Speaker 1: Books. It is me Dan Reichert. I have played and beaten Metroid Prime for really marathoning this game over the last three days. I just finished the game with ninety eight percent items. No idea where those last two were, but I'll go back a second time. Folks, if you were hearing this, that means thing Bargo has lifted on Metroid Prime four review coverage, which I have written a full review written style if you've ever heard of that, that is on our website. That is on giant bomb dot com. So if you want to hear my full thoughts out there, not just rambly podcast style, I would say go to johnbomb dot com read my review. But this is a game that I'm the only one here who has played it outside of demos and preview events and stuff like that. So I went to field questions from the Metroid curious here on this call. That's right, I've got Jeff Grebb, Mike Manati, Jeff Backler, Turbo Sean all here, all interested in the Metroid Prime for folks, hap me with your questions.
Speaker 2: Uh, were you able to romance Miles?
Speaker 1: No? I have thoughts about Miles. If you want me to go into it, we can do that now.
Speaker 2: I don't. Yeah, and like you know, I'm like terrified of spoilers still and I normally am not butt spoilers.
Speaker 1: Which is, yeah, this is good to say up front here for folks like I'm not going to like it's it's a Metroid game. There's not a ton of story going on here, but I think I can speak to things like the concerns about Miles and the chatty characters and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think at the very top, what would be the most helpful is like, what's.
Speaker 2: The deal man? You like this game?
Speaker 1: A what?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Five? What do you think? Five stars? Stars? Perfect? That is not what a five stars means. That's never what I a No, got a couple?
Speaker 2: Are there more than five stars on the scale?
Speaker 1: No, okay, got it them.
Speaker 2: I guess my question there is that you know, Metro Prime one to me is this monolithic game, and then it has two sequels that are also good to very good, but few people will say that they are as good as Metro Prime one. When you're saying that this is five out of five, that is actually beyond my expectations for a Metroid Prime sequels.
Speaker 1: How are you handling this mic, I need, I need a check.
Speaker 2: Try to keep my excitement in check, because I want it was already excited. I played the demo at a target Kiosk and then Dan coming out, you know, with that kind of score, I mean, should I be expecting to like this as much as Metroid Prime one? I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess all you can be now is disappointed.
Speaker 1: I would say I'm going to hold off on I actually have not written review yet. I have the outline, but I'm going to hold off on any super declarative like this is where it's this is the better than one or whatever. I will say for sure, definitively, this is definitely better than two and three. It's not even sure discussion. I could see a world where after I let it simmer a bit and really think about and everything, where I do say this is my favorite one, but I'm not going to depend who say that yet. I will say the feeling I had playing this for sixteen hours, I can only compare it to the feeling I had playing at Metroid Prime one in Winter Break two thousand and two, sixteen, and I did this again. That was about right, and that that is about where the other ones were as well, and that was with ninety eight percent items, which you can get these like kind of scout bots at a certain point that'll tell you like, okay, in this area, we're going to mark the collectibles, and here's the overworld scalpot where we can mark that and everything. And I got every one of them that the scout bot pointed out, and I went back. I did a whole thing. I was up till three or four last night getting everything, and it's like I got to the point where it's like, hey, do you want to do you want to move forward? I mean, there's no going back after this. And I was like, well, I'm a ninety eight percent. I definitely want to get one hundred. Maybe that last two percent is in the like end end game and I did not get it. So I got to figure out where the last two percent is. But yes, it's ninety eight percent on items. Is it like ninety three percent scans if you remember, you know scans from the old Metro Prime So like right, I went very hard on it. So that was close to completionists.
Speaker 5: I would say, okay, I guess my thought, and this does kind of lead us to you know, the concerns on the Internet. But the overall feel of the game, I'm wondering because Dan, you've you're at least familiar with all of the Metro Prime games. You know, we talked a little bit, like, you know, you reviewed Prime three back in the day, but that was what like seventeen years ago or whatever. It's been a long time. Yeah, So I'm kind of curious. Does it feel mostly like Metro Prime one where it is more isolated?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, specifically about isolated. So that's the question because.
Speaker 5: Hang on, because because as the series went on, it's clear that Retro wanted it to be Nintendo's Halo because Halo was popping off at the time. So by the time they got to three, they could develop in a way where it was more cinematic, more cut scenes. The beginning was a lot about the Federation, and then it puts you into traditional you know, Tray Prime as you expected from one, and the most part too. I'm just curious if they it sounds to me like they struck a balance base on the way you've talked about.
