Speaker 1: Hello and welcome the Deep Blue Sea the podcast I Am Mark, Dynamite, Steak half Meyer.
Speaker 2: And I Am Jay What a Birth? The Working aboard Deeply the podcast. On this show, we've been to the entire Deeply See Troy seen by s today Chekhov's water birth. She doesn't want to give. She doesn't want to do a water birth. She's not going to do a water birth Mark. She's going to do it in a hospital, comfortable room, listening to her playlist. Definitely not in the water on her own. With a shark coming this week, we're talking about Thrash. What is Thrash? Thrash is a new shark movie on six film directed and written by Tommy Wakola and starring Fabe dinner All, Whitney, Peak, Joyman, Hound Zoo Uh, matt Abel, Eliah Brown, Stacy Clausen, and Dotty in the town of Annieville, which sounds too similar to Amityville. Throughout the entirety of the film, I thought, Hey, they're doing it's like a nod to amity which means friendship. But no, it's the town of Annieville on the East coast of America. Somewhere there is a Category five storm storm Henry. It's battering the coast. I've been told to evacuate. Most people have, some silly people haven't. The storm comes, it traps them, and we're following these people. So the people that we have are Phoebe dinnivoll Is, Lisa. She is very pregnant. She's like twelve months pregnant. She is fit to burst, and she's still there because she had to stay behind at work.
Speaker 1: Meets a fun Adam Kay, the producer.
Speaker 2: Mccays meets where the only town, the only company that will drive a tanker truck full of blood around, just full of blood, nothing else in it, just blood. It seems she's working for them. She's very pregnant. In her car stuck on a tree outside the house of Whitney peaks Dakota, who is grieving agoraphobic. Her mother passed recently. She is kind of decided to weigh out of the storm and not go outside because she has pank attats when she goes outside. Also, meanwhile, there's three foster siblings Deron Will who have good parents, Yeah, good kids, just the worst parents, just just the worst foster parents. Get into and there their dad's like, ah, it's just a little bit of rain, and so they're stuck, the kids and hell, and along with the storm, there's a bunch of sharks. These are being tracked by Dakota's uncle, Joamin Hounzuo, who's a marine researcher with a boat. He's coming to save Dakota. And there's also a pregnant great white shark in the midst as well. That's thrash. It's on Netflix, My girl, Nellie, I'm sad it went straight to Netflix.
Speaker 1: I want to see this in theaters.
Speaker 2: That would have been great. The anthetis I agree. Eighty six minutes wix eighty six minutes, czy.
Speaker 1: To the point likable. You know, you know what annoys me? Jay. Everybody's like, I've read some reviews. These characters do stupid things. Yeah, but but I mean, okay, so Lisa, she's stuck there, Yeah, exactly like Roger Ebert and other things like but you know what, though, people will call you into work. We had a giant storm in Atlanta once and they were like, Mark, come work, Like it's people do that to you. And then the three kids they're just stuck with terrible foster parents. And then Dakota like she's by herself, and she's been through a lot. She's a gooraphobic. She leaves chocolate milk out and uh and beans, it doesn't put them back in the fridge exactly like she's I mean, but like she's a young kid who's depressed. Like and if you're not from the area, also like Lisa's not from the area. I grew up in Florida, Like I in fourth grade at this thing called the No Name Storm hit, and like I woke up and my dad's trailer was filled. I put my feet on the ground of water was in there. I looked outside. My dad's car was almost submerged. We had to like it walked out into a raft that was coming by. And yeah, I mean, like just woke up and it was called the No Name storm because no one saw it coming. And I mean that it happens, like even though you live in Florida, you just things happened. So I guess I don't know. I just I don't think any of these people have egregious reasons for not leaving.
Speaker 2: And then I like that the only one, the only one you could say is is Dakota because she is able to She she is not like trapped behind through forces outside of herself other than her panic attacks, which is a.
Speaker 1: Good paralyzed behind.
Speaker 2: Pah, I'm not I'm not blaming her. Yeah, but you know, yeah, everyone else is there and it makes sense that they are and once say that, I think the decisions that they make are pretty reasonable. It shot well and try and save the save the woman who's trapped in the car outside your window.
Speaker 1: And I love that set piece Whitney Peak Dakotas. I'm a big fan of Dakota. She's a good kid and I like that scene though where she slips on the roof climbs on the thing, like I don't know, the physicality of the performance is really good. You can tell she doesn't want to be there, like her movements are quite slow, methodical, but it plays really well and Lisa's cool, so it's it's a good scene. And they shot this in a parking lot in Australia, so I mean, I think knowing that this movie looks good as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah there anything of building a set and sinking it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they built it like legos. Each piece they so like they just built on a street and then they would lift up the things, take the bottom part off and dunk them further to make it seem like the water rows like a very smart way of shooting. And I don't know though, big thing Jay, It's like, have you seen another teen movie?
Speaker 2: I'd love.
