Speaker 1: I am very much in Amsterdam, so like we're getting ready. I need to get through this today so I can consume my weight in weed brownie and wander over to this pub.
Speaker 2: That I quite like so nice.
Speaker 1: I like to sit on this pub by this one canal and like watch people go buy on bikes. We got here and we went immediately to this particular pub ILike, and there was a guy with this cute little dog who didn't want to leave the pub, and then he eventually got the dog to come and then immediately put it in a basket on his bicycle. And I was like, I fucking love Amsterdam, bro, Like hell yeah, he just like fully biking off with that little guy in the front. I was like, it's awesome culture, man, it's so good.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen anyone fall in the canal? I'm sure it's only tourist if you have, but never.
Speaker 1: I've never seen anyone fall in the canal, although I will say that so it's really hot. It's like in the nineties, and there are lots of young people swimming in the canals, and I was like, oh shit, is it like clean enough to do that? And like they uh like they have like swimming pontoons and stuff, and I was like, I bet I guess they cleaned them up or something like. You know in London they're always like stay the funk out of the canal. You will get chlamydia.
Speaker 2: You know, but that's crazy.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, so who knows. Man, that's all sorts of things happening on the continent, right, So.
Speaker 2: That's awesome that yeah, stuff like that is so cool.
Speaker 1: Kind of got what yeah, oh yeah, like, oh sorry the internet. Listen everyone, I'm on Hotel Wi Fi. So we're doing our best out here, but you know, like it might be a bit scattered. But yeah, as I texted you yesterday, I did get talked down to by the lady in the weed shop and I bought what I bought my annible yesterday and I was like, okay, I was like, listen, you know, I'm a grown up, right. I was like, I'm going to get I was like, I'm gonna get this weed brownie because I just like prefer the edibles in my old old age. And also, blessed Justin doesn't know how to inhale weed, so yeah, you're right there. He's like, I'm right here, you know how to do it Courtney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Never good at smoking.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So anyway, class was explaining to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently a young woman in the class he was teaching today explained to him he needs to learn how to inhale weed, which is true. But listen, we got this brownie. We got this brownie one way or another, and she was like, well, do you smoke weed? And I was like, man like, madam, like you I'm clearly old, right you think that. I'm like, I can show it up in here. Like in the first place, the bouncer lad he'd been id people in front of us, and I was like, oh shit, do we need ID? And then so he's like, you're clearly not young. You don't need to show the ID. And I was like, okay, that's true, but also like fuck you a little bit. But anyway, and I go when I go, I just like, do you even smoke weed? I'm like, it's since you've were not even a glint in your father's eye, ma'am. And then like it was like so she's like, yeah, well what do you And I was like, look, I usually do edibles and she's like what do you do? When I was like, usually like ten milligrams, and she's like, okay, so like cut this into quarters. And I was like, I'm going to cut it into eighths. Okay, Like I understand, to be clear, I understand not to eat this whole thing. Like, but I suppose they probably do have a lot of tourists who just go crazy eat a brownie, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I also don't understand that it like tourists, I mean don't and and I don't mean it's contestining, but like if you if you don't, if you're not used to the weed that you get in a place where it has been legalized for a long time and it is a cultural or counter cultural thing there, like uh, California, Colorado, Washington, Alaska, Amster Day, you know, like and the various places all over that that have that. It like the weed is stronger, it's higher quality, it is you know, it's just it's a it's it's a bit different. And and the edibles like they hit a lot more evenly typically when you have places like that, because even people who even doing edibles like like how they make them in like uh like uh big growhouses and like factories and stuff. Now, like you could still get uneven because that's just how you know, fluid mixtures work. Sometimes they yeah, and uh yeah, it's it's really strong, so like, yeah, I'm sure they're probably just checking. However, it is also just going into a dispensary is like mortifyingly embarrassing on all levels. And I'm and I'm a person who is like just like go all in for whatever you like or whatever. And I'm fine, you know, I talk about weed. It's great. I think it's cool if people want to use it. If they don't, that's also cool. I don't really give a shit. But like going in there, it just it's it feels like the lamest thing in the world, even if you know them, even if you go in there all the time, because you're just like like in Futurama when Zoidberg gets money and he's like one art please, and you go in and you're like, one marijuana please, good sir. Like you're wearing like a shirt that's like a like a big Bride orange shirt that says like, I'm a fucking tourist. I just fell off the turn up truck.
Speaker 1: Oh completely, And it's like and obviously I'm in you know, one of the touristy areas because that's like here, I know where to go, and like, yeah, here, did I show you, I'll show you, I'll show you. Like the box, it's like they've got it's like very gimmicky. So last time last year, they got my ass when I came because they have like this very fancy red velvet cake and it comes in a similar box with So I showed you the box, but like when you open it up, look it's like, uh all gold inside.
Speaker 2: See oh oh you got the gold foil.
Speaker 1: The box for the red velvet cake like folds out like a flower, and like they got my ass with that. So I got this like red velvet cake, and I gotta tell you it was the nastiest fucking thing that I go.
Speaker 2: Say. Red velvet cake is hard. It is hard to get right in the first place. And uh throwing throwing such a pungent aroma slash specific taste into that yow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the reason why the Brownie real rules supreme.
Speaker 2: In the gummy Like, oh look I've got this fruit gummy. Okay, cool, even dummies.
Speaker 1: Here they don't do gummies really, yeah, which it was really interesting. I don't know if they like have rules about it or whatever, because I went in last year and I was fully giving it the like hello, I'm from Washington, you know. I like I prefer more sativa forward, you know. And I'm like I'm like fucking giving it this one. And they're like, look, it's an indigo sativa hybrid and we don't have dummies and I was like you don't and they're like, no, we only have red velvet cake or brownies. And I was like like so, like I'm in They're like acting like I know what's going on. I have no idea what the toutch are up to, Like I only know the Seattle dispensary. Like so I'm just like, okay.
Speaker 2: Never mind that is.
Speaker 1: I'm like, my ass is always like going to like Shaun Camp cannabis when I'm home. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They oh man, like they're they're like they have their laws, like you have to have one good kind of weed and one terrible kind of weed to throw people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta suffer a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, it's it's the characteristic on the syntax.
Speaker 1: To be given words to like adjusting weed a bunch of indiica. I would argue, no, but like, I mean, maybe they're like, hopefully you'll just go fucking non verbal and stay in one place. But yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows. I don't know. The indiicositiva thing is the Indico city of a hybrid thing is the three is the three different kinds of Duff beer? Uh the same tube? All right, man, yep, totally yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Guys that lady Duff.
Speaker 2: You know it's Uh, I love this market. Like people ask me, I'm like, I'm cool. Whatever you want, like, you know, whatever, whatever it is, and I like I sometimes sometimes be like, oh, you don't have a favorite, and I'm like I can't really tell a difference, and they kind of look at it and I'm like, I'm not getting into all this with people. It's not scientifically proven. It's not it's fully probably psychosomatic.
Speaker 1: It's fully like weed somaliaism. It's just like them being like, yeah, I think that this is what it is. And I mean I believe in the weed, which they're doing good work.
Speaker 2: Look if that if that works on you, like if you're the type of person who's like, oh, when I spoke Indica, I do feel this way knock yourself out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Don't like your brain and your body chemistry. That's that's your thing. I'm just saying scientifically, it is what it is, you know, Like, yeah, but not not here to to fuck with anyone's thing, all right.
Speaker 3: Questions yeah, questions, yeah.
Speaker 2: Hello, Welcome back to We're Not So Different, a podcast about how I read oh god, read velvet cake like red velvet cake.
Speaker 1: We I'm telling you it was nilsd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well about how that's always been gross. Hey folks, we are doing some mail and we're back. We're back with another monthly installment of the patron mail Bag. As you know, we turn at least one episode a month into a long form advertisement for our Patreon by answering questions submitted by our patrons. Remember, if this interests you or you want to help the show by throwing us a little walking around money every month, you can do so for just five dollars a month at patreon dot com slash at w nstpod. Not only do you get good vibes from the knowledge that your money keeps the show going, you also get two bonus episodes a month, add free listening to all regular episodes and access to our discord chat. We normally answer these questions at the start of most episodes, but have so many that we need to do these mail bags, and so here we are this time we talk about what happens if you are shipwrecked in the Middle Ages, depictions of Jesus, Medieval crocs, the shoes, not the giant creatures, though they were around in some places. Slaves at the end of empire, noble views of chivalry getting cut off at the medieval pub the worst name for a child I've ever heard, at least the medieval and more enjoy verse from pro overflow. What's the painting slash treating wood situation? Are they painting houses and shed to protect them from the elements using pitch or creasido barns, treating wood with anything covered in mud or is it just frequently replaced.
Speaker 1: They're usually not building with that much wood, not all the time. They're often a building with wattle and daub and wood, so it's often kind of like you have beams and that sort of a thing and then wattle and daub in between, so you know, kind of what we would call a Tudor style building. They've got a lot of that going on in places however, where you do have more trees. So for example, in like Scandinavia, Bohemian places like that, you have wooden buildings that are often treated with like pitch and resin and things like that. Lacquer, Yeah, lacquer in order to kind of like keep it a little bit better. But it's one of these things where they kind of like remake their buildings a lot. Yeah, so you know, because things burn down and you know, stuff moves around, you want to enhance things, and they don't have the same interest in keeping old buildings as we do now. And so as a result, like things turn over a lot, and if you eventually get any money, you will build in stone like in cities and things like that. But yeah, it's a lot more waterle and daub. Occasionally things are painted, but the usually it's kind of like the equivalent of like whitewash, although oftentimes a big way that is augmented is you do put in colors. So you know, if you've got anything lying around, you make color. One thing is true that they will do, it's the you know, the color aux blood. It's like, yeah, because you put blood in with the whitewash and you get that pink color, so like fun, that's that's fun. But yeah, you might, you might do different colors in different places because you know, they never met an opportunity to make something bright that they didn't like, So you do have a lot of painting that goes on, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Most of the stuff you read in histories about wood is treating it with lacquer, pitch or creosote for protection and waterproofing, especially with ships that is like they are they are doing so much pitch and tar type stuff, just like to to try and seal all of those little cranny nooks and everything in there, and.
Speaker 1: Which also helps you realize why things catch on fire so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if you have to, if you have to treat everything with creosote and pitch, both of those things. There's a reason that that pitch is used in battle and it's lit on fire because it's a it's an accelerant. Yeah almost, it was an upper like it was a drug. It's a drug. No no, no, no, no, you don't want none of this fire shit.
Speaker 1: I'll get it back here. Blasted off that Kreus out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, blasted per overflow, thank you for the question. Next week got one from Katie who says, this week my news algorithm to be an article from The Guardian about quote wife schools end quote hosted by Christian women preaching submissiveness to one's husband as the path to bliss yuck. Any who. The article talked about this being out of line with what is actually happening in organized religion right now, which they state is that young women are leaving religious institutions while young men are diving in. Here's the key quote quote, Women, especially those eighteen to twenty nine prime marrying age, are fleeing organized religion due in large part to its often regressive views on gender roles. Experts say. Meanwhile, their male counterparts, brothers, friends, husbands seemed to be in the midst of a religious reawakening. This made me think about the various changes in religiosity and religious movements in the medieval era in Europe and wonder if there were in general similar gender differences in opinion actions slash actions about the changes that were happening in their society. Where their women in the media val era rolling their eyes at men waxing on about how great the crusade was going to be were their hordes of angry men to crying religious movements or societal changes driven by women. I can just imagine a woman being man'splained to about the Holy Land and how great a crusade was going to be, and herresponding with, you should definitely do that. Yep, go for it. You need help packing In summary? Are they examples of the medieval era where women and men respond to religious changes in opposite ways?
