Speaker 1: A lot of people look back and they go, I've been wasting my life, and I know it's impossible. It's absolutely impossible to waste your life. Every single thing you've learned, every single challenge you've had, has been set there to get you to where you are now. Yeah, you may not know the direction you want to go, but there's certainly a lot of things out there. I mean, you can get on and you can listen to me, you can listen to Mark Victor Hanson. We can read your book, Marcy and probably find some direction there. I've got other mentors I've worked with, and so the second thing I do is I go go sit down with somebody and talk to them and say I'm not quite sure where I want to go and have a discussion, you know, have it back and forth like we're having right now, and go communicate and go connect.
Speaker 2: This is Wake Up with Marcy, a space for honest conversations about healing, recovery and women's wellness.
Speaker 3: I'm Marcy Hopkins. Take a breath. You're safe here.
Speaker 2: Let's begin. You're not burnt out, you're not lazy, you're misaligned, and once you understand that, everything starts to change. Welcome to Wake Up with Marcy. I'm your host, Marcy Hopkins, and this is the show where we have real, raw and transformational conversations designed to wake you up to your life, your purpose, and what's truly possible for you. Hello, A, welcome back to Wake Up with Marcia. I'm so grateful you are here with me today. I'm your host, Marcy Hopkins, and this is the show where we have real, raw and transformational conversations designed to wake you up to your life, your purpose and what's truly possible for you. And today's conversation is one you're going to want to feel. It's about alignment. And today I'm joined by doctor Kyle hulsebas author, speaker, human potential specialist, and a third generation chiropractor who's helping people rethink health alignment and what it really means to live well. And what we're diving into today is something so many people are experiencing right now, feeling stuck, feeling off, feeling disconnected and not really knowing why.
Speaker 3: So welcome to the show, Doctor Kyle.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. I'm grateful to be here and to be able to share a little bit about wellness, health, human potential.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me tell you, I get really excited about these conversations because there's so much information. But it's when we actually take it in and maybe hear it a different way and put it into action.
Speaker 3: That things really start changing for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's and you know, just having grown up under the auspices of a chiropractor who grew up under a chiropractor who you know, learned chiropractic back in the nineteen forties, you know, sort of has this real strong philosophical background. It's even one of the things we do a lot when we educate people and take in new patients is what I say in the office is really ten percent of what I do in the office is adjust your spine and take care of your health. But the ninety percent of what I do, because I'm a doctor, is to educate you, to inform you, to empower you in this idea of health. And so one thing where we become fairly skilled at early on is how to reframe health so that people understand it. And you know, there might be a little bit of sarcasm that shows up in the profession that way, but that could come from the founders. It's like somebody comes in and says, well, I have my knee hurts, and I go okay, and they go it's probably from running, and I'll go great, did only your knee go running?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I love. It really is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Where maybe you're feeling the pain but it's coming from a different place, and how so much is connected to our spine and how chiropractic work really does help us to heal and it's not just about the alignment of the back.
Speaker 3: And so I want to bring that up.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things that you did grow up in a family of chiropractors, right, deeply rooted in this chiropractic care and health.
Speaker 3: So what did that early exposure teach.
