Speaker 1: It's the lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and carn S e O and JP Sorrows.
Speaker 2: He's a lapsed fan and all my years and wrestling.
Speaker 3: You never seen anything.
Speaker 4: And it's the laps fan man like the one in the ring.
Speaker 5: Forget about Sado.
Speaker 6: He the real king of swing when the bell goes in with the kick like me throon in the corner.
Speaker 5: But it's lash like stick.
Speaker 4: Even Jerry King can take off the crowd nodded in.
Speaker 7: His head like it.
Speaker 5: Steve low Brown would get.
Speaker 4: Low down, go even high up, flipp you on your head.
Speaker 8: But you know cool, drive, speak out and Dragon spits fire give you more shock than when Edge treats higher dropping more truth than the con of sniper unless you would a coconut.
Speaker 5: Roddy Piper, Jack a JP.
Speaker 2: He like j Y d drop the.
Speaker 4: Cupcakes and gold the brain.
Speaker 6: Bob Beans the best podcast first start to close round you all.
Speaker 5: He's a classic and post do.
Speaker 9: You know what?
Speaker 8: A former w CW Operations employee by the name of Richard Steinberg told the website Pro Wrestling Stories dot Com that Sid was wailing in the back of the ambulance after the stabbing incident with dron Anderson in England. He was not only not only did it occur to Sid to scream, I don't want to die.
Speaker 3: It's so awful. It's so it's like, it's so awful.
Speaker 10: Lab at that.
Speaker 8: But according to this Richard Steinberg, Sid also had this thought crossed his mind. And you knows, I'm messed up my big chance to be w CW World champion.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, No he did not.
Speaker 8: For Sid, he knew and that ambulance that plans couldn't, you know, stay on the rails. If he wanted to preserve the opportunity to win the world title, perhaps you shouldn't have come back from the stabbing and demanded more money the WCW was willing to give him at the contractual bargaining table. Yeah, as we talked about last time in our TLF tribute to Sid, there certainly were more chapters to the story after the late October scissor fight for lack of a better term between Sid, Vishes and arn Anderson, which of course procruited his WCW departure in nineteen ninety three, and for all we know his departure from the business. Because now Sid's got to be kind of a third rail, right, I mean yeah, I mean arn Anderson, a deeply respected veteran in the business, with friends in all the offices. He almost killed the guy. I mean, it's going to be tough getting booked again, right, he would think, so.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't imagine there's any now he's done.
Speaker 8: It's not like he still has the run of his life and those world title reigns still ahead of him, of course, right, Not like he's good. It's not like he has probably what accounts to like eighty percent of his career earnings and the wrestling business still ahead of him after doing that. It's not like the wrestling business teaches us these lessons. It's not like people are, you know, texting me saying, I watched the Vince Netflix thing. I don't know nothing about wrestling. You supported all this, you knew about all this. This wasn't new to you. This wasn't new to you.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. Remember that it's not new.
Speaker 8: As we talked about Ollly Anderson had been fired from WCW, Bischoff had taken over, and there's some negotiating going on with Sid and the Eric Bischoff run WCW and According to what Sid has said and showed interviews, the dialogue was, hey, we don't have you on contract. I guess only never had you sign a piece of paper, which is another tribute to his brilliant administrating over the years. And Sid has said that he replied, I know that. He said they wanted to sign me for three hundred thousand. I said, no, I'm not going to do that. I want the five hundred thousand which I was promised.
Speaker 3: So I want I want the two million a year that I promised myself.
Speaker 8: Only promised you two million. If I call only right.
Speaker 3: Say that, I said, I promise myself two million.
Speaker 8: Well, what did only promise you?
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter what I promised myself offer that.
Speaker 8: Is there a chance by the time this conversation's over, said that you're going to change what you promise yourself again.
Speaker 3: I gonna tell you something right now. Ah, never promise anything ever.
Speaker 8: And say that again. However, everybody else has to promise you the world for you to get up off the couch. I didn't promise that and make the town.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that.
Speaker 8: I didn't promise that. You have to promise me anything. But it doesn't hurt and do it first.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was not expecting.
Speaker 8: So right, that's the blow up, right, you know, only said three hundred thousand. We don't have a contract here, we'll give it to you. And he says, no, I want five hundred thousand. That's what I was promised. And so that's it right now, we can't do that. No, no, Bishoff, according to Sid, turns around and says, okay, fine, five hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus.
Speaker 8: But the next week they go overseas for the tour and then the fight, and then he's brought into the office subsequent to the fight. This is according to Sid, and shoot interviews, and it's after the fight with On that they say, okay, you can keep your job, but you're going to go back to three fifty instead of five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: This this is three fifty after they started at three. According to Sid.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 8: And you know Sid, you know reads the landscape, says, you know what I mean, geez, I was in there.
Speaker 3: What fine, I'll tell you what. I don't mind taking you. You say you're going to give me a demotion. Fine, you want to give Sidvisi's demotion. I understand. I will get a demotion with a price of four hundred thousand dollars here right from three hundred.
Speaker 8: Thousand he did. He didn't say you want to give Sid a demotion. He says you want to give Sid himself. You want to give Sid demotion. Isn't there a huge difference between a demotion and demotion?
Speaker 3: Huge difference.
Speaker 8: I don't think we spend enough time thinking about why there is such a big difference between those two phrases. And there's a big difference for Sid too. So you know, geez, right, like you said, he goes over there, he fucks up massively. According to this one WW employee, he's wailing in the ambulance about how he blew the shot at the biggest money in his career and the world title and all of that. And so you know, obviously when they say, fine, you can keep your job, but you're going to go to three point fifty, of course Sid says yes. Of course Sid is grateful that they're still willing to employ him after he nearly murdered another wrestler on their watch. Or does he say no five hundred or I'll fucking quit.
Speaker 3: I'm with the five hundred, I'll fucking quit all right, that's just you know, that's just practical.
Speaker 8: So you can say you fired Sid because of the stabbing, but what you really did is fire Sid because he wouldn't give you a discount after the stabbing.
Speaker 3: Idiots.
Speaker 8: That's the wrestling business. And Sid taught us so much more about the wrestling business than I think we realize by being this way at the negotiating team. So Sid stabbing someone had consequences, right, he's banished, he's unbookable. Or did this whole stabbing just create the gimmick he would ride?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know what should do? We should have to bring this guy back because you know what he's He could have been a.
Speaker 11: Murderer, was I guess just from everything that you've been saying so far, it seems like was that your idea as far as uh now, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't like that.
Speaker 11: I do because you we all know it was a rib on me. You know, the psycho deal with the fucking scissors rib.
Speaker 12: You know, we went back to second time.
Speaker 11: See I was old Vince and everybody I will not be called psycho said we were really called Sid vicious or just came of dealing with said Vicious is copyrighted by a punk boxing. I said, the guy's dead, you know, all right, Well we find out his mother owns and something like that. Well, I don't care what you do. I just would be called shiit. You know they try to refer mostly to sit but then other people with you know, Actually I didn't mind the cycle sid Okay, there's a baby face in some buildings that really had a great act when people really got with it instead.
Speaker 12: I didn't mind, but I wasn't stupid enough that to fuck you know Cambine.
Speaker 8: Right, So let me translate, and let me attempt to translate. And the reason I cut Vince office because there's exactly keeps speaking to exactly what Vince is good about to say. Essentially, I mean, now we have a psycho in our hands.
Speaker 3: You know, here's a legitimate modified psychopath. Okay, make this shit up. Can't book this kind of shit?
Speaker 8: Nearly we got it. Listen, Bruce, a little pat, everybody, come on in, jj H, Nelson, Swigler, come on in. Pal. He nearly killed.
Speaker 3: Someone, Pal, How do you feel about that? What does that mean to you? Right? I don't have any I say, someone nearly killed somebody? What does it do to your insides, let alone arms inside? I mean, I don't have a lot of levers to pull anymore, Palell, the federal government is breathing down my neck. We can't have well, the the size we used to have. We've got to find a different hook. And I think we found it. What a psycho path?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 8: But you know what I could interrupt Evince. I mean we were calling him psycho Sid when he was here the first time. I mean maybe against Hogan we called him psycho Sid.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know we called him the psycho Sid Justice, Yes, but now he's just psycho Sid. He embodies all sids.
Speaker 8: Now do you think we embodies all sids? So do do we try to slip this in and kind of hope he doesn't notice this characterization?
Speaker 3: And I mean, you slip in with him? Is your business?
Speaker 8: I should remember Patterson doing that. I want to watch the lightning? What I want to come out of the porch and watch the lightning.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know you can porch whatever you feel necessary.
Speaker 8: Can you see the hockey stadium from there?
Speaker 3: Pal I mean, what do you? Yeah, what what kind of athletic endeavors are?
Speaker 14: So?
Speaker 8: Do you want to just hope Sid doesn't notice that we're calling him Psycho, or should we just I don't know, give him the music from Psycho in the movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think we have a multitude of opportunities here to embellish and vibe and perhaps reach another plateau of creative authority right in the in the pro entertainment fields. That what we could do is actually maybe I got here here. I mean, consider this, right, So he's Psycho, said right, he's the psychopath. He is psychotic, he comes down, and what if we his music is from Psycho, and what if bear with me? He's actually missus bates, So my mother baits. So he wears the wig and carries a knife, and he wears a momo. I just think that's fair, that's fair, he says. Let's have creative services draw that up. You know, there are sketches somewhere of sit in a moomoo. They paid some like graphic design hopeful like thirty grand a year to draw like pictures of sit in a fucking momoo. Oh, I would hope to God, Yes, that's.
Speaker 8: Something to think about. Well, I don't think here's the thing and we'll get to it. I don't think they have to worry that Sid even knows what the movie Psycho is, let alone with the signature sound, which was replicated in his returning WWF Entrance theme of course in nineteen ninety five, even was. But what he's saying in that clip is, of course three things at once. One is absolutely Sid's out of Sid's mouth. They called him psycho when he came back because of the Sid stabbing incident. I'm sure everybody in the tower will disagree with that characterization. That's how Sid received it. And he says at the end, and he tried to say that, I know people will say that that's not where it comes from. But I'm not fucking stupid enough. I'm not so stupid. Rather, I'm not stupid enough. I'm not that stupid. I know that you're having a laugh at my expense by calling me psycho and giving me this kind of gimmick when I come back. Because say what you will about Sid Justice and how much of a wrecking force he was boss. He didn't twitch his eyes like this Sid does. It's true, what did you notice as someone that was, you know, sent into an uncomfortable place by Sid Justice?
Speaker 3: I didn't really notice too much of a difference. At the time, I just, you know, really what I noticed and what was disappointing his hair, his hair really I just hated. I hated the shorter hair. I was a fan of that. You know, angular you know that pyramid look he had.
Speaker 8: Like a sphinxpied his head.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, like you know, like he's a sphinx with the fucking thing. Yeah, yeah, I liked. I liked that ninety two look. I don't know what to tell you. It's probably you know, you know, I'm sure it's a deplorable thing. But that's that's what sid is to me. And so when it was cut real short coming back in ninety five, I was like, eh, under, guess we'll do it.
Speaker 8: But yeah, it's like it's like Hogan coming back, so like thin and ninety three and yeah, coming back without the mustache.
Speaker 3: It's like, all right, oh about the mustache is just it's inappropriate and it's perverted.
Speaker 8: It's like Hogan when he starts wearing the wristband, the spot fans on his wrist, It's like, Okay, something's going on here. This is not this is not the signature presentation that uh, that's burned into my memory bank forever. But yes, Sid does come back. He does come back, not right away, as we'll get to after the nineteen ninety three stabbing incident in WCW, but he does return to the World Wrestling Federation, and, as Sid put it in many shoot interviews over the years, he was on the whipping post for this run. In other words, he felt sort of limited in how much of a protest he could voice when he would be put further down the card or asked to do jobs, whatever the case might be, because he was damaged. Goods WW wasn't sitting there waiting to hire him back, or at least he didn't think so. I'm sure he thought he'd never be welcomed that locker room again, trically, as long as arn't Anderson worked at WCW. And we'll see about that, won't we. Indeed, it's the sands of time go through the Sid hour glass here and the lapsed fans tribute to Sid Udy Psycho Sid said justice. We're about to learn all about Psycho Sid as we continue, and just to shout out and thank everybody for all the positive feedback thus far. It's kind of been as it usually happens on the show over ten years unfolding before our eyes. You know, you know, we want to pay tribute to Sid. We think we know the show to do it, and then we just keep going until we're done, and we don't cut any corners, and we don't falsely accelerate, and we stay in until we finish.
Speaker 3: Always it's the only way you can.
Speaker 8: That's always how we've done it. And we can do that, and we're emboldened to do that because we know that out there in the wider world is a lapsed fan solar system that's willing to put money on the table to say, look, this is what the approach is worth. You know, if you have any quibbles with how we approach what we do, just look at the cold hard cash and you tell us who's on the right side of history, and it's patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan. That's where to go to prove your worth. That's where you go to prove worthy of the efforts we put in and participate in the virtuous circle that allows it to go to the next level. So much popping on the Patreon and we're always obliged to remind you about it here on the main show. If you haven't jumped in the holidays, is a great time to do so. Oh yes, the last couple of quarters of the year. For no lesser reason, of course, than for the executive producer tier and above, which is the mote tier as well. Under the cinemat is rocking and rolling in the seasonal fashion.
Speaker 3: Boss. We are indeed, we are, indeed, we are, we are coming up. We're at the halfway point for this year's scary movie season offerings, and I'm gonna keep it a surprise. It's it's gonna be quite fun. Although we just recently dropped Alice, Sweet Alice, what do your remember? What are your what are your memories of that of that extravagance.
Speaker 8: It was just such a great window into experimentation with the genre that exploded in the eighties, but in the seventies was still kind of pulp, still kind of uncomfortably out of sync with what films from that time time period and of that vintage and of that look are supposed to be representing and they're supposed to be after and it's just you don't expect kind of like the horror tropes with that that film stock right right.
Speaker 3: That that that and that's what I kind of talked about, was that it just felt there was something different about it because of that, and very uncomfortable. And but you know, Alice is sweet and she had her communion.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, her sister, however, did not make it. No, she does not make spoiler alert. Yeah, and so we got we got a couple more starring Argentina Rocca. By the way, Oh yes, indeed one of the uh more most famed wrestlers to ever work Madison Square Gardens. So what a nice excuse to get into the history of one of the bigger carnies ever worked the territory.
Speaker 3: I mean, what a what a what an absolute you know, what a what a maniac? He was just just I couldn't.
Speaker 8: The more the more I read, the more I was just blown away those tales. He may have been shortened stature, but his tails were tall indeed.
Speaker 3: And then you know, once uh, once November rolls around again, we will finish up our James Bond journey.
Speaker 8: Clay claimed, you got to get out on this man, especially as we round third and do the Daniel Craig ones.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it's it's uh, it's a good time. It's a good time to look into it, and a good time to join up. And and uh, you know, mixture, mixture, your your in ring carnies with your Hollywood carnies, because they're all one of the same.
Speaker 8: Oh god, I know, isn't that? The brilliant part of Under the cinemat is, Yeah, is how much crossover we find between the two worlds of movie making and pro wrestling making. I guess you could say, and hey, what's the what's that? What's that faint faint jingle jangle I hear in the distance? Perhaps beyond scary movie season, perhaps beyond the conclusion of the Bond Journey.
Speaker 3: I think you know what I mean. We're certainly closer than we were a few months ago to Christmas movie season.
Speaker 8: My god, And if that's if that's not a reason to subscribe. And I'm not sure we even want you as a listener, honestly, because if you don't get that, I don't know if you get much. And you need to know that your co chairmen are not unmindful of the weather having turned, and how much earlier than most we have to start considering the holiday season to deliver one that is in proportion with prior holiday seasons. Here at the Lapsed Fan, it's always a time of great effort and jubilation and community and fellowship, and certainly this year's Christmas show coming to you towards the end of the year is going to be no exception. If you're unfamiliar, folks in the Solar System, send to our po box sundry gifts for us to unwrap and react to live on the pod, and it's just it's one of the most beautiful things in podcasting. It has to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, it has to be, and it will be, and.
Speaker 8: It will be, it will be. We've already got bullets in the chamber, folks wasting no time to make sure they make it onto that that first run live. Boss and I in the same room recording session. And if you want to get your gift to us, you're you have a little less time than you think, because if past this prologue, we're probably going to record this before the middle of November, so you don't have a lot of time left. The address is the Lapsed Fan PO Box one one nine seven ten Main Street, South Southbury, so O U T H B U R Y, Connecticut. Zero six four eight eight. Again the Lapsed Fan p O. Box one one nine seven ten Main Street, South Southbury, Connecticut, zero six four eight eight. Do get your packages to us quickly so that when you co chairman, light the hearth, okay, light the heart. It's going to happen one more time. And we've got you guys in the Moat tier, the tip top tier, the most expensive tier, the one that lets us know, okay, if we really need to identify our ride or dies, We've got a nice convenient list here of folks that are willing to put that kind of cake on the table. And we always keep special considered in mind, I think, as we've proven for our friends in the Moat Tier around the holiday season as well. Oh yeah, never too early to think about that. And if you're wondering about the lapsed fan in your life, there's pro wrestling teas, there's chop teas, there's cameo. There's no shortage of ways to get your hands on things you can proudly fly the flag with. I understand quite recently, Boss, you even managed to get a TLF jacket into the frame of some unrelated promotional material.
Speaker 3: I did. Indeed, I went to go see our our brother in arms Omar in a play. And you know, after the show, they were asking some you know, people who were in the audience if they wanted to, uh, you know, cut a little testimonial promo about the show, and I said, all right, And I was wearing my LAPSE Fan windbreaker jacket, and I made sure to keep that logo front and center, so excellent, always always representing the brand.
Speaker 8: That's the kind of behavior we expect out there. You go to live wrestling shows, We're always thrilled to see folks get into camera frame or even just to send us pictures on social media of them flying the TLF colors at events, or even better, buy one of the shirts where people don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Yeah, and the chances are high that you'll meet the one or two TLF fans in the house who are I think the most likely to be the most worth making your acquaintance with. Okay, for sure, in an arena full of pro wrestling fans, I'll pick LAPS fan listeners every time. And I feel like I can say that even if I wasn't the co creator and co host of the show, I feel like I was just if I was just a listener, that would still be a very solid guide engage. I think that's fair based in the quality of people we have met over the ten years doing this show, and of course, very high on that list is our good friend Gabe, who we've been trying to keep you apprized of as he goes through a very challenging open heart surgery. You've known Gabe over the years as we have, and early indications are that he got through the procedure and is recovering. We hope to get some more solid updates as time goes, but again we would urge you to try to help soften the blow for his family and his wife with their young child. They've got a lot to rejigger now with him, you know, in recuperation, and they go fund me is up just going to Google and type Gaby Oakum Yocum go fund me and you can find ways to contribute to one of the most solid t Left listeners, one of the most solid listeners any podcast really could ever hope to have, And so best wishes on the recovery. If Gabe you're able to hear this, I'm sure they have quite a bit of catching up to do and yeah, I don't know, Boss, should you listen to t LF while recovering from Obenhart surgery. I feel like that, yes, that could be painful. It could be painful, but I think that's kind of the idea, isn't it. That's a great point right there.
Speaker 3: It's not meant to be fun.
Speaker 8: That's a great point. Well, you know, I always try to keep in mind the possibility that people who might not be acquainted with the philosophy the ethos of the cast, and they hear us say things like it's about pain, it's not supposed to be fun. I don't think we take enough time to remind people what we mean when we say that for those who might not have been there and gestational stages to hear us kind of lay down the philosophical groundwork. If you wouldn't mind, Bossed, just a quick treatise on that. Well, you know, I think folks forget. I think folks forget when they start complaining and sniping and throwing the stink eye.
Speaker 3: It's true, you know, people people say shit, People like to point out stuff and listen, we're not here for you, Okay, we're here, and we're not We're certainly not here to give you pleasure, because that's not what life is, right. Life is not about enjoyment. Life is not about having a good time.
Speaker 8: Anybody who's ever tried to make their bones in your life by constantly offering you pleasure will be out of favor and boring the shit out of you within eight months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and anyone who says you only live once, I mean, they're absolutely right, But that doesn't mean you get to enjoy it. It's about suffering. It's about understanding that what you enjoy in one moment is gone after it's done right. You will never ever get that sort of enjoyment again. And that hurts because you'll try, you will try as hard as you can, but you won't get there. And so we are here to remind you of that, the fact that, oh my god, it was good, and you can't have it all day. I could listen to it all day, all right, And this is the thing. You know what you want to feel good, You want to understand what you know. You want to enjoy your next moment. You need pain without pain, without the absolute detrimental suffering. You can't enjoy the smallest bit of pleasure I.
Speaker 8: Mean, just think about the people who reach the absolute heights of stardom and how perverted they become. Just think about that, Just think about how far they have to stretch the old every day, yes, the Overton window in terms of what they go for. It's because what you think is pleasure, if you had unfettered access to it without intermittent pain, you would actually find yourself trying to insert the pain so that the pleasure actually felt deserved, and so that you could discern the pleasure from the pain, because they share way more in common than they do a part. Absolutely, pain and pleasure are the exact same. And told, maybe that last step across the threshold and the thing is where we thrive the most is on that tiny, tiny, tiny little thread, that tiny part of the fence that separates pain and pleasure. So you don't know exactly which we're giving you, Yes, it's so true to ELFX. Bitch, What the fuck do you know about it? Absolutely nothing? Not the first thing. Just let us serenade you and keep your mouth shut, right, that's the only way it can work. And you know, you hear folks say, you know when you pine for the past, you know for ten years, we've been trying to interrogate not only wrestling history, but the nature of nostalgia.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: Yes, we constantly try to ask ourselves why is it that we go back and feel the way we feel about these things visa via the current day. And it's not just old wrestling compared to new wrestling. It's old anything compared to do anything. For the most part, just about everything used to be better. And we've talked about things that might be better now, and we're willing to allow the point for sure. But I've heard it positive and I'm not exactly sure where there's probably something like real video or something. What you miss is being young, That's what you miss, and I get it. But I can't sign on to that. You know why, because when I go back and when I watch stuff from when we had society much more better calibrated. Yep, when the cell phone didn't destroy your ability to enjoy anything. We had a situation where I find myself, you don't if I go back and watch an old movie, If I go back and watch planes, trains, and automobiles, oh yeah, I don't want to be I'm not nostalgic for that movie. I don't think that movie is better than what we have today, because I want to be as young as I was when that movie came out. I want to be an adult when that movie took place. Yes, that's what you're missing. It's not that I miss being young, it said, I feel like I was robbed of the chance to be an adult at a time when things were easier to enjoy.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's also it's also like you know, when you experience it's what part of it is too, is they like they always say, like you witness things that you can't appreciate when you're young. Yeah, in many ways, you know, you're almost better off just being left alone in a box, right for eighteen years, and then being let free and then being allowed to explore the.
