep people doing jobs and stuff. Equally a job where you literally sit in a box all day, especially for an old man that probably doesn't leave. You're sitting there to press a button twice a day to let his doctrine and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like give give the give.
Speaker 2: A robot that job. Yes, it almost started at this. When I watched that, I was wondering whether it was a period episode to start with. Oh, yeah, and it was going to be sett in like the nineteen twenties or something. Yeah, but judging by Reese's costume, I'm guessing well no, And it did talk about dates and don't they So yeah, it definitely is modern day. Yeah, I found that a little bit strange. It is a little bit necessary for later, but yeah, a bit strange.
Speaker 1: I guess I've just not been in push enough buildings.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, are we just is it not even a case if you have to suspend his belief? Maybe that literally does just happen.
Speaker 1: Still, That's what I'm thinking. Yeah, I've not come across it, but yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we're not in the right tax bracket by a long way to know the answer to these questions. Right in, if you have a man that lives in your lift. Do you know about it?
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's meant to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not in the wall situation.
Speaker 1: Did you like the murals on the wall when you get outside the lift.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they spotted them before or tormented souls around the lift.
Speaker 1: They like lacing in their little hints, and.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of them in this one as well, if you really listen out for them. It's a bit of steak out style, so many little sayings and things that mean something.
Speaker 1: M so Reese's character whose name is Urban Bedford. Yes, I always think sounds like a coffee table book, like Urban Bedford as seen from the Sky or something. Yeah, it's a very strange name.
Speaker 2: It is a weird name. I assumed it was going to have been a character in a bit, like you know, Varney character or whatever. Like I kind of figured that that was maybe something, but not that I've been able to find.
Speaker 1: Apparently it is very slightly who Okay, both Webster and Urban I did.
Speaker 2: Find Webster, yes, yeah, from a nineteen thirty six book, The Devil and Daniel Webster.
Speaker 1: That's it, and was also made into a film a film. Yeah, so that's that one. And apparently Urban is named after someone called Urbane who was a real historical persona a priest or something who potentially was accused of doing deals with the devil or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe I was googling the full name and not getting anything. Yeah, yeah, that might have been why I just got lots of houses in center of Bedford exactly.
Speaker 1: It's funny name, isn't it. And his cousin Rural. I couldn't think of an ending to that.
Speaker 2: And the random Kurt for no real is it Kurt?
Speaker 1: It is Kurt?
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't really know what he adds massively.
Speaker 1: I'm a bit confused because he's not a doctor, is he?
Speaker 2: No? I think?
Speaker 1: So what is he?
Speaker 2: To Webster? That's sort of maybe his like butler or like secretary or something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he pa or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man servant or whatever you yeah, go back in olden times, say, I don't know what the equivalent nowadays is. They don't have them because it's probably illegal. But I don't know, yeah, PA type thing, I guess, yeah, but I'm not really sure his role adds other than a bit of comedy.
Speaker 1: M a bit of setting him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it gives you a chance to talk to Urban, not around Webster. Yeah, because he does change a bit. He's a lot more flowery when he's when he's talking to Webster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and a lot camper.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess it's it's showing that the Urban has two sides to him in a way. I guess maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of expected he was going to come back in some way. But oh, Kurt, Yeah, but that's him done.
Speaker 1: That's him done. Yeah, Kurt, we hardly need so bit of background then, So is it do we find out his name is? Is Derek Webster?
Speaker 2: We don't Webster, it's just Webster. He does get a d Webster, yeah, which I guess is the Daniel bit from there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I suppose, yeah, not to that still, I think I was thinking Derek because Derek Jackoby. But yeah, so he is a former extremely high flying lawyer and is his birthday party. It's been his birthday party, and he's dying basically he's impalliative care yep. And so yeah, Reese is his nurse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've just noticed though that this this is the presumably the penthouse suite of this building that seems to only be a little anti room in a bedroom mm, I can't. There's no real there's a little blass roomy type area.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: You'd think a penthouse would be bigger, he would, or at least have big doors off to other rooms.
Speaker 1: Yes, apparently they repurpose the set from Simon says, which you can't tell that at all. Doesn't look anything like it. But yeah, it's the same.
