Speaker 1: Hello, Jessica Simpson. Hi, Hi, Jessica Simpson. Why am I saying your full name every time?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I love it that you are, but you can call me Jess.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jess, it's Brady here.
Speaker 1: Kiss FM also on in Nashville and Connecticut, all the places that you're stopping by and performing. So this is a great opportunity to talk about what you got coming up.
Speaker 3: Thanks for taking the time.
Speaker 2: I know everything is so exciting. I feel like I'm starting a career all over again.
Speaker 3: Do you when was the last time that you put out new music?
Speaker 2: Ooh probably two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feels like it feels like a brand new thing for me. And now I'm doing it independently. So I'm even more excited about it because I get to do it how I want to do it.
Speaker 3: There's no rules because you made every place.
Speaker 4: That I'm going.
Speaker 2: I'm excited every show that I've had, Like, I've only had one full length show and that was in Pennsylvania. So this next show in the Chicago area is my first, like you know, full show, and I like rework some of my old music with the band that I have now that's doing Nashville Canyon, which is my new project, and it's just so exciting to be able to revisit some of my past but do it in my forties and do it my way. It's just a very exciting show, Like just to I didn't know if people would actually even show up when I was doing Pennsylvania. Just to see people out there and singing along to like the new stuff was so exciting, but also singing along to the old stuff, like.
Speaker 4: It's weird you go through.
Speaker 2: I went through fifteen years of not performing, so I don't know if people are gonna clap, or if they're gonna like it, or if they're gonna want to just have me talk or.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I kind of didn't know what to do. So I would just feel the energy of the crowd, and luckily I have a kick ass band who who would just follow along with all of it. But yeah, I have rehearsals today and tomorrow, and it's just now doing it, like I'm so much more con I don't have anybody to make happy but myself and the crowd and such a different place to.
Speaker 3: Be in that's so special. I love that.
Speaker 1: And your fans are going to feed off that unique energy that you have for the first time ever the Genesee Theater and walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did like a fan request of like songs they wanted to hear, because you know, I had like eight studio albums like in my younger years, and so I never know what songs people are expecting or what their favorites are. So I'm doing a lot of those that were like fan requests and just it's cool to be able to re do them and come at them at the perspective of like after having kids. I mean, my kids have never even seen me on stage, right, And I have a thirteen year old and a twelve year old and a six year old, so they've never known this part of my life because I really just dedicated the last you know, those years to just being a mom. I wanted life to be as normal as it could be for them in their formative years. It was important for me just to be there for everything. But now they're kind of like pushing me out the door because they see how happy it all makes me.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to have them at upcoming shows. But I wanted to get a h under my belt before they actually watched me like, like, you know, they've been to other concerts before, and I always thought I would be their first concert.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: So I love that they're gonna be like our mom is so cool. Oh my goodness, I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like them, you do that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yes, I do that.
Speaker 4: I think I have a tour DVD.
Speaker 3: I can break out what's a dvd? Yeah, I know, I love it.
Speaker 2: And they're on YouTube and they're like, what's this thing called Newly Went?
Speaker 4: And they watch it and they're like, this is so you.
Speaker 2: Mom, Like they laugh at it, like you would do this today.
Speaker 4: You would say that you would burn our food.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so good.
Speaker 2: It's cooking related, they laugh or yeah.
Speaker 1: So the question, it's cute the question that I know a lot of fans are asking, and I kind of am as well as you know, you did this. You have this such a huge epic run as this pop star, like everybody's favorite. Why country? Why go to the country lane? What made you decide to do this?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting to me that people are saying that it's country and I don't like I came out to Nashville with like a rockabilly type of playlist, sure, and it was everybody from like Alabama Shakes to I mean, I had all kinds of people, like from Leon Bridges to like it was a lot of like blues references. Yeah, And I wanted, like the reason why it's called Nashville Canyon. I wanted the influence of the early rock and roll from Nashville, like the Elvis Presley's and just those types like the Everly Brothers, like that type of vibe mixed with the songwriting of Laurel Canyon back in the late sixties early seventies where it was such a collaborative, joint effort where artists support other artists and all were writing together. And I only feel that way when I'm in Nashville, like people are it's so easy to like walk into a room and just bare your soul, open your heart, like it's like a therapy session, and people just really support you emotionally. And I was going through a really hard time and I didn't expect to be like I had moved out to Neisgage, got a place in Nashville, I took a U haul, like, and I was gonna move my kids out here and everything. But then I found out stuff that was going on in the home front.
