Speaker 1: Tired of the every day grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape design to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are somewhere in the Pacific, out of Letty in the Philippines, charting a course of south by southeast, when out of the deep of the sea a new volcano is born, and your ship is caught in the middle of it, from which there is no escape.
Speaker 3: Listen now as Escape brings you Vincent mceugh's story The Boiling Sea.
Speaker 4: It you would have been an easy trip. It was the spring of forty five, the war was almost over, and what few Japs were left that far south didn't figure to give us any trouble. I was first made of the Hope by Victory, hauling cargo with the Landings and the Philippines. But this trip we detoured south to the Tailee Island of Karazuti and the Malocas to pick up a detachment of rangers, a demolition team, and bring them up to Samar. We cleared for another about eighteen thirty hours, and his darkness fell. I went out of there I found Lieutenant Drury the range of CEO and the stop sergeant watching gam Kamora, the volcano over on the island.
Speaker 5: I'm McCallum eating mate. Quite a sight, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Sure is? But thenver get better.
Speaker 4: We passed closer to it after Nati and the dog. You can see the lava spouting like fourth of July.
Speaker 5: We got a look at a small one back on Casuuti inactive. So wle group of violins on both sides of the strait is volcanic, you're telling.
Speaker 6: Me, tryumph Now you can have my share them. That big baby there used to keep us awake nights rumbling.
Speaker 5: They aren't exactly conducing to peace of mind, I'll admit, sergeant, but they're very interesting. I'd like a chance to study one more closely. Not for me, Lieutenant, Well, probably won't get another chance.
Speaker 7: Now. The men all comfortable, Sergeant, Well.
Speaker 6: It ain't the Queen Mary, sir, but they're okay.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this baby wasn't meant but troop transplant, no matter.
Speaker 7: We're used to improvising.
Speaker 5: Well night, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Nice sharing, nice guy, the best one of them.
Speaker 6: Guys with principles serious, you know, educating them kind usually get clobbered first thing, but he's come through, bloody. You have a time back there in not much Jap radio station, half starved out already. Of course they put up a fight, they always do, but.
Speaker 2: Not so bad.
Speaker 6: Hey, look at that thing Belgian smoke a mile high, flashing.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, spectacular?
Speaker 6: All right, Hey, lieutenant, could I could I interest you in a human scalp tand with mangrove bark got me a couple of extra back there someone cheap?
Speaker 2: Oh, thanks Sigon. I got one scalp. I hope that'll last me the rout.
Speaker 4: That night, for the first time since we left home, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Get to sleep, and tried reading a while and gave that up too.
Speaker 4: Finally I got a cup of coffee and took one up to Hannigan.
Speaker 2: On the bridge.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks Mac, just what I needed.
Speaker 4: We sipped our coffee quietly. Bosum stood silently at the wheel. The time is over four twenty five hours. We were steaming up through the Maluka passage, of course, one degree true speed, eighteen knots, a smooth, gentle swell. The phosphorescence in the bower wash was brightened enough to show hands and faces it was peaceful.
Speaker 2: Hey mac ay mac, you smell anything coffee? No, come here, stand over here. Yeah, little sulfur and something that smells.
Speaker 8: Like wet does That's what I thought too, sir.
Speaker 5: Well, couldn't it say?
Speaker 9: Isn't there a volcano over there on Helmhera or you might be getting a little land breeze?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we passed it an hour back. I'll take it. I got them, you guys spitting over the sat up there. What's the matter, Brian, I just.
Speaker 10: Happened to notice my intake more is heating up very much. Well, it's supposed to be about twenty five degrees centigrade around here.
Speaker 8: It's twenty nine.
Speaker 10: Now we're pulling sludge too. Looks like pomus.
Speaker 4: Okay, I guess you better call the captain Hagan. Smell that, captain.
Speaker 7: Yes, you check the ships to account.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Boyd and Parman went over to nothing wrong.
Speaker 7: Yes, well stop the engines. Yes, mister Hannigan, you check our.
Speaker 11: Position, Yes, Captain, it's verified here on the chart sonic depth finder on mister greng Jane.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, turned it out right away, reads one one.
Speaker 7: Four three fables.
Speaker 11: I'll see here this is where we are about thirty five miles west of Kumbakia, and how the hero nautical miles that is? Yes, over here you see less than three miles northwest. You've got a bigea. Somebody reported the show there once, hasn't been found again since. Might be anywhere in the general vicinity I see here. It's marked eighteen fathoms he the existence stand for reported.
Speaker 2: February eighteen seventy one.
