Speaker 1: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, presenting America's favorite young couple, Ozzie Nelson and Harriett Hiriot.
Speaker 2: And now let's see what's going on in the Nelson family.
Speaker 3: Go the phone, I'll get it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, Say where you are, dear? After all, there are three able bodied men around the house. David would answer the phone.
Speaker 3: Please, I'll get it.
Speaker 2: Are you up, dear? Didn't me answer the phone? David? You answered the last turn I did?
Speaker 4: Not a smart turn.
Speaker 5: It isn't either.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish somebody would answer it. Come on, boys, if one If he doesn't answer pretty quick, I will see what I mean. Now you've both lost out. Hello, that's a less flattering to Why don't you guys go outside now it's a beautiful day. Okay, pop, come on, man, hey, David, wait for me. All right? We allee you later. Bye. Who was it there?
Speaker 4: The president of the She asked me to head the Ways and Means Committee to.
Speaker 2: Raise money for the association. You don't mind, do you do? Oh? Of course not. It's for a good cause.
Speaker 4: They're starting a fund for hot lunches for the children at school.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a good idea. What are the plans.
Speaker 4: We're having a meeting this afternoon to decide. I told Louise i'd be there. I remember that this is the day you go bowling with mister Thurnday.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a dating. In fact, some of the girls on the committee think a bowling tournament would be a good way.
Speaker 4: To raise the money.
Speaker 2: A bowling tournament. M course, it's merely my personal opinion, but I don't think much of that idea. Well, don't tell me you've gone sour on bowling your favorite sport, favorite sport. I don't recall having made that statement, dear fact, I think it's a pretty silly game, roll a ball down an alley and knock over some pieces of wood. But you've always seen so enthusiastic about it. What do you mean always there? I just started three weeks ago. What was your score when your bowl last night? That has nothing to do with it. Just happened to feel it bowling as a childish pastime. I've lost interest in it. What was your score last night? There's no connection, Harriet. I feel this way about bowling even if I'd bowled three hundred last night. What did you bowl? Eighty six? I tell you, I has nothing to do with it. I'm just tired of bowling. It's as simple as that. Tell you how silly the game. There's the better you bowl, a less exercise you get if you knock all the pins down and make a strike. You don't get the bowl the second ball.
Speaker 4: But we don't have to make it a bowling tournament.
Speaker 2: I can hold out for a bizarre. I'm sure a bizarre or a dance or anything. So much of bowling is pure luck. Either the pins fall down or if they don't. I see fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a lot of the big bowling matches were fixed. Pin boy pushes a button and the pins fall down. I'm on a good score. You have to bribe the pin.
Speaker 4: Boy, okay, dar, I'll try and talk them into a bizar anything.
Speaker 2: As long as there'sn't bowling, will.
Speaker 4: You pick me up at the school after you and mister Darnbery finish your game?
Speaker 2: Is that there isn't gonna be any game. Son, he wants the bowl, he can bowl. I'll get down to the post office and feed the pigeons. And what times the movie starts on?
Speaker 6: He oh, not for a yet we got fun of you. Do you want to scroll up past the bowling alley just.
Speaker 2: To see what's going on, Well, I'll walk past the place. If you're figuring on coaching the end, you're wasting your time. Oh, I don't how you feel. What do you mean? I saw your bowl last night. It was pretty horrible. I was a little off my usual form. That has nothing to do with my opinion of bowling. I've just come to the conclusion it's a silly game and I have more important things to do. Well, I'm not gonna let a stupid game make my whole life miserable. I don't blame you are.
Speaker 6: I've ever seen a full grown bowl as cheesy a game.
Speaker 7: As you did last night.
Speaker 2: You rolled a fifty two. Don't make it worse than it was. It was eighty six and I had every break against me, and you know it.
Speaker 8: Frankly, As your friend and neighbor, I'm glad you're giving up there. With an approach like yours, you never could become a good bowler.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's very fair, Thorny. You know very well I had a hole in my shoe last night for one thing. Personally, I don't.
Speaker 8: Think the game is worth the aggravation, especially without approach of yours.
Speaker 2: Speaking of approaches, you remember the hop skipping jumpy met that we used to do at boy scout camp. Yeah, you know, that might be a wonderful approach for bowling. Think of the speed you could get up hop skipping jump. Well, not exactly. What I had in mind was more of a run.
Speaker 6: You see.
