Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Good morning everybody.
Speaker 3: This is your wake up call for Friday, November twenty ninth. It is Black Friday. I'm i Lean Gonzalez in for Amy King.
Speaker 4: Hope.
Speaker 3: Everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, has a happy belly and feeling grateful. Got to spend time with family. Now today we get to get into another gear, another mode. It is Black Friday. Holiday's shopping season is officially underway.
Speaker 2: Here's what's up ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 3: A brushfire that started near Fontana has burned about two hundred and fifty acres. The fire was reported at about five thirty yesterday afternoon by the San Bernardino County Fire Department. In less than an hour, it had grown to ten acres. By nine pm, it was eighty five acres. In Evacuation warning was issued for parts of Harupa Valley in Riverside County, which borders the fire. A care and reception center was set up at Harupa Valley High School. Black Friday may not mean more profits for retailers in SoCal. An economics expert at Chapman University in Orange County says people are spending more because prices are higher, not because they're necessarily buying more. And another list of Super Bowl performers has been released. Lauren Daegel is set to perform America the Beautiful with Trombone Shorty before the game.
Speaker 2: Other pregame performances.
Speaker 3: Will feature John Patiste singing the National Anthem and Ladisi with Lift Every Voice in sing which is often referred to as the Black National Anthem. All of those performers are from Louisiana, where the game will be played on February ninth at the Superdome In New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Hip hop star Kendrick Lamar as the halftime show.
Speaker 3: In just a little bit, we'll be buzzing about an interview Amy King did with Keith Roberts, the co owner of the Valley Hive in Chatsworth. Then at six oh five, it's handle on the news. Bird flu has been detected in a second raw milk sample at a California company. Right now, we're going to start with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom, LA County has approved the creation of a new task force to oversee the implementation of Measure G. Supervisor Lindsay Horvath says there's a lot of work ahead.
Speaker 5: We're committed to ensuring that these reforms are implemented thoughtfully, inclusively, and in alignment with the values of the communities we serve.
Speaker 3: Voters narrowly approved Measure G, which expands the Board of Supervisors from five members to nine in twenty thirty two. It also adds a new county wide elected executive. In twenty twenty eight, workers are planning a massive strike from Black Friday to Cyber Monday.
Speaker 6: The strike is called make Amazon Pay, and it seeks to hold Amazon accountable for what organizers describe as labor abuse, environmental degradation, and threats to democracy. UNI Global Union says thousands of demonstrators in more than twenty countries will participate in the strike. Protests are also being planned in multiple countries. In a statement, Amazon defended the treatment of its workers, claiming to provide great pay, great benefits, and great opportunities. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 2: Major League Pickleball has sued one of its.
Speaker 7: Star players, Rihanna Valdez filed the lawsuit in La Superior Court this week, claiming the league fired her for complaining about not being paid on time. Her contract was for one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year to play and make appearances. Valdez says she did that, the league says she didn't. She claims her monthly paychecks weren't showing up and now the pickleball stand out is headed to a different kind of court. The league was found that a few years ago and includes teams across the country, including the La mad Drops and the SoCal Hard eight. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 3: Major League Pickleball has been sued and let's go to cat adoptions and dog adoptions. They're being offered free of charge this weekend in Riverside County, So if you need a little friend for the holidays, this is a great time to get one. The Department of Animal Services is celebrating its twelfth annual Black Saturday event by waiving adoption fees, including microchipping, vaccinations, and spey or neuter surgeries. The county's three SELT shelters in Arupa Valley, Santa Sinto, and Thousand Palms only requests that you have a valid ID.
Speaker 8: Today.
Speaker 3: It's going to be mostly cloudy with highs in the mid to upper seventies in Metro La and Orange County, low seventies at the beaches. The valleys will be mostly cloudy with highs in the mid seventies to around eighty. Mostly cloudy in the high desert with highs in the upper fifties to mid sixties. We're going to go to a crash on the one oh one in Agora Hills.
Speaker 9: That crash is on the one oh one southbound, just at Canaan Road. Looks like a solo suv against the guard rail there pay some attentions passed earlier nearby on Os Virginny's Road on the northbound side, there had been a wrong way driver. That driver was stopped and was brought in for blood work. Otherwise, freeways still trying to wake up this morning. Not much going on in that area. The one O one will flow freely for you out to venture and back into town. Twenty three looks good in boat directions in Seemi Valley on the one eighteen. You're looking good on the westbound side. There was an earlier crash on the one eighteen westbound just before Sycamore. That's over in the right hand shoulder, so pay attention to that as you passed eastbound into the Paquoima area. As good as a wind advisory around where the five and the fourteen come together there, so take care for that if you're driving a tall vea clevid. Otherwise you'll be good on the five north end south and the fourteen if you're headed out to the Lancaster and Palmdale area on this Black Friday with Southern California's only airborne traffic reports.
