Speaker 1: Sequential art is a valid medium. I called it sequential art for want of a better name. I've always been annoyed from the very first day of my involvement in comics of the use of the word comics. Comics is a misnomer. Comics should not be comical. They should not be necessarily funny, as in the case of funny papers. This is a valid medium of expression, equal in respectability if you will, to words without pictures or to film.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield. Producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Cabareine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West in Atheist United Studios, Hey, Joey. Graphic novels are a billion dollar industry, but they didn't really exist until nineteen seventy eight, when Will Eisner published A Contract with God. A magnificent new graphic biography tells Eisner's amazing story from lowly cartoonists to creator of the spirit to innovator of literary comics.
Speaker 3: We're excited to talk with Stephen Weiner and Dan Maser, whose latest book is Will Eisner, a Comics Biography published by MBM Graphic Novels. Stephen and Dan, Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 4: Thanked it's life to be here.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Will Eisner was many things, a pioneering comics creator, a successful businessman, an advocate for comics as a literary art form, and a terrific guy. How would you assess his cultural importance?
Speaker 4: Well, Will had a tremendous influence on popular culture really through the fourth of his own will no pun intended through the force of his own drive to succeed, and he chose comics as a way to succeed. So with a young man, he because he wasn't he tried to be an artist, a cartoon a cartoonist. Thing wasn't financially successful. So he created one of the first studios, and he actually was one of the first people to create the the way comics were actually made. And so because of that innovation, we really have the form that we have in terms of comics. That's one thing. But he was he was a very restless person, and so he he got bored with that studio, even though it was it was very well, very financially successful, and he left it because he wanted to push the boundaries of comics further and tell different kinds of stories. And one of for many reasons, one of them was he hated superheroes and he didn't want to he didn't want to get involved with that anymore, and so he left it and created a newspaper supplement that was like the Parade Magazine, and he did the and that you know, this was the spirit that that was still talking about today. And so he was, you know, in that way. He really pushed the medium forward with everything he did. And then when he went into the army, of course he's Will Eisner. So he found a way to make comics in the army and he created a comics that educational comics to educate the military and how these equipment and you know that kind of thing. And then he then when that later in the fifties, he started another company that basically built on that. I did educational materials. He did manuals for corporations he used them for in an educational capacity, and then later in the seventies when he was brought back into comics, and he was one of the very first people to do graphic novels, and he was one of the only person doing them. Like for his or really his demographic older people that he wasn't They weren't interested in and you know, sexual revolution and something. They were interested in their lives of that time and their experiences. So every time he changed, he actually changed what comics could do and and that way, I think he had a tremendous influence on our culture because he really showed people possibilities every time he made a change. And it's not of that he and I guess the other thing I would say is that he implemented his implementation. His execution was very good too, So it wasn't just he had an idea and someone else took the idea and did a good thing with it. He had an idea and even get how to make the idea work. So it's actually he was teaching people all the time, really what comics were able to do. That that's my opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, you know, he started in comic books really at the very beginning of comic book So his influence on culture as a whole. I think starts starts there because when Will Eisner started making comic book they were so new that really they were mostly reprinted newspaper comics put together and staple. And he was there at the very beginning of doing you know, long form comics stories, which had not been done before. And you know, he really created how the vocabulary of how to tell a story, you know, I think, in a very specific to the medium of comics way. And he went beyond that and added the whole cinematic style the comics that was very influential with angles and lighting and you know, the comics comic stories had been a very sort of theatrical thing where your imaginary camera is just staying fixed. And I think he really sunk his teeth into that form. And I think his influence on really every comic book artist afterwards can be can be felt. And the other thing I was thinking about it today and I thought he was kind of like, I know, this is a Jewish program, but he was kind of like the John the Baptist of serious comics. He was out there in the nineteen late thirties and forties saying this could be an art form, this could be in you know, like serious novels. This could be in museums, this could be in classrooms, and nobody believed him. And finally they caught up in the in the sixties. And interestingly, I think one of the one of the main figures in making comic more intellectually acceptable, let's say, was Jules Pfeiffer, who came out who was first hired by will Eisner and really learned his stuff from Eisner and then did this book on the history of comics that kind of reintroduced Eisner to a new generation. So I think he Eiser and that we kind of acted through through others and even when he did contact with God kind of the quote unquote first graphic novel it was. It was moderately successful, but I think it paved the way for what happened a few years later with Mouse and a few other books that really made graphic novel explode. So I think his ideas and his own innovations were very influential throughout the whole comics and graphic novel culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know that the term graphic novel had been used before for other context. I think he maybe was the first to apply it to this comic book medium as I understand it, but also as you're saying, it's kind of the quote unquote first graphic novel a Contract with God. I think Jules Spifer is another candidate for first graphic novel with Tantrum, and it's it's kind of interesting that they both came from the same working relationship and we're both kind of pushing the envelope in that way.