Speaker 2: That's to get up the speed, then a little skip to get you in balance, and then the ball swings back like a pendulum and to follow through. I think it's legal. See why not?
Speaker 8: Well, if you ever decided to take up the game again, it might be a good thing to try.
Speaker 6: See quite a few ballers here this afternoon.
Speaker 8: Now I see two alleys making down the end numbers eleven and twelve.
Speaker 2: Let's take twelve.
Speaker 7: If you get a longer run.
Speaker 2: Baby's quiet, bab The eady will come to order.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we have with us this afternoon the new chairman of the Waves Means Committee, Missus Nelson. I believe mister Nelson has something to say for her committee. Madam President, I write to the point of order. We haven't read the minutes of the last meeting.
Speaker 2: Well, are the minutes of the last meeting. I'm sorry I didn't bring the minutes. You know what happened? Girl?
Speaker 5: She made out of grocery that on the back and gave it to her husband for eighties ladies.
Speaker 4: Missus Nelson has a rule.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Missus Jones.
Speaker 4: I have a suggestion to make him be half of the committee to raise money for the lunch fund.
Speaker 2: Several of our members are in favor.
Speaker 4: Of giving a bazaar, such as we gave last year.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Taking any cakes for a bizarre then I vote to the bazaar. Well, it's okay if all the leverrits can take cakes, they're fifty. You know, we had quite a few complaints after our last cakes sailed. Mary's Jane, if you're referring to my upside down pineapple, okay, why don't you say so? I'm not listening any day.
Speaker 2: It's the cake fixey.
Speaker 5: Well, look a lot better than summer half size, dear.
Speaker 3: Girl, so please please.
Speaker 4: And Stone had an interesting suggestion a bowling tenement or how could we raise money with a bowling tournament? Oh, we charge an entry seat.
Speaker 2: Bost of my husbands would be crazy.
Speaker 4: About the idea. What do you think, Mary Jane? At first, I'd like here what Kathy says?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it would be a good idea. I don't think it'd work.
Speaker 5: It all well, some people are afraid to try something new, and some people's janis the first he rainski in that comes law always does.
Speaker 2: Anybody have a husband who runs a bowling alley?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Des a minute, ladies, what do you think? Berna? Oh, let's have a bazaar. I look dreadful and flack.
Speaker 5: Oh, order order crazy.
Speaker 2: Let's take a vote.
Speaker 4: All those in favor of a bazaar signify by saying I ah.
Speaker 2: All those in favor of a bowling.
Speaker 4: Tournament signify by saying I ay. Some of you ladies voted twice.
Speaker 2: I have an idea, girl. All those in favor of letting.
Speaker 4: Me decide to question, say I A, I of course.
Speaker 2: I on what grounds do you object? Jennis?
Speaker 3: I don't know what were we voting on?
Speaker 2: One hundred and sixty eight Thorny the hot stiff and jumped in it some game on best game I ever rolled?
Speaker 7: Its mee, Thorny.
Speaker 2: It was my approach. I know it. You know. That's the great thing about bowling. It's all technique. How about the first time anybody ever saw a hot skiff and jump on.
Speaker 1: A bowling alley with just now the first time you try to do about scared the pin boy today? Well it is a little spectacular, but what results Thorny, I must admit you bowl better today made all the difference in the world.
Speaker 2: Get the hop and the skies. Beg your pardon from now I'm thorny. I'll improve sadly you're gonna such a drive and a follow through. Just the hop, let's get you. Oh copy may make it easy. I was before you knocked somebody down. You know you want to try it next time you bowls, aren't he I'll wait till I get my pilot's life hundred and sixty eight. Boy'd you like to get into a tournament right now? Well, according to my wife the girls of the PTA, you're going to hold.
Speaker 6: A bowling tournament this year instead of the annual bazaar.
Speaker 2: Uh you mean they were going it all right? The chairmer of the committee, and I like a big dope talk to you into running another bazaar? Oh wh you did? Now?
Speaker 8: Don't you remember last year running all over town for lumber for boots, Going from house to house begging for old pothes. Why on a rainy day I can still feel where some woman slammed the door on my foot.
Speaker 2: Maybe I I can switch it back in some way. It's certainly worth a try. Yeah, it certainly would be swelled to get in with a bowling tournament. Now, yes, Terry, get the hop.