Speaker 10: I'm rich Cassone.
Speaker 2: Amy King might be today, but you're still going to hear her voice.
Speaker 3: We're going to go back to when Amy King went to the Valley Hive in Chatsworth and got suited up to find out what's the buzz with the bees.
Speaker 11: We're headed in to see the bees. So Keith tell us where we are and what we're doing.
Speaker 12: All right, So this is called an apiary api r y in apiary, This is where we keep some of our training hives here. This is where we get our students into the hives. And so what we're going to do is that I think we're going to work this hive over these hives over here, we're working hives.
Speaker 11: Okay, So when we when you say we're working hives, what are we going We're.
Speaker 4: Going to you're going to show us.
Speaker 12: We're going to be inspecting, okay, to see how this. We're going to see how these hives are doing. And so we're going to be smoking the entrance here, okay.
Speaker 11: And so for as you're listening to this, he's got a little like it looks like a teapot.
Speaker 12: Or a coffee So this is called a smoker, right, So we use a smoker because this is going to mask the pheromone of the hives. Fun fact, you can smell a ticked off hive twenty feet away. Smells like bananas.
Speaker 13: Real.
Speaker 12: So we're going to use this to interrupt their communication.
Speaker 11: Okay, And I have to tell you that we have we were fully suited up and there are a lot of bees and you can hear them buzzing around. But as long as we stay home, they stay home, right, that is correct. Okay, I'm going to stay home.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 11: So he's lifting the top off, So now you're going to pull out one of the honeycombs, and.
Speaker 12: So what I'm going to do where I'm going to be pulling out a frame to make room.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 11: So now we're pulling this out and it is covered with bees and there's honey combs, and then.
Speaker 12: And you're going to hold this from the top on the sides, on the sides on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 10: It's okay.
Speaker 4: You're going to stand with the sun over your left shoulder. Okay, And now we're going to read the frame.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 11: So now we're looking at the frame. Tell us what we're seeing. So first of all, it's about twelve by eighteen inches, it's covered with bees, it's got honeycomb, and some of the honeycomb is capped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 12: And so this is capped honey okay, and so and then right below that is nectar and so nectar is going to be converted into honey as they dehydrate it. And now down below here this is where mom has been laying eggs up to two thousand eggs a day in the spring in the summer.
Speaker 10: And it's just the queen bee who lays eggs.
Speaker 4: That's correct, one queen per five.
Speaker 12: After nine days, it gets a capping on the twenty first day, a baby b will hatch every one of these cappings.
Speaker 11: We were talking and I was so fascinated because the San Fernando Valley has had a bee business for one hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so we actually belonged to an association, the La County Beekeepers Association, that goes back to eighteen seventy three. So beekeeping has a storied history in La Yeah, and it makes sense because we have a Mediterranean climate. We have blooms for most of the year, we have very mild winters, and so the bees do pretty well here.
Speaker 11: So we know a lot of people who are very afraid of bees, and I'm going to tell you it's very calm out here right now.
Speaker 10: But for people who are afraid of bees, when do you need to be afraid of bees? So when do you not need to be afraid of bees?
Speaker 12: Okay, so generally you don't need to be afraid of bees.
Speaker 4: Bees are defensive in nature.
Speaker 12: They won't sting unless they perceive you as a threat. So what we don't want to do is swat at them. If we know that there's a hive in a tree, we don't want to disturb them. We don't want to throw things at it, and what we want to do if for some reason somebody has let's say, bumped into a hive they didn't know was there because they were extremely unobservant, then what we want to do is we want to get out of the area as quick as you can and run around objects.
Speaker 4: So if you.
Speaker 12: Cut around ninety degrees around trees or buildings, they quickly drop off of you.
Speaker 4: And we want to get away from that hive.
Speaker 11: Okay, we don't want to stay in the area.
Speaker 4: That's very very very rare. It's a very rare thing.
Speaker 11: A very rare thing. And then if you do have some because some we've had stories that we've done about people, you know, all of a sudden there's this big hive at their house. Because if Queen Bee said, hey, that looks like a good home, you need to call somebody.
Speaker 12: Yes, you don't want to do it yourself because you don't know what genetics those hot that that hive is, and so.
Speaker 4: You really want to get a professional out there.
Speaker 12: And most importantly, if you use pesticide to kill that hive and they have honey, neighboring colonies can be poisoned because they're going to come after that that unguarded honey and now you're ending up poisoning other hives in your neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we don't want to and so we don't want to do that.
Speaker 12: You want to you want to talk to a removal specialist who will humanely remove the colony and and keep them alive and repurpose them in orchards to be pollinators.
Speaker 11: Okay, So how we we keep hearing that? You know, the honey populations are in peril and there's problems. Is that the case here in the San Fernando Valley And what are you doing to help.
Speaker 4: Because we need the bees? Yeah, so we need the bee. So here's the good news.
Speaker 12: We're actually at a ten year high good for b colonies in the United States.
Speaker 11: And I want to also ask you about there's something called the be Experience at the Valley Hive and so is that basically what we're doing now that people can come and do and how do people find out more about that? And if they're interested in maybe starting up aive it there?
Speaker 12: Oh okay, So what they need to do is that they need to go to the Valleyhive dot com. Okay, you can find us on Instagram. You can find us on Facebook. You can come visit us here at one zero five three eight to Panga Canyon and Chatsworth.
Speaker 4: We're open six days a week.
Speaker 12: The only day that we're closed is Wednesday, and we would love to see you here.
Speaker 11: Okay, Keith, this has just been so great, and I got to tell you that now that we have done our little bee experience, they have a gift shop.
Speaker 10: We're going shopping.
Speaker 3: And if you want to see Amy all suited up in your cute little bee outfit in the hive, you can check her out on Instagram at Amy k King. You can also find out more about the bees and even head to the Valley Hive gift shop to get some honey beeswax candles, honey chocolate, kitchen stuff, t shirts. And they also have a beautiful nursery. Again, it's the Hive, Valley Hive in Chatsworth. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The FBI says online holiday shoppers should beware of scam websites.
Speaker 12: The bureau put out a news release this week ahead of Black Friday and Cyber Monday for shoppers who use Chrome, Safari and edge browsers.
Speaker 10: It warns up online security risks.
Speaker 3: Kfi's Tammy Trrio says people are advised to avoid websites that don't have a lock in the address bar, and to research sites and read reviews. A guy on a plane who had to be restricted by other passengers has been banned from future flights on United Airlines. The traveler was believed to be under the influence and going through a mental health crisis.
Speaker 14: Video shows the man repeatedly stomping on his seat during a flight from Austin to Los Angeles earlier this month. Several passengers subdued and zip tied the man's hands and feet.
Speaker 3: Kfi's Brian Shook says the man was taken into custody when the flight arrived at Lax. The Notre Dame Cathedral in France is reopening years after it was destroyed in a fire. French President Emmanuel Macrone got a sneak peek at the rebuilt cathedral. Video of his tour shows the inside as worshippers might have experienced it back in medieval times, with vaulted ceilings, limestone walls, and stained glass windows. Kfi's Ross Cullens says work on Notre Dame's exterior. Notre Dame's exterior is still ongoing.
Speaker 15: The cathedral be formerly handed back to the Catholic Church the seventh of December and the public will be able to go inside for the first time the next day, when the first public mass in more than five years will be held inside the cathedral.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: The fire in twenty nineteen nearly caused the cathedral to collapse, but firefighters were able to save the core structure. The region in western North Carolina hammered by Hurricane Helene is one of the nation's largest sources of Christmas trees. Dustin Hagler with Twin Pines Nursery says the recovery has picked up steam to help get the trees moved for the holidays.
Speaker 16: Some of the bridges and damage that I saw, I was not expecting anything to be happening anytime soon, but that just shows you the resiliency, not just the mountains community, but everybody from off the mountain coming up and pitching a hand to help out.
Speaker 3: The White House has a Christmas tree from western North Carolina. This year, it's an eighteen foot Fraser fur from Fleetwood, a penguin in California has defied the odds with a milestone birthday.
Speaker 17: Happy Birthday, best Friend. It's his name and his nature. Best Friend is a Macaroni penguin at SeaWorld, San Diego, and he is now forty years old. This is a major milestone. Best Friend hatched in San Diego in nineteen eighty four. That makes him a rarity in the wild. Macaroni penguins live about fifteen years in captivity about thirty years. Best Friend is alive and kicking and sliding and swimming. You can visit best Friend and his friends at sea World's famous Penguin Encounter.
Speaker 2: I'm lucind kay In.
Speaker 3: Evacuation warning has been issued for parts of Harupa Valley because of a brush fire that started near Fontana. The fire in the Canyon Crest area started around five thirty yesterday and burned uphill. Christopher Prater with the San Bernardino County Fire Department says residents should take the evacuation warning seriously. A care and reception center has been set up at Harupa Valley High School. The fire has burned about two hundred and fifty acres. Amazon workers in the US and nearly two dozen other countries are striking from Black Friday to Cyber Monday against what the organizing Labor union calls anti worker and anti democratic practices. The union says the Make Amazon Pay movement aims to hold Amazon accountable for what it calls labor abuses, environmental degradation, and threats to democracy. In an Amazon spokesperson says the group is misleading and promotes a false narrative. She says the company offers great pay, great benefits, and great opportunities. Animal rights activists are planning to take to the streets in Beverly Hills today to protest the sale of fur around the world, even though California bans the sale and manufacture of new fur products. The band went into effect last year. The activists are expected to gather later this morning at Beverly Gardens Park before marching down Rodeo Drive in the annual Fur Free Friday events at six oh five. It's handle on the news. Fans are demanding a formal apology from Jimmy Kimmel after a performance on the show with Knocked Loose and Amy King had a chance to talk to some co founders of Teppedo Coffee, and even though she's not here, we're still gonna get to hear from her. It's an interview she did because almost everyone loves a good cup of coffee, so why not have a cup of coffee made with love.