Speaker 8: World, and not just eighteen years these eighteen years. Yes, we are products of a particular time period in generation. When we talk about, yes, the Golden Era being the Hasbro era, that's because everything was clicked into place and we had it. We had the right alchemy, I swear we did, and we let.
Speaker 3: The best we're the best toys, we had the best cereal, and.
Speaker 8: We let it slip, you know, yep, because we turned into an attention economy without meditating enough on what that would mean for our humanity over time. And now we're fucked on that front. Now we can't even really deal with each other. And the only thing that gets us up in the morning is having a sport fight on our phones of some type or other. And it's it's a it's a situation that I'm not sure we're going to come back from. At the very least, I can't be blamed for stressed out as Steve Martin is in planes, trains and automobiles when he walks, when he when he gets back to his house, that's what's up, and that's gone, that's gone.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, think about like this too. That whole movie is just like impossible, now, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It can't.
Speaker 8: His return home wouldn't mean anything because he would have been texting and face timing, and he would have been.
Speaker 3: Rebooking, yeah, and updating his Instagram story.
Speaker 8: And all of these things would have felt like the advantage technology gives him in the modern day to navigate around inconvenience without stopping to consider that life is about inconvenience. You fucking morons, You fucking morons. If everything's convenient, nothing is convenient. If everything is easy, nothing.
Speaker 3: What you need to really realize sooner than is that inconvenience is what is what drives people. It's correct, correct, right Like, if everything was convenient, we wouldn't do anything.
Speaker 8: It's not something to be solved for. It is something to figure out within yourself how to countenance and a generations. That's another thing I resent. It's not that I'm not young anymore. It's that my kids can't grow up in the same social conditions and the same technological conditions. It's not we didn't have anything. I'm not pining for the days with no electricity, folks, and there are trade offs. I'm certainly not pining for the days that you could get you know, fucking lung cancer by inhaling smoke in an airplane. But I'm telling you I don't want to say I want to say this as bluntly, but I don't think there were as many kids hanging from door frames, you know what I mean? I mean, do I need to be straightforward about that? I just find myself upon.
Speaker 3: Sing at the very least there weren't There weren't nearly as many.
Speaker 8: School shootings totally thank you. That's an even better example that just did that. The stakes weren't as high every day and we have this very uneasy we've made this uneasy piece with this powder keg situation that we find ourselves living in all the time. And you can't tell me that that was the case in the day's I pine for. So what do you expect and why? Why do you think it makes sense that so many people are willing to put down the cake to tell us to keep going, go faster, go further, go harder into the past into assessing what it was that made it good. Maybe I don't know, so perhaps we can try to keep a little bit of that flame lit in the current day, LA Fan.
Speaker 1: Wrestling podcast, the wrestling pod cast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's a Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnaco and JP Soorro.
Speaker 8: Something I think about upon TLFX and we're rocking and rolling. We're going to continue paying tribute to sid and we do deeply appreciate your support and doing so, we'll go forward. So the Psycho Moniker, it may have stung more post the nineteen ninety three incident with arn Ederson. But now it was a new lease on life for Sid. I said that had now walked out boss on three contracts with the Big Two. I mean we realize this, right, he has walked out. I mean think about that.
Speaker 5: How many?
Speaker 3: How many? How many could how many companies can somebody walk out of in normal nine to five day jobs and still be that desirable and still be like hey, and have achieved so little objectively on paper? Right?
Speaker 8: You know, if you were to assess him empirically against other main eventors or top guys of his era, like, how can this guy command this much money? Are we really marks like that for traps? Yeah, and a guy that waterflies off his head when he flickses his head to the right in the middle of the ring. Sid is incredibly charismatic. He was born to be a progressing superstar. But this is a little much if you ask me, I mean, it's true, like it's it's the fact that after the arm thing, he's about to run away with the bag of his career and enter his top earning years instead of a period of time where he's a pariah. Is is truly remarkable? Now, I mean geez. At least Vince took a year. Fucking Do you think Babrahams was ready to go? Do you think he had his phone number right away? Do you think USWA down in Memphis, where of course Sid is from and started his career, as we talked about in the very beginning of this tribute to Sid, was ready to book him under Jerry Lawler. Of course they were. Sid didn't stay that unbusy from a pro wrestling perspective in nineteen ninety four. In fact, despite this all falling apart in October November of nineteen ninety three, WCW, by April he was wrestling at the Trump taj Mahal of all places, Oh my God, where an organization called the WWWA ran a couple of cards, including one in April where Tito Santana defeated Sid by disqualification there in Atlantic City. There was that time period kind of after I don't know, mid nineties. I would say after WCW had hit like truly the skids, that a lot of organizations were trying. Like we talked about this, a lot, DRIK lapsed. Funk Eastern Championship became ECW Crockett Junior tried to do something like the World Wrestling Network was the AWF, the American Wrestling Federation, which got a bunch of syndicated stations, and Tito Santana was involved along with Sergeant Slaughter in that. With the AWA collapsing to in the early nineties, that that kind of left open some opportunities that people tried to fill. And there were just a ton I mean, you remember looking through PWI in the nineties like they were just oh yeah, IWCCW, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck yeah. I mean, we're talking just so many, so many glorious little promotions, and.
Speaker 8: You're reading around ninety four they always talk about USWA, like Lawler always had a great relationship with Bill. After going back to the Andy Kaufman stuff, they're presenting Lawler and Brian Christopher, his son Brian Lawler and and guys who are headlining in this last vestige of the old territories down in Memphis, Tennessee. They're still presenting them in the pages of the Leading National Wrestling after MAGS the National Ones as champions worth thinking about right in the same breath as the WWF and WWCW champions. Yeap, of course talked about those rankings, right, tell them about that. And you're looking at You're looking down these names, You're like.
Speaker 3: Who is this? Now, what's the USWA? You used to have no fucking idea who so many of these clowns were. But that was what was so exciting, because it's like, well, wait a minute, they're valuable someplace, Like I don't think I ever thought the term valuable in my actual brain, yeah, when that was happening, But there was an idea that like, wait a minute, somebody cares about him, and why yes? And how can I care about him? How can he lay claim to being a world champion. This is, of course, at a time when we as fans still thought that that carried some kind of designation. It didn't really occur to us that any promoter could call their title the world title.
Speaker 8: But here's the thing. Any promoter could call their title the world title, but that wouldn't necessarily get p WI to publish it as a world champion. Right, And you got global that tries to get coming on ESPN. You've got all these these attempts in the nineties to pick up the pieces of these closing territories. The USWA was the outgrowth of the c WA, the Memphis Territories. We all know it. Lawler still owns the place, and Jerry Jarrett's still involved, and they're still doing you know, Saturday morning studio wrestling on WMCTV, and there's ten people in the audience, and they're still trying to run in the Mid South Colosseum every Monday night that Lawler sold out for generations, it seemed like, and that's kind of the last place to go if you're not one of the big two. That feels like the old way of making money in the business. And of course for Sid it's home geographically in a lot of ways, right. So by the summer of ninety four, he is in the USWA working the Mid South Colosseum again, where he formally wrestled as Lord Humongous I'm so Crazy wrestling the likes of Jeff Gaylord for the USWA Universal Unified rather World Heavyweight title. And in the beginning of this USWA run he's softer. You can tell he's not necessarily being as as religious and as I don't know, self conscious about the look. Yeah, one thing, I think we've really laid baar here in looking at the thing. Sid has said, and others have said about his psychology of the business, like, he really doesn't want to be on camera unless he can look like Sid. And he knows what it takes to look like Sid, and he can't do it overnight. And so he's got a really get the potion just right dial in the let's just say he's going to get on the right cycle.
Speaker 3: Oh it makes you think, yeah, like absolutely.
Speaker 8: Cycle Sid is Dave Meltzer.
Speaker 3: Yes, cycle.
Speaker 8: It is a cyclical business, boss, is it not? What cycles are we talking about? Is the question? What cycles are we talking about? Is the question?
Speaker 3: I know exactly what fucking cycle he's talking about.
Speaker 8: So loose, a little soft. He's got darker hair. You would have been very alarmed by his early USWA hair. If his psycho Sid hair bothers you, this is a whole other issue. Like it gets darker brown, it's never it's not quite as wet as it needs to be. But he's on TV and he's he's content, apparently to uh to return to this scale of of enterprise in the wrestling business for someone that thought it was worth fucking three quarters of a million dollars at the snap of a finger. Here he is on an episode of us W a local television, but of course Lance Russell and Dave Brown the signature of voices of Memphis Wrestling calling the action at the desk, and as he would do when he was on the road, Jerry Lawler would phone in so that he could have pretty much a weekly presence on the television.
Speaker 3: From what I've seen these phones in a lot, he felt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, he did it figuratively and literally in those days. But on set, engaging in a bit of a debate with the phoning in Jerry Lawler is none other than Sid. Here's what Sid was doing after he disappeared from the National Spotlight. And you couldn't see or hear any of this at the time unless you were living in Memphis or trading tapes.
Speaker 15: Anyway. Yeah, we're going to be in Victoria there tomorrow afternoon, and then unfortunately I had right back out for gosh, I've got three more days of wrestling for them, and then I'm going to be back on for a while.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, it just seems like forever.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 16: I think I was going one time when you were here, and I haven't seen you in about a month.
Speaker 3: And yeah, King, I hadn't seen you in a long time.
Speaker 15: This is Dave.
Speaker 3: I was at the specer men.
Speaker 4: Well wait a minute, Jerry, here comes saying that.
Speaker 10: Vicious and spike you.
Speaker 17: Jerry, God.
Speaker 5: Said, will you just let us fin He says, sit here on the phone, and you tell everybody's sitting here. Everybody's sitting at home watching TV. I'm off of Florida.
Speaker 18: I might be in Canada, but the truth is Roller you're sitting at your house right here in the city of Memphis. He is, You're locked up for your product, and you are scared, fat, bad.
Speaker 19: Yes, people that worship you and there they call you the king.
Speaker 5: Why is it?
Speaker 18: Would tell you, Lawler, you aren't scared towers and the people are looking right now. It's the uncrowned king, the uncrowding of civilized killers, my friend. And before I'll leave.
Speaker 5: The usw say it be a year, ten years, you laller and everybody want you.
Speaker 4: There goes Uh said, law Jesus, will you get back here and beat this sucker up.
Speaker 20: He's around here slamming and hurting everybody he can get anywhere near Jerry.
Speaker 10: It is absolutely ridiculous of stuff that Visius has done since he's been here. Are you with us?
Speaker 3: Nope? Oh we still got him? Nope, lose a connection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we lost the connection in there.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's hold on here a second. Let me see if I can. Well, I don't know whether and.
Speaker 8: They don't figure it out. I'd love to know it's not a bunch of idiots apparent if that was like a shoot, or if if Lawler, like for dramatic effect, just hangs up the phone, because I think it kind of works a little bit, if he did it on purpose work. Yeah, and he doesn't know, he's kind of like he's so pissed that he doesn't even want to say what's on his mind with Sid interrupting him like that, or he is a little shook, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's great.
Speaker 8: Sid there was accompanied by Spike Huber, who is the son in law of Dick the Bruiser and had a career throughout the Midwest throughout the eighties and by the nineties was working down in Memphis. So that's what Sid's doing for the time being over there. He also gets involved when herb Abrams sets up shop again for the UWF Black Jack Brawl pay per view in Las Vegas. God took place September twenty third of nineteen ninety four. Boss, you may have recalled from our episode on herb Abrams when we partnered with the guys that Dark Side of the Ring for the Unheard podcast, we spent a lot of time digging into some of the unaired clips about this show, this event, and the fall of ninety four where they somehow, despite no track record of success and essentially being dark for two years, secured one of the premium sports venues on the strip at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and no one was there and no one cared and it was a disaster. That sounds about right, And you know, her played all kinds of fascinating games, according to guys like Stevie Ray and others who spoke to the producers of Dark Side of the Ring to kind of create this impression that, like, you know, you probably should front us some money here. We're a little short, and it'll be it'll be a black mark on all of us if we have to cancel the show at this juncture, and somehow convincing these these hot shots in Vegas to just come out of pocket for like one hundred grand that they'll never see back and this was the last hurrah for herb Abrams and he saw that he found in that budget money to pay Sid. Sid comes in. Sid wrestles Doctor Death Steve Williams for the UWF World Heavyweight title on the Blackjack Brawl.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 8: And they go out there and they actually try like Sid takes a belly to belly off the top rope.
Speaker 3: By shit, you not, are you kidding me? Yep?
Speaker 8: He does. He tries to bump Steve Williams give him the doctor Bomb. They got wrenched power bomb as well. And the ring. I don't know what the deal was with this JANKI it basically breaks during the course of the contest. You have like a almost like a bubble pop up underneath the matt and the center of the ring, indicating that the boards had shifted or something had something was very seriously wrong underneath this mat and it happens during the course of these two giants pumping around in it. But you know, Sid didn't do much more than just work this one match with Steve and UWF. It's not like there's a whole bunch of promos or anything out there that you can discover from what I saw on the broadcast, they actually do an interview with Sid backstage, but they're so they're so incapable from a production standpoint that you can't even hear the audio of Sid's interview on the broadcast. You cannot hear. It's understated, to say the least. But bost you know, I guess what the UWF run creates the question of is we've talked about Sid Justice, We've talked about Sid Vicious, We've talked about psycho Sid. Do you know what they called them in UWF?
Speaker 3: Ah, Sid the clown?
Speaker 8: Are you ready for malicious Sid Vicious?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, come on really?
Speaker 8: Versus malicious being a word used by Oran Anderson in his lawsuit against Sid for stabbing him. So yes, I guess malicious was. I guess they were deeply amused by the Sid stabbing incident and decided to use that as his moniker in DUWF. And after that short run, if you can call one match a run, he goes to back USWA, which he worked in premittently throughout nineteen ninety four, including, of course, as we mentioned, winning their world title. He even wrestles Lord Humongous. I don't know who it was, but Sid wow?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 8: Yes? On October tenth of nineteen ninety four, the Mid South Colosseum, Sid Vicious defeats Lord Humuongus to retain the USWA Unified World Heavyweight title and not. On October seventeenth of nineteen ninety four, give you three guesses who you think Sid defended the belt against.
Speaker 3: On this show.
Speaker 8: Harvey Whippleman No, Hulk Hogan Yes, no, o kidding? Jerry Lawler No, the Undertaker get out of town. Really, let's think about it. Nineteen ninety four Lawler, Oh, yeah, Vince going to Memphis to practice his heel mannerisms. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Let's not forget that. That's one of the true one of the fascinating things. Something that the McMahon documentary on Netflix totally misses that the guy already knew how to play a heel because of this Memphis run where he went.
Speaker 3: Down there, because he lived his life.
Speaker 8: Of course there's that due, but he was ready for the attitude of a man because he played that Vince McMahon that was trying to stop Steve Austin from breaking out of the corporate mold in the very beginning that Vince is the guy that goes down to USWA and just kind of has his nose up just a little bit at these Southern fans, you know, not too much, but just enough to make him want to ring his fucking neck. Of course, he's so good at it, and he doesn't act maniacal, he doesn't act mcavellian. He just acts, you know, like a piece of shit from Connecticut. And it's amazing stuff. And this is all happening in ninety four, the same around the same time, I guess, not coincidentally, that the WWF is considering tapping Jerry Jarrett to take over business affairs if Fence gets put behind bars. Oh, of course that makes sense another USWA proprietor. So the bonds between the Memphis office and the WWF are as strong as perhaps they ever were in the year of nineteen ninety four, and it's not uncommon to see Undertaker come through and work USWA shows to help boost the house. This is where they get Comma from Charles Wright as he starts his career. This is where they get Kane. Oh sure Kine as well comes through. It's hell razer here at first, and there's basically you know, it's not unlike the arrangement they kind of had with ECW, where guys that they wanted to put some polish on would get sent down there. They look for new recruits, and there would be sort of like a first option on the talents that were working that circuit as opposed to go into WCW and yeah, ever now and then to help boost the house, they'd send guys of Utterertaker's caliber down there. And sin has said basically that he considers this kind of thing. In nineteen ninety four, the WWF trying to figure out if sid Is is hireable again. So it's not just like a sudden as some would like to to present it, snap decision in nineteen ninety five to heat up Sean and Diesel.
Speaker 3: Well, let's say I I because that's not even you know when you think about it's not even gonna snap whatever you just call that snap decision. Yeah, yeah, because you know that would have been that would have been in ninety three when he left. You know, like it's obviously you know, you know, he's not as I don't know, to me, that would have been more of the time. So like this is actually just like raving him and watching him and seeing, you know, if he can, if he's if he is valuable.
Speaker 8: Right, and a Jerry Lawler who you know played no small part in getting Sid into the business as we touched about it in the first place, and someone who I think WWF would probably trust the word of as to whether he was you know, back and performing at a level that would make him manageable from a Big two standpoint, because what becomes the case with Sid is nothing when doubting he's he's an impact player, but whether he's worth the hassle that you know he's going to bring. Has he learned anything about how to relate to other human beings in a better way such that we're not going to have the prototypical blow up. Of course, the longer you look at Sid's career, the more you realize those blow ups are probably by design. He's going to find a reason to get mad when he want, whenever he wants to leave. It's been a manufacturer reason to feel insulted or slighted.
Speaker 3: He's such a fool.
Speaker 8: But nonetheless, you know this is coming off the stabbing, and people don't know what they're dealing with. They don't know if this is a guy who can figure out how to get along with guys in the locker room again. So I think a lot of these months in the US ware are kind of like a stealth mission from WWF in cooperation with Jerry lawlerd to see what they've got here. And one Undertaker comes through. It was similar. It's kind of how Godfather got his job. It's kind of how Cain got his job versus II Gangam. This Taker goes down to Memphis and works him and comes back and is he a big man you can work with?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 8: Is he a big man that that can fit into our system? Absolutely? Or absolutely not? And you see the results from there. So they wrestle for about ten minutes again in the Mid South Colisseum on October seventeenth of nineteen ninety four. This is Undertaker with Paul Behrer in the Purple. This is the Purple era, of course.
Speaker 3: Oh God, I can't believe you're down. They are wrestling in Purple.
Speaker 8: It's jarring to see. I mean, you know, we know there's nothing more fascinating than prime WWF guys working non WWF shows. That's the whole paint off the Pacific Journey. That's the whole point of it to see the Hogan. We need, the savage, we need try to get three and a half stars in tokyot. Try to get stacked up with power bombs and kick out it too, you know, try to hit power lariats. Yes, and so it's kind of a version of that to see guys like Huntertaker and others go down there and work at USWA. After that, the next week he wrestles Mabel. Sid wrestles Mabel.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on, does he power bomb him?
Speaker 8: No, He's just not power bomb him. This of course is post Mabel headlining SummerSlam. That no, heading into said lighting SummerSlam the next year, that would be the next year. Yeah, and win King of the Roles right now. So this is preparing for the push of his life. And he gets some work with Sid beforehand. Mabel yea and the go to Louisville and Lex Luger comes down to wrestle Sid in November of nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 3: That's actually, you know, on paper, that's an intriguing matchup. I won't mind.
Speaker 8: I would have thought, yeah, if if Luger won the belt in ninety three, ninety fours, he just should have really and I think Sid would have been a great early opponent for him. Sid coming out of the would work like after he wins the belt and attacking him. That'd have been amazing. Absolutely, And we never really got the program in WCW either. So we talked about when Sid came back from the softball injury, the lung injury that became your fucking plane softball, he had to do a tenseecond job to Lex Lugner on a clash, and then they never really they never really circled back to it. That would have been the design if he hadn't left for New York, but never got there. But yeah, they get to clash Lex Lucra. Of course by this point the All American were red, white and blue stripes. But definitely on the Wayne, definitely on the downside. He's headed towards the Allied Powers thing as opposed to much of a singles run in WWF here in November Meta.
Speaker 3: Four, Oh yeah, absolutely, that's where we got in line for Lukes for.
Speaker 8: Luke's and in that undertaker match it ended in a disqualification when a wrestler went by the name of Spellbinder and who had a brief uh uh syndicated TV squash Job series of matches for WWF as the magician. What the hell they call him? Fantasmo. Have you ever seen this guy?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they brought him in, they they held him, worked a couple of tapings. He was like a magician in the ring. He had white face paint on, like a mime almost, and he would like do a magic trick to distract his opponent and then roll him up. This fucking had no chance, no chance at all. But again another example of that USWAWWF talent exchange that was very much going on in nineteen ninety four, and they were doing it with Smoky Mountain as well. Of course, right, yeah, of course that's how Jim Cornette gets the commentary in the front office role as well. And heavenly bodies come.
Speaker 3: In and bodies and then we get the fucking rock and roll Express, for God's.
Speaker 8: Sake, sure do in the WWF ring. Bizarre it is so the undertaker Manchens and DQ and Spellbinder runs in, allowing Sid to remain the champion. And here's a promo that Sid cut after that match, turning his attention to Jerry Lawler and Jerry's son Brian Christopher, who he also worked against in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 13: See Everywhere looking big letters, it says five thousand dollars from a man who wins the battle royld Well.
Speaker 3: That sounds big, doesn't it. Well a lot of people might be even excited about it.
Speaker 18: But what it says to me when I say it, Claire the smell explain it did any more?
Speaker 4: Waity hell some specials.
Speaker 10: On the US wa.
Speaker 3: See, we will not fall for it.
Speaker 13: I know what you're up to.
Speaker 18: He's a sacred plan to put somebody I.