Speaker 2: I can't even work out which orientation is No. No, well done, well done set people. Yes it is a cool set though lovely. There's a lot going on in it. Yeah, like so much design work's gone on with all. It feels really lived in m hm, like an anti shop mm hmm, which is why things like the tormented souls around the lift don't really stand out exactly fit perfectly.
Speaker 1: You just over them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Webster is not a happy man. He's shouting and screaming and swearing left, right and center. He's very glad that his birthday guests have gone. Does not seem to be having a good day. No, so Race has turned up, got called in. He's only been there at lunch time, but he's back again to miss his plans to see his friend Dolly at the Is it the albut Hall.
Speaker 1: I think yes, BBC Concert Orchestra, she plays the clarinet.
Speaker 2: She does. I have to edit my question for Netflix episode.
Speaker 1: I mean what what what does she play? I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then so we get this interesting, weird relationship between the two where they kind of sort of hate each other and sort of seem to like each other at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice, quite nice love hate thing. Yeah, bickering, you know that kind of thing. And yeah, Reese is really camping up, very funny.
Speaker 2: He almost became a bit moreene. I thought the voice is almost like that.
Speaker 1: He even says the word protocol at one point. Yeah, but yeah, he seems like such a sort of sweet, harmless character.
Speaker 2: You know, like, yeah, we should know about that means nothing. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also thought, weirdly, when he's saying goodbye to Kurt, I thought he for a second sounded like Alan Bennett when he went loved to Janine in that this. But yeah, it's a nice character and they've got you know, I like the way they build up character by sort of referencing things that Webster's noticed about him, Like he says, you don't even swear, do you? And it's like I happen. No one to blurnt out fiddlesticks in moments of crisis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just like a little married couple, like bickering away and making jokes and like the one about are you mad because your antique road show whatever it was and three people been on you. Yeah, all Webster wants is drugs. He is not a happy man, but Urban won't give him any because he might overdose him, but manages to apply a story out of him with the promise of half a fentanyl. So, like you said, Webster's like this high flying lawyer that can't lose but has now got ill, and Urban wants a bit of wants to see what he was like, gets him to talk him through a case, how he would have how he would have solved it. I really enjoyed these kind of things that they do in films. I don't really know how, Like I like that he's sort of explaining, you know, what you would have done to get him off and all that kind of and how all sorts of works, but half it doesn't. And it really bugs me that he never explains how we'd have got out of shooting this guy's wife in the face. He just explains why he waved his gun around, why he tied her up and drove her away.
Speaker 1: Oh does he not? Does he not cover the.
Speaker 2: No? And it really bugs me, And I'd not noticed it until this time that he never covers that. So I just glossed over the entire story here, But.
Speaker 1: You glossed over the precius staughter xylophone, xylophone.
Speaker 2: How could I miss xylophone?
Speaker 1: I was thinking it should be pronounced a xylophony.
Speaker 2: That's what she goes by at school when she when she went to a Cambridge, she went by that.
Speaker 1: And the fact that he says about you know, my ex wife and his reaction of wife. His story is already stretching.
Speaker 2: We love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that hadn't occurred to me that he doesn't mention about the shooting.
Speaker 2: He produced his gun to get custody of xylophone, and he's driven, he tied her up, driven her away to their country.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Shack cabin or whatever. And when she said no, he shot her in the face. And yeah, he explains that he was cleaning.
Speaker 1: Explain what the witnesses saw. But then you can't explain why she's now dead, dead and got a massive hole in her face.
Speaker 2: Which, like I say, I think would be the more important part of the trial. Obviously kidnapped bad, but murders I would say worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I suppose if there's no witnesses at the cabin, then you can't prove that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Maybe he's not as good as we thought.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he just got he's not feeling well. Maybe he forgot that, yeah, exactly. Yes, So now we get the bit of him wanting so Webster very much wants to see his old files. I don't quite understand this. Maybe I'm missing something. Why is he so insistent on seeing these files? And what's because he makes out like he's forgotten everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think isn't the idea that because he wants to manipulate well, yeah, urban into into forgiving him, So he's sort of setting up this situation where he finds out, yeah, rather than just killing him.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm you know, I can't really push it too much out, jumping straight to the end. But I don't really understand what the forgiving him bit does.
