Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome back to SOS Stories of Survivors. I'm your host, Serena Dansker, and today we are going to meet the survivor who walked out of an unhealthy marriage and is squared up in family court and is now shaking the pillars of Connecticut's law so that no one else has to fight alone. This is Lisa Pennycoush and this is SOS Stories of Survivors. Welcome Lisa.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Serena.
Speaker 1: I thank you so much for being here. And your story is one that resonates so deeply with me. It's such an important topic. So I just want to dive right in, and let's start by talking about your background, where you grew up, what you did for a living.
Speaker 2: Sure, yes, I grew up. I was born in New York City and lived in Stamford, Connecticut in my formative years. I call it from when I was ten years old through high school. And you know, I grew up like a lot of us did in the eighties, running around our neighborhoods with friends. And I went to college in Philadelphia, and then I launched into a career in the music and entertainment business in your city, that's exciting. It is.
Speaker 1: Tell me about that.
Speaker 2: When I left, I just went door knocking to get jobs and sales and advertising like I was told I should do. And I ended up walking into Tavern on the Green one day and they needed an event person there and so ended up working with the owner, Warner Leroy, who was the son of Mervin Leroy, who was the director of uh the Wizard of oz Oh.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I worked with him for three years and it was very exciting, and through him I met other people and realized I wanted to do special events and ended up at Roseland Ballroom in New York City.
Speaker 1: Wow. That must have been an amazing time. Now, you know, you're busy, you're working, you're launching your career. Tell me how, you know, how.
Speaker 2: Did you meet your your ex? I actually met him right when I graduated college, really before I launched my you know, got into my career, and we started dating and we ended up dating on and off for seven years until we got married. So there were there were a few stretches in there, even for a year at one point.
Speaker 1: So you had like this this this kind of a whirlwind romance, you know, And and there were some stretches where you went back and fourth where they're red flags that you know.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately for those of us back then, we didn't have terms like that. You know, we didn't know about red flags. We didn't know about things to look out for. Nobody talked about this. You'd say, you know, he wasn't being very nice, or he didn't call and he said he would. There was no such thing as ghosting, or you know, there's so much more information today.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I know. I mean I think back to relationships that I had, and you know, just you you learned by trial and error back then. And uh, and sometimes when you're when you're caught up in the moment and you're caught in love, you know, you overlook things too. You don't see sometimes what's right in front of you. So you're in this worlwind relationship. He pops the question. You say, yes, so how does that go down?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean we had we'd broken up a few different times, and and when we got back together, I was a little bit older, twenty eight, twenty nine, and we ended up going to Europe and he asked me in Paris, Yeah, yeah, it was and you know, with the back and forth. It was really interesting. You know, people today talk about your gut feeling and your instincts, and you know, I had a lot of those feelings. But I was taken over by this fairy tale and the idea, you know, the words that people use today, love bombing and coming in and saying, you know, you're so amazing and we're in love. And it seemed so magical. And the moments that seemed magical were and the moments that weren't weren't. So I was caught up in that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's and I can see that happening so easily, you know, just when you're when you are in love, even when you get that that feeling in your gut that something is not right, but we push it away. We don't listen to it too often. So you had that feeling, I did, yeah, And you just said, oh, it's probably just.
Speaker 2: Nerves, I did, you know? Yeah, I mean there were a lot of things that happened even between being engaged and getting married, and I just pushed it away.
Speaker 1: Well, and a lot of us do, you know, And then I sometimes you have to learn by fire, you know, and you know when you figure things out that geez, you know, I fonally I would have paid attention to that, to that inner that inner voice that tries to steer you I call your guardian angel.
Speaker 2: Maybe right. I mean, it's amazing again with all the information today and what I've learned since I walked away twelve years ago.
Speaker 1: So yeah, let's talk about that. What when did you first realize, you know, that.
Speaker 2: This was not the relationship for you, not the relationship that I necessarily thought it was. Uh, you know it it was evolving over years. But and you know, I know, people in different relationships see things differently. And I call it sort of a spectrum of relationships because you have people who are in very abuse of relationships where there's physical violence, and then you have other parts of you know, relationships where it's just people are arguing or it's psychological, and so it's really hard to define unless it's obvious.
Speaker 1: How long were you married for?
Speaker 2: Well, we got married in nineteen ninety seven, so officially nineteen years, but it took a few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like how long until you said, you know what, Well did you go for did you go to therapy?
Speaker 2: Oh? Therapy, lots of therapy. It was lots of therapy.
Speaker 1: Was he willing to go with you to therapy? Sometimes?
Speaker 2: Sometimes? And in my mind, I was never going to get divorced. It just wasn't an option. I grew up in a family of you know, my mother had gotten divorced my father, and although it didn't look like this exactly, I just was never going to do it. So I tried everything. And you had children, had three children right away?
Speaker 1: Or did you wait?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we waited a couple of years or so, and I was involved. I had my career two and so, you know, living in New York City, and the career that I had, I was very busy. I was in the entertainment business and music business. So I was very distracted, and you can do that in New York City. So it was easy not to pay attention to a lot of things. And I had the kids, and I had family, and then my mother got sick and she passed away, and so it was there was a lot of other things happening where I didn't have to pay attention so much until we moved to Connecticut.
Speaker 1: So what was the catalyst to move to Connecticut?
Speaker 2: My mother, I'd stopped working after our second child. It was just a lot My job was a twenty four to seven job. And I'm one hundred and fifty percent person. So when I had my kids, I was doing that one hundred and fifty percent was doing my job, and I just I said, they need to take a break to focus on being a mom.
Speaker 1: Oh that's beautiful. It's being a mom's a full time job.
Speaker 2: Full time job. And so I did that. And then when my mother got sick a couple of years later or so, we ended up moving out after three kids. We weren't we didn't have the money, and we weren't going to put our kids in private school in New York City. They were in public school. That was great, but we ended up moving out of the city for more space and for the school system.
Speaker 1: Right right, So you're in Connecticut. You get a house in the burbs, if you will.
Speaker 2: And ull traumatizing for me moving out of New York City.
Speaker 1: It took a while, but you're from there, so you kind of went back to your roots. You know, how did your kids were? They were they older? Are they still young?
Speaker 2: They were ten, seven and three, Okay, So there was a lot of running around and a lot of you know, a lot to acclimate too, and honestly, you know, when you're sitting in silence, you know, a lot of things come to light.
Speaker 1: So that's when you started to realize that maybe this was not what you signed up for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a lot of things came to light and things started changing and looking very different over the next few years.
Speaker 1: I have to ask you, you know, you know someone who's been in a relationship where you know it's not awez roses and you have gone to therapy, what was your you know, your aha moment that said, you know, that made you decide this is enough. Was there a single catalyst or a bunch of small things that set off maybe some silent alarms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there were a few things I could say. I I found some text messages that were a little alarming, and I ended up investigating that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there were things that came up that, you know, cross lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you know, it's so crazy because many of our listeners hear the words dometic abuse and they picture bruises. You've said, you know, sometimes the deepest scars are invisible, and I know, having gone through grief that you know a lot of times people wear their scars on the outside. But some of the most emotional and traumatic scars are worn on the inside where people can't see it. And can you just describe what coercive control is and inn everyday term so our listeners can kind of understand because I know you've done so much research out there, you know, and you don't speak specifically about yourself, but about the women that you've come in contact with and talked to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the information that has come into my world. I am a knowledgeist, power person, so I've done a lot of research over the last several years. I didn't understand really what my life looked like, what was happening around it, and even from parts of my childhood. You know, people don't understand coercive control and what that is is. It's terminology like manipulation and controlling behaviors. And this could be from your boss, this could be from a parent, this could be from a spouse, and and it looks different on so many counts, which is what I talked about, the spectrum of behavior and in relationships and so so manipulation and control certain things like that people don't understand. You say, oh, they're just ignoring me, or we're not communicating well or they're just telling me what I can and can't do with our money financial and so there's financial abuse some relationships where people say there are only allot a certain amount of money every week, and they start to believe that certain situations are normal. Yes, And as you're living through them month after month, year after year, it's confusing because, and I've talked to a lot of different women, you start to believe this is the norm. And people have likened it to putting a frog in water on a slow boil on the stove, and after a while, the frog gets used to this and they slowly just die and it's not like, you know, people used to put a lobster in a boiling pot of water and they would die instantly, and that seems very traumatic and sudden. And when you're doing it like that and it's a slow boil.
Speaker 1: You don't even realize it's happening, realize it. You know, it's crazy because when I was a financial advisor before I became a mental health advocate, and I cannot tell you the amount of women that would come into my office who knew nothing about finances when their husbands would die, especially at the older generation, they didn't even know how to write a check, not that we write checks anymore. I mean everything was auto made it, but just the simple you know, financial things. They just left everything to the man and they had no clue as to whether they had anything or you know, And it was shocking to me how many women. And I made it my business to teach people this is the ABCS of investing. This is what you have to know. You have to understand, you know how to It's like the business. You are the CEO of you. You have to take care of you. So that I and we.
Speaker 2: Grew up in a really unusual time, those of us who grew up in the seventies and eighties, especially because we had the fifties and sixties where this was the norm, where the men took care of everything, the women stayed at home and made dinner, and they didn't really have any knowledge. I mean, think about and I don't know the exact dates, but I think it was nineteen seventy five or when women were first allowed to use a credit card. And this is after during the sexual Revolution, when people were you know, peace.
