Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 2: Key Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture, Ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: K if I am six forty Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 4: Now it's time for the Runner Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you get nothing else out of Death of a Unicorn, buy the extra insurance when you ran a car in case you hit a mythical creature. When you're on the road in the middle of nowhere with your snotty daughter on the way to do a job for a family of despicable rich people. I think I got all that right. Here's some of the trailer for Death of a Unicorn. It's a little long, but it lays out the situation pretty well. And I think I bleeped out the F bomb. Be ready anyway, foosh?
Speaker 5: Really, are you okay?
Speaker 4: It kind of felt like it was showing me something.
Speaker 5: I guess it's feeling. I don't think we're supposed to be here. The Leopolds donated this entire nature preserve, and they care about a lot of things, not just pharmaceutical.
Speaker 4: Fine, I will sit there and smile.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry what happened? You want from the airport or what it's perfect timing.
Speaker 3: I need you to act like everything is fine.
Speaker 5: Is there something in your car? A lot of species in this area are rare.
Speaker 3: What exactly are you saying this is?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 3: I think we know exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: Horse like mammalia with some sort of protrusial growth.
Speaker 4: It's a unicorn.
Speaker 5: I don't think I should be in in swim shorts for this moment. I don't think that we're supposed to have this. We need to study it. Whatever it is, it seems to be the cure for cancer. Cancer.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest one.
Speaker 6: An opportunity for greatness, for immortality.
Speaker 5: Have a big sorry, dad, Please, you're supposed to be We need to give the little one back. Okay, bad things will happen, your tuer, You do whatever I have you to take care of you. Few retreat in the face of opportunity. That horn was rather girth, So.
Speaker 3: That's just ended at girths Got that pay for the coverage? Do some doughnuts avoid the magic courses with the single huge horn? A Death of Unicorn is a horror comedy that manages to be both a little offbeat and pretty formulaic at the same time. Sort of a fun concept and a fun cast. Paul Ruds the dad. Jenna Ortega is the daughter, although honestly he looks young enough at fifty five that they are not immediately sure if they aren't a couple. Instead, Richard E. Grant is the dying patriarch of his family that's filthy rich from pharmaceuticals, so you know what their karma is going in And if you've never seen him in with Nail and I from nineteen eighty seven, the funniest drunken buddy lout comedy of all time, for God's sake, fix that. I know it's streaming on Max probably other places as well. Tayleone's his wife where she'd been. Will Poulter is their idiot, wasteful son. He played Adam Warlock in that last Guardians of the Galaxy movie. And the bald guy who played NoHo Hank in Barry is there put upon pardoning manservant Anthony Kerrigan's his name? What's the deal? Then the daughter bonds mystically with the whacked unicorn. Then the pharma ghoul family realizes you can harvest all the magical stuff from unicorns to inject, to drink to snort, possibly uses suppositories, and it does everything from clear up your complexion to clearing up your terminal cancer. And it turns out unicorns aren't cool with this. They don't stay dead, and they have extremely violent, pissed off unicorn friends, all while the father is trying to repair his relationship with his daughter. And those are your screenwriting one oh one basics. I want to put this right out there. I'm all for impaling the rich on unicorn horns. It's a no brainer, especially pharmaceutical rich. I think we'd all like to see the Sackler family get their just desserts from pretty much any mythical creature, maybe kicked by centaurs. There's an idea, now, don't you steal that killer centaurs. I like Paul Rudd. In fact, I think soon people who don't like Paul red will be held without charges at black sites overseas. But the pacing of this movie is a bit sluggish. The writing never lives up to the novelty of the premise, especially the dialogue with the rich. And there's never a second where you're not abundantly aware of the fakery of the horse monsters, whether it's a cgi one chasing someone down a hallway or a practical version of one lying down, and made me wonder, actually, if movie special effects are getting worse somehow, and when things really get going, the mad cap of it all just does not glue together. Sorry horses to the point where my mind was wandering and I started thinking about having to sweep up after some of these things in a parade. It's the first feature from the director and writer Alex Sharman, who's mainly been a producer up to now. He may be heading back to producing. It's hard to make horror comedies because a lot of the times they're just not enough of either. And I got to wonder what Sam Raimie could have done with something like this. Here's your pull quote publicist. Death of Unicorn doesn't need to be euthanized like a horse at Santa Anita, but it's a long way from being a perfect special once in a lifetime thing. You don't dare, miss, miss miss Also, I'm available for the Killer Centaur script. Mo, did you drop pictures of unicorns and rainbows? You're peachy? It's cool. I absolutely did. I knew it. I knew it, so listen. Last week, a weekend rather, I watched this great old comedy from the early eighties called Used Cars with Kurt Russell, and it made me wonder, when was the last time we saw a really great recent comedy. This wasn't it. That's all I got, MO, it's back to you. Well you didn't like the movie though, right, Uh, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but I can't really recommend it.
Speaker 4: Okay, you were You were nicer in your run A report than you were in your off air conversation. Yeah, I was some blood. I was like, okay, he's going for the throat.
Speaker 3: That's I'm kind of confused.
Speaker 4: I'thing like, okay, did he like change his mind during break something?
Speaker 3: I think all I said to you was followed by a thumbs down. And this was just that's enough, that's enough. You pooped on it, and then you gave it a thumbs down. This was just an expansion of thumbs down.
Speaker 4: Okay, you made it seem like it was plausible, Like you know, your mileedge may vary. You may enjoy it, but it's not a code Brown.
Speaker 3: It's not a complete code brown. It's uh, some people do like it. But I get the impression from what I've seen that people are saying that these are people who haven't been to a lot of movies.
Speaker 6: I don't know, it's Mark, we can't go with a lot of people. I don't care about you. I care about you, I don't care about a lot of people. I don't want to hear about Oh what they say and people say no, what does Mark say? Well, if you were reading between the lines, Tuala, this was a mixed to negative recommendation.
Speaker 4: You see when we talked earlier, there was no mixed There was just thumbs down. His thumbs down. It wasn't like horizontal thumb First.
Speaker 3: Of all, let's be careful with that. The thumbs are copyrighted. And I don't want to get sued. Do you want to get sued? Look, okay, okay, we're not. We're not gonna hold you to the thumbs down. But when you poop on it, when you give it a straight verry, always a poop it is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is followed by a thumbs by, by a thumb going down, that means that means it's going to trash.
Speaker 3: Basically. Basically, basically, I'm kind of confused. Man, Well, it's like, uh, sixty five percent trash? How's that trash is trash? But it still falls on it like the rotten tomatoes rule is like if it's under fifty percent or something like that, it's it's no go. But that would be a d Right, Well, we're not in school, no, Mark, Mark.
Speaker 5: Confused.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 6: If if there's trash, if there's trash in the trash can right next to you, right and it's halfway full, are you reaching your hand in there?
Speaker 3: Because frenzy is this going on right now?
Speaker 6: I need for this I need for this film to get a definitive either code brown or you know what's their great letter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's more nuanced than that. To life you do swine? You called a swine.
Speaker 4: That seems like an insult, like one hundred percent trying to.
Speaker 3: Get trying to get clarity, where's the wine? If you want me to be absolutely clear about something that's very banal of you. I really I think we've beaten this dead unicorn to death. And then
Speaker 1: Go to the new You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty