Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: So imagine you are standing on a shoreline. But this isn't anywhere on Earth. The atmospheric pressure pressing against your suit is noticeably heavier, right, It's about fifty percent thicker than what you're used to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would feel a bit like being at the bottom of a shallow pool, just from the air pressure alone.
Speaker 2: Right, But at the exact same time, you feel almost weightless, And then a breeze brushes past you. It's barely a zephyr. I mean, maybe two or three miles per.
Speaker 3: Hour, which is nothing on a beach here on Earth. A wind bit light wouldn't even disrupt the surface tension of a tiny tide pool. You wouldn't even see.
Speaker 2: A ripple exactly. But as you look out at the liquid expanse in front of you, the physics just totally break down. You are watching these massive ten foot tall swells rolling toward the shore, and because of the gravitational mechanics at play, they're crashing in this like haunting, drawn out slow motions. Such an incredible visual, it really is, And you are standing on the shores of kraken Mare. It's the largest liquid body on Titan, which is Saturn's largest moon. And we're not just making up a sci fi scenario here. This specific visual is actually the mathematical key to solving one of the most perplexing planetary mysteries in our entire Solar system.
Speaker 3: It really is. It forces a complete recalibration of our intuitive understanding of fluid dynamics. I mean, we've had radar imagery of Titan from the Cassini mission for years now.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, mapping out all those crazy liquid networks exactly.
Speaker 3: We've mapped these vast, branching river networks that physically carved through the icy bedrock and they just empty out into these mats of lakes of liquid methane and ethane. But here's the thing. Geologically speaking, when you have mature river networks feeding into a standing body of liquid, you expect to see deltas right like.
Speaker 2: The Mississippi Delta of the Nile. You expect a bunch of mud and sand to just pile up exactly.
Speaker 3: You expect to find massive alluvial fans of sediment deposited right at the mouths of those rivers. Yeah, but on Titan, the deltas are virtually non existent. The rivers just hit the coastline and stop. It's a glaring anomaly, and that.
Speaker 2: Anomaly brings us to what we're going to deep dig into today. We're looking at a brand new framework developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, specifically in their Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Lead author Unashneck and Taylor Puran, they really cracked this open.
Speaker 2: They did. They published this model called Planet Waves in the Journal of Geophysical Research Planets. And what's wild is they didn't set out to build some like sci fi Wina simulator for fun. They built a rigorous mathematical tool to solve this exact geological discrepancy on Titan and honestly, by extension, any planetary body with liquid.
Speaker 3: Because waves are the engines of coastal erosion. The MIT team basically hypothesized that if Titan's coastal environments were volatile enough, the wave action would essentially act as a giant planetary sander. It would relentlessly obliterate any sediment deposits before delta could ever even form.
Speaker 2: Wow, so just wiping the slate clean constantly, exactly.
Speaker 3: But to prove that, they had to understand exactly how waves are generated in an environment that shares almost none of Earth's baseline.
Speaker 2: Variables, right, because previous attempts to model alien oceans usually just stopped at the most obvious variable, which is gravity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gravity is the simplest calculation, and.
Speaker 2: Titan has roughly one seventh the gravitational pull of Earth. So less gravity means less downward force on the liquid, which means the liquid is easy to lift. But when I was looking at this, that single variable analysis completely falls apart when you actually look at momentum transfer. Right.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely yeah. If gravity was the only variable that mattered, a high pressure atmosphere moving across a low gravity liquid should theoretically just shear the surface right off.
Speaker 2: It would atomize it, like, just turn the whole lake into a miss.
Speaker 3: Right, So the model had to account for the liquid's actual composition, and that is.
Speaker 2: The huge critical advancement of the Planet Waves model. It isolates and calculates this intricate dance between gravitational acceleration, atmospheric pressure, and the specific the reology of the liquid.
Speaker 3: Its density, its kinematic viscosity, and its surface tension.
Speaker 2: Right and Andrew Ashton, a researcher at the Woodshole Oceanographic Institution who collaborated on this. He framed the core math challenge around predicting what he calls the first puff.
Speaker 3: I love that phrase, the first puff.
