Speaker 1: Why get all your holiday decorations delivered through instacart Because maybe you only bought two wreaths but you have twelve windows, Or maybe your toddler got very eager with the advent calendar, or maybe the inflatable snowman didn't make it through the snowstorm, or maybe the twinkle lights aren't twinkling. Whatever the reason, this season, Instacart's here for hosts and their whole holiday haul. Get decorations from the home depots, cvs and more through instacart and enjoy free delivery on your first three orders service fees in terms supply.
Speaker 2: The holidays are all about sharing with family, meals, couches, stories, Gramma secret pecan pie recipe, and now you can also share a cart with Instacart's family carts. Everyone can add what they want to one group cart from wherever they are, so you don't have to go from room to room to find out who wants cranberry sauce, or who should get many marshmallows for the ams, or collecting votes for sugar cookies versus shortbread. Just share a cart and then share the meals and the moments. Download the instacart app and get delivery in as fast as thirty minutes plus. Enjoy free delivery on your first three orders. Service fees and terms apply.
Speaker 3: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, Trump dropped the bomb that is nominating Matt Gates for US Attorney General yesterday. People continue to run around with their heads on fire about this pick. Today, Kevin McCarthy saying, there's no way this is going to pass.
Speaker 4: Muster in the Senate.
Speaker 5: That's where we start swamp watching. The swamp is horrible.
Speaker 4: The government doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Man, Make this like a reality TV show.
Speaker 6: Bad Noos.
Speaker 5: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 6: Hey, Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp in so many ways, still a swamp.
Speaker 5: I have a batch of malarkey.
Speaker 4: Boy said drain the swamp.
Speaker 5: I said, Oh that's so.
Speaker 6: You know the thing.
Speaker 7: Well, in all of the preview articles about potential attorneys general, Matt Gates's name appeared zero times checked joining us to talk more about this. The shock and awful that was described earlier in Washington, d C. Joe Khalil from News Nation and Joe this name, this Matt Gates as Attorney General. It seems like the farther away we get from the announcement, the less likely it is that he would ever be confirmed to head up the Department of Justice.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And I think the reason that there was such shock because there was genuine surprise in this thought that Donald Trump would never name somebody that would have such an uphill climb to get approved. And that seems to be the case. I've been walking around today talking to mostly Republican senators. Some have said, look, Trump is entitled to nominate whoever he wants, and you know, Matt Gates would be someone who they say might drastically change the DOJ in a way they'd like to see it changed. But the majority of Senators who have spoken to privately and some publicly in front of our cameras, even Republicans, have said they do have serious concerns. If you're not familiar with Matt Gates, he has made quite a lot of enemies, not just Democrats, but Republican enemies. He was crucial in removing former Speaker Kevin McCarthy. But the bigger thing that's hanging over his head are these very serious allegations that he may have had sex with a minor. These are just allegations. He hasn't been charged with this, and that he may have paid for the sex and also paid to move for across state lines, which adds a human trafficking element criminally to those allegations. The House Ethics Committee has been looking into this for about two years and they were set to release a report on it Friday, but Matt Gates resigned yesterday after he got nominated. So it's on clear whether that report is going to come down or not. All of that's hanging over it and sort of driving all this.
Speaker 3: What are the chances that they knew something was going to be huge in that report, something in that report was going to be scathing, and to avoid that report nominating him.
Speaker 6: Well, that is sort of the speculation actually here. And you know the reason we got for Mattate's resignation was Speaker Mike Johnson said, if he resigns now, I can replace him more quickly because the House Republican majority that they just won is very small. Losing three Republicans to Trump's cabinet is going to matter so Speaker Johnson said, no, he resigned so that I can replace him quickly. But there's a lot of speculation that they just didn't want that report to get out. Now, I'm not sure that it implicates anyone other than Matt Gates, you know, in whatever alleged criminality is going on, but you know that there is some speculation there. So and then what.
Speaker 3: Where does that report go? What happens to it? And he is resigned, but that doesn't that doesn't follow him, So what happens to that?
Speaker 4: And is there any chance that that leaks out?
Speaker 6: So there is a I think strong chance that it leaks out. By the by the rules of the House Ethics Committee, by the letter of the law, the minute he resigned yesterday, they no longer have any jurisdiction over him because he's not a member of the House. So by the rules, that report should just remain dormant and not released in private. However, what I've heard is if Matt Gates is actually the nominee and the Senate has to review him and vote on him, they often for every nominee will get classified background checks, They'll get classified briefings on the person they're going to vote for. I imagine that report would make its way over to the Senate if senators demand in a classified setting to see it, because they've got to vote on this person, and you know, whether he's going to be the top attorney in the United States. Certainly alleged criminality matters in that sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm do we know.