Speaker 9: Oh oh, I beg your pardon, mat ha.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank goodness you're home?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 3: Anything wrong?
Speaker 2: Uh, Harry? Is there any way of getting your committee to Chank's decision?
Speaker 4: Well, my dear, it came out guess the way you wanted.
Speaker 2: Well, you see, that's just it. Don't you want a bowling tournament? No, dear, I want a bowling to a bowling tournament. You're having a bowling tournament. When did you decide?
Speaker 4: Well, the girls left it up to me, so I decided right now.
Speaker 2: I took a look at your faith and decided you and bowling and chipped and made up. Oh, let me get story today. You won't believe this, Harriet, I'll try not to show it.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: One and sixty eight. Is that with or without bribing the tin boy? No? No, that's on the level. One hundred and sixty eight and you know the secret. I have a new approach, the hop, skip and jump. You see me in the tournament. Look out, show you the technique. I have to start down the hall here I.
Speaker 4: Love no boy, Yeah, you better stand back. Your father's about to demonstrate a new bowling maneuver.
Speaker 2: All right, no what everybody there goes the ball down the alley?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Where did that that? Pop? I say?
Speaker 4: I didn't move the ball?
Speaker 6: Attention Please warning to wall bowlers.
Speaker 8: If you find yourself playing alongside Auntie Nelson, play saying move over to the next alley.
Speaker 2: Well, you see, Autie discovered a new flying approach called the hop, skip and jump. It's pretty dangerous, but Ozzie has so much faith in it. He's just about sure he's going to win the bowling tournament being held by the Rogers Road Pta. He's not in the backyard right now practicing his newfound technique, rolling an imaginary ball down an imaginary alley and making imaginary strike with a hop and skiff. Oh, EMILU, been trying to guess what you're doing?
Speaker 9: Oh really, mother was the only one who had the splightest idea.
Speaker 2: Oh your mother, mister Nelson, What does demanded name no, Well, it's just a word, Emmylou, and I mind ed. I don't think your mother is a very good guess. I'm sure she is. What were you doing, mister Nelson, I was practicing, Emmy Lou. What you saw was my new approach, aprom. I'm practicing bowling for the PTA tournament. It's the new technique I invented myself.
Speaker 4: Daddy loves to bowl, but he is miss clever, added you are, mister Nelson.
Speaker 2: He never gets off the ground. Plus there are the conservatives who cling to the old fashioned message, well, what kind of a bowling ball do you use? Many kind of happen to have.
Speaker 5: You don't have your own bowling ball?
Speaker 2: You know, I just take out a ball at any ball, mister Nelson. Unsanitary, Huh, It's.
Speaker 4: Not that every good boy has his own bowling ball. Would Byron Nelson play in a tournament without.
Speaker 2: His golf cup? Would have Greenborough up to play without his baseball back? Would Esther Williams?
Speaker 7: Yes, I see what you mean.
Speaker 5: Don't think of a hockey players that.
Speaker 2: The second I'm still thinking of Esther Williams.
Speaker 5: You've got to get a clipment, you tadball your best without the property Clipton.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for the advice, that Meway. What I think the only clipment I need is maybe a new pair of bowling shoes and the old hop skipped them jump.
Speaker 5: Well, good luck and that you mister Nelson in happy last.
Speaker 4: Be careful now, dear, you know what happens when you get in a place like this.
Speaker 2: Boy, what do you mean all you need is a pair.
Speaker 4: Of bowling shoes? Don't buy out the whole sporting.
Speaker 2: Good store, Harriet, please, Yeah, I got some nice stuff here. Look at all these bowling balls. You don't even get bowling balls, I know, I'm just looking at them. Goss that got them in all different sizes and colors. Man, this one looks pretty good. Feels good too. Well how this had worked with the old hop skips and jump? Not at all? Looking for something? Oh yes, I wanted some sporting equipment, jumping rope and a pogo stick A half no I bowled. I was looking at some of this bowling equipment. Play those bowling shoes in the window, friend, and say, pretty good shoes, are they? Yes? That's pretty good shoe quality, rubber and the souls, I suppose the kind that clings to the floor and keep it from slipping. Yes, I imagine I wear size nine and a half. We have them at nine and a half. Shall I wrap them up? Oh? Yes, I'll they These are pretty good shirts over here, right, See they have the swing back. Yes, they're for golf. They should be good for bowling. I guess you could use them for bowling. The right kind of a shirt means a lot and bowling, wouldn't you say? Where You probably play better when you're comfortable them might as well be safe. I'll take one of these. Say how about these socks here? Which one? Although, yeah, those are tennis stocks like bowling stocks to me. You're sure these aren't bowling socks. Well, I guess you could use them for bowling if you wanted to. Will that be all? We know? Just looking at the slacks over here, and they look at this, they'd give a person good free leg action. Yes, they're quite rumored. Say the person could close and they that you certainly do make these things sound attractive. I'll take a pair of the.
