Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: And thank you, Emma.
Speaker 3: I like your energy. I hope I can match it for the next four hours.
Speaker 2: My name is Dan Rey. Yeah, I amma. How are you? I'm good? Are you? I'm doing great? You sound great, you sound great.
Speaker 3: You're filling in tonight for Nicole, but I'll tell you you did a great job.
Speaker 2: So thanks much. Thank you for the intro. All right, we'll talk soon. Hope to see you soon.
Speaker 3: Well, good evening, everyone, welcome and in we start another full week of Nightside. Be here with you all week long, Monday through Friday. I am delighted tonight to do a program that we've done once a year now for this is our eighteenth annual college Admissions Panel. I think this is a critically important program for everyone who listens to Nightside, and I hope we've mentioned this and promoted this enough so that if you're a parent or a grand or betty at a student in high school thinking about applying to college.
Speaker 2: We have two.
Speaker 3: Legendary emissions directors with us tonight. I'm going to start off with Grant Goslin. He's the dean of Undergraduate and mission Singular and Financial Aid at Boston College. Grant has been with us now for several years. He succeeds John Mahoney, who has retired, but in the meantime also was the provo. You've always had great, big shoes to fill, Grant, but you're doing a fabulous job.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: This is your fourth or fifth year with us. Maybe maybe it's a little more tell us, tell us how many years you've been with us doing this.
Speaker 4: You know it's been a few. It's good to be back with you, Dan. I really appreciate the opportunity to engage with you and your listeners tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you you admissions folks, men and women do great work. I know that that Bill Fitzsimmons, who's also with us tonight and is going to be participating in his eighteenth panel. First one we did was two thousand and seven. Bill Fitzsimmons is the Harvard College Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid. Bill fitz Simmons, welcome back. You've had a legendary career from being a student and an athlete at Harvard and have worked in admissions there for I'm not going to say how many years, but it's been a few decades and you're a legendary person across the country. So thanks so much for coming back for year eighteen. Bill fitz Simmons, how are you tonight.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, and thank you again for your commitment to higher education for all these years, and thanks to Amma for giving us that energy for us to have another great show. Because when you think about what's happened in over those eighteen years and how higher education has become much more critical in lots of different ways for people in America around the world, it also, at the same time, things that are happening not just at BC but at Harvard, but even on the newscast, you know, things that are happening in the state of Massachusetts with community colleges and junior colleges. And it's always good for us to remember that about eighty percent of the students who go to college in the United States go to public universities. And it's also good just to remember that as you step back from it all, most of the rest of the world sees America's higher education institutions as the gold standard. So there's a lot for us to live up to. But there's an awful lot going on just in this state alone. That makes me very optimistic for the future.
Speaker 3: Well, both of you, like you just to give some folks an idea, this is the busy season. Well every year is that? Every time of years of busy seasons? For an admission dean or admissions director Bill fitz Simmons, give me an idea about you at Harvard. You actually go out and seek out people for admissions and application to Harvard University. You're out finding people. How many states in your career in the last few years have you traveled to just basically tell people in different parts of the country about higher education and about Harvard University.
Speaker 5: Well, and I think you've got the order write a whole idea as we go out across the country and across the world is to talk about the value of higher education. But even before we get there, not everybody has to go to college. What everybody has, I hope, an ambition to do is to make the best of their talents, you know, whatever they might be and wherever those talents might lead. We go out with four or five different travel groups every year around the United States and around the world, and you know, we hit over a two or three year period, we hit every state in the US. And you know, we're also doing a lot now virtually, so we're doing things with Zoom recruiting across the country and around the world. And you know, when you think about you were speculator, and you and I are pretty much contemporaries, Dan as you know, both college goaltenders back in our days most successful.
Speaker 2: I cannot compare to what you did at Harvard. So I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 5: Well, we all tried to do exactly the same thing. And I think I've been in admission since nineteen seventy two, been at Harvard since nineteen sixty three, and it's incredible to me. I mean, the Harvard I attended was four to one male to female. Now there are slightly more women than men. There were very few first generation college students like me at Harvard at that time, and now over twenty percent of Harvard students of first gen and about twenty percent of Hell grant recipients. There were very few students of color in my era, and today there are many. The idea is that there is talent everywhere, but honestly, opportunity is not possible. It's not there for a lot of people in the same degree as it is for others. So the whole idea is to make sure we get word out to talented students everywhere literally this country and other countries that they have an opportunity to developed their talents. That's that's the idea, And they don't have to end up at one of our universities. But the whole idea, we hope is that they'll end up making the most of their own talents. But these places have changed.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Over half the students at Harvard now are on need based financial aid. We're spending two hundred and sixty million dollars a year right now on undergraduate financial aid. And as I grew up in Weymouth, we ran a gas station and a mom and pop store, and I was lucky enough to get to Archbishop Williams and then eventually to Harvard. But I will say it's a world. Harvard and BC have changed in remarkable ways over this period of time, and we will get even better, we hope, in the years ahead.