Speaker 1: It so far, I think so it definitely does not seem like outside of the beginning, which some of you have played and seen. It does not feel at all like it's going for like a Halo vibe or like a Call of Duty campaign level or anything like that. That first setup is very much like, h we're.
Speaker 2: Turns in the thing.
Speaker 1: We got to get the artifact we got like oh, you know, yelling and shooting in a big war scene and stuff like that. That is kind of the only time you're gonna see that level of it. Now. There are characters that they introduce, starting with Miles, which you know we've talked about on on podcasts and stuff so far. And there is there is a crew. There is a crew that you do find. It is a limited crew. They definitely are not all like Miles. They are you know, different, just kind of archetype of soldier types and stuff. There's like, you know, a girl that's like, you know, kind of fanygirling. I was like, oh my god, it's Sam, and so I want to I want to open the door with Sam. Is I want to take a picture where there are you know, like that type of stuff. But I will say, you know, I don't have a lot of tolerance for obnoxious characters that talk a lot and stuff like that, Like I hate like that a Loys and the Mamers and things like that. None of it is that. None of it is it. Like the like that first part you've seen when you meet Miles and you get him down in Fury Green and stuff, he's being kind of talkative and stuff. After that, Miles is mostly relegated to Like I thought it was gonna be more of a codec thing because when you go to a map, you can hit X to call the radio, and like half the time, if you're in like one of the big areas or whatever, like I'll call them dungeons. For lack a better term, it just says communication disabled, so you couldn't even talk to him if you want it to. And then it's just like the time he'll kind of chime in on the radio, is like, oh, in between these big kind of more dungeon like areas, you're kind of roaming the open world, and he'll just be like, you know, if the game senses that you've just kind of been driving around aimlessly for a while, he'll come and be like, hey, you got that thing, you should maybe go Maybe you can go past that lava river now, you know, like and it'll show up on your map. So he'll kind of nudge you in a direction, but it's few and far between.
Speaker 5: So so it's it is Metro Prime four, the sequel to Prime three, but maybe made knowing that a lot of the core fan base really identifies with the one the most when it comes to METROI Prime, and so they may with that in mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 1: Thing is like two and three kind of took swings where it's like two had the whole kind of dark world thing going on, which you know, kind of turned me off. That's kind of my least favorite thing in the Prime series. And then Prime three, you know, it's on the we you know, a bunch of motion control stuff. You know, as you mentioned Sean, there's more kind of like a story and things going on there. So this one, despite the fact that it is quote unquote like an open world and introduced some new elements, like you know, the motorcycle, it really does feel a lot more like one than it does two or three. Cool you.
Speaker 4: When we were talking early, you were kind of like kind of giving us your early ideas of like what you were feeling about the game, and you were you were heaving around like a four point five obviously that's just something like you were just like feeling it early on. Is there a moment where you're like, hey, this is a five star game. This is the exactly what I wanted, Like, did you okay, go ahead?
Speaker 1: No, it was last night. It was last night. So I mean I was actually like pretty much all day and all night last night I was playing. And it was during that really lengthy play threas, like as I was kind of going back and kind of just mopping up everything before the big stretch at the end where I was like, you know, once you have all these powers and stuff, and it's that metroid thing that like you're going back to old areas, but now the enemies are going down easier. You have access all these things that you were just kind of like making a mental note of before, like Okay, I'm gonna need a spider ball to get through there or whatever. When you have it all, then it's just like all right, this place is blown wide open. All the doors are open for me, you know, And it's like I was having so much fun, and it does that ability the thing where as you keep gaining abilities, the game just keeps getting more and more fun just to move around these spaces, and like, as I'm moving through these old spaces, it's like, oh, I remember when I didn't have this or that or this or the double jump and stuff. And now I'm just flying around, I'm grappling around, I'm killing things, I'm charging up a triple thundershot and screwing up all these robots that messed me up before. It's I was like, I had that moment where it's like, I don't know what else I would want a Metroid game, a Metric Prime game to be than this. You know, this is exactly what I wanted.