Speaker 4: Just said vicious.
Speaker 3: See what you're gonna do.
Speaker 18: You'll have him ten twenty thirty, forty fifty people there. We'll say, I won't have a chance to prepare. I won't have a chance to know who the man is, or maybe know about how he is, or what he's gonna do or what he might bring.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: That's what the whole scheme is, isn't it.
Speaker 6: That's what the whole plan is. To make sid fishes, make his day hard.
Speaker 18: We'll say, wady health, ady morn, whoever is concerned. If I was a man who would care who, then that might say something, But I'm not.
Speaker 13: Because it's simple. See I don't care because I am sub vicious and I rule the world. Now just a second, you buying Christopher, you're Joe Lawler. Do you want a return match? Well, I'll say this, you can have it, but I think your chances of getting that battle royal then become simmed and none.
Speaker 3: So you guys gotta remember something.
Speaker 13: I've got a little saying and it goes like this, do one to the man as the man would do one to you.
Speaker 8: First time I heard that.
Speaker 3: You love it?
Speaker 8: Had he said that in WWF il ready I don't even remember them. I don't know if he said it. He said that, I said justice, I don't remember. So that's what he was sounding like. I mean, he's he's he's coming to his own. The promos are now dialed in. Yeah, yeah, for sure, and uh sure that makes me interested in seeing the match for for sure. And uh he would work Lawlor And you had to know something was up because February sixth of nineteen ninety five, as we turned the page to the year nineteen ninety five for Sid, he loses the USWA Unified World Heavyweight title to Jerry Lawler in the Mid South Colosseum on a Monday night, no DQ and he is done with the USWA, which means there must be a new contract on the table. There must be newfound interest in the Psycho one. Let's head back to Stamford.
Speaker 21: Was like, well, what if we gave Sean a bodyguard to make people believe that he has a chance against this giant diesel. I brought Sid's name up just out of I wasn't there, so I didn't go through all the shit that they had all previously gone through. But you could tell that Vince kind of had a soft spot for Sid and thought, well, yeah, that could work. We'll bring him back and we'll see how the reaction is. We're not going to bring him back in the ring away. We'll put him with Sean. Let's see how this dynamic works, and we'll take it step by step. I don't know that there were any big guarantees made to Sid. It was like, you want to work, You're not going back to work down South. I don't think they're going to have you. And if you want to make money in the wrestling business right now, the only place to do it is here. So let's try this. Let's let's see what happens and we'll take it on a day by day basis.
Speaker 3: That was the pitch. So okay, that was a pitch. Uh. Did you.
Speaker 8: Do you think that Diesel Sean was weak and that Sid strengthened it the dynamic? No, tell me about it?
Speaker 3: To me, I mean, Sid Sean to me, was the obvious way to go. A Diesel Shan mean what I say, So, yeah, Diesel Sean. Diesel Sean was the way to go. Uh, just because of the way to been built up, you know, the way it had done. Like I wasn't. I didn't think it was weak. I didn't.
Speaker 8: I didn't really see it like that because I never saw I never saw matches as being like like are they marquee enough?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: Doesn't feel like event me.
Speaker 3: It was like the two of them had history, the two of them. I mean I was wrong. I was excited that Sid came back, for sure, but at the time I didn't need it. It wasn't like I said, oh, what a crummy main event. You know, I didn't say that at all. I was like, this is great, this is what it should be. You know, the the two the two best friends and now they're fighting for the championship. You know, I mean I didn't. It was weird, you know, I think about the Royal rumble that year. Yeah, and I certainly didn't. That wasn't in my mind. You know, I always wanted a babyface to win, but obviously it's it's it's what they going for. But yeah, I never saw a problem with it. I mean, also I saw you know, this is when I went to the in high gear for the one we've mentioned many I talked about many times at Worcester Centrum that was delayed and then you know, brought back and we went like the next night, and nobody was there. It was a fucking just a dead, a dead fucking building. But I remember what was interesting about that was that people were cheering for Shawn Michaels by that point, and this must have been mid to late February, yep, I think, and people were cheering for Sean Michael. I don't think Sid was there yet, right, was it there?
Speaker 8: He had come in, but I don't think it had aired yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I don't think he came down with Sean. I would have known. I don't remember that. Yeah, I think he came down by himself to face Adam Baum, and he fucking white the floor with him, and he was hugely over So, I you know, if you got people in a in a weak ass Worcester centrum cheering for Shawn Michaels, and not only that, but getting me to cheer for Shawn Michaels when I was very much in my like, you know, I don't cheer for bad guys.
Speaker 8: You didn't feel uncomfortable cheering for him over Diesel.
Speaker 3: No, I was actually kind of like, oh, this is kind of cool. It's like, okay, I can go for I can go with this. I can go with this, you know, and and and and he and he and he went over and he went over out of bombs.
Speaker 2: A lap fan wrestling podcast wrest podcast with Jack and.
Speaker 8: Sean definitely caught a wave at this point in time. And I think it's Vince, just like we saw with Roman, going into an absolute psychological tail spin about not being able to control who the fans want to cheer as a babyface that leads in part to the over correction of bringing in Sin. I mean, I don't know. Ultimately, as we'll talk about and as Shawn has talked about the abrupt turning of sind On, Sean after WrestleMania eleven was in no small part because Vince didn't want Sean around taking the steam of you know, top baby face reactions from Diesel. It was clear after WrestleMania eleven and the way that match played out that the fans in most of the cities that counted in terms of like the pulse cities the cities were Vince, Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I know the pulse. I have the pulse. I create the pulse, right and Diesels my pulse.
Speaker 8: And look, on occasion the fans start to confuse that, and I understand.
Speaker 3: The fans confused. That's the problem. It's not that they try to confuse what what's going on. They get confused and they don't understand that who they're cheering for is wrong, and they don't really want to be cheering for them. They think that a Shawn Michaels excites them, but he doesn't. What excites them is that Diesel is beating up Shawn Michaels. That's what actually excites them. They just don't understand. They get confused.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, they do, yes, correct.
Speaker 3: So that's simply here, nor there, nor everywhere.
Speaker 8: And you can hear it in the body of the match you wrestle many eleven the people decide in that match that they actually want Sean to win.
Speaker 3: No, they didn't. They didn't.
Speaker 8: Well that's that's an effective argument.
Speaker 3: It's just a fact. They did. They did not they they?
Speaker 8: And why did you have to write Sean off television for months? The night after the week after.
Speaker 3: Because that because listen, I was building up his return. You know, here we have a guy that just uh that just you know, he just lost. But we're going to turn him babyface. But we can't have him come back in just yet because it's the sympathy thing. You're going to simply the angle, the angle, the sympathetic oath angle, right.
Speaker 8: The sympathetic oath anglely, Yeah, that old classic. Oh what if you think Bruce is the only person to lay claim to being the first to suggest bringing back Sid. Of course he would be wrong and can't wait to hear from a couple of other voices that lay claimed the precise same thing. But his name is in the sauce because Vince thinks it's something Sean needs and it wouldn't surprise me if what he really means is if Sid's standing next to Sean it'll make Sean more of a heel as opposed to being this guy fighting from underneath against an oversized champion, and Diesel very tough to pull off to be to be bigger than the heel challenger by the degree that Diesel was bigger than Sean and not eventually get the people decide with the guy who is fighting the odds from a size perspective, I feel like, sure, sure, you know, Hogan struggled to do that against Savage, although they had some really great matches. If that kept going, people would have been like, all right, Savage has got to win this thing. You know, I want Savage to win.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, that's people want David to triumph Goliath. That's just human nature.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and especially when you consider as how awesome you have to be for New York to give you a world title shot against a champion that's bigger than you are. You know, that's not the size advantage. And that's another part of the reason to bring in sid Is we'll talk about in ninety five after the Shawn program. Ninety five is going to be the year of Diesels World Champion. It's going to be his year to be Hogan, like we need challengers, and we need challengers in the Hogan mold that stack up to our champion. From a physical perspective, He's got a sleigh giants, and there weren't many on the marketplace, especially post steroid trials, that were ready willing and able quite like Sid, and so he checked that box rather nicely as well. What ready willing and Mabel William Mabel. Although, as Bruce will lay out in Future Eclipse from his podcast Something to Wrestle, the original booking plans for how to handle Sid, Diesel and Sewan in ninety five kind of went up in Smoke Doe too, in part the way Vince re acted to the finish of the title match WrestleMania eleven. But still Diesel versus Sid was always going to be circle to eventually. So we've got interest up in Stanford. There is Yes, we're talking about his name again, and we're pretending that he didn't wrestle a year in the us w A as a litmus test. We're pretending that just one day his name came up, not that we sent fucking undertaker Enable and Lex down there to work with him.
Speaker 3: I've i simply said, hey, you know what we haven't seen Sid in a while. Let's bring him up. Let's see what he can do.
Speaker 8: Right, I've heard from Sid.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Sydney since WrestleMania, you know, ninety two. I mean as well, just.
Speaker 8: If you don't count telling, if you don't count telling Lawlor how to book the finish of the match against Sid a month ago in the Midside College.
Speaker 3: And I don't have nothing to do with Jerry Lawler at all ever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that this, You're right, this is around that time of that underage sex allegation against him, that the loss of this.
Speaker 3: Never been involved in sexual excapades.
Speaker 8: This is definitely the time of this, of the time period where you pretend not to know Mary Lawler. That's a great point.
Speaker 3: Who's Jerry Lawler?
Speaker 8: Exactly?
Speaker 3: I'm not aware of things.
Speaker 8: That much is clear. And look, I mean for most for half a ninety four, Vince is on trial, so what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: He is no idea what's going to happen? So yes, here's Jim Cornett, who has mentioned, due to the Smoking Mountain Alliance, is now not only a full time television manager for WWF and a television commentator, but also part of the office staff, part of the creative staff as well. So he's offering first hand insight in terms of being at the table, not just you know, observing from the outside, which he also is really good at doing as a student of the game. But here he is talking from the inside out about Vince's psychology visa via Sid in ninety five and how that may have contributed to his return.
Speaker 3: Vince didn't care about the stabbing.
Speaker 7: No, well, we don't know what happened over that's another company, you know, because how about what the fuck? All I know is Arn Anderson didn't instigate it.
Speaker 2: He didn't instigate it.
Speaker 7: In the bar, he told Sid to shut the fuck up after Arne had had a few cocktails, and he's done that to a lot of people and made him look like an idiot, because Arn verbally can do that. But Arne was in his room when Sid went knocking on the door to continue it, and Sid went with the fucking chair leg so that to me puts him in the wrong. They were Arn scissors, but Arn grabbed him as a defensive mechanism and got stabbed. Said first, for Sid took him away because he had had the drop on Arn. When Arn opened the door, and he came around from the side with chair leg So fuck Sid. Be quite honest, I'm sure it was roid rage because he's been I can't imagine he's still alive with the amount of chemicals he's pumped in his body. He should have blown up long before now. I've never been able to say anthing bad about him personally otherwise, and he was a rotten wrestler. But fuck him for doing that to arn just because Arne told him in front of the boys what all the boys thought of him, because he was running his mouth about how great he wasn't.
Speaker 8: Obviously that from an episode of Cornett's podcast prior to Sid's passing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not aware, you know, listen, this is all hearsay.
Speaker 8: I love that little snippet. Oh it's another company powe.
Speaker 3: I mean right, we don't know.
Speaker 8: I was Evin. Can I just can I just ask before we hire Sid again? You you understand what presaged his departure from WCW. You understand that he stabbed Arn't Anderson early to death.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't. I'm not aware. I'm not privileged to what happened. We are not listen, I wasn't there you weren't there. It's a different organization.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: They have their own business, their own their own rules about things. All I know is that is that there was a report of an incident. I don't know who was involved. I don't know what was involved. You know, there's hearsay that Sid may have you know, gone after arn Anderson. I don't know, and I've made no effort. I've made no effort to find out before hiring him again. Whether you know I'm I'm definitely somebody who has I have enough issues on my own business.
Speaker 8: Well then to understand your business. I understand you're busy, but you know, as someone who kind of is responsible for due diligence on new hires, here, can I can I look into it for you?
Speaker 3: And hold on, hold on. I want to just just say something right here. I am not responsible for what other people do outside of my company. I am not responsible for what people do in another company that is not my business. Are you holding me accountable for what Sid did?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 3: No, I think in WW no, But I think if you hire him saying that I stabbed an R Anderson, are you I'm not saying that I happened to be there at the same hotel, sir, But I am suggesting that if we hire him, Sar Anderson. Fifteen times, are you saying that I did that.
Speaker 8: I am suggesting that if we hire him, we may share in a little bit of the culpability of what may happen next. Yes, I am if he comes here and I was not there. But if he comes here and pulls something similar, you can't.
Speaker 3: Actually, I do not tell Sid to kill arn Anderson. You did not. I did not.
Speaker 8: Why would you say that as if anybody was waiting for you to stipulate an answer, Because I want to.
Speaker 3: Let you know that I am not accountable for other men's actions. I did not conspire with Sid to attack ar Anderson. I did not say Sid, take the scissors and stab that son of a bitch.
Speaker 8: You did not say that.
Speaker 3: I did not. I did not say that, And I can tell you right now I was not in England. I have an alibi for that.
Speaker 8: Well, that was a weird thing to add there. Okay, not not being in England is an off, even though I don't think anybody would even accuse you of having been a letting you know that these are the facts, Okay, very good.
Speaker 3: I want to. I want to. I don't want to get any I don't want to be confused, all right, I don't want it there to be any.
Speaker 8: You know, I remember you were, you were, you were you were missing an action, and then you said it was because you knew the indictment was coming down the next month. But you were missing an action that last month of October.
Speaker 3: I don't remember you not.
Speaker 11: I was not.
Speaker 3: I was certainly the office and in other areas of the company. Well, yeah, you taught, Yeah, you told England you were not in England. No, I was not. I definitely Listen. You want to check my travel records, you can. You know there there is no evidence that I purchased a ticket to England in that time period.
Speaker 8: Well, no evidence of you purchasing a ticket is not the same as you not being in England. I just want to be clear.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't buy a ticket to go to England, so how can I be there? Did I swim? Is that where you're suggesting that I swam to England? I was not there. I couldn't from England because I wasn't in England.
Speaker 8: How do you feel about arn Anderson in general?
Speaker 3: I think arn Anderson is a very uh is a is a proficient entertainer who has at a very lengthy career in this in the in this business. Who has you know, who has had the privilege of of gracing the squared circles of both other venues and the w W E. And you know I, I simply have no opinion of him whatsoever.
Speaker 8: Arn Anderson, once dubbed by w W hansho a proficient entertainer, died Wednesday. I am not responsible for sid stabbing someone in another company, Okay, And you're going to hire him again? And if he does something like that here, what are we supposed to tell ourselves?
Speaker 3: Well, depends on where he does it. Where he does it on premises of the of w W.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, let's say his own home. Does he stab I'm not suggesting, you know what I'm saying. If he does it on the road for us, like he did it on the road for them.
Speaker 3: Again, it depends where does he do it. What what's the constitution of him stabbing it?
Speaker 8: And if he stabs one of our wrestlers in a hotel room fight.
Speaker 3: That depends.
Speaker 8: How does it depend?
Speaker 3: It depends on on was it a personal matter? Was it a professional manner where you know, I I have a very.
Speaker 8: Guess it depends whether he's penciled in for the next pause.
Speaker 3: You have a very specific jurisdiction.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I'm going to resign over I think I'm going to resign. I mean this is you can't resign. Excuse me.
Speaker 3: You're in a contract. And if you if you see, if you look at your contract, which I'm I guess you did not even.
Speaker 8: Though you're legal what even though you're in the legal department, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, given see you know, and it's kind of a pathetic thing. You are in the legal department, and you didn't look at over your own contract because it specifically says and I know it's is it because I added it myself. You cannot resign unless I give you permission to and I don't.
Speaker 8: But now that I know that's on your mind, pal, I have just the assignment for you.
Speaker 3: Why don't you? I want so because you're now aware of this, of this clause in the contract, and you're aware of your lack of intelligence. What I would like you to do is I want you to travel with Sid to a a kitchen supply store and have him, uh you know, have him pick out knives to what end, Vince, to the end, Well, the sharp end going inside your physique.
Speaker 8: That's you would say it. Pal, look at me, I want you to buy the knives Sid will stab you with Pal.
Speaker 3: You're gonna pay them. You're gonna pay for them with your own money. You will not get refunded. This is not a petty cash situation. But what is petty is me. I'm petty and I have no problem encouraging, insisting, and ordering Sid to stab the shit out of you.
Speaker 8: There it is, Well, there's that's what the FBI has been waiting for in the van out back.
Speaker 3: Time to move in.
Speaker 8: Boys, we've got our evidence.
Speaker 11: All that.
Speaker 8: Vince McMahon would say, I've got no problem paying for the knives that Sid will use to stab the shit out of you. No wonder they thought they could get him on conspiracy exactly, No telling what he said on a wire that ended up being inadmissible, tremendous, tremendous stuff. So yeah, all that adds up to Sid coming back. If you ask me, and the question that Brian last asked there on a Cornett's podcast, did Vince care about the stabbing?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 8: No, I think we knew the answer before we even asked the question, and uh, it shall be done.
Speaker 22: All right, Who's it gonna be.
Speaker 3: Like this?
Speaker 22: And you mayn't be given the natural, god given ability that the Heartbreak Kid has got and not be the envy of every superstar in the World Wrestling Federation. I mean, I can beat any superstar in the World Wrestling Federation one on one, but even the Heartbreak Kid can't beat everybody in the World Wrestling Federation. I mean, yeah, exactly, I mean not all the same time, anyway. And it is for that reason that I have found it necessary to have a man to watch my back.
Speaker 23: The suspense continues to do is exactly what I have done.
Speaker 22: I have talked about it for weeks and tonight, folks, it's the night.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, the new bodyguard of the Heartbreak Kid. I'm big, how bad? All this is sick?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 4: Whoa un believable It is him.
Speaker 15: I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I can't believe why.
Speaker 24: Don't know anythink he talks to anybody anything if I come to him.
Speaker 4: This guy is a side cone, he's a nice he's a logan chick.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants it around. Take a look at this.
Speaker 4: Monster, get him. Tell me it was gonna be here. I don't even want to be at ringside? What it show? Michaelst Gan, he's cracked up.
Speaker 22: I think.
Speaker 4: Keep this and seeing is believing.
Speaker 22: The eyes of every superstar and the World Wrestling Federation are popping out of their skulls.
Speaker 4: Tell him, big man, say at that.
Speaker 5: They the people.
Speaker 6: Around the world or asking the question Sean Michaels, why why take the chance on another bodyguard with lees? Oh turned his back on you when times got tough, Say I'll tell you why?
Speaker 5: Then he could trust me.
Speaker 4: We sit down, we had a talk and then the man relaxed like that that.
Speaker 6: One that sid you are a man that has no feelings, no remorse for any ve So the second of all, the most important, that I will be by his side at all times.
Speaker 13: Yes, in all times when the times are good, oh yeah, and when the times are bad.
Speaker 6: But my brothers to him is simple. There will be no bad times. And how can I sit here and I say this? We're a simple together the heartbreak in and myself we will.
Speaker 3: Rule the world. He's the why look at this?
Speaker 4: Because I am the man the cold ship.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you heard it. We'll be back, ladies, and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 3: Ladies. Were you watching? I didn't wait a minute. I don't remember.
Speaker 8: I feel like I was told. Yeah, me too, I feel like I was told.
Speaker 3: But I did. Also, you know, this was during the time I was.
Speaker 10: Uh, I was.
Speaker 3: Taping it every week. I couldn't stay up that late, right, you know I was. I couldn't stay up. Yeah, I usually went to better Around nine is when my parents would send me to bed.
Speaker 8: And this is a time. You know, the ratings tell the story. The attendant tells the story that a lot of fans who dialed in in the late eighties and early nineties like we did, lost a lot of interest. Yeah, we we kind of aged out for a little while.
Speaker 3: I mean I didn't.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not saying you did, but I'm saying you weren't, and you know, not following every single live minute.
Speaker 3: Well I did. The thing is I did. I definitely taped every single week because I know that I was watching all the time. I mean, by this point I knew that Rob was the only show to watch. I wasn't watching weekend television anymore, so I was. I mean, I was watching more than ever at this point. Nice, it's it's it's weird. But I was definitely watching more than.
Speaker 8: Ever because a lot weren't. I mean, the ratings were just pathetic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, I was.
Speaker 13: I was.
Speaker 3: I was one who was watching all the goddamn time and.
Speaker 8: The house shows.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 8: Of course the blizzard was a factor, but in nineteen ninety five Live Attendants was a complete joke. The pay per views, especially the introduction in Your House a complete joke. And Sid's there for all of it. As we've talked about, that's part of the overlying thesis of you don't bring in SID to pop business. You bring in Sid.
Speaker 3: This business is so bad you need to Yep, you're desperate for something exactly. You're reaching hilarious that I guess you're desperate for Sid.
Speaker 8: There he is coming back despite all that's happened. And it's interesting couple of things. They have the music right away, the Psycho music. I think that's the first time we've ever heard that song on WWF television.
Speaker 3: For sure. That was not that was That was an original.
Speaker 8: A Jim Johnston song. Yep, yep, that's the February twentieth, nineteen ninety five edition of Raw. So that's just what three weeks after he loses the USWA title to Jerry Lawler in Memphis. Wow, and we've got him penciled in here. And so he walks to the ring of that music and the fact that that you know, you hear Cornett say psycho on commentary, but he's not called psycho Sid yet they say Sid. They say he's vicious, he's this, and that he's psycho. But I think the fact that they chose that music says all you need to know about how front and center. The fact he stabbed arn Anderson was in their mind. Yes, indeed, when they were thinking about the new presentation. So I don't blame Sid at all for coming to that conclusion. It struck me, as we go through the life and times of Sid, that this might be a time to quickly pause on Psycho. I mean, it's not something we've taken under the cinnemat yet. I'm sure whatever the time comes, if you consider it eligible, it's going to be a huge mountain to climb.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it certainly is. It's it's a it's a it's a it's a game changer in so many ways.