Speaker 2: Well I'll tell you again. I just want you to know.
Speaker 3: If anyone who knows Fitz Simmons was great goaltender at Harvard, my nickname in Boston State was redline. So we'll leave that part of the conversation all from now. Nothing to compare Grant. I want to come back to you. BC has in the last fifty years really transformed itself tremendous leadership. How many applications is Boston College receiving for how many spots these days? It's very competitive.
Speaker 4: It has become Dan, you know, you're right. The last fifty years have really been I think the modern story for Boston College. We were founded back in eighteen sixty three and at the time were really charged with educating the sons of immigrants that were left a few educational opportunities at the time, and we were largely a regional institution for most of our history up until the early nineteen seventies when we were facing some pretty significant financial headwinds, and the leadership at the time, Father Monan and succeeded by Father Lay He had really put Boston College on a course for growth regionally, but then nationally and internationally as well. We receive somewhere between thirty five and forty thousand applications a year. We're looking for an entering class of about twenty four hundred students, you know, and just as Bill said, you know, our task is really about how do we reach students wherever they are to help them think about college as an option. As Bill said, not everyone will desire to go to college, but we hope that students are at least thinking about that as an option. And the reality is high schools across the country and around the world are not all the same, They're not all provided the same resources, and there are students that just don't have the wherewithal of their knowledge to really get out there and understand the opportunities that are available to them. And so it's our job to make sure that as we get out in the road, we're not only visiting schools that routinely send us applicants each year, you know, feeder schools if you will, but that we're we're making sure that we're attending schools that are are opportunist, opportunistic schools for us, those where we see great potential but we just haven't seen the application volume yet. We work really hard to get into both private and public high schools, to work with community based organizations that that really fill the gap around college counseling at at many underfunded public high schools where you know, if you look in the state of California, for example, there there are nine hundred students in a public high school to every one school counselor, and that school counselor is not earmarked as a college counselor. There they're truancy officers, their academic advisors, their mental health counselors, and they also do a little bit of college counseling. And so community based organizations are an opportunity for colleges to pair up with nonprofits that are really filling that gap and providing students with access to information about colleges. And you know, Bills Team and mine, you know, we're out there really trying to make sure that students understand that opportunity is there. And just like Harvard, you know, Boston College is also deeply committed to need based financial aid and making sure that every student who qualifies has the funds they need to be able to accept the offer of admission.
Speaker 3: We're talking about two admissions directors. Bill Fitzimmons Harvard College is Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid. You've just heard Grant Goslin, the Dean of Undergraduate Admission and Financial aid at Boston College. I have a lot of questions. I'm sure people in our audience does, and I'm hoping that there are students out there tonight who are embarking on this on this search, this search for the right school, for the school that best fits their need, their talent.
Speaker 2: We want to talk.
Speaker 3: About the difference between SAT exams and ACT exams, the importance of high school grades, teacher recommendations, essays that students might might might be asked to write about themselves, all sorts of questions about FAFTSA, which is that Federal Aid for Student Loan Applications, which now I think there's been some hiccups on that this year, so we have I have a lot of questions, but I hope all of you out there, whether your parents, grandparents, students do not hesitate six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. Those are the two ways to get through. I'll try, We'll try to get to as many of you as possible, I promise, but you have to do your part in that style.
Speaker 2: In My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside.
