Speaker 1: Accent, pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips and.
Speaker 2: Gateway First back.
Speaker 1: Ah, good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's not for the Green Country Gardener Program. And our telephone number is one eight hundred seven four nine five nine three six, and that'll get you an audience with his lariness, Uh Larry Glass, our expert here today on the Green Country Gardener Program. How you doing today, buddy, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It just fine. Feeling feeling like a million bucks today.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: More so, I forgot these headphones figured out ahead of all backwards and everything was everybody was talking backwards.
Speaker 3: Oh turning around way.
Speaker 1: I'm sure glad the tech guys were here earlier that you got you all straightened out. Man, you would have been listening to like Beatles records or something like that from sixty seven anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so really this is getting to be a very busy time for a lot of people in their gardens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sunshining, things are greening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people are buying plants and enjoying them, getting ready to enjoy them and all that.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure hope you got your Hello.
Speaker 4: I hope you got your dirt ready though, before we plant, so that's very important.
Speaker 1: I was talking to the lady from the extension office. Yeah, and she says they have been so busy because they have taken Lord glasses advice by getting their soil tested exactly. Oh yeah, boom boom boom, bag by a bag by bag, sample by sample by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're getting her done.
Speaker 4: That way, you have a basis and the knowledge of what's going on down there. They're listening, and it's a good way to prevent failure is to plan for success. And that's uh, starting with the dirt to the absolute first.
Speaker 1: That's that's the environment you're working with.
Speaker 3: Both exactly.
Speaker 4: Anyway, danallions, they're making a really big show and I usually cocked the window and see them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we mowed a couple of down yesterday.
Speaker 4: And actually dandelions are not weeds. They are considered wild vegetables and according to the USDA, dandelions are more nutritious than broccoli and spinach.
Speaker 2: I'm not willing to try. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why dandelions attract birds and deer, and in Fueblo, Colorado, is illegal to grow dandelions. But I'll be out working. I'll just pick them up and lose up and eat them. Pick up the leaves and eat them.
Speaker 5: Really, Yes, good stuff go good with ranch. Yeah, yeah, bacon. Well anyway, so the factory, they're pretty healthy. I'm not saying anybody needs eat on their hands and needs and eat their Danaalians.
Speaker 2: But still next thing, you know, we've got toddlers.
Speaker 4: My granddaughter they were out, they're out in the backyard and she is picking the leaves and.
Speaker 3: My daughter had to stop her.
Speaker 4: From don't need that, No, don't need that, because for the little girls, she really likes her, like everything goes there. She likes her vegetables too. Anyway, So to dandelions, they're not that bad a deal. They're They're just kind of a nuisance and when it's really wet and rainy, you can kind of pull them up. They've actually had special tools dig up dandelions.
Speaker 2: I got to invest in those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got some of my house that are quite rusty, but.
Speaker 3: I just got to tolerate them. They're kind of pretty.
Speaker 4: But anyway, in the garden, right now that now that you're soiled, is ready, I assume you have your your your beds all ready for your angle to be.
Speaker 1: Plenty as soon as he did. I watched her do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, anyway, afraid of hurt myself.
Speaker 3: I think at this point in time, we're relatively safe. Looking at the poecast. It's not going to get down really cold the next few days.
Speaker 4: So today is the twelfth, So in three days it's tax time. Anyway, mine are done. All I gotta do is sign checks. Gosh, I did, yes, snarl but anyway, yeah, it's it's stay.
Speaker 1: To Oakley, Hilm. We got half of my paycheck. Is I can't wait till you get that state thing down to the zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'd be nice.
Speaker 4: Yet then we spend more money on flowers and things, you bet, you bet, and.
Speaker 3: Then they get the sales tax money, so they'll come back to it. Yeah. But anyway, back back to the way to go. What are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, get the best, Yeah, get the beds ready to go.
Speaker 4: If your soil is real difficult to work at this point, the moisture content is really good in the soil right now. And if you're having a difficult time preparing your soil and the other word, digging it with a shovel, it sounds like it needs a little bit of help. And that's where compost comes in. And we have a compost in bags. We also have an we also have compost in bulk. It's pretty cool stuff and you can shovel it in a bucket or you can just take some bags on either one and blend it with your soil. So when you plant your annuals, you should be able to take your hand and reach into the soil very easily take out some soil for your annuals to do well. Yeah, you can't really use a drill bit and just pop them into clay.
Speaker 3: They just won't work that way.
Speaker 4: Say you want to make sure the soil is very well prepared when you plant your annuals. Okay, the weather looks clear, no prosts. After you get them in the ground, you might consider mulching too. Moltching helps. That's kind of a flywheel effect on the water loss in your soil. In other words, it's real high and kind of a if you picture a sine laid.
Speaker 3: It's relatively flat.
Speaker 4: But if you don't have molts, you got a lot of moisture and then quickly it goes away, so it's very sharp and plants really can't tell it. Most plants, especially your angels, really can't tolerate that kind of an inconsistency and the soil moisture content, So the multi provides that consistently does it acts as a blanket to keep the soil temperature fairly constant.