Speaker 1: I think it emphasizes what a kind soul he supposedly is. I suppose which is important to him. I guess, yeah, I think that's what that's for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't really know whether Webster really was genuinely forgetting or whether it was just a big ploy, But.
Speaker 1: Now I read it as that it was deliberate.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he just wanted to, like, you know, get some some kind of solid proof that, yeah, he really is he's such a good man.
Speaker 2: He gives me that, right, So that doesn't actually play into the later bit. It just proves that he's a good person, right, Okay, now I can buy that. So yeah, so he wants his stuff out of there. He wants his old files, but they're locked away and you can't with the keys, so she immediately jumps to destroy the dresser. Yeah, okay, fine.
Speaker 1: Reese's character is so well written, the way he responds to everything before we get all the world's strongest man.
Speaker 2: Back in his days when he was a barista.
Speaker 1: And then you know, he goes and digs out his frocks and that line when he says, what made you want to be a barrister in the first place? Was it this costume? And be honest?
Speaker 2: And I've just got a joke about dogs trust and I can't remember why that's here in my note.
Speaker 1: Oh he's saying, you wouldn't have got rid of them, you definitely still have them. You wouldn't have given them to dogs trust.
Speaker 2: That was it. So I was like the shout out for potentially Woodgreens dog trust.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and now we get a nice little bit from and talking about his past and how he doesn't really he doesn't like filing cabinet. Why does he say filing I guess its because these files are in there. They are a filing cabinet on the because they're remind him of school. Yeah, and that's to tell the whole story about how he saw someone choke to death on a satsuma tangerine anderine who was the school bully, and how people just stood around and no one helped to just date the crisps mhm, and how it's really stuck with him, and how he tried to help but by sticking his fingers down this guy's throat, which he really cringes that now because it's not protocol er. Yes, and yeah, nothing really happened because of it. He just ended up making crumble and forget hurrying on with her day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So first thing to mention about that is that, according to Reese, that is based on a real experience of his. Oh wow, okay, although the person thankfully didn't die, right, he managed to dislodge it, but it was one of those moments where it could have gone either way. Yeah, and so you know he used it for this. But also this is it just me? But this this concept of a school bully, as if there's one person who is known as the school bully. Yeah, I don't I don't find that very realistic. Like it's a bit of a cliche, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, we had many exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they don't think of themselves as bullies. They just they're just people and they are our soholes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and hopefully now they're in prison hopefully. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I just I just found that a bit like, oh God, like you know, yeah, it's like we're in an Enid Blyton book or something.
Speaker 2: True. Maybe it was a small school. There's only twelve of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So love when he calls out Hetty Wayne through Investigates.
Speaker 2: I loved Testy Wayne through Investigates back in the day.
Speaker 1: So I've never watched it. You know, I should have because your outledge. Yeah, but no, I've never got round that it was a good one.
Speaker 2: I don't really remember anything about it other than her and what's his face from Lord of the Rings, Oh, Dominic, what's he called? He's either Merry up ip In, I can't remember which, it was like one of his first roles, and he's like her little assistant. Okay, and it's them two solving crimes.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: I want to say, somewhere like Whitby or something. It's like I think I think it's a coastal northern he sort of place. But yes, her just running around solving very small little crimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I've seen clips of her sort of squinting like suspiciously.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's a hairpin out of the old wigs and masterfully opens the filing cabinet. You know, total skills that normal people have.
Speaker 1: But I love that he even calls it out, like like in the films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so Urban's broke in, got these files and having to read through and he's finding out that at some point he's gone from every client to Websters has been found guilty until at some point it switched, it all started changing every single one after is found not guilty.
Speaker 1: Yes, I liked how you know he's been going on about oh there's I've got a weight of weight that I need to get off my chest and then the client's called a weight.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, nice clicked for me. So creepy point. Urban has a scary dream. We don't know the dream.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. But when he goes up to the chair and the guy's choking in the chair. When you see him like the side profile, I always think it's Steve, me too, it's not just me. And then he turns around and it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not you. But yeah, yeah I did the same thing.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just me.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, yeah, we're just instinctively anti more Steve, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we get sort of a nightmare version of what he of him recalling this event of this body suffocating and it's chewing orange juice all over him.