Speaker 1: Well, obviously we get to hear from women a lot less, so that's part of your first issue with this. And then when we do hear from women about this, it's like they have to be so fucking exceptional, right, So it's like it's people like Hildegard, right, and Hildegard we do hear from about this where she's like, yeah, that's all bullshit, right. And it's quite interesting because you can't call these women feminist because they don't think men and women are equal, to be clear, but they just don't think that women are evils. Yeah, yeah, they're they're like, listen, maybe, actually it's good that women are different from men. Like I'm just spitballing here, Like if if God created men and women, then it can't be that bad, right, Like, why would he make something that he thought sucked it? Does it really stand to reason? And indeed, like Christina Pizzan writes about this at the beginning of the City of Ladies, where she's like, you know, yeah, I've grown up my whole life, I'm hearing that women fucking suck and are the world and the most sinful, and that they're constantly like seducing men. But it's weird because I've never actually seen that happen, Like I've never seen it to be true. And so that's a quite interesting thing because she's not even saying that, like she didn't believe it. She's just like, it's weird because like that doesn't seem to bear out with the reality. And we definitely do see you know, we see men talking about women constantly, like it just happens all of the time. But I mean, for the most part, no, like people kind of really believe in the concept of crusading. They really seem to like it. You know, eventually it stops having anything to do with, you know, ordinary people. I think that you know, you most women are pretty happy to see their husband's fuck off if they are of the you know, echelon where they can go out to war, because it's like, okay, yeah, cool, if you're gonna go over there, then like if I don't, if I choose not to go, which some go with and some don't, then that's cool because I'm just like ruling the house while you're gone, and I'm not going to get knocked up. So yeah, that's nice, right, But you know, we do have to understand that one of the differences between religion and in religion now is that people then believed it right, whereas now there is a possibility of not believing in Christianity or indeed just rejecting organized religion. You know, there's there's no positible way of doing that in the Middle Ages. So even if you did maybe think it there, most women aren't going to be able to have a way to write it down. So that's not going to get back to us. And so we just kind of have to read between the lines. Is it probable that these things happened, Sure, it's just that we don't have a way of knowing, because that's just how source survival works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think reading between the lines is about the best you can get. Other than I mean there, what's that that book or it's a anonymous treatise about how.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're bang on here, because the Halli medved or a letter on virginity, does go into this, but from the opposite perspective. So it's like it's religious women saying don't get married because being married fucking sucks, and they're like, pregnancy sucks, childbirth sucks, being married sucks because your husband is almost certainly going to be a stupid piece of shit. He's not going to help you around the house, so you're going to have all the work. Plus you're going to have a kid, and it's awful and you basically are going to regret it, right, Like, yeah, being completely sublimated to the wishes of a man and also having kids is really hard. You know, they might die, you'll be heartbroken, it'll be awful. So that's like the same thing from an opposite perspective, where religion there acts as a way to shield women from having to do this horrible fucking thing and some chut. Right. So it's interesting because now religion is being used as the key to making women subservient to men, whereas at the time it was like religion is the thing that could free you from this possibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think that is probably the best you're going to be able to get from this. And you know, I know that's sometimes not what people really want to hear because they want like a definitive answer. But I like, I've been re listening to friend and former guests of the show evert Rummage's Age of Napoleon podcast, just re listening to everything, and it's great. But one thing I really am struck by is how like by this time, by that sorry, by that time in the early eighteen hundreds, you have memoirs from not just the wealthy, not just the notables of society, not not just you know whoever, you have it from like uh, you know, regular regular people who are like you know, they're like a barber or a uh they play the clarinet in like one of one of the Napoleonic bands or army bands or something like that, and you just have all of them. I mean there there are several dozen memoirs written by former sex workers and and and women who were just on like uh you know who just who were in the baggage trains of these armies, and we have nothing like that because we didn't, you know, because even if they did have paper, it would be very difficult for it to survive to us. And you know, you like all of the stuff we talk about with source survival and it's just like, yeah, they you don't get it. But when you do find a source, I think you can extrapolate feelings like that out of it. You just have to remember to put them in the context of medieval thought, because, as owners said, they were not feminist as we understand it. You know, it was a patriarchal society, but you know that political expression and form was still a ways off, even though we can call some of this stuff I guess like proto or extremely nascent. Yeah, you know, to.
Speaker 1: That I'm fine with. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: Katie, thank you very much for the question. Next we got one from dog God who said, generally, what generally happened to the survivors of medieval shipwrecks if they were strained into a foreign country? Did they have a way of getting home? And I think one big thing here is that this depends on where you are shipwrecked, when you are shipwrecked, and what the relationship is between the place the owner of the land that you have been ship direcked upon in your home nation or territory or whatever. And a lot of times that's us controlled by treaty like yeah, and and but yeah, it's it really depends eleanor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. But I mean I think that like, you probably stand the best chance of getting back home if you are like a Venetian. Yeah, for example, like, because they have such an incredibly wide array of ships that are moving around at all times, you're gonna be able to find another Venetian in the area wherever you are, like in order to help out, and they are going to you know, be able to kind of like vouch for you because if they know where your family is or whatever, they'll they'll pick you up right, they'll take you home. If you end up shipwrecked, you know, very far away, like completely outside of your cultural context, that's gonna be a little more difficult. But if you're a merchant or a trader or some kind, you'll probably be good because most people are quite interested in sort of like keeping trade flowing, right, They're gonna be like, oh, yeah, okay, let's find someone who's got some kind of language in common. We'll get this worked out. We'll see what we can see, and it is possible to kind of make your way back home. You're gonna run into trouble if you are like a soldier of some description and you end up in the wrong place. Like that's the thing, Like, even nobility like this can be a real problem because you know, if there's beef between you and whoever else, you might find yourself in trouble. They might demand ransoms in order to get you different places, that sort of thing. But yeah, I think on the whole you're best off being a trader because you know, trade is the thing that unites us all. But I mean, like if you are I would need wrong like in Genoa, good luck. They're not all like that, you know, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean there, And there's also a chance that the people, the first person that you encounter if you are ship direct is a group of pirates or smugglers or bandits some something like that, and you meet a grizzly fate regardless of whether you know whether you landed on your ally shores or an enemy shores. So you know, it's just a it's the rich menagerie of medieval life the rich, the rich heterogeneous tap of medieval life, where like it was like well, I mean, like if you're Venetian and you got a bunch of money on you and you land intact, you could probably get home from anywhere unless somebody you know who doesn't care picks you up and just kills you for the gold you have, and which goes well, I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, completely completely all.