Speaker 3: And it also helps to prevent water loss too.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if if you're really relished a thought of going through more water rationing this year, but no, we really don't want to do that. So if we want to do what we can to preserve the water as much as possible. And the moultch does a good job. It looks nice too, it's a really good backdrop. And moltch also helps control weeds et cetera, et cetera too, And the birds like to build nests out of it.
Speaker 1: So yet that so anyway, watch out for sprouting hackberry trees.
Speaker 2: That's all I gotta say.
Speaker 4: With the birds come in yeah, oh and they are, They're everywhere.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of what's going on with the nursery. We have eight of plants too, and we're out of cannibals. I sold all of them. I took them up out of my yard and put them in a crate people.
Speaker 3: They really liked it.
Speaker 4: They get much of a demand, I'll let them have some more, okay. But anyway, so yeah, yeah, gone to So what were we talking about. Oh, that's the nursery herbs, new flowering trees. We have lavender plants, lots of lavender plants, really nice, lots of perennials. The annuals are starting to arrive. It is prime planting time. Get those tomatoes out pretty soon too. We've got quite a few tomatoes from which to choose also, So I like to wait for the ground to warm up a little bit for tomatoes, and the night tent temperature to kissed consistently in the fifties at least, because they can't take up potassium when it's really cold, and the leaves trying to turn purple. But you notice if you plant your tomatoes early and it does that, they just kind of stopped growing and they had this purple tinged to them. As soon as it warms up at night, they just take off. So but you can still do it.
Speaker 2: You still do it.
Speaker 3: Let's we'll just sit there if it's cool.
Speaker 4: And last night was what forty five or something, Yeah, forty five.
Speaker 3: And during the course of the week, it's going to be in the forties.
Speaker 2: Forties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go ahead and plant them, but they really won't grow very much until the nighttime temperatures get pretty much established. And also right now, if you forget about your crabgrass control. As cool as it is right now, I don't see a lot of crabgrass coming up except in your yard.
Speaker 1: Yeahug I dug that thing up as fast as I could.
Speaker 4: Be going, so the crag rats is not really up yet, so you still have the window to control that. Some pro diamine will do a good job of that to control the crabgrass, and you want to get it in, you want to get it watered.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you're going to establish grass seed, though, do not use a pre emergent because it'll stop the grass seed from.
Speaker 3: Coming up too. The emergent.
Speaker 4: Urbside does not discriminate between species, so your grass will not grow. New grass will not grow after you put that on there. So you just had to put up with weeds to get a lot of there you go. So that's kind of it with lawns. Right now, the bermunigrass is just starting to grow, so it's too late to use round up on Pole Annual.
Speaker 3: Pole Annual is that there's a little green tufts here and there.
Speaker 4: You can still use some round up on it if you shield it. In other words, I get a pipe section and put it on the ground and spray it into there to get precisely precise application of the round up will control pole Annual not harming the bermunograss. You'll still have a bare spots from the bermuni grass, but it'll fill in pretty quickly. But if you just kind of spray it, it can cause more lateral damage rather than don't want that specific problems.
Speaker 3: And another thing, I just use a claw hammer to.
Speaker 4: Pull it up anyway, the hands and age with a hammer.
Speaker 3: Now, what are you doing the neighbors.
Speaker 2: Detailing my life?
Speaker 3: Don't mind.
Speaker 2: I'm busy.
Speaker 4: So that's probably what I'll be doing tomorrow. I got some weeds coming up in the yard. It looks kind of abandoned. Maybe get it all picked up.
Speaker 1: Arms are starting to look like some kind of a prairie grass experiment there for a while.
Speaker 2: But really it's looking on.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of everything going on there.
Speaker 2: But we had to.
Speaker 3: Take care of it.
Speaker 4: It was running my mower and the mower and the belt broke on it, and I had to literally take half the thing apart to get the belt on it.
Speaker 3: And I've got battle scars from that tell.
Speaker 4: But I got a new belt if we can just find the old thirty some year old on bowers working just finally blew out a belt. So when mowing your yard right now, you can cut it relatively low. It's still relatively cool, so fest grass to be cut fairly low. The bermuda grass is just now starting to emerge, so you might consider a defach on the bermuda grass.
Speaker 3: I'll be doing that to mine probably here the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: But you like to do that every about two or three years.
Speaker 4: Defatch about every three years. Scalping maybe every year, but this year it's the third years. It's time for a defatch.
Speaker 2: Gets the works done to it.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got this little machine that's got all these wires in it takes care of that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It does a good job. So anyway, so that's got to happen too. I got a lot a lot going on right now.
Speaker 4: It's a very busy time of here, and you can cut the bermuda grass fairly low. Right now, you can also cut the fiscue little bit low. Right now, it's relatively cool, but as time goes on, they'll you don't want to consider raising.
Speaker 3: The level up a little bit higher, especially in the shade or in part shade. You really can't have a very low growing land.