Speaker 1: Love and.
Speaker 2: Traveling around and women were free spirited. But it wasn't necessarily like that. And it certainly wasn't always like that, And so for those of us growing up in the eighties, this was the norm that boys and girls. We went out and we could do whatever we wanted. We went to college, and we didn't really think about this. But I believe that in the background of all of this, the men and the patriarchal mindset. It's a mindset. It's not just men, it could be women too, but it is a mindset that mostly the men had the power over finances, over relationship, over government, over a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: You know, that's so true because growing up I was in the financial business and it was mostly a male dominated business where you know, the financial advisors were mostly men. And I remember I went in Earl Lynch and I said, I want to be a financial advisor when I got out of college, and you know, the manager looks at Alaska, you should be an assistant, a secretary. You know you'll be good at that, And so of course I'm like, okay, you know, not realizing, and after a couple of years of that, I realized, no, I am smart. I know what I'm doing. I went out and I got my licensing and I went on my own and I became an independent financial advisor, and because you could, we were breaking down walls in the ninety It took us a while, but you know, let's talk about that, because you know, you've spoken about the family court and the labyrinth that it is to get through. So here you are, you're recognizing there's things are not right. You want to get out of this marriage. But how did the courtroom? How did the family court in Connecticut? How did that work with you? How did that feel compared to the battlefield you were fighting just in your own home as well, right, you know, when you had kids too, so you're dealing with all of that on top of.
Speaker 2: This, right, I mean, it's already traumatic and difficult enough to say that you want to end your marriage and your relationship, knowing what it's going to be like for the children. I mean, you know, I was in therapy. I was trying to get guidance through it and to do the best thing. And I did grow up with my mom and dad divorce, and I had a stepfather, and not that it was always easy, but our in laws, my grandparents on all sides, we would all go to each other's holidays, and again it wasn't always easy, but this is the way it was. In my grandmother's home. She would have my cousin's mother even though they were doing so that was the norm to me. You know, I know this was going to be difficult, but we'll work together and we'll make it okay for the kids. And so as this, I understand the first several months or a year or two can be difficult and challenging. Yeah, but what I was not prepared for what was to come. So we got attorneys, backtruck. We had a mediator because I wanted to do this a nice way and you know, in a way that would be as amicable as possible. And it was anything but yeah, shocking, And we each hired attorneys and we went to court, and I remember going several times over the course of the first year and two saying, well, we've got the truth and we've got the facts, and there is nothing else. And that used to be my mantra, there's nothing else. This is a court of law, and here we go, and I'm in my twelfth year dealing with truth and facts and it is dystopy. And what I've come to realize is happening in the family courts and what I've been through and as I've opened up my world and gained knowledge into this. What is happening in Connecticut, what is happening in every state, and what is happening around the world is shocking and I wouldn't have believed it, I suppose unless I was dealing with it myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you give us, like some some highlights on on that. What are you saying? What shocking? What is what is it like when you're when you're in this situation.
Speaker 2: You know, standing in a courtroom and presenting documents and presenting information to someone who is a layman like myself, or at least I was. I'm an honorary attorney at this point, but someone who is dealing with this. You see what's laid out in front of you, but what the judges are handing back as orders and how they are processing the information about you and about your children, and the situation comes back as twisted narrative and twisted orders. So you're saying, here's what's happened, here are the numbers and the information, and we need to process this so we can get divorced and move along. And let's say the other side is presenting different information to me. You're thinking, this is a judge and they're there to assess the information with law and order behind them and to give an order and a path ahead that makes sense, that is structured in law, constitutional law, and due process, which means it's due process. You are allowed a specific process that is outlined.
Speaker 1: Well, there are laws. There's laws that you are entitled to child support. You're in child you know, I you know, I don't know the numbers or anything like that, but I know generally from friends or families that have got it. There there's alimony that would be paid, there's child support at least while the kids are young, or maybe there's a college fund that gets set up for the children so that they're taken care of for college. So you're telling me that it's not that cutton dry. It's not.
Speaker 2: I suppose in certain situations it is cut and dry. But when you're dealing with course of control, and again that can come from certain parties involved. It can come from attorneys, and then they bring in other parties, therapists, psychological evaluators, guardian at items that are supposed to be helping the children, and sometimes there is CPS which are government agencies. So in many cases, not just mine, but in many cases, you are now dealing with with four or five, six, seven agencies and people.
Speaker 1: And you're paying for this attorney while you're doing all of that.
Speaker 2: Well, you're paying for almost all of them.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? No?
Speaker 2: And so you know they're telling you or you're ordered to do these things, and you I didn't understand. I just you're doing what you're being told to do, and you're thinking, Okay, we're going to be resolving this soon. And then all of a sudden, and again I'm not alone in this arena. You are finding your months and years into this, and you're talking tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of dollars that most people don't have, that we didn't I didn't have, and and so.
Speaker 1: You're telling me that, like, Okay, if I go out and I shoot the neighbor, not that I ever would do that, but what I you know, and I had no money, I would go to court and I would be appointed an attorney, that's right. But if I were, and I never would do this either. I'm married thirty one years happily, thank god. But if I were to get divorced from my husband, and I found myself in a situation where I needed an attorney. I just I have to pay for that, even if I'm don't have the money or the wherewithal to handle it. Maybe I'm busy working three jobs supporting my baby. I'm just at the mercy of the person I want to get away from.
Speaker 2: You're at the mercy of this what we call a corrupt court system, where there it is there are people who are yielding power, and there is money going around. And again, I'm twelve years into this, and I have a lot of knowledge. I have a lot of I've cultivated an enormous amount many relationships of experts in this field in Connecticut, in the US and globally, so that now I understand how a lot of this is happening. But yet I'm sitting here and I still can't make it stop in my very own case. And so it is really hard to describe how it's all happening, although every day there's more information coming out as to how it's taking place. And it really is the family court, because criminal court, civil court, they are bound by different structures and laws, because they're a jury of our peers, which is what we should have in this court. You have one person, one judge, who gets to make decisions. They are not trained, most of them are not trained in domestic abuse. They're not trained in psychology.
Speaker 1: What about the children? So let's let's let's back up a little bit. So here you are, you're battling the court system. You're trying to keep your children on a healthy path at school. You're for taking them away. Are you still living with your husband because finances are or have you pulled out and are now trying to you know, I mean, I guess it goes both ways, you know, depending on.
Speaker 2: What you can forward to do well, it doesn't. It depends on who your judges, who your attorneys are, and what your basic knowledge is. And in our case, we were ordered to do this thing called bird nesting, and it's in the name of the best interest of the children. So they stay in the family home and each of you is ordered to go find another place to live during while the other person has their parenting time. So I was for a year almost I was staying in hotels, I was staying on family and friends couches.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And you could imagine this as a mother of three children, then watching me pack up my bag on every other weekend and every other Wednesday, and having to figure out where I was staying and making sure the kids felt okay about this?
Speaker 1: How can they? I mean, who makes these rules? That's that's insane.
Speaker 2: That's part of this is that there are no rules and it is very random. And you know, someone like me, I mean, I consider myself a very strong person, right and I'm resilient and I've been through a lot in my life. And there are others who who who cannot deal with this. I mean, I have moms calling me literally every day, sobbing, and they're so forlorn and you're trying to keep them from doing something drastic because they feel helpless.
Speaker 1: And and that brings me that you know, you're going through all of this, and you know, just regular life, you go through ups and downs and highs and lows, and your kids go through things. And so when you're at your lowest, what or who keeps that pilot light of hope burning for you?
Speaker 2: You know, there are a lot of different ways of dealing with it. Everybody deals with it differently. For me, I had a therapist and I just thought I don't have a choice. I need to make this right. I need to do this for me and my kids. And I had little guardian angels and I started doing I started meditating, and you know, you have a couple of people that are your you know, I had a couple of good friends and family that were by my side.
Speaker 1: Thank god, thank god you had a support system. I think now or then, or all of it more than ever, you need that support system. You need to have, you know, places to go to to talk about these things. Now, I did do an interview with a woman, doctor Mohatta, who talked a little bit about how hard it was when you know, thirty years ago, when she went through a similar situation, and how she volunteers and tries to help people as a psychologist. But I know that you've founded a nonprofit organization called Rock the Walls and this wasn't just like a personal victory or something. It's a lifeline that you're creating. Can you talk about it, how the idea sparked and what, Yes, you know, yeah, talk about all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. Again, I've been dealing with this for twelve years and it's taken different turns, and again, really dystoping to me because I think, how is it that I'm dealing with this for so long? And people have said to me, how are you still in court? Why are you still dealing with the divorce? And I said, I've been divorced since twenty sixteen, but this is financial and litigation. And so right before COVID, I was driving around, or it was actually during COVID, I was driving around with my father, who came to visit. Been just the most incredible support in every way for us, financially and spiritually and emotionally. I would never have been able to get through this without him. And we were driving around together one day and we were talking about how we can help people and how we can get out of this. And we started talking about what we can do to help and what I can do to help, and I used, I'd say, what would have helped me all of these years? Yes, And what would have helped me is finding other support and knowing there were other people out there, which I had now started to find because I thought I was alone. And I said, what if there was a place to go to get all the information that I needed that I'm just starting to find googling for hours and hours and how could I save this time so that someone could get help right away? Like, and we started talking and we said, you know, a resource hub and also a space where people could come. And we were driving down near the water in Connecticut and we saw a big, beautiful house and property and we said, we would love to have a place like this where any mom with her children could come for respite, for help, for guidance.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, and stun go and spend their weekends and wednesdays exactly.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, and a place for kids for support and which is critical, it's and a lot of this really does come back to the kids. And you know, as moms especially, we put so much outside of ourselves for our children, right and we exhaust you know, we all know it's a twenty four hour day job. You know, we don't get weekends off. You don't get nights off when they're sick or when they need help. And you know, people say, you're only as happy as your most unhappy child, and so this is what we do. And then we're dealing with all of this on the outside.