Speaker 2: Right, uh dogad, Thank you very much for the question. Next we got one from the final vow. Can we get a brief history of how Jesus was depicted through antiquity in the medieval era? How did certain symbols besides the obvious cross or colors come to represent him? Who decided what he looked like? The question is inspired by my friend who grew up Catholic, pointing out a medieval manuscript where Jesus was shown clean shaven. He said that he'd never seen Jesus drawn that way before. I also remembered reading about very early images of Jesus looking like the god Apollo. And I've seen Russian Orthodox icons that you look somewhat distinct as well. I imagine there were points of divergence for that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean mostly it's going to be based on artistic preferences, which do exist. I mean, the major way you're going to see your good boy JC is on the cross, which is, you know, the ordinary sort of thing, or you're going to see him depicted within varying bits of his life, you know, so that you understand that you're looking at Jesus. Right. They all usually have a little bit of icronography, like any religious person, that tells you who they are. So you know, if it's Saint Agnes, she's going to have a lamb with her. You know, if it's John the Baptist, he's going to be looking scruffy with it. Things like that. So you need to have these symbols so that people know who it is. They are looking at an unbearded Jesus. Not usual, it's not particularly un usual, but it would make sense within a clerical context because a lot of the time a monks shave their which is a symbol of their the fact that they've retreated from the world. So you know, monks are often tauntured and shaven, and that's how you know that they're a member of the clergy, because they don't have beards and things of this nature. They're they're apart and separate from the world. So Jesus with no beard is likely to be a reference to kind of clerical sensibilities, church sensibilities. You know, this is a monk trying to see himself in Jesus, right, Symbology wise, like earlier on, you know, you got lots of you know, ick this is and things like that, so you draw the little fish and stuff before it becomes legal to be a Christian and then that kind of thing, so you have that little symbology like in terms of the oh, they're like it looks like the god Apollo. I think all that stuff is really over egged, and it's like pretty Victorian in the sensibilities, you know, people want there to be this like one to one paganism which is then replaced with Christianity when what we definitely know from watching Christianity takeover in certain places, So for example, like with the Vikings, what you often see more often is actually these two things existing side by side, much to the scrin of the clergy, right, And you know when people are like, oh, well, really Easter is just peg in the holiday and I'm like, yeah, like everybody. I don't know what to tell you. Everybody has a spring festival, right like like this is this isn't a gotcha, right like, it just is what it is like, and you know, like you know, possibly possibly, yeah, sure, it might be nice to just like if you've got a nice statue of Apollo, you might just want to be like, no, it's Jesus and like paying him the different color or some shit, because like that's pretty nice statute. You might you might want to reuse it. But you know, by the time we're in the medieval period, like it's it's been a minute, right, that's we were doing all that, you know, so you have lots of other things, and yeah, you know, obviously iconography differs between like the Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church at times, but on the whole, you pretty much know who you're looking at, and for them, it's less like this is a drawing of Jesus and he looks this way. It's more like I need to make this legible as Jesus. Yeah right, It's it's not portraiture as such. It is it is symbols and that's what matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm visibly shuddering at beardless Jesus that no, no thanks, I'm sorry. I don't I don't even care, like I just like know that. Yeah, I'm sorry. I yeah. All I would add is that you asked about color, and purple as a color has been associated with Jesus since the earliest times because purple was the color of world and you know, nobility at the or not nobility of royalty in the highest levels of of of rulership at that time. So yeah, been that way since before the medieval era. But yeah, final val, thank you again very much for the question. Next we got one from Quixotic, who says, I took the following picture of a statue at the met Cloisters and this acrobat, this acrobat here appears to be wearing crocs. What kind of what kind of footwear is this and what is the advantage of it? Also, is footwear in general something most normal people are making for themselves, especially a specialty good they pay someone else for. Thanks for the pod, and seriously people go to the met Cloisters And if you can from Quixotic, so yeah, eleanor why is this? Why is the monk doing a backbend and why is he wearing slippers that look like they have Swiss cheese holes in them, like modern crocs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what we are looking at is probably actual slippers. As you say. So, like the major way that we see footwear in the Middle Ages is you have kind of wooden overshoes for walking around in the mud and shit like that, and then you kind of have like a cloth shoe or a wool shoe or like a softer leather shoe that then slips inside that so that when you get into a house, you take your overshoes off and then you bring these in. And I think what we're seeing here is they're trying to sort of show us a stippling effect, probably on soft leather. So this is going to be like, oh, these are kind of fancier shoes. It's got like polka dots right here. You can see there's been a lot of attention paid to the folds of the cloth. They're really trying to make it sure you understand how the cloth folds, and so what they're doing there is they're also showing you that, like this is kind of worked leather. There are cobblers, is the answer. They do be out here coblin. Even if you are in a smaller village, you know, there might have access to someone who specializes in this. But a lot of times people make they own shoe, you know, like you will. You can make leather shoes, you can make wooden shoes and things like that. But also you know, when you go to market town, there's gonna be someone who's better at making clogs than you, for sure, for sure. So yeah, and fun fact, this is this here, this little backbend, this is like the number one way that they love to show acrobats. They're always showing acrobats hating this move. The Salome on the outside of Ruan Cathedral is hit in this as well, which I think is really funny because they're like, oh yeah, the sexiest thing they can think of is this. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It's neither here nor there. But I love art of Solome because like she was one of the pre imminent muses and art tropes from I don't know, like probably like two ears basically since like the Catholic Church as an entity has existed probably before that, and like now, like now today she is solely known through art, Like she is not like what uh like that? That is it? Like like when I was growing up, like Solome was just a name that's in the Bible, like it's not accorded like any significance like it was to people like back in the day, like I'm so horny, what can I get away with drawing? Oh clarial dude?