Speaker 11: Let's say good morning now to Jose Ariano and Mike dil Rocha, the co founders of Teppedo Coffee. And if you're wondering what that is, it's an award winning coffee company that builds bridges between Mexico and the US. They say, one origin, one person, one coffee at a time. Good morning, Jose and Mike, thanks for joining us this morning on Wake Up Call.
Speaker 18: Good morning Amy.
Speaker 11: Tell us about Tippedo Coffee and what makes it different because there are coffee shops all over southern California, but yours is.
Speaker 19: First off, thank you so much for having us on your show. I think what's really unique is all of our coffee is single source that comes from this beautiful generational farm em Better Cruse, Mexico, So single source coffee. But more than anything, I just think it's the it's the love and the purpose that we put into the coffee. We talk to our farmers every week. And when we say every couple of coffee helps our farmers, that's true, but it's also every couple of coffee helps those of us that have been impacted by the mass incarceration prison industrial system. And so we're also connected to homebo industries, so we're able to provide jobs for farming incarcerated individuals. And really like leaning into the fact that most of the world's coffee, the greatest coffee, I would probably argue, comes from Latin America or Africa, and so we want to celebrate the cultural richness of our ancestral homeland of Mexico.
Speaker 18: You know, as Michael was saying, it comes directly from vetap Cruse, straight from Beta Cruz, straight to the shop in Pasadena, and it's made love out there. You know, the intention behind the way that it's grown, harvested and roasted. It's just the intention is just like you know, our farmer Carlos just pours forth love into the coffee from the exception of it. And then when it gets over here, the people that we've given opportunity to that some of them it's their first you know, it's their first opportunity. Uh, some of them never thought they'd be a barista, and when they're given the opportunity, they're so grateful for it. It's like they pour forth so much love into the coffee. It's just you know, for me, it's just, uh, it's just wonderful to watch, you know how people when given the opportunity, will really, uh really pour forth so much love and care and great intention into their into the to the work.
Speaker 20: You know.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Okay, and guys, you just recently, I believe, just recently partnered up with Homeboy Industries. What does that mean for you?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 21: That means so much, I would say too. Well, So I was a former trainee at on Boy Industries eleven years ago, and I was able to work my way up the ranks to vice president. And it goes back to opportunity.
Speaker 20: You know.
Speaker 18: Father Gray, you know, gave me an opportunity and I took that opportunity and I ran with it and and I'm just so honored that I get to do what I do.
Speaker 10: Can you tell us a little bit more?
Speaker 11: Because Homeboy Industries is helping people who were in gangs and in prisons, you know, get an opportunity like you just talked about, So you kind of you worked your way up and then took that and now you're basically spreading it on and making more opportunities for more people.
Speaker 10: So that's that's going to make you feel good.
Speaker 21: Oh, it's great. I remember early on years years, you know, my first days at homeboy, in my first months, I ran into a hall meeting and he said to me, and I didn't understand it at the time. He said to me, he said, you only keep what you have by giving it away on me. And I did understand what that land because I didn't have. I didn't have much at the time, and I'm like, damn giving it away, Like, you know, I need I need a shame day, you know, I need to keep everything I got. And uh, now.
Speaker 18: Being where we're at as a company, Uh, I understand what he meant by that, you know, giving away uh information, giving away opportunity, giving away the process.
Speaker 21: And it's been Yeah, it feels me, you know in a way that I never I never thought i'd be.
Speaker 18: Doing the work that I do. I just out, you know, I'm a former gang member, formerly incarcerated. All my you know, I grew up in the gang culture in the nineties and all my family were gang members.
Speaker 21: And Uh to be doing what I do now. Uh, it's just yeah, like you said, it really it really feels amazing.
Speaker 10: It really does breaking the cycle.
Speaker 11: So then when you talk to people and you're getting them to come and become involved with Torpedo Coffee or you know, we're with Homeboy, how do you convey that because, like you said, when somebody told you that, you had no frame of reference for it. So how do you give people that frame of references? You say, you can make a different life for yourself.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I think we show them more than we can tell them by just creat an opportunity. And Mike can speak to that when we first kicked off the internship program with Homeboy, Mike, do you want to talk about Paul, You want to talk about that process a little bit?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think those is absolutely right. I mean number one, I just I'm truly blessed to have a partner in Jose. And I think it's it's it's our actions more than our words when folks come in that did that that sense of warmth and love that Jose was referencing earlier on with the coffee, And I really do think it takes the village and it takes a community of hope and kinship, which Tepito and Homeboy are able to do even exponentially more now because we have more businesses and we have more briistas, we have more employees. But again I think it's like trainees or anyone coming through whatever process. We share the same heartbeat, and we're able to provide not just that community, but with Homeboy as a partner, the services that folks may need, and that can be anything from counseling to employment to housing. And so we're just blessed in the position that we are right and now as a company and excited for the future.