Speaker 1: You know that football coach. That's just we're a non explicit podcast, but you know how much that football coach and not another team movie? Swears Yes, he's just meant to be like making fun of John Voight and all those different characters from all the football movies. But I feel like the uncle or the stepfather in this one, not the foster parent in this one. Billy Olsen, that guy is from not another teen movie, and he's placed in the real world. It's such an odd character.
Speaker 2: He's just like they're.
Speaker 1: Dropping logs in their painties and like I buy my stakes, but I keep them secret. And he's just such the guy. He's just like all he does, these these these little bastards, Like he calls these three kids are foster kids, siblings, so they might have lost their parents and he's calling them bastards. So it's like this guy is not from the real world, So it's like a character from not another te movie. The like like I don't know, escaped that movie like wrecket Ralph and entered this one.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. That's my uh okay, that's my issue with with thrash is there's two separate there's two separate films. They never interact once ever at all. It kind of did. The only thing they have in common is the end credits in this film, and they're always in the same storm and the same sharks. I guess, but to me, it feels like a different person wrote and directed each one because like the least a Dakota storyline is like gripping a bit of a thriller and there's not a lot of levity and that it's not I'm not saying it's a big down because it's not as those actions as tension that's going. And if you factor in the Jaman Hansoo character, he's got theres some jokes there with him and the news the news reader who is shocked he survived the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's not like he's kind of a brat, but he's also he's down to help, Like he's not.
Speaker 2: I still thought he was gonna get eaten by shark. And then you go to the other you go to the Foster family and it's raucous. It's like broad stereosms, horrendous accents. The oldest kid, I don't know where he's from. Stacey calls him is Ron, but his accents.
Speaker 1: Look around, it's.
Speaker 2: So exaggerated. Yeah, it's like a freezer, fut of steaks in the in the basement and the basement photo of shotguns and a suitcase full of dynamite? Who wrote this? What did this bit come from? The other half of this film is great? Where's what is going on over here?
Speaker 1: When he when they pop up in the dynamite, I started dancing, though, I was like, oh, also he's from Australia by the way, so okay, and also self care like where they're filming in South Carolina. That's not I say this a lot, but like it's not the hard it's not. Listen, y'all, I'm gonna go spit on this. I'm gonna go spit on these people, and I'm gonna people got them pooping in their ponies, you know, just that's a line from the movie. I think laying rocks in her peny Like I'm gonna listen to some contry music, Like that's not the like that area. So it's it's a it's it's a Norwegian director kind of writing Southern characters then having Australian actors play stereotypes. But I still like the I like when he's like, I hate this sweater. Like I like the kid, but.
Speaker 2: I have a problem with him. It's just it feels like such.
Speaker 1: A different accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually was pretty engaged with those three kids. I like them, like when they when she goes to close the door and you have that awesome overhead shot of the bull shark swimming in and then he goes and saves his sister and you know, he goes and swims And I will say this movie definitely I like it, but it makes me appreciate Crawl more because crawl aside from those stupid crooks that are trying to steal an ATM, which would happen. Yeah, it's like that's actually makes sense. But they keep it in the house with two characters, and maybe that's a testament to Kaya and b PEPs but that you don't need three orphans stealing meat from a refrigerator. And then do is it like and is it a dynamite meat or meat dynamite? I'm not sure which one it is, but it it's like Crawl. Crawl like finds so much tense and like interesting stuff in just one house in a crawl space under home because the houses are elevated, so there's a crawl space. It's not a basement. But you yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I agree. I was thinking the same thing that this this film tries to add so much more and ends up becoming less than cruel. We'll gott to cover Crawl soon. We're definitely go color crossing rules. Crawl does rule this. Watching this movie, think like, was there like a third story and this is meant to be some kind of storm based anthology like that, the like a third one that was disnected as well, because it just feels they feel like clumsily edited together at times. What okay the bank crobber Is and Crawel. My favorite scene in Crawl just because like people are like these people are going to die and they die. I love when I love when that happens in a film like Oh, bad Guys arrived, Bad Guys are big killed Great. I feel like that scene was added just to kind of space out the action a little bit, where which this film could have give them a boat, give them a boat. But also like Spring, it sprinkles a few more like kills and creatures of each stuff throughout the film, whereas Thrash doesn't do that that much. There are the first attack sequence is like twenty five minutes into the film. The second attack sequence is twenty five and a half minutes into the film. The third attack sequence is twenty six minutes into the film, and then there's nothing from other half an hour, and then there's like a couple and then there's nothing, and there's the end, and it's it's not like I'm not saying should be evenly distributed. I think if deep Lucy deeply see you get once the action starts, it kind of it goes on at a good base. It gets along seen by scene by here. It's like see action, see action. The when you first notice the sharks, they take out three people straight away, like all the people that are in the water apart from Lisa are all just like taken our which is three guys. And at the same time, the exact same time is when the foster parents are taken out in the other story. So it feels like.
Speaker 1: A historical what do you mean by the snorm. What do you still await the snorkels? Actually a good idea, I say, yeah, wow, yeah, they should just let that, Let let that loose. Here we go ben it.
