Speaker 1: Ever wonder what it really takes to make it as a stand up comedian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know those late night shows.
Speaker 1: Like Beyond the Laughs, the Spotlight. What's really going on? We're gonna find out today talking with Big Shane. Big Shane, and he's a comedian who is not afraid to get real about the comedy world, all the highs, all the lows. So we're diving deep into a conversation he had with podcast host Joe Day from Comedy Lab, and Big Shane's story is really interesting because it gives us this kind of raw, unfiltered look at what it takes, you know, the dedication, the struggles, even the mental toughness to pursue a career making people laugh, because I mean, we're not just talking about telling jokes on the stage. This is like the whole journey, the person behind the mic exactly. And Big Shane he doesn't shy away from from any of it, you know, the nitty gritty. He dives right in talking about Atlanta and he calls it considers it a comedy powerhouse, really a top five comedy city in the world. That's a bold stage five in the world and of everywhere. Yeah, so what makes it. What is it about Atlanta that makes it such a hub for comedy? Calls it a proving ground, especially for urban comedy.
Speaker 2: Interesting okay, So, and.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting point. He makes this point that you know, it takes more than just talented comedians to have a thriving.
Speaker 2: Scene, that audience, the.
Speaker 1: Right audience venues that will nurture the talent, right, they can grow. And there's certain you know, cultural energy that influences those comedic styles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a breeding ground in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean think about it. Have you ever noticed how certain cities attract certain types of art all the time, or musicians, like comedy's no different.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So he's found his place, it seems like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we've got big Shane coning his craft in Atlanta. But he wasn't just any comedian.
Speaker 2: In Atlanta, Okay, so what was he doing?
Speaker 1: So back in twenty fourteen, he was voted one of the top raunchy comedians in the city.
Speaker 2: Raunchy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for those of us who who don't know.
Speaker 2: Don't frequent the comedy clubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Right? What is raunchy? Look?
Speaker 1: Break it down.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's more than just being like dirty or using curse words like raunchy. Comedy pushes boundaries, often using those taboo subjects you know, like sex, religion, bodily functions to challenge those norms get a reaction out of people.
Speaker 1: So it's edgy. It's edgy, but it's like walking this fine line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can go too far with it.
Speaker 1: Between edgy and offensive.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And it sounds like.
Speaker 1: That style, while popular with some, definitely ruffled some feathers in Big Shang's personal life. Really Yeah. He had a bit of a clash with his ex wife's family, who were devout Christians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can imagine how that would not go over well.
Speaker 1: It's a classic example of you know, humor so subjective. What one person finds hilarious, another person's like deeply offended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And it really highlights that intersection where do personal beliefs and comedic expression like collide and where do you draw the line can you separate the art from the artist. And for Big Shane it got really real. He got banned from their church.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he got banned from the church and wow, yeah, so he's living it, you know, Yeah, imagine that just talking about it.
Speaker 1: Having to navigate family dynamics, your in laws deeply held beliefs because of.
Speaker 2: Your art, because of your comedy.
Speaker 1: Wow, it makes you wonder how many other creative voices there I know.
Speaker 2: Are silenced because they're trying to please people.
Speaker 1: Because they're afraid to cause a stir exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's a shame. It is it is. And speaking of struggles, Big Shane's been very open about battling depression.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, he.
Speaker 2: Even shares a pretty harrowing story really about contemplating suicide. Oh wow, it's heavy. Yeah, but it's a reminder it's real that behind those lasts, comedians are dealing with real life demons.
Speaker 1: Of course, I mean, everyone's got their own struggles. And to think that you have to be on all the time and making other people laugh when you're struggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like they say, sometimes the funniest people are fighting the toughest battles, battling things we don't know about, that we don't see.
Speaker 1: And thankfully Big Shane was able to find some solace and a path forward through therapy.
Speaker 2: Good. I'm glad to hear that he.