Speaker 1: Lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all a dream, it's all good. Wakes up in Webster's bed and yeah, like you say, he gets him at this point to sort of open to forgive him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we find out that he got this person off with false evidence that he obtained but attained it by moral means, and yeah, I was. I don't know. I found it a bit strange that because he goes about I let a guilty man walk free, like, but basically, isn't that just his entire career?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so why.
Speaker 1: Is he particularly? I mean, I know the false evidence thing, but it seems odd that he's emphasized that.
Speaker 2: I guess it's the first one. Mm so like everything else that comes after, it doesn't really matter. He's already done a massive crime.
Speaker 1: So mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the point when he sort of lost himself. Yeah, that happens really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is. He is.
Speaker 2: Whether I believe what he's saying, I don't know. Part of me was like, well, he's saying what Webster wants him to say, Like whether he whether he genuinely thinks that he forgives him, Yeah, is irrelevant.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing, because it doesn't matter at the end of the day, he's being kind to a dying man.
Speaker 2: True, I suppose, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: It's nothing to do with urban so you know, it's none of his business to forgive him for it. Really, No, I don't think no, But it's just he thinks this man wants to hear that someone forgives him, so that's what he gives him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does it really matter whether he means it or not? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also this is a man who we find out at the end has also done some bad things, and maybe he's putting his own experience on that of like, you know, forgiving yourself and trying to make amends.
Speaker 2: He's just saying out loud what he's been saying in his head.
Speaker 1: M yeah, I love that about I don't suppose you've seen Frozen. You're gonna make like Elsa and let it go.
Speaker 2: Webster's like, oh yeah, I watch it every other night.
Speaker 1: Oh Frozen two. That was the best one.
Speaker 2: I had to watch that with my little nieces last week.
Speaker 1: All Frozen one or two two? Oh, okay, I've not seen the second one.
Speaker 2: It's not as good.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't think it would be.
Speaker 2: There's there's a damn that gets blown up, which feels like a massive infrastructure waste.
Speaker 1: I bet you're fun to watch these films. Well, that's a massive infrastructure waste.
Speaker 2: I mean, they must have taken ages to take that thing. And I was looking. Apparently there's a third one in the works under forth. Oh really, and they're filming three and four back to back, which.
Speaker 1: You say filming, Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: They were like, this is the first time an anime thing has been done back to back, and it's like, well, yeah, because is it any different to doing them one than the other? I don't really understand the benefit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, no, not really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, we've we've got that for the next however, long amazing, I'll film them early while Adele Dozim can still sing before she invariably gets some sort of throat problem and suddenly can't do.
Speaker 1: It any Yeah.
Speaker 2: But back in this world, yes, so is.
Speaker 1: This when he gets the contract out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: With that opening his little little box? Yes, well, I thought when you said about a weight on his chest that he was going to reference because he has this key round his neck, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true. That's another thing.
Speaker 2: Is another layer on it, I guess, to open up this little box that we don't really see what it is. It's just see's a scroll of paper at this point, I think, and then the lights cut out.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to bring something up, okay first, which is the get back to my anal dates again? Okay, as we've we've discussed before.
Speaker 2: Having anal dates.
Speaker 1: So he says, three score years ago, Yeah, I signed this contract, and if we assume it's twenty twenty one, whatever, three score years is sixty years. Yeah, so that takes us back to the nineteen sixties, right, But the record book that he was looking through earlier that when it changed, when his luck changed, was nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: It was. And that's my other quick question for next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, is it just me or does that not tally is? Is that just a props person has not done the maths properly. Yeah, it should be in the sixties, shouldn't it when it changed?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, that would only make it fifty.
Speaker 1: Years, because he does say he does have a line later he says, I was one of the country's best criminal defense lawyers for fifty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I.
Speaker 1: Think they've probably taken that line and assumed and worked back from there, but not taken into a count the fact that the length of time he has been retired.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so yeah, yeah, that would make sense.
