Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this Linux thing. I mean, it's absolutely everywhere, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It really is your.
Speaker 1: Phone, those huge data centers basically running the Internet. It's kind of the silent backbone, the workhorse. But yeah, with that power comes responsibility and well, vulnerability if you're not careful, right exactly, So today we're taking a deep dive. We're getting into Linux security and hardening.
Speaker 2: We are, and you know, there's this common idea, maybe a bit dangerous, that Linux is just secure out of the box. Yeah, I had that a lot, but it's it's really a misconception. An untouched Linux system often not secure enough for the real world. Our guide today is mostly from Mastering Linux Security and Hardening, second edition by Donald da Tavault. It's pretty comprehensive its source definitely, and our mission here is to pull out those key bits of knowledge. We want you to get not just what makes Linux secure, but why it matters and you know how you can actually do it.
Speaker 1: Think of this as your shortcut, maybe getting you up to speed on something super critical with hopefully some surprising facts and useful takeaways.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So first things first, security breaches on Linux. We often picture like these super skilled hackers in dark rooms, right, but it's not always like that. Why do they happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've hit on a really key point there. Sure sophisticated attacks exist, but honestly a lot of breaches, maybe even most boiled down to stuff that's preventable, like what well, security bugs in the OS, or apps that just haven't been patched, or and this is huge, admin's just not applying updates quickly enough.
Speaker 1: Ah, procrastination the enemy of security.
Speaker 2: It can be. But another massive one, often overlooked, is just poorly configured servers. You know, standard install often pretty insecure by default, really out of the box. Yeah, and this isn't just servers anymore. Think about IoT devices, so many red Linux and they get deployed without proper security checks. It's creating a huge attack surface.
Speaker 1: Wow, poor configured servers, that's a big takeaway right there. It's not just about fighting off attackers, but building the defenses right from the.
Speaker 2: Start, exactly the fundamentals.
Speaker 1: So if they're often insecure initially, how do we even start practicing hardening? I mean, you don't want to experiment on a live server, right? That sounds bad?
Speaker 2: Oh? You definitely don't want to do that, and that means is a super important question. How do you practice safely?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Virtual machines vms are absolutely fantastic for this. Tools like virtual Box. They let you run a whole Linux sous inside your current one. It's a sandbox, fullly isolated, totally isolated. If you mess it up, if you completely trash it while learning, yeah, no harm done, just delete it start again. Yeah, and it lets you simulate different setups too. Physical virtual cloud each has slightly different security things to think about.
Speaker 1: Builds that muscle memory without the risk. Okay, good tip. And related to that, maybe the most basic thing but often missed. Staying updated seems like a no brainer.
Speaker 2: It does seem obvious, doesn't it. But timely updates are absolutely critical. It's often your very first line of defense against known exploits.
Speaker 1: So how do we handle that on Linux?
Speaker 2: Well, for Aubuntu, you can set up automatic updates. For red Hat CentOS, there's D and F automatic does a similar job. Easy enough, but there's a catch. It's a bit of a balancing act. Automatic updates are convenient, sure, but often you need a reboot for the changes, especially kernel updates, to actually take effect the dreaded reboot exactly. So you need to decide what works for your setup. A home lab reboot, whenever a critical production server. You need to plan that carefully. Just remember that saying, you know, the only one hundred percent secure system is one that's turned off and unplugged. Updates get you closer while keeping the lights.
Speaker 1: On right, manage the risk. Okay, so system patched, we're practicing safely. What's next? Who gets in user accounts, especially that all powerful route user. What's the deal there? Bad idea to use it all the time?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely bad idea. Logging in is root for everyday stuff. You're basically doing half the attacker's job for them. How so, because if that account gets compromised, they instantly have full control. Game over. Okay, that's why Pseudo is so essential. It's incredibly powerful. It lets specific users run admin tasks using their own password.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you don't share the root.
Speaker 2: Password exactly, keep that root password locked down. Plus, Pseudo gives you much better auditing. Every command run with Pseudo gets logged. You know who did what when with root? Much harder to track.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So Pseudo isn't just like on or off. You can fine tune the permissions.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely, that's its real strength, granularity.