Speaker 1: Really credits therapy with helping him to see things more clearly. And now he's a big advocate for destigmatizing mental health. Yes, love to hear that, especially in fields like comedy, where vulnerability is often masked by humor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough to be vulnerable.
Speaker 1: He has this really great analogy. He compares seeking help for your mental health to fixing a broken arm. Ooh, I like that, Like, if something's wrong, you go get it fixed. And it is that simple. And it seems like he needed that that clarity and strength as he embarked on this new chapter in his comedic journey, hitting the road with a comedian friend named Candy.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds fun.
Speaker 1: And get this. They're driving around in a van covered in pot leaves, affectionately dubbed the herb Mobile.
Speaker 2: You're kidding, the herb Mobile, their herb mobile. All right, we got to hear about this.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a story and a half.
Speaker 2: This is great, all right. This is classic classic.
Speaker 1: Comedian median on the road materials on the road, all right, and it speaks to the unpredictable anything goes nature. Yeah, of trying to make a living as a comedian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not all glamour and sold out shows.
Speaker 1: There's more too.
Speaker 2: All right, So what's going on in the yourmobile.
Speaker 1: We're talking smoking weed with cops on a bridge and Pensacola. Well, he's kidding.
Speaker 2: And living next door to well, let's just say very active neighbors.
Speaker 1: Active neighbors. Okay, we need details.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we're talking antics so wild that they traumatize the cleaning staff.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, traumatize the cleaning staff.
Speaker 2: He tells a story about hearing the maid run out of the room, gasping for air, only to find the rest of the staff having this very intense round table discussion. Oh about what they had just witnessed. Much only in Florida, am I right?
Speaker 1: Oh? My gosh, only in Florida.
Speaker 2: But as crazy as these stories sound, they highlight these unpredictable situations that comedians find themselves in all.
Speaker 1: The time, all.
Speaker 2: They're on the road. It takes a certain kind of person to thrive in that environment. Yeah, definitely, someone who's adaptable, resilient. Yeah, and let's be honest, can't find the humor, sense of humor in the most absurd situations.
Speaker 1: That's what it's all about, finding the humor and everything. All right, I'm liking Big Shane so far.
Speaker 2: It's like they say, you can't make this stuff up.
Speaker 1: You can't make it up.
Speaker 2: But before we get two sidetracked by tales of the herbmobile, Okay, let's rewind a bit.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We talked about Big Shane's struggles with depression, but he's also experienced the other side of the coin. Okay, those exhilarating highs of.
Speaker 1: Success, right, which can be just as dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as he's learned, success can be a double edged sword.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, He's been very.
Speaker 2: Open about falling into that trap, no of letting success go to his head. Yeah, and he warns others.
Speaker 1: About buying into your own hype because that ego trap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a real thing, can be very slippery, slippery slope.
Speaker 1: Especially he says, in comedy. Okay, maybe in any creative field, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it can apply to a lot of things.
Speaker 1: He talks about, how you know you're grinding it out for years, you're finally getting some recognition, praise. It can be intoxicating, oh yeah, and it's easy to get swept up in it. But he warns that the fall from grace.
Speaker 2: Can be brutal, It can be hard.
Speaker 1: And it happens all the time, happens all the time, classic tale of Hubris. Exactly, someone's on top of the world one.
Speaker 2: Minute and then and then they're gone.
Speaker 1: It all comes crashing down. So what's the key, according to Big Shane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Stay humble?
Speaker 2: Okay, do your job, which is make him laugh. Okay, keep it simple, simple, is that right.
Speaker 1: Focus on the craft, the connection with the audience and the joy of making people laugh, not the validation of the fame.
Speaker 2: It's not about that the recognition.
Speaker 1: It's about the work.
Speaker 2: It's about the craft.
Speaker 1: It's good advice for all of us.
Speaker 2: Really it is, it really is.