Speaker 2: It's so descriptive. You have a completely quiescent, glassy liquid surface. The model has to calculate the exact threshold of atmospheric kinetic energy required to overcome the liquid's internal cohesive forces and generate a capillary wave, just a tiny ripple, because.
Speaker 3: Once that boundary layer is broken, the physics change entirely.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that, because this transition is fascinating.
Speaker 3: Well, once you get that first ripple, you introduce aerodynamic drag. The wind starts catching the windward side of that ripple and then compounds the energy transfer, so it turns a tiny capillary wave into a full scale gravity wave.
Speaker 2: So the surface roughness increases, which basically allows the wind to get a grip on the liquid.
Speaker 3: Exactly the wind grips the water. But modeling that transition from a perfectly flat plane to a chaotic turbulent swell that requires a flawless understanding of energy transfer coefficients. You can't just plug in the density of liquid methane and hope for the best.
Speaker 2: No, you have to calibrate the math against a known, highly erratic system first.
Speaker 3: Right, which is why the MIT team didn't start with Titan.
Speaker 2: Started in our own backyard. They validated the planet waves model using twenty years of continuous meteorological and oceanographic data from Lake Superior, which.
Speaker 3: Is perfect because geologically speaking, Lake Superior operates as an inland ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's massive. It has these huge fetch lengths, violent squalls, and then prolonged periods of absolute dead calm.
Speaker 3: And the National Data Boyse Center maintains a rays all across Lake Superior. They provide high frequency sampling of wave period, amplitude, wind sheer, stress, all of.
Speaker 2: It, and having twenty years of that data allows researchers to filter out all the statistical noise, right like roague currents or localized thermal inversions.
Speaker 3: Exactly atmosphere canomalies, all the weird outliers. They fed the Planet Waves model the historical wind velocity and atmosphere of pressure for specific days. They locked in Earth's gravity and the density of fresh water, and then basically said, okay, model predict the wave height and frequency for this civic Tuesday in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: And it worked flawlessly. The model matched the buoy data perfectly. It accurately predicted the exact wind shear required to initiate those capillary waves and the subsequent growth into full scale gravity waves.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible proof of concept, it really is.
Speaker 2: But this is where the concept of viscosity becomes the absolute lynchpin. To kind of visualize this for you listening, think about it like this. If I have a wind tunnel and I blow a ten knot wind over a basin of tap water, I get immediate ripples right instantly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But if I swap that water for something really thick, like a bowl of thick honey or heavy syrup, that exact same tennot wind does practically nothing right.
Speaker 3: The sheer stress isn't sufficient to overcome the syrup's resistance to being deformed exactly.
Speaker 2: The physical effort required is vastly different. The momentum from the air mass just kind of slips over the top layer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the kinetic energy dissipates as microscopic heat rather than translating into actual wave motion. So by proving that planet waves could account for this specific viscosity and density of water on Earth using the lake superior to the MIT team confirmed their math was rock.
Speaker 2: Solid, solid enough to handle the weird alien chemistry of liquid hydrocarbons precisely.
Speaker 3: So we take this perfectly validated model and we point it back at kracken Mare on Titan.
Speaker 2: Let's really look at those parameters, because it is wild. The liquid is a cryogenic mixture of methane and ethane. It is sitting at roughly minus two hundred and ninety degrees fahrenheit, so cold, unbelievably cold, and the density of liquid methane is about four hundred and twenty two kilograms per cubic meter. Compare that to Earth water, which is basically a thousand So this Titan liquid is less than half as dense as the water we drink.
Speaker 3: And then you have surface tension which is incredibly low on Titan. Methane molecules don't have the strong hydrogen bonds that water molecules do.
Speaker 2: Right, Water exist together exactly.
Speaker 3: Water is cohesive, but the force holding the surface of a methane lake together is incredibly weak.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then you factor in the gravity, he said earlier. It's zero point one four gramsificantly lower than Earth. So the restoring force, meaning the gravity that's trying to pull a wave crust back down to make the surface flat again, is minimal.
Speaker 3: But and this is the kicker, you still have the atmosphere. Titan's atmosphere is mostly nitrogen, just like Earth's, but it's much colder and denser. It exerts about one point five bar of surface pressure.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is where I struggle with the visualization, and maybe you can help break this down. If the liquid is that light, right, and the surface tension is weak and the gravity is super low, but you have a dense, heavy atmosphere pushing across it, why does it form a cohesive ten foot wave? That is the big question, right, Like why doesn't the atmospheric drag just rip the top layer of the methane off into a fine aerosol mist. I mean if I take a high pressure air hose and blast a puddle of gasoline, I don't get waves. I get a spray of vapor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a totally fair question. It comes down to a question of kinetic scale and atmospheric density. You aren't hitting the lake with a highly localized, high la velocity jet of air like from a hose.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: Okay, the low wind speeds on Titan. Remember that two to three mile prour breeze we talk about. That means the dynamic pressure exerted by the wind is actually quite low, even though the atmosphere itself is death.
Speaker 2: So what's spreading the force out exactly?
Speaker 3: The planet? Waves calculation show that the wind transfers its momentum across a vast surface area, and it does this without ever exceeding the threshold where aerodynamic sheer would rip the fluid apart.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so it's almost gentle.
Speaker 3: It is. In fact, the thick atmosphere actually acts as a stabilizing blanket. It presses down uniformly, maintaining the fluid phase of the methane, while the wind slowly steadily piles that light liquid up into a crest.
Speaker 2: And because there's almost no gravity fighting that upward lift, the crest just keeps building and building.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and that lack of gravitational restoring force is what dictates the whole kinematics of the wave. Think about Earth. On Earth, a ten foot wave crest is incredibly heavy. Gravity pulls it down violently. That's what creates the rapid crashing turbulence we see when we go surfing.
Speaker 2: Right, that classic crashing sound and foam.
Speaker 3: But on Titan, the mass of that methane crest is very low and the gravity pulling it down is very weak, so the acceleration of the falling fluid is drastically reduced. It literally takes longer for the methane to succumb.
Speaker 2: To gravity, which creates that cinematic suspended slow motion effect as it breaks against the shoreline. It's just so mine bending.
Speaker 3: It really is. And returning to the MIT team's original objective, this completely solves the mystery of the missing deltas right.
Speaker 2: Because a two mile per hour breeze on Earth does absolutely nothing to a shoreline, but a two mile per hour breeze on Titan generates a ten foot slow motion wall of liquid methane that is carrying a massive amount of kinetic energy.
Speaker 3: Exactly. The river networks on Titan are undoubtedly carrying sediment down to the coasts. It's likely crushed water, ice and hydrocarbon particulates. But the moment those rivers meet the lags, they just get they get pulverized. The relentless, easily generated wave action just destroys the deposits. The coastal erosion vastly outpaces the sediment deposition, so the deltas are being destroyed way faster than they can ever form.
Speaker 2: It's just a perfect synthesis of fluid dynamics answering a planetary anomaly. It's so satisfying, it really is.
Speaker 3: But Titan represents the system that's in relative equilibrium today. The planet waves model becomes even more revealing when we apply it chronologically to planetary bodies that have undergone massive changes over time.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to a really fascinating part of this deep dive Ancient Mars.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Noatian period of Mars.
Speaker 2: Right, because Mars is effectively the ultimate control group for atmospheric degradation. If you look at orbital telemetry of Mars today, you see this dry, irradiated dead desert, but the topography tells a completely different story.
Speaker 3: We have undeniable geomorphological evidence of a hydrological cycle on ancient Mars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the most famous example right now, the one everyone's is jezuro Crater. NASA's Perseverance rover is literally driving around in there right now, precisely because it is an ancient paleo lake basin, and unlike Titan, jesuro Crater has a magnificent, beautifully preserved delta.
Speaker 3: Which mathematically confirms something huge. It confirms that the wave action in jezro Crater billions of years ago was not powerful enough to erode the sediment being deposited by the inflowing river.
Speaker 2: Right so the water was relatively calm, or at least the waves weren't titaned sized monsters.
Speaker 3: Exactly, But the conditions of that wave action were not static. They changed dramatically during the no action period, which was roughly four billion years ago. Mars possessed a global magnetic field. It was generated by an active core, just like.