Speaker 8: We are sitting here in scary movie season, and if nothing else, it may serve as an appetizer for a future scary movie season. If this, if this helps it qualify, I mean I guess it does.
Speaker 3: I guess it does. I mean yeah, I mean if they're if they really, I mean yeah. The music, for sure, I didn't even know it's funny. I've always wanted to figure out a way to get Psycho under Then it's right there in front of my face the whole.
Speaker 8: Time, because when what scene? What scene is it?
Speaker 3: For those that don't know, Oh, it's the shower scene, the shower scene. It's any it's really it's not just a shower scene. It's any killing scene that happens in the movie. And uh uh you know, whenever, whenever the knife comes out, it's uh, you know, the music, the violin starts shriekinging, hang Hanks, it's Bernard Herman at his absolute fucking mess.
Speaker 8: Who was Bernard Herman?
Speaker 3: Quickly, who wasn't her barn Herman was one of the greatest fucking film composers of all time, all time greats. He composed so many Hitchcock movies. He did Vertigo obviously, he did Psycho, he did north By Northwest, just some of the most incredible, uh you know, soundtracks and scores for films. He just he was brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 8: So that's that's his creation.
Speaker 3: That sound yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, that's a Bernard Herman piece right there.
Speaker 8: So they throw it right in there at the top of his entrance music. And this is the new presentation right out of the gate.
Speaker 3: You heard it.
Speaker 8: It's not like they figured it out after he powered momb Sean five times he he was coming out to because I've heard Bruce say that that he doesn't remember it, and I think we'll a clip that says that he doesn't remember him being framed a psycho SID until after he turns on Sean, and of course that made him that much crazier. He kind of was portrayed as having snapped, but the music was ready to go before he ever turned on Sean. And that's all you need to know. As for alternative people who say they had everything to do with SID coming back, Kevin Nash is on the list. You want to think about Kevin Nash going back to WCW days when they shared cars together. As Kevin was breaking down as Oz and Sid was really hitting stride as a headliner and an early stage horseman, an early stage relative to his career.
Speaker 25: Oh yeah, fucking you know, yeah, Sid, you know, he's a fucking great guy. You know, go way back, workout barbers. I've never seen someone work out harder than Sid. You're not going to work.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you why. You know, guy try so hard with so little. And that's fucking said. Yeah, he's just gonna go out there. He's gonna say, you know, I am gonna fucking bench press eight hundred pounds and you're not gonna tell me shit about it, you know.
Speaker 8: And I know people go on and on about you know, he's greedy left and people holding the bag. And you know what I say that, I said, look, how many cans of Vienna sausages have you put together for your church?
Speaker 22: You know?
Speaker 3: The thing about Sid is, you know, people don't consider the fact that you know, he's he's you know, everyone talks about him holding up people for money. You know, he's he's uh, you know, he's trying to fucking grab every dime he can out of a out of a fucking uh, you know company. But you know, it's a fucking dog eat dog business, you know, and you know, what what do is sid do with that fucking money? He buys a bunch of fucking Vienna hot dogs, some Vienna sausages.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: It says, fucking I'm a dog and we need a dog. Give me my old fucking canned Vienna dog.
Speaker 10: He sent my church a case of Vienna sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I won't lie. I fucking one time I sent him, you know, I said, uh, you know, hey, yeah, I said, what do you need, bro?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 3: He said, you know, I kind of donate some fucking uh, you know, some fucking Viennas to my uh, to my church. I said, yeah, dude, I'll take it. I'll bring it to you, you know. And I sent him down about a couple of cases worth, and he yeah. About maybe two weeks later, I'm on the road and he sends me a fucking uh autograph picture, says, hey, keV, this is for you, Bud. I said, all right, guess I'll put this next to my fucking uh, you know, my original monet, my fucking wall and Kevin.
Speaker 8: You would have been really impressed by the off Broadway show said was invited to star in uh Shakespearean influence. You know what it was called?
Speaker 11: What was that?
Speaker 8: The Merchant of Viennas.
Speaker 10: He sent my church at Casey, Vienna sausages and I sent him an autograph picture. He sent my church at Casey Na sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture. He sent my church all right, sorryages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 8: There's Kevin Nash on this podcast talking about who really suggested bringing in Sid in ninety five to the w W.
Speaker 26: We had good? I begged, we had really good. I begged Sean Beggs if we begged to get him back, you know, to get him back in?
Speaker 3: And what what were you met with? He put it on us.
Speaker 26: He said, you fucking get you know, I don't think you guys need it, but if you think so, then you know, Sean, then bring you know, bring him in.
Speaker 10: We'll bring him in.
Speaker 11: H So.
Speaker 3: He also was another fucking Shakespeare you know, he did two Gentlemen of Vienna's. Yeah. I said, fuck it, you know, I said, hey, you know he's he's got a fucking he's ready. You know, you get on stage right now, take care of business fucking fuck it. It's on you.
Speaker 8: Hey, we're bringing Sid. Oh h hope, Ellen's on you. You're responsible for him.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean all right, you know ship, Well, we'll take care of Sid.
Speaker 8: See what happens, and then they do the meeting. We always talk about where they have the fake meeting after to convince Bruce that he had to roll the decision. Right, Oh my god, you know the dye is already carried.
Speaker 3: All right, listen, everybody, we're gonna tell you what we got. We got said, we'll take care of it.
Speaker 8: Good job, Kevin, keV Dots sit in. Kevin thinks he's gonna work with him.
Speaker 3: I need everybody, all right, I need everybody to come in and just stay here, all right. I need to tell you what. I need everyone to leave, all right, come back in about fifteen minutes, because that's when that's when Bruce will be here. And what we're gonna do is we're just gonna we're gonna we're gonna just shut up and let him come up with the idea.
Speaker 8: Just have a brainstorming session. Yeah, we'll have a brainstorming session about what Sean needs to feel like more of a threat to Deesel.
Speaker 3: What's going to get him over in a battle against Diesel? And everyone come up with ideas and if he if he doesn't chime in right away with something, uh, someone just say hey, you know what if we got him a new bodyguard and then let him go from there because he's I just listen. I know I do this a lot. I know that it's a pain in the ass, and I appreciate you doing this for me. I'm going to tell you right now it makes everybody's life a hell of a lot easier.
Speaker 8: Well, then, just quickly, I mean, what have you done before this meeting to assure that if someone brings up bodyguard that he will say Sid?
Speaker 3: Well, So what I did was I actually I sat down and I told him what I know. I told him about my first hand account of watching Sid stop stab er ar Anderson.
Speaker 8: Excuse me, first hand account?
Speaker 3: I what did I know?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, you said first hand account right.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about. The story was fast enough I could counted on one hand.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you know you're one of the great cat burglars in the world.
Speaker 3: Marv.
Speaker 1: He's the Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy.
Speaker 2: It's the lapsed fan. He's the lapsed Fan.
Speaker 1: Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carneso and Jpi Soro.
Speaker 8: This guy now wonder. He thinks people stepping in shit is so funny. He does it four times a day. Oh my god, that was good. That's a great callback.
Speaker 10: He sent my church a case of Vienna sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 8: For playing callbacks. So Sean takes to his book and talks about this.
Speaker 3: Picture. Oh what a deal. Okay, I guess that wordth one hundred thie fucking tartans of Vienna.
Speaker 8: Sausages in jeff Town, hounding his grandma to send Vienna's to the church so he can get so he can get an autograph date bite ten in the mail. Oh god, so I hear Sean and his book talking about this fascinating time period that leads the return of Sid. Despite our good show with the Rumble, Vince had two big warriors going in to WrestleMania eleven. The first with was whether our fans would buy the possibility of me beating a guy as big as Kevin, and the second was the overall health of the company. To alleviate his first worry, he decided to bring in psycho Sid as my bodyguard.
Speaker 3: So there it is.
Speaker 8: That's not that's not Kevin suggesting it, that's not Bruce suggesting it. That's Vince coming up with it. Sid was very big, six ' eight over n three hundred pounds and very intimidating. You get a different character than Kevin. He wasn't funny and loose and always wore a scowl when the cameras were on, and Sid looked like a real tough guy. You knew Kevin was tough, but that wasn't the first thing you noticed about him. He would sort of lully you in a sense of comfort and then beat you up. This was more than just a subtle little difference between the two, and Sid's edge gave me the equalizer that Vince was looking for. With Sid by my side, Kevin's title was in real jeopardy. Sid, for his part, was very into playing my bodyguard. See. I never saw Sid as someone that was going to cheat to help Sean win the belt, or someone that was even going to necessarily attack Kevin. I just thought of him as someone that would like bou Shan's confidence almost like right, Like Sean knows he can beat Diesel, but if he has Sid by his side, then everybody else knows they can't fuck with Sean.
Speaker 3: Like right, right, right? I mean that's the thing, Like I don't think he's going to help him cheat, but like if someone comes to mess with Sean, he's gonna kick their ass.
Speaker 8: Right exactly because he needs to keep himself out of the fires. He knows he's going to start so that he can be at his best against Diesel for the title of WrestleMania. I never thought of Sid as some of those going to attack and it Nash and he doesn't really, that's the thing. He doesn't really go after him, right, So like he powered moms him three times on the Rock before WrestleMania, you know, or anything like that. The next day, Sean writes, we had a television taping in Poughkeepsie. When I arrived at the building, Vince told me he wanted to talk Sean. We were going to switch you, babyface. What it's because of the kickout, isn't it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: I skipped ahead a bit.
Speaker 3: Well I didn't. I didn't. Are you upset with that? I didn't mean to upset you what kind of you don't have to know, you don't have to if you don't want to, don't be babyfaced.
Speaker 8: Whatever you need oh, I mean ar Wrestling Federation. I kind of want to do whatever you think is best Jack for the World Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 3: What can I do? What can I do? Please?
Speaker 8: I have news for you. What you gotta do? Whatever you want by the heart break yead and we'll Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 3: What can I do for the heart break? Good?
Speaker 8: You can say it like that.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 8: Please tell me I need you Well, I'll tell you what, Vince. Here's what I can do. I can get you an autograph picture of Sid if you do the following.
Speaker 10: Shid my church at Casey Beanna Sausages And I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 3: Done. I need an autogo picture of Sid.
Speaker 8: He needs it because that's what Sean offered when he asked him what can I do? How funny is that? And he pretends he needs a picture of Sid.
Speaker 3: Whatever I need I need from Sean Sean? Hold on ready, whatever.
Speaker 8: I need I need from Sean Sean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, John John John Sean.
Speaker 8: Did you hang up? Did we lose did we lose the connection?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 3: He and I are connected.
Speaker 8: We will never lose the connection.
Speaker 3: The Souls Souls of Connectivity, the.
Speaker 8: Tag team of Shawn Michaels and Vince McMahon, collectively known as Souls of Connectivity Connectivity.
Speaker 3: You can see it.
Speaker 8: Whip up the shirt, Souls of Connectivity, I mean the beating heart, Vince's furrowed brow, every rights itself. We're gonna switch your baby face. It's because of the kickout, isn't it now? I skipped ahead in the book and the book he talks about how in the body of the WrestleMania eleven match with Kevin Nash, there's a spot they call where Sean kicks out of no Diesel kicks out of the belloted beat the two drops supplex and everybody thought that that was going to be Sean winning the belt and by doing yeah something like that, there's a spot in the match. There's a spot on the match where Diesel kicks out, and like they should have known that what that would do was piss the crowd off that Sean didn't win the belt. Instead of thinking they would think Diesel was a superhero for kicking out, because if they were reading the crowd right, they would know that there wouldn't be the desired effect if they called that spot, but they did it anyway, further compounding this feeling from the crowd that, oh my god, like, now you know, we want him to win the belt, and you're gonna tease us with him winning the belt and expect us to then turn around and be excited when Diesel ultimately wins. It's one thing is not Diesel just runs him over.
Speaker 3: You know, how can you not be excited? I'm excited? How much merch diesel Mania? Hello, obviously, huh.
Speaker 8: He goes, So you're not excited. I'm excited. He goes diesel Mania. Like, do I have to say it? Do I really have to say it out loud?
Speaker 3: I mean, can't what this is? What I don't understand. This is excitement personified diesel maniacs. Oh.
Speaker 8: I can see him in every corner of the world.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm winning right now in my pants.
Speaker 8: I'm winning right now. All these kids with the black leather love on. You know, we're talking hip, We're talking merch pal We're talking licensing, adjacencies.
Speaker 3: Merch hip, merch right right, that's what we do. We hip.
Speaker 8: Would the fanny pack be hip? Merch.
Speaker 3: I think it would be. I think we can also hide merch in the fannie pack.
Speaker 8: Remember the fanny pack that looked like the WWF title.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a fucking lame. I can't believe fanny packs are back right now. It nauseates me.
Speaker 8: Well, they're back because it didn't used to be better.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 8: They just the kids keep proving that we didn't live in any kind of golden age by trying desperately to dress up like we did. I mean, I guess bell bottoms came back for twenty four hours when we were kids, but for the most part were kids desperately trying to dress like the seventies.
Speaker 15: No, the.
Speaker 3: Right, the opposite, Yeah, very interesting, But I mean the bell bottoms. I mean actually that Yeah, that was like yeah, and that was like two years and.
Speaker 8: It was jeans in the shape of bell bottoms. It wasn't slacks, right right, Okay? And he says, you know that that kickout was a bad call on my part.
Speaker 3: I admit it.
Speaker 8: Why is it affecting me? I'm the only heel that you have. They like you, the people like you. Sean Vince said, yeah, you saw that right in the high gear tour.
Speaker 3: I did, I did.
Speaker 8: They like me, but they like to hate me. Now is not the time you make the mistake and it costs me in my career. I was not happy. We're going to have Sid drop you injure you tonight and you'll go home for six weeks. And so it was boss the April third, nineteen ninety five edition of Monday Night Raw, the following takes place, Big.
Speaker 22: Daddy, I'll return the favorite, all right, But what about uh?
Speaker 4: What about Sid?
Speaker 16: The comments made by Diesel.
Speaker 22: Look, Look, as far as Sid is concerned, I can live my life just fine without a bodyguard.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I got here because of the heartbreak.
Speaker 5: Kid.
Speaker 22: Quite honestly, I don't need a bodyguard, and I certainly don't need a bodyguard to cause the referee to turn.
Speaker 3: His ankle and cost me the.
Speaker 22: World Wrestling Federation Championship soon. As far as the rematch is concerned, Big Sid, I'm gonna do your favorite, big man in this rematch. I'm giving you the night off. Let they tell you something. He's stupid, little kid.
Speaker 5: As we stand here, there's days I've gone by.
Speaker 18: I get the feeling you wouldn't believe these days that you're saying.
Speaker 23: Wait a minute, we're gonna have to take a break.
Speaker 5: I know, I just cruel off.
Speaker 3: I'm on the place.
Speaker 5: No, you wouldn't believe these days. Never gonna tell you something boring. You don't give me, then I have.
Speaker 4: Donkid me nothing but respect.
Speaker 3: Probably got to thank a right, just thinking, did they really go for a break? Totally?
Speaker 4: God, turn it right, you won't.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I know this guy was gonna flip further lighter his life.
Speaker 3: Shuden.
Speaker 4: I goes out, what's going on ahead, huh son snuff.
Speaker 8: They go off the air. They're alive, and they totally miss timed o. People will forget that that the first airing of this. Uh, they go to break and when they come back, he's already power bombed. We don't see the power bomb until the next week on Raw when they replay it.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, I don't remember that at all.
Speaker 8: And and here's what it sounded like the next week when they were able to play the whole thing.
Speaker 22: All right.
Speaker 16: Now, here's what you didn't see, ladies and gentlemen. Now Sean was hurting and he had had enough of said look look at him, get right in the sid's face. Look at Sid, backing up from Seawn Michael's walk.
Speaker 5: I've been beat up.
Speaker 22: Why bigger and better people than you, but nobody has been on to keep me down. You want some listening ball, you can't have it out of the help, I'm sure king, I don't nature craft.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, now comes the act of cowardice. Watch this sit next Here that Shawn's backing turned to blood.
Speaker 23: From behind, this big, bad, tough monster, said, attacking Sean Michaels from behind.
Speaker 4: Michaels, who had added question in.
Speaker 23: The toughest match of his career the night before against Big.
Speaker 4: Danny Cool Diesels.
Speaker 23: And look the powerful he went up so high he went all the way over, landing on him, hipping his shoulder.
Speaker 4: That wasn't enough, No, no, Sid was out to teach Sean Michaels a.
Speaker 16: Lesson, a lesson that Michael would never forget.
Speaker 3: Sid.
Speaker 23: But yet, powerbomb after power bomb after powerbomb, Sid continued to relish in attempting to destroy the man who brought him back to the World Rustling Federation.
Speaker 4: This was gratitude for you.
Speaker 23: Unquestionably, Sid living up to his moniker known as Psycho Sid. SID was completely out of control and yet another powerbomb.
Speaker 5: Yeah, had to wonder just how.
Speaker 23: Many power bombs pro lunch damage would Sid have done to Sean Michael's back.
Speaker 4: It was obvious that was the area that Sid wanted to attack.
Speaker 23: Michaels had made reference to it earlier in the interview and look at Sid with an insult of his boot. Now on the backup Sean Michaels be rating him verbally and till, ladies and gentlemen, but ww champion Diezel Hurrah going this sin and all of a sudden, thing bad Sid turned into a coward looking h room and Diesel asking for help to come in and meanwhile keeping his distance from the ring.
Speaker 4: This psycho, the Sid.
Speaker 23: And the look of concern on Diesel's face told the entire story. Yes it didn't Ben Shawn Michaels of every night before he had faced Diesel for the WWF title, went all that aside.
Speaker 4: It came down to.
Speaker 16: Diesel keeping this godless lunatic, this loose cannon away from doing yet more damage to Seawn Michaels. And then we see Michaels finally placed on the structure.
Speaker 3: In this case, the.
Speaker 16: Friendship between Diesel and Shawn Michaels meaning a great deal more than the WWF championship. Michael's had the wonder of this juncture, whether or not his career was over. Diesel had to wonder whether or not his path whatever cross that of psycho shit.
Speaker 8: Sounds like the seeds are planted for his first program.
Speaker 3: Just a couple couple of seeds there.
Speaker 8: So if you're worried that Diesel's not over is the face and that Shawn's eclipsing him as the face, what do you do? You have Diesel save Sean from a beatdown.
Speaker 3: Well, there we go exactly and now they are, they're friends, and they're better than before.
Speaker 8: So anybody inclined to cheer Sean over Diesel, we'll have to cheer Diesel because he saved their man.
Speaker 3: You see, I fixed it, Yes he did. I fixed everything. Indeed, he did him the hero.
Speaker 8: So chure me you don't recall that hiccup where on night one they had to go to a break in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: I can tell you I do know that I missed that show.
Speaker 8: I do remember. I do remember the sudden rush of Sean's out in like the mystery and feeling like they played it that way on purpose. But I really don't think they did that way. But they were in a rush. It looked like to me because you can hear like Vince is telling him we need to go to a break. You can hear Cornett saying it over the airwaves, bracing the audience for it. It didn't seem like it was something a welcome in position, and so you can't even hear in that an original clip Whereean introduced Sid on the comeback, where Vince is like, oh, the suspense is building, almost like, come on, Pally, make the fucking announcement.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: It's taking a while. Sid one of the money quotes there in that interview before he attacked Sean, you don't give me the night off, so sit trust me, Sid will take the night off, but you will not give it to him.
Speaker 3: You will give me the night off. I take the night off. I give you the night off, ik for you the night.
Speaker 8: I give you the night off of being my boss because I'm not going to be here to fuck you right.
Speaker 3: Eat my god, what.
Speaker 4: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: People say that.
Speaker 3: You're just.
Speaker 8: I mean, when do you guys feel like in your Sid tribute that it just reached like a point where it was just like delirium. I think it was when JP had Sid say, in a fit of rage after being told he doesn't get the night off, he takes it eat my cunt. I thought that was when we lost all control.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it.
Speaker 8: And the key ones on the replane that you don't get on the first airring is Sid doesn't just brutally attack Sean. He cheap shots Sean, and there's dialogue where Sid backs off and Sean has a much more forceful like, you know, I'm cranky, I'm sure, I'm tired, I'm hurt. I don't need this right now. Sid backs off, Sean turns around, he cold cox him. But on the first airing, it looks like Sid, like Vince said, just fucking attacked him, you know, because he's because he's telling him he doesn't need him anymore. So that was a that was a key subtletye to miss, which makes me think that they definitely didn't intend on it playing out the way it did on week one, but there it is. That's the that's the heel turn that sends Sean away for a while, and that sets up one of the key programs for WBF in nineteen ninety five, Diesel versus SID for the championship and as we mentioned and headlines the very first in your house because they introduced the concept in May of nineteen ninety five. Of these two houses, it's shut us. Yes, the concept of this cut rate two hour pay per view, and we've covered them in the archives. The matches, let's do.
Speaker 3: I'll you what we'll do. We'll do a cut rate, shortened pay per view and we'll do a for those. For that first one, we'll do a cut right match. That's right.
Speaker 8: The matches, Boss, are not good. I think Suffice not good.
Speaker 3: This is not uh.
Speaker 8: This does not make one bullish on Sid's prospects upon return of WWF. When he has to match wits and styles with Kevin Nash and he's kind of tough, it's awful. Well what was awful about it? I feel like I have I have an idea, but I want to hear what you say. I mean it just you know, it's one of those matchups that it looks great on paper. It looks great on paper, it makes sense, but the excitement just does not materialize come near.
Speaker 3: Not to forget about having a good match, you know, like In my mind, I wanted them to just have just you know, whenever whenever there was a there was a time when I was younger where I was like, Okay, I need this to be you know, I even though I longed for Hull Cogan, I also needed to kind of have a new, a newer like show that could be like a hul Cogan type show, you know, like I wanted in a weird way, I wanted Sid and uh Diesel to be a modern version of Hogan Andre. So I could watch a current show but have the same feeling yep as watching an older show, you know. So I could have the newer uh everything. And I always longed for that, Like I always wanted to have a match that could resemble something from earlier but not but not be that that old show.