Speaker 7: Have there been vocal senators in Republican senators who have said there is no chance Matt Gates gets in.
Speaker 5: Has anybody attached their name to that sentiment.
Speaker 6: No one has said it that explicitly. But I talked to Lisa Rakowski this morning on camera. She told me when she heard the news, she was not sure whether it was serious or whether it was a joke. You know, we've heard others like Susan Collins stay on the record, you know, what do you think about maggot says you have a chance to get through. She said something to the effect of every nominee is going to get a very strong vetting and of their character and their person and all their history, so you have to sort of read between the lines. No one has flat out said I'm not voting for the guy, even know, but there had been others who who said things like, are you serious. You know, I'm background who've told us not attaching their names to it, there's virtually no chance that he gets through. I haven't seen anyone on the record put their name on that, but that that is the sentiment that I'm hearing from many privately.
Speaker 3: Joe Khalil News Nation, excellent reporting, per usual, appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys, happy to do it.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: The more I think about that, the more I think that's exactly what it was, that.
Speaker 5: Trump protect him from the protect.
Speaker 4: Him from the report as a thank you for the loyalty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I don't know what the policy is if he resigns before I mean the report, does it just die?
Speaker 5: Die?
Speaker 4: Tech guys, And he brought up Joe brought up a good point.
Speaker 5: What else is in that report?
Speaker 3: Who else is Trump protecting, even if they're just tangentially connected to Matt Gates.
Speaker 7: So when the name was announced yesterday, when Matt Gates's name was announced as an attorney general a nominee, Max Miller, a Republican out of Ohio, said most people in there in the House are giddy about it.
Speaker 5: Get him out of here.
Speaker 7: He said, Trump had plenty of other good options for nominees, but went with Gates to a reward his loyalty, and before the resignation was announced, this Congressman, Max Miller, suggested that if the Senate hearings on Earth knew and convincing evidence that the misconduct allegations against Gates were true, that everybody in the House would vote to expel him, much like they did with George Santos earlier this year.
Speaker 5: Or late last year. Sorry, I mean, there's no love lost this.
Speaker 3: It may just be a way of getting rid of him and he gets to keep his clean slate.
Speaker 7: A lot of people believe that this guy's a clown. Oh yeah, even members of the House who have been working with him. So I wanted to I read to you this piece during the commercial break, but I want to share with everybody. I was reading from the New York Times about Max Miller, this congressman out of Ohio, who said that they were giddy at the thought of getting Matt Gates out of the House of Representatives, that he doesn't have a whole lot of fans there. He said that he was surprised that Matt Gates would even agree to this Attorney general nomination. Because of the scrutiny that comes with that, the investigation, the confirmation hearings, the rigorous and invasive background checks. And his quote was, I'm surprised that Matt would do this to himself. I want to go get a big bag of popcorn and pull up a front row seat to that show.
Speaker 3: Is there a world in which he was named as the nominee for AG so that this ethics report, which was in its final stages, does not come out, never sees the light of day, and that he removes himself as the nominee before they can dig into his background check. And then he lands a lucrative job somewhere where he takes all the names connected with him and hides them forever.
Speaker 7: He does have a law degree, he becomes a lawyer for the Trump organization or the Trump founda.
Speaker 5: I think Trump Foundation is now defunct.
Speaker 7: But but yes, I mean there is that possible world where this is a ploy to protect him from whatever is in that ethics report.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds like it is the most likely scenario.
Speaker 7: But as Joe Khalil pointed out, this doesn't necessarily mean that it's it's it disappears.
Speaker 3: No, But I do think it is predicated on what other names are in that report, even if, like I said, even they're just in Gates's orbit. Yeah, I mean, how many people are they protecting with sand bag in this thing?
Speaker 7: From the Kamala Harris file. One of the stories that came out in the last couple of weeks was how much money that Harris campaign was able to bring in. That in a matter of months it cossed a billion dollars in fundraising and.
Speaker 4: They blew through it to the point of being in debt.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now a week since she conceded the contest, not only has they run out of that billion, they're still asking for more. And in fact, a text message that went out just two days ago, a week after the election, rights or says high team, it's Kamala. The election isn't what we wanted, but I will never give give up the fight. And right now there are still a number of critical races across the country that are either too close to call or within the margin of recounts or certain legal challenges. So they said that the money would eventually flow to the DNC to help with those efforts like state recounts or curing the ballots, etc. But one of the officials acknowledged that there is some debt, but didn't really downplay I'm sorry, but did downplay the significance of it, saying it's not going to be difficult to pay off by the year's end, and also said that given the results of the election, it would have been worse to have lost while sitting on a pile of unspent cash.
