Speaker 1: Hey guys, Hey guys, and welcome to episode twenty six.
Speaker 2: Of A Strange Thing Podcast. I'm Mike and I'm Austin, and together we are your hosts with the most kind of bring.
Speaker 1: Brings up our topic. Yeah, anyway, we're coming at you from the stranger zone.
Speaker 2: Strangers zone in our.
Speaker 1: Convict today is about weird.
Speaker 2: Quirks, strange quirks that people have.
Speaker 1: Like how if I say hosts, my dad says most every single time.
Speaker 2: Well not every time, but quite a few times. It is kind of a quirk. And it's because I get nervous and I don't know what to say right at that moment, so I just like blurted out.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do with my hands. I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: But that's okay, because everybody has quirks, it's true, and we thought, what a great topic to talk about strange things, strange quirks or strange phobias or strange antics that people do have or say.
Speaker 1: And just because we're saying they're strange doesn't mean they're bad or people should be ashamed of them, or that they're even that strange. But they're they're not something that the majority of people have to deal with. So from the outside perspective, from the third party of you, it feels a little weird.
Speaker 2: I kind of like to think of them as the spices of life.
Speaker 1: Is spices of.
Speaker 2: Life, Yeah, I mean, these are the things that make life interesting.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's fun to meet new people and they do things in different ways and that makes you more endeared towards them.
Speaker 1: Even though, like in my case it's something that drives me absolutely crazy, people seem to have a good time making fun of it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, like, what thing are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I think you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Austin has a little problem, especially with me. I I kind of have a loud eating habit.
Speaker 1: I mean I like chips, a loud consuming habit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I eat, I chew or drink. Yeah, I like to go. I like to chew on my chips, and sometimes I don't get my mouth closed all the way before I bite down, so you get that echically cavernous crunch sound. I love that sound. It makes me hungry. And then sometimes you know, food so good that I kind of kind of do this smack thing like hmmm, yeah, so Austin can't handle it.
Speaker 1: I can't handle that at all. And that's actually an actual.
Speaker 2: A real kind of phobia or a disorder or some disorder phobia, something like mesophonia. Mesophonia, Yeah, me so phony. Austin's a very phony guy. Yeah, it's me so phonia. Yeah, and it's a real thing. A lot of people have it. In fact, I've been asking people when I found out we were going to be doing this episode, I started asking people, you know, do you have any weird quirks or phobias, And a lot of them have eating sound phobias. Because I like to talk about you and say, yeah, my son's kind of weird. He's got this weird thing where he can't stand to hear people chew. He has to turn on the radio half the time. The things he puts on the radio sound a thousand times worse than somebody chewing, but for whatever reason, the disguises the chewing.
Speaker 1: Sound anything static is better. I did a little research and there's a lot of things that can cause it, like involuntary noises from people like smacking or chewing, Loud repetitive noises like I saw one that was interesting, like winschieldipers just drive somebody crazy and I can understand like a pen tapping when you're trying to concentrate and it drives Yeah, wall, I guess that's a form of it. But then they also mentioned that it can be visual too, like if there's a like an intermittent flash from like a maybe a fan or like a you know, something that's just repetitive, repetitive and intermittent, it would drive you. It would drive these people crazy.
Speaker 2: Basically, it's a stimulus that distracts you from what you're trying to do or think.
Speaker 1: I did research on like the causes, and they don't really know what causes it, but they know it's not an ear thing or a visual thing. It's not related to like a physical disability. It's it's a mental thing, and it's something about your brain where it processes these sounds or these the visual or audio input in your brain. It's also kind of having a fight or flight response.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of it's it's an actual mental problem. It's not like something that's just in your head, although it is in your head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your body is having like an angry or anxious or it could have like a depressed, like sad response to it, or even like it can cause nausea and stuff which I can actually feel like. I remember when I was little, we used to wake up in the morning and Mom would kind of get us going in the morning, put out cereal for breakfast or whatever, and my sister Amber, I could just hear her chewing this like fruit help us or whatever, and it would make me mad and we get in like little, you know, altercations in the morning because I'm just so angry in it. Now that I'm older, I don't.
Speaker 2: Process.
Speaker 1: I just don't take it out on that person. Although if I'm irritated and I.
Speaker 2: Hear like, yeah, well, this is a common thing. A lot of people have things that irritate them that other people do. It might be the way that they you know, they have an afflection in their voice when they say something, did I do that? You know, something like that that causes that reaction. Sometimes it's visual, like sometimes the way people will move causes that reaction. You know, if somebody has a weird stance or they stand funny, and it could be psycho semantic.
Speaker 1: Keep touching their nose or they yeah.
Speaker 2: Or nervous tick or something, and they can dry people nuts. I mean, it can actually make them go a little bit baddy for a while. Oh yeah, and it can make them angry and they don't even know why.
Speaker 1: Probably in that situation has a lot to do with the people's opinion of that other person. Yeah, it could be, and like, oh don't I don't want to pump your tires here, guy. But I look up to you. You're my dad, right, And then you're doing this thing chewing so loud that drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: How could somebody look up to sound like.
Speaker 1: And I think it bothers me a little bit more because it's.
Speaker 2: Like, stop, I want to like you. It's so cool and such a stop but tune. Man, Well, I gotta tell a story about my chewing noises. You know, I'm you know my dad, right, you're going, yeah, oh yeah. He is tenfold worse than me in the way that he eats and stuff. As far as noises go.
Speaker 1: We call him the typewriter. When he eats corn on the cob, it's like it's like tump tum tum tum tum tum tum tum tum tum trump all the way across and then all the way to the last side and jump tump tump tump tump. It's impressive.
Speaker 2: It is not even that. I'm just abreasted, except for when you hear the sound. The silent movie would be great.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: One time I was at my sister in law's house and I was sitting there eating sunflower seats and we were all watching a movie. There was like ten of us around the big TV watching a movie or something. I was sitting there just eating my subflower seeds, watching the movie, not a care in the world, totally oblivious to anything, and all of a sudden, the movie stops. Somebody hits pause. If my sister in law goes, Mike, would you cut that out please? She was talking about my sun flower seats roxyand my wife said later she said, yeah, you're making so much noise. You were just crunching on them. They need to spin them. Then you'd spit it in the bottle, and then you get the next one, you crunch it and then you suck the seat out.
Speaker 1: Then you'd spin at the bottle. It's funny.
Speaker 2: And my sister in law had it finally up where she couldn't take it anymore, and she had to stop the movie and ask me, not politely either, She just basically chewed me up and said would you got that off? So anyway, that's my story. It's funny loud noise. You have to admit you make all these like little weird Those are noises that come up out of like your gullie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're like they're like in my body and they're like oh, they're like the weirds is like like, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: And then you're you're looking at me, your mouth is closed and you're making weird noises out of your stomach. I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of one. And we'll probably touch on this stuff later, but we're you know, some weird habits that people have are like involuntary things, and I don't know I have. I've had TMJ before, uh temporal mandibular joint juxtafication TMJ. Anyway, that's from like grinding your teeth and stress and all kinds of stuff. And you look at my teeth they're like all crooked on the right side or they're like ground down.
Speaker 2: You grind your teeth.
Speaker 1: I grab my teeth, but I do it at work and if I have music playing, I grind my teeth and like slide them across the other teeth and make little drum beats in time in time.
Speaker 2: That's actually classified as an obsessive compulsive disorder. Really, I mean, they all kind of go together. And we should throw out a big disclaimer here. We're not making fun of anybody anymore than we're making fun of ourselves, because we all have these strange things that we do.
Speaker 1: Everybody's got a quirk. Yeah, obviously I have my irritation with sounds and my weird drumming in my mouth, and I was gonna see if the microphone could pick it up because I think it'd be funny, do it? Do I have to have a song on my head?
Speaker 2: What song is that?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like a normal drum beat. I don't know if you could hear you would do that with the music as it's playing. Yeah, and like whatever song comes like causes you to do that in that Yeah, And like the grinding kind of like a high hat from like a left to right slide across my front teeth and then like I clacking, So then I got for the drum, like the kick drum.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Most of our listeners don't probably realize or know that Austin is a drummer. So he does play the drums. He's always beating on something. Yeah, except for his wife.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my kids and the dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no people, dogs, animals or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I'm a tapper.