Speaker 3: Really appreciative of the time that Bill Fitzimmons and Grant Goslin, Bill of Harvard, granted BC. The admissions directors at both of those great institutions will spend with us tonight. This is their high season there in the process of formulating acceptances which will be sent out. I'm sure early admissions will be coming out probably by the end of the month, and then the other admissions will be out. They're still they're reading, reading, reading, It's a gargantuan, humongous, herculean task, and for them to take some time for us tonight, it's really very much appreciated. Back on Night's Side as we conduct our eighteenth annual college Admissions panel.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z the News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: This is our eighteenth annual college admissions panel. This is an opportunity for you, whether you're a student, a parent, grandparent, or family friend, to speak directly with Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard, Grant Goslin of Boston College. It is their staff which decides who's accepted and who isn't. But more importantly, we want to try to guide you. We're not just talking about Harvard or BC tonight. Of course, two of the pre eminent schools here in the Boston area. But talking about other issues, So let me start off with again, assuming that the student is interested in going to college, and there are a lot of successful people who never apply to college. They get out in their own in their own business or in the military or whatever, and they're very successful people. How important would you say high school grades are? I know students focus on the Scholastic Aptitude test, whether it's the SAT or the ACT.
Speaker 2: But give us a quick review.
Speaker 3: Bill will start with you, maybe on the importance of the marathon of the four years in high school compared to that one day performance on the SAT or the ACTS.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you've pretty well summed it up in introducing the question doing well on a day to day basis in anything. It's the foundation, you know, for any kind of achievement or excellent. So let's, you know, let's start out with doing well in each and every subject. We hope as you go through the process, if you're not so lucky to be in a school that is offering absolute top academic opportunities, there are things available and for example, in con academy sort of free free test prep, but also free ideas on how to study different subjects as you're going through high school. So let's start with that, and I want I turn the next step having to do with standardized tests, probably over to you Grant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, Bill. You know, I think the environment around standardized test has changed a lot in recent years. I think over the last thirty or forty years, there have been a small number of colleges that have offered test optional admission plan that tended to grow a bit through the two thousands, the twenty tens, but really when the pandemic hit in twenty twenty, in the next cycle, after the pandemic hit, many colleges and universities realized that test centers were closed and students really didn't have access to take advantage of testing. If a student could take an exam, they were doing so under duress, right if the student behind them was coughing, they were wondering, you know, might they get sick next? And so I think there was a huge shift coming out of the pandemic where the vast majority of colleges, even those that had not previously been test optional, moved into that environment. And then once the pandemic subsided, and you know, we moved into a different state. Things have begun to evolve again, right, And there are some schools that have re implemented testing, others that you know, still remain test optional. But what test scores have done is they've allowed colleges and universities to understand student performance in context, both nationally and globally. Where high school curriculums can vary so widely, it can be difficult sometimes to really understand a student's strength and potential, and test scores can do that. There is a predictive element to them. Boston College is an institution that remains test optional, though this year we have added a recommendation to students that if they have scores, we're recommending that they submit them because they again do provide some additional context, an additional opportunity for us to advocate for a student. And honestly, during the test optional time that we went through, there were a lot of students that really struggled with whether to submit scores. They looked at a mid fifty percent range that a school might provide and they said, well, I'm in the middle fifty percent of that range, right, And so there were students opting not to submit scores when they were scoring in the ninety seventh or ninety eighth percentile nationally, but in their mind, if they weren't above that fifty percent range, they weren't competitive. And that's really not how we make decisions. Test scores are when they're used, they're one factor of many that provide again, another data element for us to make informed decisions.
Speaker 3: Again, it is a complex process and it can be a daunting process. And what we're trying to do tonight with Bill fitz Simmons and Grant Goslin, Bill from Harvard for many years, granted at Boston College, is to kind of demystify some of this. There's all sorts of other topics that I want to ask them about. But when we get back, we're going to start with phone calls. And as far as I'm concerned, we can go phone calls for as long as you want to keep the phones ringing six one set, well, not the entire night, that's for sure, But the gentlemen have committed to an hour, and if the phone calls persist, I think we might be able to convince Steven a little longer. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six one seven, nine, three one ten thirty. My name is Dan Ray. I'm just a host of the show. I'm I'm learning and continue to learn. Every time that we've had one of these college admissions panels, there are a whole bunch of topics that I have questions on. Don't rely upon me to ask you a question, though, because I might just not think of it, and you're thinking of it right now.
Speaker 2: Give us a call.
Speaker 3: Coming back on Nightside with Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard and Grant Goslin of Boston College. They are both the top guys in the admission department. The titles are similar. Harvard College Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Grant Goslin, Dean of Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid.
Speaker 2: Back on night.
Speaker 3: Side, calls and questions and students out there pick up that fall. We want to hear from you, most importantly.
