Speaker 1: Shenley Laboratories, producer of Penicillin, Shenley and Shenley Pharmaceuticals presents the jan Core Theatre, yon Core Theater, Platonite Men in White, A star is Robert Taylor. Tonight, Shenley Laboratories presents another and a new series of great dramatic programs. Some of our stories of fact, the struggles and accomplishments of great men of medicine. Others of fiction, stories of devotion to an idea, individual heroism or courage. By these programs, Shenley Laboratories would remind you that medical science and progress is not cold in personal research or pages of statistics, but a warm human story told in living terms, whether it's the life of one of medicine's immortals or the everyday record of service rendered by your own position. Now Men in White, starring Robert Taylor as Doctor George Ferguson the library of Saint George's Hospital, where the Men in White gather to read, to smoke, and to discuss many things, primarily medicine. In a niche high in the wall is a marble bust of Hippocrates, the father of medicine, looking down in kindly Benediction. At the base of the bust is engraved a quotation from his Precepts.
Speaker 2: Where the love of man is there also is the love of the art of healing.
Speaker 3: Good morning, doctor Hackburg. I was looking for you. Good morning church down the record room this morning. The first forty five cases seem to bear you out. Forty five cases. What are you two up to? Oh?
Speaker 4: Ferguson and I are doing a little research. I have some crazy notions about modern surgical technique. Ferguson's writing of paper to prove that I'm right.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, Dr Hackburg is writing the paper. I'm just helping collect the data and arrange.
Speaker 4: You're doing all the hard work. House two seventeen.
Speaker 3: Pretty restless during the night, but her temperatures down to normal. Now good and word b bid three? Oh fine, ask for a drink of whiskey. He'll be a right, He is all right. I gave him the drink, won't you know. I'm beginning to think George is your prize pupil. He's definitely teacher's pet. He's a good boy. When are you going east? George? In three months? Looking forward to him? But I am it's it's more than just an opportunity to study in New York. It's going to be my honeymoon too. We'll find a difficult mixing the two. I know the medical center.
Speaker 4: It's getting to be very difficult. You don't know Laura.
Speaker 3: After a year in New York. I'm working with doctor Hackburg, so the real labor won't begin till I come back. You're probably right about that. I want you to meet Laura. You'll be crazy about her. As a matter of fact. Maybe I can bring her by here tonight. We're going out to a shindig of some sort tonight. Yes, I'm sorry, Ferguson. I'm afraid you'll have to stick around tonight. I just saw four oh one. He's a mighty sick boy. He may need another transfusion tonight. Yeah, we have three donors on call. I'm sorry, doctor Gordon, but this is my night out and Laura's made arrangements, so I'm afraid I won't be here, Ferguson, when the hospital need you, I'd like to doctor Hackburg, but same thing happened last week. I can't disappoint my fiance again. I won't have any.
Speaker 4: Can anyone else do the transfusion, Doctor Gardon.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid not.
Speaker 2: Ferguson's followed the case from the start. He knows the things we've used.
Speaker 3: George.
Speaker 2: I know I'm imposing, but I want this boy to have every possible chance.
Speaker 3: He's a sick boy. What do you say? All right, doctor Gordon, I'll stay, of course. Thanks.
Speaker 2: If your girl kicks up a fuss center around to me, I'll tell her about my wife up at four point thirty this morning to answer the phone. Somebody had a belly.
Speaker 3: Gordon. I'll see your lady.
Speaker 4: It's tough, George, but I am sure she'll understand.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether she will or not. She's been asked to understand so much lately, Doctor Ferguson.
Speaker 4: You wanted an emergency immediately.
Speaker 3: A woman just came in serious automobile accident. Get her up to the operating room. Yes, will you watch, doctor Hockburton. Of course.
Speaker 4: She'll be all right.
Speaker 3: George.
Speaker 4: You did a nice job.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I was glad you were there. I feel much safer with you and my elbow. You didn't need me at.
Speaker 4: All, doctor Ferguson.
Speaker 5: Miss Hudson's waiting in the reception room for you.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. Tell her I'll be right in. I hope I do as well with Laura, Doctor Hackburg.