Speaker 5: And if there is something there, it can't be anything but a submarine mountain that those depths all around him.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's probably volcanic. One of those buggers that push up, you know, and sink back down again. Got some of them up in the burning. But all we've got to go on is this old captain that came through here in eighteen seventy one, probably a whaler. Didn't care where he was so long as he had his foot on a fish. You think he could have got his bearings and helm my hair.
Speaker 2: I can't tell.
Speaker 11: I suppose Now here's this old fellow dawdling through here. In February northwest monsoon at its height, fairly good winds, mostly north or western north current sets about two knights of the wind. So if he's out in his reckoning, you see, it's probably because he's farther over to the south of east than he thought.
Speaker 7: Like this, that puts us pretty close to the trouble.
Speaker 5: Go up to the southeast, because we don't know how far art he was.
Speaker 11: If he was out now here, we could go this way, but it seems foolish to backtack on our course and then go west to get fair. Don't see why we wouldn't be safe if we cut across the angle to the southwest. That sounds right to me, Kevin, Yes, we should be safe enough.
Speaker 2: Well, let's hope. So it's the Grand Jeans.
Speaker 11: Then by the death finder and sing out if again. Initially, yes, sir, the ship was a donge GQ. The engine stopped. The nearer ocean silence hung over everything.
Speaker 4: They're still dark, but a soft glimmer was beginning to show behind the peaks.
Speaker 2: And how maham, it's not the engines half speed?
Speaker 5: Yes, they're half speed.
Speaker 4: The returning pulse of the engines, like a reviving heartbeat, seemed to bring the ship back to LFE.
Speaker 7: You were about two twenty five to twenty.
Speaker 4: Five our by victory began to gather away, turning. The person got her around, met her and settled on course. Haddigan stood by the bridge farm for minutes.
Speaker 2: We stood quietly, watching and waiting.
Speaker 4: Now there was a rosy smear in the east behind us, are glooming on the sea. I could just make out the bow, and a man silhouetted in the cross nest a bubble.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Ronnie engine Room says thirty two degree.
Speaker 2: Up, three degrees.
Speaker 11: Yeah, stand the phonness to Hannigan, report any change. Another few minutes we'll be able to see a little more.
Speaker 2: Captain man in the cross nest. He's waiting.
Speaker 3: Tomina reads thirty eight craves rocks that had full left rudder, full left rudder.
Speaker 4: We could see it now, not five hundred yards ahead. Nothing in a nightmare. It had ever been so awful as that jagged rocky crest, hunching and lifting like the back of a great dawn lizard.
Speaker 2: In the yellow light. It came fuming of the seas, slimy with the first mud of creation.
Speaker 4: The slow swell pitched up on it. We could fill its deep grumbling roar through the noise of the engines. The ship was turning now. No one spoke. We stared with slow understanding of the horror that began to form in all our minds. The monster was not a single peak. The ridge we'd seen coming up in the southwest was extending itself in a long curve of points and benches.
Speaker 2: All across the south caper turning, keeper turning. But it was already too late.
Speaker 4: Clear across the red pink wash of dawn, a black spur joined under the east, and when we looked north, the swell was lipping up on a jag of blue rocket thickened to the west and hooked on down into the southwest. The hawk by victory was completely encircled. We were trapped in the middle of an emerging wall came up.
Speaker 3: You are listening to The Boiling Sea tonight's presentation of escape. Keep the family intact this holiday weekend by driving safely, observe speed laws, stay on your side of the road, and don't try to save time at the risk of losing a lifetime. Driving's more relaxed, more fun that way, and safer too. And now back to escape And the second act of The Boiling Sea.
Speaker 4: Took a few seconds for the full impact of the situation that hits encircle, trapped in a crater of jagged rising peaks on every quarter of the compass.
Speaker 2: Still nobody said anything until Captain has It spoke in a quiet voice.
Speaker 7: All right, stop the engine.
Speaker 2: Then we all know. The wires dropped away, and the hope.
Speaker 4: By victory settled floating dead, and a fuming black brown lake that bubbles like muddy coming to a boiled the terrible stony rumbling jot up to the soles of my shoes.
Speaker 7: Well, I got you fellows into this.
Speaker 2: Oh no, cap you did the best you could.
Speaker 4: How could anyone know where an unshot at mountain would come up out of the sea, Hagan.
Speaker 10: I don't want to get you fellas too excited up there, but you better quit smoking. We're getting sixty eight degrees centigrade on this thing. Got any anchine went boiled? What is going on up there?
Speaker 2: Brownie?