Speaker 1: So your nonprofit is building, So your building is you're it's a it's you're building a one stop digital portal so survivors don't have to google in the dark anymore. And I think that is so unbelievably brilliant and it's so native in today's world. And I know that, you know, you're in the process of building it, and during this time, you've you know, assembled court watchers volunteers. Can you talk about those people who sit in hearings for proceedings and a little background on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that will be the first program that we start when we start getting funding and people start donating. Really, yeah, it was part of a big change in my case last year after eleven years, I started how having people come in, Advocates and people who are interested in the law and what was actually happening in family court come in and what we call court watch or observe cases in family court because it's different in every state. But you are sitting in this courtroom by yourself, and yes there are transcripts, but there are no videos, and there's nobody there taking take there. There's nobody accounting for what's being said, what's being done, and how it's being done. So when you have somebody coming and sitting there just being an observer witness taking notes and they see things that are not right and not correct. Well, then everybody, everybody is on the stand, including the judges, including the attorneys, and we in this world, across the country, have been seen movement in this. So whether you have one person or you have ten, it's critical because you can't dispute what a witness and you can, but you can't dispute what an impartial witness states. Yes, and the notes they're taking well.
Speaker 1: And that brings me. I remember when I was in college, I took a law class and one of the part of the curriculum was you had to go to the local court and you had to sit in on a court case. Yes, now, wouldn't that be brilliant if we get all these college kids going in and seeing what goes on.
Speaker 2: I actually had a friend who called me who knew what I was doing, who said her daughter was sitting in last year taking she was a law student and they centered a family court hearing in Maryland and she observed this, and I said, this needs to be what every court And so that is a program and people are doing it. And so somebody came and did that in my case, and what she observed was was unbelievable, and she on her own went to Connecticut judiciary and she filed her own report unbeknownst to me. Wow, because she was just doing this on her own. And honestly, what I saw in my very own cases past year, it just solidified what I knew needed to be done and and to this point, what she did legally should have been adhere to and should have made movement. And sixteen months later after she sat in that courtroom, it still hasn't made a shift in my case.
Speaker 1: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can have a whole, but that is the truth. And so what Rock the Walls is going to do is bringing what I really am wanting to do, not reinvent any wheel, to bring everything under one umbrella, the brilliant voices, all of the brilliant men and women, mostly women, but there are men and women, the children's voices, people into one space. So you don't have to google, and you don't have to go searching. So if you need a support group in the middle of Minnesota, I want you to be able to go to Rock the Walls and find that that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Now you've been lobbying really hard for Jennifer's Law. Now, for those of you that live in a cave like I sometimes do, Jennifer Dulo's was a Connecticut mom who was going through a really tough divorce and her ex husband was responsible for her death. I think he was. I think he was, yeah, and then I think he died before maybe he was not. He killed himself before he was convicted or after yeah, before, but his girlfriend I think got convicted. But anyway, so it's called Jennifer's.
Speaker 2: Law, and it is also based on another Jennifer, Jennifer Ignano, who was murdered in front of her children, oh, several years ago. So it is called Jennifer's Law with an s aposters because it's it's it's for both of them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing. Yes, And so they're expanding Connecticut's definition of abuse, which is really crucial. Can you tell me a little bit about the bill that you're championing and maybe about that. I think there's a new book that just came out.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well, so, so Jennifer's Law was actually put into place two or three years ago, and you know, here's here's the issue. Jennifer's law talks about course of control, and when it first came out, people said, attorneys that I know, said, it has no teeth. And the truth of the matter is there are laws already in place. For example, perjury is a Class D felony, so you would think one would think, well, if someone perjures themselves, well they are, they.
Speaker 1: Should have consequences.