Speaker 4: And my marriage as I was writing, and.
Speaker 2: It just turned my whole world upside down. Like I'd never expected to come back to music with a broken heart, but I did, and my kids watched me be resilient through it, and I just tried to stay focused on my purpose, whereas in the past, I think my younger self would have let the heartbreak take over and it would have kind of devoured me. I'm so strong. I'm so strong, and I've been through so much in my life. I mean, what's divorce number two? Like will I get married a third time? I don't know, Like if there's a third time, will to be a fourth? Like I can't really forward think too much. But my kids watched me like turn the pain of it into something artistic, and I think that it just really it held me safe and it made me strong and you hear that in the music. And I feel like there's so many different types of songs like that are on the record. It's interesting to me that people call it country, like there is some steel guitar playing, but I also had this amazing still guitar players named Russ Paul who played for Tom Petty. He plays with No Young, So I guess the song writing aspect of it, and being in Nashville, I mean you can hear some of the country influence. I mean I was raised in Texas too, so like my accent no matter what comes out, but it's kind of it's kind of a mishmash of all different styles that it was hard to choose where to even promote it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I listened to it, that's the thing, I was like, this is country, but it's not too country, if that makes any sense at.
Speaker 2: All, right, right, because I've had the last album I made, it was a full country record, and I did write that in Nashville. I had, you know, the producers on it were Nashville based, and all the songs writers were like definitely straight up like hit like top twenty, top forty hit country music for song writers, and that was the focus of that. Like I went out on the Recal Flat tour and I was definitely pushing myself in a country market. But I got like it was my first number one album too, and like week that it was released, I got dropped by my record label.
Speaker 4: I got dropped by.
Speaker 2: Sony and I was so confused like like music ended up breaking my heart, to be honest, because I had worked so hard for so many years since I was seventeen and so to be twenty eight, like and we dropped for having a number one country album. I didn't know where to go next. And I got drops because I wouldn't sign a three sixty deal and they wanted the disca Simpson collection and I had already built out this brand that I I wasn't gonna give over to a record label. Like there was no way, like it was, it didn't make sense. They just said I would never recoup. And you know, it wasn't my fault that the label sent so much money having me follow Brittany and Christina and try to make you know, I just had a job to do, and I I'm a preacher's daughter, so I'm I abide my rules, and you know, I just I was working for a record label and I did everything that I could. But you know, I think that I got when I got dropped, it was just okay, let's switch gears. I need to focus on just being me myself, like and who is that? And then and then I met my now ex husband. I was just I wanted to have kids, to have a normal life, but the music has always been there, and it's been like an ache in my heart and my soul for so long. To not be able to do that was really I just didn't really no my place in the music industry. And once I felt comfortable like mapping that out for myself and having no expectations, once I got to that place in my life, it was so easy to step into. And I feel like with Nashville Canyon, I just created art that I'm really proud of and just something that defines me as an artist for the first time, really like without anybody else's opinion. And so it's Nashville Canyon for me is really excited, exciting, and it's kind of like one of those Right now, I have two EPs out Part one and Part two of Nashville Canyon, and then I'll.
Speaker 4: Put together a deluxe record.