Speaker 2: You about the human body and about life and about what most people don't realize until much later in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let me I'll show you a little bit about the origin. Because my grandfather came back from World War Two as money gis did kind of looking for direction. Yeah. I don't know the circumstances around him meeting my grandmother, but they met, they got married. My grandmother had a lot of health problems. She had a lot of digestive issues all the time, and at the time, the best place I think you could go was like the Surgeons Association in Chicago, and they said live with it. You know, you daily had aches, constant gut problems. Live with it. I mean that's that was their solution at the time. Not that they were bad, it's just that they didn't have a lot. Yeah, I mean they just they that was where it was. And he was originally from Iowa, so they they stopped on the way to Iowa down in Davenport, Iowa on the Mississippi River is part of the Quad Cities, which is where the original Chiropractic College was, the Palmer School at Chiropractic at the time. And you know, I and again I don't know the circumstances, but I have this I have this sort of thing in my head that says, you know, come come see doctor Palmer School at Chiropractic and be cared of this ale. And because he had a radio station, the first radio station was to the Mississippi and somewhere in there, he might have just said, you know what, we got to lose. And they went into his school. And my grandmother was adjusted, and she told me for many years she goes whenever she complained, She goes, I don't know if I should really complain, because since that day I've never had a headache, And her digestive problems cleared up. And on top of that, it turned out she was having fertility issues and she was able to conceive after that, and and then and then had my uncle, and shortly after they graduated. So I grew up with this idea of health and the spine, and there was so much more potential in there. It's just that there's interference and all we got to do is remove it. So and the whole concept behind chiropractic is it's simplicity. And even even the way we run our business is keep it simple. It's, you know, we don't have to get into all this complexity when I when I speak to businesses, I look and I go, don't make it too complex. Uh, you know, we just when when you adjust, it's a very small, simple thing that goes on. So he he was deeply rooted in the philosophy because chiropractic is the only healthcare profession founded out of philosophy that the body has an innate healing ability, and he raised his three sons that way. They all went to chiropractic college, and my dad was probably a little more of the philosopher of the bunch, to be fair, and also a bit more of the scientists of the bunch. But then when I was at school at the University of Iowa, he was down in Palmer again doing a postgraduate program for chiropractic philosophy. So I got raised. Anytime I would run into stuff, it would be like people would tell me, oh, you need to take this, or you need to take this, and I'd go, well, but why and everybody take this?
Speaker 3: You mean like a drug?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know, oh, well, you know it takes a badville, or you should go you should go to the doctor, and don't you go to the doctor. And I go, well, I go to my dad.
Speaker 2: So those are more of the band aids, not getting to what's actually happening within the body, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I and I've got damage to my spine. So fortunately my dad was a chiropractor. But you know, I distinctly remember being like nine, nine or ten years old at my friend's house and I'm going, man, I got a headache, and his dad goes, well, I have some advil or an aspirin and I go, what's that? And he was like horrified, like, how do you not know what aspirin is? I go, I don't know, you know what's aspern He goes, well, that's what you take when you have headaches, And I go, oh, I just usually just my dad adjusts me, and then I don't have a headache.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I took as and I couldn't swallow it because I'm not very good at taking pills, so I shoot it, which anybody's chewing aspirin, thouse it's a little better. So you know, that's That's not that I don't take medications when I needed to get over stuff. But my thought process has always been if it doesn't, if I can't sort of bring him back to how's the internal doing that, I have a hard sort of logic problem with it.
Speaker 3: Well, let me.
Speaker 2: Ask you, because I've heard many stories. You know, young young kids have these digestive problems. They finally get aligned and they don't have the problems anymore.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of times we think.
Speaker 2: Of chiropractors of just fixing the pain in our hip or our back, whatever the case may be. What is that connection? How is it so connected to the other parts of the body. And if we are going in for this this alignment, how is it helping these other parts.
Speaker 1: So we'll give you the basic rundown. Your brain's main objective with you physically is to keep these trillions of cells running in coordination, in harmony all the time. It is continuously working to adapt you to the inputs that it gets and the great stresses that are on it, which you know on Earth is gravity, and we've got gravity, and we've got air pressure, and we've got barometric pressure and we've got That's why people say, oh, the weather changed, and you know, my cough came back, or my knee aches, and your body's working to adapt you to these things. Your brain is getting this information and it's its main communication ability is on your spinal cord, and so it's sent it's sent out basically roots from itself down as a spinal cord, and from there it branches off individual nerves that go between the bones of the spine. That's why you have movable vertebra between those bones, and they go out and they connect to every single organ in the body, every single one. It can't be every cell because you can't have nerves flowing through your bloodstream. That would get confusing. But but it does. But but like for instance, with with blood cells, it does go to the bone marrow and say produce more. It does go to the spleen and say take these away. It does go to you know, your your thymus and say produce more here, and your thyroid to create energy, and your digestive tract to do this, and your heart to do it. It's constantly talking to all these and it has great automatic processes that it's created to handle situations. But at the same time it's it's still maintaining this constant continuous control. And as it has nerves that go here and create what we call motor actions out, it has also sensory ones taking all the information going back in. So it's a two way continuous thing. And when we've had like functional MRIs of the brain, you can see all the different areas light up, and that's where we see creativity come from. Movement and that's where we see you know, people will go out for walks and it stimulates your brain. That's why we want little kids to to move and do stuff, not sit and not move on screens, because that's not stimulating the brain. And not that the screens don't help too, but the the you know, there's so much which going out all the time, and the brain constantly wants input, so it's constantly so the only organ system of the body entirely incased and bone, even your heart and your lungs aren't entirely encased in these ribs is your brain. It's it's in a cranium and your spinal cord mostly surrounded by these vertebra. And what we find, in a very simplistic way is if these two vertebra misalign and lock together and stop moving properly, there's going to start to be interference in that communication system. And we can get into all the neurophysiology and everything like that.
