Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, The Great American, of course. Steve Gorm is the executive director of the Climate Science Polistion of America, author of many books on energy, climate change, and sustainable development, over one hundred thousand in print. His latest book, of course, is Green Breakdown, The Coming Renewable Energy Failure. We thought things were bad under Joe Biden. Fool you think it's over, just Begune. I can only imagine if Kamala Harris wins the presidency and the power that she will have for the next four to eight years, what things look like. Steve Gorm, Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Steve, first of all, it's kind of odd that we have to introduce Kamala Harris to the American people because she's been in office for about four years. She's in the Senate for about four years. You've Attorney General of California. She destroyed San Francisco. It's kind of odd we have to do this. But people have to know when they vote for Kamala Harris what they're going to get. Can you kind of vaguely and tell us in general what the policies of Kamala Harris would look like? As the president should she win. Where does she stand all of this green energy stuff?
Speaker 2: Hey, Bill, great to join you again. Yeah, she's a true green believer. She was one of the original supporters of Representative Acossio Cortes Green New Deal in twenty nineteen, which called for a lot of different things like getting rid of gasoline cars and transferring all of our electric power over to renewables and so. And she also was at that time was proposing to ban hydraulic fracturing, which actually is fairly environmentally friendly. It requires a much smaller land footprint than traditional methods of pulling up oil and gas. And she has since I guess, reversed her position on that and is now not speaking out against fracking. But we have more of the same. And as you know, the federal government right now is spending vast amounts of money from the Inflation Reduction Act that mister Biden put into President Biden put into into practice. Cato Institut is estimating eighty billion dollars this fiscal year twenty twenty five in subsidies and tax breaks to all sorts of things like a vehicle chargers and carbon dioxide pipelines and carbon dioxide capture and storage and green hydrogen fuel. Most of these industries would not exist without all this money. So it's a bad deal for the taxpayer, and it isn't going to have any effect on global warming or the climate.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing I've noticed that when it's hot in the middle of summer, it's a big story. And according to the New York Times, we just went through the four hottest days ever on the planet Earth. We just can cite it was hot. I live in Cincinnati right now. It's eighty one degrees. We've had a couple of ninety degree days, but mainly it's in the mid eighties. Doesn't appear to be here. But the forest fires that are happening, they lead every nightly newscast is demonstrating caused by global warming. We have a hurricane supposedly developing here. It is almost it's August, and we haven't had but one hurricane strike off to the side of Texas and we've had none. Every time we're told it's the hottest it's ever been, how do you respond.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just wrong. They're talking about average global temperature and we only have about fifty years of that data. But I can give you all sorts of exampless when it was when it was warmer in the past. The Rome Glacier in Switzerland exists today in a valley that was ice free for most of the last ten thousand years. The men in Hall Glacier near Juno in Alaska is sitting on the site of what was a forest. They've gone down into ice caves and found trees with roots still in the ground one thousand years old. That used to be a forest, now it's a glacier. There's a tree stump in Northwest Territory of Canada five thousand years old that is one hundred and fifty kilometers north of the tree line. I mean, there's just many, many examples that whin it was warmer in the past. But as you know, we get all this stuff in the media about how the United Nations says the planet is boiling. They're saying we're hating more hurricanes when we're actually getting less landfalls according to Noah's data. So there's just much there's much of this stuff, and it's driving the powerful, powerful ideology of climatism, which basically says you have to ban everything. That's the new favorite favorite policy of the climate change movement, banning of cars, banning of appliances. One guy, you mentioned eve ons and banned campfires.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking to these stories. How about banning gas appliance as Kamala Harris says, yes. How about banning plastic straws?
Speaker 3: Hair says yes? How about banning campfires? Yes?
Speaker 1: How about banning cruise ship advertising? Explain that one to me cruise ship advertising Harris has got to be banned.
Speaker 2: Why, Well, I don't know if she's picked that up yet, but that's in Scotland. They want to ban ads because they think that cruise ships are hurting the climate. There's a lot of other people who want to ban any kind of ads for coal, oil and natural gas. I think she may be in favor of that as well, but that's the big thing. And there's some people who want to ban golf. They say, you know, golf courses are luxually you can't afford with climate change. That was a headline in the Salt Lake Tribune recently, and that's one of the sidebars in my book, Green Breakdown. But the new tool is banned. Let's ban everything. By the way, gas stoves Ohio has taken the position. Ohio is one of twenty four states that has passed the law saying that you can't prohibit certain types of energy and new construction. We now have twenty four states doing that, But the seven states that are banning natural gas or propane and new construction, those are the ones that get all the headlines.