Speaker 2: Earth's, and that magnetic dynamo protected the atmosphere from the solar wind, which meant it could hold on to a thick atmosphere, which in turn allowed for liquid water to just sit on the surface.
Speaker 3: Right. But then the Martian core cooled, the magnetic dynamo failed, and the planet was suddenly exposed to continuous atmosphere expedtering.
Speaker 2: The solar wind just started sand blasting the planet exactly.
Speaker 3: It began stripping the upper atmosphere away molecule by.
Speaker 2: Molecule, and as that atmospheric envelope bled away into space, the pressure at the surface dropped. So the MIT team took the planet Waves model, locked in the gravity of Mars and the composition of liquid water, and they effectively ran the model backwards through time.
Speaker 3: Tracking the wave dynamics is the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Thinned out, Yes, and the dynamic pressure of wind is governed by a specific equation right where pressure equals one half the fluid density times the velocity squared. So if the atmosphere density drops, the wind velocity has to increase exponentially just to transfer the exact same amount of kinetic energy to the water.
Speaker 3: Think about it like, this wind is just moving air. It's molecules in motion. The mass of the air on Mars physically decreased over time a forty mile per hour wind in a thick atmosphere carries billions of tons of kinetic energy because of the sheer density of molecules impacting the water.
Speaker 2: Right, there's just more physical stuff hitting the water.
Speaker 3: Exactly, But a forty mile per hour wind in a really thin atmosphere, it's mostly empty space. It exerts barely any physical sheer stress.
Speaker 2: So if you imagine setting up a time lapse camera on the shores of Jezero Crater millions of years ago, the model basically illustrates a dying ocean. In the early days, regular seasonal weather patterns could weep up totally normal surface waves. But as the air literally thinned out over tens of millions of years, the exact same storms rolling in century after.
Speaker 3: Century, the same wind velocity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the exact same speeds became increasingly impotent. The water was still there, the wind was still moving at forty miles per hour, but the waves just started getting smaller and smaller.
Speaker 3: It would require increasingly extreme massive gales just to make a splash, let alone generate the baseline wave heights of previous eras.
Speaker 2: Wow, you are literally watching the mechanical transfer of play planetary energy just grind to a halt. The geological engine that powered coastal erosion on Mars slowly suffocated as the atmosphere vanished. By the time the lakes ultimately froze or evaporated away, their surfaces were likely completely stagnant, no matter how fast the wind was blowing.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty chilling visualization of planetary mortality on it.
Speaker 2: It really is. So we've looked at Earth as the baseline, We've looked at Titan as the low gravity alien chemistry extreme, and we've looked at Mars as the decaying atmosphere variable. But what I love about this research is that they didn't stop there.
Speaker 3: Oh No, they pushed it way further.
Speaker 2: To stress test the math to make sure it wasn't just biased toward our local Solar system physics. They pushed the parameters to the absolute, terrifying extremes by applying planet waves to exoplanets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, testing against extreme parameter spaces is vital if you want to confirm the integrity of physico model, Yeah, you have to try and break it right.
Speaker 2: So they modeled three entirely distinct classes of exoplanets. Let's start with LHS one forty B.
Speaker 3: This one has been heavily studied by the James Webb Space Telescope. It classifies as a super Earth, and it orbits in the habitable zone of a red dwarf star.
Speaker 2: It's a rocky world roughly one point seven times the radius of Earth, and its mass suggests it could easily host vast oceans of liquid water. But the gravity on LHS eleven forty b is.
Speaker 3: Immense, which creates an incredibly extreme environment for that restoring force we talked about earlier. When wind sheer attempts to deform the surface of the water on this super Earth, it is fighting a massive gravitational anchor.
Speaker 2: The gravity is just pulling it down so hard exactly.
Speaker 3: The kinetic energy required to lift a volume of water is drastically higher than on Earth. So the planet waves calculations indicate that a windstorm that would generate say a six foot swell on.
Speaker 2: Earth like a really decent surfing one right.
Speaker 3: That exact same windstorm might only manage a turbulent chop of a few inches on this super Earth. The water is effectively pinned to the ocean floor by gravity.
Speaker 2: That is wild, and that introduces some really fascinating implications for oceanic circulation, doesn't it like thermal distribution on a planet like that. If you lack deep water wave propagation, the mixing of nutrients and heat might be severely stunted. The oceans might just be these heavily stratified, stagnant layers.
Speaker 3: It completely changes how we think about habitability. But then they shifted from manipulating gravity to manipulating the fluid itself. The team analyzed Kepler sixteen forty nine b.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this one is terrestrial, roughly Earth sized, so the gravity is familiar, but astrobiologists theorize it operates as an exovenus, which means it likely possesses surface liquids composed not of water but of sulfuric acid, and.
Speaker 3: The reality of sulfuric acid is a completely different beast entirely. We know it's highly corrosive, obviously, but mechanically speaking, it is incredibly dense. It has a density of roughly eighteen hundred and thirty kilograms per.
Speaker 2: Cubic meter, which is nearly double that of liquid water.
Speaker 3: Exactly so, even with Earth normal gravity, the sheer mass of the fluid requires intense aerodynamic drag just to initiate that very first capillary wave.
Speaker 2: You're dealing with extreme fluid inertia. A standard earth breeze simply lacks the physical momentum to overcome the density of the acid lakes. The wind would just flow right over the boundary layer with almost zero energy transfer.
Speaker 3: It requires extreme violent atmospheric velocities to generate any meaningful wave action on that planet.
Speaker 2: Okay, but even that pales in comparison to the ultimate stress test. They applied the model to fifty five Cankori.
Speaker 3: This is the lava world.
Speaker 2: Yes, the lava world. It's a tidally locked super Earth orbiting so close to its host star that the day side temperature exceeds four thousand degrees fahrenheit. The planet is literally covered in a global ocean of silicate magma liquid rock.
Speaker 3: This pushes the planet waves model to the absolute boundary of fluid mechanics because magma doesn't behave like a simple Newtonian fluid like water or even methane. How So, depending on the silica content and the temperature, magma often acts as a Bingham plastic.
Speaker 2: A Bingham plastic what does that mean? In this context?
Speaker 3: It means it has a yield stress, so it actually behaves like a solid until a specific threshold of sheer stress is applied to it. Only when that threshold is met does it actually begin to flow like a liquid.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So it's fighting the wind not just with weight, but with its fundamental state.
Speaker 3: Of matter exactly. And the viscosity is just staggering. The internal friction resisting deformation is astronomically high. We are talking about a fluid that is incredibly dense under higher than Earth gravity, with a viscosity millions of times thicker than water.
Speaker 2: So the output of the MIT model for fifty five kankrete is just profound in its darkness. To use an analogy here, it's like taking an industrial leaf blower right hurricane force wind and pointing it directly at a swimming pool filled with wet, heavy, fast drawing cement. You're gonna make a lot of noise, but you're barely gonna move the surface.
Speaker 3: As the perfect way to visualize it, if you took a category five hurricane sustained winds of over one hundred fifty miles per hour, which on Earth is capable of generating forty foot rogue waves, and you unleash that exact same aerodynamic force across the Magna ocean of fifty five kankerteth.
Speaker 2: The result is almost nothing.
Speaker 3: Almost nothing. The model predicts waves of maybe a few centimeters in height. The immense kinetic energy of a hurricane is utterly neutralized by the rheological resistance of the liquid rock. The atmospheric drag is entirely insufficient to overcome the yield stress and the viscosity of the magma.
Speaker 2: It's just incredible. It's a mathematical proof that aerodynamic force is highly conditional. It's the ultimate demonstration of boundary layer friction. The atmospheric molecules are colliding with the Magna surface at one hundred and fifty miles per hour, but the energy just dissipates his heat. The surface remains practically undisturbed.
Speaker 3: Which is exactly why they ran this test. It validates that the MIT model isn't just calculating wind speed, it's calculating the total mechanical profile of the entire planetary environment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've talked about the mind bending physics, We've visited lava oceans and acid lakes, but practically speaking, why does this level of precision matter right now? Beyond solving geological curiosities like Titans missing Delta's, how are scientists actually using this knowledge today?
Speaker 3: Well, it is fundamental to the engineering of future exploratory missions, right because.