Speaker 4: There's just not enough light and the sunlight is really what propels the plant photosynthesis and it requires light for it to occur, and if you can't do that, it gets kind of dies out. So you want to, especially in the shade, make sure to raise that mower up so in the heat of it the grass to do a lot better. The surface area on the grass also acts as a radiator to help keep it cool. Members still mata, those little tiny pores and the leaves, that sort of water comes out and through evaporation that helps keep it cool. That's why when you're walking on the grass it feels relatively cool, is because it's just one big old radiator to help keep the grass itself cool. So that's one reason why you want to progressively get its tall until it's about six feet tall, right, no, three inches max really okay, two to and a half three inches to be okay. For summertime lawns.
Speaker 1: Well, let's take a break here. It is a eight twenty one. We'll be back after these two minute time out.
Speaker 6: Did you know Green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses is home to Bartleswill's largest selection to quality plants. Green Thumb has the best selection of tropical plants that would be a great addition to your home. Check out their new shipments of trees and shrubs arriving weekly and perennials ready to plant. Trying to plant your garden with onion and potatoes, haes, cabbage, broccoli and Brussels frues, and don't forget the strawberry plants too. Open Monday through Saturday, nine to five, noon to five on Sunday. Green Thumb Nursery in Greenhouses on.
Speaker 3: The what a Road?
Speaker 7: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 7: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 9: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 8: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 7: What's that number?
Speaker 10: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 9: Call it today for your tree trimming, stub grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 10: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 11: If you're a do it your sofer, the place you need to go and the place you need to know is United Rentals. A wise man once said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail. Finding out what you need is what the professionals at United Rentals are great at doing. You've noticed when you finally get the right tool or equipment for the job, how easy it is to fix. Well, that's what the experts do at United Rentals every day. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 12: Melissa Wandel was nine months pregnant with her first child when her husband Mark was killed in a car accident.
Speaker 6: His life insurance made a huge difference for Melissa and her daughter, Madison.
Speaker 9: I wasn't going to have to worry about going to work every day, leaving her in the hands of somebody else struggling day by day to get by.
Speaker 3: A message from the nonprofit Life Foundation.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardener program at age twenty three, forty eight degrees sunshine and the phone lines were open at one eight hundred and seven four nine five nine three six. Larry Glasses our expert, Larry Will.
Speaker 4: We have also in addition to the nursery, we have lots of dogwoods and Japanese maples, some Chinese fistache trees so and various other sundry.
Speaker 3: Species of trees.
Speaker 4: So we're getting pretty well stocked up on that. So they're coming in pretty hot and heavy right now. So if you need a trademark, you might popline to see.
Speaker 3: What we have.
Speaker 4: All right, that's in there too, so it where was I? Oh, time to plan your landscape?
Speaker 1: There you go and do this. Willy nilly folks, go to an.
Speaker 2: Expert, please.
Speaker 3: I'm heavily involved with that today. I've got appointments all over the place today.
Speaker 4: Yes, I won't be at the nursery very much, but really the design process is kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 4: The first thing you do is go visit the customer and gather information that is a measure the property and take some elevation pictures and all that, and find out what kind of soil they have. How's the drainage? Do they have a sprink or system to want a sprinkler system?
Speaker 3: What are their preferences as far as planting is concerned.
Speaker 4: Another word, do they want to have a lot of annual beds or do they want to.
Speaker 3: Just have just shrubs.
Speaker 4: So it starts kind of with an interview with the customer just at you just find out what it is there after in the length, everybody has their different purposes. Some people so I want a lot of perennials, really like to play in the perennials, and some one, you know, another person down so I don't want.
Speaker 3: To do anything. I just wanted to look nice year.
Speaker 4: I forget about it, no bugs, so and and and so. What I do is measure the get get a few measurements on the property, and a lot of times if it's here, I can get satellite imagery and overlay that on that to make a map. You get pretty accurate with that too. So you what you need to do is take a measurement on your property, pairty long distance on that and then you go to to the to the map thing and then I can scale that up and down on a on a program you put a point here and a point there, and you say how long is this and say, well, it's twenty five feet and it'll blow it out, it'll make it the scale.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: But that's not always enough information. There's a ins and outs on the houses that you can't see it for the roof line, which you have to measure for that and take pictures and so on, and trees get in the.
Speaker 3: Way and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So got that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But sometimes it's really easy to determine a property boundary by the quality of the grass.
Speaker 1: We have two completely different colors here.
Speaker 3: And fence lines too.
Speaker 4: You can project a fence line out that Most people's properties are fairly straight on that. Once the base information is down, then I take the information from the initial interview and come up with a set of plants that will fit those needs.
Speaker 3: What do they want? Hard shrubs, evergreen shrubs?
Speaker 4: They want, flowering shrubs, they want, you know, et cetera, et cetera. Do you want to curve bed or a square bed and whatnot? What's the bed shape going to be? Like, what's the drainage, like, what's the soil type?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: The things factor into it, that's a factor.
Speaker 4: All the stuff in there and then you then you do a design. And when I do it, I really don't determine the plant right away. I needed just a green shrub here and flowering shrubar, et cetera, et cetera. Then you can identify several species have will work based on their willingness to take care of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can make I can make pretty anything, but yeah, I need to know how much you're gonna help.
Speaker 4: You're going to help, and we're kind of a we're kind of a maintenance schedule they do they want to follow. Yeah, And I get some people, they customers who I don't want to do anything, anti gardener, They actually turn into very meticulous gardeners once they see it in the landscape.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're drawn to it and it just becomes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they some of them.