Speaker 8: It's the first vestiges you get as a wrestling fan of what keeps you hooked the rest of your life. This like this, like that's what I'm looking for. That's the feeling I'll plug into. Yeah, that's what got me hooked, And you just spend the rest of your fucking life trying to get that back in a sustainable way. You know, You'll get bits and pieces. You'll get teases to keep you around, of course, but yeah, I mean once Diesel and Sid get in the ring, you're like, wait a minute, No, this is not as this does not feel anywhere near as epicas as I led myself to believe.
Speaker 3: It is not good.
Speaker 8: And we've heard, you know, Kevin Nash speak on Sid's return. We've heard Vince on Commentaries speak on Sid's return. We've we've heard Shawn Michaels and Bruce Pritchard speak about sids return. How about Sid himself, Oh boy, this is how he remembers finding his way back into the More Wrestling Federation, as we just heard on the podcast interview he did with Sean Mooney.
Speaker 10: No one. I'd left Vince on bad terms, but I still believed in myself enough that Vince needed someone like me and he would, you.
Speaker 3: Know, use me now.
Speaker 10: Reluctantly he did. He called me in I was working for Memphis and he had me flying to the office here in Stanford. He told me exactly what he wanted me to do, and I told him exactly what I had to have to do it. And that's how we've come to terms, you know. So that's how I came back at Psycho said, of course we know the reason they called me Psycho sid righty are you laughing, Sean?
Speaker 3: Uh huh? Wow? Did you just laugh?
Speaker 12: Sean?
Speaker 3: No, I said, I love this story. Another story is.
Speaker 10: I didn't even know what Psycho said was about, and even the music, because again, Sean, I don't fucking care. So when I come back making Georgia and no shit, they didn't have maybe one hundred people in the audience at night WWF, and I was thinking, what the fuck is going on here? You know, now realize why they were willing to bring me back. They were on their fucking ass big time. And then again, people didn't get paid for a month at a time. And that's where I said, Okay, I got this job. I'll make the best of it. I think I made about little was three hundred grand that year, not great, but enough to you know, pay the bills.
Speaker 3: So is the hall not great? I mean three grand for working from fucking what March until November, not.
Speaker 8: Even wrestling in the ring. At wrestling me right right, I'm probably getting a paycheck commensurate with Sean's and Diesels, if not exactly the same. But all he thinks about is. I had someone tell me I could make five hundred thousand in WCW before I left, and I told myself that's what I was worth. So three hundred and fifty thousand is a pay cut, So you know how that goes. Yeah, but you know he's smart. He knows Vince is going to have to come back to him, and he knows it's because he's fucking massive, and he knows how to stay massive, even in a regime that's pretending to test for steroids, or at least that is testing for steroids, but is negotiable that there's ways around it, apparently.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I know, I can tell for a fact that Sean Mooney had no fucking idea what that story was.
Speaker 8: Oh, he got terrified, is what happened. He didn't know if sid was actually mad at him for snickering when they said, you know why they called me psycho?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know if that was said jumping into character. That'd be a little clever. You never hear him ever do that and shoot interviews like reverting to KFE. But in that moment, I was not sure what to make of that. Actually, I really wasn't. But still that's that's that's his recollection of things. And and of course, yes he feels underpaid by the end of it, you know that goes.
Speaker 3: But he felt underpaid by going on Sean Mooney's podcast.
Speaker 8: Well there's no telling what kind of deal they worked out. But but yeah, so Sid's back and that's that's his perspective on how and why. And here's some more from Bruce. This is Pritchard talking about the genesis of the name and the origins of the name and kind of trying to remember the chronology of when indeed they decided he would be the Psycho one.
Speaker 14: But allegedly upon his return here he tells Vince, I won't be called Psycho, said, I'll be said vicious, or I'll be said but not Psycho said. Now, of course we know we get there eventually. And when he makes a debut on February twentieth, Sean introduces him, ask Sid, was there ever discussion that you know of here in ninety five of calling him psycho?
Speaker 21: Said, see, I don't remember the psycho Sid came until after the stuff with Sean, after WrestleMania, when Sid attacked Sean. The idea Vince didn't like Sid Justice because he felt that Sid Justice was.
Speaker 3: A babyface name.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, so that's why we went with just Sid.
Speaker 21: And the idea behind him being in Shawn's corner was he was just bodyguard Sid.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 21: And the funny thing to me was throughout this whole relationship with Sean, it was an very interesting dynamic between Shawn and Sid because here you got this big monster Sid and I remember him like doing kind of fixing Sean's hair when Sean would get the coat on and fluff his hair out, and then he would help Sean tie his tie and put him all together. It was it just was interesting. Here's this big, nasty looking bastard taking care of of Sean. He really looked after him, which was it was kind of funny in and of itself, but they had I mean, they kind of clicked together.
Speaker 3: They really did. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 8: So the names on the table and you would think, you know, here's the thing, we can figure it out. We hear the song. We heard the entrance music when he came back back for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yes, on that raw.
Speaker 8: We know where that comes from. Sid as he's proud to say, is no dummy. He knows the connotations here, But does he What if Boss Sid never saw Psycho?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's what I would believe.
Speaker 8: It has no idea.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know that was my name that.
Speaker 9: Night, you know this is you know, actually I was working for the Miss Territory, you know, trying to make a big secret out of it.
Speaker 3: He flew me in.
Speaker 9: We were up and doing a show with Zille every Wednesday night. We do from Louisville and Edsville from Wednesday. And during that day I flew into the office and we sit there and talked about coming in and doing some stuff.
Speaker 12: And then so they brought me back and asked me to do it, and I said, yeah, I'd.
Speaker 3: Like to come back.
Speaker 9: And so I think it's making Georgia's our first TV.
Speaker 17: And I actually walked to the ring and I don't even remember them said what they called me, and didn't remember the music and the lighting, if from understanding, was like the water in the shower from the girl getting stabbed.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. So when I come back to the dust room, I'm.
Speaker 9: The last one and I usually had the last one to know that I'm getting ribbed.
Speaker 3: And some of the guys. Who wasn't They go, you know, what just happened? And whatnother?
Speaker 9: They said, you just did the shower scene of the Psycho movie. I went, oh shit, So it was sort of I didn't pick up on it myself.
Speaker 8: I had no clue, imagine. I mean, also, they didn't you didn't do the shower scene.
Speaker 3: No, he didn't. You didn't do it.
Speaker 8: You didn't stab anybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, yeah, you didn't come out there and like fucking open up a shower curtain and stab a naked woman. All right, Like you didn't do the scene. You just they played the music and you know, and you walked out. I didn't know that the water drops, that's something I did always wonder why they had kind of those that drop spotty. Look, that's very interesting. I never picked up.
Speaker 8: When you said that drops body.
Speaker 3: Look you mean where the lighting? Oh, when he comes out, when he comes out, he had that kind of lighting. I remember that.
Speaker 8: Oh wow. See I didn't. I didn't pick up on that at all.
Speaker 3: I never really picked up on it, being you know, I guess I never really picked it up. I mean, I obviously knew that the music at that point, but I didn't really like pick up. It was like a direct I thought it was more like a flavor as opposed to like, I don't know what they were implying right right.
Speaker 27: The Lapstan Wrestling podcast. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack And.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that. That's an even stronger signal. I didn't even think about that. I only thought about the music. But the fact that they try to replicate a steamy shower.
Speaker 3: Well, like, yeah, it's like water drops, like you know, I remember, I do remember that, Like it was like blue he had like blue spots or something like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, as lighting. But he didn't know there's nother movie. Here's no fucking, no fucking ship. Tremendous, so tremendous. That's said, like you can just like you can sneak in whatever characterizations you want as long as the checks are coming, He's not gonna notice, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the checks are coming in the vienna to getting to the church.
Speaker 8: Well he's back now and he's in the line of fire Boss. According to the pages of w WF magazine, we've been using the Big two magazine coverage of Sid is kind of like signposts for his evolution as a character and to get a flavor of how he was presented. We of course hit you with some great vintage WWF magazine clippings last time in terms of how we were introduced to Sid Justice as avid readers of the Company magazine. And now that he's back, it's time that he sits with Vic Venom aka Vince Russo for an in depth Q and A and apparently a photo shoot at the Cheers Bar in Boston.
Speaker 3: I do not know. That's fucking weird.
Speaker 8: Maybe they were just coming back from the in High Gear tour.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe maybe this was the maybe this was right after maybe they maybe they were doing this the same day they were doing you know, they were in Worcester. Maybe they said maybe was.
Speaker 8: Like, why don't I go to Boston right with Sid and we'll take pictures. Well, Boss, I would really appreciate it if you could serenade us with this uh probing look into Sid psyche and I'll be providing the voice of the or when we get there.
Speaker 3: All right, Yes, I was gonna say, I need you to be uh to be Russo before the patrons of the bar even had the chance to say, Norm, brother, what Norm?
Speaker 8: And the lunatic dude where what in norm do you like?
Speaker 3: What do you am?
Speaker 8: I outside the norm? Or's he inside?
Speaker 3: Wait? Who? Well Hogan? What? Who said what? Before the patrons of the bar even had the chance to say norm, the good people of the Bull and Finch bub a Ka cheers had already felt the presence of the curly locked, blonde haired, twisted looking stranger.
Speaker 8: You know, if I describe, if I described Sid, yes, I would say he's a curly locked, blonde haired, twisted looking stranger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's about right. All the way from Arkansas to visit their friendly establishment in Boston, Massachusetts, everybody knew his name, apparently not if he's a stranger. Just yeah, No, it wasn't Sam WOODI or Cliff, nor was it Carla, Diane or miss.
Speaker 8: This is huge, I don't know, I don't know who that is? Oh, miss Howe is how okay? This is Russo demonstrating that he watches television here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the name, ladies and gentlemen, was just Plane Sid or if you.
Speaker 8: Prefer Psycho, damn there it is in black and white.
Speaker 3: And also they put the P before like it would end up just becoming the S right because they can do trademark that right, and they can do you know, stupid like alliteration with it.
Speaker 8: Is the August nineteen ninety folks, Sid sucks, perhaps right, Yeah, that's right, they could do the S's August ninety five issue by the way.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so well, after in high gear on this drizzling, gray, overcast Saturday, Sid decided that he wanted to visit the landmark that had inspired the legendary sitcom Cheers. Getting this inside information from the trusty informer, I immediately hopped into my car and headed to eighty four Beacon Street, downtown Beantown. Guess what. Once I reached my destination, it didn't take me too long to find him. Within the first five minutes that I had set my sights on him, eye witnessed Sid scare the Bejesus out of two innocent looking children who were merely seeking his autograph, physically lift two young men use me off the sideck simultaneously buy their throats. Where's the Boston PD for this shit for simply looking at him? Beat up a family sedan because a poor unknowing housewife had the gall to ask him to please get off it so she could pull out brother.
Speaker 8: What get off it, so we could pull out, get off, to pull out to what SID doesn't get off?
Speaker 3: I pull out.
Speaker 8: SID doesn't know anything about pulling out of a show.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't you mean? I mean I have to pull in with Terry. I forgot.
Speaker 8: It's nothing to do with you. This is an article about Sid. Why are you reading it as if it's like veiled shots at you.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm I'm not reading. I don't have them. I don't I don't read the magazine, dude, I just heard things.
Speaker 8: Who's this Linda Kelly brother that edits the magazine?
Speaker 3: Who's Who's who's the lady in the back brother watching it?
Speaker 8: Well, Terry, Terry, I'm sorry this is a ca FA deal. But with Linda Kelly, that's Linda McMahon. Linda is the person. What what do you mean Linda McMahon, dude, she's the editor. She who Anything you've seen in that magazine is crossed her eyes, and she's approved it, and she's she's improved. She's in fame favor of what.
Speaker 3: Do you favor? Favor with the Lynda McMann brother. I didn't know who this Linda Kelly really.
Speaker 8: Is, dude, it's Lynda McMahon. I know it might be that you're going.
Speaker 3: To tell me that Lina McMahon is going on there on a k fabe name, dude, bullshit brother.
Speaker 8: I know who's work work dude.
Speaker 3: I know for a fat brother that it's you know, well, I can't tell you the otherwise, fucking burst my bubble.
Speaker 8: What's the next move?
Speaker 3: Terry big bootleg drop? That was the next movie?
Speaker 10: Why?
Speaker 8: Of course?
Speaker 3: And Las but not Lee snapped the umbrella of an excited tourist to have the quote audacity to ask him if he could take just his picture? Could just take his picture?
Speaker 8: I have three guys in this picture here watching with the muse looks on their face while Sid pretends to snap their umbrella.
Speaker 3: He's like fucking holding it like you know, as if he's you know, there's no sense of violence going on, like it's you can tell he pose for that picture.
Speaker 8: Yes, the knee is standing there stiff waiting for them to snap the picture of him pretending to snap the umbrella over his knee like Bo Jackson does a baseball bat. And then they have him yanking on a fucking when windshield wipe.
Speaker 3: I know with this woman screaming in.
Speaker 8: The background so bizarre. And next he's gonna find a squeegee in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother, you think this job is fun? I had to interview this maniac brother editor.
Speaker 8: Then you can see the back of Vincruzzo's head there.
Speaker 3: Fucking vest And what an idiot, what a fucking moron he is, the way he dresses.
Speaker 8: Remember walking by Cheers when we went to that side of campus.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, they fucking I went there a couple of times too. I think the burg absolutely had a burger sat down there, you know, and was thoroughly disappointed that it did not look like Cheers until I went to the Faniel Hall one, which did look like Cheers.
Speaker 8: Said, YO, said, do you mind if I get a word with you for the magazine?
Speaker 3: The magazine you call that part trash?
Speaker 19: A magazine, that ridiculous mass of saper paper that had that pathetic good Samaritan on the cover, safe in his broken buddy, that glossy pilot that red sid snaps as friends reunite.
Speaker 3: Is it the magazine you're talking about, miss.
Speaker 8: Treasurer swallowing, swallowing very hard. Uh yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 3: I mean, Well, let me tell you something, you pathetic human being I rid your stinking story and that piece of garbe.
Speaker 8: It was all wrong.
Speaker 3: You call yourself a journalist, You nothing but a low down, dirty, stinking liar. You are no truth.
Speaker 8: Well, yes, I shut up.
Speaker 3: Well it speaks you magine. Sean called me, he wanted me. I was never his bodyguard. The understanding was that we were supposed to watch each other's back. The problem began due to Sean being so wrapped up in himself. Sean knew right away that the people only believed in me and not him. That set off as ego. Sean knows why that he's not me. It's never gonna be me. It will never be me, and it will never be able to do the things that I do. That's why he was trying to hog the spotlight by giving me the night off.
Speaker 5: Nobody gives me the night off.
Speaker 8: Yes, nobody repeat it, say what it read what it says, boss, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Nobody gives me anything.
Speaker 8: I mean, chef's kiss, chef's kiss, I mean, that's just sad. Really, nobody gives me anything. The sid story, that's right, but he was paying your salary.
Speaker 3: Wait, Rod, there you pencil, push and puke. Nobody pays me that's not what I heard. That's not what I heard said.
Speaker 5: That's the problem.
Speaker 3: Nobody pays me what I deserve. Seaw Michael doesn't have enough money to pay me. I've made more money in one night than Sean made in a whole year. This business is all about how much much money you're able to bring in. Okay, so fucking now, he's fucking uh, he's fucking exposing, he.
Speaker 8: Said, quickly, just quickly. If nobody pays you, then how do you make more money in one night than Sean does?
Speaker 3: If nobody pays you, then why are you here?
Speaker 8: Nobody pays you, How do you, I don't know, make money?
Speaker 3: Yeah right? If nobody pays you, then you know, how do you buy food?
Speaker 8: Sound poor to me?
Speaker 3: Pally? How many people you can put this is fucking fucked, fucking breaking k favier. This business is all about how much money you're able to bring in, how many people you can put in the seats. Now that Shawn Michaels, the Little Diesel has ever sold out a building in their lives.
Speaker 8: Oh ship in the company magazine, it's definitely russo trying to slip one in, you know, yeah right, I'm then so I didn't take a look at this month's magazine. But I just just crossed my desk. I didn't get a look at it for a winter publication. We'll talk about what you're trying to get across here, this idea that we're not drawing with our champion.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you know, I don't mind. I understand that you're trying to write an entertaining feature about sid for the for the magazine. But what I don't understand is why you're trying to expose the business and why you're trying to insinuate that that we're not always selling out houses.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you a question, Vince, have you ever sold out a house?
Speaker 3: Let me you know, let me ask you something. Do you sell houses?
Speaker 8: Because I've got a pay per view coming up called in your House, and we need a house to effectuate this transaction.
Speaker 3: We didn't do it hard, all right, because I can't sell a house. I don't have the training.
Speaker 8: Ye can you sell in your house? That doesn't doesn't seem like a clear answer either.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand where are we going.
Speaker 8: This is before the raw magazine. I put it on his desk, I said, Vince, this is where we're going. Two weeks later, I'm in a creative meeting and he holds up the magazine and he says, this, guys, is where where headed?
Speaker 3: And I don't even know where that is? Where am I? Who's headed? Where? What? Where am I?
Speaker 8: Who's headed?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 8: There's a lot happening there. Yes, not a good sign in ninety five, especially if five.
Speaker 3: No, not a good sign at all. I just want to I just want to do well by my you know, with my things.
Speaker 8: Enough. Quotes from the cutscenes from the Netflix.
Speaker 3: Do you remember wrestlingy eight over sixty thousand people at the Who's your dome? Who was in the main event? Word may wordman?
Speaker 8: He says, like it's an insult.
Speaker 5: Who's in the main event? Wordman? Who?
Speaker 3: That's the difference between me and them?
Speaker 8: Still said, has given you the night off? Doesn't in any way justify you're almost ending the guy's career a career.
Speaker 3: You called that a career. I call it a Traves team. That they even let a joker in a wrestling ring. It was a slap in the face. Seaan Michaels is not my equal. He's never gonna be a world wrestling Entertainment champion I am.
Speaker 5: He was the one who got him my face.
Speaker 3: He was the one who poked me in the chest. He was the one who called me.
Speaker 8: Boy, but said you jumped him when his back was turned.
Speaker 3: His back was turned, Well, you kidding me? This business isn't all about shaking hands, hugging necks and being friends. If you're stupid enough to get in my face, put your hands on me, and then turn your back on me, then you're stupid enough to get beat up like Sean beat up.
Speaker 8: There are those who say your outlandish actions on Monday Night Raw were attributed to one reason, and one reason only, jealousy. What do you say to that?
Speaker 5: You're right, it's jealousy.
Speaker 3: Of me trigger the whole thing. It started off at wrestlemany eleven, when Sean and Diesel were out there resting their guts out and the people were chin what they were chanting Sid. That's where the jealousy started right then.
Speaker 8: And there is Diesel jealous of Sid, no isy jealous.
Speaker 3: But he's also very sappy. One minute shown her worst enemies, the next minute their best buddies. You know what, In a way, I think it's kind of cute. Seems a Diesel is the true hero these days. First shown then Bam Bam, then Razor Ramon. You know why Diesel's been doing those pathetic good deeds because he has sickness, and that sickness is to hear the cheers of the people. You know, it'd be too easy for me to get in that ring with Diesel and kick him all over it. Now, my plan is to mentally torture him. He knows all about the power that I possess, that I know that I'm always and he knows I'm always near. That scares him to death, his worst enemy and his time and fear he has to think about me for not just a day, but for the rest of his life. I'm gonna wear him down mentally to the point of making him crazy.
Speaker 8: Speaking off crazy, how do you feel about the fans calling you psycho?
Speaker 3: You know what bothers me a little bit because I don't know why they're calling me psycho. Maybe it's because of the split part.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that will do it.
Speaker 3: Maybe because of the split personality I have.
Speaker 26: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The bottom line is that people come up with their own ideas before they do any research.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, fucking stupid quote.
Speaker 5: That's why I hate people like you and the media so much.
Speaker 3: You're not smart enough to see the truth. But you know what, every little knock in this world is a boost. It's all taken.
Speaker 8: Well, if I'm not smart enough to see the truth, then you tell me exactly what the real truth is. Tell me about the real relationship between Sid and his new boss, the million dollar man, Teddy Biassi.
Speaker 3: You know, for being the enter of a magazine. I can't believe how stupid you are, how many times you have to tell you nobody is Sid's boss, nobody pay Sid salary.
Speaker 8: Nobody pays Sid salary. Well, that's a problem, isn't it, Joe.
Speaker 19: Nobody's gonna tell Sid what to do or how to eat, or how to work, or how to dress, or which guys to wrestle or when to wrestle them.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a whole bad Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you don't sound particularly employable as a pro wrestler.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do what Sid wants to do.
Speaker 8: If you're your own man, as you claim, then why did you join the million dollar corporation in the first place.
Speaker 3: In the wild, we all have an instinct to survive. When I was looking for a certain something from the outside. I decide who I wanted to be with and why I wanted to be with them. I'm not the alpha wolf and a pack of wolves. But I can't always do everything by myself because I'm always gonna be outnumbered, just like what happened with Sid and Sean or Sean and Diesel when they teamed up on me. But now I have the best in the world backing me up. It's a corporation. We're a pack. We run together. Nonetheless, I'm still the alpha, and I'm always gonna eat first, and I'm gonna was gonna eat first, be paid first, be paid the most first.
Speaker 8: I thought nobody paid your salary, be paid the most first. This is just I have no doubt in my mind that this isn't an exact direct transcription of what he said.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right. I mean, he's just letting them the first time I've ever read one of these interviews that actually I believe is the person the way.
Speaker 8: And you know, you got to think of Russo making mental notes as he goes about these quirks when he writes for Sid later on in WCW, when he comes back around, Oh, absolutely, have you made yourself the alpha, or has the corporation labeled you that.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say that these guys have a fear of me, but they know me and they know what I can do. They know that if they ever decided to jump me, eventually the alpha will drag them all down one by one. I'm the leader for a reason. I'm the leader because I'm bigger, I'm meaner, I'm stronger.
Speaker 8: The corporation knows that at what point do you become satisfied in the World Wrestling Federation, satisfied.
Speaker 3: When two things happen. Number one, when I am the world's entertainment champion and number two, when I get the proper respect I deserve. In times, I will rule the world.
Speaker 8: Wow, what a glimpse into the psyche.
Speaker 3: Huh Oh, that's a fucking that's amazing.