Speaker 2: We are actively planning to send actual hardware to these environments. The proposed missions to Titan, for example, they don't just involve orbiters taking pictures from space. The goal is to deploy landers, specifically autonomous robotic vessels space boats, essentially directly into kraken Mare or Legea Maire.
Speaker 3: We are literally conceptualizing extraterrestrial naval engineering.
Speaker 2: Which is just the coolest phrase ever.
Speaker 3: It really is. But if you are designing an aquatic probe for an alien ocean, the wave dynamics are the absolute most critical parameter for structural integrity. As Engishnek pointed out in the research, the probe has to actually survive the physical and environment.
Speaker 2: They can't just sink or get batter to pieces, right.
Speaker 3: And if the engineers assumed Titan's lakes behaved exactly like Earth's lakes simply because the wind speeds are low, they would severely underdesign the kinematic shock absorption of.
Speaker 2: The hull ah because even though the liquid methane is less dense than water. A ten foot wave is still a ten foot wave, and having that crash into an aluminum or titanium hull at minus two hundred ninety degrees fahrenheit introduces terrifying mechanical stress.
Speaker 3: Exactly, materials become incredibly brittle at cryogenic temperatures. The cyclical loading of those massive slow motion waves repeatedly slamming against the probe over and over, that could induce fatigue failure very very quickly.
Speaker 2: The boat would literally just crack apart.
Speaker 3: It would. But now because of the Planet Waves model, it provides the exact wave height, the frequency, and the kinetic energy distribution that the probe will encounter based on the local meteorology.
Speaker 2: So the engineers can use those specific parameters to design the buoyancy control, figure out the center of mass, and reinforce the structural resilience of the vessel. They can actually simulate the pitch and roll frequencies to ensure the communication antennas can maintain a lock on Earth or on the orbital relay despite the high amplitude swells.
Speaker 3: It's incredible foresight. We're using a mathematical equation validated by booys bobbing up and down in Lake Superior to dictate the exact thickness of a titanium hull that will float in a sea of liquid methane a billion miles away.
Speaker 2: It's the sheer audacity of human engineering. It requires a flawless grasp of universal physics. It proves that the mechanics governing the universe aren't localized just to our planet. The Navier Stokes equations that dictate fluid motion apply just as rigidly to a lake of sulfuric acid on an exovenus as they do to a glass of tap water sitting on your kitchen counter. The only thing that changes are the inputs, which is really.
Speaker 3: The core takeaway here. It strips away are anthropic bias?
Speaker 2: Say more about that?
Speaker 3: Well, we inherently view planetary mechanics through the lens of our own environment. We assume water, we assume one atmosphere of pressure. We assume nine point eight meters per second squared of gravitational acceleration. That's all we know.
Speaker 2: Firsthand, right, It's our default setting.
Speaker 3: But this research forces us to view Earth not as the baseline for reality, but simply as one specific coordinate on an infinite spectrum of physical.
Speaker 2: Variables, and when you adjust those coordinates, when you tweak the density, or dial down the gravity, or strip away the atmosphere, the reality of the environment transforms radically. The next time you look at a puddle trembling in the wind, or watch waves crash on a beach, realize you are watching a miraculous invisible equation balancing Earth's exact gravity, air pressure, and water density. Just tweaking one of those numbers turns our familiar world into a completely alien landscape.
Speaker 3: It completely changes how you look at the natural world.
Speaker 2: It really does. The interaction between moving gas and standing liquid is the primary geological sculptor of coastlines across the cosmos, and knowing that the mechanics of erosion operate at completely different extreme depending on the rehology of the local fluids leaves us with a pretty profound final thought. If the slow motion methane waves of Titan can erase vast river deltas and the dense, viscous oceans of other worlds remain completely undisturbed by hurricane force winds, we really have to consider the unimaginable geomorphologies waiting out there in the deep universe. What intricate bizarre coastal architectures, cliffs carved from exotic ices, or abyssal trenches hollowed out by heavy acidic tides have been sculpted over billions of years. They are out there right now, operating under a set of physical rules we are only just beginning to mathematically comprehend, just waiting to be discovered,