Speaker 2: Life is a drum tap a tapper. I know everybody has weird things. So I'm gonna tell a story. At the time, this could have been really really serious, and it's about me as a little kid growing up. And you hear about kids that have, you know, just different disorders and things like that. So I was one of those kids when I was a little kid. For whatever reason, I remember it was right as I was starting not even kindergarten, it was preschool, and for whatever reason, I got it in my head that mom and dad, my parents were trying to kill me.
Speaker 1: Just for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had this phobia, this belief or whatever it is that a mental disorder that my parents were trying to kill me. I was four or five years old.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I would walk around, I would not touch anything because I was sure there was poison, like some kind of contact poison, right, So I would wash my hands obsessively like repeat, rent wash, repeat, rents washed, repeat, and then when I was done, I wouldn't use a towel because there was poison on the towel. So I would walk around and my mom said that my hands got so chapped.
Speaker 1: Just putting poison lotion on there.
Speaker 2: They couldn't even put lotion on it because that was poison. And when I went to this preschool or this kindergarten, I remember one time, and this is very vivid in my mind, somebody brought donuts for somebody's birthday and I pulled open my donut and there was a drop of oil in the don't you know donut and I thought it was poison, so I wouldn't eat my doughnut. And when I went back to the bathroom, they had these, you know, urinals that were up against the wall, and there was mold growing on the wall. And that was poison.
Speaker 1: Everything's poison.
Speaker 2: Everything was poison. Mom would put salt on like my eggs for breakfast, and I thought it was ground of glass.
Speaker 1: Iokaine from glass.
Speaker 2: It was worse than I It was ground of glass and pepper was poison. And I had lost all this weight. They'd taken me to the doctor. The doctor said kids sometimes go crazy like that, and they do weird things.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Finally. The way I was cured is my mom had to go do something. She worked, and so she took me over to my grandma Ulrich's house and she left me there and my grandma made me some scrambled eggs, which I loved. That was like my favorite thing. And I saw her salt it and I said, no, I'm not going to eat it. You put ground glass on my eggs and she's says, no, I made these eggs for you. You're gonna eat them. And I said, no, it will kill me. You're trying to kill me. And she said, these eggs will not kill you, but if you do not eat these, I will beat you with this broom.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't eat it, and she hit me with the broom, and then to stop her from hitting me with the broom, I ate the eggs and she said, see you're alive. You're not poisoned. And from then on I never worried about being poisoned again. But I sure was majorly a free of my ground and whipped its hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, if my son would develop something like that, because he does not like to eat unless it's pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does have a hard time heat.
Speaker 1: He trusts me pretty good though. I talked him into limes and hob and arrow sauce.
Speaker 2: I think he yeah, right, yeah, I'm never gonna eat again. My dad gives me you have an aro sauce. But you know, I think what's really interesting about your son is I think a lot of it is just he just doesn't like a lot of things. He just doesn't feel like eating. He's hungry. Yeah, a simple guy like Yeah, anyway, that's my story of weirdness. You could call that. I mean, there's a name for that phobia. It's called toxophobia, the fear of being poisoned, and I had that at four years old.
Speaker 1: Toxophobia reminds me of one in a similar way. It seems like something a little kid would come up with, or like just a lack of trust or paranoia in your life. Have you ever heard of impostor syndrome? Impostor syndrome or also called cap Grass syndrome, named after the guy who.
Speaker 2: Discovered it or made it famous.
Speaker 1: I think he was the first one that got it diagnosed on the books or whatever, or Capgrass delusion, And basically this is the the the thought that everybody close to you has been replaced with somebody an impostor, oh like a perfect toppelganger.
Speaker 2: Like the movie The Thing. The Thing takes over the shapes of people, and then it kills more people until they're.
Speaker 1: Finally somebody in this camp and what he appears to be right now that maybe one or two of us.
Speaker 2: By spring, it could be all of us. So how do we know who's human?
Speaker 3: If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me?
Speaker 2: Kind of?
Speaker 1: But I think less sinister, Oh so like I would just think for some reason, you're not my dad anymore. You're a guy who's stepped in and pretending to.
Speaker 2: Be oh like the leg Starfighter. You remember that movie reading Starfighter.
Speaker 3: You have been recruited by the star League to defend the Frontier against Zor and the clot an arm monitor getting ready prepare for.
Speaker 2: Last the last star Fighter. The guy gets a clone so that he can go off and fight the whatever armada.
Speaker 3: Hey, you look like me, of course I do.
Speaker 1: I'm the Beaty Unit.
Speaker 2: What the hell's a beaty here?
Speaker 3: Baby?
Speaker 1: Unit is simuloid, an exact duplicate of you, woman, not as loud.
Speaker 2: And then the clone stays on Earth and tries to make out with his girlfriend because it's he's really a clone. He's not the real boyfriend. He's like a robot. Nope, nope, not like that. Okay, great movie, Last Star Party, You're gonna have to watch it all.
Speaker 1: But this syndrome, it's really low number of people have this, but it's like a paranoia type thing, and it reminds me of like, you know, you see somebody who just can't trust anybody, you know, in like a movie, or you know, like a homeless person. He just you know, hears voices. And it seems like it closely related to like schizophrenia or people who have epilepsy or so it's.
Speaker 2: A true like psychological disword.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a psychological disorder. But man, isn't that a weird one? Is it's similar to the poison thing where you just have this lack of trust, right, And I wonder if it stems from just hoping and relying on the hope that people in your life won't betray you or they are who they are in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like maybe there's like a deep seated distrust and so that distrust manifests and like, well, the person I love would never do something bad to me, but I still have this distress. So I got to project that onto something else. This is not my real dad or mom, This is an imposter something like that. Yeah, so that's like an uncommon one. You know, there are so many things that are really common. Let's jump into some of the really common ones, because I think that that'll make us all feel a little bit better, and then we'll go into the weirder and more strange things. But I mean, some of the most common phobias that are out there are like, you know, the fear of the dark. How many people have are afraid of the dark. In fact, there's a video game called Afraid of the Dark. It's a classic video game. But oh no, that was Alone in the Dark, Lone in the Dark, Alone in the Dark. That was a great game. It was like one of the first three D what was it was two point five D video game. Yeah, it's really good. But you'd play this character and you would have to navigate these rooms. The rooms were static, but your character was like this really primitive three D polygonal shape that would go through the environments and look at things. Yeah, it's creepy polygons. Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm using game development speech. Polygons, polygonal polygamy and no, no, no, not polygamy. But anyway, so, yeah, the technical term for that is nickto phobia. Yeah, like nickto must be night and phobia must be fear of So nicktophobia and oh, I'm just gonna say. Some of the people who have.
Speaker 1: That, well, one of the most famous is Cano Reeves. Yeah, he John Wick's scared of the dark.
Speaker 2: Scared of the dark. Well, and you know, there's been interviews with him where he talks about it. It might just be he's afraid of dying, which is the ultimate dark. But yeah, so I need nicktophobia. What are you going to say?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I think that stems from a perfectly normal place. Yeah, if so, In like an evolutionary standpoint, people growing up, they didn't have fire, they didn't have light like we have now, and they were never able to see in the dark. And that's when all the bad things come out. That's a few irons and the coyotes, the wolves, the alligators, whatever, they come out at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's your blind to enemies or things that could destroy you, no wonder you're afraid of them. That.
Speaker 1: Plus, you know, if I have to go check the doors in the middle of the night because my wife hears something and it's dark and I step on the legos, you know, I'm afraid of the dark now because I'm.
Speaker 2: Probably gonna step on step a lego or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate on that, you know what I mean. It's not good.
Speaker 2: That's not good.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the worst to step in at night.
Speaker 2: Poop dog poop that I've done that a couple of times. We got you know, Tilly sometimes when it's raining, she doesn't want to go outside, she's too lazy or doesn't want to get wet, and so she'll poop somewhere kind of right in the middle of the floor. And then so you know, you're stumbling out, you don't have your glasses on, everything's bloring. You come out to like, you know, go to the bathroom or whatever, and then all of a sudden you stick your foot in this smushy thing. And the worst part is after you do it, you got to go in and wash your foot, and then you're awake, and then you're waking foot in cold water because you couldn't wait for the warm water travel across the house, and then she knows she's in trouble, so she hides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't keep a dog, does that?
Speaker 2: No, And then by the morning she's so in there whim bringing and cute that you feel bad for so you give retreat. So it's almost like you're.
Speaker 1: Rewarding before you throw her out on.
Speaker 2: No, you reward for pooping on the floor. Is what you're doing.