Speaker 5: We're in a volcano.
Speaker 10: Well, I always told you something like this would happen.
Speaker 2: You know, you gotta watch.
Speaker 9: You're doing sixty eight degrees integrate, sir, Well Jonah made it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know. Maybe there's a hole in it somewhere. We can wait till it settles down. Get the boats out.
Speaker 11: Yes, by gully, I mean idea, mister McCallum, if we do a good job of Savene, maybe they'll forgive us.
Speaker 7: Or getting into it in the first place.
Speaker 4: No one mentioned the chance that we might never get out. We lived in the crater of a mountain interruption. We're still working and thrusting, but its force had began to die down.
Speaker 2: In the west and southwest.
Speaker 4: Its highest peaks through maybe fifty sixty feet above the sea. In the north and northwest much lower. We could see the swell breaking over two places.
Speaker 7: Sir Hannigan, you will check and recheck the position.
Speaker 11: Yes, Captain, it's the Grand Gene. You will take bearings and measurements of the rim, starting at zero degrees and working all around the companies. Yes, Karen, you will pass the word that we're I'm going to try getting out of here just as soon as the first shark is over. I don't wanted to think we're not doing anything. Yes, might let the people down in the engine room now, and the gun crew and tell Lieutenant Drury and his rangers.
Speaker 2: Yes him, all right, thank you, gentlemen. I carried the message to the other officers.
Speaker 4: Men were hanging over the rail, looking at the dead fish in the Pubian water. Everybody was coughing sickly. Gases came up in spurts and slow blobs. Here and there are small guys that paddered down stones and mud on the water. There was a washer gloomy sun on the crags to the west. Beyond lay the glimmer of the Molucca Passage. Like the whole of life itself, it seemed very distant.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: At breakfast, the captain was still cheer.
Speaker 11: All right, gentlemen, we may as well eat. May not have another chance for a while. What do you think so well?
Speaker 7: Looks as if the one is about over.
Speaker 11: We get the boats out after breakfast. See if we can't find a hole in it? Just a western omelet for me mass. What if we can't do that, maybe we can find a place to get the boats across, isn't father? I'm a hero, you know about thirty six miles, But I'd hate to wish I knew more about how these volcanoes behaved. Might sink down again in an hour or two, or it might keep building up.
Speaker 5: Could I make a suggestion, Captain Hazard, Yes, go ahead, Lieutenant Drury my boys are training demolition. Word we can find the right place. I think we might be able to blast a hole big enough of the ship to get through.
Speaker 11: Yes, thank you, Lieutenant. Yes, we've been thinking the same thing. Only trouble is a blast like that might set the whole business off. I suppose we'd better wait till we've tried everything else.
Speaker 7: First.
Speaker 2: We take the boats out right after breakfast.
Speaker 11: Yes, mister McCallum, you will take one and go north to the rim, follow it to the east. Mister Hannigan, we'll take the other south and follow it west. Lieutenant Drury, a detail of your rangers can go in each boat.
Speaker 2: What about communications?
Speaker 11: Yeah, too bad. We don't have radios in the boats. We'll have to use flare guns. One flare if you find a hole big enough for the ship, confirm it with a handlead then two flares to come on the usual recall signal. Well, gentlemen, we're in God's hands now.
Speaker 8: Fifty yard sir.
Speaker 2: These are and slowly busting right into the rocks.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, take a look at that water man, don't see anything like its slimy gas bubbling up.
Speaker 2: I'm very inviting. Take a look at what's the head, Lieutenant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't look like any rock I've ever seen before. It's something monstrous, something tortured about it. Yeah, all yours, lieutenant, Ready, Sergeant Fata ready.
Speaker 12: Sir easy Boston, All right, old, steady, all.
Speaker 13: Right, you guys go.
Speaker 5: Okay, good now, I hand over with the pigs. Get specimens of the rock.
Speaker 13: Botell.
Speaker 5: You're going up the top and check.
Speaker 2: Yes, this doesn't look very promising.
Speaker 5: No, it's only twenty feet high, but we haven't got enough explosive to blast through. Here must be gap somewhere.
Speaker 2: There's vota on top of it.
Speaker 13: Vota can you see anything? And he breaks to the east and to see any head?
Speaker 5: Talk for sure though, All right, come back, we'll go down farther.
Speaker 4: We cruise slowly along the rim through the dirty, brown, black simmering water, stopping every few hundred yards to break off specimens of rock. It was hot, we felt as if our bodies were drenched in a heated grease. The crater had a general downhill trend to the eastward in the northeast sectory. It came to what appeared the lowest point here, the swell broke Claire across the shallow pitch.