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, exactly, it's like, yeah, she's she's baddie or allowed to draw, right yep? And her and Jezebel Yeah yeah, yeah, so yeah, it's fun how how that shows up? So yeah, it's it's interesting. This is a really interesting uh yeah statue. I really like it. I think it's clearly kind of was on a pillar or something like that, so you know, you could you can see how much fun the Stonemason is having with this one, which I really respect. But yeah, basically I think that what they're just trying to show is that this person has really fun clothes, which is, you know, kind of like underscores their their position as as an acrobat. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, all the subject of the cloisters, I'm probably giving a talk there in January or February this year, probably more likely to be fab at this point, so I don't know, if you're in the area, I'll let you know when that happens. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll probably yeah, I'll probably use this image as the header for this episode so you can take a look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come check it out, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd post images on spreaker where this stuff comes from, but they won't. Uh, they won't let me post some of the things. So yeah, anyway, I'll definitely post it on Patreon too, quick son, thank you for the question and the fun image. Next, we got one man this name from Uh, we got one from Jost, the Texican who says, is it known what became of Astrolabe, the son of Eloise and frenemy of the show Peter Abelard. Uh, I need to say that Astrolabe is the naming your kid Kalisi of the Middle Ages. Yeah, I also need to say that he became.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: His name is Astrolabias, which just makes in Latin it's Astrolabias and it just sounds like Astrolabia. Anyway, man probably just annihilated him with that name in school or whatever. Anyway, eleanor I'm sure there's a serious hatser here.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, so we know from letters that Heloise wrote that she's kind of like trying to make sure he has a good position. We know that he's been educated for the church, which is of course probably what they wanted. And we do know that Eloise, like writes the Abbot of Clooney, Peter is the Venerable, and like she's trying to find a position for him in like an affiliate collegiate church sometime in the twelfth century, and Peter's venerable writes back to Eloise like really nicely, and he's like, yeah, like I'll find him a prebend and like and he's like, I'll do it for your sake, which kind of shows you the esteem that Eloise is held in. So you know, clearly this is like a woman who commands this serious respect. And she's also clearly still doing like the mom thing of being like, we got to find a position for my kid. Right, So we do know that he's definitely like being groomed for the church, and we know that he is kind of connected to a guy called Poucher who was attached to the cathedral in Nantes, and then like we do know that like these are people who kind of like look after him. Right, There's a guy called Bernard of Escoublac, and he was a dean of the cathedral chapter at Clervaux, and that's a really big deal, right, So he he like helps find these places, so we know that he eventually kind of like finds like a place within the church, and that there are are multiple members of the church who are interested in making sure that he lives a nice, long life. So yeah, there you go, church.
Speaker 2: For him, right, Yeah, yeah, we should probably do an episode on Avalard at some point. He's just so interesting, like good and bad, insanely weird and insanely insanely just what an interesting person for this for this time, Like it really seems like a man out of history and a lot of a lot of brother alb right, my god man. Ah So but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. It's like, I mean, fundamentally people really like clearly people like Eloise.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they love her, and uh yeah it's they don't less So yeah, they don't like Abelard, but they like Eloise and she fucking loves Abelard for whatever reason, whatever reason.
Speaker 1: An astrolabe Ablard that's his kid's name. This poor kid. You'd have to go to the church, you'd have to, like, you can't, you can't. No one's gonna fuck.
Speaker 2: Astrola because they no one else knows what an astrolabe is. I was when I look this up. I learned that Abelard was the person who like popularized the astrolabe as like a as like a I guess an art motif and also is like a real way for them to like describe their cosmology. So like it's like it's like the guy it's like, uh, Marconi naming his son radio and then being like why doesn't anyone why why don't you know what his name is? Like it's so like, oh man, Anyway, I don't think Ablard invented the astrolab by the way, I'm just saying it's kind of comparable. Josh, thank you very much for the question. Uh good life astrolabe probably went into the church and died around the eleven fifty eleven fifties. Yeah, so, uh, Next we got one from Laura and Pegasus, who says, I don't know if this question is more ancient than medieval history, but I was wondering what happened to all the slaves in the district different regions of the Western Roman Empire as it started collapsing. Did they escape just kept on as slaves and gradually become serfs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's pretty much it. Yeah, Like so basically the Roman empire itself collapses, but like your boss is still fucking there, Like the guy who owns he was still there, and he's usually got some hired goons, right, Yeah, not tired of saying that.
Speaker 2: Ever, No, I never will be no matter how, no matter that the definition of goons has changed to like people who like edge when they jerk off or whatever it actually is, it's it's hired goons to me, dam it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's always going to be hired guons to me. So, yeah, you know that there are going to be your people who are compelling you to stay in your place. They do eventually kind of switch over into being more in surf. But also in the earlier medieval period we do have a high level of enslavement that often happens, for example, like that's what the vikings are doing, like unpopular fact that people people really like to gloss over that. Now people like to be like, oh there were traders, and I'm always like, uh huh, what were they trading?
Speaker 2: Trading?
Speaker 1: Well, that's cool, Like, babe, there's only so much amber in the Baltic right, like, so they are there's and that's also why things you know, when you know, you hear the term rape and pillage, it's confusing because it comes from like the word raptists, and raptists means kidnap as much as it means rape, so like, actually what most people are complaining about is the fact that like you get fucking kidnapped when the vikings show up, and like and also not even with the vikings, but like earlier in the medieval period, you can be the victim of like raids from local places, and what they usually try to do is kind of just like get you far enough away from like maybe your linguistic group or anyone who can like necessarily help you, and then and then you'll be enslaved. So the Roman slaves just kind of they're still there and they're they're still enslaved. But the situation of enslavement doesn't really go away much until like the High Medieval period, like the further into Christianity you get the fewer enslaved people they are there are because like.