Speaker 1: With Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: We have not even scratched the surface, but we have with us the eighteenth Annual College Admissions Paneled. Bill Fitzsimmons, Harvard College Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, and Grant Goslin, Dean of Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid.
Speaker 2: At Boston College.
Speaker 3: Now gonna get right to phone calls, and as I say, rule it will take him as many as we can. No begging, no pleading, only getting. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to reach either Bill Fitzsimmons or Grant Gostlin. So let's go first off to Joy. What a great name. Joy is in the great state of New York. Joy, Welcome to night Side. You're al with Bill Fitzsimmons and Grant Goslin. Go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Oh, gentlemen, thank you so much for taking my call. Please don't make fun of my accent. I'm from Long Island, New York. You're gonna you're gonna love my name, all right. I'm glad you like my name because I purposely married a guy who's last name Robin my first name. So I'm actually Joy Mouley. Okay, that's easy to You can't make that at So my question is, gentlemen, thanks again for doing this. It's super insightful for parents like me. Grant. I am a very proud Boston College alum class of ninety four. Boston College gave me a chance in life. I'm first generation college and you know, not having parents who went to college. I don't know what I did on my application to have BC accept me. I can tell you that if I had to apply today, with my SAT scores and my grades, I highly doubt BC would accept me as a student. My question is I hear a lot from parents where their kid is a valedatorian, a fludatorian. They've got exceptional grades like four point six GPAs, and they discovered the cure for cancer, and they have like remarkable resumes, but they don't get into the colleges that they want to get into. So for a parent like me, I encourage my kids to excel, but I also don't want to kill themselves either getting the grades and the scores. How do you all look at an application? Do you look at it holistically? Is it in their essays? Like, what do you guys you know, really look at I mean, I know greeves and SATs are important, but let's say, for example, that they do well in school, but their SATs are alton on the weak side no matter how many times they take it. You know, is there is there a strategy? Is there a recipe for how you look at the application?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's let's start off with Grant, we're not going to cut you off. We're going to get a reaction from Bill fitz Simmons too, But since you're a VC, since you're an Eagle, we'll start off with Grant Goslin with this question. Go ahead, Grant.
Speaker 4: Well, Joy, it's nice to meet you. Thanks so much for calling in. Always good to meet a fellow b C alum. Thanks for your question. You know, this process is is stressful and it is challenging. Of course. You know, we institutions like those that Bill and I represent are really in a fortunate position where we have applicant pools that are really full of students that impress us as we work through their applications. You know, each each student we look at, we're looking at a whole host of things. And you mentioned holistic admission and absolutely both our institutions. I certainly can let Bill talk about how things work at Harvard, but you know, at Boston College where we're starting with the transcripts, and as we talked about in the last segment, if students submit scores, we're going to look at those as well. But the reality is that at the most selective institutions, there's a difference between being being qualified and being competitive, right, And most of our applicants are qualified, right. They could come to our institutions and do very well and graduate and be quite successful in life. But I've always explained that it's the applicant pool, not the admission office, that sets our selectivity, right. And if students elect to enter the field of a highly selective admission process, they're taking on a bit of risk. And you know, we are going to be doing our best to make sure that as we craft our class, we're bringing forward students from a wide range of backgrounds. You mentioned being a first generation college student, you know that was given a chance. And I think both of our institutions are really proud of the work that we continue to do at providing an opportunity for access to students whose families didn't have that opportunity before them. We're proud members of an organization on this quest Bridge, which is a national nonprofit that works to match first generation and low income students with top universities, and we enroll over one hundred students a year through that program. And so we're balancing opportunities like that with going after students that might come from schools that do have really strong track records of sending students to universities like ours. But you know, there isn't a formula. We're looking at after those objective criteria very much, how that student has engaged in their community, their school community, their local community, how they may have wrote about areas of interest or backgrounds or experiences that they've had that we believe would enrich our communities as we're bringing them into to Boston College. So I wish I could tell you there was a formula, but there isn't. Our decisions are made after really close consideration of both objective and subjective criteria.
Speaker 3: Bill at Simmons, let's get a little view from across the river to Joy's issues.