Speaker 2: Consequences of being you know, there's it's a you are, it's a felonise. You're breaking the law. And if I could tell you that most of the most egregious situations that we all deal with is perjury, I and I could say this very confidently, have never perjured myself, which is why it's easy for me to go and give testimony because I'm telling my truth. But when someone goes and they lie on the stand and they perjure themselves in family court, I can tell you that most of the time on the other side of things, it is ignored. It is ignored. Just like these laws perjury, the Constitution are due process rights. There are amendments, there are statutes, and there are case law. And many of us go in fighting year after year screaming about these laws, and they are ignored because we don't have a jury of our peers because nobody really has to listen. And at the end of the day, family court is an administrative court. And so I circle back to these laws. We have Jennifer's Law and it's about course of control, and many of us have tried to utilize Jennifer's Law in our cases and they're dismissed. It's very simply dismissed. And there's a law called Caden's Law which all the states are trying to enact, which we're trying to bring Connecticut, and it is it's a law after a little girl in who was murdered by her abusive parent in Pennsylvania, and the judges allowed this child to go and have visitation with her father. He was a documented abuser. He had been arrested many times. And part of the issue is that this happened way too often and it's not covered by the media, so most people don't understand. It's just a larger part of all the work that many of us are doing to shine a light on this.
Speaker 1: I know you said there was a new book that came out shining a Light on Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Dulos Yes by rich Cohen Rich Cohen and it's called uh Murder and Murder in the Dollhouse. And he just wrote this book a few just came out a few weeks ago, and it is a story about Jennifer Dulos who was murdered a couple of towns over in New Canaan in Connecticut, and it got a lot of national spotlight because she and her husband were Ivy League. You know, it was a bigger case because when you shine a light on these bigger names and cases and people who have a lot of money, the media seems to cover that. And of course this happens every single day, but this book seems to be something he is exposing what is happening good in Connecticut and very specifically in Stamford Family Court. Wow, which is very interesting and a lot of us will be talking about this in the next in the coming months.
Speaker 1: Now. I know you're from Connecticut as I am, but I how are the laws different like maybe in other states like Arizona.
Speaker 2: Well, you know again, and people tend to really not understand this, and I didn't. It's not about the laws, it's how they're being enforced and enacted. So what's been happening in Arizona. You actually have some good people behind the laws, judiciary, legislation, and they understand and people have been so forceful about what is going on in family court. They've been having hearings in the last couple of months, and people have been giving testimony, men and women, protective parents and children have been coming in and giving testimony, and it's all public. It's all on social media. And I have been watching this and completely blown away by this testimony and what they're saying very loudly about the family courts in the United States. Can't you can't block this out, you can't turn it off. And it's happening justice past week in Idaho, and it's happening in other states. So I have been trying to contact many different people and administrators in Connecticut in the past few weeks and letting them know, wow, you know, we have an opportunity here in Connecticut to be on the right side of this, to be one of these states, because if they heard the testimony of a lot of the protective parents, mostly mothers, but protective parents here in our state, and the children who have aged out who want to come and give their hear their have their voices heard and give testimony. Uh, they have an opportunity to do this.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, It's amazingly so you are breaking down.
Speaker 2: The walls, you know, you know, alongside all of these other incredible voices. Really wow.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna make like a situation here if you had a magic wand let's just say, for your Rock the Walls Foundation, and if you could, you know, if paint a picture for us, if a survivor clicks on it at two am, what are you hoping when when this is all what she will feel in that instant.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that anyone who is you know, uncertain about their relationship. I'm shifted this a little in the last year that I initially launched Rock the Walls because the initially was about you know, victims of abuse, but honestly, not everybody understands that they are dealing with a situation that is abusive, right because people, you know, that's a nuanced term. And what I want people is to be able to come to this space when they're feeling uncomfortable about their relationship uncertain and so many people are today with dating and dating apps. So I want someone to be able to come here from the beginning to navigate healthy relationships. So when they come to rock the walls, they can start out by saying, what is a healthy relationship? What does it look like when your partner does ABC or D. Can I meet up with other people in my area that I can talk to? Can I find a safe space? Can I read a book that makes sense? Who do I follow online? How do I join a group? What if somebody wants to help and also be supportive? What if you're a parent, or sibling or a friend and they want to know how to help somebody going through this. I want everyone to go to this space and my magic wand is I'd like to be done with my case so I can focus on this and what when you ask me how this started? My background is in music and entertainment, and to me, music has been a part of my life since the day I was born. Like many of us, since you know, our mothers would sing lullabies to us, and from that to the music from our childhood, from our formative years, from when we're out, you know, living from our sad moments to our most powerful moments. Music is there for most of us, and for me it's played a huge role and so it is the universal language. You know, I'm speaking today, but not everybody cares what I have to say, but they will listen to people who are out there, who've written about abuse, who sung about it, from to Christina Aguilera, and there are a lot of voices out there that people listen to. So what I want to do is get those people and these voices on stage, yes, and bring them into one space so that they can tell the story that thousands and thousands of us need them to tell, yes, and so that we can rock the walls and rock the stage and get this information out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, because those court systems need to be rattled, they really do.