Speaker 7: Hey, here's a nice gadget.
Speaker 2: I hear that's a portable seat they use for the races. Say that would be a good thing to have. At a bowling alley when you're waiting your turn, if all the seats are taken, well, i'll take one. Oh what's this over here? That's a tennis visor? Say? You know, if the lights were too bright at the bowling alley, this had really shaded my eyes when I imagine it were, I'll take one. Who maybe you can use a pair of these. Well they look like snowshoes. Yes they do, though what are they snowshoes? What would I need thee for?
Speaker 9: Well, while you're bowling, if there's a hole in the roof and it's snowing outside you, you won't.
Speaker 2: Get caught in a snow drift on the way from your sea to the starting Not just a minute. There's a limits of the things I can use, you know, I know, I just wanted to find out whether it walls. You know, I'm just thinking every good bowler has his own individual ball. It is a really good investment, isn't it. Oh, here we go. Well, frankly, sir, they're nice to have, but you can get along without one. No, I don't know about that. If you're gonna bowl at all, you ought to do it right. Maybe roll It isn't very fast. They're using a ball everybody else uses. Now with it that you don't play golf with another man's clubs? Do you a bowler ought to have his own bowling ball? You're right, I'll take one. I mean yes, yes, it's six good ideas. Just a mighty fine looking ball. Hair hold just at my grip too. Just a new type of ball, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, we don't know much about it yet, nade of South American hardwood.
Speaker 2: They call it the atom ball. I'll take one, thanks. Oh, by the wait, here's something might interest you. This little booklet here standard rules are bowling. It's just ten fans. No, thanks, definitely not. The answer is no, okay, I'll get you your check. How do you like that, harryt a book of bowling rules. You have to watch these clerks. They'll try to sell you everything in the store less. You're a beautiful ball, isn't Harriet? I can just see it whirling down the alleys, scattering those tins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you don't stop polishing it, you'll wear it down the billiard bawl.
Speaker 2: What's this? What's fanatic? Well, the wood in the finger holes is dance green wood. Baby, maybe it's full of wire, Harry, do you think a ball like this ought to be danced?
Speaker 4: You know, just off hand? Dar, I'd hazard a guess and say no.
Speaker 2: You suppose it's properly cured, Harry. This could be serious. The tournament starts at three o'clock, you know, and matter of fact, I should be over there right now. Wait a minute, I have an idea. How do they dry wood with heat? Harriet turned the oven on low. Oh, yeah, it's the only way to dry it out slow, even heat.
Speaker 4: It's your bowling ball.
Speaker 2: Oh, David, Oh, I'm glad you can't listen to this carefully. It's very important. I have to go over and help your mother with the arrangements. So at three o'clock, ask emmy lud to shut off the oven and you bring my bowling ball over to the alleys.
Speaker 4: Okay, you mean you're gonna put that bowling ball in the oven?
Speaker 2: Yes, it needs to be baked out of it to step aside. Then, see, they evidently didn't season this ball properly, so I'm just warming it up just enough so it gets its shape perfectly. Oh he puffing. You sure know everything, well, not quite everything, no, but you.
Speaker 10: Should know stuff that nobody else knows.
Speaker 2: It's the old hop skiff and jump.
Speaker 6: You're some jolmer.
Speaker 4: Yes it is there, but don't tire yourself out before the tenemates started.
Speaker 2: Yes moments announce.
Speaker 4: My husband and I've been watching when you have to kipping and we don't think it's legal.
Speaker 2: Why is it legal? There's any doubt about it? Ask missus Brooks. He's counting the room committee.
Speaker 4: Well, missus buck scared. It's a hop skip and jump legal and bowling.
Speaker 2: How should I though lighting a bowl in my life? Oh? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be. I voted for a bazaar.
Speaker 4: I know, well I don't think it'shid be allowed.