Speaker 3: But it may go over a lot of people's heads.
Speaker 1: Into it, and I don't go over it with many people, but you know, suffice to say, and we've got all the scientific reasoning behind it. It starts to interfere with this communication process. So imagine it. Imagine it very simply, like you take your cell phone and we we put we put something around it, tinfoil around it. It's still going in the war, but suddenly you're going to have the you know, we're going to get a message through, but we're going to miss stuff, right, So the brain stops getting great information, but it's still telling everything what to do. And eventually you get to a point where it tells something what to do, but it hasn't been properly adapting, and so finally it just gives. And then you have a symptom. And your symptom might be collitis and gut cramps, or your symptom is suddenly your back. Your back goes out because those muscles haven't maintained well, or your shoulder hurts when you're trying to throw something because that shoulder structure hasn't been maintaining well. Or suddenly your you're you know, you start to get sudden hair loss because your your thigh roide hasn't been maintained well. And we get all these different little things. So when you come to a chiropractor, the reason we focus on your spine and the reason we talk about your pain is we know if we adjust these areas of misalignment and restore motion, it removes this interference and it allows this communication system back to one hundred percent. The reason you come back more than once is restoring the communication. Anybody in a relationship knows this. Just because you talked after the fight doesn't mean that it's all one hundred percent. You still have to work to get it there. Your brain now has to rebuild, and part of that is even in the spine where we adjust that, we're going to continuously put motion in there on a schedule in order to get it to repair to the point where you don't need us to do that. And if it was easy at self adjusting, we just teach all the kindergarteners to do it right, you know. Unfortunately, because it's back here and not up here, we need somebody's aid. So we do a lot of schooling just to be able to understand the motion of it and to be able to adjust it properly for any type of spinal bone type that we have. Right, we see over a thousand conditions in my office.
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing, So let's talk about when someone is out of alignment, what does that really look like in real life and what are some of the signs that we may be ignoring or we normalize.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's amazing, what will normalize. I've had people come in that have just had psiatic pain for eight years and they're just they're used to it, you know, they limp. And the unfortunate part when they see me is when I start to adjust them, that pain has to come back in order to heal. And I explain that to everybody. I go, listen, this this, this is going to light up a little bit because it's never really repaired and it's kind of like your brain shoved it to the back, kind of like the you know, your brain is good at ignoring stuff, like you put your clothes on. It quickly forgets the feeling of your clothes until you move suddenly or have a restriction. You know, it'll just put that in the back. So because it says, well, we can't do anything about it anyway, and if we're constantly in pain, we're just going to go crazy. So we'll stop right now. Here's here's the interesting misconception people think when they come in and I X ray people before I adjust them, and I'll show you the misaligned areas. In chiropractic, we call it a subplexation, if you want the fancy words, which means it's not dislocated, but it's misaligned and it's not moving properly in relation above them below and has these nerve problems and we correct these. We adjust these with our hands manually, which is what chiro means in chiropractic. And we're trying to put motion back into them. But people say it feels like it's out and I put it in, But if I X ray you again three minutes later, it's going to look the same. It can't change that quick. And I have people that after twenty years still have the same misalignments. So we talk about we're going to align the spine, which is true in one Why however, you're you're always it means you're human in you're undergravity and you're on in your live your your body just needs care. And it's the same way that that really you're wise, that eating well and putting good fuel in you're wise. It moving every day and doing some form of exercise, you're wise. And stimulating your brain through through learning, you're wise, and you know, not being angry at everybody all day or or figuring out why you are type of thing you're You're always going to have something there that you take care of. When people come and they and they see us regularly, it's not because they have to. It's not because everything is going to come back if they don't. It's more that I'm just they're they're just kind of adding me in as as part of their their maintenance for their overall health and well being. So when we we have these when somebody comes in and they have what we call an acute problem, it's their symptom is shown up, either for the first time, or it's really gotten bad for once, or it's something you want to you know, you're going, man, I got to go do something good. He's giving you a sign and just saying, you know, I you know, for instance, I've had people that come in they move, you know about like this where they're where their head doesn't move, and I go, I don't know what I did, and I go, you know, we can say the straw broke the camel's back, right. You just finally had enough pressure on it. It kept trying to adapt, trying to adapt, and finally it said, while we're going to freeze all these muscles, so you stop making it worse. And you can either live that way or you can lay down for eight days and do nothing. You can come see me and and it's still going to take time to heal, but we're going to try to heal it to a place where you're not having a breakdown that way, that's that's the signs you get. If I find people are getting chronic digestive issues, I go, why wouldn't we want to take a look at where the brain talks to your digestive tract in multiple different areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredible, and it's also going to affect you mentally.
Speaker 1: It does when you Yeah, Doctor B. J. Palmer had a quote we use. I keep it up in the office because I really love it, and it was you never know how far reaching something you say, think, or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow. And in his way of looking at it, because he adjusted spines, he said, you know, one adjustment on one condition, one spinal bone, one time, with one individual, that individual's destiny, their potential, the way they work and operate with the world is going to change forever. So if you're dealing with just constant chronic health issues, yeah, that's going to affect your work, your money, your spirituality, your ability to learn, your marriage, your kid's relationship, your parents relationship, your friend's relationship, socially, and then your physical health in just every aspect of your life. So one adjustment is not going to carre you of all your problems, but it is going to change what's going on. So I always tell people, I go, at least one time is better than no time. However, yeah, I mean, you know, can can we go out? I always say, they go. How do you affect the world? I say, I adjust your kids, and your kids are going to interact with the world differently.
Speaker 2: But what's a myth out there about chiropractors, because there's a lot of fear.
Speaker 1: Well, my favorite myth is that, you know, some of our doctor was telling people that that he'd never seen a neck problem that wasn't caused by a chiropractor. And my response to that guy was, that's amazing. How did the car accident get caused? Like did the chiropractor run into him? That the biggest myth is that is it adjusting a cervical spine is dangerous, and that that myth has gone back thousands of years. This is not new. We train very in depth. It's probably dangerous if you try to do it to your spouse, Yeah, you know, that's probably assault. At that point. But the we started. We start day one learning how to feel the spine all areas of the spine. We learn about the motion of the spine. We go through three years of very in depth physical training to be able to do this safely. The way we're taught is we're taught to adjust very gently and then also in different ways with some more force every type of spine. I see people with very bad osteoporosis, we take care of people with bone cancer, and we have a dozens of different ways of safely adjusting all areas of the spine. Chiropractic is one of the safest forms of health care in the world. And if you really want to know that that's true, you look at our insurance rates, which are the lowest in the world because we're that safe. Yeah, so you know, but if you're going to your buddy or if you've got like in physical therapists do learn a little bit manipulation, but they don't train in it, neither to Chiropractice train in physical therapy except for class we take. Yeah, and then you've got you've got other people in Europe, for example, you have some uh, some mds. They take a weekend course in chiropractic and I go, well, that that is unsafe because you don't know what you're doing. You didn't it's yes, we'll do.