Speaker 1: Nothing gets past me apart from locations of hairs.
Speaker 2: I did think about looking at the dates, and then I was and then one of them worked, and I was like, okay, well that works. Yeah, So so I didn't bother to question it any further. I think you just wanted to be able to say three score and sound fancy. Yes, two and a half score doesn't sound as that's good.
Speaker 1: No, I just, I honestly just think that the props people put the wrong dates in the thing that should have been that should have been the sixties.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well that's true. Yeah, never mind, too busy painting damn people on the walls. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So yes, the lights go out, we get a power cut, and the clocks strike midnight. It's very wonderfully ominous.
Speaker 2: Yes, he'll be here soon. Oh yes, So at what point it you worked out what's going on? Oh?
Speaker 1: I hate when you ask me this because I can't remember, because I know it wasn't that long ago that I watched it for the first time, but I you know, I can't remember what I was thinking. Yeah, I think earlier than this point, i'd probably tweak to what was probably going on. Yeah, but I can't remember exactly.
Speaker 2: Whenever you get a lawyer that can't lose, oh, yeah, it's almost always this story, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Packed with the Devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which in a way is a bit of a shame. I think that they went with quite a cliched one, but I suppose it does work for the sort of second twist. Yeah, yeah, that's true that you think you're ahead of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you never are with them, but that is it's such a perfect kind of career to do that with as well, because it's like him being the kind of lawyer that he is that's getting guilty people off. Yeah, as it were, It's it's like, it's quite a I don't know how to explain it, but you know, it's quite a you're not really not exactly interested in justice or the truth. You're interested in making money and twisting the law basically. Yeah, So it's quite a sort of you obviously don't have any scruples anyway, yeah sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Urban goes and tries to fix the power and can't really get it back on again. I guess he can't. I guess it's not that the powers off. As far as he can see, it looks fine, and the lift opens at this point, looking moody. We get Steve back again. Yeah, speaking in the dark, so we get a bit of a chat about him being everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that can't be everywhered once, but I try. Yeah, and it's again, it's very obvious by that point, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you might or probably have actually worked out at this point there's some sort of deal with the devil situation going on here. Yeah, but what I think is really clever is that it's Steve that is the Devil of Christ, masterively done. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the first time I watched it, I've kind of forgotten he was even a character in it. I think he only got like two lines or something at the beginning, So you've kind of forgotten that he's even that.
Speaker 1: That's the thing for me, I'm watching it, you think, well, they wouldn't put Steve in a role so tiny as that, what's the point of him being there?
Speaker 2: So, I mean there are some roles like that, I guess I suppose. I mean, there's episodes without either of them even in it.
Speaker 1: But then that's what I was thinking, like, if you just you just not have him in it, then if it was going to be in a now I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, because the two episodes where one of the meach isn't in it? Are only in the first two series?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first series, and then they said that people were disappointed that they weren't both in it, so they decided they'd be exactly yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like, well, maybe they would just you know, shoehorn them in for like a line to keep them in everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because apparently at one point they were considering Steve playing Webster.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, that would be the normal way of doing it, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think he said it really needed someone who you could believe was you could believe was that close to death. And then he was like, not that Derek Jacoby is but.
Speaker 2: What was this five years ago? Still going strong? Yeah, but yeah, that would seem like the obvious take that it would be him and Steve.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I'm glad that like this and Steve, you know.
Speaker 1: He's so perfect. Now. I also want to say, like again, technicalities, but okay, we say he's the devil, Well I don't think he's the devil. Actually he's Mephistopheles, Isn't He's the He's the agent of the devil, right?
Speaker 2: Is that is that the distinction? I don't I don't know much about Mestopheles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I did Google just to double check. But yeah, so they're not the same thing. Okay, but it's a bit like, you know, if the Devil materializes on Earth, then Mephistopheles is the messenger.
Speaker 2: Right, like Metatron for God kind of thing. Another dote Jack could be character from Where was that good Omens? I think?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, of course, yes, sorry.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that, or Alan Rickman in Dogma.
Speaker 1: Yeah so yeah, maybeing picky again, but no, you might as well say he's the devil because shorthand.