Speaker 5: I think Eisner definitely pushed it to a new plateau with Contract with God and kept pushing for the next twenty five twenty seven years.
Speaker 4: And the other thing I was going to add to that was that the Eisnd's book preceded the Fire From book. But one thing's interesting is Eisen's book came up from a very small publisher, and Fire For I forget which house, but it was a major house that brought out Tantrum. So it was really the Fire For book was really aimed at the book trade, and the Eisne book was trying to get there, but it really didn't. It didn't have the inroads that the Fifer book had.
Speaker 2: I know. Another thing that Eisner introduced was this concept of sequential art as a way of sort of elevating the art form. Can you speak to that a little bit.
Speaker 5: He was always elevating the art form, and I guess he had the sense to know that terminology is important, you know. So you make a long comic book, you call it a graphic novel, and that's going to sound more respectable. You don't call it comics, you call it sequential art. I mean, it's all the same thing. I don't think conceptually these phrases change anything, but you know, he was a publicist in a certain way, and he knew that you had to, you know, you change the language and you change the way people see things.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that I think is important is at that time when the industry was trying to figure out a way to approach the mainstream that there were a lot lot of terms being thrown around. One with graphic album, one was sequential narrative, one with long comic book. But they term graphic novel was the one that stuck. And one of the reasons that did stick because he was so insistent on this term. So he he I don't, Mike, and he did not do the first graphic novel. Whoever did I'm not sure that's not important but the fact that he was so committed to it, it means to and that's the way he owns the term because of his commitment to the forum.
Speaker 2: Enjoining the show, Click like and subscribe. If anyone deserves a graphic biography, it's Will Eisner. Was there extra pressure to get it right?
Speaker 5: I think there was a certain amount of pressure because you know, there's a will Eisner family foundation that we didn't work with, we didn't have any formal relationship with, but we certainly wanted them to be happy with the book. Uh, there was, you know, nothing, No, we weren't. We weren't doing an expose of Will Eisner. We you know, So I think there was that and and I guess most of the people in the book are dead. But at the end of the book we do a scene with Dennis Kitchen, who was who we who We know he used to be Steve's agent. So so we had a lot of communication with Dennis Kitchen, and I think that we probably felt like we didn't want to it's a point Dennis either, especially when we introduced him as a character. But yeah, I mean, I I guess, uh, you know, there are a lot of people out there who know a lot about Will Eisner, and you know most of it is right, I guess. So you know, we we weren't trying to controversy or anything like that.
Speaker 4: I guess my answer to be would to that question would be that and I knew realized that I n him for about fifteen years, and I knew him fairly well. It wasn't uh, And I wanted to write by him, and by that I mean this, this whole book. That the idea of this book came because it was a response to his graphic novel called The Dreamer and which which he recounts his own his own childhood and the early days of the the industry. And I always thought that was fake. I said, it couldn't have worked out so well, and so so I so I thought I wanted to do a book that would say what it would be really like for him, how hard it actually was, and how and what a risk it really was for him to to commit himself this one. There was no there was no industry what he started. And so my answer is that I wanted to write by him, by his memory, and I really wanted to show people that it wasn't just as it wasn't as he presented it.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: Was a much harder road and he had a much harder battle to fight. And you know, I feel that we're that we who love comments were is so indebted to him for his vision and his commitment, and that's so in that way, that's what I wanted to write, and I hope we succeeded.