Speaker 2: Until until until the unpleasantness.
Speaker 1: Until the unpleasantness of that comes about in the fifteenth century and then forward, so in the medieval period, there are fewer and fewer enslaved people, but you're more likely to have like more enslaved people in areas where like Muslims and Christians are living next to each other because they're constantly like enslaving each other back and forth, as is the style of the time. So because you're kind of like allowed to have slaves from the other religions. But like so for example, like you have all kinds of you will see miracles done by certain stints. So for example, Saint Ventis loss one of his miracles after he's dead as he frees some slaves who are Christians. And it's like basically one of these things where it's made very clear that it's unacceptable to keep slaves if they are are Christian. And that's kind of like ninth century.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, Lauren Pegasus, thank you very much for the question. Next, we have one from Gafsei. We have an idea of how nobility. We have an idea of how nobility views chivalry and stuff from the popularity of written texts about Charllemagne's knights, King Arthur's court, et cetera. Do we have any records of popular oral traditions where the depictions of things like knightly honor, chivalry, et cetera significantly different, or were the broad strokes the same?
Speaker 1: Uh No, I mean the broad strokes about the same what you tend to get from popular literature, like especially, which is there's less like popular literature. It's more like fablio what you got written down, or like sometimes we have plays recorded and the major thing that you'll see there is them making fun of nights and doing fart jokes about them, doing jokes about how like the only thing they're actually interested in is like cucking their boss and like that that's actually what it's what it's about, right, like the idea that this isn't for anything virtuous and indeed it's just about like getting your leg over. That's that's what you had to say, so you know, it's why I'm not calling it particularly like subtle. But yeah, I mean, if they're going to portray a knight is good, they're going to do it in exactly the same way. And if they feel like making fun of a night, they're gonna do pretty much exactly the same thing. It's just like, oh that you're just like an idiot with cta who wants to suck everything that moves the end. Yeah. Well, also, I guess we also do see like at times, like within legends. So for example, like you know, within the Robin Hood legend, I mean, the nobility is what's being lampooned here, you know, like you know, these these guys being bad right like and and needing to have be stole from stole from stolen from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. I also think that it's good to remember that a lot of the folklore and and epic traditions and stuff they do descend from popular oral traditions. So you know, like the stuff about you know, the to take an example of something like the Green Knight or something like that. You know, stories like that just because they were compiled by a churchman at some point, uh or you know later just another guy. But just because they were compiled by a churchman doesn't mean that they were uh noble in origin, although you know, the translation would probably get changed to you know, one that has more noble sensibilities. But yeah, I mean the problem with chivalry generally is that you can't point to it had you there. It's very very very very hard to point to it having been a real, uh even somewhat codified thing that people did at Eleanor of Aquitaine's court. Like there is evidence for and against that. But the thing that is undeniable is that after that fact, the concept of chivalries spread out into what I mean, their popular culture and their ideas to the point that we didn't really talk about it. But like the Persians, uh, the the Iranians, they had concepts of chivalry within their medieval societies of like how uh noble warriors should treat one another, and uh, I mean that that stems from the same like honor based systems and like you know, nightly virtue and stuff like that that the uh, the Eleanor chivalry idea came from. So and I mean they were still doing that. I talked about Napoleon earlier. They were still talking about the same stuff like nobles and generals and stuff. During the Napoleonic Wars. We're talking about you know, virtue and everything, as were the fucking uh slaveholding uh traitorous Confederacy. They all those guys were fucking obsessed with it. They didn't even they weren't even using swords anymore, and fucking gatling guns out there and they were still talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah hell man, Yeah, so true.
Speaker 2: They died and they deserved it anyway, funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love that they died. It's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so yeah exactly. Uh yeah. The I think the views of chivalry were pretty much the same probably until don Quixote. Like at that point, I think you can probably understand that, like there is an undercurrent of like, all right, this is fucking stupid, and like it starts to change at that point. But again, don Quixote is the early fifteen hundreds, and you know, literacy that widespread and it's very long.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what it did for it, don Quixote did for the chivroalric literature what walk Hard did to music biographies. For a while, everyone's like, pack it up, Yes.
Speaker 2: We're done. Back from this right again in fifteen years, okay. Yeah, and then and then they'll do Elvis and we'll get the He's white meme and He's and Austin, Austin Butler will do that will not be able to lose the voice. It'll be great anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, thank you for the question. We got a couple more. This one is from drop Tuning, who says, just wondering about medieval understandings of slash around, serious voice, the responsible service of alcohol, where our publican ancestors obliged to withhold access to the sweet sweet nectar of social success if we appeared absolutely fuck eyed or did they just keep pocketing the coins, importance to the door when it looked like we're about to require buckets and audust Also what we're medieval attitudes and morerace towards public drunkenness in generals cheers legends. This burning missive was sent from a pub toilet xo xo.
Speaker 1: Hell, yes, it's my people, the drenks. You know, it's a beautiful culture. Yeah, this is a good question, and the answer is, for the most part, no, they don't really have a whole lot of rules about this. There are some amusing illustrations from the Middle Ages of like women who are perhaps taverner is kind of like holding men's heads while they puke outside. Yeah, they're like, stew this way homeie.
Speaker 2: We're not that different.
Speaker 1: Surely it's so beautiful. So yeah, you know we.
Speaker 2: Oh no the audio cut out again, Well, stitch this together and.