Speaker 1: That's bad.
Speaker 2: I know it is bad, but anyway, Okay.
Speaker 1: If I have big dog, big bladder, big dog.
Speaker 2: But anyway, and those playing are drinking game, have a drink on me.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I wus so like you never walk out of your room step on an ice cube, you know, like how do you do their fez? This is what I'm thinking of. Oh yeah, I would like just drop an ice cube like it melted a little bit and then it snuck out of there and you'd walk by in the middle night. You just step maybe got your sock on, and it just like like an ice cuber. Just the water is icy cold water, and you're just like, what this isn't supposed to happen.
Speaker 2: Ye see, Now this could be a phobia. It's called the fear of stepping in wet spots. I so called a phobia, fold a phobia. I don't know what I'm what you said, Well, okay, So another common type of phobia that people have would be the fear of heights. Yeah, a lot of people have fear of heights.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't have that growing up. I was a gymnast man. I was always doing crazy things with heights and stuff. But I think I'm okay with heights. It's when I'm with other people that I get, you know, the fear of heights, which is also called.
Speaker 1: Acrophobia, acrophobia acrobat phobia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I get phobia acrophobia when I'm with somebody like you and we're walking up to the edge of a canyon and you're walking right up to the edge. It's not for me because I know I'm not stupid. I'm gonna stop.
Speaker 1: He's stupid.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Stupid, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Or when we took your mom to the Grand Canyon and you just go marching up there without a care in the world, right to the edge, and I'm like, you are six inches from death. Why would you do that? Just stay away from the edge, because I know you're a klutz. Just stay away from the edge. You don't have catlike reflexes like me. Yeah, you know, you know that's the thoughts that's going through my head. So yeah. Anyway, the fear of heights, that's a real common thing, it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's another one of those things is natural. I mean, there are people who can't walk up to a cliffage. Maybe they got vertigo. Then they get up there, look down and yet there over. But for me, it's like, I mean, I'll get up to a foot without feeling weird. Anything past a foot I'm getting real cautious.
Speaker 2: But a foot, yeah, unless you're gonna trip on a shoelacer or something I don't.
Speaker 1: Do, like a freaking marathon, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Running distance stop. No, Well, okay, one other thing I'm gonna say about that. You know, if other people that I don't care about go up to the edge of something, I don't get acrophobia. It's only the people I love and care about when they get up close to that's when I get asked.
Speaker 1: That's like a protective thing.
Speaker 2: And you know, it actually ties into something that I would consider kind of an O C D thing that I'm gonna tell later when we get into some more serious stuff that I used to have concerning my sister and heights. But well, i'll save that.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Yeah, you know what that makes me think of is like, there's the Grand Canyon. Yeah, there's an insane amount of deaths and injuries that people fallen. Yeah, they too close for that perfect photo op or whatever, and then.
Speaker 2: Or they're playing with their phone and walk right over the edge. Yeah, yeah for sure. And then you know, why would you ever take your kids there? Right unless they're on like some leash. I would never take my kid Ali to the Grand Canyon and let them wander around, not as a young kid, No, because they don't have guardrails on those trails. So if you let them go and they walk too close to the edge and they trip and fall like they always do at home.
Speaker 1: It could fall on a freaking hair on the ground.
Speaker 2: They're gone. Yeah, that's you know, that's nightmare stuff for me. I don't even like thinking about. Let's move on to so one thing I was going to say about acrophobia is that there are a lot of famous people who have acrophobia, and some of them are surprising, like Sylvester Stallone. I don't know if he had it, but Sylvester Stallone had acrophobia alone. Sylvester Stallone, you know, and he did like Cliffhanger. He did a lot of movies where he's an action hero and hanging. Like even in Rambo he jumps off that cliff into a tree hanglicopter. Yes, that guy, but yeah, supposedly he has acrophobia. Matt Damon another guy who's very famous for his movies. And then Sheryl Crow also has fear of heights. So anyway, there's a lot of people in that club. If you have acrophobia, you're not alone. Okay, So another one. Let's talk about the fear of water hydrophobia. So a lot of people are afraid of the water. Some people are afraid of water for multiple things. Some people don't like to even get in the shower because they're so afraid of water. It's like this weird sensation thing other people are afraid of, like what's under the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to kind of have that.
Speaker 2: A lot of people, I mean people that go out in the ocean and they dump in the ocean and they swim along the surface and that's big fun. Well, another classification of people would never in hell be caught out in the water because there are sea monsters under there.
Speaker 1: I've been to the ocean once. Well I've been to like in the ocean on the ocean in a boat, you know once. That's not two sharks. Yeah right, I'm not going out there.
Speaker 2: Well, just they got those urchins that one sting would kill you one sting urchins they're jellyfish, but yeah, you know, one thing would kill you. See snakes, most venomous snakes in the world are in the ocean.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're like right up by the top.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying I'm just went out there. There's like giant squids. They know that things is right. There's there's like like these giant fish creatures. It is terrifying. You don't know. You're up there in ignorance and blood. You know, up there on the surface, but underneath is a swordfish, a million ways to die fish, little after weapon. So I can understand hydrophobia. I don't have it. I don't if I go swimm into whatever. I might think, Oh, I hope there's not a shark under here, but I don't. I don't worry about it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 1: I have a weird one where we're when we're waiting across the river.
Speaker 2: We do that regularly.
Speaker 1: I always wear those sandals. I'm afraid of stepping on like an old fish hook. Oh yeah, and then like getting it caught on a rock and it's just like ripping into my skin and the water is cold and I don't feel it. And then I ripped a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of Well, I've actually had a weird happen I've stepped on the fish hook. Didn't spear me, fortunately, but I got the fishing line wrapped around my big toe and it was stuck in there. And then when I got over, I was dragging, which was stupid if I you know, thinking about it. When I finally got to this shore, I was dragging this all these tangled fish line, and sure enough there was like a treble hook with like a lure. Yeah. If I would have stepped on it wrong, that would have gone right to my foot. Yeah, that's a whole different phobia though.
Speaker 1: You know what hydrophobia reminds me of what prair to be impressed. Do you remember that play they did in Twin Falls Captain knows traveling Zoo, Yes, I do, he says, my name is Sham. I am in charge of gathering the animals by finding them and placing as classifieds in person Also, I found the pack up packets and also hydrophobic groups that got a snake, anaerobic germs, anaerobic germs. Yeah, my name is Sham.
Speaker 2: I am in charge of gathering the animals. We're finding them by placing ads and classifieds and personals. We found the packup packing Dunson. Also, hydrophobic ones have got a snake that kindess worms. And here's some anaerobic germs erroman Yeah, shout out to General Montana's if you ever listen to this podcast, there you go. Yeah, fun time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's a peak of my childhood messed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So those are those are really common. There's a bunch more. I mean that we could go on with common things, but they're not as fun as when you get into the more strange phobias that people have or quirks that people have. I thought it would be fun to go in a few of those. One of those fears which your mom has, it's a phobia. It's called the fear of making decisions. It's called decide of phobia.
Speaker 1: I think every woman has that.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of women do.
Speaker 1: Not sexist, but yes, I've asked a woman where to eat.
Speaker 2: I'm sexy, I'm the sexiest man.
Speaker 1: I can't say that in these days. Oh yeah, no, i'm sexiest, I said sexiest. No, I said, I'm sexiest man.
Speaker 2: Alive and always Yeah, okay, you don't agree, Okay, So anyway, decide to phobia. So, yeah, your mom does not like to be the one that has to make the final decision in case it's wrong. She always wants to, like, you know, give that responsibility to somebody else, so she doesn't take full responsibility when ownership goes south. Yeah okay. Another one is the fear of beards. So I thought this is funny. Yeah, if anybody has the fear of beards right now or what do they call it? Paganophobiaanophobia? If they have paganaphobia, they are screwed right now, because I'd say ninety percent of all males and some females have beards right now, and some females.
Speaker 1: This is the greatest show. Yeah, that's kind of why I shaved my beard off for a while.
Speaker 2: You were had I had a beard.
Speaker 1: No, just I had a phobia looking like a hipster, and in doing that, I was kind of a hipster.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you just gotta be yourself, man, be true to yourself. What's that to thine own self? Be true to thine.
Speaker 1: Own set true. I don't know that. I don't listen to things that have the word thine in it. All right, going to eat? Ok, let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Okay, another uh, not so common phobia. Let's talk about the fear of felines, the fear of cats.
Speaker 1: Thatt's are gross.
Speaker 2: Some people are terrified of cats.
Speaker 1: My wife she hates them. She hisses at him. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, they're so unpredictable. Yeah, who knows what they're going to do. They're just like crazy animals. Well some of them. You know, we can't we gotta be politically correct. We can't classify them all together.
Speaker 1: I got a funny cat story. Okay, speaking of unpredictable animals. So I was like a week into my new job at an h VAC company. Huh, shout out to make fate seating and air Conditioning in Boise, Idaho, Sonya and Jamie, that's three seven five twenty seven seven d There you go. You can anyway, I'm sitting there and kind of waiting for the owner and everybody to get moving. I kind of got my butt on the bumper of the work fan, kind of leaning forward on my knees, you know, out of nowhere. I just have this terrible, stinging, scratching pain in my back and it was like, ah what pretty painful, and like a thud, something heavy hit my back and I stood up and something's clawn onto me and I reached back and I just kind of grab it and fling it away, you know, and then it was like right, cat, sweet little cat just decided to kind of jump down on me, and then it probably started falling and grabbed me. But then it hurt, and then I grabbed it and flinged it.
Speaker 2: You know, that would be terrifying.
Speaker 1: It was out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Well, you have something in common with Napoleon Bonaparte. Really, Yeah. He is a very famous person who had a laura phobia, a Laura phobia, a Laura phobia. Yeah, so Napoleon Bonaparte, and you had a lauraphobia.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have.
Speaker 2: Only when they jump on you without them.
Speaker 1: But when they jump on you randomly, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a weird one. So another one Alfred Hitchcock. He had a fear of eggs, like he thought they were gross. He thought people who ate them were gross. It was disgusting. How could this white when you crack it open and the yellow pussy like stuff squirts out, how could that be anything good? And that was called ovophobia like ovarian overy ovo phobia, So Alfred Hitchcock had that. Another famous phobia person is Nicole Kidman, who had pita opterophobia.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid of butterfly bread butterflies.
Speaker 2: She had an experience that she talks about when she was a kid that she would walk home and this is in Australia, and when she get to the gate of her house, often on the gate was a butterfly and it terrified her and so she would walk way out of her way or climb over the fence to avoid having to come into confrontation with a butterfly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it could have been like huge with things. I don't know, but whatever, it was, Yeah, she didn't want to want to experience the butterflies in Australia.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be surprised if there's some like poisonous butterfly.
Speaker 2: Another one is the fear of clowns. Guess who has a fear of clowns or otherwise known as calbraphobia. Who's that Johnny Depp?
Speaker 1: He says a crucial thing. You're saying if a man comes in to him, let's go amazing, that makes him skate of him.
Speaker 2: That's really good, this mumble and words like yeah, well Johnny Depp has a lot of problems right now if you follow any kind of news or you know, celebrity stories. But anyway, poor Johnny, We're we're praying for you, man. But anyway, he has a fear of clowns. And and so one of the ones that I thought was really funny, well it's not even funny. What is funny because it's so weird. It's like a paradox. Right, So there is a phobia of having a phobia. Whoa So, so you're worried that you are that you have a phobia, and it gives you a phobia, and it's called phobo phobia, phoo phobia, it's a real thing. Foot Yeah. I don't know if I have a phobophobia or not. I know I have some phobias.
Speaker 1: I can kind of understand that because, like people like me, you're pretty judgmental of the way people act and things that they do. And I could understand being afraid of being seen as the person who's afraid of something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So it's that kind of thing. So what's weird And we talked about this a little bit when we first started talking on the subject, is that a lot of these phobias or quirks can give way when they become extreme to obsessive compulsive disorders or mental disorders. So a lot of these things are connected because if say, you're afraid of the dark, and that causes you to do something that is obsessive compulsive because you don't want to be in the dark. So maybe you have to strap yourself with twenty four hundred battery powered LEDs to go outside when it's dark. I mean, that's an obsessive compulsive disorder that's actually triggered by your fear of the dark. So I mean these things are all kind of married together. So like my fear of maybe going into the bathroom at the kindergarten because I was afraid there was poison on the wall in the form of mold was probably an OCD behavior, but it was triggered by my fear of toxophobia. So these things kind of all kind of gelled together. So one of the common phobias that people have, and some of them are very benign, they're just people are aware of it and other people are extreme, is germaphobia, and germophobes are all ovia. It's also called.
Speaker 1: Germophobia is all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't even mean to I'm so clever. But it's also called miso phobia, which is different than your miso phonia. Phobia and phonia are different things, and they're spelled a little different. One is miso that's the fear of chewing sounds, and then the other one is mysophobia, which is being a germophobe, so you're afraid you're gonna get some kind of disease.
Speaker 1: Which is pretty much everybody in today's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, right now with COVID nineteen, everybody is becoming or has already become a germophobe or a virophobe seems to be. Yeah, we could call it a virophobia. Virophobe, Yeah, could be. But anyway, whatever your thoughts are on that, that's a different subject. We're not going to go there. We're going to avoid that political quagmire and we're just gonna like truck right on. Yeah. Germophobia. So a lot of famous people are germophobes, a lot of non famous people are germophobes. A lot of you listening might be to some degree or another a germophobe.
Speaker 1: Isn't the guy from like deal or no Deal or oh Howie Mendel, Let's make a deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, Howie Mandel is a famous germophobe. He also does America's Got Talent? Okay, Yeah, and he is very well known as somebody who does not like to be touched or to touch people. Is it him or it might even Donald Trump, because Donald Trump as far as his desire to shake hands, he doesn't like shaking hands. And somebody calls it a human Petri dish, which is your hand when you shake Yeah, yeah, and that might be Howie Mandel. I know the other guy, the famous radio announcer shock Jock Howard Stern, Howard Stern, he's a germophobe.
Speaker 1: Howard Mendel, Howie Howie Mandel, and Howard Stern.
Speaker 2: Howard Stern, they're both germophobes. It must be something to do with Howard how I don't know, but okay, I'm gonna throw one more in there, Okay, okay, as far as extreme germophobes go. And he's also a how No. Howard Hughes. Now, Howard Hughes is a really famous million billionaire guy from like the nineteen fifties. So this guy for the name, yeah, I mean he he started Hughes air West. He had an airline and then he bought tea. I mean, this guy, he's done a lot of things. He was an engineer, he designed airplanes, did all kinds of crazy stuff. I mean he said speed records and airplanes. And he crashed in an airplane. And he had this wild.
Speaker 3: Life as its owner, backer, builder, and pilot. Howard Hughes brings the plane in from its test flight or a landing at the dangerous speed of seventy five miles an hour. It's only nineteen thirty five, yet millionaire sportsman Howard Hughes has flown over three hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 2: He made movies, he bought a movie studio. He was famous, he'd actually won like oscars. This guy had like the ideal life. He was a playboy. He slept with all kinds of Hollywood starlets, and he at the end of World War Two and into the Cold War, there was a Russian submarine that sunk and they couldn't locate The Russians can locate it. Well, the CIA used some sophisticated devices at that time, and they located the submarine and they basically commissioned Howard Hughes to be affront for the CIA to develop this this ship that was going to go out, and they actually were able to recover most of this sunken submarine and gave us all kinds of insight into their technology and stuff. So he did a lot of crazy things. He was involved with, like these super secret spook stuff, and I mean he was like every man's ideal man, right. But what Godham wasn't the fear of any of that stuff that he did. It was the fear of being contaminated by germs crazy, and he got so extreme that like in the seventies, he'd moved all over the place, all over the world. He would basically go into like a luxury suite in a hotel. He would have his help there. They would basically strip the place of anything that could be contamped dominated. He would lay on the bed naked at night so that he could not touch anything that would contaminate him. He quit like brushing his teeth out of fear that he would bringing germs and stuff into his mouth. Yeah, he didn't trim his nails or his toenails. He would put tissue boxes on his feet and walk around so he didn't touch the floor. I mean, he went off the deep end. He wasn't even recognizable from that playboy guy when he was at his heyday as this millionaire. But when he died, he weighed ninety pounds. He was on a flight coming back to the United States to try to help him, and apparently because he was also addicted to different drugs, he his kidney shut down and he died. He weighed ninety pounds. Crazy, Yeah, I mean, it's weird, weird story. So we have the trifecta of Howards that have germophobia.