Speaker 11: Where do people find more information about Torpedo Coffee and where can we go get a cup of that coffee made with love right now?
Speaker 19: So you can get it online at the Peoplehocoffee dot com and you can also come to our first brick and mortar at in Pasadena, six ninety five East Colorado Boulevard at the Romans Bookstore, the oldest and largest independent bookstore in southern California.
Speaker 11: And more locations expected to be opening sometime in the near future.
Speaker 6: Absolutely awesome.
Speaker 10: We will be watching for it. Jose and Mike, thank you. So much again.
Speaker 11: The co founders of Toepedocoffee love to see people doing good and making the world a better place.
Speaker 10: Appreciate it a lot.
Speaker 18: Thank you all, rank you, Thanks Harry.
Speaker 3: If you're filling out your Christmas list, you can get your friends in love one some Torpedo coffee. You can visit online Toepedocoffee dot com. That's tepitocoffee dot com. You can also visit in person. They are located inside Roman's Bookstore at six nine to five East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena. A brush fire that started near Fontana has burned about two hundred and fifty acres. Fire was reported at about five thirty yesterday afternoon by the San Bernardino County Fire Department. In less than an hour, it had grown to ten acres. By nine pm, it was eighty five acres. An evacuation warning was issued for parts of Horupa Valley in Riverside County, which borders the fire. A care and reception center has been set up at Horupa Valley High School. Black Friday may not mean more profits for retailers in SoCal An economics expert at Chapman University in Orange County says people are spending more because prices are higher, but not because they're necessarily buying more. Another list of Super Bowl performers has been released. Lauren Dagel is set to perform the America The Beautiful with Trombone Shorty before the game. Other pregame performers will feature John Batiste singing the National Anthem, and Ladisi with Lift Every Voice and Sing, which is often referred to as the Black National Anthem. All of those performers are from Louisiana, where the game will be played February ninth at the Superdome.
Speaker 2: In New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Hip hop star Kendrick Lamar has a halftime show. In just a few will take a walk down memory Lane with an interview Amy King did with Lisa Gardner, the author of Still See You Everywhere. Then six oh five, it's handle on the news. Australia has banned social media for children under sixteen in a world first law, and coming up at five point fifty will have more on that brush fire that has force evacuations in Horuper Valley, and we'll take another look back at an interview Ammy King did with author Teresa Chung, who has a knack for helping people figure out the meaning of their dreams. Right now, if you're looking for your good next read, Amy may have just found.
Speaker 2: It for you.
Speaker 11: Let's say good morning to the author of a new thriller called Still See You Everywhere.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Lisa Gardner.
Speaker 20: Good morning Amy. Thank you for having me on the show.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm super excited to talk to you, because when we got word that you were available, I said, oh, well, I want to read the book before I talked to her. And I'll tell you that I sat down to start reading it and thought, I don't know if I'm going to get through the whole thing, but I'll at least have a good, solid back, you know, foundation for it.
Speaker 10: I read the whole book in six hours.
Speaker 11: Obviously a page that's what I'd love to hear, Yeah, thank you, Yeah, and I'd go, oh, well, I'll put it down and I'll go do this. I'm like, oh no, just one more chapter, just one more chapter.
Speaker 20: So exactly.
Speaker 10: And I think, Lisa, the book.
Speaker 11: Like hooks you right from the prologue where you hear about the main or a central character's horrific life of abuse, and then how it turns into murders, So give us a little something to introduce us to the world of Still See You Everywhere.
Speaker 20: So Still See You Everywhere features Frankie Elkin, who is an expert on working missing person's cold cases, so she does it totally on her own. She has no special background, no training, but this is a weird case. She gets summoned to death row or a convicted female serial killer wants her to find her baby sister, who was presumably kidnapped fifteen years ago, but she just got a note claiming the girl's still alive. And Frankie's not worked for serial killer before, let alone one who is so clearly unrepentant. Like you said, Kaylee Pearson, grew up in a world were you either predator or prey. She's pretty happy to be the predator.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And like I said, it kind of it hooks you from the beginning because you get interested in Frankie in her life as she starts to look for this baby's sister and of course the murderous who is an unrepented killer or unrepentant killer, and it leads us to a tropical paradise on an island, an atoll not far from the main Hawaiian islands, but there are dangerous and sinister things lurking on the island too.
Speaker 20: Yes, I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to go to the Palmyra Atoll, but you fly to Honolulu and it's another three hours by playing, so you're way off the grid.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 20: Medical evac is like three to five days away, because that would take a ship. And when you land there one it's pair. It's palm trees and beautiful sandy beaches with no one on them because it's nothing but a twelve person research station, and there's crabs and coconut crabs, which are terrifying, and twelve really they're strangers, they're experts that are setting in and out and just my first pop you know, a lifelong Agatha Christie readers, this is the perfect locked room mystery. No one gets on, no one gets off, and one of these people has done something terrible.
Speaker 11: Okay, so then yeah, tell me, Lisa, you went to this atell just to check it out or did you already know you had an idea for your book in mind.
Speaker 20: Actually, I went different personal reasons to learn about the reclamation of Coral Reef, and they're doing amazing work for the record, and then just the psychology of it. I mean, you know you're going to be remote, but to be that remote like they preferred, if you don't have an appendix, you think it'll be beautiful, But it's also eighty five percent humidity all the time. The cheats the wet, the towels are wet. The researchers who work there, their skin actually grows fungus oh that they have to treat.
Speaker 10: And you talk about that in the book too.
Speaker 20: Yeah, the discomfort starts to get to you. You start to see the edginess. I kind of was laughing at one point halfway through this. I'm like, this is like the shining As summer camp. Yeah, that's where we.
Speaker 11: Are and the perfect setting for a murder mystery, suspense thriller.
Speaker 10: And this book is all of that wrapped up into one.
Speaker 11: And tell me, you mentioned coconut crabs and they play kind of a central part in the book, which is kind of weird. Like you said, you go on this atoll and there are these crabs everywhere, and some of them are coconut crabs, which are massively huge.
Speaker 10: They're not the cute little ones that scurry across the beach.
Speaker 20: No, I had a cute little one as my roommate, and I try to keep them safe every night because the coconut crabs will eat them. Yeah. I didn't know anything about this. So the apsle has no fresh water. So the entire basically animal kingdom is crabs. And the coconut crabs are the apex predator. They're bigger than my dogs, oh my god, and a carrier and they come out at night and they're like the Sherman Tank of crabs, and they're on a pathway. You do not go on that pathway. You find some other way to get to wherever you're going. And they're hunting the other crabs. And it's funny because I'm a thriller writer and I'll kill all the people you want. But I'd come creeping back to my little cabin. Tell my little roommate crabby. It's like, don't go out too dangerous, just stay safe for the night. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Oh so yeah, And like I said, there were those weird little things that you don't know about, and little twists and turns and big twists and turns, and I will tell you I was surprised more than a few times reading the book.
Speaker 10: So it's it's called Still See You Everywhere? And where can we get it? I'm assuming everywhere.
Speaker 20: It's available everywhere books are sold in The audio is available as well. A fabulous narrator, Hillary Huboo.
Speaker 11: Okay, Lisa Gardner, thank you so much for your time. If you haven't read it, if I highly recommend it. Like I said, I read the whole thing in six hours. Thanks so much, Lisa.
Speaker 20: Oh, thank you so much. Thank you. Amy.
Speaker 3: All Right, sounds like a great book to read while you're traveling over the holidays. You can get Still See You everywhere wherever books are sold. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two people have been hurt in a shooting in Lakewood at a vigil for a seventeen year old boy who was fatally shot earlier this week. A man and woman were shot yesterday near the pizza shop where the teen was shot Wednesday night. The man and women are expected to survive. No arrests have been made in connection with either shooting. Ellie County has approved the creation of a new task force to oversee the implementation of Measure G Supervisor Lindsay Horvatz says there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of work ahead.
Speaker 5: We're committed to ensuring that these reforms are implemented thoughtfully, inclusively, and in alignment with the values of the communities we serve.
Speaker 3: Voters narrowly approved Measure G, which expands the Board of supervisors from five members to nine in twenty thirty two. It also adds a new county wide elected executive in twenty twenty eight. So organic eggs sold at Costco are being recalled. Mark Mayfield says there are concerns that they may be contaminated with salmonella.
Speaker 19: The affected products are the organic pasture raised twenty four count eggs sold under Costco's Kirkland signature brand with the use by date of January sixth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: The eggs were sold at twenty five Costco stores in five Southern states. The farm they came from says it determined that eggs not intended for stores were packaged and distributed. They say more supply chain controls and restraining restraints are being put in place. Cat and dog adoptions are being offered free of charge this weekend in Riverside County, The Department of Animal Services is celebrating its twelfth annual Black Saturday event by waiving adoption fees, including micro chipping, vaccinations, and spey or neuter surgeries. The county's three shelters in Harupa Valley, San Jacinto and Thousand Palms only request a valid ID, So if you need a little friend for the holidays, this would be a great opportunity to do that. And here's a fun fact for you. Not only is today Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving is called Brown Friday by plumbers in America because it's their busiest day of the year.