Speaker 8: It's all there. I mean, his piccadillos, his fucking way with words, his his fucking nonsense. It is truly remarkable how how perfect a character he is for an article like that. Yep, and again, Russo would write for SID not only in WCW, but also during the earliest stages of the Attitude era, where Russo would have some responsibility for backstage promo scripting, not that a whole bunch of guys you know, took scripts or anything, but they accepted kind of his bullet points and framing. You can't help it, hit, You can't help but think of the gears turning in Russo's head and Money keeps talking about the corporation as well, right, seriously, of course the Corporation would be a centerpiece stable theme device in Russo's peak WWF writing. And yeah, the Corporation was originally Teddybasse's stable of wrestlers. It was kind of like the Heenan family, right a little bit. Yeah, I mean it was like any It was like any of the any stable. Yep, you know, it'd have the same thing, same vibe. That's what the mentality was, both in front of and behind the camera as it regards pairing up Sid with the Corporation and really Ted Dibiassi as a manager here in the w w F nineteen ninety five. But you know, all told when it comes to developing the and proposing and setting in stone the Sid character that we just heard in that interview and what we've been talking about this far, I think Cornett wraps it up pretty well.
Speaker 7: That's why Vince McMahon was so sold on the SID multiple times, because he looked so good and Vince knew he had just like Donald pleasants in Halloween if he could just reach him, you know. But he found out that those eyes were soulless. He couldn't keep him under control, in from blowing up, from having issues whatever, to fully monetize him. And that's the thing they threw from nineteen eighty nine through nineteen ninety what eight or nine.
Speaker 3: With w C A little bit after that, yeah, a little are two thousand.
Speaker 7: They threw money at him. He would he'd quit, leave, go home, get the mutual split, whatever the fuck. All the incidents get fired for the thing with Arn and he'd sit at home for a while, and then the other when the heat was off the other side, because of there was something there, they would get him and then some would happen again. So he could have been much bigger and for a longer period of time, because there were so many breaks in that period of time.
Speaker 8: So we go forward now that SID is despite all the warning signs and despite all the handholding necessary, and despite the the need to align them with Teddy biasse they go forward and Yeah, the first match that Sid has back with WWF upon returning, you heard the February Monday Night Ross segments there and the night after WrestleMania. But the first time he actually has a match is on April fourth, nineteen ninety five and Glenn falls in New York where he matches up against the guy they sent to Memphis to test him out kick the tires, a bed the Undertaker, Wow the future WrestleMania thirteen main event, which when the match happened, felt like the first time the two had clashed, didn't it.
Speaker 3: I don't even know that they did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was kind of like, all right, Undertaker, Sid, that's you know, say what you will for a WrestleMania main event.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean WrestleMania. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that felt like the first time that it ever had. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they had never even really been in each other's orbit. But come to find out, a big part of getting Sid back with WWF was matches with the Undertaker and being litmus tests on how ready he was to return. But overall has mentioned, Sid viewed the ninety five return as a whipping post situation. Basically, you know, being punished or being demoted over and over again. He said on a shooting interview with Vince in WCW. When I came back and forth both times, we all know the story, and me quitting Vince put me in a bind. When I went back the next time, I was on the whipping post. But this is what again, I credit my to this, he says, you know what, I'll be on this whipping post for a little bit, but I'm good enough that they're going to have to use me one day, you know, in a position beyond like cutting him down to size. That's how he saw the run. So yeah, I mean that's how I would look at it too, boss. If I got to come in get involved in the main event of WrestleMania eleven without having to do anything physically cut a promo, that's the spotlight of the whole angle. I would also get to lay out the top name in the company the next night on Raw and turn heel in the biggest angle of the year. Pretty much. I would then get to headline two consecutive pay per views for the WWF Championship in the main event, despite there being no apparent appetite for it, and be compensated to commensurate with that. Yeah, I would consider that the whipping post.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I mean, look, he doesn't get to do anything at all, right, you know, and he's basically just being told what a bitch he is and how was he going to get fucked with?
Speaker 8: And after a year of beating me down, he once said, I believe to r video, they know I had actually hurt my neck and I had to have surgery. So we're coming to another one of those crossroads for Big Sid. I mean, this is around the time they're programming him literally against Henry Godwin towards the end of the year, so they're really trying to see, you know, what his tolerance level is. I have to say, it seems like they're they're playing a bit of a game with the men. We talked about the in your houses, we talked about WrestleMania. Do you recall what role he was supposed to have at SummerSlam nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: He was supposed to face Shawn Michaels.
Speaker 8: Was it not said in black and white in the pages of WWF magazine that it was to be Sean versus Sid? I feel like it was sure was. Yeah, yes, it was, but as we know, what ends up being the Shawn Michaels raising Ramone to ladder match. Yes, and we'll get to some perspectives on why that was the case a little later. But if I was Sid and I had it gritted out for me that look, you're gonna turn on Sewn, You're gonna work Diesel for the championship, and then come SummerSlam you're gonna get to have the blowoff match with Sean.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny too, because like I remember being this pointed too, because I'm like, well, why isn't he facing Sean? Like why is he facing Razor? I moan again, I like, I I was very much into not necessarily you know, great matches, but I really it was important to me that storylines were resolved and the one that needed to be resolved and the one that honestly was like the the thing that was I was excited to see was Sewn and Sid, Like I wanted to see that play out and finish.
Speaker 8: It was really stupid that after what Sid did to him, that Sean Michaels came back and just chased the Intercontinental title instead of went made a bee line for Sid try to take a set off.
Speaker 3: They didn't even really pay it off until Survivor series.
Speaker 8: If you live in here, think of that, right, Seriously, they had to go back to it, but it made no sense that Sean wasn't going right after Sid. Yeah, it was really sad.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 8: It was a power play. It seemed like to me because there's no other reason that all the promotional gears are in motion for that match to happen other than and Sean pulls a card and wants to work with his buddy instead. Yeah, I wonder if that remark we just read from the magazine which is August ninety five, where Sid says Sean and Diesel can't draw crowds, and I can. I wonder if that was the thing that pissed them off or if it was Yeah, maybe Sid maybe being pissed off knowing that they're taking him out of the mix for as big time Summer Slam match and trying to smack at him. Interesting. Yeah, Sean gets involved in like the Jeff Jarrett program, the night Jeff Jarrett leaves, he wins the Icy Strap in that terrific match, and Sean comes back full fledged baby face with no interest at all, and he's it's not like he's going for the championship. He comes back and he's going for the Intercontinental Belt right which to me is just like a really cynical way to just come up with a reason to do that the second Razor match because he doesn't feel like doing the SID match which Sid versus Sean for the ICY title at SummerSlam ninety five, that's for the IC title. That just makes it bizarre to me.
Speaker 3: I mean it is, it is definitely, don't get me wrong, but still I'm like, that to me, is that's the match right there, That's what I want to see. Yep.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast with Jack and Carno and JP Soro.
Speaker 8: As far as why Diesel for the first comeback program for SID, Pritchard said in his podcast, because you had so much equity in SID and obviously Diesel and Sean, and that whole scenario when we were in many respects booking almost month to month at this point, because you didn't we had a whole Summer planned, he says, to get Sid, to get Sid and Diesel at SummerSlam for the first time. So Prichard says, the original plan was to finally have Sid and Diesel clash at SummerSlam. Now, as we know, Diesel versus Mabel headlining SummerSlam ninety five hardly seems like a plan a I have to say, al f but they did know as far out as King of the Ring in June where Mabel one that torn it into qualify for the belt, that that was the direction. So we have to figure it was between post WrestleMania and King of the Ring, So that's just like a two maybe a month and a half period there where they could have switched this up. But again, by the time we get closer to SummerSlam, it is to be a Sid and Sean. But to hear Bruce tell it, that was not to be the plan. From the moment Sid turned on Sewan. It wasn't like you do this and you guys will eventually face off at SummerSlam. That apparently was the Nash plan. I don't know if they wanted to get to Sid versus Sean before Sid versus Nash and have Sid run over Sean if so, it would make a lot of sense that Sean found a way to get that turned around. Yeah, right at the last minute, Prichard recalls, as they were talking about the mate time frame, Now we're here in May and we're doing it in your house. So it was rushed. But I think there was a little bit of relief that we did it at an in your house and not at a summer slam on a bigger platform, because they didn't gel. Their styles just clashed and it wasn't We're trying to make Diesel that big babyface champion. He says, they can slay all comers, and it didn't feel like that against another big bastard that looks like he could slay all comers. It was just a bad clash. I guess that's kind of it. I mean, they got in the ring together and it just didn't look like one could make the other look vulnerable at any given point. It's just like two titans just throwing power moves at each other, one after the other in succession, and it was just kind of it was kind of boring. It didn't right, I mean, that's right, that's just kind of what happened.
Speaker 3: It just was not. It didn't end up being nearly as exciting as you would hope.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they never really seem to do anything in the matches that are like, Okay, this is the design, this is where I'm supposed to care, this is where I'm supposed to lean in to want one guy to win more than the other guy. It was just like, who's going to power bomb the other first? Ye kind of like the perverse spectacle of whether they could actually get the other guy up without hurting themselves or each other. And Nash did get hurt. He busted his elbow in that match taking the power bomb, and remember he wanted a King of the Ring and the horrible tag team main event that year with that big ass brace around his elbow because he got hurt taking a power bomb from Sid. So it was all fucking disastrous, really mess, just a mess. So yeah, Pretcher reiterates it eventually was we were getting to Sid and Diesel, but we saw getting to it with Diesel and Sean. What happened was at WRESTLEMANI eleven. That's the infamous Vince coming into the car. This is a story that Bruce is told many times after WrestleMania. Heading into Wrestleman eleven, Vince coming into the car with Pat and I and Shane and saying, God, damn it. Am I the only one who sees that we have a baby face on our hands? And Shaan's getting cheered. Boss, you saw it and you heard it.
Speaker 3: God, he's such a goof and we completely reh doesn't understand what's going on. Oh God, what well? The only one that sits here and wonders why.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Vince, we all been hearing it. We're just waiting for the opportunity for you to be able to say it was your idea. Son.
Speaker 3: I want to say that we have opportunities in our hands. We have opportunities in our pants.
Speaker 8: God damn, is Sean not a great babyface.
Speaker 3: To execute possibility with transgression? Oh?
Speaker 8: Interesting? He sees an opportunity to execute possibility and transgression in the babyface turn of Sean. Michaels I do make of that what you will.
Speaker 3: I'm believe in things, and.
Speaker 8: Bruce says, we completely we wrote the entire summer upon you know, Vince saying that about seawns a babyface, or says, at least we wrote the next three weeks in the car as we went to Poughkeepsie to do television where this was shot, and Vince just thought we were battling an uphill battle trying to make Shawn a babyface, something that Pat and I, Bruce says, has been preaching and told never to bring up again. So apparently the story was that Pat and Bruce definitely saw Sean as a baby face in this time period before Vince would come around to it. Nope, wrong, didn't. I'm playing three D chess here, pal, you know I'm playing eight the things you don't think I noticed. I'm just trying to make sure you notice.
Speaker 3: All right. I'm just trying to make sure things get noticed by you right in a sensible fashion.
Speaker 8: And things is a wide, wide aperture, Pal in terms of what fits in there. So the easiest way to do it, Bruce says, was to get him away from Sid. And why not Let's make Sid, you know, the big nasty heel, and have him kill Sean, and that will make Sean a babyface. Diesel comes out for the rescue, and you immediately make that switch to Sid versus Diesel. But it was supposed to take longer, Bruce says it was supposed to take longer to get there, but Vince felt it was an uphill battle and it was going to hurt Diesel the more that he worked with Shawn Michael, so that's why it was rushed. So I think what he's saying is sid power bombing Sean. It was not supposed to be the night after WrestleMania, I see. I was supposed to play it off for a longer time period where Diesel and Shawn would continue to work together. But as Shawn indicates in his book, the way the WrestleMania match played out, Vince was much more minded towards getting Sean out of the picture, thinking that the crowd increasingly favoring him would only hurt Diesel. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it's kind of asked backwards. Its kind of like, yeah, exactly, events exactly, So let's make a change here, right right. It'd be like if he took Steve Austin off TV in nineteen ninety seven because fans started cheering him over Brett Hart.
Speaker 3: You know, they're cheering him a little bit more than they're chearing the Patriot, and that's just not where we're going right now. Power we're about patriotism right right, So I just don't I don't appreciate where we're going and why we're going there.
Speaker 8: As for said, he's always haid in interviews that he'd never had any issues with the Click. He told Hannibal, not at all, but he does remember the matches with Diesel being tough and not that good. He says that Diesel just did not have a lot of great psychology. I hate to say it, Sid said to Hannibal, but he's somebody who's got two left feet Diesel. So that's there you go. There just wasn't no, nothing was memorable about him. Sid says, Oh Jesus, oh my god, what if Nash heard he said that before he offered a such flattering commentary. Upon his passing, he's asked did you get along behind the scenes with him? And Sid says, oh, yeah, when we first started, we wrote together, so it wasn't that we didn't get along. It's just I don't know. I don't know if anybody's ever said that they had great matches with him. It's a fucking nog. I don't if anybody's ever said they've had great matches with Kevin Nash Well, I mean Sean and Brett did. Yeah, for sure, But that's kind of where the list ends. Unless I'm forgetting somebody. The Goldberg matches weren't bad for what they were. I will give him that. Yeah, he rose to the occasion on those that would have been when he was in w CW, when he started. Okay, yeah, so they go back to when were writing together. As for the corporation, what does Teddy Byassi think being in this position of managing Sid, a guy who is not supposed to need a manager, right, I mean, he's talking his ass off. Here's Teddy Byassi in his book. Vince eventually took me out of the announcing booth. Remember ted was doing commentary too. He told me that he wanted me exclusively as a manager. Vince wanted me on the road full time to manage Sid Vicious. I served as his advisor and mentor. I was to groom Sid and teach him about the business and how to work in the business. After all these years, all the money this guy's made, we still need someone to teach Sid how to be in the business. In other words, how to countenance the fact.
Speaker 3: That we really need we need to teach him out to work WW style. You know this isn't your southern wrestling, right.
Speaker 8: What we need to do, as far as I can tell, we need to get him to accept the fact that we can't necessarily afford to pay you consistently every time and shut the fuck up about it.
Speaker 3: That's what we want to say is I'm not going to pay you to me you can wrestle.
Speaker 8: See, we do things differently here, Palin. I know that you were rocketed to the moon before you really got a chance to learn the business. But let me tell you, coming in here and expecting these guarantee three hundred and fifty thousand dollars years, it's just not how the business works. That's that's not the incentive structure that's going to make you all you can be. In other words, I don't have the money.
Speaker 3: In other words, I don't have the compensation at the ready to offer you the things that you're requiring.
Speaker 8: I don't have compensation at the ready. You know it's money, and I'm pretty sure that's why you said it. I was to groom sit and teach them about the business and how to work in the business. SID had come into the word Wrestling Federation. After an incident that had happened overseas World Championship Wrestling, he and Arn Anderson got in an altercation at their hotel in England. Had led to a fight ended up with Sid stabbing On in the back with a pair of cuticle scissors. I never heard I've never heard someone say they were cuticle scissors like that as opposed to just scissors. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Well, I believe that they The expert uh transition was on the cuticle nature of the.
Speaker 8: Did you see the expert transition?
Speaker 3: I said things that most people don't say.
Speaker 8: Arn, were they cuticle scissors? After all was said and down, Arn ended up with more than twenty stab wounds. The company fired Sid. When Vince told me this, I didn't want to do it. The reason was because of my friendship with Arn. I pulled Bruce Pritchrick to the side and told him, so, Vince wants me to go on the road and babysit this big and strong yet raw guy who stabbed one of my best friends Arn in the back. Bruce simply replied, yes, Tad, it's Vince.
Speaker 2: I know you.
Speaker 8: I know you and Arn are really tight, gone back many years. I get a great deal respect for arn as you know, but I want you to know that it's hurt. As soon as I heard he got stabbed almost to death by Sid, I thought, wouldn't it be funny if I made you manage him? You know, that's a man from be that's correct, rough with good start.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to throw something by you to see if you right at any thoughts and on on the on the situation here. But I know you're, I know you're. I really wanted to just call and see how you're doing in regards to him. You know, you your I know that your longtime acquaintances and h whatnot with Arne.
Speaker 8: I talked to him last week and he's he's doing okay, Vince, but that I'm really worried about him, and I'm actually I'm furious that this happened to the guy.
Speaker 3: I understand, and I can understand that you'd also be furious with the man who did it. The absolutely the aggressor. Right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was never a big fan of his, as you know. You put me in the ring with him for his very first match here, and I just I did all I could with the guy, But I never felt like he was someone that had his head right about this business.
Speaker 3: You know, And I want to say that that.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm just really glad he's not here.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, and you know what, I want to say that as as the one who did that, I want to say that I apologize. You know, we're all human beings.
Speaker 8: We all make Oh that's fine minutes. So that's water under the bridge. That's not your problem.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. What I want to do, and actually why i'm calling is because I want to actually rectify that whole situation.
Speaker 8: Oh that's kind of you, but I don't think that's necessary. We've all moved on.
Speaker 3: And I do believe that.
Speaker 11: You know that.
Speaker 3: I believe in karma. I believe in good things for people.
Speaker 8: Me too, I do too. And what I wanted to do and the Good Lord does too, the good Lord does too.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know the Good Lord. The Good Lord is the Good Lord Alfred Hayes. And what I wanted to do was just offer you the opportunity here, and I think this could be an excellent chance to vindicate not only myself but yourself from the the matters at hand.
Speaker 11: And.
Speaker 8: Vidicate myself. He offers ted A chands to vindicate himself, Vince's self. It's like it's like, wait a minute, what what is this from the matters at hand?
Speaker 3: And well, see, you know the way that I feel like the best, you know, the best way that someone can move on from a situation, I think is through humor, right, And in that regard, I want you to humor me, because well there's no easy way to say this except just say it.
Speaker 8: And you fire me, are you, Vince? You're not going to fire me.
Speaker 3: I've listened.
Speaker 8: My marriage is on the ropes. I can't stop cheating.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen, neither can I. I'm with you, all right, I get it. I can't even in.
Speaker 8: Fact, fact, just last past week exactly, in fact, just last night last.
Speaker 3: Night, I had about eighteen in my room Whend was sleeping, and I fucked eighteen women. We're talking hardcore, all right, hardcore? Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, full on rectal penetration, if you know what I mean. But what I want to do is offer us redemption. And I think the only way we can be redeemed is to go and face our fears and our past eye to eye. And I want you to face sid eyed eye.
Speaker 8: Oh, come on, No, you can't be serious.
Speaker 3: You're going to manage Sid and you're going to take him on the road with you. What.
Speaker 8: I don't want to be in the same zip code as this guy. Why this is happening, because I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: You need excuse me, you need it. You need to understand that if you don't take Sid, I'm gonna stab you. You think what happened to him is bad? Pal, You think what happened to Arna Anderson, your good friend is is is is bad? Wait till I get a knife and take you down.
Speaker 8: He didn't even do anything, and he is threatening him in the most like unequivocal way. Within seconds, I.
Speaker 3: Will I will take the blade from one end of your torso to the other, and I will drink the blood of God.
Speaker 8: God just direct threats, like instant threats to get the guy to do it. He wants it. And Ted, I know I said I did it for you and because it's the best for you, and I meant that wholeheartedly. But I also want you to know Ted that I'm putting you with Sid because I thought it would be funny.
Speaker 3: Put you with Sid, because you know what, I laugh at shit like that because I think that's funny. I think it's funny watching.
Speaker 8: You suffer, watching you have to manage the guy who almost kills your friends.
Speaker 3: I want you every fucking time that you're with Sid, I want you to think that this is the guy that stabbed my friend. Yes, and when you do that, think of me laughing my ass off, exactly, laughing as hard as I fucking can beget out you. You, my friends are suffering.
Speaker 8: And you know what's funniest about it, pal, It's not so much that you're forced to be in this situation with someone that you can't stand. What's the best part of it all is I can force you to do it. That I that, at the end of the day, I have the power to make you befriend someone who almost murdered a good, lifelong friend of yours.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 8: I have the power to make you pretend that you actually get along with him and he's not such a bad you know how satisfying to.
Speaker 3: Get you to do something that makes you feel like absolute shit. Said, you know, mister DIBIASI no ted the million dollar man. Huh you gotta shake hands day a seat, not tad. You don't have anycissors on you do you let's cut right, Pal, just cut to the chase. Why don't we you know, let's just.
Speaker 8: Let's let's take a few stabs at this thing and see what we can't figure out.
Speaker 3: I'd like to dive right into the wound.
Speaker 8: Let's not leave too much on the cutting room floor.
Speaker 2: Pal lapsed fan Wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: He's lapsed fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP.
Speaker 3: Soo, let's not take scissors and stab each other with them, all right?
Speaker 8: While we're doing metaphors now said, Uh, we're taking a we're taking a leap of faith bringing you back. As I think mister DIBIASI can attest, and we've spent some time talking about and I don't think mister Debiassi or myself can get really full comfort with your presence in our locker room and in our organization once again, without some you know, straightforward proof that you're able to contain your darkest urges and then at times of temptation, that you won't give in to things that can harm yourself others in the company. So what I'm gonna do, sit is I'm gonna slide this pair of scissors across the desk.
Speaker 3: I just want to you know, I want so what I want you to do is I'm gonna slide these across your desk, All right, Ted, you sit the fuck down.
Speaker 8: Ted trying to get out of there. Ted's trying to get the fuck out of there.
Speaker 3: I will fucking kill you right now.
Speaker 8: You can't believe how dark this is getting said.
Speaker 3: I want you to listen, Tad.
Speaker 8: You see this. You see this button on my desk when I press it, listen to the door lock.
Speaker 3: And Ted, do you see that my other hand is underneath the table. Yeah, you know why that is no exactly.
Speaker 8: I got the matt lower.
Speaker 3: That's gonna fucking make you scream like a bitch if you even get up out of that chair. Sit down, and shut the fuck up.
Speaker 8: Back to the lesson at hand, said, what do I want you to do?
Speaker 3: I want you to look. I'm sliding these extremely sharp metallic scissors across my table to you.