Speaker 4: Don't worry you will. Laura loves you, and a woman in love should have an infinite capacity for understanding.
Speaker 3: Sometimes a woman in love has an infinite capacity for a misunderstanding. Hello, Darling, Hello monkey.
Speaker 5: You know it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't been kissed for three weeks now, and then I couldn't wait another minute, not even until the night.
Speaker 3: We'll take care of that right away, Thank you, lord, thank you. Hey, where'd you get that hat?
Speaker 5: Don't you like it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Sure, sure, it looks just like a vegetable salad.
Speaker 5: You're getting too thin, and your eyes are tired, and I didn't.
Speaker 3: Get much sleep last night. It was a pretty sick house.
Speaker 5: I missed you last night. I went to the party, but it wasn't any fun. Didn't mean a thing about you, you know, Darling. I don't seem to get a kick out of life anymore unless you're around him. It's not very often, isn't Darling.
Speaker 3: We'll make up for all of that later on. Honestly, I hope we can. George.
Speaker 5: Last night's gone and well, if I had you every minute from now, and it wouldn't be enough. I wish I'd lived all my life. I wish I'd been born in the same room with you and played in the same streets.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you didn't. They were gloomy streets. They might have touched you, changed you, you know. Or at about seven months ago, there was a boy here who had been blind from birth. We operated on him successfully. One night I showed him the stars for the first time. He looked at him alont and began to cry like a baby, because because he said they were so lovely, he might never have seen them. When I look at you, I get something of that same thing, Doctor Ferguson, I don't answer. Don't go, Michael. I have to go.
Speaker 5: Well. I had to get to my hair, dressed as anyhow and make myself beautiful for tonight, Uh, darling, I, oh, well, we'll have a wonderful leaving all of ourselves. We'll skip the party and drive up the Hudson. There's a full moon tonight, all right.
Speaker 3: I can't make it tonight.
Speaker 5: I have to stay in Oh no, not again.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I tried to duck out of it, but I couldn't. There's a transfusion. I have to do, George.
Speaker 5: They are overworking. It isn't fair. Oh, I was planning so much on tonight, George. What's our life going to be like?
Speaker 3: Pretty grand? I should say, Darling, don't look like that. We'll go out tomorrow night. Instand.
Speaker 5: It's not just tonight, it's all the night, George. I can take it for another three months, for another year and three months, but one would come back from New York. Let's arrange our lives like human beings. You can open up an office and have regular hours and special life.
Speaker 3: I work with Hagburg, Darling. I won't have the time to go into practice.
Speaker 5: But I couldn't go on this quay. I just couldn't. I'd rather break off. Now, you try to forget.
Speaker 3: I don't ever say a thing like that.
Speaker 5: Rather die quickly than by slow torture.
Speaker 3: Doctor Ferguson calling.
Speaker 5: They're calling.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know Ferguson speaking, Yes, oh south to eighteen. Yes, we'll called doctor Cunningham. It says case let him. When what's her temperature? Qulses? She pay you? Perspiring? Did she ask for food? No? No more insulin? Absolutely, I'll be right down. I have to go now, Laura, and please please don't worry about George. Don't as bad as that. I praise so sure things will straighten themselves.
Speaker 5: Out, will they? George? George, you just got to come on to some decisions, will you please?
Speaker 3: Absolutely all right? Then we'll come to some decision. If you don't mind too much, I'll have to go. I just like melodrama very much, but this is a matter of life and death. Put her in shock position. Nurse yes, sir, gluecase quickly and the thirty c C syringel sir, already so much good? Half of that'll do. Apply a tourniquet right arms, call for hot packs and blankets. Come on, hurry it up. Let's have that glue coase swab the army. Never mind the eye. It ain't just the alcohol, thank god, there's a good vein. Well that's about all we can.
Speaker 5: Do, doctor George.
Speaker 3: Yes, I wanted to why you bet give her some more onney.
Speaker 5: Sorry the dizzy? What happened?
Speaker 3: Nothing? You fell asleep. That's all You're going to be, all right now? Honey. Oh hello, doctor Cunningham. I didn't hear you come in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've been watching that was a nice work, Doctor Ferguson.
Speaker 3: Thank you, doctor Cunningham.
Speaker 6: The doctor can always become a better one by observing better ones. I've learned something from you, to Dave Ferguson, and I'm grateful. Better clean up that mess, nurse, put those hypos away? Yes, sir, Yeah, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I was just nervous. I guess this is my first case with a sick child. I got to like her an awful lot. I guess that will.
Speaker 3: I see, what's your name, Barbara den Hell, you're going to be a swell nurse. Barbara.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, doctor Fergusson.
Speaker 3: And you take my advice. I know just how you feel, nerves all tied up and or not you want to yell. I feel the same way myself. You get as far away from here tonight as you can. I have a good time, relaxed. Forget the hospital tomorrow, you'll you'll be all right.
Speaker 7: Oh I can't.
Speaker 5: I have an examined material medica.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow material medica? Eh say, I think I have some notes that may help you. I'll leave them with the orderly on the first floor and you can get them money way down.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 3: Thanks they might help a bit. At least you don't have to cram all nighters. That's your car. Yes, I'll see you later. Ferguson.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, doctor Gordon, it won't be necessary for you to stay in the night after all, three forty one died.
Speaker 3: A few moments ago. I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah, so am I. But we did everything we could. See you later, Ferguson, outside wire please well not two nine nine? Oh yes, hello, Laura, how are you there? Feeling better? Well, look, Darling, I can make it tonight after all. Why don't be silly, But Darling, we will work all that out. It's not it's so far away yet. Oh listen, Laura, that chance to work with Hackburg. It's one of the best breaks I've ever had. You don't expect me to throw it over at a moment's notice simply because you have some crazy idea. No, no, Darling, I don't even want to talk about it tonight. I'm I'm tired, Lawrence. It's been a heck of the day, three operations, and I can't think I can't make an important decision tonight in a minute. Oh, Laura, what do you think they're doing punishing me. All right, Laura, we'll skip it tonight. Now, I'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Yes, goodbye, come in, excuse me, doctor Ferguson.
Speaker 7: I'm off now. And I've wandered about the notes notes.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, yes, of course, Uh, Barbie, you don't really want to work tonight, do you?
Speaker 5: Oh? I don't suppose anyone ever really.
Speaker 3: Wants to work. Maybe you're right. I sometimes wonder myself whether all this is worth the grind of working the way through college and med school med school too.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, you've kept up with classes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm man. It was much fun. But still I guess it's the only thing I really want to do. My dad used to say, Above all is humanity. It was a fine man mind, had small town position upstate. I was about thirteen. He came to my room one night and apologized because he was going to die. His heart had gone back on him. He knew that if he gave up medicine and took it easy, he could live for twenty years. But he wanted to go right on. Wanted to die and harness, and he did. Above all else is humanity. That's that's a big thought, so big that alongside of it you and I don't really matter very much. That's why we do it.
Speaker 5: I guess it must make you very proud to hear save someone's life the way you did that childs today.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's anything more.
Speaker 3: Important than the world. Neither do I. We can't allow outside forces or things or people to interfere with us, can't. We can't do it, and if they do, we've got to bar them out, even if we have to tear our hearts out to do it. Sorry, I didn't mean to get up on a soapbox.
Speaker 5: I know exactly how you feel.
Speaker 3: Look how about putting off the work for a couple hours and going somewhere for dinner with me. You look like an understanding sort of person, and I'm very much in need of a little understanding tonight. What do you come?
Speaker 7: Of course, I'd love to come.