Speaker 2: And people need to understand because it is your neighbor. You know, you're walking down the street. It is happening in every neighborhood. It is happening in every town. It is happen in every state, It is happening in every country. Wow, it is.
Speaker 1: That's crazy crazy. Do you have you heard from someone whose life changed because of your advocacy? You know.
Speaker 2: I can say, because I've done the research. Right now, I could say my life is changing because of the brilliant, brilliant other women, mostly women there are some men who are in this space who are changing lives everywhere, and I feel really blessed to be part of this circle now and just in Connecticut. What I'm trying to do right now is bring a lot of these moms who are suffering and struggling so much more than I am right now, into one space, and we're actively doing that so that they are not alone.
Speaker 1: If Connecticut became the gold standard, what would be like the blueprint for taking this movement national? What do you think?
Speaker 2: You know? Really, the family court needs to be dismantled and restructured so that when you get to a certain place in a divorce process, it is set. It is taken to just a completely other space where there's a jury of your peers, where there's a different system, and that all the states are aligned. You've got the training that is critical, the knowledge of what course of control and what abuse and what manipulation looked like, and everybody follows the same gold standard.
Speaker 1: As you said, Oh my god, wouldn't that be amazing? Now I've heard that there might be a film about the situation going on. Talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, again, with all of these people in our circles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I connected with an old friend from high school who a few years ago, who I discovered was dealing with the same situation that I was.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And she's just a brilliant, incredible woman who's an inspiration to me because she's been going through this. And we started talking two or three years ago, and she introduced me to a friend of hers who is award winning producer in la and we all started to connect. And as she heard our stories and what was happening a couple of years ago, she said, We've got to do a film. She's a documentary filmmaker.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And what has come together in the last year is we are in pre production for a film called House of Mirrors.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And the idea is that when you walk into a court and you think you're walking into a place where there's you know, law and there's justice, and what you're walking into is a house of mirrors where you're bumping into walls and nothing looks or seems as it is. And we have brought some of the top voices in this world of domestic abuse and coursive control into this space as our partners. So we are in pre production, we are we are presently taking funding and donations, and the minute we get you know, twenty five to fifty thousand dollars, our team is going to be here filming in Connecticut.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, it's really exciting.
Speaker 2: And I have to give a special note to our well. Our producer is Marisa Pulvino, who's incredible and done brilliant films. And our director is Kai Dickens, who anybody who has children with autism and special needs knows her name because she has done an incredible podcast which has bumped Joe Rogan out of the top spot in recent months. That's how incredible she is as a director and film maker. And she's doing a film with that now. So she is our director, and this is happening, and it's you know, it's bringing all of these voices into one space again. That is, you know, that's facilitating all of this.
Speaker 1: I think that's amazing. Now. I know you have the foundation, but I know you're working towards an app, so it talk to me about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, again, because of my work and growing up in Connecticut, when I launched last year, I reached a lot of people and again, somebody I knew from high school reached out and called me and said that saw what I was doing and that he had had a prototype for an app in this arena and it's called safety Net and it's built out and we got on a zoom and he showed me, he gave me. We did a walk through of the app, and I was in tears because he had built this because of a situation and a murder that had taken place in Connecticut. And essentially it will change the face of what victims of abuse, what it will look like with an app because they will be able to upload information and photos and text messages and information so that it's a pattern of abuse that will have safe place with other people and other spaces, let's just say. And the most important part about this app is that it will have real time data that goes out to police stations or FBI or other entities, which we don't have now. And the most incredible moment we had with this is and again we need funding to get this off the ground. But I was watching the trailer for Gabby Patito story on Netflix about three months ago, and I was watching the trailer before I came out, and her mother was on saying we couldn't find I didn't know where my daughter was. I couldn't find her. And you know, if only I'd know where she was.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Sat there after watching this and I called Matt and I sho who developed it, developed this, and I was in tears. I said, Oh my god, could you imagine if Gabby Patito had this app, her mother would have been able to find her. There would have been records about what it transpired. And this was part of my shift about the term domestic abuse, because I said, this app needs to go out to every young person who's dating, and every dating app, because if you have a gut feeling, if you're going out with someone, we've heard of someone going on a date and they get rape or something happens. If you are linked to this app safety net, all of your information is in there and you can see a pattern. Or you know, he pulled my arm and it didn't feel comfortable. He wrote me this terrible message. It's all in there. Oh.
Speaker 1: If he's just going on a data and you just it's blind DAT and you say, you know what, guys, I'm going on this blind date. I don't know what to expect because you could get roofinge, you don't know what would you do? Show?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: So all the time, you know, I mean I know, I know it's actors, but still I'm like riveted by it every day.