Speaker 2: For tents and purposes. But yeah, yeah, fair point, fair point.
Speaker 1: Fucking love that joke about mister Mestopheles.
Speaker 2: Such a serious moment as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so I can't I can't believe no one's made that joke before. No, it's you, isn't it, mister Mustopheles. Oh no, that's cats.
Speaker 2: When they're really trying to play it as a serious moment, and then he comes out with that it's genius.
Speaker 1: Also, when a long time ago, when I was a teenager, I helped out with this theater company and that one of the first productions they did was Dr Faustus the Christopher Marlow play, so his version of the Faust legend, the pact with the Devil thing, and Mephistopheles is a character in that right. And then I remember we went on to our next production and the lady who ran the company, I just remember her saying, oh, I had a lovely email from Mephistopheles the other day, and it just tickled me so much. That Mephistopheles communicates by email now Memphistopheles at hell dot com kind regards, hope this email finds you. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great line that just twigged for me on this viewing of When Urban asked whether the power will be out of much longer and Steve replies with will be in the dark a little while longer, Oh, which I really like is like meta, Yes, you might have worked out that the devil things happening, but there's another twist coming that you'll be in the dark for for a bit.
Speaker 1: Yet I felt like there was more to that line, but yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, he looks so good with his little glasses on the end of his nose. He does so sinister, he really does. Do you know what it reminds me of? I don't know if this is just to me like quite a niche thing, but did you watch Tom and Jerry when you were a kid. Yes, yeah, there's an episode of that that just sticks in my head.
Speaker 2: Where intentional hair. Oh shit, fuck, that's not our hair.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, that's not the hair. I promise that's not the hair.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an episode of that where I think Tom dies or something. It goes up to heaven. I remember this, and then there's like this judgment of like, you've done this, you've done that, and he goes all the way down to hell again and I don't know something about Steve with those little glasses on the end of his nose and sort of the judgment and they're looking at files and things. It just very much reminded me of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can vividly remember that episode.
Speaker 1: Now, I know it's imprinted. It goes up a lift, doesn't he like an elevator? Escalator?
Speaker 2: That's yeah, clouds yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then he wakes up at the end and it was all a dream something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Spoilers for Tom and Jerry.
Speaker 2: Sixty years ago. Yeah, yeah, yes, Steve is some form of devil. The Scream of Webster and the doors flying open beautifully. Sh I love that. Yeah, do you find full? Little Jack could be standing there looking ultimate. Yeah. Now you're gonna have to explain this next it to me because I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I'll try.
Speaker 2: So the devil wants Webster back. He's fulfilled his you know deal, Webster's time to die, he can have his soul. So Webster tries to pull some lawyership to swap in Urban through some blah blah legalies.
Speaker 1: I don't get it, No, it does. It feels a bit weird.
Speaker 2: I wish there was like when you heard it, it was like, oh that makes sense, Like what look what he's just set up? But I don't feel like he set anything up. All he's done is gone. Well he's a nicer guy than.
Speaker 1: Me, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have him? Yeah, Like, well he could have done that with anyone, surely. Actually you just had to call an uber uber eats over and have some nice guy delivery his dinner and be like take him instead Uber souls. Yeah, I'll be like, you know this guy I know called the Pope, have him. He's nice.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really see. It doesn't feel like urban has done anything that would sort of have talked him into accepting his place. I can understand swapping him out feels fine if you can convince somehow the other person to agree to it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the thing, is that they would normally have to agree, wasn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is what I was trying to say earlier, wondering whether him getting his forgiveness was somehow part of it. But I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Whether him forgiving him was sort of like doing something here, but I don't think.
Speaker 1: Well, now, yeah, maybe like now you've forgiven him, you've sort of taken on that moral Yeah, something like that. I don't know. Yeah, that's a bit a bit old, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's something along the lines of first he says in English law. It's like, well, we're not dealing with English law here.
Speaker 1: No metaphysical law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a concept of substitution, which is just swapping one thing for another thing. And I feel like I wanted a bit more of a blah blah blahlah blah lawyered thing, like saying a load of things that made it make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's a very good point, hadn't I just kind of went with it because it just sort of he sounded authoritative and just made itative voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't say authoritative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's just a fluff for it, isn't it then? Yeah, but it's just tempting him as like this man's right here, and his kind soul would burn much more brightly than my own. That's that's how they sell it.