Speaker 5: This is the best place for blasting we've seen yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't look bad. It might be possible.
Speaker 5: Let me take four of my men on those rocks and try to find some likely openings for charges, just in case.
Speaker 4: Okay, moving class again, busting listen drawing.
Speaker 2: Those rocks are wet and that's swell. There's plenty of power. Watch yourselves.
Speaker 5: Don't worry about us. Maybe we don't mind wet feet.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, center razy busson.
Speaker 13: Okay, boys, horever we go. Come on, get the let out a right man, spring up.
Speaker 2: Look for the cracks, all off, Boston.
Speaker 4: Can you stand by with the line secured, ready to toss him just in case?
Speaker 5: How about this, mate?
Speaker 7: Do you think we'll have to try it?
Speaker 2: Last? Is that?
Speaker 4: I don't know what looks like? Maybe unless Hannigan found something we shouldn't.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Blasting in this stuff is like letting a fire cracker on a dynamite factory.
Speaker 2: May have to take the chance.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, look back there until the ship a dirty yellow guck. We're going to break out the gas mass we had gas man, What was.
Speaker 8: That an explosion?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 8: Underneath this the whole thing's going on sinking.
Speaker 13: Look the man they're sinking from the line, los and hurry, hey, dry grab the line, get.
Speaker 2: Your man on it.
Speaker 13: We'll pull you in. That's it, passing on out of your hurry.
Speaker 14: All right, the wrong on?
Speaker 13: Hey, bring him in he fast as you can. Okay, his drawery, get it, then hurry home?
Speaker 9: On? Come on?
Speaker 13: What's hurting the whole things?
Speaker 2: Morning?
Speaker 13: Keep having foot?
Speaker 8: Where's moto?
Speaker 13: I got him right here?
Speaker 11: Come on up.
Speaker 13: Heat, God of Heaven, keep a lgmantic for all right.
Speaker 15: Here's the next te to be hoisted in us three? All right, coming easier, now, let's hang me foro. Come on, fellow cramp one more trouble man, all right, craig, so we can.
Speaker 13: Get out of here.
Speaker 8: The line's coming too.
Speaker 13: First trouble, where's trouble? White little tennant? Stop him holding drawery.
Speaker 8: You can't trouble us.
Speaker 16: Tell him that you can't come back in without a line tying around his waist wall.
Speaker 13: I'm going to all right, but tying to that line then we'll be able to.
Speaker 2: Hide you back.
Speaker 4: They went over the side, disappearing into the murk on the sludgy water.
Speaker 2: The shocks were increasing in violence. Now they jared their teeth and my heads.
Speaker 4: We looked toward this ship and saw the western rim of the crater thrusting up in a great.
Speaker 2: Wall behind it.
Speaker 4: Then Walt's head appeared close to the boat, his face black, and he shook a hopeless no. He dived again two or three times, and then let us pull him in. But Drury wouldn't give up. Come on, pull him in.
Speaker 8: He's fighting us.
Speaker 13: We'll fight him back and get him inmber this boat. Yes, sir, here, I'll give you a hat. He let me cool.
Speaker 8: We gotta get the bubble.
Speaker 13: Let me go. You can't waste any more time. Yeah, it's no use, straw.
Speaker 5: But he's in there somewhere.
Speaker 13: We can't just let him stay there. Man, No, no, honey, all right, laws and take her off.
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry if I'm trouble with Tenor. But he is one man.
Speaker 13: There are a hundred men back there in the hold by victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Sorry, it's getting worse every minute.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do anything.
Speaker 13: We gotta do it fair. Hey, look over there with the rock sank.
Speaker 2: That GAP's big enough for the ship. Yeah maybe, but is it deep enough.
Speaker 5: It's gotta be the whole thing. Make a one any minute like a roll of chin.
Speaker 2: All right, Boston fire, one flat. Walt got the hand lead, I've got it. Who quote, don't have a drag at.
Speaker 4: Ten fathoms a quarter across the gap, sing out if you feel anything. The boat moved slowly across the old edge of the crater and out into the open sea.
Speaker 2: Walt, holding the lead line, shook his head at me. He felt nothing.
Speaker 4: I turned carefully in the swell and carted back into the crater. I could see the hope by Victory creeping toward us. She'd recalled hanning it's boat and was dragging ahead of her in a narrow s curve. They were like vessels under shelfire. The whole center of the crater was writhing with smoke.
Speaker 2: And erupting guises of much in stone. We can see rocks falling on the deck behind the ship.