Speaker 4: I've had several customers who want to completely depart themselves. I don't do anything the landscaping, and then they see it all in there, how nice it looks.
Speaker 3: They see I want to have a part in this.
Speaker 4: And I kind of coached them along what to do when and so on, and they learn and they really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: So Larry's softening me up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you you're the anti gardener make it look good anyway. So a really properly planned and very appealing landscape can really make you get enthusiastic about it. You can get out there and work in a little bit. Now this I'm not gonna mention his name. This particular customer though, the lands Tom okay Tom.
Speaker 3: It's a very low maintenance one.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a Southwestern appeal to it, with the grasses and yuckas and things and really nice lots of boulders and whatnot, very attractive. And we put it in a stone border around it, so you run the wheels of the moor along it, and it trims it, you know, the weed whacker every time you can, we whacker it maybe once a you know, once a month, but not every time.
Speaker 3: And it turned out very well.
Speaker 4: It's it's in its fifth year right now, and it looks really good, nice and we go there and talk to them and we converse and have a good time laughing about just that and there and you know, so it's just been been a good experience, well good for both of us anyway. So anyway, so planning the landscaping, kind of knowing what the customer wants huh, what kind of plants will grow and it will comply with what the customer you want something he's going to have to mess with too much unless they really want to get involved with it. And sometimes they want to get involved with it after they see it. It's kind of interesting how that works.
Speaker 1: It is, but you know, I've seen that. I've seen that with people tell this all of a sudden, it's like that's their new baby. Yeah, and stay out of the way when they're got their mindset on.
Speaker 4: Basically, I pick out plants based on the interview and their level of competency as far as plant maintenance is concerned.
Speaker 3: Mostly incompetence, well, I fall into that.
Speaker 4: So and and some people are really they really want the the the area to garden with you, but they wants some gardening room too for annuals and vegetables and things to so you've got.
Speaker 3: To kind of plant plant it.
Speaker 4: And also so really knowing their goals, their thoughts and everything else is very important in doing a design. There's no such thing as a rubber stamp landscape. I've seen some of those online designs too, And there is a landscape designed hysterical His Hysterical landscape design.
Speaker 3: You know hoo puts Manhattan. You want tom it's.
Speaker 4: In between that little narrow gap between the sidewalk and the house. I've seen that. Yes, you know how big.
Speaker 1: A Manhattan you want to as big as Manhattan.
Speaker 4: Well they get eight foot tall and eight good. And now we'll work in the twoth of life faith. So you got to kind of watch it too.
Speaker 3: And if you do get.
Speaker 4: One of those online landscape designs, do your research and make sure these are the plants you really want.
Speaker 2: There anything online, do your research.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got some magic beans online. Boy, never mind, really never mind. Let's take a break. We'll be back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 13: Settle up, folks, It's time for the twenty seventh annual The Good, the Bad and the Barbecue, benefiting Eldercare. Mark your calendars for Saturday, May tenth, when the gates swing open at six pm at the beautiful Hughes Ranch Headquarters. Enjoy mouth watering barbecue from Dinks, live music with Bartlesville's own Luke Christiansen, a cash bar, wine and whiskey, and fund Tickets on sale now that are just one hundred dollars for an evening of great food and fun or upgrade to the VIP experience for five hundred dollars because you deserve the Royal Ranch treatment. This includes the patron party and all the merchandise for the event. Every ticket sold helps Eldercare provide life changing support to aging adults and their families right here in our community. So dust off your boots and grab your tickets today at about Eldercare dot org, forward slash BBQ or called nine one eight three three six eighty five hundred Rainershine Mother's Day Weekend, May tenth.
Speaker 3: We'll see you there.
Speaker 6: Join KWNAM fourteen hundred FM ninety three point three at ninety five point one four Consumer Calls on the Road from nine to noon today. Consumer Calls will be broadcasting from the Phillips sixty six parking Lot for Operation Clean House, sponsored by the Barblesfield Community Foundation. This recycling event is a great way to dispose of your hazardous household waste in an environmentally responsible.
Speaker 7: Way, free of charge.
Speaker 6: Choose your location based on the material you're disposing. Phillip sixty six parking Lot or Washington County District two barn in doing It's Operation Cleanhouse.
Speaker 12: As Oklahoma grows, we want to grow with it, and serving part time in the Oklahoma Army National Guard is perfect for that.
Speaker 7: Our service provides money for school so.
Speaker 3: We can be ready for a new.
Speaker 7: Career or improve our current one.
Speaker 12: We learn valuable teamwork skills and get hands on with some of the latest tech.
Speaker 7: And we also help the communities we.
Speaker 12: Live and recover whenever they are in need. Our service is helping to keep Oklahoma and ourselves moving forward.
Speaker 7: Learn more at nationalguard dot com.
Speaker 11: Slash Okay spoted by the Oklahoma Army National Guard, aired by the Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters.
Speaker 3: In this station, good.
Speaker 2: Morning, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 1: It is an eight thirty three and a half fifty one degrees and this is the Green Country Gardner program and our toll free line is open at one eight hundred and seven four nine five nine three six leurry glass.
Speaker 2: Where are we here?
Speaker 3: Well, y'all? As if it goes belong beyond.
Speaker 4: Just the plants and things too, it does. There's other deals you might want to consider. Irrigation system which is important. How are we going to water this stuff? Yeah? And another thing is lighting. What's going to look like at night? So we do all that stuff too. There's engineering involved with all that. It's kind of like wiring your house, speaking of which we have a customer.
Speaker 3: We put a sprinker system in thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: It was working fine until lightning hit the house and blew the tim around it.
Speaker 3: It's sent it clean across the garage.
Speaker 4: And it's I can't get any continuity on the wiring. I'm going on trying to go through their meters and trying to figure out what is wrong with this thing.
Speaker 2: Well, it got hit by lightning, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think it caused some rather stern damage to the wiring, the wiring system.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know the these sprinklers how they were because they have a diaphragm and then the spring on the top and a solenoid on the on the downside of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when when the.
Speaker 4: When the solar that pops up, the water pressure on the top of the diaphragm gets lower than on the bottom, and the diaphragm pops up and the water goes through and then like lives likewise, when the solo and it shuts, the pressure builds up on the top and shuts the water too. So what's happened is these coils have all burned out. The lightning has just literally uh just and they have real small wires in them. And when we did the system years ago, we had a grounding rod on it too to ground it out, and it just just too much wow, and just fried the whole thing. So I've been working when I got the time, with the ometers and wired wire detectors and all that to try to determine the problem. And I think I've got it centered.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, good.
Speaker 4: There's the wire goes through a conduit in the in the garage and I think it's happened in there. It just used it, so any good, So we'll see what happens from that.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping it's not a completely rewire.
Speaker 2: Job too, but not either.
Speaker 4: Funny thing to find the valves, uh usually when I when I pace out the sprinkler heads, I use use my feet and the sprinkler heads are ten steps apart. Okay, So we were able to track the wire. Then I followed that line and went ten paces.
Speaker 3: There was a.
Speaker 2: Valve right there, right there.
Speaker 3: I was in about thirties. Then we got a color we do.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. Your question or comment for Larry Glass.
Speaker 13: Yes, have you heard about the firefly.
Speaker 3: Platoons firefly petunias? Yeah, not really yet. It's something something new, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, it's it's it's a flower.
Speaker 4: It's a.
Speaker 3: Petunia.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, it grows, but it glows at nice fascinating.
Speaker 2: Wow, that does sound pretty cool.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not familiar with that variety. No, okay, okay, I just.
Speaker 4: Wanted it sounds fascinating. Really glowing the dark petunias. Well, you'll have all the malls covering around them at.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it was a place that carris Is home depot or.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Well we'll have to look into that. Maybe we can get something. All right, we're growing.
Speaker 4: Bubble gum petunias to no end right now. We got our second wave Yeah, so what those those are really good sellers to So all right, thanks for calling glowing the dark glowing on our plants?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Who needs outdoor lighting? Just plant these petunias there.
Speaker 2: You let nature do it.
Speaker 3: Except in the winter time.
Speaker 1: There run road.
Speaker 4: Anyway, landscape. He gives a big investment. You want to do it right the first time? Lighting systems though, you say, okay, I need ten lights and there are five months apiece, so we need a fifty lot transformer.
Speaker 3: Wrong, you need one hundred a lot transformer.
Speaker 4: It's got to have a little muscle in it because it's got to go places. Low voltage lighting system is relatively and inefficient, and voltage drops pretty quickly, so you want to overdo it a little bit, put some average in it.
Speaker 3: Even though even though the LED lights too.
Speaker 4: You need to make sure that the wiring is proper, it's all the way where it needs. You know, you need a twelve gauge wire at least, and if you've got a big system, we did one well. We ran ten gauge wire, even on LEDs because we didn't want the the front doors right in the middle of the front of the house and we didn't want to have this big shiny box to the front door, so we put it around to the side so it's not seen. And we had to run duplicate wires so you get enough ampriage even though they're LEDs, to get enough amverage to go to the other side of it into the house. It works out just fine, my goodness. So it's it's like a lot of things use electrical engineering. Someone you have to have the proper sized wire stuff for that too, So so.
Speaker 3: That's kind of important too. Kind of the same thing with irrigation.
Speaker 4: If you have a your math, a bunch of circuits, and yeah, you have to do a little bit of math to get the pipe sides right. We're doing one that's a fairly large system and we're putting a two inch loop in And I said, why are you using you two inch? I said, keep the pipeline velocity down so your valves was shut properly.
Speaker 2: If you have a slamming all the time.
Speaker 4: Great high speed uh water going through a pipe and it shuts down that well, that doubles back into the house.
Speaker 3: If you're connected that way.
Speaker 4: And I've been to many people's house where that you can tell whether the sprinkle shuts off by the clattering in the garage.
Speaker 3: So you've got to engineer it in private. They'll last a lot longer.
Speaker 4: This This is why we've had him in the ground for thirty some years and they still work.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unlet's get hit by lightning.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, okay, that.
Speaker 1: Case plays the lottery perenhills right now.