Speaker 1: Three Howards walk into a bar. They all washed their hands, then jeez.
Speaker 2: That's that was bad though.
Speaker 1: That was bad, Okay.
Speaker 2: Another one that was famous for germophobes was Nicola Tesla. Tesla, Now Tesla was a super genius. He was a I think he was from Serbia, right. Originally he had studied engineering and stuff, and he was in always conflict with Thomas Edison. As you know, they're trying to get all of the electric stuff going in the world.
Speaker 1: There was like a race going for AC and DC power, which one's more efficient and safer and.
Speaker 2: Right, And Nicola was the AC guy and Edison was the DC guy. But anyway, they tore the sheets and they had altercations. But Nicola Tesla was kind of weird. He had germophobia and another phobia which was strange, and maybe it was because he messed around with electricity, but it was his fear of women's jewelry. Yeah, he had a fear of women's jewelry. It was called cosmemophobia.
Speaker 1: Let's say that again, cosmemophobia cosmemophi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was afraid of women's jewelry, especially the big, heavy metal jewelry. And maybe it was because it was conductive and he was afraid he was going to get electrocuted. But yeah, this guy, they said he was so anal about you know, his hygiene that he would wash his hands multiple multiple times. They said he'd go through seventeen towels in one day. Wow to you know, basically get rid of that phobia or two offset it now. So these are when they get that extreme, those things basically become obsessive compulsive disorders, right, And there are a lot of those things around that are just really really strange.
Speaker 1: I wonder where the fear of women's jewelry comes from. Not men's jewelry, yeah, yeah, I'm imagining not a lot of guys wore jewelry back then, but like rings and watches. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe maybe he got picked up and the lady had a broach and had a pin he got poked.
Speaker 1: When he was a kid, or scared him from there, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or you know, you hug him and they shit to you know, hug you up close and you're young and elementary, squack his head on, mack your head into a brooch, or Ryanstone gets stuck in your nose.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it could be Ryanstone. Well, okay, not what they put on like cowboy pants, maybe it was a little bit of turquoise.
Speaker 2: I don't know something in a brooch or a necklace. I mean, I don't know something that's a weird one. It is a weird one.
Speaker 1: I like to conductor metaphor. I think of that a lot as a welder. You know, when I'm using like high frequency AC, it'll like kind of every once in a while, it's just like maybe you gotta it'll like get you. It's just like it. And I don't know what does it through my glove. I think I'm just super conducted.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it's a nerve problem.
Speaker 1: Nerve problem. Yeah, yeah, my nerves freak out when they get hit with electricity.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. So do you have anything that you want to share. I've been bringing these things out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had like a full I know.
Speaker 2: I'm prepared, man, That's what happens when you get older, you get organized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you put it in the tunnel. Must be nice. No kids running around?
Speaker 2: What do you mean you're running around?
Speaker 1: I'm not running around your house.
Speaker 2: We are tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm not throwing Eggi's on the floor in the morning.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 1: Crying about a bottle in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Speaking of a bottle beer break. Oh that was a good beer as what you think?
Speaker 3: That's good?
Speaker 1: I got it right here.
Speaker 2: I like beer breaks. Beer breaks are good.
Speaker 1: You know, speaking of kind of maybe our next topic. One thing that really bothers me is when you pour a beer into a glass like this, and the foam the head or whatever on the beer makes like those what do you call that dirty kind.
Speaker 2: Of have those spots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has like a residue that that stays the foam kind of lingers and stays on the on the top of the glass, and it creates like a weird kind of texture, Yeah, textured pattern. That bothers me. So I try to always drink my beer in like a.
Speaker 2: Circle and kind of rents those down.
Speaker 1: As you go and like tip them so that it kind of race is the Yeah. I don't know why I don't like it. It doesn't have anything to do.
Speaker 2: I have the same kind of thing I do, you know which kind of brings us to that. A lot of times phobias and quirks can kind of lead or are married to a type of OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder.
Speaker 1: Right, you brought that up earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's something we should talk about because it is highly prevalent in the types of weird phobias and quirks that we're moving towards. It's something that happens when it gets really noticeable for other people. Then you're on the fringe of being obsessive compulsive about that, right, And it's not necessarily a laughing matter, because it's quite serious. For a lot of people, these disorders can totally ruin their lives. But at the same time, some of these things are kind of humorous, and we try to keep a light hearted kind of atmosphere on most of this discussion. I think from here on out, when we start talking about the more severe forms of OCD and the married phobias that go with it, it's a little more sobering, unlike our beer so anyway, So, obsessive compulsive disorders are basically anything that jumps into your mind. It could be an image or a thought, or a thing that kind of makes you have a compulsive need to take care of it. Yeah, it could be something that you're afraid of, or it could be something that you feel like you need to do. It could be an image, it could be all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: So, like on a basic level, maybe you feel like somebody's watching you, so you feel like you need to look over your shoulder constantly, but you never there's anybody there, right, kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So somebody feels like if they're walking down the road that they have to make sure they count the number of lines or cracks in the sidewalk, and then at the end of a certain number, they have to like take a step backwards, or perhaps they have to jump the last crack, or maybe have to step on the last crack. It could be if you step on one crack that you need to make sure you step on another crack with your other foot in a certain number of steps.
Speaker 1: And it's not like a game. It's not like a mental like I'm going to occupy my time right now. It's like a thing where you kind of you feel like you have to if you do, don't you kind of feel like you should go back and fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, a common one that some people have, like say the way that you hang toilet paper. Okay, do you put the paper over or do you put it under.
Speaker 1: The internet debate of the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that for some people is an obsessive, compulsive disorder. However mild, it's still a disorder because they will actually go in if it's wrong, and they will fix it because it bothers them if it's the wrong way, good for them. Yeah, So you know that's a little more mild. But there are extreme.
Speaker 1: Cases of this stuff like that Monk TV show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Monk, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Just couldn't function without like.
Speaker 2: Doing certain things. Yeah. And you know, you can get online and read some stories for some of these people. I feel a lot of empathy for a lot of them because even though it sounds funny, I was reading one article where a boyfriend of a lady who had obsessive compulsive disorder. She had to have everything straightened, had to have everything organized, couldn't have any mess on any counters, all the pins you know that were on the desk had to be lined up exactly right. And his big fun thing was to go out and kind of mess him up every time she'd turn her head and it would drive her crazy driver insane. And then he went to one of the appointments where she was meeting with a counselor to help her deal with her OCD, and there was a little kid there who obviously was out and who had a different form of OCD, and he was walking on the cracks and he had to like take walks around the cracks and then jump three times and then fall down to his knees then jump up, and he described this elaborate kind of thing, and the parent or the psychiatrist or whatever that was helping made him step away from his routine and he just fell sobbing on the floor because he couldn't complete his ritual, his obsessive compulsive ritual. The guy was so impacted by it. Every time he went home he made sure that he lined everything up neatly for her, because all of a sudden he realized the impact of not having.
Speaker 1: It right right wasn't a joke anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a really frustrating thing. It's odd and for some of this we might think it's a little humorous, but it's quite debilitating for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of times, on like a minor scale, when people do things subconsciously or involuntarily, it can be kind of funny. So like let's say you're at a dinner party and there's somebody at the table who you know, he'll take a drink and then he'll tap his fork on that plate and you're like, why does he keep clinking? And then isn't there, Like it becomes a thing, and he's like, I don't know, I just keep clinking my fork. I can't help.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of sinful episodes where they did weird things like that.
Speaker 1: I know, for like myself, Like we were just talking about, you know, workouts and going to the gym and stuff. If I lift some weights and I pick up the weight from the rack with my right arm, if I take it off with my right arm, again, I feel weird, like I've done more with my right arm, so I have to take it off with my left arm and then put it back on. You know, like my brain tells me I have to do the same amount no matter what, and it will kind of bother me a little bit if I don't. And sometimes I don't just to like, you know, be more time efficient, but it will linger in my head and then the rest of the day. Like if I have to, you know, tighten a long screw on a machine I'm working on, I use my left hand instead of my right and it'll linger.
Speaker 2: It'll like wait, wait a minute, I need to use my right or I need to offset that.
Speaker 1: I need to take care of the fact that I lifted the weight off the rack twice with my right arm.
Speaker 2: I need some equilibrium get in this. Yeah, it's really weird, you know. That's one of the really common ocds is that, Okay, if I touch something with my right fingertip, then I need to touch it with the left fingertip. It's like they need to equalize things, or if they put something on the right side, they need to do something on the left side as well. And sometimes even when you're driving, people will say, oh, I'm driving too much in the right lane. I need to drive now in the left lane.
Speaker 1: Oh, and they'll make a lane change just yeah, satisfy that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so that they get satisfied. Or some will be so extreme it's like, Okay, I'm going to drive two miles in the right lane, two miles in the left lane, and they'll they'll have a pattern or a sequence of letters or numbers that they have to do. It's really really weird. There's no controlling it. It's in people that are doing it realize that it's strange. The ramifications of not doing what they feel like they need to do is way worse than just going ahead and basically surrendering to the urge.
Speaker 1: As far as like anxiety goes. Yeah, crazy, yeah, so crazy. So now imagine you've got that desire, you've got that OCD to do something, and imagine if that something is something bad. So that's where things get really really hard and difficult. Because if you're fixated on something, you can fixate on numbers or something, and that's kind of innocuous. But what if you have a fixation on something visual, some kind of imagery or thought that's in your brain of something you must do and that whatever it is is bad. That sounds like a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is. It's horrific for those people. And sometimes it's something they would never do, but they can't get the image out of their head. Yeah. So OCD can be something that is totally something that's confined within your mind. It's a it's a vision, it's an image of something, and that's really really hard for people. There are cases where like people are afraid that they are going to cheat yes OK, or they're going to not be able to say no to have in some kind of relationship with another sexual relationship even though they never would in real life. They have that phobia and it leads to an obsessive compulsive disorder where they have to do extreme things to try to avoid that situation. Or maybe those images are so strong they don't even know if they're true or fault anymore. But like this has resulted in people like creating chastity belts for themselves so that they would know that in giving somebody else the key, so that they would know that they could not, you know, cheat or fulfill that image in their mind that's something and it doesn't you know what if it's it could be an image of like that you steal something even though you never would. In your mind, you're afraid if you go into a certain store, you're going to steal something.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that mean an answer to They're like, why'd you steal it?
Speaker 2: I don't know, well, you know, and a lot of people like, okay, you can get into kleptomania, which is an their thing, and and that's this is all marry. This is all kind of like all wrapped together. It's pretty disheartening, I'm sure for people that are suffering for the other people they just think people are crazy and weird. You go down this path, it gets weirder and weirder. One of the weirdest things that I ran across is this thing called the Pika disorder. Pika, Yeah, pika, p I c a maybe they call it, maybe they pronounce it pika, but I think it's looks like a pika and it's a Basically, it's a psychological eating disorder. What differentiates this from other disorders like blameia or anorexia is that this disorder is found in people who have an inexplicable need to eat something that has no nutritional value.
Speaker 1: Like a stool or a chair.
Speaker 2: It could be anything. Wow. So some of the more common ones are people will eat mud.
Speaker 1: Oh, and that means they're anemic.
Speaker 2: That would not be pika. That would be you know, some.
Speaker 1: Kind of nutritional deficit, right, but Pike.
Speaker 2: Would be No, I need to eat mud for some reason other than nutritional value. It's caused by something else. And so okay, So MUD's one thing that okay, yeah, maybe you need more. I don't know what iron in your diet or something. But what if it's something like I need to eat ice no nutritional value, but I mean I have the compulsion I need to go eat ice. And I'm not talking about getting ice cube. I'm talking about I'm going to go to the lake, a frozen lake and lay out there and gnaw on the ice. Or I'm going to buy a block of ice and I just got to go and eat it. And you know, so it's something that they feel like they have to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's I think that's as associated with anemia too.
Speaker 2: It's a little weirder. I know my mom who had cancer. One of the side effects of that was she would always chew on ice when she was going through cancer treatments. But beyond that, what if the thing that you're eating is something like metal, right, or what if you start eating a wall? So yeah, one a guy.
Speaker 1: Who goes fantousy like ate a whole airplane. Yeah, that would be in Japan or somehow.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear or read about that, but yeah, that's that's a really strange one. I did read a story about a gal who I think she was in Africa, South Africa, that started to eat. She could not stop herself. She was a young schoolgirl. She started eating the walls and she ate basically one of the walls out of her house, and she got parasites, she got all kinds of illnesses, she had teeth problems, stuff because she couldn't stop. So, yeah, that would be one. Another thing that people have been known to do is eat chalk.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds like I know, that sounds horrible.
Speaker 2: Or they pull out their hair and eat their hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that reminds me of one that I was reading. Is just the need to feel like you need to pull.
Speaker 2: Out your hair, like a some kind of disorder.
Speaker 1: Disorder I like we mentioned earlier, I made like a note in my phone and for some reason, my phone does not save notes.
Speaker 2: I've heard that excuse before. I know, I don't know I have. That's what I'm saying. That's older guys, we got it going on. We're organized.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, I mean it must be nice to work from home.
Speaker 2: Another thing that they've been known to eat is you know, like needles, oh and stuff like that, some really weird stuff. I mean, even eating their own feces. I mean it's it's a really strange condition. And this is way out there, but this is like a need that is driven by something psychologically in their mind that they have to obey. Or they will be miserable.
Speaker 1: I kind of can relate in a very minor way. Okay, when we go and eat soups together that all you can eat sushi plays we love so very very much.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I have the need to eat as much as life as possible. I think that's called I feel like I'm gonna die when I leave and I get cramps because I think the carbohydrates are something from all the rice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get cramps in.
Speaker 1: My legs and I did sick to my stomach, locks up and stuff.
Speaker 2: You might have diabetes, dude, well.
Speaker 1: And nobody should consume eighty dollars worth of sushi in twenty minutes, healthy.
Speaker 2: Of white rice, yes, and all kinds of weird syrups.
Speaker 1: It might just be. It might be cramps in my legs from supporting my excess body weight from eating the sushi. It was good. It was bad, baby, so good sushi.
Speaker 2: Okay. One thing that's really weird about obsessive compulsive disord is I think everybody has some level of OCD on something. I think it's really rare to find somebody who hasn't struggled with some kind of OCD behavior. It doesn't have to be extreme.
Speaker 1: But all this happened as minor is leaving the house to get to work on a time that ends in a five or a zero. You know, like you better leave by five o'clock or five fifteen instead of you know, five twelve exactly.
Speaker 2: Or you know, people have like we talked about the toilet paper over under, there's also things like how do you stack the dishwasher. Some people are very OCD about that. That's why it's kind of become this kind of slang for people that are anal. You know, they're like, oh, they're really anal about that, But it's really, you know, a mild form of OCD. I'd like to be in control. I like to drive, I'd like to organize things a certain way. If Roxanne stacks the dishwasher wrong, I'll fit it, you know, and for me, I think of it. No, it's not OCD, it's logic. Yeah, it will clean so much better if it's in this position, or we can stack so much more if it's in this position.
Speaker 1: So when I was in high school, you and I put together this car, a Volkswagen Bug.
Speaker 2: Yes, which we should have on ours. Yeah, we should show pictures that we should be cut it on a.
Speaker 1: Strange mobile or something.
Speaker 2: A strange bug. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, when I was in high school, you and I built this car together or put it together and kind of modified it. And it's a kind of a Baja style bug. But it's done up really nice, I think. But you used to, you know, be like, hey, why don't you scrape on this? And then you know, I'll work on this thing over here, And then I'd be like, okay, I'll clean up this whatever motor mount. It's like a stupid thing. I just got to scrap the paint off of it or something. You come back pick no, no, no, don't do it that way, and then you do it yourself. I'd be like, Okay, I know I.
Speaker 2: Was horrible, but I got better if you as we went along the process.
Speaker 1: But what I was going to say is I understand exactly how you felt.
Speaker 2: Your mom can bear testimony to this, because I am so awful. I mean, there are things I like to do a certain way and when they're not done that way, and a lot of times it's because of efficiency. Like your mom has a way of like deciding that she's going to use a tool to do something that it was not designed to do, like driving a nail with the back end of a knife from our.
Speaker 1: Silverware drawer, use a screwdriver.
Speaker 2: It's it's like, why just get a hammer? And so, you know, a lot of times the things that drive her crazy about doing small projects is that she doesn't use the right tool. Yep. And for me, it's like, get the right tool.
Speaker 1: It's like, uh yeah, And I think that comes from your you know, you you're a handyman. Yeah, you can build things. You can you know, you have the basic knowledge of construction and geometry stuff like that. You know, like mom has that tiny hammer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like, why did you drive a nail?
Speaker 1: That damn thing?
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 1: That's like it's like something you put in a kid's toy box.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people who have a different approach to doing things that for you is like extremely logical and extremely normal and efficient. To see them try to do the same thing with something that is not efficient is well frustrating. I totally get it. But anyway, so that's kind of a form of OCD. And I don't think that OCD necessarily happens consistently through your life. I think it Ebbs and flows. Different things cause you to be obsessive about certain things, or you might be obsessed with certain things at certain times in your life, depending on you know, your age, your hormones, whatever. It changes as you get older and as you grow and experience new things in life. So I remember as a we would go down We lived in a place called Twin Falls, Idaho, and very close to Twin Falls was lo and Behold Falls and it was quite beautiful, but it was huge. They call it the Niagara of the West. I'll put a picture on the website some people can see. But when I was a kid, we would go down there, and it was always kind of fearful, you know, because you had to walk out there.
Speaker 1: And kind of your fear of heights thing we were talking about. Yeah, you know, you're worried about your loved ones, right, And they had these.
Speaker 2: Like viewpoints where you could walk down these steps and you'd overhang the cliff and you could look out over the whole falls, you know, and see everything. It was beautiful, but it was also quite scary, and as a young kid, I mean totally engraved itself into my mind. And because there was always this thunderous water going over. It was crazy and you were high up in the air. And so then my sister was born, and I remember she was fragile, and you know, she was a baby, and somehow, and I don't know if we went on a picnic down there, and I got in my mind an image of me grabbing my sister and throwing her over the lookout into the falls, and it would not leave my mind. This image of me doing something harmful to my little baby sister was stuck in there. I remember, as an older kid, you know, maybe when I was twelve, when she was like two or three, I didn't want to go to the falls with them as a family because I was afraid I would lose control. And somehow I would just pick her up and throw her over the lookout, and it was so weird. I have no idea why that image stuck in my head, but that's a typical kind of OCD thing where something sticks in your head and it affects your life. So for the next until she was too heavy for me to pick up and throw over the edge, I literally tried to avoid any time that I would be able to go to the falls where she was going to be there, just because of that image was so powerful stuck in my head.
Speaker 1: I can kind of relate to that when I was little. Remember, I've been talking to mom about this, but I just had thoughts of like me sitting there at dinner and grabbing my knife and just stabbing somebody. Yeah, and I'm like, and that's all I could think about, Not like I wanted to do it, but like what if my body?
Speaker 2: What is wrong with? What would happen if I did that?
Speaker 1: What would what would I say? What would I do? I wouldn't. I don't want to do that. It's this is like a weird thing. And you know, I'd say that like I don't know, I'm afraid of doing something bad. I don't want to do anything bad. Yeah, but that's the most terrible thing. And now that I'm older, I feel like that's translated from me doing something bad. But what if something bad happens?
Speaker 2: Somebody else does something bad.
Speaker 1: Or you know, like now and I have kids, what if he just falls and hit his head wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What would I do?
Speaker 2: I just thoughts that are so powerful in your head, and they totally recur. It's like they're on a repeat yep, And then you're a ultro of your kids, and it's probably some form of survival mechanism. I'm assuming, but you know, I'm super aware of where my kid is and I get mad if he goes in the road without mentioning it.
Speaker 1: I get mad if he walks backwards towards the road, because all it would take is for him to slip. It's uncontrollable. And with my kids, I'd rather be an irritating helicopter dad than have them fall on their head.
Speaker 2: They have something happen, but yeah, for sure, I don't think they would even fall.
Speaker 1: That's the weird part.
Speaker 2: And you can't protect them from all the times you're not there, when they're playing and you're not around. One of the things that this really goes to illustrate is that people that are supposedly normal have those same kind of OCD thoughts and in some small way are able to be sympathetic to people that are stuck in those routines, those thoughts that will not leave your mind. You know, what do you do with those thoughts? How do you deal with those things? I've had a lot of those thoughts where like I'll just have like a like maybe a dirty word or something I'll be like I've been in church before, sitting in a pew, and I'll have this terrible thought run through my head, and then I try not to think about it, and it runs through again. What is it?
Speaker 1: The more you try not to think of it, the more you think of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so is this some kind of possession? I mean I wondered about that myself. It's like, is this like some kind of evil that's trying to overtake me? Why do I have this thought as a little kid of throwing my sister over the fall? Is? What is this like the devil? You know? What's wrong with me? And as you get older, you know, you still wonder, And maybe it is. Maybe there's like this, if we could see behind the veil, maybe there's some big, ugly demon sitting there and shouting something horrible in your ear.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you speaking ugly. I picture him like a little guy, a little like like two and a half feet tall, but like normal proportions like willow.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, just grab the baby dum.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like a little squeaky voice. I think, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But Cupid and the diapers. Yeah, speaking of Cupid, what's coming up here in the near future. Valentine's Day. Yeah, I think we should talk about that.
Speaker 1: I wonder sometimes if that's where like we get our Ed Kemper's and our Ted Bundy's and our you know, those kind of people where they've had those voices and they start listening for some reason, not even listening to them because I think they know they're wrong, but they.
Speaker 2: Just can't disengage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just they just go for it. I don't know. I think everybody has voices in their right, whether it's you know, where it's like, maybe I should just kick that door shut because you know, I don't like that guy right now, I'm gonna kick that door shut. So they do it, you know, it ends up hurting somebody because they kicked the door and it hit them in the head or whatever. And then that's one little thing that happened. And then the next time, you know, maybe I should just knock knock the cup of speaking of my children, knocked the cup of goldfish that he gave me as a snack onto the floor, just to prove that I'm mad.
Speaker 2: Ha ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 1: And then it can kind of escalate and if you don't have the right you know, kind of nurturing and then in the right mindset of success and positivity, or.
Speaker 2: You have some kind of severe mental psychological issue.
Speaker 1: Then maybe it will progress is maybe it'll turn into maybe I should like this dumpster on fire, maybe I should cut that cat with a knife, or you know, some weird ted Bundy thing keeps going and it just escalates. So I wonder if that's Although everybody has those voices, it just comes down to their heart and their personality and.
Speaker 2: Their ability to ignore or to release the voice. I've thought about this because we're doing this podcast with my sister. What did I do there to kind of free myself of that image in my mind? Well, the honest truth was, at first, I avoided it for probably a few years when I was younger. It's like I just tried not to get in a situation where that it actually happened. Later, I started to recognize that this was a voice that was not real, It was silly and all these things, and I gave myself grace. It's like when I gave myself grace and oh yeah, that thought went through my mind. But you know what, I don't have to listen to it. And then as soon as I took the the power of it away by saying, oh, yeah, go ahead, run through my mind. I don't care have that stupid thought. It's stupid, but I'm not going to We'll move on. Yeah. Then all of a sudden, the power of it was gone. But if I fought it, if I tried to grab that thought and make it go away, it was impossible. But if I just let it run through and let it go, then it was like, huh, yeah, there it is again, stupid thing, and just let it go.
Speaker 1: I also wonder if it's a little form of like natural preservation for little things. So your sister at the time was the most helpless thing in your life, right, and the current, you know what's the biggest through gravity? You know, through the river is going to be the most helpless situation. I've been to Niagara Falls and I personally thought, what if I fell in there, I'd be screwed. Grab a rock, There's nothing to grab onto. It's fast moving water because these waterfalls are huge, and I remember no chance.
Speaker 2: I remember going down to those falls when I was a little kid. I would have to grab the rail and my head white noise going down there because it was so terrifying. I mean, the water noise was so loud, and it was so scary and so high, and I could see through the fences and the holes, and the fences you know, looks so big, like you have to fall through, and you know, I'd see people lift their kids up to look over the edge of the rail, and I just freaked me out.
Speaker 1: So that's probably where your anxiety came from.
Speaker 2: Part of is you were married that with the fear of this poor helpless new little baby sister.
Speaker 1: It's the ultimate helplessness of the situation. Those two things are I think you could make more and complete innocence.
Speaker 2: I get that. I think you're right, and I think you're on somebody. You could throw in more. You could go all Freudian on it, and you could say, oh yeah, maybe there's a jealousy issue with probably not being the youngest child, and now I've got this like little sister to compete with, so maybe I have some animosity or anger towards her that is manifest in this image that I know is wrong.
Speaker 1: Freud the sex guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything was the mom you know, the other guy young kind of took it out of that, but yeah, Yeah, anyway, I think all of these things are common in I would say if we were able to get people with a little bit of libation, we're able to free up their minds to and let their tongues talk freely, we would probably discover that a lot of people have these same kind of things that they've experienced.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'd agree.
Speaker 2: So do you know what the acronym of fear is in psychological circles?
Speaker 1: Flabbergasted, existential actions, regurgitated?
Speaker 2: No, but it's a good a good try try false evidence appearing real. Oh, I kind of like that. It doesn't always apply because there is a legitimate fear, butimate, yeah, dragon or an earthquake or something like that. You know, but a lot of times fear is unreal. So that false evidence appearing real is a good way to think about your fears and phobias that might have. Is this a real thing? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Kind of talks about all those things, you know, those fears of throwing somebody over the edge of a cliff. It's got dark real quick.
Speaker 2: It did, So let's get light.
Speaker 1: You want to get light, No, I want to get dark.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, go dark.
Speaker 1: So there's not much darker than like going to bed in the night time and then a shadow coming out of the darkness, like a shadow person.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're laying on your bed, the infamous shadow person.
Speaker 1: Move a single bone in your body.
Speaker 2: What does it have to do with like strange quirks?
Speaker 1: Well, sleep per hours, This is a real problem for people. You know, they wake up in the middle of the night. There's somewhere between sleep and wickedness, and they they feel like they can't move right. And then there's this thing that's reported constantly where people keep seeing and seeing these shadows or have the feeling of being watched, or have the feeling that something's with them, not just.
Speaker 2: Not just so that that could that sounds like an OCD moment or an obsessive compulsive disorder where they feel a different presence or they're afraid that there's a different presence somewhere in the room or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did a study on this shadow people phenomenon. We've talked about it before with Milliner's and you know, other things like there's actually a part of the brain hi the campus, the left temporal junction the TPJ for those of you who are up on the cranial linguo brain geography. Yeah, apparently a scientist named Olaf Blankly, he had done a study trying to figure out epilepsy seizures in this twenty three year old girl who had epilepsy obviously, and he was, you know, applying mild electric shocks to different parts of her brain. And when she hid this TPJ spot, she had this feeling of something that would almost mimic her body's motions, like outside of her body, like something that was just behind her.
Speaker 2: She perceived something being behind her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something that's with her and mimics her, but isn't her, So could almost like her consciousness was separated from herself. So there's almost two of her at this point. But she referred to this shadow being that she saw as a he, and he would lay just beneath her when she slept and sit just behind her when she sat down, weird, and he would you know, walk behind her or to the right or left of her as she went. And I think they even said.
Speaker 2: But he would mimic her motions and movements and stuff.
Speaker 1: And I think at one point in a study where they were doing like flashcards, this being this shadow person that even tried to take a card from her.
Speaker 2: So it had its own personality, So it wasn't just like a shadow of her, It actually had its own free Maybe.
Speaker 1: But if she was reaching to grab the card but perceived it as this other guy grabbing the card trying to get it from her, oh, something separated her consciousness from her physical body. And when you're in that state of sleep paralysis where you have your motor skills pretty limited or zeroed out, maybe these actions that you wish you could be taking, you know, getting up and going to the bathroom or checking the lock on the door, or turning off the hall light, maybe those thoughts get projected through this same kind of TPJ experience. I don't know if that's what you would call it, but that's what I'm gonna call it. Maybe that's kind of what's happening in these situations, and that's.
Speaker 2: The extreme OCD type situations. Well, you know, I don't know about OCD, but well, the brain is a powerful thing. So whether you're imagining a person behind you, underneath you, or whatever reaching for a card, you're seeing it in your mind or feeling it in your mind, that's identical to what you would experience if you're having extreme forms of OCD where you're seeing an image in your mind, or you're feeling something in your mind or experiencing that something is behind you in your mind. It's real.
Speaker 1: Kind of like when you see a spider and then you feel a spider on your body all of a sudden, you know, you're feel like there's period callies all over you.
Speaker 2: Or you can imagine there's a spider in your body and never feel it and you'd still get that creepy feeling. Yeah. Interesting, I know, we went kind of deep there for a minute. I mean that was like full on scientology or scientific scientific coology.
Speaker 1: We made Tom Cruise proud today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird. Yeah, I don't know, I don't know. This is a fascinating kind of subject. It kind of takes you down different rabbit holes. Even in this one podcast talking about a few of these things. We could spin these off into seven or eight different directions and have podcasts about each one of those exactly. It's so fun to do this podcast because you end up basically running into all these other show ideas.
Speaker 1: Yep, you kind of like get what you're talking about this thing or this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of cool. Well, I enjoyed this episode. I thought it was really fun.
Speaker 1: It was fun just to touch on a bunch of different stuff. We couldn't get too deep into things, but it's fun to kind of go through different you know, highlights of ticks and quirks.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we kind of we kind of went you know, we started light, and we went a little more heavy, and then we we kind of got deep and we got a little bit kind of scary and strange, and then we pulled back out and talked about the paranormal connection to shadow Man. I like that. That's what's so fun about this.
Speaker 1: Do you have a quirk like something that you see in people off the time it just bothers you.
Speaker 2: Well, I know a person that always has to rub their nose. It's like, no matter what when they're talking, they always reach up and they'll rub their nose nervous tick, nervous tick or their nose itches all the time. I'm not sure, but yeah. And it's not like they stick their finger up their nose.
Speaker 1: They just like they just like a nose rope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they touched their nose and maybe wobble it around a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's similar to the one I'm thinking of. I had a coworkers like my manager at the time, and he would always like, yeah, before he would talk to you, he'd like, sniff in, clear his throat and then speak. So you cut these acts, souls. Sure, so are you using this certain dial kliper whatever? And you're like, are you sniffing clear your throat every time you speak to me? Yeah, got to be bad for your science.
Speaker 2: Well. Another one that's weird is like your grandpa every time he eats or drinks something. After he swallows or takes a drink, he has to go I do that too, Yeah, you do. And that drives me insane because people do it.
Speaker 1: They don't know. I think involuntary noises in general, like if somebody's doing something and they don't know it.
Speaker 2: But you know what thing your mom does, it's really weird. So she'll be dead asleep and I'll be just trying to go to sleep, and I'll fill the bed move and I'll look over and I see her arm raising up in the air and it raises straight up in the air, and her wrist is like limped over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, zombie.
Speaker 2: And then she'll take your other hand and it's her wrist is limp. But she'll stroke up her arm with her fingers. It's weird, and they get to the top of by her wrist and then she'll stroke back down. That's weird. And she'll just be doing that. It's like weird stroking, like a weird kind of Yeah, but take hardly any pressure's feather like pressure in the middle of the night. It is weird. It is weird. I'll grab her armor like slam it down.
Speaker 1: Like stop, you're afraid of that? Like limpriss just coming around your throat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like your arm's possessed.
Speaker 1: What are you doing.
Speaker 2: It's like a snake about ready to strike me. That's funny, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's a funny one.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, let's let's wrap this up. We've talked a long time. Let's uh, let's close this baby off. I do want to encourage people. If you haven't seen our web page, you can go to a web page at a streams thing dot com. We also have a Facebook page you can check out. And now we have also got a page on me Wei, which is kind of cool. We're trying to be where the people are. So if you've migrated or thinking about migrating, or have dual accounts for your social media and you have a me we account. We are there, so check us out. I'm also join us on on Instagram, Join us on Twitter. Austin's gone silent. I don't know what he's doing over there. I'm sure I think it's so.
Speaker 1: It's a called where you see the same thing over and over again.
Speaker 2: Oh, dejav did you just have a data voo mo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, and I thought of something funny and then you were talking and I just trailed off. Remember how to say deja vu?
Speaker 2: It's kind of like saying managa too. No benaja tou pung shui manag You can make a brown language.
Speaker 1: Called the French. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just making up crap, right, but anyway, Yeah, check us out on Facebook, likes on Twitter, if you go to your favorite podcasting app, leave a review for us, Like us and share us with your friends. Just tell your friends about us, and we'd love for them to listen. Anything else you want to say before we close out? No, I don't think, buddy boy, all right, Well do your deed.
Speaker 1: So join us next time for some cold drinks and some strange conversations sounds good. You know what's a weird one, what deja vu dejev is weird? So join us next time for some cold drinks and some strange conversations.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Taters, Taters m.