Speaker 2: What about the motor cycle, Like, how much of that is in the game? Is it interesting? Is it mostly like kind of just transporting you to different kind of sections of the area, And is it is it like its own giant area of itself where it feels more open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it is very much relegated to that open world. So Soul Valley is the hub world. And I think this is important to note here. Is that it is you know, I'll use the phrase open world for lack of a better term, but this is not the Metroid Breath of the Wild. It is not that it is Soul Valley is much more akin to hirol Field from Ockery enough time where it's like it is an open area. You can choose where you want to go. Oka, I'm gonna go to Death Mountain. I'm gonna go to Lakehilliya, you know whatever. But there's not a ton of stuff there. It's not a breath. While where there's one hundred and twenty shrines, there are like occasional little shrines you go into and solve a small little puzzle, you get some some currency and stuff. Well, very zeld ish.
Speaker 2: That's that analogy, like completely answers my question makes sense to me now know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is like hirol Field, I would not call empty, but it's not like littered with stuff everywhere you turn. So this is what it. Yeah, No, this is a desert and it is like, honestly, one of the main things you're doing there is there are these kind of green crystals everywhere, these like clusters of green crystals, and like there are crystal beating well okay, and they're like so you'll see in your menu, like there's a crystal kind of hud element and as you hit certain lines, you know, Miles will call you back like, hey, you should come back to the altar. You'll get like an upgrade or whatever. So I would also very much suggest to people as you were playing, even early on, just be getting a bunch of crystals. You know, if you see a green crystal, they are finite. They don't like regrow, they will regrow clear, and then you just get normal like energy and missiles and stuff like that. But to get that green crystal currency, you want to hit it and then you only get it once, so get them as you're going through so you don't feel the need to do a bunch at the end. But anyway, Yeah, the motorcycle is for Soul Valley and there are some fun like little puzzles there and things where it's like some rams and if I can get up to that plateau and hit this boost or like there's a missile upgrade that is in between this big kind of rock formation and I can kind of ramp up and hit that and you get five extra missiles. But yes, largely empty, and it is mainly a way to get between again. It's kind of like hiro Field and Akarna. There's like five main areas basically, you know, there's like you know, Fury Green, which Jeff you saw, Mike you had mentioned before the kind of lightning area from the trailers that is volt Forge, which volt Forge is just a stunning area. It's awesome, that's great.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: That's where you get the bike, and so yeah, the bike is for getting around Soul Valley, collecting all those crystals, finding the occasional shrine. And then when you go to one of these five main areas, there's like a little place that you kind of put your bike and just going. You kind of just like rev it up to open it up and move on. Like there's almost like a load screen thing where like you know, Fury Green will launch you from a cannon into the area. You know. One of them is like kind of a train, like a tram that you go on Mic that's almost like a monorail. So yeah, yeah, so there is some obvious separation between like Soul Valley and then these five other bigger areas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Neat the psychic abilities, how much do they factor in? Do they feel like replacements for abilities we might have had before, but sort of palette swap? Do I do they feel completely fresh?
Speaker 1: Like what it is I would say that is I wouldn't. I don't want to reduce it to just pallette swap. But it does feel like there are certainly abilities where it's like, okay, these are things we had before. You just put the word psychic in front of it and you've got it's kind of like purple now you know. There's like, oh, the psychic boostball and the psychic you know, spiderball. I don't know if we get all the names right. The psychic grapple, things like that. It's just instead of the grapple beam, you're getting a psychic grapple instead of this, you're getting that. There is there are a couple that are new, like I don't know if they've shown any previews stuff. There's like like your charge shot with your energy beam. If you do it while you have kind of the psychic vision on, you can curve it. You can control the our quick look. Yes, yeah, it's like a heavenly sword when you were shooting arrow, you know, of course, so you can like after touch it. And by the way, the gyro stuff in this game, there's a lot of tweaking you can do so individual abilities where you're like, okay, do I want to be able to like grapple with motion. Do I want to be able to target individual limbs and stuff with motion? Do I want to like, you know, all these very specific things. And I tweaked it a lot because I did find that the gyro stuff was fantastic to use, which remind me later I'll touch on the mouse stuff and how I don't even know that's necessary because like it doesn't do anything that the gyro doesn't do better, honestly, But yeah, the psychic powers, there's the occasional once where it's like almost like a telekinetic thing where it's like, okay, I just need to move this crystal and a pattern to open a door, which you know, metri Prime three did some of that stuff, but it's it's largely it's kind of just a branding of like it's your scanner is through your psychic vision, which it is better now because it's like instead of little red and orange squares, it is just like the psychic vision. If it is something that you can scan, the entire thing, even if it's a big statue, will all be green and everything else is kind of purple, so things like stick out more and it's easier to kind of get around and figure out what to scan, you know, But yeah, I wouldn't say there's a ton of like some of it looks cool, like the psychic boostball is like if you see these certain kind of purple things that the ball can go into, it'll like shoot you along like a spirit track for lack of a better term, right, But like, yeah, it's it's all. It feels kind of more like a branding aesthetics thing. It's just a lot of purple stuff, a lot of It's.