Speaker 5: Well, I think Grant summed it up well. But that's you know, a simple way to think about it. And by the way, Joey, I am thrilled to hear yet another first gen success story such as yours. And you know, I all I can say is that as we were running our gas station and convenience store in Weymouth and thinking about what we might do in the future, I had three siblings, all of us you know, decided various ways that we wanted to head off to college. I was lucky enough to have one sibling go to Yale who knew another one go to stone Hill, and yet another to Boston College, and we all had great experiences. I think the way to think about it, especially over to say the fifty year period, is that one of the great success stories, among other things over fifty years in college admissions, is the fact that so many women now are applying to college, which was not the case before. As I said initially, and one of the reasons it is a bit more difficult to get into college now. Is a good thing in the sense that people from many different backgrounds who might not previous generations have applied to college are now applying. And the other really great thing, and you can see it right here in the Boston area, is that there are so many great choices, public and private. We sometimes forget that. You know, we are living on what the world calls the America's college town, and this is a you know, there are forty five institutions of higher education in the immediate area, and if you look even beyond the institutions of higher education, this area is the best in the world right now. If anyone interested in the applied life sciences. When you look at higher education, you look at the hospitals, look at the research possibilities. This is an amazing place to go to college. And the fact is that seventy percent of Americans will end up going to college within fifty miles of their homes. That's been for quite a while, and most ninety percent will go within five hundred miles of their home. So there are so many great possibilities. And the way we make our choices is that we look at as Grant suggested, we look at the entire person. We call the whole person, and we'll look at academic accomplishments. We'll look also at extracurricular accomplishments, things that you do to help around the home, things that you might do in work possibilities, as we did in the gas station and store, and we lived right across the street, so we had plenty of opportunity to do that. But we're also trying to figure out of all these you know, mostly fully qualified students who apply, who might make the biggest contribution to the fellow classmates into the faculty during college, and then what kind of contribution they'll make to the world later on and you know, this is there about fifty of us and it's a one person, one vote, and we put everything up on a screen for everybody to see and discuss and then vote. But I think we do exactly what you would do if you go back and even just think about your own high school and you could admit a relatively small number of students from your high school to spend four years together in an educational environment. Whom would you choose? Where you just take the ones with the highest test scores and grades. Probably not, although you'd factor that those those variables in, but you'd look way beyond that. And I think that's what colleges do, and that's really what a great private sector organization will do as well. Look at everything, look at all the talents.
Speaker 2: Joy. I hope that that covers the waterfront for you. Okay, thank you so.
Speaker 6: Much, Thank you so much, y'all, have a good night. Take care.
Speaker 2: Where's your daughters first choice? Joy?
Speaker 6: If I could ask, well, I mean she grew up with you know, BC merch as they say, and into the BC Women's hockey games and she plays hockey, so you know, but she would not turn down an offer from Harvard either. I'm also glad of the Columbia University. I have five degrees, and I cannot stress enough the chance that they took on me having, you know, not the greatest academics. But BC was really my starting point, my my my bounce into five years later being accepted into Columbia for graduate school and moving on. And I worked on Wall Street. I was an investigative reporter. I'm now a doctor of vacupuncture with my own practice, and BC gave me the foundation to really realize what I wanted to be. So I am living proof that if you give someone a chance to excel, chances are they'll do it. I had the right tools and I'm forever grateful for that.
Speaker 2: All Right, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Best of luck with your daughter and your and whatever out of the children are replying.
Speaker 2: Thanks Joan, thanks for listening to that.
Speaker 6: Thanks have a good night. Take care you too, have a great night.
Speaker 3: We'll take very quick break back with Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard and Grant Gostlin of Boston College right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Let's go next to Sam is An Everett. Sam, you were next on Nightside with Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard, Grant Gostlin and Boston College.
Speaker 7: Go right ahead, good eating gentlemen. How are you.
Speaker 2: They're doing great? Sam? What's your comment or question?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 7: Comment in a question? I am a high school dropout. I'm from Boston. I live in Michigan Hill. I ended up going to Roxbury Community College. I was a single father. I raised my son on my own. I went to RCC, and then I applied to a number of school was accepted by all of them except for Harvard. Ended up at Amorous College out in the AMers, Massachusetts. Came back to Boston, went to law school or a practicing lawyer here in the city. I dedicated at least two hundred hours a year of non billable pro bowl work for underserved folks. And as I'm sure the Kale knows, community college is now free in Massachusetts. And I have two part question. The first part of the question is how much outreach do each of your institutions do respect to drawing from the community college pool. And the other question I have is and it's a concern that I have seems to me that community colleges are becoming more and more trade schools and not focusing on liberal acts and creating thinkers. There seem to be designed. It seems that their mission has become to help people get you know, respectable jobs, but not move on to the next step, to go to go to for your school, to get a higher degree.