Speaker 1: Post because it is like, you know, there aren't that many places that are kind of like drinking out posts anyway. Like it's you're probably gonna be going to like a local lady in your neighborhood who like bruised the best beer, and it's gonna be like her house. So basically you're gonna get cut off when she's sick of your bullshit. Right, It's not gonna be like something that is legislated. It's gonna be like she's like I swear to fucking Christ John not again, like you know, your bar and that kind of a thing. So yeah, it's it's not anything that is kind of like legally yeah done. It's more about like what what the good people of your neighborhood will put up with?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah. Sorry, if you heard my voice there in the middle of Eleanor talking my audio, the audio completely cut out and I thought I had lost I thought i'd lost it again, So, uh, if you heard that, just out Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah sorry, Like we're doing our best out here under circumstances today, so we appreciate your patience every Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it like, uh, they don't have standard they don't have standard weight to measures, they don't have stuff like that. It's uh, they don't have foods standards. I mean and like to be honest, Like when you cut off a person, uh, A lot of times varies on like how they seem, you know, like you at a certain point, like I know there are rules about cutting people off, but also like bars can cut you off a lot earlier if like you know, you're you're kind of type of a lightweight or something like that and you don't handle it very well. And you know, I think that's probably always been true. I think you probably had the uh, the proprietress of the house throwing something heavy at you. Uh, if you're the kind of person who couldn't hold two beers, you know you just like like, dude, that's like I.
Speaker 1: Told you you were barred. Piece you know, like.
Speaker 2: Drinking like the two percent ABV. It's like how do you even get drunk off of that going on in your body?
Speaker 1: Like they're like, okay, you can come in, but you can only have a small beer.
Speaker 2: God damn it. Yeah, I'm just imagining like some woman chasing like like she's chasing you with the frying pan. But it's not like a it's not like a it's not like a sexist it's not like a sexist depiction of it. She's literally like, get the fuck out, shut up, no one, no one wants to sing. Stop requesting uh sweet Home Alabama from the bar. For the love of fuck. He has to change instruments to do it.
Speaker 1: Stop. He doesn't know what Alabama is.
Speaker 2: None of us will for hundreds of years.
Speaker 1: Stop. Fuck.
Speaker 2: I'm so tired of you, John anyway, drop tuning. Thank you uh very much for the question. Uh yeah, I'm gonna tie one on and then you know, uh scene blank, blackout, drunk, last one we got Uh oh, folks, we got a copy. Can't namer here. This is a different user. A web presumer is an ekeboo, a different.
Speaker 1: We'll talk you. God, damn it.
Speaker 2: I hate you people, mister President, a second joke naming convention has hit the discord.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: As revolutionaries, we look forward to the current order being thrown down and replaced by a new, better world. I recently read an argument we can't figure out where that this worldview is fundamentally informed by a millenarian Christian worldview. Is that really true? Or precushion uprising like Spartacus in the first century BCE doing something fundamentally different from a modern revolution. And you can't see this listeners, but steam is currently shooting out of my ears. My face is uh is red. It has turned the color of a tomato, and uh yeah, I have to go lie down for a bit.
Speaker 1: Listen. I gotta tell you to me, this sounds like some misappropriation of Mark Fisher, right, Like this sounds like some some capitalist realism that that is sneaking in. And I mean, I guess that what I would say is like, you know, the term revolutionary isn't something that we see thrown around, but that that's true, right, because like that's that as a convention in terms of like a word doesn't really exist in the same way. Like you know, for example, during the Peasants Uprising, right, they're not like, oh we're having a revolution, this is a revolt, right, They're just like, I'm gonna fucking tear this shit down. And I mean I speak of the Peasants Uprising fondly as always very excited for the movie. I hope that everyone will become a watt Tyler head when that when that comes out. But I think it's important to point this out because what we're what we see right from rebellions like this is that there is a huge, huge desire to overthrow systems which oppress ordinary people, and when ordinary people have the possibility of doing so, they fucking take that, right, they take that. So I don't know, I don't like saying that, like, oh yeah, this is like necessarily Christian Millenerianist in character. I mean, I suppose if what you're saying is that you're saying that the world will end if we do something differently, but I don't think that's what we're saying at all. I think that what we're actually saying is that, like the world can be better, right, Yeah, Like I mean, sure, surely, surely that's what we're going for here, right lads, like or we're going we're going for a better world, not a not an ended world. And I don't necessarily agree to to that as a as a way of relating to it. Is that is that about how you feel, Luke?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think I think I think I have two things with this. The first is that the idea of revolutionaries, meaning people who have set out with a distinct political goal to overthrow the specific political system that exists within a nation and replace it with something different or and I mean later replacing like entire world systems, you know, capitalism, communism, et cetera, et cetera. That is a fundamentally early modern and modern concept. Like because as Ellen were said, think of what Tyler. What Tyler was not going in and saying we don't need a king, we need a legislative assembly and something else. No, he was saying, as almost all of these people did, in at least in Europe and and a lot in West Asia and North Africa, the king's evil advisors. It's the king's evil advisors that are doing this, or even if they wanted to go after the king, it was not phrased in like we're going to completely overturn the system. For example, in China, the mandate of Heaven system was used from to twenty ish BCE until nineteen twelve CE. And it though when those things happened, even when an outside force came in, like when the Mongols came in or when the Gin came in from without and imposed this rule on them, they didn't change the system. They adapted themselves to it. As we talked about when we talk about the Mongols, Kublai Khan did not change China into a system like the other khanates or even like or even like how Timigin had done. He adapted his Mongol sensibilities to China and assimilated to it. And that's what people did. So even those weren't technically revolutions as we understand them. So like the idea that it's fundamentally millenarian makes no sense to me because Christian millenarianism have been around for fifteen hundred years. When when like the English Civil War, and when you start when you start having these first like small ideas of like revolutions and what that can mean, and then you have the American Revolution, which I think is vastly overrated in a lot of terms, but it is a revolution. It does exchange one political system for another and throw off a rule, which is definitionally a revolution.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand how it can be. I also don't understand how it can be MILLENERI And from the standpoint of despite the fact that revolutions today are different in terms of definitions and specifics, I don't they You're still following the same idea that people have been doing since the first like Slaver volt that happened, or the first like time of vassal city state insumer got tired of error or you know whoever, or lagash and tried to fight back, and they probably were defeated. But like that idea, that yearning to like uh, to be free of these things, and to be free of in a lot of cases like noble constraints or kingly prerogatives and things like that. They couldn't describe it in the modern terms that we can because we have class consciousness, or we should. They can't describe it like that. But that is the same impulse, the impulse that you feel right now when the burning hatred in your skin because your government, because America or England or anyone in the world, any place in the world, does this fascist like oppression and they other these people and they try to get them killed by either like their fascist police squads or like random civilians who have been worked into a frenzy. The utter hatred and the risible nature that it brings, like the visceral like lump in your throat that comes up where you just want to scream and tear things apart because it's so awful, is the same thing, that same sensation is what what Tyler and the people who followed him felt, is what is what they felt when they overthrew uh the dynasty of Chinshi Wandi in in China, but before the birth of Christ. It's the same thing because they felt this outward oppression and they felt those tendencies that it had, and they did not like it. And that basic thing is something that has existed as far as we can tell since civilization began, because lagash And and er And and the bigger cities in sumer weren't like the other city states, weren't just like, oh yeah, great, you guys are the top dogs and we're just we're you know, we're going to accept the lesser status and be treated like shit, Like no, somebody had to be subserviated into that and through through some degree, and they rebel and we rebel. We have different words for it. Our understanding of it is much different. And that's okay, because the understanding of the understanding of how to overturn the mandate of Heaven was much different for the Song dynasty and the Nine hundreds than it was for the Han and and you know, and and when Mao and Shankaishek when when they were fighting it out, their understandings of that and their embrace or disdain for those past tendencies were completely different because technology and politics and ideology have moved, you know, hundreds a thousand years in the future. So yeah, I don't, I just don't. I don't even see how those two things are directly connected in this unless you are saying that revolution shouldn't changed in such a degree because of how obsessed uh, like Cromwell and his guys were with like the end of the world.