Speaker 2: Not like the force awakens all of a sudden, No, it's.
Speaker 1: Just kind of ethereal. Like there's cool Like there's platforms where it's like let's say there's an area and oh, I can't get up to that platform up there, but you see some like pink clouds. Basically you can go into your psychic ability. You can just kind of like kind of scan the pink cloud basically into like fill in these psychic platforms and sure you can use to get up to that area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like it's just because each of the prime games has a theme after one, like two is light and dark, three is the phase on this sounds like psychic is sort of just the theme of this.
Speaker 1: It's the theme, and it's even it comes down to the suit like samos hays the crystal in her helmet and everything. So yeah, that is the theme. You were getting talked to from a lot of ghosts of an ancient race of you know, aliens. It is it is what I want. There's a lot of ancient ghosts talking to you.
Speaker 5: Brand cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I am curious though about like the mouse controls and like just if you experiment of all the control types you do, like the classic more take stock control. Is that even an option in this one?
Speaker 1: Boy tanks not like without dual analog like originally did I don't know if I want it to be an option.
Speaker 4: I kind of liked the idea of the purest controls. I mean I would never use him, but yeah.
Speaker 1: I did not see that option. I don't know there's a way you could tweak it to make that the case. But it's like this is more like if you played Metroid Primary Mastered. A lot of that is more like by default how it feels, which felt great. So the thing is a lot of these boss fights specifically again you might have seen some of them, will have very specific weak points to hit, and if you just do the lock on, like the ZL lock on, it just kind of locks onto center mass, you know, and you do need to tweak a little bit. So like when I did the preview event in New York City, I was doing the mouse mode, and of course that was set up in the most optimal way with like basically a giant mouse pad in front of me. And it's like, oh wow, that's actually is easier to aim at these four spots on this guy's chest or whatever. But I'll say it's just as easy and better, honestly to use the gyro stuff. So you can you can even tweak the threshold that you need to move the controller for it to kind of break away from that, you know, center lock on. So I kind of messed with that a little bit because you don't want it to be too weak because most of the time you do want to aim dead center, but you want to be able to break off and like, okay, I need to hit this thing's limbs, you know, at a certain point. So I would say, get into those options. Tweak the motion control stuff you're liking, because I did think it was very very solid. But the mouse, the mouse itself, you know, I did try to do. You know, they say like, oh, you can just put it on your leg, put it on your thigh, on the couch or whatever. I mean, it kind of works. I think it could maybe work better in like a Mario Paint Mario Maker situation where it's not like, you know, there's some difficult boss fights and stuff in here. I tried a few boss fights in several different ways, and the gyro was was head and shoulders better than the mouse.
Speaker 3: I thought, Okay, when I was playing I it took me about, you know, fifteen minutes before I kind of locked back into remembering, you know, how.
Speaker 1: It all controls.
Speaker 3: But I do think there's like quality of life improvements that maybe I wasn't able to like immediately discern. What are you seeing do you, as someone who's probably more familiar with, like, you know, how that original one controlled and how two and three kind of went, Like, what is the most substantial and kind of glaring set of improvements that you think you've been able to kind of saw us out.
Speaker 1: I mean, something that's pretty striking about Metroid Prime back to the first one is that like it aged incredibly well. I played through Base Metroid Prime and remastered both in like the last five years, and even the base one is like it still controls very very well and there's not a lot of hiccups. As far as the quality of life stuff, I would say some of the stuff in this one is just snappier. You know, you get in and out of animations faster, like the boostball things like that. You know, doors open, there's not as many, like you'll notice like a big kind of like load time when you go into or out of these like from the open world to the big areas, but it's doors open when you shoot them. For the most part. I'm not butting up against the game at any point here. I don't think I.