Speaker 3: What about California?
Speaker 1: What does California do about natural gas and gas pipelines?
Speaker 3: Isn't that now banned?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they tried to ban all that, but then the Ninth Circuit Court just overruled the city of Berkeley. There was a suit brought by the restaurant owners who want to cook with gas, and they challenged the Berkeley ban, which was the first in the nation twenty nineteen that would ban gas and new appliances, and that was overturned. So they're trying to figure out another way to do it, you know, without having to say, well, we're going to ban in construction. We're gonna do something on efficiency maybe. But you know, the thing is this again, these are not going to have any measurable effect on global temperatures, which are dominated by natural factors.
Speaker 1: Such as because right now we can regulate ourselves in a non existence. Kamala Harris at one point said smart thermostats are a good idea because if you got your house too cool in the summer, too warm in the winter, the government can override and say you can't do that. But what's happening in India, Pakistan, Russia and China. We can regulate ourselves into poverty and we'll go nowhere because of what they're doing. What's happening in most of the rest of the world outside of Europe and America when it comes to banning certain appliances, banning plastic straws, banning coal fired power plants, banning nuclear power plants, which is the greatest producer of electricity ever, what's happening in the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's well, China is the biggest user of coal today that uses more than half of the world's coal. India is a big user of coal. Actually, coal produces thirty five percent of the world's electricity right now. People don't realize that it is the biggest producer of electricity, and yet we still have a shortage. We have seven hundred million people without electricity. We have another two million people in the world that every day or every other day have blackouts. As a matter of fact, if you have an air conditioner in Ohio that one appliants has uses more electricity than about a third of the world's people get to use. So we need more energy, not less. We need to take care pollution. Of course, that means putting scrubbers on plants and dealing with other things. But this idea that we can get rid of coal, we get rid of gas, you know, that's just not going to occur, even in the United States. I think we talked about in the past how we have a coming shortage of electricity in the US because of the demands of AI and the demands of all these green programs they're trying to push. We already see people that are extending the life of coal plants. That's happening in West Virginia. They want to reopen one of the three Mile Island nuclear plants. In Pennsylvania, Utah is extending coal plants, Wyoming is extending the life of coal plants. Michigan is restarting a nuclear plant the Palisades. So they're gonna restart all these plants because we're not gonna have enough electricity otherwise.
Speaker 1: And what's happening to the so called developing world. I look at the statistics out of the UN that says hundreds or thousands of children in Africa are being killed every year in cobalt and radio mines because of the demand for these fancy batteries that are built in China. And I would note that Chrysler has advised those who drive mini vans which are plugging mini vans not to plug them in and to keep the mini vans out of your garage because of there's a fear of explosion of these fancy batteries that you can't drive, you can't plug them in, You got to keep them outside because of fires inside your house. And Cincinnati and Mason, Ohio, which is part of Cincinnati, we had some kid with a scooter that had one of these fancy batteries attached. He was firing it up in the garage, plugged it in and to burn down the house and partially the house next door. Explain the dangers of these batteries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have touched on two problems. One is one is the uh, the environmental problem with batteries, but another is that they just ignite and yeah, uh e bikes are now the biggest source of fires in New York City. They're having over it climbed from nothing four years ago. Now it's over two hundred fires a year. And these things just self ignite on the first floor and end up bringing down a building. Australia is having a huge number of e byke fires as well.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's why they don't you know, they don't want you to bring an electric battery in the baggage on your plane. They don't want it going up in the in the baggage area. But so we got we got issues with combustion. But as you say, uh, people think that electric vehicles are very environmentally friendly, but they don't realize all the work that that that goes to produce metals for these batteries. Like the Democratic Republic of Congo the biggest producer of cobalt in the world cobalt or and they use a child labor and forced labor to get that or of the hills. Then it goes to China to produce cobalt metal for the battery. And there we have vast areas that are polluted. The most famous one is u is Rare Earth Lake, which as far as you can see in every direction has been polluted by metal waste, and that comes to the US. You can drive your Tesla and you think, wow, it's environmentally friendly because it doesn't emit carbon dioxide. But nobody sees the train of social and environmental damage all the way to get that car.