Speaker 1: But are there common ways people mess it up, like trying to be secure but creating a loophole.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Yes, the powers and the details, and so are the risks. Pseudo policies let you give users only the specific commands they need. You can create aliases like in software alias. Maybe let someone run RPM or Yum's root but nothing else but pitfalls. Oh yeah, being careless with shell escapes. That's when a user finds a clever way to break out of the allowed command and run arbitrary stuff anyway, kind of bypasses your rules. Sneaky or letting users run their own scripts with pseudo. That script could contain anything. A key fix is to move necessary scripts to secure directories owned by root where regular users can't just edit them.
Speaker 1: Got it control the scripts. So beyond pseudo, what about the password itself? We always hear you strong passwords? Yea, how do you actually enforce that on Linux?
Speaker 2: Right? The p PLUW quality package that's your go to. It's more than just length, okay, goople Quality lets you set detailed rules like minimum length. Sure, but also needing characters from different classes. You know, uppercase, lowercase numbers. Symbols can even check against dictionaries.
Speaker 1: Prevent password one, two, three exactly.
Speaker 2: And here's something that kind of flips the script on passwords, passphrases.
Speaker 1: Passphrases like multiple words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can actually be way more secure and easier to remember than complex gibberish. Think about P two or dollars. Looks complex, but computers guess those substitutions easily. Now. A phrase like I don't know, I really like green apples simple for you, right, But the length gives it massive entropy unpredictability, much much harder for an attacker to root force compared to a shorter, complex password. Those space account.
Speaker 1: Too, huh. Longer is better than just complex sometimes often yes.
Speaker 2: And one more practical thing, don't forget account and password expiration. Use tools like change user ad user mod make sure old unused accounts don't just sit there waiting to become backdoors.
Speaker 1: Good hygiene. Okay, so we've locked down the user the password, but the server's still facing the internet, right that digital perimeter. Firewalls, what's the Linux story there?
Speaker 2: Firewalls are absolutely fundamental non negotiable. Part of that security in depth idea layers. On Linux, the deep down engine is net filter, but you don't usually poke net filter directly. You use tools to manage its rules, like what like the older iptables or newer things like firewalled. You've has the uncomplicated firewall good Name or NF tables. Think of netfilter as the engine. These are the dashboards.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Firell is pretty neat uses zones, so you can easily say this network card faces the scary internet, apply the public zone rules, this one faces my safe internal network. Use the trusted zone rules. Makes it much simpler and has this cool feature panic mode. Firewall CMD panic on BAM blocks all traffic instantly. Great if you think you're under serious attack, a.
Speaker 1: Big red button.
Speaker 2: I like it exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the firewall, let's some traffic in. How do we protect that traffic? Make sure it's private. Hasn't been messed with? Encryption right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Encryption is just fundamental today for single files, messages, GPG, GNU privacy guard is fantastic.
Speaker 1: How's that work?
Speaker 2: Public private keys? You give out your public key freely. Someone encrypts a message to you using that public key. But only you with your secret private key can decrypt it. No shared passwords needed.
Speaker 1: Clever.
Speaker 2: You can also digitally sign files with your private key, proves it came from you and wasn't tampered with, like the source mentioned signing a message for Frank the cat. It's about trust and integrity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's files. What about like the whole hard drive or sensitive folders?
Speaker 2: Right for encrypting the entire disc? Luks Linux unified key setup is pretty much the standard on Linux. Someone steals the laptop data is useless without the passphrase. For just specific directories, maybe your home folder. Ecrypts is an option and really important. If you're not doing full disc encryption, you absolutely must encrypt your swamp partition. Why swap because sensitive data like passwords or keys might temporarily get written from RAM to the swap space on disc. If swamp isn't encrypted, that data could be recovered later.
Speaker 1: It's a sneaky leak ah Okay.
Speaker 2: And if you need encrypted containers you can share across different operating systems. Very crypt is still a very solid choice.
Speaker 1: Gotcha and quickly Web security all those little padlock icons, SSLTLS certificate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crucial point it's TLS now. Transport Layer security SSL is old news. Insecure TLS is what secures your web traffic and the certificates they prove the server is who it claims to be, so you know you're really talking to your bank, not a fake site. You have different levels like EED certificates that require more validation. Supposed it gives you that green bar in the browser. Well, studies show users often don't even notice the green bar, and sometimes they get issued incorrectly. On the flip side, free services like let's encrypt have been amazing for getting everyone encrypted. Huge win. But criminals use let's encrypt too. They get free certificates for their fishing sites. So the site looks legit has the padlock, but it's still malicious.
Speaker 1: So encrypted doesn't automatically mean safe exactly.
Speaker 2: It means the connection is private, but the site itself might still be trying to scam you. Big difference.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift to getting into the server remotely SSH Secure shell. Most of us use it, but it feels like a prime target if not set up right.
Speaker 2: Oh, it absolutely is. Default SSH settings often way too permissive.
Speaker 1: So what's the number gen hardening tip for sshke.
Speaker 2: Based authentication, ditch passwords completely. If you can use.
Speaker 1: SSH keys, Why is that so much better?
Speaker 2: Because brute forcing a password computers are good at that, trying millions of guesses per second. But to break in with key off, the attacker needs your private key file and his passphrase way way harder. Make simple broote force attacks almost impossible.
Speaker 1: Makes sense? What else? For SSH?
Speaker 2: Definitely disabled direct route log in always, we should never log in over SSH log in as a regular user, then use pseudo okay, and there are tools like stand that check your configuration for weaknesses. On red hat systems, you can use system wide crypto policies to easily enforce strong encryption algorithms for SSH and other services.
Speaker 1: Takes out some guesswork, right, simplify.
Speaker 2: Where you can. So, okay, we've hardened the way in. But let's say someone still gets in worst case? How do we limit the damage they can do inside on the file system?
Speaker 1: Okay? Now we're talking action control on the system itself. Two main types.
Speaker 2: The ac UMSI is discretionary access control. That's your basic Lennux permissions. Shimode chanund who owns the file? They read it, write it, execute it. The numbers like chamode seventy five five or six forty four. Let you set this precisely standard stuff standard but with a potential bombshell. SUID and sgid.
Speaker 1: Bits you mentioned those sound risky.
Speaker 2: They are if misused. SUID means set user ID. When you run a program with the SUID bit, it runs not as you, but it's in the owner of the file. SUID is similar, but for the group.
Speaker 1: Why would you ever need that?
Speaker 2: The classic example is the password command you need to change your password, which modifies a system file only Root can write to. So password runs with Root privileges temporarily just for that task thanks to SUID. Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, necessary evil, sometimes necessary, but dangerous if applied incorrectly.
Speaker 2: Imagine a script owned by Root with the SUID bit set that a regular user can run. If that script has a flaw or just let you run command ends, boom, the user gets Root access through that script.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 2: That's why it's absolutely critical to use the noseue bount option on partitions where users can write files like home or THAJ prevents them from creating their own SUID programs.
Speaker 1: Got it block that loophole. So if DASH, even with no suit isn't enough, we get MAC Mandatory access control sounds stricter.
Speaker 2: It is stricter. MC systems like Celinix or a Parmer add another layer entirely.
Speaker 1: How's it different from DA?
Speaker 2: With DA, you controlled the permissions on your files. With IMS, the system policy dictates what processes can do, regardless of who owns the file or which one says. It's centrally managed.
Speaker 1: Mandatory control, so even root might be restricted.
Speaker 2: Potentially yes. Selens used to have this reputation for being incredibly complex and breaking things, so people just turned it off.
Speaker 1: I've heard the horror stories.
Speaker 2: It's gotten much better. It works by labeling everything, files, processes, ports with security contexts. Then policies define how labels can interact, like this web server process label can only read files with the web content label.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Labels and rules and tools like said troubleshoot help translate this sometimes cryptic denial messages into plain English, often telling you exactly how to fix it. That's helpful, hugely helpful, and it's super relevant for containers. Now Celinux can stop a compromised Docker container from escaping and attacking the host system. That's a massive security.
Speaker 1: Win right containing the container makes sense. Okay, so we've locked down users, firewalls, encryption, access control. But security isn't static, right, it's not set it and forget it. How do we keep watching?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Continuous monitoring is vital. You need visibility.
Speaker 1: What tools help there?
Speaker 2: The Linux auditing system Audit is incredibly powerful for this. You can set up very specific rules to log exactly what you care about. Uh, like log every time any user twice to open or create a file. That's the THIAS open it rule. Or you can use predefined rule sets, maybe for compliance like PCIDSS that already cover common critical events.
Speaker 1: So you get a detailed log of who's doing what you do.
Speaker 2: The challenge then is managing all those logs, maybe feeding them into a central system. But having the raw data is crucial.
Speaker 1: Okay, logging tells us what happened. What about finding weaknesses before they're exploited? Proactive searching?
Speaker 2: Right? Vulnerability scanning? Essential tools like Linus are great for host based scanning. Host based Yeah, you run Linus on the Linux system itself. It digs deep into the configuration, kernel settings, software versions and give you specific hardening advice. Really thorough cool.
Speaker 1: What about scanning from the outside.
Speaker 2: For network scanning. OpenVAS is a powerful open source vulnerability scanner. It checks for thousands of known vulnerabilities across your network and for webservers specifically, nick Go is excellent. It looks for common webserver misconfigurations, dangerous files left behind, risky HTDP methods.
Speaker 1: Enabled, like finding a forgotten pass wd dot txt file.
Speaker 2: Exactly that kind of thing. These scanners act like automated penetration testers, finding the low hanging food before attackers do.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, malware viruses the eternal question does Linux need anti virus People say it's immune.
Speaker 2: Immune is too strong a word. Highly resistant to traditional Windows viruses yes, but totally immune to all.
Speaker 1: Malware no, So run AV or not well.
Speaker 2: The main reason people run av like ClamAV or Linux Malware Detect l and D on Linux servers often isn't to protect Linux itself. It's to stop the Linux server from accidentally storing or sharing Windows viruses with other machines on the network, like in a file.
Speaker 1: Share, protecting the neighbors exactly.
Speaker 2: Lm D is also pretty good at finding specific Linux threats like webshells or rootkits, and if you find a weird file services like virus total let you upload it and scan it with dozens of av engines. Useful, very but big caveat. Never upload sensitive or confidential fis to virus Total or similar public services. Once it's up there, it might become public use caution.
Speaker 1: Good warning. Okay, gear slightly physical security. If someone can just walk up to the machine.
Speaker 2: Then all bets are off. Potentially physical access trump's almost everything else it's off and overlooked.
Speaker 1: So what can we do, especially for laptops or servers, maybe not in a locked data center.
Speaker 2: Password protect your bootloader GRUB. This stop someone from easily booting into single user mode to reset the root password or adding weird kernel parameters.
Speaker 1: Does that stop them booting from a USB stick?
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't stop that entirely, but it's an important layer against casual attacks or someone trying to quickly bypass log in. You also need to lock down the BIOS or UAFS settings, set a firmware password, disable booting from external devices if possible, make physical access as difficult as you can.
Speaker 1: Layer upon layer. Voice okay, Finally, just knowing what's running, what services are listening, who's connected.
Speaker 2: Basic visibility absolutely Fundamentally, you can't secure what you don't know you have. Simple commands are your friends here? Netstat LBOEPN, what's that do? Shows you all listening work ports, the port numbers stand and the process using each port instantly reveals any unexpected services running.
Speaker 1: Find that rogue web server someone installed exactly?
Speaker 2: And netstet day NP shows active connections. Who is your machine talking to right now? What foreign addresses? Useful for spotting, weird outbound traffic.
Speaker 1: And for a broader networkview.
Speaker 2: In map, the gold standard for network mapping, it can scan your systems, tell you which ports are opened, closed, or filtered by a firewall. It can often guess the service running out of port and even the operating system. Understanding your own attack surface from an external perspective is critical.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, that was quite the journey. We really covered a lot of ground there.
Speaker 2: We did, from.
Speaker 1: Why breaches even happen through users, passwords, firewalls, encryption, fancy access controls like MC monitoring, scanning. It's a lot.
Speaker 2: It really underscores that layered approach, doesn't it. There's no single silver bullet.
Speaker 1: You need defence in debt and constant vigilance using tools like audit to watch lenus open vas nikto to proactively.
Speaker 2: Check, and never assuming the defaults are good enough. Yeah, always be questioning, always be hardening, building resilient systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely a lot to take in, but I feel like it's really empowering knowledge. Now you can look at a Linux system and think with that security mindset first.
Speaker 2: That's the goal.
Speaker 1: It's not just about stopping attacks, right, It's about building systems you can actually trust exactly.
Speaker 2: So maybe here's a final thought for everyone listening to chew one. Okay, even if you build the most perfectly hardened Linux system imaginable, how do you know it stays that way? How do you plan to continuously monitor your systems verify their integrity against threats that are constantly changing, constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: Hmm, good question. Keeping secure isn't a one time job, never is. Well, keep learning, keep exploring, keep asking those questions, and definitely keep securing those systems. We'll catch you on the next deep dive.