Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Round of applause for DA Nathan Hoffman in the DA's office. They didn't have to relitigate that entire thing, but he just did.
Speaker 2: He laid out the entire case again, right, all of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a reason why this went to trial, not once and not twy I mean, this was litigated to jury several juries and they all came up with the same conclusion. And you heard him say this was not a case about sexual abuse. That the two brothers were asked repeatedly at the various trials, was this because of sexual abuse? And they said no, that's not what this was about. They claimed it was just self defense. They thought they were going to die that night, despite as he laid out, all the premeditation that went into what was clearly not a self defense and the heat of the moment killing. So that's the thing, I mean, they have So gas Scone came in and said, I want to put in this motion in motion essentially to reduce the prison terms. Hawkman said He'll let essentially the hearings stand, but that they have withdrawn the recommendation to reduce the prison terms until these two brothers come out and own up to what they did that night and own.
Speaker 2: Up to all the lies they refused to have.
Speaker 3: Done up to this point. I thought that was an interesting way to put it. He said, I'm going to offer there, we are offering a path, that was his term. We are offering a path if Eric and Lyle Menendez unequivocally take responsibility for their actions.
Speaker 1: It's the old Republican pathway to citizenship for illegal immigration. Really, it's like, I don't want to say no, but I'll if you jump over these hurdles and you do all these things and you check these boxes, all consider it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the recensing hearing is scheduled for the twentieth, twentieth, and twenty first.
Speaker 1: Right, But that's nothing. I mean, the only thing with him right now, Hawkman, is that he's saying that the judge could have this hearing, and that the judge could kind of decide on his own whether or not the brothers should be, you know, looked at in terms of reducing their sentence. There's no legal instrument to make that happen for the judge to go ahead and do what the DA's office now says it will not do. Because the DA's office said, we'll come to the game. Gascon led DA's office said, we're going to argue that these should be reduced because of Netflix Justice and it's popular. And now Hawkman's like, yeah, we'll show up. We're not going to make that case. This is our case. We stand with what the jury's found. But the judge can go ahead and he can decide one way or the other. The law says that the judge cannot. That's not a thing.
Speaker 3: He did lay out what I thought was the other interesting aspect. He talked about the basically a parole rating, that they get a score based on what sort of threat they would be to the outside world, what kind of rehabilitation efforts they've made while in prison, and said that they get they both get the lowest score possible, the best score possible. I think it's a way that is a better way to look at it, because of their time in getting advanced degrees, you know, associates degrees, one of them at least as a BA from UC Irvine.
Speaker 2: Apparently all the online courses that are available.
Speaker 3: So he did talk about that aspect of it, but said they just continued to uphold this lie. I think he referred to the sixteen lies that they have continued to tell, the four of which four other lies that they obviously now have said are admitted were lies to begin with.
Speaker 1: One of the major things with sentencing, And you will learn this if you immerse yourself in true crime documentaries you cover these cases. There's one thing that counts above all when it comes to sentencing, and it is owning up to what you did. And these two are pleading for a re sentencing five hundred years after the fact and still aren't owning up to it.
Speaker 2: That is a problem. I mean that that is a problem.
Speaker 1: If this trial happened two weeks ago and it was over and their sentencing was up. But it's been thirty five how many years? Do the math for me?
Speaker 2: Since then?
Speaker 1: And since nineteen ninety whatever? Yeah, that they still have not owned up to this. What what do they think is going to happen with any sort of chance at resentencing us? What judges want to hear, They want to hear you say, I did it, I screwed up. Here's why, And yeah, I may not have I may have not have said that at the trial, and I get it, and I did this and I lied about that, and yes it was premeditated and all of the things, and they haven't done it.
Speaker 2: He referenced the Sirhan Sirhan case a lot. That's weird. That was a weird comparison.
Speaker 1: Unnecessary, totally unnecessary, Like obviously has something in his craw about Sirhan Sirhan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like we did.
Speaker 1: I need First of all, the term case by case basis exists for a reason. Why would you compare the Menendez brother's case to the Sirhan Sirhan case when they are apples and oranges, very different cases.
Speaker 2: What just because they're in the media focus is that?