Speaker 3: You should see some emergence on most of all your perennials now I know.
Speaker 4: My hawsters are up like crazy right now. They're coming up everywhere, and some of the others are too early to see.
Speaker 3: Any emergence at all.
Speaker 4: On the already have biscuits, although a little bit of it here and there's coming up. And the elephant ears it'll be made before they come up. And the Canada's kind of the same way. They'll be up a little bit later.
Speaker 3: So most of the apprentials, like I said, are starting to grow. Hookrah is up really good right now.
Speaker 4: Like I mentioned the hostess, somebody said, well, my hostas aren't up yet. Well, they're probably in an area that doesn't get much sunlight and a little bit later so it's just cool in that area, so they'll be They're pretty reliable. So and my lilies gollay, they're me high right now, really popped up. Yeah, I can't wait for those to start blooming. So that leads to our prinial of the week, which is hookrah. Yeah, hookrah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Giving the Eastern European version.
Speaker 4: Horah yeah anyway, hookah or also called the chatterbox.
Speaker 3: It's also called corbells.
Speaker 4: It's very easy to grow perennial and they've had fun really doing the breeding on these different colored leaves. Some of them are dark purple, and there's a region and a red one and a lime green. It's a kind of interesting plants. The blossom show isn't really too significant on leaves.
Speaker 3: But what really shows off of the color of the leaves.
Speaker 4: Now, the good thing about these plants is they grow in the shade and part of seven they give you some color, some leaf color in the shade, but not having to replayed it every year. So they're pretty cool plants as far as that's concerned. Because and they tend to grow and multiply and get larger, so that's pretty cool about that too. So I use them in landscapes in partly sunny areas and they do quite well for people.
Speaker 3: And they have the flowers come up.
Speaker 4: Are kind of a very delicate and small and kind of nice looking flowers too.
Speaker 3: But these are plants that you plant them and forget them.
Speaker 4: Really pretty good, easy to grow, not really any pests to speak of. They don't like heavy soil, so I don't plant them in the clay because they will rode away into clay.
Speaker 3: And they're upright now.
Speaker 4: They come up very early in the spring, so pretty good plants they're deceiving are such a durable planet. So they're just the leaf shape, the delicacy of the lead shape. It's kind of deceiving as far as it's durability. It doesn't look like something that should be as durable as it is. And really we've planted them in situations where there's been a deer around it.
Speaker 3: They don't seem to like them.
Speaker 4: So if you deer are eating your houses or your other plants, you might consider some of our hookraf.
Speaker 3: Yes, as you say, hooker plants, so it does prefer well.
Speaker 4: Drained soil and at least have sun for them to do well, so they'll do okay. Cool tree the week this week, of course, is one that everybody's favorite. We're selling them very quickly right now. Or Japanese maples, and it gets about twenty by twenty feet.
Speaker 3: And there are some varieties. To stay small.
Speaker 4: If you want someone close to out, you might consider maybe a dissection of Japanese.
Speaker 1: Maple rather than how big to those good.
Speaker 4: Dissect them, you have to six feet tall. And there are some smaller varieties. I don't remember the name of them right now, but there are some miniature kind of varieties of Japanese maples too, and these have a very very obvious appearance at this point.
Speaker 3: They're really very showy. Actually, it're quite pretty.
Speaker 8: And.
Speaker 4: They're primarily grown for its red to purple foliage and it's unusual growth habit. When picking one out, my advice is don't pick out one that's straight. They gotta all be crooked because of the branching is very picturesque, if you will, even in the wintertime.
Speaker 3: I have one in my backyard.
Speaker 4: We have these big windows that look back there, and it's really even in the winter time, it's really nice to look at because of the shape of.
Speaker 3: The branching company up.
Speaker 4: Too, So don't worry about picking out a straight one. Ain't gonna happen. You're not growing two buffers, you're growing. So it's effective. Japanese maples like a well drained area, well drained fertile soil. They seem to tolerate a fairly good variety of soil pH as far as that's concerned. Fertilized in early spring with a sixteen eight eight fertilizer or used to morgan it works very well for them too. I don't I have one in my backyard that's about eight feet tall, about eight feet wide, and it's been moved three times because because of the dynamics of the drainage problems and stuff done.
Speaker 3: Its in the backyard and I.
Speaker 4: Never fertilize it and it just gets whatever water in the sprinker system, the drip system gets on it. So they're a very low care plant. They have to be for them to survive at my yard.
Speaker 2: Do they need a lot of sunlight?
Speaker 4: Part sun part now, it wasn't part soun until the freeze cut off water ropes.
Speaker 3: So but it's adapted itself very.
Speaker 4: Well to the to the environment, and it looks very good right now, and it looks good all summer long too.
Speaker 3: So just a light fertilization will do pretty well.
Speaker 4: And you want to water it course thoroughly after if you apply fertilizer, you're a good heavy watering after fertile fer them. So the fertilizer gets diffused around. And when you do fertilize, keep it away from the trunk, go out to the drip line. The tree cannot utilize the fertilizer close to the trunk like that, it won't work and actually it'll burn the burn the trunk and kill the planet. Oh so you want it away from it? If you have doubts about it, maybe use a liquid fertilizer perhaps, but keep it away from the trunk.