Speaker 2: But I either thought the devil or whoever he is, would be you know a little bit more astiiculer for the rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because surely he can't just take someone's soul if they haven't agreed to read it.
Speaker 2: Like, what's it stop him just wandering down the street and picking up anyone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if he really is such a kind man, then he'd have no reason to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I kind of would have preferred it be because there's this thing of you know, you've got this lawyer that suddenly can't lose. Going up against the devil would have been really interesting if he'd out lawyered the devil kind of thing. Oh yeah, it would have been interesting. Yeah, Like you know, in a bit, a bit like the joke of the genie that gives you three wishes, and your first wishes never be wrong. Oh yes, and then you've got infinite wishes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, if he tricks something, it's you know, it's a bit doctory of like trick them in, you know, with clever words, but level of with the extra level of he's a lawyer that's been given these powers by the devil and using them against the devil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have been really good. Actually yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 2: He sort of has, but not in a way that really makes any sense.
Speaker 1: No, mister, load of l fluff.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but either way.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he signs signs himself a new contract. Yeah, and the devil marches off Urban into the lift, who doesn't really seem to protest any of this, and he just sort of like, oh, I don't know, and just wanders into the lift. But yeah, second twist, Urbans not such an guy. So he was the bully. He murdered the guy with the orange satsuma tangerine pick a fruit. Again another problem I have. I don't like having problems. Yeah, so why the devil suddenly knows He seems to know everything as soon as a character wants you to know it, Yeah, which is maybe how it works. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I felt that maybe, you know, Urban was suddenly thinking about that, and he was right next to him and sort of just picked up on it. Like I guess mentally, Yeah, might not well go with that because he should have access to all that information. Yeah, but as he said, he can't be everywhere at the same time, so he just kind of overlooked it, I suppose until that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, are we also arguing here that a bad child doing something awful, Yeah, is worse than a grown adult knowingly letting off a lot of murderers. That is a good point fifty sixty however many years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was also going to say, I don't like how it says that, you know, people can't change and reform and get better, and you know, it's like once you've done I know, obviously killing someone is terrible, but does.
Speaker 2: That mean your mark for life now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when like you say, he was a child and he has he's he's done so much good since then trying to make up for it, and he's punishing himself the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can understand it from a theological point of view, Yes, he's broken one of the ten commandments, he will go to hell. But if you weigh them both against each other, I still think that Webster is probably worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, because.
Speaker 2: Either way, both of them are broken commandments, like Webster's bar, false witness and all this sort of stuff. Yeah, so yeah, yeah, I'm not sure on all that.
Speaker 1: I just I'm just I've never been very keen on this whole, very black and white thing of theology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, however, Urban Webster makes the point of you never even swear. He does when he's out of shot of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the trying to switch the lights on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe maybe he isn't that good a guy.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but swearing doesn't make your bad.
Speaker 2: Well I know, but I mean, but maybe he's just putting on a front for Webster.
Speaker 1: He does say that, doesn't he says, Oh, it's all a front. I just you know, he is.
Speaker 2: Maybe he is. Maybe he does go and kick poppies on a night, like when he's not there.
Speaker 1: I I don't read it like that. I read it that I think he's making himself seem even nicer in front of Webster because he's a dying old man and he thinks he's a sweet old man and he's trying to make him feel comfortable. Yeah, and you know, there's no reason why under your breath in front of nobody you shouldn't swear. But yeah, I do genuinely think he's he's atoned and tried to do good for the rest of his life, and he is a nice person. But it's just the way that this, the way that this is framed in this metaphysics, is that you've done that.
Speaker 2: Terrible thing, So it doesn't matter what you do.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter what you do after that. You might as well. He might as well have been an asshole on a shithead.
Speaker 2: You murder one, you might as well have murdered a thousand, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But just because they put that in the episode doesn't mean that they're saying that's the case. It's just one one view of.
Speaker 2: The world, and religion is kind of cut and dry on these things a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not go there.