Speaker 2: With even like three four more songs that represent what Nashville Canyon is to me. So to be able to be up on stage now with it is very exciting because it was the first album that I ever recorded with a live band. I'd never done that before. I'd just been pop artists that where's the head where's the microphones, the you know, the headphones, And I already have the track produced. I wasn't. I never knew who played on my records, So now like having all the artists that are musicians be a part of it and we it was a collaborative effort, and the producer Jad move first and just had this idea of discovering it all together in the studio. I'm like, why was I not in a band my whole career? Like I loved it, Like I just love the organic, the organic vibes to it, and being a part of that creatively really just set me apart from even my younger self. But I was, well, now I'm just able to bring that to the older music on stage and the song fits so great my older stuff that's so great with the new sounds that you know, it's just more of a grown up version of me, and I feel my fans have all grown up with me. Yeah, so it just makes for the listener as well. Yeah, but being able to perform it live, like I'm so giddy good. I should really excited, but I should be, And I don't remember the last time I was like so excited.
Speaker 4: To go on stage.
Speaker 2: Normally, I was like so burnt out and I was worried about they were going to write about me. You know, I would make headlines for everything, whether it was mom jeans or being a jinx or whatever it was. It was normally about my personal life. And now for it to be about music and to be on stage and just to be steel free, to like kick my shoes off and like have a conversation with the audience, it's just it's very neat and it's very exciting.
Speaker 1: I love this chapter for you so much. You mentioned like talking about working starting when you're like seventeen years old. If somebody came up to you that was a young pop star maybe there just got discovered on TikTok, and they asked you advice about maybe like doing you know, a reality TV show with them and their significant other. What kind of advice would you give that person?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it as a young person. I mean I feel like I'm very appreciative for newly webs. There's nothing that I regret about it because it was the very beginning of reality TV. I think it was just the Osbourne before Nick and I.
Speaker 4: So ours was very real.
Speaker 2: And nowadays I feel like it's scripted. It's not. It's just not as real. I would convince somebody to do like a doc series about their career if they wanted it to be career focused, right, But I mean, but also like I don't think that it ruined my relationship. I just think I got married way young. I didn't even know who I was, and Newly Webs actually was the vehicles. It really drove me fast to success. And so like I would not I would encourage, definitely, I would encourage people to do it. But I mean, if you're already somebody that has children and stuff, I know that like hard on kids like to be on TV, like that's really intense and have your life produced is a weird thing. Like when I would watch things and how it was edited together for Newly, like I would laugh, like you know, like it was it was like, Okay, now I know what role to play to get these cameras out of my face quicker. So I kind of like play. I would play into it a little bit. By the time we hit season two and three, like season one was just a very shocking real thing, and I just you know, I knew what people were responding to and it kind of took me off of the pedestal that I was on being like a big ballad singer, you know, like the was almost like two sexy or too pretty. Like I feel like people actually were seeing me in my home with no makeup and just very myself, and that's when people were able to feel like they could see themselves in me. And as an artist, you want to be able to relate to others because you're singing about things that they don't know how to express, you know. So as a musician, you're you're actually like an advocate for all the hearts out there who are needing to sing along with certain lyrics of what you know and relating to what they're going through. So I feel like, I mean, I wouldn't discourage somebody from doing reality TV if if that if they trust the team that they have got behind them. You know, you have to really be able to trust who's editing, who are your you know, who's taking care of you and make sure that it helps elevate your career and not just be the focus of your like you know, like I because it was followed like like Newlyweds followed me on stage and followed me through every aspect. I didn't have the Jessica Simson collection yet, but I wouldn't have the Jessicasimson collection if it weren't for NEWLYWBT.
Speaker 4: So I think reality TV.
Speaker 2: Definitely can catapult you into a different stratosphere of of your career. I just for me, it's been hard to even watch Reality TV after doing it because I can just's like psyeah, no, well you know what goes behind it.
Speaker 1: You know what there's, what their motives are. You've been there and you see what goes behind the scenes, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's very intense.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So okay, So we've got the Genesee Theater this Saturday, huge party going down. Jessica Simpson's on stage. Ye Nashville Canyon Part one and Part two. You said that you took request at the last show you did. What was what song do you think was the most overwhelming, biggest requested song.
Speaker 2: I was shocked that Irresistible was one of like a big request of song and a lot of a lot of people wanted to meet to sing my very first single, which was called I Want to Love You Forever, and that song is like a power ballad that I feel like contestants on American Idol don't even sing.
Speaker 4: It's so hard.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you just took me back. You just took me back.
Speaker 2: Yes, vocally, but I did it. I could still do it, and so I'm like, but being on stage last week and doing it, it was such a beautiful feeling. And people wanted to hear, like my cover of Angels, like my covers take My breath Away. They wanted with you I Think I'm in love with you, my country hit which was called come on Over. It was just interesting, like and then there was some album tracks that people were requesting that I'm actually going to be doing it the Genesee Theater that didn't get a chance to be singles because the label didn't choose them, but the fans love them. No, yeah, it's it's cool to read visit all of that as a woman. And like I was singing about loving somebody forever at eighteen years old, which like, isn't possible other than like your parents.
Speaker 3: No, we don't, we don't love it. We don't love it.
Speaker 1: We don't love the same things eighteen as we do when we're forty five. That is healthy, sure, exactly correct, exactly Oh, I'm so excited for you. Congratulations on the project too. I can really hear your storytelling in this music. It's it's a different Jessica Simpson than what we're used to, but.
Speaker 3: It's so great. Yeah, and uh, we're looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. What is left for you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Tennessee Theater is so beautiful, It's legendary, great venue. Oh my gosh, I was just when I was looking at the photos, I was like, there's gonna there's so much magic here. I'm excited to be a part of it, to be honest, What.
Speaker 3: Is left for you?
Speaker 1: Last question for me is, because you've done everything you've literally done, is there something do you do? Just does just have her own like vision board or like to do list? Is there something you haven't accomplishments?
Speaker 4: Of course, what I want.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to shoot a documentary. I don't even know if I'm allowed to say it, Like what who's doing the documentary? But I don't know if he's done a press release yet. But I am in the in the middle of shooting a documentary, which is very exciting on a huge platform and that way people can really see my life and like how things are being done and what I'm actually going through on an emotional level and how it leads into the songwriting. And you know, they'll see my like everyday life, my kids and just how we're all doing it together. But I'm excited about that. I have an episode on a new Ryan Murphy show coming out that I got to shoot with Kim card Action, who's one of my friends. Yeah, I know who's that. We don't know who that is, uh, but like our daughters go to school together, so that it was fun. Like Naomi watches in the show, but it's called All's Fair and I was in eight hours of prosthetics and so the first person that I made out with after going through a split was Rick Springfield.
Speaker 1: Okay that that that needs to go on your tombstone when it's all said and made out with Rick Springfield?
Speaker 3: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm like, wow, I haven't even got to make out with anybody, and now to do it on TV with Rick Springfield?
Speaker 4: How is this gonna go?
Speaker 2: But yeah, like it was so fun to be able to shoot that show and I think they're in the in the Uh. There was a promo for it because my mom called me like, oh, my gosh, they used your scene on the promo Like I'm like me, they used my scene like out of all episodes, like, so I'm excited for people to see me act again as well. Yeah, that it's gonna be something that I'm wanting. That's something that I definitely want to do more of. So I think just anything entertainment I just have done and the team yeers so to be able to do this all over again and do it, you know, I get to pick and choose what I want to do and it's not for the press of it, it's just for the love of it. I think people are going to respond to that and really understand it when they see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. You're keeping it real and we love you for that.
Speaker 1: And I can I can already tell your energy and your vibe is right where you should be. So congrats on everything and can't wait for Saturday night. Yeah, I have an awesome shows.
Speaker 2: My first radio interview, you.
Speaker 3: Chose a perfect person in stations.
Speaker 2: Never so excited radio and.
Speaker 3: I take that as a couple.
Speaker 1: All right, Jess, thank you so much for the time and a great tour and continued success.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bye bye guys.
Speaker 4: By