Speaker 1: Caalaroga shock media.
Speaker 2: My, oh my, we are having some fun now. Oh my god, I'm so emotional. I just watched the eclipse of David Letterman on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Now, my original plan was for this to be the top of Saturday's episode. Actually recorded everything on Saturday but the Letterman part. But no, we are doing a bonus episode. This is a bonus episode for Friday. If you missed it, there was a very robust twenty minute episode for the regular Friday episode. Please go listen to that. But we got to talk about Dave. Dave returned to the Ed Sullivan Theater on top of his game. I'm gonna play a lot of clippage here. I am so excited about this. This was just so nice to see Dave come home. And it wasn't what I've referred to in the past as establishment David Letterman. This was my Dave came back. You will see extremely nice banter between the two. I have made some edits for pacing, but here's David Letterman with Stephen Colbert.
Speaker 3: So, Dave, how.
Speaker 4: About ball in the band? Later?
Speaker 3: I'm a little and come a long way.
Speaker 4: Why is it so cold in here. Why do you keep this theater so.
Speaker 3: Cold so your beard won't make you sweat?
Speaker 4: Dave, thank you very much. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I came very close to being teary about that, So thank you everybody.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you boy.
Speaker 5: You know what happened backstage? I'm standing backstage. A guy comes over and he says he's from CBS, and then he fired me.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, cat astray.
Speaker 4: What is going right over there?
Speaker 5: I will say, And I have every right to be pissed off, so I'll just I'll be pissed off here a little bit.
Speaker 4: Because this theater.
Speaker 5: You folks wouldn't be in this theater if it weren't for me, and Stephen wouldn't be here if it weren't for me, and we we rebuilt this theater, and then Stephen came in and look at this.
Speaker 4: It's like the Belagio. But listen as well as we are.
Speaker 3: What is wrong them?
Speaker 4: Nothing's wrong Dave.
Speaker 5: As we as we all understand, you can take a man's show, you can't take a man's voice.
Speaker 4: So that's the good news of me. Thank you, sir. There you go.
Speaker 3: Oh that's very kind of you.
Speaker 4: You know what, I'm really worried about.
Speaker 5: What What I'm really worried about is what will become of the Jimmy's.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Are they going to be all right?
Speaker 1: We're We've got a plan to put them in a captive breeding program.
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't think I've ever heard that phrase. That pretty good, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Really great banter between the two. So Steven invited Dave back. I won't spoil it.
Speaker 4: Listen, is this the last show? By the way, I was told it was the last show.
Speaker 3: It is the last show of this week? Next week is the last show?
Speaker 4: Oh, so I'll come back.
Speaker 1: Of course, You're welcome anytime. Why don't you stop by Friday?
Speaker 4: That's mean? What you're so mean? But now is the will the Pope be here?
Speaker 3: The Pope?
Speaker 1: I'm still angling for the Pope? I still I listen. I'm a devout Catholic. I've talked about it on TV. I think that's got to earn me some points, right, Vatican works.
Speaker 5: Anytime you talk about something on TV, you got to be right in there.
Speaker 4: Buddy. You had you would have your own office in Vatican City. You're talking about it on TV.
Speaker 1: I'm be good, But you never had the Pope, did you six seven times?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Wow, JP two.
Speaker 4: We always I get a kick out of you.
Speaker 5: Bring in the big hat now, but seriously, but all of this is fantastic.
Speaker 4: This is not hotel stuff.
Speaker 1: This is beautiful, all custom made, all custom made, dave really expensive.
Speaker 5: It looks like from Is this from Wayne and Schuster? Is that where this comeshm?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's from Socco and Vanzetti's.
Speaker 4: Pw off a van Who owns this stuff? And what do you have?
Speaker 1: It's all this is an Eames like a very expensive probably fifteen hundred Pronouncedames. I don't know, man, I don't know. You're fancier than I am.
Speaker 4: But that's certainly not true.