Speaker 2: No, probably not.
Speaker 1: So, Yeah, so they swap it's what places in a fantastic little cut. That is great.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know if that is in camera, Yeah, because I reckon it could have been. Yeah, because you only see the back of urban, so that easily could be a double. You do see Webster in the distance, but then the door goes in front of him, and I easily Steve could have just been crouched behind the table and just stood up, So I reckon it probably was done in camera.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It's just such so nicely with the with the sound effects and everything and the music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, yeah the music is great.
Speaker 2: At this point, Queu going on about music, but well.
Speaker 1: I don't have anything to say. It's great.
Speaker 2: It's really goes and yeah, Webster gets is just asserts.
Speaker 1: If he descends into hell very very.
Speaker 2: Quickly, in a way that almost takes me out of it. It's almost comical.
Speaker 1: It is comical. The kind of cgi or compositive or of that lift is very sort of like it's an interesting choice PowerPoint animation, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think kind of just had it go really slowly down, Oh yeah, cool, and just have Webster begging and just getting more and more deranged, and then it just disappears out of you, and then you maybe you hear it thundering down and flames or something. I don't know, but yeah, it just really takes me out of it that it's so clearly cgi it is. Yeah. Yeah, I've also glossed over the fact that how much Steve looks like Uncle Harvey to me. Oh, I don't know what it is, but there's something.
Speaker 1: In this house we do not murder people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. If it's something he's got going on with his lips, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure, but yeah, yeah, interesting one. Yeah, I think for me, Derek Jacoby elevates it. If he was, it would be a lot lower.
Speaker 2: I agree. Yeah, I think what it's trying to do, I really like. I think. I think he's got a clever premise. But sadly for that, I don't really think they quite went as far as they maybe could have done with it. Mm, which is strange to me to say about them. The premise is there, Yeah, I think could have done with maybe a little bit more tinkering.
Speaker 1: What are you going to rate?
Speaker 2: It sounds really cruel, but I'm thinking of four I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking exactly the same. Yeah, I don't think that's cruel. I think it's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, in the obligatory none of them are bad blah blah blah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just in comparison and it's just how you feel at the time. Yeah, I'm happy with that, I think both of us saying a four.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's fair. Yeah. Cool. Well, big question. Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: Nope, I've got Scooby.
Speaker 2: I didn't either. Oh okay, I had to look it up, and I knew when I looked it up where it would be. Well, not where it would be, but I was like, it's in a room that is so full of shit that it could be absolutely anywhere. And usually when that's the case, they actually make it really obvious. Right, So when it's really easy to hide, they tend not to and this one is a very obvious one if you know to look for it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's when he goes into the wardrobe to get the wig box. It's silhouetted right in the forefront, like right next to the wig box. Oh okay, really big, it's like half the screen. Wow, it's only for free seconds. But yeah, it's very obvious if you if you know where it is and you're looking for it. Cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're at that time of the episode where I like to read out a message or a comment that we've had. Yeah, one that caught my eye today was one that we've had from Nathan on the Steakout episode, says, I love the commentary by you both. Feels like being in conversation with friends. Ps. I said three pounds too. At the same time that was in the quiz for Marian's cardigan. I saw four pounds and it was only thirty p so I'm not the only one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know there's a north south divide and how much we'd spend on these things, but the inflation to the south is not worth three.
Speaker 1: Pounds when she's been dead in it in a bar and it was wasn't particularly nice anyway, I got thirty p So yeah, do keep the comments coming in because it's always nice to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lovely, thanks Nathan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're back next.
Speaker 2: Week finally time. It is last night of the Problems next week.
Speaker 1: And a quiz and a quiz stay tuned for me to lose again. One of our listeners. Yeah, one of our listeners messaged me and they were like, I didn't even realize you did quiz at the end of the episode, the end of the series, because they've obviously been turning off before the ends. Oh no Ah caught you. So yes, if you haven't heard any of a quizz, go back and listen because they's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I win every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 2: I have points to make up. There are still theories to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But on that note, is it time to close the lift door on number nine?
Speaker 2: I think it is. But if you've signed a deal with the devil, you never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.