Speaker 3: Say over and over again at the drip line.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a little bit of a time out. We'll be back in two minutes.
Speaker 6: Did you know Green Dum Nursery in green houses. It's home to Burloskill's largest selection to plants. Green Thumb has the best selection of tropical plants that would be a great addition to your home. Check out the new shipments of trees and shrubs arriving weekly and perennials ready to plant. Trying to plant your garden with onion and potatoes. Has cabbage, broccoli, and Brussels frusce, and don't forget the strawberry plants too. Open Monday through Saturday, nine to five, noon to five on Sunday. Green Thumb Nurse Me and Greenhouses on.
Speaker 3: The what a Road?
Speaker 7: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps.
Speaker 2: In my yard?
Speaker 8: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 9: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 8: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 7: What's that number.
Speaker 10: It's nine one eight three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 9: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 10: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 6: Join k w NAM fourteen hundred FM ninety three point three at ninety five point one four consumer calls on the road from nine to noon today. Consumer calls will be broadcasting from the Phillips sixty six parking Lot for Operation Clean House, sponsored by the Barblesfield Community Foundation. This recycling event is a great way to dispose of your hazardous household waste in an environmentally responsible way, free of charge. Choose your location based on the material you're disposing.
Speaker 3: Phillip sixty six.
Speaker 6: Parking Lot or Washington County District to barn In doing its Operation Clean House.
Speaker 12: Retirement, I've thought about it, but it's too late for me to save.
Speaker 13: With AVO a retirement coach, it's never too late.
Speaker 3: Where can I learn more?
Speaker 12: It is retire at dot org today.
Speaker 6: A message from AARP and the ad council.
Speaker 1: Okay eight and it's the Green Country Gardener program. And our phone line is open at one eight hundred and seven nine three six.
Speaker 4: Now the Japanese maple is available in several configurations.
Speaker 3: And colors too.
Speaker 2: What a wonderful tree.
Speaker 4: Exactly the one we know of as an atripladum. Then there's an arapoul made them dissect them. Yeah, there's a ath emotional Binnie and all these different names. Tango cuckoo, it's another one. It has a purple foliage on it, a purple stem or not purple peak peak stem and tango cracko and kind of a real light green colors leave on good interesting contrast to between the green and the pink. That's a pretty cool plant. And there's some very gated ones. The names go on and on and on. So so you'd come by and cruise the jack maples and see I see one what you like. Really keep in mind a like number one, good drainage, number two, pretty good soil number three, planets at the closest to the house five feet okay five absolute closest, that's that's far apart, which is really close for the house.
Speaker 3: I like to go ten feet.
Speaker 4: Ten feet away from the house. Yeah, you know, it looks kind of funny at first. You get this little plant ten feet away from the house, but you drive around and look at the Japanese maples and just see.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: You gotta wait about three or four years for it really start to make a good show unless you start with a big one.
Speaker 3: Good luck. The funny thing you happened, we were I've met up with a guy over.
Speaker 4: In Circle Mountain. He was remodeling his house. He's adding onto the house, and you had this really big, uh weeping Japanese maple.
Speaker 3: Any wanted to save it, so come on, you can look at this, okay?
Speaker 4: Sure, So we came out, got some flywood and some palletts, dug all around it, and got the forklift underneath it, listed up and put it on this pallette and hauled it away, set it on the ground at the nursery and put some rocks around it, make it kind of nice looking, and let the roots girl out. Three years later, he said it's time for my Japanese maple. I said, sure, so we he had somebody to come get it, which, oh god.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we agreed on a certain amount. He he wants to pay any pay for that, you know, for taking care of it all that, and then it's his worker brought it over there and he killed it.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh that's heart, I said.
Speaker 4: We gladly brought our forklift out there and done it properly. He says, I know. But so anyway, so that's that story too. But they can be moved. Actually we have moved and I have moved Japanese maples in July before. Oh, they said, and they wilt and they whine about it all day long, but it came out again. It's just fine. So they're kind of easy to transplant. In other words, Okay, so they can't because they have a very fibers your hands like this in the system. Some of the trees have just a few roots, but this has a very dense close end brit system. So if you do make a mistake and plant it two feet away from.
Speaker 2: The house, you can go back and correct correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the proper tools and proper professional health.
Speaker 3: Even in July.
Speaker 4: In July, when I moved into my house, there's a dog wood tree planted one foot from the house. So I dug it up, put it in the backyard between the house and the shed. Now it's about twenty feet tall, doing very well. I never water it, never fertilized it.
Speaker 1: That's just fine, and all things good grow on the yard.
Speaker 4: I had a little pistage tree come up on its own in the backyard too, in the crack of the cement.
Speaker 3: That's a pistage tree.
Speaker 4: So I've planted in the front yard and it sat there and whined and complained for six weeks or so.
Speaker 3: Then it started to grow. Now the trunk is this big around.