Speaker 4: The western crags now jet a three hundred feet high, lifting and working in black agger.
Speaker 2: The ship was coming on fast. We were the last chance. Do you feel what they want?
Speaker 8: Nothing? Can they make it?
Speaker 9: Sir?
Speaker 2: They've gotten too fat.
Speaker 4: Two flowers and we'll stand out to see him, make a target for him.
Speaker 8: Hey better hurry, there's things about the blow.
Speaker 2: It's top.
Speaker 8: All right here too all send what's that here?
Speaker 9: You'll never make it.
Speaker 2: A GAP's too small, you tight squeeze. The captain's got it perfectly centered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be better.
Speaker 9: It's coming full speed.
Speaker 13: If he misses, heading it through now the minute, we'll know.
Speaker 2: Man. If they crash, we'll have.
Speaker 5: To work fast, unless the shock is enough to set the whole thing off.
Speaker 8: Here they come, smells breaking on the bar.
Speaker 13: It's not slacking spade, and it's too small. It's too small.
Speaker 8: They're in.
Speaker 2: She's coming through.
Speaker 13: She's coming through.
Speaker 14: Chairs.
Speaker 2: We're not out of this ship.
Speaker 13: He's not cunning his spee. He's not gonna leave us here.
Speaker 2: Hold on on. He's turning between the two boats. You'll get us on one side and handing it on the other. Huck.
Speaker 16: Captain signaling the bridge person, give a fots fade, give her everything at that parallel his course.
Speaker 8: Where's the gifts wall?
Speaker 13: Hang on, we'll pick you up later on. You heard him old time jewry walk and they got that line.
Speaker 2: When it's thrown down, I don't miss.
Speaker 5: Here they are.
Speaker 16: I'll steady against the bow watch person holding alongside all right here comes the line. Bak fast, hurry before we lose the snacker, and they get good and fast. Give to the wortch person, hollo.
Speaker 13: We're fine, brother, just in time.
Speaker 2: All right, person, you'd cut the engine. We're under tone.
Speaker 9: Man, man, so we ain't gonna sleep on a bed of colds tonight.
Speaker 6: Brother. I ain't never felt anything so good as the pull on that line.
Speaker 9: It's funny nuts, full speed, pulling us away fast, maybe two miles already.
Speaker 2: It can't be too fast for me.
Speaker 5: Just look at that thing. Whether it's an inferno, yes.
Speaker 14: Suh, all of it, the whole thing.
Speaker 8: It did blow.
Speaker 2: Its top wall.
Speaker 4: Help the mountain with a towel holder in. Grab guys who drury, help me matter back as far as we can. Then stay down, everybody, stay down. There's a wave coming, a tidal wave.
Speaker 8: Look at it.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, come.
Speaker 13: All right, get down, everybody kick down.
Speaker 5: We thought we were saved. It's fifty sixty maybe one hundred feet.
Speaker 13: We'll take the whole ship. Everything, keep down and hang on none.
Speaker 8: Here it comes, here, it comes.
Speaker 10: We're not.
Speaker 2: Everybody all right. I don't know how, but we're all right.
Speaker 4: Man, had wave that lifted us to the level of the rail of the Hopi Victory. But a seismic wave does not crest an open sea. So it came as one great smooth swell that lifted as high and passed and let us swoop back down again. A few minutes later the ship picked us up, and we all paused to look back at the emblem of fire we left behind us.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess maybe the captain was right. We must have been in the hands of God. All accept trouble, Yeah, all accept trouble.
Speaker 6: Well, look, you wanted to study a volcano close to did?
Speaker 5: I will remind me to cross that study off my list.
Speaker 3: Escape, produced and directed by David Friedkin and Morton Fine, has brought you The Boiling Sea, a story by Vincent mcew and adapted for radio by John Duncle. Featured in the cast were Ted Decrcia, Herb Butterfield, Harry Bartel, Herbellus and Tony Barrett. Also heard were Jack Moyles, Clayton Post and Jim Hayward. You're announcer Bill Anders. The special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stevens.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are stranded with a carnival just the side of the Iron culta'in when out of nowhere a fortune is within your grasp, Riding a number on a roulette wheel hundreds of feet high. Why at your shoulder, laughing at you, a killer clown from whom there is no escape.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when Kate brings you David Friedkin and Morton Fine Story Carnival in Vienna. Stay tuned now for Nightwatch, which follows immediately. Over most of these stations, there's Comedy with My Little Margie Sunday nights on the CBS Radio network.
Speaker 9: Sta