Speaker 2: Oh, stop thinking on what it is? Bizarre, h I was going to take a delicious stake. No, you actual sister of bolling. Sir, Okay, okay, okay, okay. I'll bowl without my.
Speaker 9: Hop skiff and jump atension everybody we have for any end, Baz, that's if that is the start of the tournament right.
Speaker 2: Away, expect me to bowl my bowling bowl over the here's three a block and I can't use my hop skip and job. Dear, please don't make a scene about marry.
Speaker 1: That's not fair, no, dear, but please I refuse the bowl.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, please don't disrupt the tournament. Remember your college code dere supporting.
Speaker 2: To the end. Okay, I'll do it for you, Harriet, but I won't consider it the regular tournament. I'll just bowl an exhibitions. That's right.
Speaker 4: Can you go out there and make an exhibition of yourself?
Speaker 2: They are as What does I hear about you? I got a chance to win Thorny, not in the individual play, but in the family. Now, oh great, what what's this called? Well, if pepick missus lads been, he and his wife will only have a nine point lead on it if she doesn't change the rule. That's hoping, missus. S If I only had my item ball here, i'd have been way out in front of the husband's match. I could have used my hot skipping jump. Oh look look they go to Petrick's night ball. Oh yes, he miss dear.
Speaker 3: It's up to you.
Speaker 2: I know you can do it. Well, go ahead here, everyone's watching.
Speaker 6: Oh he's a striker, as fair us.
Speaker 2: Okay, he goes.
Speaker 6: He's really got great ball, Marian.
Speaker 2: Look how he lifts that ball out of the rack.
Speaker 6: Very professional. Notice how he uses the rosin rat.
Speaker 2: Great ball now watching bowl?
Speaker 6: Oh good, heavens he's back to that rumberg.
Speaker 2: Should I open my eyes? Now?
Speaker 6: What a tough break? Uh, you only got eight tens?
Speaker 2: Then I still have a chance. I could get to my phone.
Speaker 6: No, yeah, a seven ten split?
Speaker 2: What's that? See the end pins in the back row across the alley from each other. Shot is practically impossible to make. Oh tay this day? Did you take a ball? You're just in time, David? What took it so long?
Speaker 4: You see when we hit the ball, the evident was too hot, so we had.
Speaker 2: To put it in the refrigerator.
Speaker 4: Over Please say, let's give us put bowling balls in the refrigerator.
Speaker 2: Will give me the ball on his course? Cold? They sing?
Speaker 4: Now, will you please stop breathing on the ball and bowl were waiting.
Speaker 2: Card, I still have a chance. But I could hit that left tin on the right side and knock it all the way over to the right pod. Look man, well here goes he's flitting fire the ball and split. It's bin.
Speaker 6: We went.
Speaker 3: The ball the wire. I have been after you book.
Speaker 2: And there's no mention of the ball. Clinics naturally not. It's never happened before. Okay, I care what I'll do. I'll make a deal with it. I'll roll the whole frame over again. But you've gotta let me use my hot skip and jump approach.
Speaker 4: Well, very well, it's now and the text sends it's the deal.
Speaker 2: Where's that fall out of using all leaving? Harriet? Is this the one?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: This one?
Speaker 2: I don't think so what's the difference. They're all practically alive. Okay, because I can use my approach, let me have it. Wait, is that some whole a little tight? No? No, this will be all right everybody. Mister Elton has been given another.
Speaker 3: Sent a boat rolled.
Speaker 2: Luck. There here goes.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 2: Every week?
Speaker 3: Is it anything serious?
Speaker 2: Doctor?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: Here recovering a day or two?
Speaker 2: Just keep him quiet? Oh what happened? Where am I? Oh? Now life? Do your hole?
Speaker 7: Don't try to move there, Harriet.
Speaker 2: The tournament we won there. There was some argument at first, but the rules committee decided you should get the Loving Cup. Oh oh, it's pretty, isn't it.
Speaker 4: They thought at first you made the strike with your head, but there was no bump on it, so the ball must have hit first.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. And in view of everything else.
Speaker 6: They decided you.
Speaker 4: Ought to have some sort of victory.
Speaker 2: Harriet. Something wrong with my arm. I can't lift it.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't worry about that. There as soon as the swelling goes down, they're taking the bowling ball off of it.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the adventures of Ozzy and Harriet. This is the United States. I'm Forced Radio Service, the voice of Information, and let's you take ever