Speaker 3: I think they got the question and just hold on, Sam. I want to give them each a chance to jump in here. Bill, why don't you start this one place.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, okay, one of the Sam. You've had quite an educational journey and you probably know more at the ground level about you know, what is happening in the state, about the projection that people can be on, you know, depending on which avenues they take. We have about a ninety eight percent graduation rate, and honestly, very few people drop out, so we only have a limited number of spaces available for transfers. But I will tell you whenever we see good possibility of you know, whether it's bunker Hill Community College or Roxbury CC or any of the others around and about, they would certainly get a lot of attention in our pool. It's a even on the newscast coming in tonight, your your point was made, you know, that there's been a great, great thing that's happened this year this you know, twenty percent increase in students going, you know, to community colleges in state, and that's got to be good long term for the health of the state in terms of developing the full talents of the people in the state in a way perhaps that's never been done before.
Speaker 2: Sure, but a great quick comment, Grant, is it comment in here as well? Quick Grant?
Speaker 4: Yes, Sam, thanks so much for calling in for and for your question. You know, I think this the second part of it was, you know, a comment about preparing students for trades or preparing students for jobs, And unfortunately, I don't think that's limited to the community colleges. I think the many in the public view, even for your institutions, as almost a means to an end. And I think you're right that we're losing the opportunity to really educate students about the value of the liberal arts, to be free thinkers, to be problem solvers, to deal with ambiguity, all the things that a strong liberal arts education that students might find at our institutions and so many other places, I think is a critical part of education. We at BC are really trying to also help students that might be thinking about a two year path. We just opened last year on the former campus of Pine Manor College that is now the Brookline Campus at BC, a two year residential associates degree program. We know one of the challenges with many students at community colleges is the completion rate as students are commuting from home and are distracted in different places. We're bringing in over one hundred students a year, first generation students from backgrounds that where students need significant financial aid to explore this idea of a two year associate's degree that could give them multiple paths. They could go into the workforce after two years, or they could continue on at Boston College or at another four year institution to complete a bachelor's degree. So we're trying to be part of the solution, trying to help students that might be thinking about two year associates degrees in a different way, not just think of them as a track for employment, but to think about a four year degree as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and let me just add Grant's point is really an important one. And when you're thinking about people thinking only about the return on investment that a four year college degree will bring. First of all, there's a lot of misinformation out there in the world, probably more now than there has been in all the time during my career. It is absolutely the true that you have a much better chance of making a lot more money, just to put it bluntly, if you graduate from a four year institution than if you don't, and that has been proven time and again with studies of Georgetown, all kinds of different places over the past few years. And yet there's this somehow urban legend out there that this is not true, that you'd be better off not going to college, and so on. I mean, one of the things that too that people use is a way to discourage people from going to college. In a funny way, they talk about debt. We haven't required loans for our financial aid. Students are fifty five percent on need based aid. They are not required to take out loans at all. They graduate debt free after the four years. So this is a whole different thing. This urban legend that somehow going to college won't pay off seems to have particularly affected men in the United States versus women. So in any case, all I'm saying is that we want people to think of college, going to college as a way to become better citizens, citizen leaders, better human beings, better informed about how to live your life, all those other things. But if you do go to college and graduate, you do have a much better chance of economic success than otherwise, just spite what you might hear or on on different social media.
Speaker 3: All right, gentlemen, I gotta stop it there, Sam, great call, great question. Congratulations on such success that you have had as somebody who talks out of high school.
Speaker 2: Hats off to you, my friend. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Keep calling this program, right, gentlemen, Ken, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Sam.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, we have more calls I need to Are we up for going a little longer into the net into the next hour?
Speaker 4: I hope surely.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I'm happy to do it. It'd be great. This is a great show for any institution of higher education.
Speaker 3: Sounds great, sounds great. We will, We'll get to more callers. We had a couple of folks who dropped off. Feel free to call back. Six one seven, two four to ten thirty six one seven, nine, ten thirty back on Nightside with Bill Fitzimmons of Harvard Grant Coslin of Boston College talking about applying and being accepted to the college of your choice.
Speaker 2: Back on nightside,