Speaker 1: But but I mean, like that's not all revolution Like, I mean, like, let us let's not like say that the Puritans are like the vanguard of you know, the theespree of the revolutionary Like I simply refuse to believe that. So yeah, I think there is just it. It's just so much more complex than that, you know. And I do think that, you know, ordinary people know when they're being fund I mean, we were talking about this on the ghost episode for Patrons for you know, the Sumerian ghosts the other day. I mean, like even within like their creation myths, they're talking about strikes amongst the gods, you know, and it's like if if the gods are going on strike, then it stands to reason that they have a concept of people going on strike. We know that that enslaved people go on strike in ancient Rome. The friend and colleague Sarah Bonn has written a really great book on this recently about a strikes in ancient Rome, which you should really go check out. It's really excellent. She's an absolute fucking feed on. Oh my gosh, she's so intelligent. But it's, yeah, like, this is something that is that is simply extant in when you are dealing with humans, because we actually know that we deserve better than this. And I just don't think that you can tell, you know, like the slaves who rise up against their oppressors in Rome, that this is a Christian Millinerian. Yeah, you know, I don't think it works like that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, the slaves that fought for their freedom and died, and the slaves who every once in a very great while would occasionally be able to like purchase their own freedom with with blood, which was was rare but did happen on on very on minor occasions. And uh, you know, there were slaves who escaped during even though the Spartacus rebellions and the survivor servile revolts were put down. Some of those slaves definitely did escape, but like the first work stoppage happened the third century bceves in the mid two thousands or early or late two thousand, sorry in Egypt, the people were like, you're not paying us enough, we don't have enough grain, and and and the government had, you know, they had to deal with that. And I mean that is it's the same thing. They're not gonna call it. They're not calling for a quote unquote union. They're not calling for a guild or anything like that, but they are saying like, hey man, fuck you pay me, like hey you fuck you treat me right like you know, it's the same, treat me like I treat me like I like, like you know, like I want to be treated, you know. And I mean the thing about Christianity is like I don't even if like there was a revolutionary undercurrent of Christianity, but every time it comes to the surface, it gets beaten back down with force. Like the revolutionary undercurrent that it had of like changing the status of slaves and overthrowing things was under was devalued and underplayed heavily once it became the religion of the Roman Empire. And then of course in the fifteen hundreds, when the German peasants revolted because they thought it meant that they were going to get to be equal.
Speaker 1: To the uh, Luther put them in their place.
Speaker 2: Luther allied with the Catholic and the nobility again to put to have them put down, and I mean they were brutally put down. So like, I yeah, I don't see it, but thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh, interesting question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. And I mean I don't I've never heard that idea, so it is thought provoking to like think about, like how that would come up. But I just don't. I don't think either of us see it because in the material worldview, it doesn't. I don't. I don't think it's born out by history, even if you take Marxism out of the equation. I don't think it's born out by history because I think the same ideas were still present in uh nascent or uh like uh, you know pro protein forms. Excuse me, there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it's it's it's a little bit global, northern and its sensibilities. Yeah that yeah, I think that that's fair to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't mean that, uh, people who are Christian Millinerians who believe in Christianity cannot be revolutionaries. Far from it. But uh, there there are people. There are revolutionaries right now who are who are fighting. There are Christians right now in Gaza who are who are being uh massacred alongside their Muslim and even uh Jewish comrades and uh and and you know, so yeah, it's folks. I don't think. I don't think revolution is that shallow, and I definitely don't think uh Christianity is the one that came up with it given all of the stuff that predates that. And uh yeah, but at the same time, it's always cool to talk about this stuff so we can kind of bounce it around and and see what's going on.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a weed presumer equals in ikebu. Thank you very much for or the thought provooking question that's going to do it for us today. Again, Please do subscribe to the Patreon it helps keep the show going. Patreon dot com, slash wnstpod eleanor what's going on with you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, mostly I'm just into Amsterdam, aren't I I think? Yeah, if you haven't gone to check me out over on Canceling Daddy yet. Please do that because that'll be good as per usual. Really, mostly the book madness is upon me, and that's the later thing that's going on with me. When I do something else, I will absolutely let all you honeys know.
Speaker 2: Yep, you can find me on the usual places. Luca is amazing, You can find me people's history of the Old Republic if you want to hear me up about Star Wars from Lake I don't know, six years ago or whatever, or even eight years ago. No, anyway, anyway, y'all, thank you all very much for listening. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Keep it so sloppy, yeah,