Speaker 5: What a weird spin.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, we lost just the right way so that we could, We could lose with a certain amount of debt.
Speaker 4: We wasted enough money to care.
Speaker 7: One of the great wins from not great win, but one of the great digs from former President Trump at the Harris campaign is Hey, do you guys need a loan? Like, We'll help you cover the costs of whatever it is that you need.
Speaker 5: We wouldn't want them to go into any more debt.
Speaker 3: Than I've already listen to this one. Elon Musk's new Department of Government Efficiency is calling for volunteers. They want people to send in their resumes via x direct message. Doze wants to recruit quoting here super high IQ small government revolutionaries willing to work eighty plus hours per week on unglamorous cost cutting, then added with a post from his personal X account that this work would be unpaid. He wrote, Indeed, this will be tedious work with lots of enemies, and compensation is zero.
Speaker 4: What a great deal, laughing emoji.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the same pitch, similar to the same pitch that he told employees of X. Soon after he bought the company Twitter, he sent an email to staff asking them to commit to being hardcore and work long hours at high intensity, or leave the company with severage severance package. He estimated that about eighty percent of Twitter left the company shortly after.
Speaker 7: Wow, I've been seeing a lot more about that Blue Sky. Also more and more people jumping from Twitter to go to Blue Sky?
Speaker 4: Are you is trying?
Speaker 3: Is that like a playoff of old Twitter with the blue sky the clouds?
Speaker 4: Remember that wasn't that their thing?
Speaker 5: I mean they had a bird?
Speaker 3: Am I No, I don't need anything else, okay. Advance Auto Parts closing more than seven hundred locations nationwide. Closure's part of a restructuring plan. Roughly five hundred corporate stores two hundred independently owned stores will close by mid twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Called out here for a second, I went get this right, what'd you do?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: Somebody misheard me?
Speaker 4: And is this about the Macax?
Speaker 5: No, not that one.
Speaker 7: Not about the Bronies either, But it was about I made a comment that Matt Gates might become a lawyer for the Trump Organization, and then I said, or the Trump Foundation.
Speaker 5: But I think the Trump Foundation doesn't exist any.
Speaker 6: Gary just threw out a statement kind of like as a Oh, by the way, besides, the Trump Organization is now defunct.
Speaker 5: Why is that, Gary?
Speaker 6: Why did they get forced to close down when Donald Trump won? What did they do that the Department of Justice made them close? Can you let us know please?
Speaker 5: Idiot?
Speaker 7: Okay, wow, it was the Trump Foundation, and yes, it was dissolved by court order in twenty eighteen after various legal violations came to light.
Speaker 4: Idiot, idiot, that's fun.
Speaker 5: It's not like I said it. Did I say it incorrectly?
Speaker 4: I said, think you were.
Speaker 3: Making a major point. It was kind of a throwaway aside.
Speaker 5: You're an idiot.
Speaker 3: See how it feels you've actually kind of really took ownership of that one.
Speaker 4: Did that feel good for you?
Speaker 5: I mean I didn't, well that I'm an idiot? Oh that part?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it felt funny on my tongue.
Speaker 3: When location sharing is making us miserable. Story in the Washington Post today about how it is time to say I know that this twenty four to seven location sharing has invaded our friendships, our romances.
Speaker 4: Is it too late to go back?
Speaker 5: Where is he going? I'm sorry, I'm just how are you tracked checking my son?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: He is that? Oh? Okay, yes, I know where he's going.
Speaker 4: Stargarden munch.
Speaker 3: Ashley Reggie is twenty six, lives in Washington State, had a friendship go bad after location sharing spiraled out of control, with both parties checking the other's location dozens of times a day. I had to tell her, Ashley says, No, I actually don't want to know where you are, and I don't want you to know where I am. I want to go up back to how we were before. Or if you wanted to know where someone was, you would have to actually ask them.
Speaker 5: It's a weird.
Speaker 7: It's a weird thing, and we've talked about it many times before. If you have kids and you kind of want to keep an eye on where they are, or just double check and see if they're sneaky enough to leave their phone somewhere where they're not supposed to be kind of thing. You have to get into the habit or you have to get out of the habit of constantly checking location because it breeds distrust.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I for me, it's just a hard no for anyone to know where I am.
Speaker 4: It creeps me out.
Speaker 3: Not that anyone cares where I am or would check or whatever.
Speaker 5: Your husband cares where you are.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't think you would check.
Speaker 5: Here's where you are. That's different, but again it's different.