Speaker 8: Look at them. Look at them, shine glimmer in fact in the lamplight.
Speaker 3: Grab them, hold them in the palm of your hand, Squeeze your fist around the scissor. I want you to lift it up in the air. All right. I want you to then take the sharp end and hold it in a stabbing fashion, all right, And I want you to turn the point at Ted, turn it at Ted, wind up, and the test is here. Will you stab him or.
Speaker 8: His looks at him?
Speaker 3: If you feel the need to thrust, you do it. But if you don't, don't do it and stay right, and we'll be glad to have you back. We'll and we'll then you know, I'm giving you the count I'm giving you. I'll tell you what I'm gonna give you. Fifteen minutes to hold those blades over your head, and you in fifteen minutes, Ted, sit down.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna leave the office.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna leave the I'm gonna this is gonna give you complete privacy. I don't want a word to be said.
Speaker 8: He leaves Ted alone locked in an office with Sid holding a huge pair of scissors lifted above his head. Just to see if they can, you know, coexist stab him? Said it needy to prove to me that you won't stab somebody.
Speaker 3: I need I need to believe, all right. I need to believe that you will do the best possible, make the best choice in a terrible situation.
Speaker 8: It's amazing and perhaps apropos of that DEBIASI goes on to write, I came to find out that Sid was a decent guy. He wasn't a good technical wrestler, but he had a chiseled body, conducted great interviews, and had respect for the business. He was a legitimate six ' nine and was very intimidating.
Speaker 3: What's an illegitimate.
Speaker 8: Lifts in your boobs or being announced to six ' nine when you're not okay?
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 8: He listened to me and worked very hard to improve in the ring. He eventually became a two time World Wresting Federation Everyweight champion. Well managing Sid, I traveled all over the States and even a couple of times to Europe. I really didn't want to be what is he fucking George Bailey? Maybe a couple of times a year?
Speaker 3: Oh, George, you want to take a grip of year if you do a couple of business meetings here and there around the.
Speaker 8: Oh you stupid. If someone's boat, who's coming?
Speaker 28: If you are a salary of five thousand dollars a year, God, propose that to Sid. To see what happens? Potter negotiating with Sid.
Speaker 3: Yes, I, Oh, I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm going to offer you a whopping salary of five thousand dollars a year. Yes the fuck are you're talking about five thousand dollars? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: It's very It's it's more than you can possibly imagine. You like, Oh, you like cigars, you want to travel roma globe, dig business trips. I'm gonna fucking kill you.
Speaker 8: He so mad. He offers Sid a whopping five thousand. He offers vade or a whopper of five thousand, five thousand whoppers. Have it your way, well, managing Sid. I traveled all over the States and even a couple of times to you. I really didn't want to be on the road. It pulled me away from my family because of my commitment to the company and the fact that I needed the money.
Speaker 3: There it is, I think I know.
Speaker 8: Which of the two is the truth. There I sucked it up and one on the road. I thought of myself that everything would eventually work out in my days in the road would soon decrease.
Speaker 3: Well, not quite.
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 8: They're working with Sid. They're trying to make him somebody that fits the mold of what they want out of someone in his position on the card, not building the whole enterprise around him and his particular needs, his particular fits of immaturity, one might say. And part of work. Part of that work is getting him to be a better extemporaneous speaker on promos, because while we have been impressed with some of his work, it is kind of short, burst in nature.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: Yes, you can't really picture Sid, you know, telling much of a story on a promo beyond just like you know, issuing threats and saying it's simple. It's real simple simple, that's ample simple. It's simple, And that's the problem, Sid. It's always simple, and sometimes it calls from something more than that. And I think Cornett, who would work with talent producing interviews at the time, uh put it put it well when discussing Sit on his podcast, Oh pardon me, rong one.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 7: He know he was a perfect promo except if he had to go too long or explain One of the guys, there's a lot of guys like this. If they have to go too long or explain too much detail, it robs them of their intensity because they get lost or they just get hesitant, as I just was, and that's why if you have the little manager to fill in the details and do the fucking bridges amongst this monster having short, violent verbal outbursts like he could do tremendous that's your key there. But one time again, on one of the promos, it didn't even matter, like you said, whether it made sense, because it sounded so real that he was saying it. He actually he did a promo and I can't remember what it was, but some way or another he told the people in some twisted syntax that he was half as smart and half as as big as his opponent or whatever.
Speaker 3: In WW it cost Scott Hall to start laughing at him in the middle of the ring.
Speaker 7: Yes, but you know, but again it's fucking sid and everybody thought he was goofy and out of his mind, and because the party was goofy and out of his mind.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, he levered that to the hill. I don't know if he knew he was leveraging that when he tried to speak on promos, but it worked for him when he didn't make any sense because his character was somebody who was basically speaking in tongues because he was so fucked up in the head and it really played to his strength as time went. But the kind of thing I think Cornett is talking about is well epitomized in the Peak nineteen ninety five SYD clip. And we know what this is. This is an in your house pre show where he's in the locker room, Jim Ross holding the mic and they're alive. They are live on this pre show and Sid does not know this. This the Sid that claims to not even know WrestleMania eight was going to be a big deal until he showed up at the building. Thought it was just kind of another run of the mill night. Also didn't know that the movie from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho was playing when he came to the rim. We all know that this is what happens when Sid is in a in circumstances beyond his control.
Speaker 20: People say that your desire to control the WWF championship is more lack an obsession. Are you obsessed with obtaining the WWF title?
Speaker 11: You might say that, Jim Ross, you might say that I am obsessed with gaining the World Wrestling Centory.
Speaker 18: Yes.
Speaker 3: First, you see, by winning the title and bringing it to the corporation, it gives me a tremendous amount of leverage within the World Wrestling Federation. As you know, I always like to have the upper hand. And as far as me not being able to have bought the title, when this man walks in that ring to night and walks out with that belt, I will have in fact bought the title because he works for me.
Speaker 4: Sim I've got a question for you.
Speaker 20: We all know that you can bring the heavy offense, but there are a lot of skeptics that think that perhaps you can't take it, that you can't take the punishment that Lisa will give you tonight.
Speaker 2: How do you address those skeptics.
Speaker 29: Well, the skeptics and all the people have a little bit.
Speaker 3: Let me do this again.
Speaker 13: Oh it's live how sorry, anybody has any doubt we'll get their for tonight?
Speaker 20: Well there he here at a man a p words Cicho sand back to Utah, A.
Speaker 3: Few words as possible.
Speaker 8: Please let me do this again. It's a live out.
Speaker 3: It's so fucking like who told him?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 3: Didn't No one told them that they were live Like hello, I.
Speaker 8: Know I kind of think that that should be something that is very apparent to the talent when they start speaking into a microphone because here's the thing. Even if you're at the show and they're interviewing you, it still could be put in the can an air rider. You don't necessarily know that the whole world is watching. Well, why does it have to be live? Exactly right, especially if they have the hang ups they say they do about Sid speaking, But that's that's that's evidence right there of what Cornett's talking about, and debase that he's standing there to deliver, like, you know, the general message about the WWF title H and why it's important to him in the corporation and then Sid can't even get that one line out right. And it wasn't even an outburst. He wasn't even screaming. He's just trying to speak. Do you remember him during Corporation? He didn't really scream that much. He wasn't playing that killer. He was kind of just like I know he was.
Speaker 3: I mean, they definitely played up the you know, psycho aspect of it. Yeah for sure, Yeah, that he was.
Speaker 8: He was kind of just like saying cryptic things, but he wasn't like threatening bodily harm every second he opened his mouth. And yes, that was the that was what Ted was doing. They were a great talker in his own right, and somebody that apparently the wwfsaw is able to make those bridges and get across the messages that that Sid couldn't. I mean, I thought he was just fine, and I thought we've heard some clips of him doing well. But I think as far as like I'm coming for the belt, it's going to be on July twenty first, you know it's going to be in Montreal. Like Sid wasn't going to hit those He just wasn't no exactly, and you know his way and his way is effective, but that's not always what the doctor ordered for sure in any given moment. So here's Sean Michael's version of what ended up happening at SummerSlam. As opposed to wrestling Sid for the Intercontinental title. SummerSlam was now upon us, and the creative team decided that Scott and I should do another ladder match creative team, and there was a creative team for sure, absolutely nineteen. Ask me how I felt about it. I know we can put on a good show, but it's for how I feel about it. I don't like it. Sir Sean in his own books, and he didn't like the idea of wrestling Scott Hall at SummerSlam. Scott and I both believed it was a no win situation. We had already done a ladder match and we knew we couldn't top it. To me, it was a I want to kick out strong on one all over again. We didn't make a huge deal about it though. It was one of those things if you want it, I'll give it to you and I'll make it the best I can. This is your show. I don't like it, but it's up to you. That sounds like a wrestler who knows who actually was his idea exactly trying to uh and knows that it's politically sensitive if if it's accepted that he pushed for that put it in somebody else's mind and mouth as well. So it's during the run against Diesel for the WIF Championship. Of course, it's not just the in your house matches, but they're working all around the horn at that time, house shows and the like that Sid suffers yet another injury that portends yet another abrupt departure from a major company. That that's kind of another example. I think of how how challenging it was for Vince and to some degree WCW to fit Sid into the hole of like you're gonna be a world champion. You know, you're gonna be the next toe you get Hogan's spot, or we're putting you over Vader and you're gonna have a run like Sid is not a guy that's gonna win your belt and then go on the house shows, you know what I mean. It's just, yeah, it's not what people want out of Sid. You put the strap on Andre in like eighty eighty six and Andre versus every heel is in every town across the United States, three hundred days a year. It's just not what he's there for. And for some reason, they just always especially Vince, was always insistent on trying to fit Sid into that modus operandi, trying to fit Sid into like somebody who's on the road all the time, just like the rest of the cast of characters as opposed.
Speaker 3: Weird. It's so weird that he always felt the need to like, I don't know, like just like I mean to me, it's it's it's cheap to just say he always like, you know, he had a had a hard on for the for the big men, which I know he did, but it's like Sid's different, like much different, And it's very odd that you know, because again you can't really you can't think of him that in that way. He's just he's not a guy who carries anything.
Speaker 11: He just not.
Speaker 8: He doesn't have the depth as a performer as an athlete to keep people engaged for months and months and months in all the different towns and against all different manner of opponents. He's somebody that like will give you a quick burst of intensity and a quick thing of like, holy shit, I never considered this guy against Sid, just like you said about Lex Luger, but to see him as part of like the traveling troop twelve months a year. Eventually he's going to be lost in that shuffle, or at least his appeal what makes him marketable, is going to get really diluted in that structure. And yeah, pretty soon you end up with Sid wrestling Henry Godwin.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 8: Because he's just not somebody that is a dynamic enough performer to stay on the top of the card for a long time. He's got to disappear. He's got to be somebody, like we've said, who emerges to challenge, like the way they booked him in ww's disastrous as his WW run was because the company was a disaster. The way they worked him against Goldberg made a lot of sense. You know, you got a Goldberg who's taking everyone out, and in the mind starts going like, okay, who beyond the WCW roster could challenge this guy, It's said, is perfect to show up because he's seeing this guy run a monk and he's here to prove that you know, I'm the original destroyer. But after that's over, it's not like, Okay, now Sid's going to move on to work with somebody else. It's like, no, we we only perceived him as being here to achieve one goal, one mission, and he's enough of a mad man that when that mission is over, be it Seawn Michaels bit whatever. He's coming back for Goldberg. He's going to disappear again. You know, he's not just going to like, Okay, now I'm in the rankings and I'm going to compete for the championship. It's it's it's a it's a page. He has a hard time turning. And to your point about the Shawn Sid match at Survivorshi's ninety six being the final blowoff of this early nineteen ninety five angle we just played. That's the thing. If somebody else was the champion at the time in November nineteenety six, beside Shawn Michaels, Sid wouldn't have found himself in the Minivent Challenge for the Strip. It wasn't like his time to get a run with the strap because he's been climbing the rankings and the fans have been clamoring. No one was clamoring see Sid whin the belt until they realized that it could be the Sid Shawn match, and it could be a passing, it could be a passing of the moment of this this genreun that a lot of people had kind of gotten tired of by the end of nineteen ninety six. So yeah, that's that's a that's interesting. Nonetheless, he's out there on the road working diesel every night, trying to make it work, and they're having cage matches as well to try to add some spice to things. And here's said on a shoot interview describing what happened one night, well.
Speaker 12: Actually where it happened, was it happened earlier months before?
Speaker 11: It was an Indianapolis I think or Chicago was an Indianapolis. It was in a cage match and Kevin hit me from behind on the head man. I heard a pop, and that's what I would completely numb all the way down. I couldn't get off the map, and it's just, you know, I didn't know what it was, and just kept getting worse and worse and worse. And then I remember I was in Albandy and me and Bob was working Bob Polly were working out, and I couldn't curl my left home would would come out, and that really scared me. And then I tried something else and it wouldn't do up, and I knew something was wrong, and so then I went home and I went to one of the head medical clinics in the country, and one of the top guys look at it.
Speaker 12: He said maybe.
Speaker 11: He says, you can never rascal me, you know, and anybody in the second doctor and the second Payton as the maybe guess come on fust to Patslan. Then it's a wrestle again. So I called fans are called j J said, I'm true Kate wrestling.
Speaker 8: Wow, what do you reckon? That was probably late ninety five, right, yeah, yeah, because he shows up at Survivor Series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's at Survivor Series. He does the uh, he does the uh. That's the wild card tag match. Mm hmm.
Speaker 8: Right, right, and what does he do there?
Speaker 3: He teams with Sean Right. So right teams with Sean Right. Because it was like it was like enemies on the same side. It was like it was him, Sean, Ahmed Johnson and Bulldog I think, m hm against I don't remember who. I know one of them was. I know Scott Hall was on the other side. Here hold on, Seawn Michaels, I'm gonna go. Yeah, and then Yokozuna, Owen Hart, Razor Ramon and Dean Douglas on the other side.
Speaker 8: And that's the last pay per view appearance of this run that he fix.
Speaker 3: Sure, I don't think he was at No, he's not at well, No, he's at in your house. He does in your house. It's time, it's time, it's in your house. It's whatever it is.
Speaker 8: Seasons, beatings, seasons, beatings, seasons, beatings.
Speaker 3: Yes, in the opening tag match, Razor and Marty versus the one two three kids in Psycho Sid and then he's then it's going and I know he's on the Royal Rumble that's going places.
Speaker 1: The Last fand wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno JP SOO.
Speaker 8: The reason I ask all that is because I'm not sure I mean this match he's talking about where he gets popped in the back of the head by diesel. If it's in Indianapolis, he's got the wrong city, because I see on history of WW three shows in Indianapolis and nine ninety five, and on none of them does Diesel work Sid. I see Sid working through December of that year with it You with Jeannetti and a Razor and Company. But I don't see him working diesel anywhere near the tail end. So this career ending injury that apparently suffers during the course of this diesel match does still allow him to work for months and months and months on the House show. On the House House Show circuit, he kind of couches it as something that like he that happened to him, but he doesn't get it looked at until much later when it when it gets aggravated, or probably more accurately, when he gets aggravated. He hasn't looked at a little more closely, perhaps, but yeah, this apparently happens against Diesel on a house show. And I'm trying to tall go back to when the last time these two would have met in a house show, and I'm all the way back in October, and he's still not wrestling h He's still not wrestling Diesel anymore. Sid and Razors as far back as what is this October? The Henry Godwin programs to show up here a little bit. Bam Bam. He wrestled a lot in ninety five. He had great respect for Bam Bam Bigelow. Interestingly, when he was asked who some of the best guys that I worked with were, he always said Bam Bam.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he just thought Bam Bam was. It was really terrific in the ring, working Razor a lot. We're now in September, still not working. So this is Razor beats Sean at WrestleMania, right, Razor beat does Sewn win the second match at Summers win Sean win the second ladder match? Yeah he does. Okay, So Razor then comes back and works Sid, probably because Shawn was supposed to work SID, but because Sean wins Uh Sean Versid in September in Quebec, heres Sean Versid in September in Montreal as Intercontinental Champs. So they did have a run on the house show circut together after summer Slanmwich, I don't think I really knew that interesting Vega. He's working Savio Vega. That's got to piss him off. He's working Brett. See, I don't see him working Diesel.
Speaker 3: I mean after after July ninety five, why would he?
Speaker 8: Well, sometimes you know, just because it's a house show, because the pay per view main events get like kind of recycled for much longer on the house shows than they are active issues on TV, would be my guest. But he got bumped down to Razor much earlier than I remember. Diesel, and Michael's beating irs subbing for Sin and Tatanka. We're almost there. A lot of subbing for SID in July. So maybe maybe he got her around there and took some took some matches off. I guess that would be okay. Steel Cage, Louisville, July twenty fourth, nineteen ninety five, forty attendance Diesel pins sid with DiBiase in a steel cage. I'm gonna say it's that one Louisville, not Indianapolis, coming off the second in your house, which had been in Nashville the night before. And then they rematched.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: So here's that pop in his neck. And eventually you know he's as he said. You know he's in the gym. He's lifting weights with Bob Holly and notices he can't can't lift the weight like he usually does, and Bob Holly, what about it? Bob. Right in the middle of it all was Sean. He was the ringleader. He dictated everything that was going on. He'd go out partying every night, drinking, taking drugs, getting in fights. He'd show up the next day hungover as hell, but still work like crazy. He never screwed anything up. Whatever mind said he was in, he still went out there and put on the best match of the night. He was a machine. Not a great ambassador for the company though, and not a great influence backstage. The clique just kept on fucking with people and wanting to work only with each other, hugging all the money. Anybody who looked like he could get over and make some money was put in his place. The prime example of that was Sid Beauty. Kevin and Sean didn't like him. Sid is misunderstood. He's very humorous in a sarcastic way, and people take it wrong. He was always very good to me.
Speaker 3: That makes him look like an idiot right in the way that makes us laugh out of him, exactly like Bob.
Speaker 8: When we traveled together. He knew I wasn't making a lot, so he paid for our rental car, the hotel, a lot of my meals. I wouldn't have made it without him. I owe him a lot. I think I helped him out a lot too by keeping him insane. Sid wasn't a good worker, but he cut a great promo and he had a great look. He was over huged, so of course Vince was going to use him a draw. I guess. Kevin and Sean didn't like the thought of someone else getting a piece of the action, so they stepped in. Nash especially felt threatened by him because they were both big men, but Sid was over and Nash just hadn't worked out as champion. They butted heads a lot when they were going over matches. Sid was set in his ways and wasn't about to back down to anybody. He wouldn't let upper management toward the other boys, push him around or abuse his character. After the click push Sid out of the main event picture, they kept sticking it to him. I guess to prove a point or something. In January next ninety six, they pushed it too far. He and I traveled to the arena together. Sid came up to me. A while after we'd arrived and said, how do you want to beat me? You're fucking with me, right, I replied no. He said, we're wrestling tonight and they want you over. I asked him if he was mad at me. Fuck no, he said, it's them, They're fucking with me. Fuck this place. I'm done after tonight. I wasn't offered. I wasn't offended that he was mad at having to lose to me. It was an insult to him. Here you have me, who loses to everyone all the time, and there you have Sid, this big monster, and you had to put me over clean. I was very uncomfortable. He was pitching an absolute fit backstage and I was caught in the middle of it. We did the match and it was fine. I won with a crossbody off the top or something like that. The whole time we were out there, though. I felt so bad for him. It wasn't right what Kevin and Sean were doing to him. But what could I do. I did what I was told, or I found another job. It was as simple as that. Afterwards, Sid came backstage and was selling that he got injured. He said he hurt his neck. He was yes, he was lying about that, since since we had been traveling together, I knew the truth. He just didn't want to deal with all the politics anymore, so he left. Long before rustle Mania that year. Sid was gone so much of that neck injury poutraw Man. Does I'm here to say I believe Bob Holly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I almost always believe Bob everybody.
Speaker 3: I I agree with Bob Holly on this one.
Speaker 8: Do you think Sid was playing up the symptoms because he was so sick of being Yeah, I mean losing to Bob Holly with all due respect, but you know, Holly ended up fitting into that Bruno position where it's like Sid will make very good friends with you if you can be someone that can get him around the towns and be his shoulder to not so much cry on, but be someone to be a sounding board for his bitch vests. I mean, just think of the way like he he ordered around Bruno there at the end of that first WWF frunt. It's like a gopher times twelve, like note you're quitting to we're going to the airport, you're leaving. This is the end of the road for you. And Bob became somebody else that Sid kind of went around with, and yeah, you know, showed some some kindness to not unlike you know, Harlem Heat, but it was kind of a it was kind of a loose alliance and a necessary I think probably like a necessary friendship for the road, A relationship of convenience, is really what I'm trying to say. But even though Sid has been cut loose here from the World Wrestling Federation at the end of nineteen ninety five into the beginning of nineteen ninety six, it doesn't as to hear Sid put it okay, that doesn't necessarily mean the checks stop flowing, Boss. This is one of the bigger doozies you'll hear from Sid as we describe his life in times. Just give me a moment here and we'll we'll soon be telling you from a Sean Muoney interview how he managed to somehow keep the checks flowing without even showing up.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 10: Well, no, this this is what I'm saying. Sean, You're not understanding. And WWF you were you rely everything on how Showgate. But even then, Sean, when you were gone, WWS could not pay the boys. How the boys got paid were they was going the road to take a draw and then they take that money home and put it in their bank accounts where they could get back on the road the next tour. I never knew it. I mean you you might not get a check for a three, four or five weeks at WWS at the time. So when that happened, I told JJ Dillon, I said, this is the deal, and they knew that I was serious. I said, if I don't get at least one thousand dollars a week, I'm not coming back on the road. So they did that. So then when I took that time off of my next thing, you know, Payroad forgot someone didn't tell Payrod to start paying me for a year. This is me a thousand dollars a week. Now I've got a job, you know, making about same. So I was living a really good lifestyle. So I'm sitting there at me and my wife's go to this it's called Bloomfest in Greenville, Mississippi, where it's all farmers and stuff like that. And that's again here it is. It's great for me because I was a farmer one time, said I'm going back to my childhood stuff. So all of a sudden, I get home that Saturday and the housekeeper says, man, some kind of invincive. Man's called at least fifty times today. Oh my god, I'm thinking he's.