Speaker 1: Why is that because he's talking to a greater He's not making this case before a judge. He's making it to the public so that we all kind of know who sir Han Surhan is so we can be like, oh, okay, that's the guy who tried to shoot Bobby Kennedy at the Ambassador Hotel in nineteen sixty eight. Yeah, and he's like and he's eighty years old.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, it's not really topical is it so anyway?
Speaker 3: That is the significant that they're going to go forward the court initiated resentencing, and basically that Nathan Hawkmann says, We're going to give you an opportunity this path, if you unequivocally take responsibility for your actions, then we'll talk is sort of basically the line that he has put out.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the family members of Lyle and Eric Menendez who are calling on a recall of Hawkman. They think he should be removed his district attorney over this.
Speaker 2: What you want to move forward.
Speaker 1: With the fact that the two murdered people molested their own boys.
Speaker 2: You want to move forward with that.
Speaker 1: That's the narrative you want to withstand the test of time, right, Not that these two young men were money hungry and made a really bad decision and killed their parents and it's tragic and awful. You want to take it a step further for your family legacy and said that the parents were the mom and the dad were molesting their two boys. That's what you want to withstand.
Speaker 3: Come on, that's a weird That is aw weird Hill right there? All right, Gary and Shannon will continue. Deborah Mark, we haven't had a chance to see how you're doing.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Gary. There's been earthquakes.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I was taking a little nappy nap and I felt that one yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 2: It woke me up. I was not.
Speaker 1: Happy, Deborah. Deborah recommended to me as Amy King did Paradise. I finished it yesterday and my first thought upon finishing that, Deborah was, this is the last show for Deborah Mark to watch.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know why you've been walking around a little nervous for the past week. Yeah, yes, because you think the end could be nighe.
Speaker 2: I absolutely well.
Speaker 1: I don't want to think that way though, Shannon, it's just a show.
Speaker 2: We're fine, We're fine, I know. But the earthquake, the big one is it's.
Speaker 1: Eminent, all right, Gary and Gene will getting You're.
Speaker 2: Listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty La County.
Speaker 1: Nathan Hawkman says this hour he does not support the resentencing of the Menendez brothers. Nathan Hawkman said last month that he opposed a new trial, but talked about how maybe they could engage in a re sentencing and they.
Speaker 2: Would take a look at the case.
Speaker 1: He's taking a look at the case today in public at a press conference. He really litigated all the reasons why the menandaz brothers were convicted, why they should not get a chance at freedom at least, he says, until they accept complete responsibility, noting that the defense in the case was self defense at each trial, that they thought they were in imminent danger that night, that their parents would kill them. Wasn't sexual abuse by the way they were asked about it at the trials, they said it was not sexual abuse. He also brought up all the ways they premeditated in terms of getting the bullets, collecting the case, and all the things that we knew about if you went through the actual facts of the case instead of just watching a dramatized version of what happened on Netflix.
Speaker 3: A couple senior Ukrainian officials say that a delegation from Ukraine that we'll meet with our Secretary State in Saudi Arabia is going to propose a ceasefire with Russia that would cover the Black Sea and some long range missile strikes. Those officials for Ukraine also say that the delegation is ready to sign an agreement with the United States on access to.
Speaker 2: The rare earth minerals.
Speaker 3: That was the deal that President Trump was exciting, excited to try to secure. Of course the February twenty eighth meeting that turned into a disaster in the Oval office.
Speaker 1: The stock market is a unmitigated disaster at this point Dow is down seven hundred and fifty four points. Is going to not be a disaster. This is what happens as investors start freaking out. They're concerned about the tariff situation, a recession that could follow. So we'll dive into all that coming up after the news at the top of the hour and swamp watch.
Speaker 3: We'll place some of the some of our suggestions. We were talking about motivational Monday or motivating Monday.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 3: We'll figure out the stupid alliteration down in the future. But those inspirational speeches that we see in movies and TV shows sometimes that make you want to get up and run through a wall for whoever, whatever Denzel Washington movie it is. And we actually had a couple of good ones that were suggested. Some I can't play because why well, one suggestion was fine line between a righteous rant and inspiration. But Tommy Lesorda on on Kurt Bavaqua.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was another Bovaqua.