Speaker 2: Yeah and man his song choices as well. That's set on the most country of songs on the radio.
Speaker 1: The most nightmarish of not even like ones that tell a story. It's all more like wanted, like I got, I got, if it, if it.
Speaker 2: Don't twang, it ain't My thing was the one he said, I don't know what song that is, plus the lyrics I wrote down. But when he he gets attacked and he gets his arm bitten off, he makes his way into the truck and he's like smearing his blood of the radio. There's the lyrics that come on. Are song seeing wearing his wearing his helf on his sleeve, like is that some kind of is that like heart blood on his sleeve his stump arm?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Are they trying to do something there that.
Speaker 1: They went bullfinger and went to cerebral with that one. See letter Cliff both finger rules. By the way, Yeah, that's when that guy disappeared.
Speaker 2: I was so happy.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, that's funny Jay when they're like, he made.
Speaker 2: He made it one armed, apparently half of his athmis and he made it underwater from the garage outside, through the cross the yard into the kitchen. Halfway across the kitchen, round the counter pops up. All underwater was bleeding from at least two different places threeom places, got a headwinds as well. He just pops up and he's fine.
Speaker 1: I wanted to dance when that scene happens. I just want to be like and then the sister.
Speaker 2: Kills him, yeah, because I've had enough.
Speaker 1: And I like her. Like this guy sucks. I'm gonna knock.
Speaker 2: Him out because he's like popped up and be like, I'm injured. You kids, your kids go in the water. Sharks don't like kids. You ain't what sharks like. They don't like kids.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: So that's that's when the oldest son kind of steps up and uh, dad goes to punch him and he grabs his and his fist, et cetera, and he calls him a money grabbing, one armed, half an asshole piece of s Yeah, and then the doorter kicks him in the head and then he dies. Great, Uh, which they good.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that they got closure, they got to kill him, so that was that was nice.
Speaker 1: They are they deserve that. That guy he was, he was they were eating bread and they weren't eating every day, and they were just pocketing fifteen hundred dollars checks.
Speaker 2: They were eating just plain white bread whilst the parents had steaks in the basement.
Speaker 1: Which you know, what's funny. I've actually been into like swamps like that with ropes, and I do specifically remember a water moccasin swimming by me one time, just like right, we're talking two feet across it. It just swam across from me. It kind of like gave me what's up. It didn't. They just kept swimming. But like, that's that's some dangerous stuff right there. I saw someone fall out of a tree once. They were surprisingly fine, which is always stuck with me because I was like, that guy's dead. He was fine, but yeah, so, I mean, I know he was mad about the danger, but he wasn't worried about them. He was just paying worried about paying hospital bills.
Speaker 2: Oh I need or he might get less money, or the kids might be taking away so they don't get there the stipend from the state.
Speaker 1: And also too there's a scene where he calls them a no good son of a bee? And Jay, do you ever wish someone called you that? Like you're just you know, you're entering somewhere when someone goes, there's that no good son of a bee? Like would that would that make you happy if someone said that about you?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I'd be happy. I'd like context. I like to know why you call him.
Speaker 1: No good son of What did I do? I mean? Would you like to get to the point where people say that about you and everyone just agrees with it as a reputation.
Speaker 2: It's not a great one to have.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Quite nice.
Speaker 1: It's very specific, you're no good in your son of a bee. You could say no good or you're a son of a bee, but this one's combined.
Speaker 2: I I really liked the scene where Javion Hounds was giving his backstory and he's he grew up on the in the river, wrote it down the Zambezi River in Mozambique, and it's one one animal is dangerous, theirs hippo and one day's gonna be chilled by a hippo. But instead of the hippo has taken up with these bull sharks and he saw something in Hippo's eyes and he's turning us still the news reporter, and the reporters like, did you did you run back to your heart and grab your spear And he's like, no, I ran back to my apartment and had caught the place and had a pizza because I didn't grow up in the Jungle Book. I loved that. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that he's the Dennis Quaid in this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's so much better than Dennis quad But.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, The Day after Tomorrow Dad, he's not the dad uncle, but or he's like the Paul Giamadi who goes and saves people. Sure that's sanadreyas, yeah, but actually the dad goes in so I guess he's technically the Dayne.
Speaker 2: Johnson stealen helicopters that should be used for better things.
Speaker 1: Wait, I told you about that, right, Okay, good, real quick. That was like one of the funniest things. And I when I figured out how many helicopters there actually are in l a for rescue, and there's three, and he just takes one and leaves it on a broken down road somewhere and remember going that's not right, Dwayne, that's not right. So quick question. So I know who mister Olsen is. They're like F mister Olson. But then they're like F Johnny Watkins. Who's Johnny Waker.
Speaker 2: Johnny Watkins because they're talking about that's when that's when the dad's saying shocks Onny. The kids. It's like a dog doesn't need its own turd and the oldest son's like Johnny Walkins, dog eats its own turds and like Johnny Watkins.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love this movie.
Speaker 3: Jay.
Speaker 1: I want to do a data post or maybe you and I should work on a visual of how he swims to the house underwater and gets there without them noticing.
Speaker 2: He must move like the murman in Cabin in the Woods, which is like prowling along the floor with flippery things, because he's not he's he's got one arm, got half a butt.
Speaker 1: Johnny walk In that hippo story. It was great. This movie is just so economical.
Speaker 2: I like the kid going down into the basement and get the guns because they're locked because apparently, well their parents had said don't go to the basement. They're still actually safe with their weaponry and don't don't leave them unlocked. Uh, but then that the kids sweats are getting caught on every hook going. Just before he took it off, my wife watches for me. She's like, just take the bloody sweater off. And he did so good, he listened.
Speaker 1: Was she happy when that happened? I hate the sweater?
Speaker 2: Yeah she was. She didn't care. I don't think she cares for these films anymore. She's seen too many. I get it's fine, the when when before everything kicks off in the people are staying behind spoilers. By the way, Dacoach is watching the news on the newscast is like, if you're staying behind, I write your idea on your arm so they can identify the body that maybe love. Like I can see that being a bit of advice.
Speaker 1: Morbid, that's you know, that's dangerous. So I was part of that storm shirts Jay, and I remember my dad's car underwater and like the trailer we were in was submerged, and the first thought I had was to grab a sock and like hit my dad in the back with it like a wet sock. Okay, but yeah, I just but that's it's dangerous. So I don't know. I kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know, when when we watch like shark films, I try and think, what's unique about this shark film? What's different about this one that we haven't seen elsewhere? And I would say the how how heavily the pregnancy subplot is in this It's something we haven't seen before. This is definitely the first Shark film I've seen where somebody has to check somebody else's sox.
Speaker 1: Opening, yeah, two three inches.
Speaker 2: And the fact that that Lisa does like a little countdowns like a three two one to opening her legs for measure it, which, yeah, not a situation that Dakoda would ever want to be in, even outside of the storm, I guess. But that's and then we have to talk about the actual birth scene because like she's she goes into labor during the flood. She's on a four poster bed on the top.
Speaker 1: Floor, which is great by the way, when the water rises and the four poster gets stuck there, that's adn't eat visual.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, And Dakocha has gone to try and get the boat that some of the people had her there in the film, so just Lisa's on her own. She starts giving starts giving birth, and she gets out her iPhone ipadd wherever it is it's trying and do a playlist. She starts playing it and then the house just completely comes apart. They've been saying it's going to happen. The whole film through his house is going to fall apart, has fall apart, that them's going to come over, and then it falls apart mid birth, and then she's just out in the water cleaning a bit of debris, gives birth, just just kind of we don't see the birth, which I'm grateful for. But she's just like clinging to debris, and then there's a baby.
Speaker 1: And she's going, where are you?
Speaker 2: Yes, because she's trying to find this newborn baby. It's underwater.
Speaker 1: In my notes, I wrote, holy hell yes at that scene because I really but.
Speaker 2: We're the overhead shot of she's she's surrounded by all the after birth. I guess I've not been present for a berth. I don't know if this is right. I assume I hope to never be present for a birth that's not on my bucket list.
Speaker 1: It's a journey, Jay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's all of the blooders around her, and she's got a baby and she's she has the baby is still attached to the umbilical cord, and she breaks off a bit of drift wood and tears it. I was really hoping a shark was going to do it. I wanted somehow it to be Orchestralian, that a shark would cut the umbilical cord. That was my what I hoped from that. What other film was that going to happen? It didn't happen.
Speaker 1: He's crazy, that's great, but.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen. She just cuts it and then she puts a baby down on some rundom. It's like me, but she's just got to kill some effan sharks. And then she turns around and stabs a shark in the head and then baby. Yeah, but then swim back for it. Dakota takes out another one with a harp home.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, Dakota's a good kid. Yeah, well Dakota's And then and then Nelly takes one out as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, the diox great white shark and a just that crops up. It's been mentioned, what what's that dot on the map? That's a pregnant great white shark. We've been tracking pregnancy. Not right of them doesn't give birth. There's no like Nellie babies later in the film. It's just this duck shock just kind of comes along, shows up, takes out a bull shark, and then it isn't a problem. This great white bit in the area not an issue, apparently.
Speaker 1: I don't know, hate the bull shark.
Speaker 2: The bull shark.
Speaker 1: It's like these bull sharks are dicks, like I'm gonna eat them. Just goes and gets it. Sorry for the language, Jenny, but it okay. So things we haven't seen before. I yes, the birth ink because most of the time in these movies we watched the crocodile films and other shark films, there's always a pregnant lady. But they just found out very rarely, is there a I mean yeah, they just yeah from somebody or like they're cheating or something like that. And so I like that. It's yeah, I've never seen a late stage pregnancy thing in a shark film before, especially giving birth. What a Let's see what else I've never beef steak or steak beef. I like that bit and the blood gets all over the kids.
Speaker 2: That's another bit where it's like this is a comedy. They've a steak and they've chucked and it explodes into just Kevin and shotcuts.
Speaker 1: Well. I mean, you know what, though, Tommy Barkla have if you've seen Dead Snow or Hansel and Gretel like.
Speaker 2: That guy loves Yes, I've seen both of those, and.
Speaker 1: Like Violent Night, he murders people hard and he loves that kind of humor. So I think to satiate that need, he kind of did a did a A story of seriousness and then a B story of just insanity. It's like, you know, say, ate his need for blood explosions because Hansel and Gretel they get covered in blood that snow. Everyone gets covered in blood in all of his movies, so you need to keep that up. So I guess that makes sense that fat that he would have that that subplot. Who gives them props to Dakota real quick?
Speaker 2: I like her absolutely? Yeah, she's great. H Yeah, you know she's I think her and Lisa a the ones that go through the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like Phoebe, Phoebe Jennifer is good in this movie, and so is Whitney Peak. Like that, Tommy puts a lot of focus on on Whitney Peak as well, like he lets the camera linger on her and lets her. She does really good at playing like apprehensive and stressed out, but like still a good kid who's going to help people. And I don't know, there's something about like the physicality of the role and the way that Whitney Peak plays Dakota that by the end of it I just liked.
Speaker 2: I was like, Dakota's Dakota.
Speaker 1: Better become the aunt to this kid. Yeah, because they're bonded for life.
Speaker 2: I at the end of the film, we do see Lisa's mother over the phone a couple of times. She at the end of the film, she's like, Hey, shut up, meet your grandson. Just over zoom, what's happen whatever. I wouldn't wanted to name it. I don't know what it sounded like, meet your son, name of son, and I didn't. They didn't do that. I could name it Henry after the storm that almost killed him. It would be my That's what I would do. But that's why I did kind of love the mother setting up doing dropping all the exposition.
Speaker 1: He went and became a poker player.
Speaker 2: He's the jerk who left his pregnant fiancee to become a professional poker player. And DJ after making you move a thousand miles away to his hometown. That's a sentence, right, what a horrible dude, what a horrible But you could this. I This film was made, fully made, and then sold to Netflix as a full film, I think, which surprised me because one of the one of the like points of a Netflix film is they keep on reiterating the plot several times and it does happen here. Jimon Hounds, who does at one point go like, we're we're heading up the I ninety five on a boat with the sharks in the water to go and save my knee. That's like halfway through the films. I wait, what's happening? I was I talking on the phone for the past half hour. Oh okay, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I feel like Netflix saw that and like, hey, yeah, we'll take this film. This this fulfillms our requirements.
Speaker 1: The opening expository dumps really worried me about the film because you and I have talked about unnecessary drama in shark movies before and this one doesn't have it. But I do love that we have an orphaned agoraphobic and then we have a pro very pregnant woman who was just left by her husband. And then we have three orphans who have abusive foster parents in it. So I was like, this is hitting the trifecta right now. But when yeah, when the mom's on the phone, when Dakota's watching the videos, and then when the three kid the guy's explaining that he's a foster parent to the three kids, and then like the check, but but get that check Like this is like but yeah, yeah, it's all very on the nose, so much expository dialogue. But then once it gets you know, it's kind of nice about knocking that out in the first five minutes. You can just get on with it. And I feel like that's what the movie does. And I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I first and a round. I wasn't that fast with the film, but watching I watched it the second time and know what was coming. I had a good time. I thought it was just kind of fine first around, but I like it. It's it's bumped up a little bit for me.
Speaker 1: And with that a Leah Brown, the girl like she's she was young furiosa one of the orphans.
Speaker 2: Yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's inside the Hedgehog three. She's in a movie called Whale Shark Jack.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds interesting.
Speaker 1: She's in a movie called Sting, which is really good. So oh by the guy who did a Beast.
Speaker 2: Of War.
Speaker 1: Directed Sting. So she's in that, and I know, I just yeah, she's good. I don't know how they got this little cast together, but I dig it like it's an odd little movie. It's not. It's a movie, right.
Speaker 2: What this.
Speaker 1: There's not much of There's two stories that don't connect.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm saying about it. It should have been. It feels like an anthology is missing a third or like, yeah, two TV episodes edited together. If they did, like the Storm Henry six episode mini series, each one following a different characters storyline through the storm, it could be interesting if they just did too and then mad a film.
Speaker 1: Out of it. I don't know, yeah, yeah, imagine pitching is to people. I got this movie thrash, South Carolina, flooded, pregnantly a gorf of an orphan, three orphans with foster parents. They get flooded, sharks attack, blood truck, Jamon hunts.
Speaker 2: When do they meet? How does how do they meet?
Speaker 1: Well? I got I have that. So two groups. Oh, so they're gonna intersect and and they're gonna team up and survive. No, no, they're never gonna meet. Are they connected.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get in the car and they're gonna drive off a ne're gonna kill the doll. Shock Is that gonna happen?
Speaker 1: How great would that be? Like like like they're they're about to die and then the three orphans come up and just wow.
Speaker 2: Run the shark truck get in.
Speaker 1: And it features a hard rain statue. Gag too or in hard rain, you know how deep it is because of the statue. Yeah, this is what this movie has that statue as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that truck driver was optimistic trying to beat the oncoming flood. He could see the flood comings like I can drive to the end of this road with my giant tanker truck and beat that and make that sharp corner. Optimism, true brass failure.
Speaker 1: Blood truck, blood truck. But yeah, I like the way the house. But you know what though, since this was filmed in a parking lot in Australia, I think it looks great. I like the visual effects. It kind of reminded me of Crawl a little bit, and I think what Tommy Workla is good at is. He knows how to like, he knows how to film a set piece, and I I think there's some really neat overhead shots when we see, you know, the afterbirth in the water, or the house with the the scene with the the shark swimming into the house through the doorframe. He I think he was thinking of a lot about style in this movie and wasn't worried about other things. But I also think he casts good actors, like the kid actors are experience, Whitney peak is good, Phoebe's good, Giman's always great, like multiple Oscar nominee. So they they give it weight, but it's just, yeah, I don't know. Other people are hating on this movie, but I think it's fun.
Speaker 2: I think it's fun too. I Mean, we like shark movies more than most people, so I feel like we're gonna like this more than most.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess because we watch a lot of shark movies we kind of appreciate Yeah, exactly. And it's fast, and you know that aside from the antagonist being the the horrifying foster parents, they're dealt with pretty quick and then from there it's just, hey, let's survive. Like, let's figure out things that aren't too crazy. So yeah, I like. I like the low relationship too between Whitney Peak and Phoebe and that house, like they kind of help each other and it's gotta get at some nuts though an agoraphobic. The way to get her way aggrieving agorophobic. To get her out of the house, she has to rescue a pregnant woman who's been attacked by sharks, and then she gives birth, and then she has to savor with you know, putting. I like when she put the little vibrating things in bags. If she has to swim across the water, it's you know, I guess that'll cure your agoraphobia.
Speaker 2: That's a deep Blue Sea comparison scene is hunting around the room looking for batteries and vibrating. Yes, that's a real like deep moment. And a shark in a kitchen being blown up in a kitchen, And yeah, so I like this movie. I like it too. I think it's getting an unfair rap and people should watch it and like it as much as we do.
Speaker 1: There's not much to rally around story wise because it's just so straightforward.
Speaker 2: But that's it's fine.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you this is the only movie you ever made where a nine month pregnant woman and agoraphobic, grieving agoraphobic and three orphan foster kids get the leads to fight sharks.
Speaker 2: And that's what's wrong with Hollywood today. So do you want to know how deep and how blue and how see? This film is? Oh gosh, so listeners, if you see your first time listening, welcome. Hello. We like all short films as much as this one. That's not true. There are something we really don't like, but you have to dig through our capital to find them. Whenever we cover a new film. Because this is Deep Blue Sy the podcast, I go through it and work out how deep the action takes place at, how blue everything on the screen is, and how much it takes place at C. Deep blue C is, of course, approximate fourteen and a half meters of probably seven and a half feet deep, about thirty one percent blue, and about eighty nine percent of it takes place at sea.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 2: Do you think thrash is deeper blue or more at sea than deeply sea?
Speaker 1: Okay, so when we're saying deep, the water's up on land, so are you counting.
Speaker 2: I'm basing this on where they are in reference to the water level around them. So if they're standing on a counter and the water level is the same height as that counter, they are at zero.
Speaker 1: Oh well it's not as deep, right, but you know what, Oh no, they're not as much sea because it takes about fifteen minutes to get the flood and so not as much as.
Speaker 2: Yeah with at sea, technically all of this water is sea water. But I took it. But I mean rivers are technically sea water if they're always all connected. So I took it as if they're outside of their house, they're at sea. If they're inside of their house, they're not at sea.
Speaker 1: Okay, not at sea. And now definitely not as blue. Her jacket's yellow. Not as blue that jacket.
Speaker 2: No, no jacket bothered me because she when she goes out initially to go get some food and has a pank attack, she's wearing a bright orange raincoat, and when she goes out later she's wearing a purple one. And I don't know why. I get, you can have two. I get you can have two raincoats, but we already met a raincoat in the film. We'll not just use the same one.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, I actually I have a heavy duty raincoat and then I just have a drizzle coat.
Speaker 2: The orange one looks pretty heavy duty, as did they both. Anyway, it's a it's a minor point, but yeah, so depth wise, oh sorry, what about death wise? This works out being about a meter up in the air or one point zero seven meters or three and a half feet up in the air blueness. About twelve percent of this is blue twelve point zero weight, so so deathwise, this is slightly higher up than Lake Mungo, slightly lower than Anaconda's The Hunt for the Blood Orchid blueless. This is slightly bluer than Ghost Shit, slightly less blue than Shark Knight three D. And at sea this works out being forty one percent at sea, which is slightly more less. It's seed that Shark Attack are slightly more a c than Hot Spring Shark Attack. Great favorite film.
Speaker 1: I own it, and every time I look at it, I smile like I'm like, oh, hi, like it just makes me happy to see Hot Spring Shark Attack.
Speaker 2: It's a good time and we like.
Speaker 1: This movie more than others. And listen, I know that people can be annoyed that the story don't intersect, and I don't know, I just feel like.
Speaker 2: It would have been better if they did, and it would have felt more like a film if there was some kind of connection at some point, if they did something to say the other people will vice versa. I don't know, what, is it.
Speaker 1: A good film? No? Is it eighty minutes with some fun shots and good performances and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's eighty minutes with like ten of them at credits, So yeah, that's awesome. But Okay, Thematically thematically deeper Blue Remortsy are they are these characters more rich backstory?
Speaker 1: I think Whitney's going through it.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I think they're surviving, and I think the orphans like the orphans, the three kids are finding depth in their relationship. They trust each other and they are worried about each other, and you know, they survived the system. I think what Whitney Peaks going through is it's interesting. She's really forcing herself out of her comfort zone and doing a good job. And you know, I think Phoebe with the kid she wants. Yeah, I would say this movie is more thematically deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Hewnse's got a backstory. He felt like a character from Deep cy I can see him being being like working on a quatica. It just happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, Blue in Deep Rising, and we love Deep Rising to Deep Rising.
Speaker 2: We should cover Deep Pricing again. I could just watch it again. We have to cover it again. Great movie, all about Blue with these characters sadder than the characters I think at the start, Dakota definitely is not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and also I mean Phoebe's been left and her mom's terrible, and then the three kids, they're in a terrible living situation.
Speaker 2: They're like having having fun at the start, jumping off of a tree. But yeah, the home situation is not good.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I would say it's more blue as well. Yeah, I think that's because they're all going through it.
Speaker 2: And like the kids happiest moments when they're chanting, but that's like f their stepdad and then he courts.
Speaker 1: Back, which is amazing, and then they kill him and then they kill them. Yes, but yeah, listen, these kids are doing the best they can, but they don't eat. Like they're in a bad situation, so they like at least they have each other, but it's a bad situation. So yeah, like that's a lot of weight for children to have, Like that's not good for kids. Kids should be kids. And so yeah, I'm gonna say it's more blue.
Speaker 2: Okay, And is it more at sea? The character's more lost. I feel like Lisa early on is very lost. Oh yeah, she has no idea. She's stuck. She has no idea how to get off of where she is, out of any bo And Dakota seems lost metaphorically in her life. She seems to be like spinning around a little bit of a spiral. And the kids all seem not much stuck than kids. Yeah, but I think so, I think these are definitely more lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Phoebe's got decisions to make. And if that dude tries to come back and the baby, I'm sorry, don't take them because he wasn't there during a sharp berth. So yeah, I want to see where you should have shown up.
Speaker 2: He should have come in at the end, like least I'm sorry ian by Shock.
Speaker 1: I just knew who should have been? Who's that boyfriend from Midsummer and like free fire Jack something? Yeah Jack Rayner just shows up, hey, girl, like real country accent. I'm so sorrow left you, and then Nelly bites his head off. He's like, you want to hear me play? Here's my new here's my latest CDM track. Sorry he's killed.
Speaker 2: What he would he do? DJ tracks about playing poker? Somehow I couldn't possibly do that? Great ooh house. Did you watch Pluribus?
Speaker 1: I didn't watch.
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful PoCA scene and Pluribus great. Curist is good. You should you should, you should watch if you get a chance. I just we had Apple plus Apple TV bus trial that finished last Friday, and I've just binge watched half of the season of Plurbus on the train on one Traine and it was just sponsored by Pluribus, just to get it right now. It's good. It's a good time. Uh cool, Okay, I think I think that's it for for Thrash. You like the title Thrash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good title. It works. Sharks like meat Dynamite.
Speaker 2: I don't know i'd watched meat dynamite is.
Speaker 1: A dynamite meat or meat dynamite.
Speaker 2: I think it's dynamat. I think it's what it is. Uh.
Speaker 1: It's like your recent Deep Blues episodehere you said something really good about Ireland.
Speaker 2: Oh American Pailand. Yeah, yeah, but I think I said that rough with the say. I think the guest m J. I think he said it at the same time. So I can't take all the correct legends. But I may have just me saying who knows that I have control? It's my shirt, it's.
Speaker 1: My show, dang it, it's my show.
Speaker 2: I'm always rat American past.
Speaker 1: Fifteen dollars a month for this taking care of Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll do it for deep. I think that any plug smoke.
Speaker 1: I am really tired of Southern accents. Jay, I just I am. It's just watching you know, maybe maybe people know like that that's how people feeling, like American actor goes over to Britain and does the accent. But I'm so tired of the easiest non Southern actors. But it's the easiest to fall in the caricature though, Like I think that's just it's just all going down air there, slap it and you're like what like what like just you didn't even try, Like just yeah, I got a vocal coat.
Speaker 2: It's easy to do, it's easy to fool into.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and so it's like I got a vocal coach for this movie, and like you watch it, you're like, Wow, you're supposed to be more genteel, more clipped. Do you not listen? Just I am kind of annoyed by terrible Southern accents.
Speaker 2: Because like, you're you're from the South, You're from Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't sound like clos you know, you know, you're.
Speaker 1: Just like what, who are you? No, I'm just it's yeah, it's such a caricature, and so it does get annoying. But also in this movie, I just kept chuckling about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they really lean into it. It's parody in this one.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what like, they don't lean into it like what, they just fall into it.
Speaker 2: They just they face into it. They chip a tooth on it on the way down.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I joined a Facebook group recently called something like fin Flicks or something like that. It's not fin Flix. That'sn't in shot podcast, but it's like it's like Fantastic flicks is you know, it's Shark movie Facebook group Sharp Movie Appreciation. Right, a friend of the show, Kevin Kolp, is a member, So hey, I'll join it. And I've had to leave that group because people aren't kind to this film or any film. It seems people will put a post in there that's like, pick one of these shark films, like like you do with with MF Hey, pick two. People like pick one of these and the like people see the shadows is down Jaws and everyone will be like jos, you have to pick Jers. Jaws is the only answer. Joe's is the best, the best one's Jaws. And then like trailers came up for Thrash, but I'm looking forward to this and the second comment is like, there's only one sharp fing it's yours. People coming like this it's I mean, it'll be fine, but it's not gonna be Jaws, is it? And that's every comment as people like, this film is not yours, so I have to leave that great.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna be better than the one of the greatest films ever made.
Speaker 2: And that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just shouldn't be allowed.
Speaker 1: This. This movie is not as good as the greatest movie ever made. Trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we talked about before, like its calling it thrash as a bold move. Yeah, it's bad more like trash.
Speaker 1: Don't care. Man, I really like the code in this movie. I like the character. She's cool and I liked I love when she cuts Phoebe out of the car. I think the direction in the performance is very good. This is a.
Speaker 2: Standard chef's knife, not even a serrated one. She just took a big knife and cut a tree with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you know what though, this kid's was a kid, but she's like twenty and she like prepared the best she could to go do something, and I liked it. It was like a nice little scene and I thought the performance was good.
Speaker 2: So she did better than the two guys who were in a boat who were like, yeah, see, oh it didn't need help. Let's get out of the boat and go Hey, go back for the boat case. Okay, I'll get out of the boat first and then I'll wait through instead of getting back into the boat.
Speaker 1: The convertible top and you know, get him out of there. But anything to plug. I did a thing with Jase Serano on his good Movie thing, so go read about it. I figured all the questions asking Christopher Nolan films, and then I have another thing going with him and another thing and then go to movies on the Flakes. Listen to the podcast. We just dropped episode seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome, I was that Overboard?
Speaker 1: Overboard? Yeah, yeah, good discussion. We recorded about thirty minutes we realized we weren't recording, had to start over, and it's still just.
Speaker 2: As good, just like we did before we started twinning today.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but I caught that during the intro.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen Overboard yet, but it is on the list of trust to cover one day on this show because it's by a C. I think his boat's in it.
Speaker 1: Maybe that that movie does not work without Han and Russell together they make it wonderful, like they're great in that movie.
Speaker 2: Did you see the remake with Faris and you that s it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of crazy, yes, and it's horrible, and it's really odd because the first Overboard, yes, it's problematic, but also takes place in a rom com land where everybody lies in rom coms, like everyone's full of crap in rom com world, and so it's normal by that standard. But this one, she meets a guy and then she's like, has daughters, and she's like, I'm gonna bring home this stranger to like be with my daughters, and you're just you're like, why did you guys? Do this, like why it doesn't make it better and it hurts and these aren't Goldie Han like Goldie Hana too. I love Anna Faris, but goldiehanad like two Oscar nominations by the time she did this, and Kurt Russell is like Kurt Russell, so it it just doesn't work and it's like a really odd one. I by don't do it.
Speaker 2: I'm not getting to. Do you think they gonna make a sequel to Thrash because they have the bit at the end where the computer guy is like, oh no, there's another stub coming.
Speaker 1: I mean it's doing well on Netflix. That's all you need. If they're happy, and it's gonna keep playing well, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we'll see uh life versus film dot com. With my personal site posts there, there's like my review of the year went up good and you can follow this show all over deep all over, deep all over social media at deep blue spot dot email us deep pot at gmail dot com. I will have another new new release coming soon with Renny Harlan's Deep Water All being well, but next week will be Anaconda three offspring that's coming next week, so look out for that one. Hooray. But as for three, I have been Jake klewtt Mark.
Speaker 1: Meat, meat Waitnal meat half myre well.
Speaker 2: Deep Blue.
Speaker 3: See you next week. St.