Speaker 3: Early in his career, Eisner dow comics under five different names, in five different styles simultaneously. Damn you mastered a bunch of styles and putting this book together, including spot on Eisner like drawings.
Speaker 2: What was your process?
Speaker 5: I guess the first step of the process was to decide that I did not want to draw this book overall in the style that was going to get compared to Will Eisner. First of all, that just wouldn't be my natural style. But also I think that, you know, I'm more in the world of of indie comics, so I think I wanted it to, you know, feel like it would naturally feel for me, which is more of an indie style whatever that whatever that means, but a looser style and faster style in a way, except we had to draw a lot fast, but you know, like the way I the way I colored. It especially was intentionally kind of loose, kind of rough, more expressive than uh than than detailed. So there's that, But then then there's like art within the art, you know. We definitely wanted to make Eisner's drawing process a big part of the book, which meant drawing his art, which because I didn't, I thought it would look weird if we just sort of shrunk down ages of Eisner and and and slotted them in. So yeah, I readdrew a lot of pages by Eisner and you know, not pages but handle sections of pages and some other artists, and and that was just a matter of you know, kind of close looking and and then sort of learning how he put together his his pages and his panels, which was which was fun and I think I learned a lot. Every time I would do one of those, I would feel like this burst of confidence when I went back to drawing in my style because I had just done something so so challenging, you know, to to to render the way he did, you know, his what he could do with light falling across a drapery or across a face cast shadows was so incredible that it was really like like a little bit like going to school, just copying all that Eisner first.
Speaker 2: In his biography Will Eisner, A Spirited Life. Bob Anlman notes that the book began as an autobiography with him as Eisner's helper, but Eisner soon realized the project was too big and handed it over to Alman. How did you decide what to leave in and what to leave out of your graphic biography?
Speaker 4: I think it was kind of intuitive because what we were following his story, but we wanted to focus on the you know, the moments when he had to take risks and when when he when he when those moments really when he actually changed the industry. So that was that was the big part. And then the other part was we wanted to we really wanted to present him as a human being, because he's not just this He's not just this guy that gave us comments. He's a person with a whole life, And that was that was the real In a lot of ways, that was a bigger challenge than the other thing, because it's so he was a very private person and it's really hard to get a lot of personal information. That's but we were we were determined to show were the sacrifices that he made to succeed, and I think that's we tried to show that repeatedly because it was a theme throughout his life, the sacrifice. He was just so driven to succeed in this industry that really wasn't industry yet. So I think that that's how we so that really was the impulse. Betweend behind the choices that we made, would.
Speaker 5: You agree, Yeah, definitely. And there's there's a couple of biographies, there's his semi autobiographical graphic novels, and lots and lots of interviews with will Eisner. He liked to talk and talk about himself, and he had a repertoire of of anecdotes which he read over and over, and they're good anecdotes, some of them. I think we felt like some of the people might be surprised if they really know Eisener. It's like, why isn't the story about Jack Kirby standing up to the gangster over the linen story in the book. And there were some stories I think that we felt were almost had just become cliches through Eisner's retelling of them, and we left him out. Yeah, that's the main one. But like little anecdotes in the Comics Studio and some of his you know, probably most of his repertoire of anecdotes are in there. But you know, as Steve said, parts of his life that he didn't talk about as much or talked about more in generalities, especially his childhood. You know, the scene where he and his brother are confronted by the anti Semitic bullies and he ends up telling his to change his name. You know, that's one of his famous anecdotes. But there were scenes that we kind of had to invent, you know, based on how he talked about his parents and his childhood. So there are you know, scenes that they they they are fictionalized inventions, but they certainly are scenes that could happen, and they they bring out like, you know, his mother taking him shopping gross in the at the pushcarts. You know, he talked a lot about his mother being a hard nosed businesswoman, but he never gave an example, So so we invented an example. And then and then there's a whole question of of of where the story. You know, the story was going to begin basically before his birth with his parents' immigration, but where is the story going to end? So when Steve first came to me with the idea he had a he had a kind of an endpoint, which I'm sure you remember, Steve, you know, and it was going to end when Eisner was much younger than where we took it to.
Speaker 4: So then with him being drafted, and then we're gonna follow that with a pro section saying he went on to do the graphic novel blah blah blah blah blah. So what I in my own mind not it was a little bit like the movie A Complete Unknown. It would just like this this picture of the early years that was That was the original idea. But then what actually happened was that Dan, you know Dan Dan became interested and Dan was actually was also an expert on this period, and so we just started to expand the story and it became a much bigger story.
Speaker 5: But we did kind of we speed through, I guess from about nineteen really from the time that he's drafted to nineteen seventy right to the seventies, so like thirty five years are kind of a montage. We felt like the most important thing, and the publisher also urge us to do this was to get to the contract with God. So it's like let's get to the Contract with God as quickly as we can, which also which means getting like, how how did he sort of drift he drifted away from the comic world. How did he come back and have this really remarkable last act of his life in which he did so much. So I think that was a big decision of something not to leave out that was initially going to be left out. I think it was the right decision.
Speaker 3: I think one of the nice things about your book is that it primarily looks at his life and work before he returned to comics in the seventies.
Speaker 5: One reason that we did that was in sort of developing or however you say, when it's a real person, his character and his vision up to a certain point, and then realizing that doing Contract with God was really like a culmination of something that he had deferred for all those years that he kind of there wasn't any opening in comics for him to do something serious and artistic, so and he probably thought he never would be able to, but you know it. So there's a line in the book where I care exactly what it is, where his wife says, how do you feel? And he's finished contractor with God, he says, I feel like I finally finished something I started, you know, forty years ago or so. I think that's why it really made sense to get there.
Speaker 4: And then it wouldn't. We didn't think it would be very interesting to go you know, through the next twenty books that he did. You know, he did family matter at something and a value. You know, then it would be like a book I did earlier Almoths, like almost like an encyclopedia. But so then we just did it that kind of a montage of the of the rest.
Speaker 5: In the pros biographies, you when you're doing a biography, and this can be the strength of a prose biogra You just cover everything, you go through, every period you write, you know, sometimes again to you know, day by day practically, and so the So the Schumacher biography, which we use a lot, you know, it covered every period of his life, all his business interests during the fifties and early sixties. And I think the approach of a graphic novel, unlike a prose biography, is more like a movie, where you choose the most interesting and engaging parts and try to either give over or shorthand the rest.
Speaker 2: Eisner's immigrant father was a failed artist but remained a persistent dreamer, something Will inherited from him. It's almost like Will Eisner fulfilled to dream his father never could.
Speaker 4: Do you agree, I mean, I agree that there was the artistic impulse, but Will had a very very smart business center. It might be it might have been more more acute than his artistics actually, and his father clearly did not. So I think my answer would be he took he took some of his father, and he made a way to make what his father to make, make his father's ambition into something that would actually work commercially and he would be able to support because he supported the entire family. It supported his parents, He supported his brother, and he supported his sister. He put his sister through college and he never graduated from high school, and his brother was employed by him. Is in his entire life was he was part of the company. So I think his business sense is really that's something we don't think about a lot, because we did think about what he did for comics, but it took a lot of business savvy to do what he did.
Speaker 5: That is how Eisner always presented it that his father was the follow your dream guy and his mother was the don't take risks, you know, make a good living influence and and we felt that that that's a little loaded like you you come away thinking, oh, that wonderful father told him to follow his dreams. So we tried to sort of balance that out because I think because it was balanced and in will Eisner's career and his personality that he he in a way he did fulfill his father's dreams. But he wasn't a dreamer himself. He was hard nosed and practical like his mother taught him to be. And without the both of them, he couldn't have done done what he did. He might have been, you know, he might have been just a successful businessman, or he might have been just another struggling comic book artist. But he brought those two sides of his of his parents together, if they both they both contributed to who he was. And that's what we wanted to show in the book.
Speaker 2: Do either of you have a favorite Will ais Ner graphic novel?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: I think one of them that it's really good for people who they're like novel readers, they're not necessarily commics readers would be Fagan the jew which is which is the retelling and rolliver twist from Fagan's point of view. Another one that's really biting, it's really really sharp, a really biting story is called The Family Matter. It's it's about a family trying to decide to do with it right, trying to decide to do with an infirmed grandparent, and it's you know, they're not necessarily very nice about it. It's a really bitter book. It's a really short book too. It's really it's very well done. I really love A Life Force. That's a book about if you have you haven't read. It's a book whereut two people in their sixties who reconnect and they were lovers when they were teenagers, and they have to decide what they're going to do with the rest of their lives. And they're both married. By the way, to to other people, what about you, Dan, do you have any The Spirit? Even though that's not technically one of his graphic novels, The Spirit was first reprinted. Warren reprinted them.
Speaker 5: In black and white when I was in high school, and you know, I bought those off the stand and read them all, and uh, I think they had they had a big impact influence on me. Also, you know, kind of growing out of superheroes and the other the sort of genre, a mix of genres that Eisner did in the spirit because he had had a great freedom from story to story, could do whatever he wanted. And uh, but just the look of it and the humor of it, you know, I still think that's that's the work of Eisner. That that means the most to me. I have a contract with God is great, especially the first and fourth story, but I'll stick with the spirit.
Speaker 3: Did you learn any lessons from delving into Eisner's life and career.
Speaker 4: I think the most important lesson of the biggest impression that that during this book made on me was that to just realize how driven he really was and how how community was because even though this is you know, even though I did a book about him before, he just I didn't. I didn't until we sat down and looked saw this on paper and saw the sacrifices that he made, especially the young person. I mean, you know how driven he was. It just didn't it didn't really didn't make the impact that it did this time that I learned.
Speaker 5: I learned.
Speaker 4: I came away thinking being really deeply impressed with his drive and his vision of the of the industry, that was it.
Speaker 5: One one lesson was how to draw Fedora's because he had dre a lot of those. But yeah, but I think the same like the drive, you know, I think the nice thing about this book and the reason why we felt it could have brought appeal, was the drive that he had as a young as a kid sort of into the world of literature and art that he loved, and coming out of that to create the drive as a young man to be independent and start his own business. And I think for for us, you know, because we're both fairly on in years, the fact that he he came back at the age of sixty and started a new career with tremendous energy. That and and he kept he kept doing those graphic novels until he was, you know, eighty five or whatever. I mean, I think I think that you know that lesson that it's you know, you don't have you don't have to let go of that drive at a certain age. It was his is important.
Speaker 2: Maybe his constant reinvention of himself also kept him fresh and young, and I took that away from the story as well, that maybe because he didn't get stuck doing the same thing over and over and over that prolonged not only his life, but his creative life.
Speaker 5: I would agree with that. Yeah, and Steve, Steve knew him in his in his later years.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I would actually speak to him and he had just spoken to a young cartoon it's like Scott McCleod or something like that, and he would he would be very excited. He'd be telling me in a very excited way, what they're doing. He'd say, this guy is doing this, you know, just and he was. He was, he was, he was like you would think that he I would think anyway, that he was a person much younger than his years. I think that was one of the reasons that when he did pass away, he passed well, it wasn't sudden. He'd had a heart attack, and then he didn't. He didn't, he didn't, he didn't come out of the hospital. But the end is a lot of people were really shocked because he just had this youthful energy to him that they didn't They didn't think this would this would be his demise. They thought he had many more years left. One of the really interesting things about doing this book is that we've been hearing from people who knew him because they're you know, this is this is an opportunity for them to to to you know, to to share their stories and what I actually got a letter from the Sun of Eisner's tennis partner, because when I then moved to Floyda, he paid tennis every day and he had these anecdotes about you know, he called them Uncle Will that they you know, they had these picnics and whatever. But it did that every every story that I've heard kind of recount a very youthful person, even though at this point he was seventy five years old.
Speaker 2: So well, Stephen and Dan, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Well, thank thank you.
Speaker 2: It was great to talk to you and to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 3: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.
Speaker 4: M mm hmm