Speaker 1: In a moment, we'll return to our heartwarming play Men in White, starring Robert Taylor. Now a message of vital importance. Few people realize how widely penicillin is used in dental surgery today. Penicillin, the wonder drug whose production just a few short years ago was so uncertain, so beset with production difficulties that only those hovering between life and death could have its healing boon. Among the firms which now produce penicillin for use by dentists is Shenley Laboratories. Shenley is also devoting its resources and facilities to the production of specialized penicillin products and to a continuing program of research whose purpose is the discovery and development of an ever greater range of pharmaceuticals. As one of the world's largest users of scientific research in the field of fermentation processes from which penicillin and related drugs are derived, Shenley Laboratories has developed penicillin tablets and trochies for use in dental practice, penicillin ointment for direct application to affected skin surfaces, and of thalmic ointment for treating certain infections.
Speaker 3: Of the eye.
Speaker 1: The tangible expressions of Shenley Laboratory's research, Shenley Pharmaceuticals of highest quality are constantly at fewer doctors and dentist's disposal in their work at Keeping You Well Now, the second act of Men in White, starring Robert Taylor as doctor Ferguson and with Gg Pisson as Laura.
Speaker 3: George Laura, what are you doing? In the park looking for you.
Speaker 5: They told me as the hospital that you were over here taking a walk. Oh, I had to find you, George. I've been miserables.
Speaker 3: That hasn't exactly been a picnic for me.
Speaker 7: Have you missed me?
Speaker 3: You know? I am.
Speaker 5: I thought I could be happy without you. I thought I could just snap my fingers and say father hick with it. But there were too many plans, too many dreams, too many memories. I never quite managed to snap my fingers at all.
Speaker 3: Laura, Darling, I've missed you like everything, Vinci darn lone ladies.
Speaker 5: Why didn't you call me?
Speaker 3: Well, Pride, I guess even knows I wanted to call.
Speaker 5: We wasted a lot of time. We'll make up for it. Who are together again?
Speaker 3: That's the most important thing in the world, Darling. Oh uh, Barbara, Hello, I've been looking all over for you.
Speaker 5: Do you have to break our date for dinner?
Speaker 3: Well? No, no, I guess I can make that. But there is something I've got to talk to you about.
Speaker 5: I cannot wait until tonight.
Speaker 3: Yes, I guess I can wait until tonight.
Speaker 5: It's very quiet.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know. I'm trying to think of how to tell you something.
Speaker 5: George these past few weeks we've been going out in the most wonderful weeks.
Speaker 3: Of my life. Well, I was very kind and good of you to go out of me, to put up in my mood.
Speaker 5: I don't talk like that.
Speaker 7: I've been happy with you as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 5: You then everything a girl could ever dream about. I think I fell in love with you the first time you smiled with me after that operation, because I can't remember anything that happened to.
Speaker 7: Me before that moment.
Speaker 3: Barbara, don't please I Well, Barbara, I don't. I don't know how to say this. You see, I I'm engaged. Engaged, Yes, I have been for over a year. And that night that you, that we went out, i'd had a quarrel with my fiance. Oh, I'm darling. I wouldn't have had this happen for anything.
Speaker 5: Don't say anything else. I had a lovely time. Thanks for the buggy ride. You don't mind if I say good night to you too?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do mind. I want to talk to you.
Speaker 5: There's nothing more to say. Funny, how I thought it was the beginning of everything when I met you, really the end. Good Night you, George, goodbye, George. You're going to accept the appointment to practice with doctor Coleman, aren't you?
Speaker 3: George? M m oh, what did you say? Laura? What is it?
Speaker 5: Boy?
Speaker 4: What's wrong? You've been pacing up and down like a caged animal.
Speaker 5: I've been here for an hour and you barely grands dad me. You're not a very satisfactory then said.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Laura. I've got a lot of things on my mind. He can't accept that appointment, daughter. He isn't ready for us.
Speaker 5: He will be after a year in New York.
Speaker 3: You love George, don't you, Laura? You know I do.
Speaker 4: Then don't influence him wrongly. George has been offered disappointment through your father's influence. You don't buy things in medicine, Laura, you earn them. A doctor's character is as important as his skill. The next five years, of the crucial years in George's life, they are going to tell whether he becomes an important man or nottimist.
Speaker 3: Not as if I were going to drop my studies by going in to practice doctor Hackburg. I'll keep on.
Speaker 5: After all, George's works so terribly hard until now hockey, and well, this will make things easier for him.
Speaker 3: There are no easy roads in medicine. I didn't expect it to be easy. I counted on work, hard work. It will be at least ten years before you are ready for an appointment like that.
Speaker 5: If he takes it, he'll have regular hours. We'll have some time for ourselves.
Speaker 4: Hockey time. How there are only twenty four hours in a day. He's working with me, and if or are you, George, doctor Hackburg. I haven't loathed yet. I don't tend to start now. But Laura and I are young. We love each other. I want a little more of life than just my work. I don't think that's too much to ask. I see, I see, sir, you've decided not to come with me next year.
Speaker 3: Is that it? Well, sir, that's all right.
Speaker 4: You're never right to decide for yourself.
Speaker 3: You come right away. Doctor Hackberdin's an emergency one of the staffs. She took an overdose. Who is it? Got a nice little girl up in pediatrics, Barbara Dennon. I'll go right up.
Speaker 2: She's unconscious now, but she she was calling for you.
Speaker 3: Doctor Ferguson. I'll go with you. If I made doctor Hockburg come along.
Speaker 4: There's nothing more we can do.
Speaker 3: George.
Speaker 4: Except wait, Gordon will call us if there's any change. Let's sit down in here a moment. My poor kid.
Speaker 3: I never dreamt that she'd I had to be honest, whether I had to tell her it always had been a Laura always would be.
Speaker 4: You can't blame yourself. People fall in love with a rhyme or reason quite often. It isn't your fault, doctor Hockburg. I'm going to marry Barbara demon she'll have me. George, stop talking like an idiot. Pull yourself together. What about Laura.
Speaker 3: I've been calling her all morning. She must have guessed about Barbera. She wouldn't even come to the phone.
Speaker 4: Well, George, in a way, that's not the worst that could have happened to you.
Speaker 3: I don't say that it is. Well.
Speaker 4: Now there's work, my boy. Remember that's the master word work. I'm going to marry that girl, going to take care of her. Mid Victorian idealism won't solve this problem, George.
Speaker 3: She's a human, isn't she, And she needs me. I'm going in to practice immediately.
Speaker 8: You give up your trip to New York s George, George, use your head. You you ruin the rest of your life destroy your ambition, your ideals, fill yourself with bitterness, and you'd live day and night with a woman who would grow to despise you. Doctor Hockburg speaking, Yes he's here. Who oh, all right, right? Bring her up here to one, No sake, Laura's on her way up. I'll be in Miss Dinnon's room if you want me.
Speaker 3: All right, And doctor Hackberg, I want you to know, whatever I do that that I appreciate all you've done for me. I know I must have sounded very ungrateful when Laura and I were talking to you.
Speaker 4: They know it's our instinct to live, to enjoy yourselves, all of us.
Speaker 3: I love Laura so much. She's so so full of life and fun and all the things I've missed for so many years. I just didn't have the guts to give them up. I kidded myself out of the most important thing that ever happened to me, a chance to work with you.
Speaker 4: Do you still want to you can?
Speaker 3: If you do? No, not now, I'm going into practice. If I can't make a go of that, I'll find a job at something else. I won't starve. I'll always make a living.
Speaker 4: Come in, Hello Laura, Hello doctor you know where to get me if you want me. George, Yes, George, do you love that girl?
Speaker 3: I love you, Laura.
Speaker 5: How can you expect me to believe that you've been seeing her? Haven't you been spending evenings with her that you could have spent with me?
Speaker 3: Laura, I went out with her that night. He refused to go out to me. You remember, there were several days there that you wouldn't even talk to me. So I took her out a few times. She's a nice kid. She was someone to talk to, Laura. If I hadn't loved you, I wouldn't have asked you to come to New York with me alone. There I'd accomplish a lot more. Well, you can go alone now. No, I'm not going at all. Now I'm going into practice, and I'm going to marry Barbara.
Speaker 5: Marry her when you're not in love with Yes. I suppose you think you're being brave and strong and making a wonderful gesture, but not, you're a coward. You're doing it because it's the easiest way out, because you're afraid of what people might say about you.
Speaker 3: Oh, you, I have no backbone. You're right, Laura, I had no backbone when I let myself be talked out of a chance to work with hockey. Maybe to do something fine someday, but right now I have no choice. And I'm not doing it because I give a hang what anybody he says or thinks. I'm doing it because that girl's life is smashed and I'm responsible, and I want to try and help her pick up the pieces and put them together again.
Speaker 5: Oh, George, George, I knew how you felt about hockey, and I was wrong to insist. Oh. I have been selfish, but it was only because I loved you so much.
Speaker 3: Oh, George dying, I do love you. Could never be anyone else for him? George?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 4: Bartmer din And died you know a few minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Oh couldn't you do anything? Doctor Hartburg? If she was too far gone? We were helpless.
Speaker 4: Forty years I've spent in medicine and I couldn't help her.
Speaker 3: Then what's the use? What good is it all? Why go On takes everything from you and when you need it most, it leaves you're helpless. We don't know anything. We're only guessing, George.
Speaker 4: There isn't a man in medicine who hasn't said what you've just said and meant it for a minute, all of us, George, And you're right. We are groping. Sometimes we're guessing. But at least our guesses today are closer than they were twenty years ago, and twenty years now they'll still be closer. That's what we're here for. Oh, there's so much to be done and so little time in which to do it. That one life is never long enough. It's not easy for any of us. But in the end, our reward is something richer than simply living. Maybe it's a kind of success that the world out there can't measure.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a kind of glory.
Speaker 4: Charge yes, question as much as we will when the test comes, we know, don't we charge?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes we do.
Speaker 4: We'll reduce that fracture at ten, schedule lapp and dectomy at three, the gastriculture immediately afterwards.
Speaker 3: Here, sir, I'll see you later.
Speaker 5: Oh, darling, I'm so sorry, George. Let's let's get away from here. Let's go someplace where we can talk this thing over quietly.
Speaker 3: Insane, No, Laura, this is where I belong.
Speaker 5: Yes, I know it is. I understand. Well. When you come back from New York. If howk you'll let you off for a night, give me a ring. I'll be around maybe someday.
Speaker 3: Laura Darling, and I love you. If you really see things the way you say you do, then marry me and come with me to New York and help me.
Speaker 5: Laura, thanks for asking me. Oh, I'd love to doctor Ferguson.
Speaker 3: Doctor Ferguson, you're calling you. Will you be here when I get through.
Speaker 5: I'll be here whenever you get through.
Speaker 1: In a moment, we'll bring our star Robert Taylor back to the microphone. But first, if we leave this thought with you, twenty four hour a day service, who but your family position would give it. There's no knocking off work for him, for he's on call to relieve little and big pains anytime you call on him. Shenley Laboratories pays tribute to this unselfish spirit which characterizes members of the medical profession, and to the years every physician spends acquiring knowledge and experience so that the lot of mankind may be a better and healthier one. Now Here is the star of to night's play, Robert Taylor.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, To sum up the spirit of the Shenley Laboratori's program. This simple and beautiful prayer of the physician, written Stesa's gold by my monodes, seems to me aptent fitting the eternal Providence has appointed me to watch over the life and death of all thy creatures. May I always see in the patient a fellow creature in pain. Grant me strength and opportunity always to extend the domain of my craft. This is the prayer of the physician. It is ages old, yet to day it is as new as the hope for a peaceful way of life for all the world. May we invite you to listen again next week at the same time when Shenley Laboratories presents Quite Angels starring Virginia Bruce, a great star in a great story. Good Night.
Speaker 1: Men in White by Sidney Kingsley was produced and directed by Bill Lawrence.
Speaker 3: It was a Gene Holloway adaptation.
Speaker 1: Robert Taylor appeared by arrangement of Metro Golden Mayer, producers of the Technicolor musical Easy to Wed. This is Frank Graham speaking for Shenley Laboratories, producer of Penicillin Shenleigh and inviting you to listen to the Encore Theater next Tuesday, at the same time when you will hear Virginia Bruce in White Angel. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.