Speaker 15: He wants his running back.
Speaker 10: I really thought that, right, So I said, whatever it is, don't answer the phone. So this is before colorad D Right, So I'm talking to somebody in the phone beeps and I'm thinking, you know, I don't know what I was fucking thinking. So I hit it in his fence. He goes said, oh shit, yeah, Advance, how's it going, buddy? He goes, well, listen, look, I've got a problem. I had to fillow the warror again and I need someone to take his place. And I think the first show was Detroit or something, and Boston was Baltimore. He said, I got somebody take the place. I said, this. I hadn't been on TD for a year. Tinki, think of someone else. He goes, no, sit, I need star power. There I'm thinking, well, I was on the whipping post before that. You know, surely got somebody has more star power than me. He goes, no, I need you. And literally what I had to do is grab my stuff. They picked me up at the airport and I got dressed on the way to the arena. Okay, I'll think he'll say, this is it. I want to hear any more serious. I said, if I don't get at least a thousand dollars a week, I'm not coming back on the road. So they did that. So then when I took that time off of my neck thing, you know, payroad forgot someone didn't tell Pyro to start paying me. So for a year, this is me a thousand dollars a week. Now I've got a job, you know, making about the same. So I was living a really good lifestyle.
Speaker 8: So he's just getting my money. He jumped way ahead to the warrior thing and then it restarted kind of state.
Speaker 3: It's very confusing, but okay, all right, he's getting He says he had a thousand dollars a week they forgot.
Speaker 8: He said that they basically agreed to pay him guaranteed. You know, he's saying there, like I'm not going to come back unless I actually can know how much I get my bank account, not this bullshit of like I get the draw on the road and so I can kind of cobble together a regular income by you know, going up to the agent at the house show and you know, putting my hands together. So yes, sir, can I please have my money in advance instead of when you pay me quarterly or whatever the cadence was. So to him, it's sort of like a regular check he's getting, and it sounds like it's a kind of a special deal he worked out with. Of course, he mentioned JJ Dillon, who before Jim Ross was head of talent relations there. And so the way he's telling it is that they, even though he stopped going to the shows and their four pros contract, should not be getting paid because you get paid on the house. They keep sending him those one thousand dollars checks because he had this this special dispensation that they apparently didn't know to stop. So who knows he's getting. He's getting all kinds of money he's not saying a word about it, despite is he referenced there? Moving on, and we'll talk about what he moved on to in just a second, to a different job after stepping away due to this career ending neck injury that he continued to wrestle on and was more than ready to come back for the next summer. So this is this is what it means to be SID. So what does he do?
Speaker 3: What does he do?
Speaker 23: What?
Speaker 8: It's time for the next chapter. I mean, you've got two doctors, boss telling you you should never wrestle again. Okay, no, No, that would be in nineteen ninety nine. Now this would be custom Chemisine, custom chemicine.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 8: He's a farm boy. He knows what it takes to keep crops protected and preserved. He's got the Mississippi Alabama Corridor, the Arkansas Corridor unlock. Sid leaves the WWF in nineteen ninety five on the aforementioned neck problems and goes to work as a salesperson for a company that sells shit you put on plants so that i'd spoil. He is an ag rep AGG being short for Agriculture rep out of Fresno, California. The company was called Custom Chemicides, and he was the rep for the whole state of Mississippi and Alabama making good money. To hear him tell it, he had to take some classes. He went out to California to take those classes and got into the whole business. And he had a background because he farmed a long time before he ever got into a professional wrestling, so he had some knowledge to work off of. And he gets into the chemical treating business and he got, as he put it, a real job doing that for what six seven eight months? And if you want to know about Custom Chemisicides, boss as, I'm sure the Solar system does. What is this company that Sid goes to work for in between WWF runs when he's pretending that his life is in a series of going back to wrestlings. Let's read a quick letter to almond growers that was published in the California newspaper right around the time that Sid would have been knocking on their door for a job interview. This is authored by Don Kemer, who's listed as the president of the firm Custom Chemicides. And this is just a little example of the public facing material. And we'll have more for you that Custom Chemicides was putting.
Speaker 3: The radio and TV ads can go a long way toward making the public aware of a product. But if you are like I am, the experience of a friend or neighbor is important and it will usually make a difference to me. For nearly ten years now, I have been applying Beeline to our almond orchards during bloom. I'm convinced this has helped maintain the bees in the target area for a longer period, and it has contributed to our consistently good heels. Tell us at our office if you'd like to know more about bee Line, B Line.
Speaker 8: B Line, Well sid is making a beeline for a new industry, a new specialty. As far as I could tell, the big innovation that Custom Chemicides around this time in the mid nineties was bringing to market and was probably on a hiring spree to propagate, was a product they created, not called Beeline, but called frost Guard. And what frost Guard would do is fight the frost that comes in the colder months that can destroy crops, keep the frost at bay so that you can much greater a model product. Here's an article that appeared featuring Jeff Kemmer from Custom chemicide to the guy who who hired Sid ba real ice nucleation inhibitors and activate the ice nucleus associated with ice nucleation active bacteria without necessarily killing bacterial cells, necessarily killing them, sometimes killing them. This process is like putting the bad bacteria in a state of suspended animation so they do not perform the ice formation function. Kemera's firm markets frost Guard, a frost inhibitor mentioned in the third category, under the name custom Chemicides. The product was developed locally by chemist Evor Burden, who sold Custom Chemicides and the chemical to Kimmer in nineteen eighty three. They expect to get their patent from the US government within the week. This is not what's that happened? This is not a magic juice, said Kemera. Well, it's not interested anymore juice.
Speaker 3: Well Sid, oh, Sid, what's your juice?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 8: It's all Hogan, brother, all gizzy. I heard you're working on anti frost.
Speaker 22: Brother.
Speaker 8: I always knew you were a heat magnet, dude, but this is.
Speaker 3: Taking a little too far.
Speaker 26: Brother.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 5: Dude?
Speaker 8: You're gonna fight the frost and my oranges? Dude to my grove that I got down here on this eighth fy twelve, brother, and these bag glides? Dude, did you you're gonna fight Frost?
Speaker 11: Brother?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna fight?
Speaker 8: I don't know, Hulk cloaging, Wait a minute, when you I just got a few questions about this business. You're in business, brother, We worked together for years and you you read SID has done no outreach.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 8: There's no reason that Hulk should think Sid going into the private sector. Let's say, is any of his business. But he calls sit up and he grills him on this John.
Speaker 3: Watch you like, take me stepping the dude? What's the new biz? Where are you at? Brother? Right? Right? You know, all of a sudden, I hear Big in the a. I hear you know, Big Sizz is doing a lot more than you're selling wrestling moves. Dude, he's selling ad space.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 8: Right, let me ask you a question, brother, Are you working aghol So?
Speaker 3: Do I understand that you're you're in the agricultural business, dude, So does that mean you're working agricultural hall or agricultural nash?
Speaker 8: I mean, do you think, I mean, do you really think I'm the only one that would notice?
Speaker 3: Brother? All of a sudden, I hear all of a sudden, I hear cultural business. Dude. I'm like stroking the stash. Brother, I'm wondering, Wade you work on agriculture? Dude? You were an Allentown brother? Is he taking TV in Allentown's.
Speaker 8: Going to Ringer's Roost for dinner?
Speaker 3: Brother? Watching the Nasty?
Speaker 8: There's no, there's no Dellan is Nasty? Is sas sister?
Speaker 3: Sister?
Speaker 5: Dude?
Speaker 3: Is that where we're at?
Speaker 15: Brother?
Speaker 8: Did she work at the George Washington motor Lauge?
Speaker 3: How you got in with aghol M?
Speaker 8: He goes to work for an a chemical company called Custom Chemicides, and Holt's turn around is tell me how you got in with agg Hall? Like, why would you be in conversation with the building and you're trying to set up a position, like you're talking to Bruno. You're trying to start to get another office going.
Speaker 3: Are you doing a run with Bruno?
Speaker 8: He thinks if he says what's going to happen, he just keeps guessing because he thinks that if he lands on what's actually gonna happen, then he'll get a little tell out of it, and you know he'll give it away. Somehow, yep, doing.
Speaker 3: Going to be.
Speaker 8: I mean, like I saw you were the state state agg wrap all of a sudden for Mississippi and Alabama's pretty close to Florida. Dude, what's the next.
Speaker 3: Step talking people about beating Hulk Hogan becoming hulkch sp are you Hulk Hogan?
Speaker 8: Is it any I know one? I know one point. Vince promised you that, Brother, it's not an amusable question.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm just trying to get all my eggs in a row, brother.
Speaker 8: Because I got a lot going on here, said so I need to make sure I got a pretty clear path on what the next eighteen brother, And I got this sid thing hanging out here.
Speaker 3: The year is planning the next year and a half, brother.
Speaker 8: Right, And I'm looking at this business you're in all of a sudden, Brother, and it's it seems to me it's tall Hogan to be situated at all like the old territories?
Speaker 3: Brother? What it is?
Speaker 8: Brother's running Alabama and Mississippi all of a sudden, Who's who's running Florida's where my mind goes to.
Speaker 3: Brother, where is it going now? And what does that mean for Hulk Hogan?
Speaker 8: What episode was it when Hulk Hogan had a complete tail spin about someone getting a job outside of the wrestling business. Oh yeah, the Sid tribute. This is not a magic juice, said KEMERA. It's strictly a tool to be used along with good cultural practices. Camera stressed the importance of plants being healthy and free of insect, heavy insect pressure or disease. So frost guard brought to you by uh well, a accustomed chemicide spokesperson. Near you a crop that, normally, one article reads about the technology, normally would be damaged if the temperature drops to twenty nine degrees. Once sprayed with a frost protectant, could withstand temperatures several degrees cooler.
Speaker 3: My cool, dude.
Speaker 8: So if you can believe it, this is what Sid Well cool. This is what Sid goes on to do. I cannot imagine him in the polo, you know, because he's he's working territories that are always ninety fucking degrees and just so humid you can't even breathe. And he's walking the fields with the farmers on a Saturday. He's like yeah, and they're like, whoa, what a Were you a basketball player or something?
Speaker 22: Man?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, what would the would the what the Vince McMahon styck.
Speaker 3: Or not where a wrestled? Nor will I?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you are massive? How tall are you? I mean, uh, that's my bus.
Speaker 3: That's what came out of my fucking mouth.
Speaker 4: How tall are you?
Speaker 3: That's not my business?
Speaker 8: Not, that's not yours, that's not my business. My business. Now, hag chemicals, talk to me.
Speaker 3: You're gonna do about your frost problems? You're gonna do about it? What are you gonna do about your frost? Are you gonna take the power of Sid and frosted? I won't know where you're gonna go. Where you plan to be when Sid frosts? Wow? Well, well said.
Speaker 8: I gotta tell you I'm worried about the colts now earler than expect that oh ship and he doesn't kick him out.
Speaker 5: You don't understand what it means a frost?
Speaker 8: Okay, but what can I do to protect my crops?
Speaker 22: Man?
Speaker 3: You look me dead in the eye, and I want you to understand one thing. You can never recover from the frost. I will always be watching you.
Speaker 5: I will never take my eyes off you.
Speaker 3: You will never have the chemicals that I provide Because I wrote the chemical world.
Speaker 8: But but, but, but, mister, mister uty, I mean, I'm particularly concerned about stone fruits. I mean they're at a critical stage. A hard frost could really damage them, Sir, A hard frost can really damage them. I didn't say anything about softball, sir, heart frost really damaging my apples and stone I didn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe I should have softball is the most important.
Speaker 8: Say say say whatever you would say if I said it.
Speaker 3: There is nothing you can't solve with softball. Now you won't go play softball?
Speaker 13: All right?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 8: I mean, did you walk in here to play hardball? Is the question.
Speaker 3: What I'm tired of you doing is put word in my mouth. I'm asking you about softball.
Speaker 8: Do you guys offer I don't know wind machines or frost fans. I heard they're good for mixing up the air and keeping the temperature.
Speaker 3: That's what SID does.
Speaker 8: I've got a couple of frost fans, but they're not enough to cover the whole orchard. Do you have any options?
Speaker 3: It's pain.
Speaker 8: You don't have any sprinklers I can use overnight. I heard a light mist can help.
Speaker 3: Is sprinkle your head with pain?
Speaker 8: I heard a light mist can help her packed my blossoms from forming a layer of eyes.
Speaker 3: Is it true? What's true or what's not true? All?
Speaker 27: I know?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 3: Came here to sell and I'm not selling to you.
Speaker 8: Do you have frost blankets?
Speaker 5: I'm paint blankets.
Speaker 8: I mean, I've got some row covers for the veggies, but the orchard is my main concern. I mean, I don't know about the sprinkers. I'm about water right now. It's gonna be tough to cover everything in the eye.
Speaker 3: Do you grow? Can? I said? Do you grow?
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with viennas. Is that exact fruit or something? I don't understand.
Speaker 3: You know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Vienna sausages canned.
Speaker 8: I know those. That's a processed meat product that comes from from animals, that doesn't come from the ground. I'm run an orchard here. I don't even have any livestock that alone.
Speaker 3: Understand. Vienna is life.
Speaker 8: Do you have me homeless and Memphis homeless in Memphis cana Vienna sausages And do you know how many they're eating them? Not because they want to, but because they're having to, not because they need you.
Speaker 3: Not because they want to, but because that is what the church offers.
Speaker 8: Anything else besides Vienna's, is it?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 8: Is that all they get? Just a can of ennas?
Speaker 3: I want to tell you something.
Speaker 8: Did they at least get a package of crackers too?
Speaker 3: If they people?
Speaker 8: I mean, I would be glad to grow viands here if I could get something to value in return.
Speaker 3: You grov church. I'll send you a headshot signed by Sid.
Speaker 8: I know he has an interesting sales approach, doesn't he. You talk about round up, he rounds him right up. So yeah, is uh? You can picture them in the polo, white polo, and just like the heat the heat bugs, you know, like when you're a really hot area and it's like three in the afternoon. Just it's just like these bugs just going deep in the woods. That's it's his life. That's his life, of course, And we're gonna revisit a little bit of sound you've already heard here. That's life until of course this happens.
Speaker 11: And then one day I'd come home from work, and usually work on Saturdays all the time, during a busy time of farming, Saturdays had Sundays good day to be out there with the farmer to help, you know, see if he needed anything. And I came in on Saturday, my kept my wife's cousin said, Pitts mc man has been calling here, said yesterday every five minutes.
Speaker 12: I said, really, hear from eight months wherever it was, and the calls, I'm not here.
Speaker 10: This funny.
Speaker 11: I picked the phone call with my buddy's and phone clicks, I clicked it over. It was Vince, he said, Sin, it was Vince. I hate events and I got a big favor from you. I said, what it goes, I need you to do a couple of shots for me. I said, well, well, all right, when are they He said, well tonight and tomorrow. I got like forty minutes to make the flight. I said, aby, got my ship, get addressed in the car, and they picked me up there for it. Next time, the baby boy went home and hear more from a couple of weeks, same thing, And on Saturday, same thing, and you you do a couple of shots the same thing, real quick and but same.
Speaker 12: When I went back, I told him I wasn't. I didn't want to come back, you know, I did.
Speaker 11: I would come back, maybe do some bar time stuff and vincay no's your full time said things are different now.
Speaker 8: So there again is another instance of Sid getting into an absurd amount of detail about how the phone call consummated and who clicked over when and all that. I don't know why these are important details to him, but he tells those details every time. And Vince gets him on the horn and says he just needs him for something short term. Where did the need come from? You already heard it kind of telegraphed a little bit. Where did this sudden need come from? Or plug this hole that only Sid could plug?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 21: The whole idea at that time was the that was a comic book debacle with Ultimate Warrior, and after he tried to hold us up on the comic book money and what have you, and demanded all this money from us, and then he didn't show up. And then he says, three days later, after not returning body's call, well, my dad's sick or my dad died someone that he had reportedly not been close with and been estranged for many, many years. So it was a lot of it is Warrior going to show up, and Vince was trying to do everything he could to get Warrior just to show up. Let's get him to show up, come to work, we'll talk about it, we'll work through this and what have you. I'm sure that we probably looked at a lot of different people for that, but it was who's somebody that they would accept be happy to see a surprise. Normally it would be a guy like you know, Andy Savage, And maybe we just didn't have a whole lot of choice. And Vince was like, what about Sid? And he doesn't have to do anything but go out and deliver a power bomb to somebody and that's it.
Speaker 2: They'll be happy.
Speaker 3: What about Sid?
Speaker 8: It's amazing. How are they talking about the No one thought about this.
Speaker 3: Since he injured himself. You know, might as well, you know, fork over a few bucks. He was going on.
Speaker 8: Well, Vince, he told us last time, but to doctor as much as his career.
Speaker 3: Car bomb. Maybe take a bump or two, maybe, you know, drop off the you know they got they got, dive off the top, turn buckle to the floor, nothing nothing serious, land in his head, straight in his head. He doesn't know about this, was about that and he doesn't need to know about this. But we're gonna bring in Kenny Gobashi. That is a he's an entertainer from Japan, and you know what we're gonna have. He does this spectacular uh you know, flipping maneuver where he you know, he gives you a half of a Nelson and then he just drops you on your head and we're going to have Sid take that be me entertaining.
Speaker 8: It would be quite quite entertaining. Entertaining, is right? So yeah, let's just talk right through what Sid says is a career ending injury and give him a call, and what do you know, Holy presto, he jumps right in the plane immediately. Isn't well he's working in chemicals. I said, oh yeah, pal, well, I got a lot of chemicals. It's nothing compared to the chemicals I can dangle. It's more like my chemical romance. As it regards Sid in the w B. Here's more from Bruce.
Speaker 21: All right, the whole idea at that time that was a comic book.
Speaker 3: Sorry, already did that.
Speaker 27: And so.
Speaker 8: Sid's back and here's how it sounded. This is what it would found by even though he was supposed to just come in for a couple of shots, non televised quick matches to a power bomb, keep the people happy, fill that Warrior gap, right, because there are people still that bought tickets thinking Warrior was going to be in these house shows and they're firing him, so they're gonna show up pissed. Potentially, these fans, who can we put out there that will feel like a replacement for your value? And yeah, Sid kind of hits that same nostalgia. Chord hadn't seen him in a long time suitable replacement. But we know Vince and if you have that kind of value on one show, he's gonna want you whenever show. We've established this, So we just wanted to come in for a couple of shots to plug holes for us, turns into we need you back full time, turns into we need to pretend you never told us that you had career ending injuries to this happening. It was the International Incident pay per view. A six man tag was penciled in. Shawn Michaels, I'm at Johnson and the Ultimate Warrior were to face Yokozuna, Owen Hart and Jewish Bulldog or Vader. It was not Yokazu in Invader and due to the Ultimate Warriors firing for reasons referenced there by Bruce Pritchard. We've gone into it one hundred times over ten years on the show. You know the story. There's a need once again for a big man to fill those shoes, and this is what it sounded like that summer of nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 23: Welcome back every one to more Monday Night, Rod, Jim Cornett back in the locker room area. You don't seem too upset over whom Shawn Michaels and I'm Matt Johnson are gonna choose as a partner.
Speaker 4: Why would I be upset?
Speaker 24: It's been a real productive night for Camp Cornett because the Ultimate Warrior's out of the picture in more ways than one.
Speaker 5: And Sean Michael Zaman.
Speaker 4: Johnson, they're just buffing.
Speaker 7: They're trying about time.
Speaker 24: They ain't got no partner, they don't have anybody to do themors not kid, because nobody in our right mind would step into that spot to be their partner and that six man tag after what we just did a little while ago to the Warrior, I happen to know that all the ww have superstars, they already have prior commitments, so.
Speaker 4: Nobody to right mind would step into it.
Speaker 24: All the other guys are taking so Shawn Michael's Iman Johnson, you're bluffing.
Speaker 5: July twenty first International Listen.
Speaker 4: I promise you this.
Speaker 24: The three members of Camp Cornett are gonna take real good care of the two of you kids.
Speaker 7: You're coming to a gang fight and you're forgetting to bring your own gang.
Speaker 23: Oh yeah, all right, thank you very much. Let's take you out of Sean Michaels. I'm at Johnson standing by, Gentlemen, are running out of time.
Speaker 4: Whom have you chosen?
Speaker 29: Jim Cornett, We don't bluff. This is the World Wrestling Federaction.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 29: You gotta know when to hold him and no one to fold them. And you should have folded. Surprise, surprise, Look what we have for Camp Cornet.
Speaker 5: Cicho.
Speaker 18: You're looking at that figure, probably asked yourself, shining Michael, what.
Speaker 4: Are you gone?
Speaker 3: And done? Yeah twice.
Speaker 18: And he's released me this time For you Cornett and the Cornett camp, there's nothing.
Speaker 4: There's no good news.
Speaker 5: I canna hear you.
Speaker 3: How could hear you screaming out?
Speaker 7: Help?
Speaker 3: Health? There?
Speaker 29: I much rather be on this tea.
Speaker 12: Believe there's Joe.
Speaker 5: Why aren't you?
Speaker 4: Gentlemen and Jeff Cornet put the corner back ye me, what are you trying to do to me?
Speaker 30: Carloman, somebody tried to camp Cordon.
Speaker 5: He's not gonna get in a ring with that guy.
Speaker 4: He's a nut. That's why he hadn't been in the w WM.
Speaker 3: He's been locked up.
Speaker 30: Somebody getting tradment putting elect rooms to his hand. They've tried it down the gas tap of the election chair. But I'm gonna tell you something right now, I gonna put up with this. There's no way the camp Corde is gonna be ford to getting the regular second Monster Chot said.
Speaker 4: I'm calling Clarien Jason.
Speaker 6: I'm doing whatever I gotta do about I'm sick.
Speaker 8: And for the run that was just supposed to be one power bomb, do as little as possible, It turned into the run of Sid's career, as he would soon be WWF champion and the die would truly be cast on what he meant as a pro wrestler. That's next time on tlf's Tribute to sit River is a city.
Speaker 2: Preceding announcement as a t J DeSantis production. Its contents is intended for private use only.