Speaker 2: Guess along that line, like how kind of guiding was the game, because you know we've seen metro games sometimes it's like pretty much figure it out or something. It's like, yeah, we're gonna on this map.
Speaker 1: I I got stuck exactly as much as I think I want to, because even in that gets times, Yeah, yeah, I don't want to. I don't want you know, if Miles was in my ear tell me where to go all the time, I would hate that. It's a metrod game, and like I definitely got lost. I definitely would see, you know, missiles and upgrades and be like, I don't know that that's not a new item money to get. I just don't know how to get there. You know, I have everything I need like that type of stuff. But even I would say that's an improvement over Metrod Prime one, because even though I beat that game several times, there are still times where it's like, ah, do I need to go back to that underwater area? And then I will futs around there for like an hour before I realized I don't really need to be down there, and like I didn't have any giant I'm waste playing this. You know, I would generally know where I needed to be at any given time, and then it's just a matter of figuring out, like, Okay, what's the puzzle to open this door? You know, how do I get down to that area that's marked It does do the thing where it's like, here's the map and then oh, we've detected the signal that you need to get to it way down here, and it'll kind of pan down there and you've got to kind of fill in the blanks to get down there. Oh cool.
Speaker 5: That That's always been my favorite thing about prime one and zero mission when they're just like, here's a waypoint you need to get there. Eventually, we're not going to tell you how to.
Speaker 2: Get It's not a GPS, Yes, it's exact.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's no GPS stuff here, it's just a pin in the map. I love Love, which is speaking of that in the map and the overworld, you can set markers down. So like early on when it first opened up the old because it takes you know, maybe between an hour hour and a half to open up kind of soul Valley, and it opened it up, and it was like, okay, you can set markers, you know, and I'm thinking, oh, that's very Breath the Wild. You know, I could set a missile marker, I can set this or that there. And then they also said like basically, there's there's five mcguffins you need to get and by the time you get there, you've got two, I want to say, by the time it opens up. And then it's like, all right, there's three more to get get him in whatever order you want. And I remember I was taking notes of being like, okay, well they're doing the Breath the Wild thing. But then it's like it was clearly trying to tell me to go to this one. But I was thinking it was like you know, in Breath the Wild, they're kind of like inching you towards the water area, but you can go to the Rito village or whatever. But they were inching me towards one, and I was like, well, this is any order. I'm there's clearly like this big tower thing over here or whatever. I'm gonna go over there and try to go there, and there was a thing blocking me. And that's that's the time where like Miles will comeing and be like, ah, doesn't seem like you're able to cross that right now. It doesn't seem like here. So it does make me wonder if it is actually linear in terms of like you can't do it in any order. It's weird because they say whatever order you want, and then I tried to go out of the order and they're like, I can't go there. So I'm guessing that most people will do things in the exact same order if there is even an option to go.
Speaker 5: It is cool. It's cool that it's like cryptic enough that you don't know the answer having fished the game, like almost entirely.
Speaker 1: I like that a lot. Yeah, yeah, I mean I'm gonna play I'm definitely gonna play through it again.
Speaker 4: How cinematic was it? I know you said there's not a ton of story, but like when the cinematics did pop up, where they did, they feel like top tier animated television sort of thing or what I mean.
Speaker 1: The vibe of this game, just the from the direction to the look and everything is just top top tier. So even if the story is very much Metroid and ancient race of ghosts and you're the Prophecy chosen one whatever, you know, it's like I'm not going to sit here and say the story is the best story I've ever seen in Become. But the way it's just like, as I'm watching these cut scenes, you know, I'm not a big story young games. It's kind of the perfect amount to me. It's enough to just kind of set a mood. I get a sense of you're the bad guy, these guys are on my side. Everything looks really cool. Everything just the direction of everything is great and nothing oversays it's welcome at all. And I would even say by the end, like the crew is like I was fond of them. I think that thing is like that well that relationship in those characters, Like, I do think it.
Speaker 4: Works like for people who want more that they would be able to get more from scanning. I guess how much scanning.
Speaker 2: Did you do?