Speaker 3: But again problem saying no. I just don't like the idea of anybody. I like my freedom, my autonomy. I like to go where I want to go and nobody know about it, right, Like, that's one of the beauties of when you get an adult, being an adult, or even when you get your first driver's license at sixteen and getting in a car and my parents don't know where I'm going. They don't know if I'm gonna get a left at the stop later, if I'm gonna take a right, And it's just like, I love that feeling of freedom, and if somebody constantly knows where I am, I feel like I'm in communist China.
Speaker 7: But you also you just opened your phone and didn't know if anybody was checking your location or had access.
Speaker 5: To your location.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, ignorance is bliss in that regard. I had no idea. It turns out one of my friends was tracking me.
Speaker 7: Well, and I'm not sure if it meant that she was tracking you or you were tracking her, although I think it does have to work both ways.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a thing where it said turn off my location sharing, and I turned that off, yeah, promptly.
Speaker 4: Not that I care if she tracks.
Speaker 7: Me, but there this has come up and I think that, I mean you would probably know as well as I do that the younger people in their relationships, this is a thing like this is it's a moment in a relationship where you shared the polibry.
Speaker 4: The password.
Speaker 3: Remember we know if Yeah, we first all started getting cell phones and that was the conversation of do you share your password with your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife or whatever?
Speaker 4: And now it's location interesting.
Speaker 7: And it came up when I have a a I know someone I created her and she had the issue of when you break up with somebody or when you start the relationship, at what point do you share location? Oh man, I was kind of see to me that it's neutral on the whole thing.
Speaker 4: That's almost like controlling behavior.
Speaker 7: I hate that, right, Well, it can definitely be used for that, and that was the concern.
Speaker 5: As I was, I think you don't share that. Guy.
Speaker 7: I was generally neutral about it, but said, you can never be forced into sharing your local do not do not fall for that. But if you're trusting enough and you feel comfortable enough doing that, then I mean, you, why can't.
Speaker 4: You just shoot a text? Where are you at?
Speaker 5: I'm at the home depot? Hard If you're not at the home depot, you big liar pants.
Speaker 3: Well then if you're trying to catch someone in something, then you've got a whole other.
Speaker 7: Hostage, right, which which became the discussion like, if there's ever any point where you have to lie about your location, you should not be.
Speaker 5: You should not be sharing your location with that person, whoever it is.
Speaker 4: You should not be in a relationship with that person.
Speaker 5: But it's I mean, this is a weird thing.
Speaker 7: I have this because I've got you know, it's my wife, my son, and my daughter, and the four of us share each other's location.
Speaker 5: Both my son and my daughter have all kinds.
Speaker 7: Of people that they know the locations of of close friends of theirs that they have in their list of people.
Speaker 5: But I don't have anybody outside of those three.
Speaker 3: And then like, at what point in your day do you like go to the location place on your phone or whatever it is and look at where people are.
Speaker 5: That's kind of weird, like all the.
Speaker 3: People you you share with on one like in one matter, I mean, if if you can, if I can see my daughter in Texas, my son on the freeway, and my wife at home right now, But that's I mean, I don't know where.
Speaker 7: I don't know where he's I kind of have an idea of where he's going, but I don't know specifically Star Garten.
Speaker 3: Star Garden's got a nice Thursday lunch special, which exit he just passed, But I mean it's left.
Speaker 4: In the right. Stages are closed down until two, but.
Speaker 5: Well they have to clean them, right, Oh I did?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 7: I didn't play this for you yet? Mark Zuckerberg is a musician.
Speaker 5: Did you know that? No? Yeah, Mark Zuckerberg apparently picks up the acoustic guitar every once in a while.
Speaker 4: Is this about booty shaking that booty?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: What was that line from the song yesterday.
Speaker 3: I don't know bouncing booty, bouncing off my bouncing off my booty, You bouncing on my booty, somebody's booty bouncing something somewhere.
Speaker 5: Find it.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you don't have it at the ready. It's one of our new favorite things.
Speaker 5: I don't have that at the ready. It's one of our new favorite things.
Speaker 4: I thought you put it on the special aboard.
Speaker 5: I did not put it on.
Speaker 4: Wow, Well it's hateful.
Speaker 5: It's not hateful, it's just.
Speaker 4: Didn't know you were such a homophobe.
Speaker 5: I don't know where it was.
Speaker 4: You don't know where it went. You lost it forever.
Speaker 5: I don't think I lost it forever. You don't have to be so angry.
Speaker 4: Okay, anyway, sorry, Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 5: Mark Zuckerberg did a cover of te Pain.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's a tea pain.
Speaker 8: I think it's.
Speaker 4: Damn your This is Mark Zuckerberg hoping you can suck it to me.
Speaker 8: Baby.
Speaker 4: One more ruining this song.
Speaker 9: No no no, no, no no no, does he say it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Well, anyway, that's awful.
Speaker 3: That's the worst thing I've heard this week that makes the Matt Gates nomination sparkle Social Studies is a five part series fa premiering Friday at the Telluride Film Festival in Colorado.
Speaker 4: It will be arriving on FX.
Speaker 3: It is this documentary filmmaker's latest foray into documenting teen life in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: She has done really well in this genre.
Speaker 3: She was the one behind The Queen of Versailles, the King Maker, the long chronicled Beauty, wealth and Power, and the damaging toll of excess.
Speaker 7: Lauren Greenfield is now She's got two kids, two boys actually, about fourteen and twenty, and has had to ask some very awkward questions of her boys about what life is like as a teenager now because it is so completely a turbocharged, steroid riddled And I don't mean that, I mean that as sort of a euphemism, but it's so much more than it was when we were kids.
Speaker 3: I feel like kids are isolating themselves more and maybe that's because maybe that's why they're isolating.
Speaker 4: This question, just to turn it all off.
Speaker 5: Probably.
Speaker 3: The series was largely filmed in Los Angeles, features teens from ten schools, including Pacific Palisades, LA and Hamilton High Schools. She shot roughly twelve hundred hours of footage over one hundred and fifty days, covering the twenty twenty one to twenty two school year and some subsequent months. She also recorded the teen's phone and so social media use, so.
Speaker 5: That I think is an interesting aspect.
Speaker 7: But when asked about what goes on, I mean, it's it's it's a reality. It's a documentary. So you get to see them, she says, in three different elements. Number one, the verite, you just get to see them sort of in their lives. Sometimes they're you know, they're posturing, or they're presenting. There's sometimes they're with friends, sometimes they're lying. The interviews where it's just one on one, they break the fourth wall and said that they're very honest.
Speaker 5: And then the third perspective.
Speaker 7: Is a group situation where it's just her recording their conversations between each other and said it's kind of almost like a therapy session for the most part. But think about that, think about the idea that she was also able to record them using their phones.
Speaker 3: She said that with fictional depictions of teen life, you know Euphoria thirteen, Beverly Hills nine O two one zero, you know that that's the extreme.
Speaker 4: It's not really like that for teens.
Speaker 3: But when she says she was doing feedback screening, she showed a filmmaker, Nicole Holofencer, the first episode and after Cole the filmmaker saw the first episode, she said, this is a horror movie.
Speaker 7: It's not a horror movie for kids, but it would be a horror movie for parents. There's one part where one of the kid's mom says, I don't want to go in my kids TikTok?
Speaker 5: What that you?
Speaker 7: That should be a sign you don't want to because you're afraid what you're going to see. That's exactly why you should be all up in that business.
Speaker 4: That's right. You have to pay attention. And then you've put your head in the sand.
Speaker 7: You've got the parents also dealing with their own social media use and exposure and what they're modeling for their kids in terms of how they react to it. What can it does? A social media post then ruin the rest of your day, and you're modeling that behavior for your own kid to allow them to, you know, be held hostage by their social media accounts oh Beaver.
Speaker 5: Moons gott be.
Speaker 3: I mean, what makes the twelve o'clock hour bigger than a beaver Moon.
Speaker 7: How about to pay a tickets to the Chargers game coming up? We can give those away too.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna work in some rare sea serpents as well.
Speaker 7: That's why we call it the Big twelve o'clock hours. You're damn right coming up next on Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: The holidays are all about sharing with family, meals, couches, stories, Gramma secret pecan pie recipe, and now you can also share a cart with insta Carts family carts. Everyone can add what they want to one group cart from wherever they are, so you don't have to go from room to room to find out who ons cranberry sauce, or who should get many marshmallows for the ams, or collecting votes for sugar cookies versus shortbread. Just share a cart and then share the meals and the moments. Download the instacart app and get delivery in as fast as thirty minutes. Plus enjoy free delivery on your first three orders, Service fees and terms apply.
Speaker 1: Why get all your holiday decorations delivered through instacart Because maybe you only bought two wreaths but you have twelve windows, Or maybe your toddler got very eager with the advent calendar, or maybe the inflatable snowman didn't make it through the snowstorm, or maybe the twinkle lights aren't twinkling. Whatever the reason, this season, Instacart's here for hosts and their whole holiday haul. Get decorations from the home depots, cvs and more through instacart and enjoy free delivery on your.
Speaker 4: First three orders.
Speaker 1: Service fees and terms apply.