Speaker 3: Okay, but all this was.
Speaker 1: Custom made by when we when we renovated, owns it is what I'm doing, owns everything. Oh this is CBS prop All belongs to the paramount CBS Corporation.
Speaker 4: Now wait a minute, are they affiliated with sky Dance? Yes?
Speaker 1: I believe we are all sky Dancers now yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is nice to be ashamed of. Something happened to it.
Speaker 3: It would be it would be the same day they were BA.
Speaker 5: Where I'm talking about Gene see the Jane Crest yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Alright, guys pointing, all right, welcome back.
Speaker 3: So I was, what's happening here, Dave?
Speaker 4: You know, you know, we know what to do?
Speaker 5: You know what we got to Ohio.
Speaker 2: So at that point some guys came out and took away the two guest chairs and Steven's chair. We will get back to what was happening there. So now the guys have nowhere to go, and they go sit in the audience for a little bit.
Speaker 5: The memories are infinite coming back here, more so this time than I was on. You were nice enough to invite me on a couple of years ago. That was a big emotion packed moment as well. The memories now because this thing has come to a screeching halt by other hands. And I guess the connection to my mother through the Late Show. She and I had a well you know what mothers are like, right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I think my mother and I only really finally became close when she was part of the Late Show production and we sent her to Norway.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: And people to this day, like that fellow, that misguided man back there, always tell me they loved my mother more than they did me on the show, and That still pisses me off.
Speaker 4: And I think the reason.
Speaker 5: We were not so close earlier in our lives is because she was named American Miss American Taciturn ninety years in a row. Here's a conversation that I used to have with my mother, David, that's not funny. We sent her to Norway and when she got back, I said, Mom, did you see any of the Fjords?
Speaker 4: Yes? They were beautiful. Yes.
Speaker 5: And then I said, well, what about Chevy's? Did you see any Chevys? Now here's a memorable, all telling conversation. And I don't want you to read into this all negativity, because I'm sure.
Speaker 4: It was good fun I get a call at the house. My wife and I are.
Speaker 5: It's a Saturday, and we're making Saturday evening dinner.
Speaker 4: The phone ringers, It's hello, David. It's mom. Oh, hi, Mom? What can I do for it?
Speaker 5: Well, we've finished our estate planning and you're not in the will.
Speaker 2: And friends. Let me take the break here, but let me tell you, sometimes, if you live long enough, you get everything you ever wanted.
Speaker 5: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert will continue with Dave Letterman right after this.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back at the Ed Sullivan Theater. We are on the roof of the Ed Sullivan Theater. One might call it a five story tower. Up on the roof are the moving guys from before, the two guest chairs and Steven Cole Bear's chair, And here we are at the top of a tower. What might possibly happen? Let's listen, Dave, Could you.
Speaker 1: Mind telling the folks out there watching TV where we are right now?
Speaker 4: This is like being back home for me.
Speaker 5: We are on the roof of the Ed Sullivan Theater building and I couldn't be happier.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful view from up here.
Speaker 1: Would you share with the people why we are on the roof of the Ed Salton right now?
Speaker 5: I thought maybe tonight's occasion would be a little sad, being the end of your run here, but this brings true joy to my heart. We are up here for the wanton destruction of CBS property.
Speaker 3: Now I know for many years I enjoyed this as a viewer. You can throw things off the Ed solved Right building. This is a true story. When I first got this gig, one of the.
Speaker 1: First things they told me before we even moved into the offices is that I would not be allowed to throw anything off of the roof of the ed Solivant building because.
Speaker 3: Evidently there was a problem with a previous tenant.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm so excited about this, so am I? All right?
Speaker 3: So I was never allowed to do this, but we get.
Speaker 4: It in all the time.
Speaker 3: I never did it. But we're at the end here, so all bets are off.
Speaker 4: Let's get to it.
Speaker 5: Let's go all right, this is These are the guys did the heavy workfuls cripple Jean.
Speaker 3: Yehi, guys, guy, thanks.
Speaker 4: For helping you.
Speaker 5: Guys will verify that this is actually CBS property, right, Okay, anytime you're ready.
Speaker 1: Stephen all right, Oh my guys, before we do this, Dave, I think we should have a target, don't you.
Speaker 4: Right down there? My friends, I think circular like there, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got the target. Here is the CBS ie logo. I have shared this in the Facebook group Daily Comedy News Podcast group. But this is just amazing. Let's go back to Dave and Steven.
Speaker 5: It's all fun until somebody puts out an eye.
Speaker 3: That'll do.
Speaker 4: Then we go get ready. Oh my god, yes we missed the target, but still.
Speaker 3: That don't worry Dave. We brought a spare.
Speaker 4: This is OK.
Speaker 3: Let's think about what happened last time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to a guest of the road. Yeah you just don't drop.
Speaker 3: I would, I wouldn't. Yeah, I would just go straight down.
Speaker 1: Let's show ye'd be ashamed of Wait this man on the island.
Speaker 5: What's your advice, I'd say, just look out for the wind and keep it closer to the bill.
Speaker 3: Watch the wind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here we go. Yeah, it's unwell, Melisabeth Levan, can we see that again? At swim? Will conclude.
Speaker 3: Out we have what dave do you want? Do you want to do this? One?
Speaker 4: Me is a little lighter, and now this is yours.
Speaker 3: This is my desk chair.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll say it by my friend.
Speaker 5: All right, how many hours of you and your ass spin in that chair? Oh uh?
Speaker 3: One thousand, eight hundred and ten shows.
Speaker 4: Here we go, Here we go. All right, let's give it a go. One a little my way.
Speaker 3: There you go, one, two, three?
Speaker 6: Oh you know, I'm sorry, we're up here. Bring on the melon and now we're getting somewhere.
Speaker 4: All right, stee, if you go.
Speaker 5: First, it's not the fourth of July, so you drop melons. Thank you, same to you.
Speaker 3: I think it's better if we miss I don't break my heart. Pam here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's let's ignore the target. Ready, yeah go yeah, oh my grin.
Speaker 3: It is like the fourth of July. It's a thing of man we're doing all right, I get it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go high.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go high out?
Speaker 4: You mean, yeah, far out?
Speaker 3: All right, I'll join. I'm gonna go for the manhole cover.
Speaker 5: Okay, God hopes there's not a maze there.
Speaker 3: Two three?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh, I mean it's like fireworks, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Galileo would be proud.
Speaker 3: All right, the network I sent over.
Speaker 4: One last thing. Oh, this is both of us, thoughtful of them. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The Late Show nineteen ninety three to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: So how many years is that?
Speaker 3: No way of knowing?
Speaker 4: All yours, my friend? Yeah. The aerodynamics of wedding cake not to be believed. WHOA what a day for a walk?
Speaker 1: Well, Dave, yes, sir, Hey, thanks so much for creating the Late thirty three years ago.
Speaker 3: It's been a pleasure having you back to the prom stuff.
Speaker 5: The pleasure is all mine. I enjoyed destroying stuff. It's great, great fun. Thank you for everything you've done for our country.
Speaker 1: Oh feelings, Mittell, Dave, thank you, anything you'd like to save the audience before we go, Well, not necessly.
Speaker 5: SAI late for the audience, making the folks CBS and the words of the great Ed Murrow.
Speaker 4: Good night and good luck mother, Dave.
Speaker 1: Lederman, everybody, We'll be right back with the strokes.
Speaker 2: And boy, what emotional farewell from David Letterman. You can hear it my voice. This is all the feelings, absolutely fantastic, and that is your bonus episode on a Friday. As I mentioned earlier, there's a normal episode for Friday earlier the feet. It's about twenty minutes long, and I will catch you back in the morning.