Speaker 3: Some homework, right, do some homework.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's but it's like it's like it's like putting a black BELLLT on in karate after you watch the video of of Bruce Lee and saying I'm that good now, and you know he trained for years to get to that high level of practice. That's the biggest myth, uh is the safety. But you know, make certain when you go, you're going to somebody that's not sort of this fly by night h somebody's trained, they graduating. Obviously, nobody's going to get a license in the United States without graduating a reputable school that's accredited on training and that they're going to assess you. They're not just going to say, you know, let's go.
Speaker 2: So what about somebody out there that is going through something? But they they're not admitting that something is wrong, right, They're not getting vulnerable, they're not actually looking for the help. How can they switch their mindset and admit that they need the help?
Speaker 1: You know that that's that's a tough question. To answer, because the best example I can give you is, you know, I'll get I'll get a you know, one patient in and they'll say, my spouse really needs this, and and they're that individual that I don't need doctors. I don't need you know, I can figure it out. And and I just look and I go, you know, maybe seeing how well you do, they'll decide to come in one, you know. And sometimes I say, we'll bring them in so they can see what we're doing with you. And I don't even explain to them about how they should get looked at or anything. I just let them know this is what we do. And there's just education. I get plenty of people that say, yeah, but it's not for me to can. I go, okay, I don't. I don't try to force it, because eventually I find that that the majority of those people end up coming in and they go, I can't take it anymore. Do you have a solution for me? And I sit down and educate them, and I go, let's make sure this is the solution for you. One reason we're doctors is we're trained to see, if you you know, to get you to people other than us, if it's necessary and we help with that. So you know, the way you deal with that is I find the more you like pester and hammer people and say you should, you must, you need to. You know a lot of times that type of individual they kind of go stop it and they get more resistant. But I like, I've got a brother that you know, I just say every year I said, I'm doing this workshop, it'd be I think you'd get a lot out of it. If you're ever interested, just let me know. And he says no to me every year. But every year I offer it. And I don't offer it with expectations. I don't offer it saying you need to do it. I just hey, it's there. If you're ever ready, I'm going to the chiropractor if you want to take along today.
Speaker 2: That's what I do, and that's how I live my life because I help people around sobriety and changing the conversation around that topic. I'm over ten years sober, and you just lead by example, keep putting the information out there and when someone's ready to hear it, they'll hear it. So on that note, we're going to take a quick moment and share about my book for a second, and we'll be right back. Are you in the first thirty days of sobriety or wondering if now is your time to start?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: I'm Marcy Hopkins and I wrote wake Up You're Not Broken, just for you.
Speaker 3: It's a real.
Speaker 2: Raw guide to those first thirty days, what no one tells you, what you will feel, and how to keep going. This isn't about perfection, It's about progress. Or to your copy now on Amazon. Remember you're not alone, You're not broken, You're waking up.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Wake Up with Marcy.
Speaker 2: We are here with doctor Kyle and we are talking about chiropractic work and how it really does change our lives. And I want to just give you a quick story about myself. I lived with pain in my neck for well over a year, and I kept going and getting massages, thinking it was like a muscular thing. And of course, right after I would have the massage, the pain would come back. I couldn't sleep well, and I finally acquiesced and went to a chiropractor and I found out what was going on, and I went for six weeks and I haven't had the pain since. So it's I don't you know, like we were talking about, just like living with that pain for so long. Like my husband was floored because he's one that goes to the doctor right away. I'm someone that just thinks it's going to go away miraculously one day, you know. So I found out there was something much more going on, and I was very grateful, very grateful to have finally acquiesced and got the help that I needed.
Speaker 3: It is life changing and.
Speaker 2: I and even through social media now you see just the help for young people, babies.
Speaker 3: Animals, like.
Speaker 2: There is a real power when it comes to the chiropractic work and the information system that goes through the spine and how it.
Speaker 3: Moves and provides information so throughout our bodies.