Speaker 2: You know, fat and jassy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's a big old thing and shaves my truck when you get home from nice. So these plants can be moved. But when you do transplant something, even though it's gonna wilt a little bit, don't water it too much. Just keep the soil level moderately moist. It will send out some roots and it will grow. Okay, too much watering can cause a rotting of the riots and actually kill it. So it doesn't hurt things. In other words, doesn't hurt things to wilt a little bit. When you transplant something, putting more water and more water, it creates an anaerobic situation on the ground and causes them.
Speaker 1: To die, drown and die rot. That's a good thing, so they'll do that. We're going to take another break. This will be a three minute time out. We'll be back.
Speaker 14: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in heartcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings, Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org, slash st John.
Speaker 7: Hart, Jane Phillips, and Bartlesville.
Speaker 15: Shortly after Charles Lenberg's transatlantic flight to Europe, the Dole Pineapple Company sponsored a race from San Francisco to Honolulu in nineteen twenty seven. Len Berg refused to fly in it, noting he couldn't miss the continent of Europe, but he sure as heck could miss Hawaii. Frank Phillips saw the race as a great opportunity to advertise.
Speaker 7: His new Phillips Aviation fuel.
Speaker 15: Frank found his pilot, a Hollywood stunt pilot by the name of Arthur Goebbels, and named his plane the Wollarock in honor of the ranch. Eight planes took off from San Francisco on August sixteenth, nineteen twenty seven, and only two planes finished the race. The flight took over twenty six hours and the winner was the Woolarock. Charles Lindbergh described it as the greatest event in air history. For the next year, that plane barnstormed the country advertising Philip's fuel and finally returned to Woolarock. Mister Phillips instructed his staff to build a stone hanger for the airplane, which they did, and he stored the plane there. As he collected more and more art and artifacts, he stored a lot of it in that hangar until he finally had to enlarge it. Today, you know that airplane hangar is the first room of the museum as you walk out of the dome room. Next time you visit, remember what that room's initial purpose was back in nineteen twenty eight. That same airplane hangs proudly today in the museum at Wallarock, where magic still happens every day. Welcome home to Wallarock.
Speaker 16: It's Cabota Orange Days from America's number one selling compactractor to zero turnovers in the versatile RTVS gets your perfect match delivered to your door, like the L thirty three to oh two tractor that will make your property dreams of reality. Hi Mike Maddics from Romans Outdoor Power now through June thirtieth, twenty twenty five gets zero down zero percent APR for eighty four miles or up to three thousand dollars off select compact tractor.
Speaker 3: See the details at Cabota.
Speaker 16: Orange Days dot com see US or go to Cabota USA dot com for full disclaimer.
Speaker 3: Roman's Outdoor Power.
Speaker 16: You're Cabota Dealer Highway seventy five, Partlesville Independence on online at Okikbota dot com.
Speaker 17: Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 10: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war.
Speaker 2: They're going to need voices.
Speaker 3: Perilized Veterans of America represents.
Speaker 17: Them changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, the TVA dot org a public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 1: Alright, Yeah, here it is a fifty seven, three minutes before nine o'clock and it is the Green Country Gardener program. Larry Glass, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Another thing that's the popular right now, clematis vines. You have a great selection of colmatis vines right now. Clematis will grow in the sun, but they don't like hot feet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't like hot That's why I have all these holes in my boot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit la.
Speaker 1: So how do you make sure that the plant that's above ground gets the sunlight without getting well, you put the.
Speaker 4: You put some other plants around it, You put some annual annuals around it. Yeah, they kind of shield it from the hot sun. And a lot of moulch helps a lot too, because they did for some odd reason, they just don't tolerate the really hot soil. So I've seen people on the west side of the house, in the middle of the open with Clematis plans absolutely covered in blooms. But around them they have maybe some mandinas or some boxwoods or dwarfield ponds or something, don't make me laugh, to help shield the roots from the hot side. And then they'll do. I had some of my house we moved in on the west side of the house and it was doing fine, but I took out some of the shrubs that were just and it got too hot. Yeah, I have to give it another shot now that my other shrubs are grown up a little bit.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so they do very well.
Speaker 4: They don't like shade though, and a lot of people mistakenly put him in the shade. They don't bloom with a dirn so the do need some sunshine east side to do fine. Of a fenced west side. East side of the west side of these also do fine, but keep in mind they don't like hot feet.
Speaker 2: They don't like hot feet.
Speaker 4: So climatis are available all kinds of colors and flowering configurations and so on. So they make a very attractive thing of the landscape. The planting upon a trellis or something, and they boom for a pretty long period of time too. So clematis it's remember a renunculus family or buttercup family, and the word is from the Greek word meaning vine, the renunculacea. Okay, so it's very easy to grow kind of reliable perennial too. Sometimes though they might eventually just sort of die out and you sort of replace them. I mean, like a lot of things, they don't last forever. So if it's declining, you might consider getting another one. Perhaps a parallel to that that will take the hot soil is the red honeysuckle. I don't think we have any right now, but the red honeysuckle has red flowers on it, and it has a very deep struggle in it. Hummybirds really like it too. Anyway, Tom H, looks like we're about to run out of time, aren't we.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 4: We get the chatting and we just forget all about. But anyway, keep your shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 11: Truity credit Union a better way to bank where members always come first.
Speaker 1: Experienced the credit union difference today