Speaker 1: Talk about that I scanned everything, you know that way. I was almost like scanning too much because I kind of learned after a few hours, like pretty clear that these things, like every box in every area you can do a different scan too. You gotta wait for the like circle to go around, like this is a medium sized container meant for moving this from that for that, like, I'm still scanning every one of these for some reason, so it's really taking my prime. Yeah it's prime for sure. But yeah, there's you know, log books and things like that, and if you want to like it does a great job of in the menu, there is a log book section where it's just kind of broken down to like, Okay, here's these federation soldiers, here's these enemies, here's all the kind of floor and fauna of viewers the planet. Here's all the enemies. So like, and you can go in there and see a lot a good amount of flavor texts and things like that. So if you want to dive deep, you're into metroid Lore and stuff like that. It's there for it.
Speaker 2: Just how pretty is the game, Dan, I mean, it looks very pretty. Play a little bit, it seemed seems like it's just the best looking that tend to game we've ever seen to me, but uh, I mean that hold up the entire way.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, it is stunning. It is. It's it seems like it's on a different console. I mean, because like I'm going to switch to obviously, yeah, it's much more powerful than Switch one, But like Nintendo's just doing that first party magic where it's like they clearly, like I don't know if they just have a secret code they type into like unlock some capabilities the third party doesn't have, but.
Speaker 2: Do not give that code to a game freak. Whatever you do.
Speaker 1: Banza, I mean sounds great, but this runs way better than Bonanza. It looks just beautiful. Just the design of all these characters, Like oh on some of the like you like Samus, you know, as you kind of upgrade your suit and things like that, it's just by the end, you just look at Samos. I was like, god, damn, that looks cool. Like it's just a cool looking character. But all of these areas. They just seem like there's just that sense of like alien religion that surrounds Metroid and it really nails that tone. It's a lot of just like you know, chanting as you're looking at these shrips and just these ancient statues and stuff like that, and it's, uh, it's as good as it's ever been.
Speaker 4: Does this Sam talk and if so frequently, like does she even have like one line?
Speaker 1: I don't remember that. There are a couple of times where it's like somebody will say something like I remember there's one point where she like shrugs her shoulders and she's got the big balls on her shoulders, like there was something so defined, like you know, like shrugged. Yeah. So, uh no, the arena, there's the balls, there's the balls.
Speaker 2: Joined Prime one mob bobble that came out when that game was new head. It's a bobble tor though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that reminds me. You know, I stopped buying Ambo's a while ago. Mike's Mike's just wabbling away. I stop buying ambos a while ago because they just keep making them and they keep getting more expensive, and so like all these Metroid Prime ones, they they introduced it's like, okay, well whatever the bike, but now I love the bike. I think the bike looks awesome. I think this game is awesome. But these are super expensive, so I haven't scanned them. I don't know what they do because I don't own the expensive new ones. And I was like, well, surely I've got all these old ones. I've got the cool Gummy Metroid, I've got all the cool Samwich ones, Dark Sam. It's all this, so you know, at least the series ones to do something, folks. They make sound effects. So you go to the Ambo thing, you scan a Samus and it's just like does the like just like little chimes and stuff.
Speaker 2: That's better than like the Soda ones, where it's just like you get five rupees.
Speaker 1: But that's something that happens in the game. This literally triggers a sound effect in a menu.
Speaker 2: Wow, they really have given up on Ambo's support in the games.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the real expensive ones do, but boy, yeah, don't tell you what though.
Speaker 2: I bet the same thing I got to.
Speaker 5: I got to the Prime four Amibo and they look real nice.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I've been wading off just to give people birthday opportunities for.
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I'm sold. I'm ready. I'm so freaking excited for uh this guy. I mean, gosh, it's been a long time day. Did you go into that with like any of those kind of like, wow, we've been waiting forever for this game. Better to live or just kind of take it as it is.
Speaker 1: I Mean, the way I kind of deal with big releases, and I have for a long time now, is like I don't super follow like you know, early preview covers and stuff like that. I'm not trying to gobble up every you know, leak and stuff like that. So I kind of like to go in as blind as I can, Like I'll see a trailer at the Game Awards or during a director or something like that, and I just won't think about it until it's out. And usually I just kind of reserve all of that until the game is in my hands, and then I'll put all the thought into it. So it wasn't like all this like hype and expectation and did a deliver on that. It's just like, all right, the new metrocs out, I'm gonna play it, and I just it come to me on its own terms, and it just blew me away every step of the way.
Speaker 4: Do you still think there's a chance it would get delayed to next year and help out your fantasy credit.
Speaker 1: I'm myself myself with the score I'm giving it.