Speaker 1: In fact, the Democrats are proposing that more black kids in Congo be put into chattel slavery, causing hundreds of debts to mine the cobalt. And why doesn't I'd be shocked if CBS, NBC, PBS would actually send a crew to the Congo and look at the lives of these thousands of kids in the mines being exploited, and the debts and the injuries being caused. Have you seen any story about that from CBS News.
Speaker 2: I have not, not recently. They're they're pretty disconnected. We also have issues with forced labor in China, as you know, to do a number of different things. I think there's Congress that has kind of frowned on that and is putting some restrictions on China. But the old Biden policy to shift from coal, oil and natural gas. We're the biggest producer of oil and natural gas in the world. The biggest exporter and shift everybody to be dependent on China for all these metals for wind turbines and solar panels and electric vehicles. That doesn't seem to make much sense. But if we get Miss Harrison there, we're going to get more of the same.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, can you imagine eight years of Kamala Harris and the White House? What would America look like? Energy wise? I look at all the UN reports, am I right? In the last since eighteen eighty, since the days of gunsmoke, the UN says that the average world temperature has gone up two degrees, which is probably a positive thing. Ten times more people die of cold than warm. But can you imagine eight years of Kamala Harris believing the American people want this imposed upon us. What does American look like after eight years at Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think that people are going to revolt. I mean, they're just they're just not going to take so much. I mean California, for example, prices have risen ninety six percent in the last fifteen years. They're going up about ten or fifteen percent a year for electricity, and you read all these stories about people that have thousand dollars a month electric bills. If they're run their they run their air conditional, they get a thousand dollars bill for a month. I mean, that's just just something nobody can stand. Across the country, we have a tremendous amount of people that are opposing wind and solar. It's rising and rising. Robert Bryce is tracking this kind of stuff, and so I think people are going And by the way, we of course we have a installed market for eves now people can't charge them. Hurtz just got rid of all their sixty sixty thousand electric vehicles because even owners that come to rent a car from Hurtz don't want to drive an EV. So no, I do think people are going to push back on this regardless of the election. But just a question the amount of pain that we have to go through to get back to sensible energy policies.
Speaker 1: And right now there's great pain because right now we need to double energy production over the next ten years because of all the AI centers. We have fifty million immigrants coming in using devices, using the roadways, actually living in places, driving up all the cost of housing, cost of medical care. And if we get an additional fifty million people and these AI centers all over the place, and the next ten years we have to double energy production without using nuclear, without using natural gas, without using coal. And these windmills aren't working, and the solar panels come from China. And I look at this, Steve gorm, I hope the American people put this in the mix. When you consider that Jade Vance said four or five years ago, Cat ladies that somehow trumps Kamala Harris's energy policies, which will cost average Americans literally thousands of dollars every month in additional expenses. And when you talk to energy experts, they want to use coal, they want to use natural gas, they want to restart nuclear power plants. We need the more energy to function as a democracy, and without that, that will be more and more people dependent upon China for batteries that don't work. You might recall that the energy produced by these so called five hundred million dollars was spent to have these chargers all over the country.
Speaker 3: And Pete Footah Judge admitted.
Speaker 1: About a month ago that for the five hundred million dollars, we got eight chargers and two of them don't work. The whole thing is a farce, and I hope we figured out you know, economically, we can figure this out. Well, we got to run Steve Gorean, What is your website? If any people need more information about the facts, and there's nothing wrong with temperatures going up a degree or two. In fact, it feels better. Please give the American people that information.
Speaker 2: How do we get ahold of Yeah, it's Steve Gorham gr eh h dot com and they can order all of my books. I'll send them signed copies and they can learn about all the crazy things going on with climate. Like the professor in Sweden who says people out to eat human flesh to control global warming.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there are ebooks as well. It's on Amazon, of course. But people need to educate themselves and push back on our political leaders and say, why do you want to raise energy prices? Why we have to get rid of this car? What is that going to do in terms of global temperatures? Because it's not going to do any measurable thing.
Speaker 1: We have the cleanest environment in America we've had for the past one hundred years right now, and every year it gets better because of technology and that one professor in Switzerland said eat human remains makes me think about Joe Biden's uncle who was eaten by cannibals.
Speaker 3: Maybe they were onto something.
Speaker 1: But once again, Steve Gorm, thank you for coming on the Bill cunning and your bill.
Speaker 3: Steve, you're a great American. Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's continue with more if a line becomes available. You know the routine. Imagine a whorld dominated by the socialistic viewpoints of Kamala Harris and AOC.
Speaker 3: Do you want that? Bill Cunningham, the Great American on seven hundred WLW