Speaker 20: Yuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can figure that one out. In evacuation warning has been issued for parts of Harupa Valley because of a brush fire that started near Fontana. That fire, in the Canyon Crest area started at around five point thirty yesterday and it burned uphill. Christopher Prater with the San Bernardino County Fire Department says residents should take the evacuation warning seriously. A care in reception center has been set up at the Harupa Valley High School. That fire has burned learn about two hundred and fifty acres already. Amazon workers in the US and nearly two dozen other countries are striking from Black Friday to Cyber Monday against what the organizing labor union calls anti worker and anti democratic practices. The union says the Make Amazon Pay movement aims to hold Amazon accountable for what it calls labor abuses, environmental degradation, and threats to democracy. An Amazon spokesperson says the group is misleading and promotes a false narrative. She says the company offers great pay, great benefits, and great opportunities. Animal rights activists are planning to take to the streets in Beverly Hills to protest the sale of fur around the world, even though California bans the sale and manufacture of new furd products. The band went into effect last year. The activists are expected to gather later this morning at Beverly Gardens Park before marching down Rodeo Drive in the annual Fur Free Friday event. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Mexico's Claudia Shinebaum is confident about averting a tax war with the US.
Speaker 2: And have you ever woken up from a dream and.
Speaker 3: Thought, what the heck was that and why did I have that dream? Amy's got just a person to help you figure that out.
Speaker 11: Let's say good morning to the author of the dream Dictionary from A to Z. It's Teresa Chung calling us from When's the UK. Good morning, Teresa.
Speaker 22: Oh a dream to be here. Amy, Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 11: We all dream, and you're a dream expert. So Teresa, I'm going to ask you the first, incredibly broad question. What are dreams?
Speaker 10: And why do we dream?
Speaker 8: Dreams are your uncought conscious thoughts, feelings, wishes and hopes, and you get to see them up close and personal every single night when you fall asleep.
Speaker 22: And I hope everybody listening because we're early in the morning where you are, that there's some dream recall on their mind, because pondering the meaning of those dreams can lead to all sorts of creative connections and associations that can aid your personal growth and in some cases push humanity forward. Dreams have changed history.
Speaker 11: Well, so here's my question, because I knew I was talking to you today, Teresa, and so I was like, I'm going to remember my dreams, and here here are just a couple of them that I had last night. One I was on the air with Gary and Shannon, they host our midday show, and also was on the air with my old morning show partner from like twenty years ago, who since passed away, and they were both in their dreams last night.
Speaker 22: And it's basically you connecting your past self with your present self and also maybe wanting to return to that early passion when you began your broadcasting career, finding you know, strength in that as you look forward to your future. I mean, it's beautiful that kind of dream when you have symbols from the past remind you of why you're doing something, because sometimes we forget, we get so busy with the day to day routine, we lose touch with what really was our passion in the beginning and what gave us meaning. And that dream is just reminding you carry on doing what you're doing and remember why you're doing it. Dreams don't lie. That's what I often say to people. It takes a while to convince them because dreams speak in this symbolic language. A big problem with dream interpretation is people want the literal meaning, and ninety nine point nine percent of the time your dreams are talking to you like a poet or an artist. Would they're putting in poetic or artistic narrative for you to go away and decode. And what's the value of that. It encourages you to reflect more deeply on who you are and the meaning of your life. And I don't know anyone's life who would not benefit from more reflection. And that's what dreams call us to do, night after night after night.
Speaker 11: Okay, well, then here's the problem with that. Theresa leads my next question. Because I had my three dreams that I remembered from last night that I wrote down like right when I got up, and by that time I had already started to forget them. Why do we forget our dreams so fast?
Speaker 22: Because they come from a different state of consciousness when we're asleep, an alternate reality which is subtle and gentle, and it's the voice of intuition and creativity. Unfortunately, as soon as we wake up and go into conscious reality, our ego, the stresses of the day ahead, logic and reason, which are totally absent in the dream state.
Speaker 20: That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 22: There's no logic and reason. They are more dominant and they take over and they will squash it and say This is nonsense, right, This is actually random nonsense. But I'm on a mission to get everybody to reconnect with their intuition and creativity and the place where they can to spend logic and reason for a while and make creative connections they simply couldn't do in their waking life, because when you're awake, often logic and reason will say no, that's not possible. In the dream state, you see, anything is possible, and it is actually one of the greatest manifesting tools. People don't realize that if you can actually dream yourself doing something, it means you're.
Speaker 20: Unconscious actually believes.
Speaker 22: It to be possible. And we all know that when you believe, truly believe deep down something is possible, that's when you start attracting it to you. Deep down, we've got those niggling doubts and fears, and that's why dream works so powerful, because you can get to face those doubts and fears and iron them out and learn from them and grow from them and heal them. But you can't always do that when you're awake.
Speaker 11: Okay, So, Teresa, then that is interesting that you say that those are like dreams and aspirations because my favorite dream is flying.
Speaker 20: Oh.
Speaker 22: I hope you fly a lot in your dreams, Amy, because it means you're rising above and seeing the bigger picture of your life. Flying dreams. I wish everybody would have more flying dreams. Unfortunately, the majority of our lean dreams tend to be anxiety seemed those too, got a lot of things. But that's because in our waking life we deny and we repress and we don't want to go there, Okay, but our dreams know that we need to go there for our personal growth. Because you never learn in your comfort zone. You learn outside your comfort zone. Your dreams want you to get comfortable getting uncomfortable, you know what I mean. That's where all the growth and meaning is to be found.
Speaker 11: Okay in Teresa, Like we were talking about the dreams and deciphering them is the big issue, and that's where your book comes in.
Speaker 10: It's the dream dictionary from a disease.
Speaker 11: So in thirty seconds or left, just give us a quick quick recap of what your book is about.
Speaker 22: It's basically an a to zer of the most common universal archetype or dreams that sleep research and dream research suggest you are going to have at some point in your life, so you can look in there and it will kick start that symbolic metaphorical thinking that you need. We once all spoken that symbolic language, but we've lost touch with it over time because we've got so logical and rational. And it will kickstart that ability to look beneath the surface and not interpret on the literal level, but to go layer deeper and deeper for the hidden meanings. And once you use the dictionary on a regular basis, soon you will become your own dream decoder. Because really the best person to interpret your own dreams is you. But sometimes we need a kickstart, and that's what the Dream Dictionary is. It will kickstart that ancient symbolic thinking that can really lead to such precious wisdom if we just give ourselves a little bit time to remember our dreams in the morning, I trust me you will not regret it.
Speaker 21: Okay.
Speaker 11: Teresa Chang, author of the Dream Dictionary From A to Z, thank you so much.
Speaker 10: I love that you have a dream decoder.
Speaker 22: The best book you will ever read really is your own dream dictionary.
Speaker 20: You're a one that you write yourself.
Speaker 11: Thank you again for your time this morning. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 22: Sweet Dream, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Actually have that book. It's not a bad book, it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Another thing you can do is you want to plug your dreams into like AI and see how they interpret it. It's actually pretty spot on. Something fun to do when you wake up this morning. Now, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. A man from Londale says a thief intercepted an expensive package before it even got to his door. John Shinn says he was tracking the package a couple of weeks ago as it was out for delivery. He tells KTLA he was notified that it had been delivered, but he couldn't find it.
Speaker 2: So he caught up with the UPS truck.
Speaker 6: And I asked driver.
Speaker 4: I'm like, hey, man, you know who did you just deliver a package to?
Speaker 13: And I knew it was and there was a laptop and he's like, well, if some guy showed me his ID.
Speaker 3: The video shows a stranger stopping the UPS driver as he steps out of the truck, shows him something on his phone and his handed. The delivery police and Irvine say the same guy may have used the same ruse to swipe a package. There also a computer. A man in Arizona who hopped off a roller coaster during a ride says he did it because he didn't want to die. Video shows he's the man stand up and jump out onto an emergency staircase. Sunday, he said he heard a click that was different from the chain taking writers up the hill, then notice his lap bar had released.
Speaker 6: Well, I had mere seconds to act on whether I stayed on or got off, he.
Speaker 3: Tells NBC News, and manager offered him a refund and took a report, but he feels like his concerns were not heard. The makers of Gibson guitars have sent a cease and assist letter to the makers of Trump guitars.
Speaker 14: Company officials assert that the Trump guitar, endorsed by the President elect, displays a shape that infringes on the Les Paul's trademark guitar body.
Speaker 3: KFS Bran Schuck says a notice has been posted on the Trump Guitar website saying it's not associated with Gibson brands. The Dodgers show Heeyatani wants his interpreter to turn over more than three hundred thousand dollars worth of baseball cards.
Speaker 13: Because they were allegedly fraudulently bought with show Hey Otani's money. Otani is demanding his former interpreter he pay Meet Sahara turn O collectible baseball cards depicting Otani.
Speaker 3: ABC's Alex Stone says court documents show Mitsuhara allegedly access to Otani's bank account and impersonated him to authorize wire transfers and use that money to buy the baseball cards on eBay and other places veto. The Pug has won the twenty twenty four National Dog Show. He was named Best in Show yesterday afternoon. He beat over nineteen hundred other dogs, and he became the first of his breed to win in the show's decades long run. A long haired Welsh Terrier named Verde was named reserve Best in Show. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County south and Weather from KFI. Mostly cloudy today, with highs in the mid to upper seventies in Metro LA and Orange County, low seventies at the beaches. The valleys will be mostly cloudy with highs in the mid seventies to round eighty. Mostly cloudy in the high desert with highs in the upper fifties to mid sixties. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Michelle, technical producer Kono, and traffic specialist Rich. I'm Aleen Gonzalez in for Amy King. This has been your wake up Call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King.
Speaker 11: You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.