Speaker 2: So you're speaking of movements, You're you're looking and are leading a powerful movement around rethinking life after forty. Yeah, and listen, when I hit forty, I thought my life was over. So I'm fifty six now I know it wasn't. But tell us what inspired.
Speaker 3: That for you?
Speaker 1: So the forty over forty is the name of what the little series we created, and it was it was this interesting conversation I do a mastermind. My one friend and the mastermind. We were sitting here chatting one day He just goes, hey, what's the average age of people that come into your office patients that come into your office that do long term care, you know, because usually you get your younger people. I just want to quick fix. I want this because what are the people that come in and say, I really want to change my health. I really want to, you know, do this and figure out something I can do in the long term. And I go, when I thought about it, and we just kind of looked at some numbers. I said, you know, probably around forty five to fifty five years old. Those are the people sort of ready to change. And he says, so right, you know, you kind of hit a point where you go great. I mean I have plenty of individuals that have kind of gone down your journey a little bit, that started that in their forties. So, you know, I looked at it. I go, that's really interesting. And then we had this whole you know, Forbes does at thirty over thirty, We'll do the forty over forty. I've already had enough people to say, is that you need forty tips because it's this much for happening. I go, actually, know, it's just about you know, I presented forty suggestions after the age of forty. You know, get your grab bag out and mix and match which ones are the most inspiring to you that are going to help empower you and your health journey after forty and we span span the whole thing. I don't it's not just physical. It's it's about your relationships. It's about your your leadership and your friends groups. It's about your money, it's about your job, it's about your learning, it's about your relationships spiritually with the universe and the world. Go we dive into all these different things because health is such a huge dynamic. In the old definition, health is a state of wholeness. It goes way back fifteen hundred years in Old English and literally the word meant condition of whole being, where wealth actually then his condition of well being or wellness. So and wealth is more than money, as I also teach people. So we came up with that. And you know, I say, the forty tips is sort of arbitrary because it works well. But when I started to explore this, I found that my goodness, because I love Forbes thirty under thirty and reading about these individuals, but they're the outliers, they're the unique ones, I said, the over forty is the average when people arrive. And I started to look, and I go, who's done great things after forty? And I want my goodness? The first person that came up was Mark Twain, and he'd done writing, but he didn't have you know, Tom Sawyer didn't come out un till he was in his forties. He didn't have Huck Finn till he was fifty. He did invents unders until he was in his late forties, or do most of his great writings that we know him for until then you go, my goodness. But one of the quotes that really helped me was Dante Aligeri from the very opening canto of the Divine Comedy of the Inferno. In one translation, when midway through my life's journey, I found myself astray on a dark road. I'm misquoting it, but you know, I thought, this man and then I looked him up, and I said, he started to write that of forty three. It took him ten years. He finished at fifty three. He's great his life's work about his journey to sort of find his spiritual connection and to meet his hero, and created his master work in Tuscan Italian and which saved the language. Actually, but the the you know, I go, I go, my goodness, I mean that was that was seven hundred years ago he did this. And then I started to look and I go Sam Samuel L. Jackson, the actor. He didn't really have his first leading role in Loaded Weapon one until he was fifty. I mean, you sit there to go, but it's Sam Jackson. And I started to see that as I went through business and I went through financial you know, Warren Buffett was a great investor and he had his whole patience thing, but ninety nine percent of his wealth has been made after the age of fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So these are all famous people, right, But I mean I can relate to this exactly. You know, it's I didn't start my healing journey and growing in all facets of my life until you know, I was forty five, and now I do my greatest work and I'm fifty six, and you know, two books that have come out and trying to help others in the areas that I've learned in through my healing journey. And you know, there's a lot that happens. You know, we've gone through through life and maybe there's a lot of pain or circumstances we've gone through, and we get to a certain place in our life where we make a choice to change and not just think about ourselves physically, but in all the pillars that you're speaking of correct and that that's where you start to create the real change in your life. So I think it's incredible that you are helping others to do that, and not in ten years, but in a shorter amount of time.
Speaker 1: Well, and doctor Carl Jung. The quote I had from doctor Yung was life really does begin at forty. Everything else is just you know, it's experienced. You're trying to build, and that's that's where we look back. I have a great patience. He's just you know, a regular walk of life. He was a machinist and he came in one day. He had some circumstances in life and he goes, he goes, I'm quitting, I'm leaving. I'm going back to school. I go, what are you going to do? He says, I'm I want to go in a early Cahood development psychology. And I go great, And he and his wife talked and and he you know, now he's now he's a brilliant licensed grief counselor and and and gone to I'm very much a friend of mine. And then his wife just went through the same thing. She was getting laid off, and they're, you know, their children are about to graduate high school. And he just said, why why are we staying here when when we're not getting the gratitude we want and these are the things we've always loved and wanted to do. We're going to take a hit here, but it's it's going to go farther there. And and I've I've seen that many times, seen people come into my office and get adjusted and they God, that's been holding me back for for twenty years. And I think, now I'm ready to kind of go live my life. And you know, suddenly their relationship is better. Suddenly they're they're going to go start their own little startup on the side. And not just forty. It's you know, I've seen that in twenty year olds and that, but forty sort of a majority. And I looked, and I go, we tend to have life stability of forty. You know, you tend to kind of know where you're going to be in your job, your relationships there you sort of know your your spiritual path, you've learned, you're looking to learn more. Maybe your finances may be stable, your your your friends groups you know, you know you're on the bowling league, or you've got your softball team, or your kids, you know, all all your friends, your children's friends' parents, that your groups of. And and he come into my office because you go, this is the lacking piece. And then I because I like to educate people, I also try to inform them that in this piece, when we complete, it is going to help bring the circle full around and allow you to finally just you know, I call it a I call it a springboard. I call it a stepping stone, not a not a midlife crisis. It's a midlife you know. It's just it's midway through your life's journey. Now where do you want the journey to go? That's that's where people get confused. So I just try these see where it takes me.
Speaker 3: I'll have a little rapid fire with you.
Speaker 2: Right Nowtiful, what's one habit that someone can start today?
Speaker 1: You breathe? You know the there's no order to my forty tips, but I start I start them with breathe, and I sit in there. We breathe all day, but we don't really think about it. And I tell people, I go, just take three to five deep abdominal breaths every day. Do it in the morning, and do it in the afternoon. Do it when you're angry, do it when you're in traffic. Just just breathe and focus on actually breathing through your whole body and just sort of slowing yourself down and then go back and approach whatever's going on. That's something most parents know, us with teenagers, so it's that's that's what.
Speaker 3: It's almost crazy.
Speaker 2: It calms your nervous system, calms that crazy, right, and.
Speaker 1: It calms everybody around you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can respond instead of react when you do take it that pause.
Speaker 3: What's one belief people need to let go of?
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't say there's any one belief you need to let go of. I would say it would be wise. One of my tips is look at your belief systems and see where they come from, and see if they still serve you, and if they don't, let them go and see if it's truly your belief or it's somebody else's or some authorities.
Speaker 3: I know we're so programmed right.
Speaker 1: We hypnotize ourselves.
Speaker 3: What does being aligned actually feel like?
Speaker 1: Being aligned? I'm going to use Bruce Lee here. He said, to be an equilibrium is to be more or less at rest. So in order to move forward and grow, we actually have to get out of equilibrium in order to move. So being aligned, you'll have that moment of alignment where you go, I'm in, and then you'll go and now I've got to get out of alignment in order to move, And then we're going to keep restructuring this idea, this concept of alignment is you know, to me, I go, great, you feel like you're focused, you feel like you're on purpose. Then you're going to doubt yourself, and then you're going to question. Then you're going to over here. But it's I would say, as long as you keep that overarching objective of where you want to go, let the journey take you there. That's aligned. Aligned is being able to be misaligned, but not getting so misaligned that But if you do what you know, like when people come to me, it's not that they're misaligned and they're not going to be. They come to me in my office because they need assistance getting that back towards center, so it's not quite as out of control.
Speaker 3: M right.
Speaker 1: There's mental adjustments, there's physical adjustments, there's spiritual adjustments.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're making me want to go. I'm sturt over.
Speaker 1: I have people fly up here.
Speaker 2: So, and what would you say to someone who feels lost right now?
Speaker 1: The first thing I tell you is, I go, take three deep breaths. You know that you're right here, then you know where you are. You can never truly be lost. Take three deep breaths and get present with yourself right now where you are. And a lot of people look back and they go, I've been wasting my life, and I know it's impossible. It's absolutely impossible to waste your life. Every single thing you've learned, every single challenge you've had, has been set there to get you to where you are now. Yeah, you may not know the direction you want to go, but there's certainly a lot of things out there. I mean, you can get out and you can listen to me, you can listen to Mark Victor Hanson, we can we can read your book Mercy and probably find some direction there. We've I've got other mentors I've worked with, and and so the second thing I do, is I go go sit down with somebody and talk to them and say I'm not quite sure where I want to go and have a discussion, don't you know? I have it back and forth like we're having right now, and and just and just go go go communicate and go connect in a very simple way, in a very healthy way, not in a crazy way. But yeah, that's a whole other conversation. But I would, but I would say, go go go find a friend, Go find an individual, Go find somebody. You can just sit down and go. You know, here's where I am. Here's all these different things. Can you look at it from outside for me? Because I'm too stuck in myself? And do you see any ideas there that maybe I can follow? That's what a mastermind really was.
Speaker 3: Mmmm yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't You don't have to have a table full of business leaders to mastermind with. You can have your partner, you can have your best friend, you can have your dog won't give you much info, but.
Speaker 3: Well, but you shore you will fill the love your dog.
Speaker 1: Your dog will love you unconditionally, and so your cat. Your cat won't admit it, but your cat will do. So.
Speaker 2: To wrap it up, one one question people should start asking themselves today.
Speaker 1: Where do I feel I've been off on my journey and how has it actually helped me on my journey?
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 3: And that's a hard one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think about so many things that have happened in my life and I've learned to be grateful for them at this point and realize that they are things that helped me to get to the place I'm at, and there are things that it helped me and they don't define me anymore, but they helped me to get to where I am today.
Speaker 1: Right, the lessons you've learned, Yeah, what was the old thing they used to have, the rules for being human that went around and said life will continue to get It'll give you the same lesson until you learn it, and then you'll get into lessons. And there's no end to.
Speaker 2: Lessons, right, there's no end to lessons, and my goodness, when it hits you and you finally learn them, ooh, it's life changing.
Speaker 1: And then that you wait for the next lesson.
Speaker 3: Always a lesson.
Speaker 2: Always you know life is going to happen, right, but it's just how we get through it and learning to get through it and see it a different way.
Speaker 3: So how can we find you?
Speaker 1: I would tell everybody go to forty over forty dot com. It's four zero over four zero dot com. Get on there right now, opt into our list. We've got a fun little download with some inspiring quotes for you. Don't have the video series completely remastered and ready to be re released yet, but if you opt in right now, you'll be on the list. We'll even give you a discount for an early bird for as soon as it's released for you to be able to get on and go through all those forty tips and utilize them right away in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, get out there and help yourself, guys, because you're listening for a reason. You're taking in this information for a reason, and there's so much.
Speaker 3: Help out there for you to move forward.
Speaker 2: And it's masterminds and this experiences that people put together to help you to move forward and wake up to your worth and to the change and become fully awake in life.
Speaker 3: So thank you so much for coming on wake Up.
Speaker 1: I'm grateful to have been on here to help people wake up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was such a powerful conversation and for anyone out there of this episode spoke to you, Please make sure to follow wake Up with Marcy so you don't miss future episodes. Share this with someone who needs this message, because you never know who might need that wake up moment. And again, if you're ready to go deeper, go grab my book wake Up. You're not Broken, and take the next step in your journey. This is your life. It's time to wake up to it. I'm Marcy Hopkins and I'll see you next Thursday with a new episode.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.