Speaker 1: But speaking of staying grounded, Big Shane's personal life offers an interesting perspective on how he kind of navigates the chaos of the comedy world because he's dating another comedian, and he talks about how refreshing it is to be with someone who understands the industry, shares his passion for making people laugh the right reasons, Like he jokes about, how you know, she's probably at home laughing at some ridiculous YouTube video while he's having this deep conversation about the meaning of life in comedy.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: But you can tell he adores her and he really appreciates having that balance his life.
Speaker 2: Gotta have that balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But speaking of balance, let's get back to Big Shane's career. I'm dying to hear about this trip to the Comedy Shrine.
Speaker 2: He mentions the Comedy Shrine.
Speaker 1: The Comedy Shrine. Okay, Now, for those of you who might not know, this is a legendary comedy club in Aurora, Illinois.
Speaker 2: All right, I've heard of it.
Speaker 1: You know, same town where Wayne's World was filmed.
Speaker 2: Oh no way, that's awesome, part of time.
Speaker 1: Excellent, I'm picturing it now.
Speaker 2: Ah man, I can only imagine.
Speaker 1: But I'm guessing this trip wasn't all funning games.
Speaker 2: So what happened?
Speaker 1: So Big Shane jokes about being relegated to the late night slots at these open mics.
Speaker 2: Oh no, the dreaded late night slot.
Speaker 1: Which, let's be honest, can be a tough crowd.
Speaker 2: Brutal, especially when you're up against oh yeah, a bunch of other comics.
Speaker 1: All vying for that same stage time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough gig.
Speaker 1: But that's all part of the process, right.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Gotta pay you dues, paying your dues, honing your craft and learning how to win over even the toughest crowds.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but we'll.
Speaker 1: Dive into those adventures in just a moment. Sure, first, a quick break sounds good. So we left off with Big Shane heading to the Comedy Shrine ready to take the stage at an open mic night.
Speaker 2: But remember he wasn't exactly thrilled about those late night slots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he even joked about his ego being too big for those late slots, right.
Speaker 2: Right, like he'd much rather be in the top ten naturally, But then he catches himself like realizing how that sounds right. You know, it's like he's battling that ego, reminding himself to stay humble, stay grounded, focus on the work, yet not the order of the lineup.
Speaker 1: Which is a good sign.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: It shows that he's really learn internalizing these lessons about staying grounded.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know, it's easy to get caught up, yeah, for sure, in the in the who's who of the comedy scene.
Speaker 2: It's the whole thing. But ultimately it's.
Speaker 1: About the material connecting with that audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about the work, dedication and speaking of dedication, Okay, Big Shane talks about this practice he follows to stay true to his own voice. Okay, what's he doing?
Speaker 1: He limits how much comedy he consumed.
Speaker 2: Really, he limits it, lims it, so he's not like watching stand up all the time.
Speaker 1: He's very intentional about it. Interesting because he doesn't want to accidentally, you know, mimic someone's material. Oh that's interesting there, cadence their energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to be a copycat.
Speaker 1: He wants to be big shame, not a copycat.
Speaker 2: Right, got to be original. Okay, So what's his process then, If he's not consuming a ton of comedy, where's he getting his material?
Speaker 1: Well, he talks about how true originality comes from, you know, tapping into your own experience, as your own unique perspective. Ye, not from recycling what's already out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's got to be authentically him.
Speaker 1: And that leads to a bigger point he makes about his motivation for doing comic.
Speaker 2: All right, what's he's saying.
Speaker 1: It's about more than just getting laughs, Okay, it's about it's about making a connection with the audience, offering them a release from their worries, even if it's just for a little bit while they're they're watching him, listening to him.
Speaker 2: So it's almost like a like a service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, laughter as therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that.
Speaker 1: He wants to create that feeling of joy, that.
Speaker 2: Release, shared experience.
Speaker 1: Shared experience of laughing so hard it hurts, and just reminding people of the lighter side of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We all need that even when things are tough, especially when things are tough.
Speaker 1: Especially when things are tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if that's his goal, if he's so focused on spreading joy, Yeah, what does he do like when people come up to him after a show?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so funny you mentioned that, because he talks about this, okay, and how he feels a little uncomfortable with excessive praise.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He even calls himself a green room comedian.
Speaker 2: What's a green room comedian?
Speaker 1: Meaning he prefers to hang out backstage with the other comics, okay, rather than you know, mingle with the audience afterwards.
Speaker 2: Interesting. So it's almost like a stage fright, but in reverse maybe like he's got to get out of there.
Speaker 1: He says he's perfectly comfortable on stage performing in front of thousands of people, but those smaller intimate settings make him uneasy.
Speaker 2: I get that it's different.
Speaker 1: He also talks about how, you know, earlier in his career he would use alcohol as a way to cope with those feelings of discomfort.
Speaker 2: Okay, so to kind of take.
Speaker 1: The edge off, take the edge off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard of other people doing that, a.
Speaker 1: Few drinks before going on stage. Never to the point.
Speaker 2: Of, you know, being obliterated.
Speaker 1: Obliterated, but just enough to loosen up, just to take the edge off. But you know, as he realized, being a comedian, it takes a certain amount of control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, especially with the timing, the timing, the delivery, if you're all over the place.
Speaker 1: He even compares it to you know, being in a one person play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to be on top of your game.
Speaker 1: Where you are responsible for every aspect of the performance.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Wow, And alcohol can really throw off that delicate balance totally. He tells the story about another comedian who used to get so drunk during his set.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's not good.
Speaker 1: That became it was more about the spectacle than the comedy.
Speaker 2: You become a spectacle, not a comedian.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And eventually not what you want, Yeah, I know what you want. No, So talk about a cautionary tale, right. Yeah, it's a reminder that while humor is a powerful tool, it's important to approach it with respect. Be respectful for yourself and for the audience.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Speaking of challenges, Big Shane also talks about those terrifying moments here we go when your mind goes blank on stage.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: No, that's like the worst nightmare.
Speaker 1: All those eyes on you.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to be funny.
Speaker 1: Expecting you to make them laugh.
Speaker 2: The pressure, and your mind is just blank blank. Oh that's rough.
Speaker 1: Every comedian's nightmar y, oh for sure. So how does Big Shane deal with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How do you get past that?
Speaker 1: Well? He actually gives some really good advice to aspiring comedians.
Speaker 2: Okay hear.
Speaker 1: He says, the first time you go on stage, do it clean and sober. Okay, no drinking, no smoking. You you want to establish a clean slate like that, like a baseline for your performance. Yeah, so you know what you're capable of, right, Because if you're relying on substances to get you through those initial experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might start to believe you need it.
Speaker 1: You might start to believe you need it, right, And he would know, and it's not true because he says, you know, he used to rely on getting high before going on stage, but eventually realized it wasn't a sustainable or healthy approach. It's about trusting yourself.
Speaker 2: Trusting yourself, Yeah, trusting your comedic instinct, believing in yourself.
Speaker 1: And that leads to another important point he makes, okay, about the importance of finding your tribe.
Speaker 2: Your people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your community okay, And he's not just talking about you know, any community. He's talking about finding your people, your comedy crew, within the comedy world.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He specifically mentions, you know, these comedians who took him under their wing early in his career offered guidance. That's important, even constructive criticism, because.
Speaker 2: Other people can see things you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need that often. He says that having that network of peers who understand the unique challenges and rewards of this world.
Speaker 2: It makes all the difference, makes you feel seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like any field, right, having mentors peers.
Speaker 2: To bounce ideas off of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can bounce ideas off event to celebrate with miserate. He even jokes that sometimes the funniest moments happen off stage really among the comedians, that makes sense. Yeah, he tells a story about being in a room full of comedians, okay, and nobody's laughing. Oh, that's funny because they're all comedians.
Speaker 2: Because they're all analyzing the jokes.
Speaker 1: They're analyzing it. They're admiring the craft from when you're a comedian, right, it's a different kind of appreciation totally. But at the end of the day, Big Shane circles back to that simple desire to spread joy, to use his comedy as this force for good.
Speaker 2: That's a good goal and it's a.
Speaker 1: Great reminder that behind every comedian's jokes there's a person with a story, with their own story, their own struggle.
Speaker 2: And we never know what it is.
Speaker 1: We never know what's going on behind this month exactly.
Speaker 2: And everyone's fighting their own battles.
Speaker 1: And sometimes laughter is the best medicine.
Speaker 2: It really is. Sometimes you just need a good laugh, so true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Big Shane's story is a great reminder to be kind to each other, absolutely, find the humor in the unexpected, and never underestimate the power of a good laugh.
Speaker 2: A good laugh can go a long way.
Speaker 1: But before we get to Big Shane's adventures at the Comedy Shrine. Let's take a quick break and come back for the grand finale.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, I'm ready, all right.
Speaker 1: So back to the Comedy.
Speaker 2: Shrine, the legendary Comedy Shrine. Big Shane's bout a stage, late night slot members.
Speaker 1: Yeah, late night's lot. Maybe not his ideal situation.
Speaker 2: A little too big for his breeches.
Speaker 1: Maybe, Well he did say that, but then he kind of catches himself, right.
Speaker 2: Like, whoa ego check? You know?
Speaker 1: Good for him, shows a level of self awareness definitely.
Speaker 2: That's huge in comedy. I think keeping your ego.
Speaker 1: In check absolutely can't let it go to your head.
Speaker 2: Especially in that world. It's so easy to get swept up in it.
Speaker 1: So he's there, he's at the Comedy Shrine, it's late, he's battling the ego.
Speaker 2: What happens? Give it the details?
Speaker 1: Well, he talks about this moment really stuck with him. He've been getting good feedback, you know, from other comedians. Sure they're all on it together, right, but there's this one compliment. Oh there's always one that kind of hit different, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm intrigued. What was it?
Speaker 1: He mentions this well known comedian I guess in his local scene, okay, guy named John Bragg, and John Bragg told Big Shane that he was on another level. Wow, And you can tell it meant a lot to him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, validation from someone you respect.
Speaker 1: That's huge to have that kind of affirmation.
Speaker 2: Especially in a field like that where it's so subjective.
Speaker 1: Right, But even in that moment getting that praise, you know, Big Chane's still cautious, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he just want to buy into the hype.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to get caught up.
Speaker 2: Got to be grounded, stay true to himself, his style, his voice, which.
Speaker 1: All comes back to, you know, that desire to make people happy.
Speaker 2: That seems to be his driving force.
Speaker 1: Using comedy to offer an escape, even if it's just for a little while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world's a crazy place.
Speaker 1: We need that, we do a little laughter, a little lightness.
Speaker 2: And that's what makes his story so relatable.
Speaker 1: You know, he's just a guy trying to figure it out like the.
Speaker 2: Rest of us, using humor to navigate it all.
Speaker 1: Being open about the struggles, the depression, the therapy.
Speaker 2: It all adds up to something real, something authentic, and.
Speaker 1: It reminds us that we never really know what someone's going through.
Speaker 2: Everyone's fighting their own battles, so be kind, always be kind. Mind the humor, there's always humor to be found.
Speaker 1: And don't underestimate a good laugh.
Speaker 2: Never underestimate a good laugh.
Speaker 1: So there you have it, a glimpse into the world of stand up.
Speaker 2: What a world.
Speaker 1: The highs, the lows.
Speaker 2: The laughs, the tears.
Speaker 1: The vulnerability, the resilience.
Speaker 2: And the power of laughter.
Speaker 1: It's all there, it really is. We hope this deep dive has given you a new appreciation for the craft, the comedians who make us laugh. Absolutely, and the story's behind the jokes.
Speaker 2: Because everyone's got a story, everyone does. Keep laughing out there.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time.