Speaker 2: It's very big of you to not take.
Speaker 1: I'm very curious to see how it's gonna review, because I was thinking for a while, like you know, four point five, it's like, yeah, there were some things that I do think will be polarizing. You know, I think even though he's not that big of a deal, obviously, people have kind of decided that Miles is a huge problem or whatever. He's not. Also, Mike, you mentioned one of those trailers. People were complaining about the desert being empty, Like I can I can see that being a thing. It's like, honestly, it's kind of empty. It's kind of just a place to go to hit some It's a desert and there's not a lot of d there's not like oh, here's the more kind of like there's trees and grass like, no, it's it's a rocky, sandy desert. It looks like that throughout.
Speaker 2: I hope people do kind of like get the whole. You know, this is like higher field even a little bit like the Great Scene.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Granted, people complained about the Great Scene as they thought it was too empty, and I always thought that was a silly complaint back then. So who knows how people are gonna react to that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's something like the Great Sea, Like it was kind of a thing where it's like, oh, I gotta pull out the one, I gotta call the thing, I gotta do the wind, I gotta do all this this one. It's just like, oh, sorry, real quick. The way you hop on and off of the bike, it's so I talk about how snappy was, like get in the bootball and everything. You hit the plus button and it's just it's kind of that elden Ring Torrent style where it's like it's not you're like you're not whistling for your horse and waiting for it. You were just like pressing start. Samos jumps like twenty feet in the air, does like a backflip, lands on it and you can just hit the boost and go. And like I was testing stuff, was like I would jump off kind of a little cliff, you know, like a twenty foot cliff and hit a plus in mid air and it's just like a land on a motorcycle and you can go from the boostball to the bike and it's just, man, it all looks so cool. They feel.
Speaker 5: They did show that in a trailer where like Samos is driving and then she like almost does a slight of Cura slide and like backflips off and then you're just in first person. I'm like, Sam's is so cool, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Cure slide is like if you hit B to boost and then you hit it again afterwards, it doesn't and like that can attack things, and like there are a couple kind of like mini boss type things in the desert, so you know there's like a big like sandworm type thing and it's just like, yeah, you are just like boosting up, like hitting its tail with your motorcycle, hopping off, shooting. It's it's really good.
Speaker 5: Did you play it in the I Assume four K sixty mode?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because handheld it is it's one twenty. I did a little bit of that, but the four K sixty looks fantastic.
Speaker 3: I went twenty mean refresherrate.
Speaker 5: Yeah one hundred and which that's still blowing my mind that I'll be able to play Betroid Prime for first party Nintendo game at one hundred and twenty fs, Like, I really want to try that out.
Speaker 1: It's it looks so good.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I cannot wait to hear what you guys have to say about it, because I know you're all fans and looking forward to this one, and like a long time it has They did it right. I think I was a little skeptical, you know, with the restart and everything, and just kind of the spotty history of you know, even two and three, you know, doing things at and quite like this one. There's just a lot to like.
Speaker 4: At your prime one is number two of my top one hundred games of all time. I just it's just very very important to me.
Speaker 2: So baby steps of Jeff. But it's close, don't spoil jeez.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is like we're so close to the game of the year or two, and it's like I had this like, well, I'm pretty sure this is the general order I want, and then this slides in there and I'm like, is this my number one? This might be my number one? You know.
Speaker 4: I snap, I'm going to ask you for that declarative statement here in a couple like maybe a week, Dan, you got a week to sit on it, and then I want you to come back and tell me, really where this game?
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, I do think if I said that one was better, I think you'd have to be talking factory in nostalgia, because in terms of just what the game is doing and the boss fights and just the moment to moment hard again, I played through one to its entirety twice in recent years. I think this is kind of doing most things, if not almost all things better.
Speaker 2: I officially excited and don't want to know a single other thing about this.
Speaker 1: I'll also talk about it on the BombCast and uh, you know, in person and everything, so you'll hear plenty about it. So of course, yes, can't wait for you all to get your hands on it.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: That is my thoughts on Metroid Prime four again. To see it all written out and typed internet letters, that is on giant bomb dot com. You can see the stars in Purse all the stars. Actually I did put all the stars on the metro them and I put all five on the reviews, so there you go. You can check it out. But yeah, go go play it. It's good. Thanks Dan, that was awesome. Thank you