Speaker 2: So all of this is really it is bringing all of this into one space. That brings all of these people, right, mostly women and children, into one space. And that is the most important thing because I've said we're fragmented, and when you're dealing with this on your own and you don't know what's happening, you are alone and no one, no one should feel alone.
Speaker 1: Now, oh my god, I'm gonna change the town a little bit and we're gonna have a little fun. Okay, So let's uh brighten up this and let's ask what is your favorite a sunrise or a sunset?
Speaker 2: Sunset? Because I'm a night out so that's when your day starts sunrise very often.
Speaker 1: That's funny. What song snaps you back to strength every time?
Speaker 2: Oh? It's my song I blast on my car radio with my windows down when I'm headed to courd Titanium.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great song. Yeah, it gets the fire flowing all right. What about a favorite wall arc quote? Like hanging in your office. You have a favorite quote?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you know it's probably roomy. You know, there are several different takes on it. But you know, when you're in the dark, look for the light. Look for the crack, because that's where the light comes in.
Speaker 1: Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And I feel that very often. You always look for the light. You always have to have hope.
Speaker 1: If you could borrow a superhero power for one day, what would it.
Speaker 2: Be, Well, immediately go to Wonder Woman, the truth rope, the rope, it would be No. I actually remember that Wonder Woman could make everybody freeze in time. Oh yeah, so you could freeze everybody in time except one person that you're talking to, So you could orchestrate the next thing that happens in the room.
Speaker 1: That's it, and the last thing that made you laugh till your sides hurt.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Oh, you know, I'd have to say probably my best friends in the whole world. They're my three sisters really since high school. And when we get together, which we did a couple couple of weeks ago, there is nothing that stops the laughter. It takes me back to that time. It's the safest space in the world and there's nothing that stops us from laughing for for several minutes, if not longer.
Speaker 1: That's great. So for our listeners who are still trapped, yes, hearing your voice through hidden earbuds? What step one toward freedom? Wow?
Speaker 2: You know it's like I've said, you know, knowledge is power. So step one is reaching out and connecting with anybody, a support group, an advocate. I know it's hard to find everyone to Rock the Walls is up and running, but we are out there and so if somebody is listening to this, you can find us online. All of the partners and the people that I'm connected with from doctor Christine Coachola and Amy Palaco and doctor Nadine, these are brilliant people and their communities on their posts and on their websites and pages are incredibly powerful and helpful. And that in each state and each that there are people coming together and you have to have support and community.
Speaker 1: How can our audience amplify your mission today? Like, is there a phone call, a donation, a social share? What what moves can they can they help? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Definitely a donation and very specifically we're just finishing setting this up right now, but it's on my website for our film, for our app for Rock the Walls, because we're going to be building out our court watching and our other connecting programs in the coming couple of months. But the film is ready to take donations, and our safety net app is ready and connecting and sharing.
Speaker 1: What is your website?
Speaker 2: Tell Tell Rockthwalls dot org.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, now finish this sentence. Survival is not the end of my story.
Speaker 2: It's it's the beginning of a new chapter of my life and my children. And I do believe that God brought me here for some reason to be able to help others. With all those out there who are already doing this great work.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, I got you.
Speaker 2: I really because there is no other reason. And so for people going through any type of trauma, there has to be a You have to just look at it that there is a reason for it.
Speaker 1: I know, and I say it all the time. You know, some of us have our scars on the outside, some of us wear our scars on the inside. We all you know, that's why we do this. That's why I have this platform, so we can talk and let people know they're not alone. I mean, as you know, I lost my son to suicide four years ago, and I try and close every show with one of his poems, and this week I've got one that was one of the first poems he wrote when it was like Mother's Day and I had been seeing little glimpses of his poems, and he put together this little booklet of all his poems. He stapled it and he put in the cover of it he goes my eight Reasons Why. This poem is dedicated to my mom, who is the best mom in the world. By Scott Dansker. You are my world. You are my life, You are my reason why. You are my love, you are my pride, you are the reason why. You are my thoughts, you are my lies, you are the reason why. You are my queen. You are my lives, you are the reason why. You are my reasons why. And nothing will change my eight reasons Why. Well, he was fifteen when he wrote this stuff, and I still cry today when I them. I tell you, it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: But wow, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Lisa any Cush reminds us that one brave voice can echo through the legislative courts, and she is so brave and so strong. Please help her support the cause that so many women find themselves going through I mean men as well. But it's it's so important that we shed a light on this, just like we're shedding a light on mental health. This, this is really so important. Thank you, Serena, Oh my god, thank you for joining us today. And you know, until next Sunday, keep spreading the light, keep shining the love. And if you enjoy today's show, please like us, share us if you want to support me and donate, that is always welcome as well, and remembers soos stories of survivors is where sparks the soul. Thank you so much, thank you,