Speaker 3: The other one was was him talking about, uh, was it Kingman that hit four home runs against them something?
Speaker 2: Yes, that sounds vaguely familiar. We could bleep them.
Speaker 3: I do have one version of that that we could play. Stuff is really good. So there's that. Somebody also suggested that there was just one that just came out in fact Cono from the Morning Show Rick Patino Saint John's men's basketball halftime speech from just two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Oh, Larry Bird's not going to walk through that door. Rick Patino so love that one.
Speaker 3: So if there's any other suggestions, let us know what you think would be great motivation.
Speaker 2: Here's one suggestion. Glad you're Gary, make Shannon laugh. Jack Nicholson the movie A Few Good Man. Yes, course, it's just going to say that the great listening to you guys, thank you well.
Speaker 1: Also when they have lunch, when Jack Nicholson has lunch with Tom Cruise, that I eat breakfast three hundred yards from four thousand cubans trained to kill me. Think you're going to come down here in the word I can't say any more white uniform and make me nervous.
Speaker 2: I love that's it's a great way.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary Shannon, glad to have you guys back. I wanted to give a recommendation for the motivational speech the two thousand and six remake of Rocky Balboa and he's talking to his son and giving him a motivational speech about how the world hits hard and doesn't matter how hard you get hit. Got it, you can take the hits and keep going forward. One of the best motivational speeches I heard in that movie.
Speaker 2: That scene.
Speaker 5: I listened to it all the time when I work out.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, by the way, his son Rocky Balboa son, Yeah, played by Milo Milo.
Speaker 2: Amelia whatever it is. But I can't say his name. I didn't. I don't know that. But that's one I got. I didn't know that that was his son. No, it's not his son.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's the character act my little place.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was about.
Speaker 1: Wait, so when are we going to do our motivational speech every Monday?
Speaker 2: Like what time?
Speaker 3: I don't know, But let's do it later in the show today, just because we have to get through some of what people have suggested too. So yeah, A twelve thirty Yes, okay, because then it's time for lunch, to digestebe and then to get back and attack the second half of your day and the week, really the week and the rest of the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ninety Gary and.
Speaker 4: Shannon coming to you. I'm driving the three ninety five listening to Gary's stories about mammoth, and I'm passing all the same things you did on my way home from Bishop this weekend. And I would want to say, this might not be the right motivational speech, but when you said that, it made me think of John Belushi's speech in Animal House. Funny. Not terribly motivating, though, but you might consider it for your wheel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got that a couple of times.
Speaker 3: That's pretty funny. There's another one, Brave Heart. That's an easy one.
Speaker 2: Is that the only part? Okay, it's about a minute and a half. Okay, what about Abe Lincoln? Four score?
Speaker 3: Not a lot of recordings of Abe Lincoln have to find. But that was also the problem with Roosevelt. Not a lot of recordings of Teddy Roosevelt.
Speaker 1: But you could use your trans Atlantic accent that you use in an adult theater and now in the Hollywood major motion picture industry, and you could recreate.
Speaker 3: Them Glengarry Glenn Ross. That was one coffee you know that's going to hit Broadway. Coffee is for closers.
Speaker 2: My girlfriends said she's going to go see this. Yeah, bil Burr is it bil Burr?
Speaker 1: And yeah, not mcculchy.
Speaker 2: Colkin. That his name, that's colly whatever. No.
Speaker 3: St Crispin's speech from Henry the Fifth. I'm not sure about Shakespeare. I think I'm not sure that gets enough people roused.
Speaker 1: There was a excerpt of that just recently in a book I'm reading Saint Crispin's.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hey, Gary and Shannon, this is Jillian.
Speaker 4: I just want to say one of my favorite motivational speeches comes from SNL.
Speaker 2: You're good enough, you're smart enough, damn and gosh, darn it people like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Molly, anyway, Well we will play one. We'll see what the wheel lands on, and we'll play one of them. Come out U later in this show.
Speaker 1: What is going on on Wall Street? How long will it last? When will it correct itself? And will we see that this week? All our answers when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP