Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: Here's Amy King. It's five o'clock. Welcome to your Tuesday, July thirtieth. I know everybody says this when we get to the end of the month, but oh my god, can you believe that July is almost over? Means August and school just around the corner. Thanks for joining us on your wake up call. Hope you're ready for a big day. We got lots going on. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. A fire that started around noon day in Riverside County has quickly grown to thirty seven hundred acres in Iguanga, east of Temecula. Evacuation orders have been issued for several neighborhoods, and evacuation center has been set up at Temecula Valley High School. South Pasadena has become the first city in the US with an all ev police fleet. The twenty new teslas were unveiled yesterday, along with nearly three dozen charging stations. City officials say gas powered police cars produce more harmful emissions than most vehicles because of how much they idled during traffic stops and while responding to calls. The US men's gymnastics team has broken a sixteen year dry spell, winning bronze at the Paris Olympics. Japan won gold in the men's final, China takes home the silver. Frederick Richard and Paul Judah will each compete in the men's all around final four Team USA. Later this week, we're going to get the latest from Paris on what happened yesterday and what's coming up today with ABC's Inez de la Katera. That's at five twenty. We also have the Chief Master Sergeant of the Space Force in town. He's stopping by wake Up Call to talk about Space Force and also our favorite astronaut and Space Force Guardian, Colonel mckhaigu, who's we've been talking to for a few months about his trip to the International Space Station. We'll find out the latest on his mission and the mission of Space Force and what it does to protect us. So we're also going to learn how to money with Joel Larsgard always gives us such good advice. Now, if we would just follow it. We're going to do that a little later than normal normally he's at five twenty. He's going to be at five point fifty today, and then right after wake up called six o five's handle on the news. Former President Trump's going to sit down with the FBI to be interviewed about his assassination attempt. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. So cow Gas has made good on plans to shut down or shut off service to more than one hundred and thirty homes in Rancho Palace Verdies because of landslides. Despite protests from residents and city officials.
Speaker 4: People living along Portuguese Bend were notified Friday after new that their gas would be turned off so workers could relocate more than six hundred feet of pipeline. This woman has lived in the area for nearly twenty years and says the community has been blindsided.
Speaker 1: And you know the gas supplies the heating, and you know your stoves, your washing machines, everything.
Speaker 4: The gas company says continuous land movement has put underground infrastructure at risk. Shut off started yesterday morning, and the company has not mentioned when or if service will be restored.
Speaker 1: Chris Adler KFI News locals wanted the utility to delay the shut offs so they could have some more time to set up gas alternatives. An LAPD officer caught on camera punching a handcuffed black man and Watts has been removed from field duty. Civil rights advocate Nag Ali says the video speaks for itself, and he and others have called on the DA's office to file charges.
Speaker 5: We have to hold these bad office accountable.
Speaker 1: Ali says the black community is not anti police. They just want good police.
Speaker 2: One officers to come in to protect us, not to abuse us.
Speaker 1: It's not clear what prompted the arrest of the man Sunday, but an investigation is underway. A magnitude four point nine earthquake is hit near Barstow, causing some vertigo in southern California.
Speaker 6: It was an adult we kind of we rocked enrolled for a good couple of seconds.
Speaker 1: This woman, who lives in the area says she thought a semi truck was driving passed yesterday before she realized it was actually an earthquake. She says it was more like swaying than shaking. The quake was also felt in parts of La Burbank and Pasadena. There were also a couple of aftershocks. Delta Airlines is looking to recoup some of its losses from the recent software issue that left travelers stranded for like a week because of flight cancelations and delays. Delta has hired a law firm and will reportedly seek compensation from both Microsoft and CrowdStrike, which provided the faulty software update. The outage could cost Delta hundreds of millions of dollars. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, this is pretty big news. You blood test can detect Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very accurate. This all comes out of a conference of Alzheimer's specialists. They met this past week in Philadelphia and talked about advances that have been made, and one of the most interesting is this blood test. It's being tried out in Sweden. That's where they tried it on twelve hundred patients and it showed remarkable accuracy at detecting Alzheimer's early early on. It's called a PE talk two seventeen. That's what it's looking for. It's looking for that particular component in the blood and that could indicate plaque build up that somebody has. And the plaque build up is of course what we know is the source of Alzheimer's. Once it progresses so far on this plaque build up the brain, the memory is just it's terrible. So yes, now that the job is to ramp up production of this particular blood test because some of the new and promising treatments for Alzheimer's, the ones that can either halt it, maybe prevent it even in the future, really slow the progression. They require very early detection of Alzheimer's once you start showing symptoms and may be too late for these promising treatments. So this blood test is crucial in the next step of trying to combat Alzheimer's amy.
Speaker 1: I just think so it's it's going to be a little bit tricky, I would think, because, like you said, you have to catch it early, yes, or you can't. And they don't have a cure for Alzheimer's, so they're still obviously working on that. But what what do.
Speaker 7: They have, Well, they do have any these promising drugs that can either slow the progression of Alzheimer's, may do more than that, I think they're a little hesitant to make too many promises about it, but they are showing progress and promise in combating Alzheimer's. So your kids, your grandkids, I think, you know, they're going to be in a much better environment in terms of Alzheimer's prevention and care. And so, yeah, these new drugs are showing remarkable prom but unless you can catch it early, catch the disease early, then they're worthless. So that's really been the key here. And also, okay, so let's say the blood the blood test is totally you know, it's effective in actually predicting Alzheimer's, and this test is about ninety one percent effective in catching Alzheimer's according to the specialists who've looked at it. And so once that's done, then the test can be distributed to your general care physician, your primary care physician. Right now, they don't have it available. So if you go to your regular doctor, they do a blood draw, they're looking at the lipids and they're looking at components of the drug of the blood that they can now this PETAH two seventeen test. Once it's in the hands of general practitioners, they can give this test to people who suspect they might be vulnerable if they have a family history of Alzheimer's. Right right now, it's just not available. And so yeah, I think that it's that there's real promise out there that more people. I mean, there are what is six million Americans who have Alzhemer's just terrible, and millions and millions more around the world. This could be a real breakthrough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's going to be interesting because the other big news from yesterday was that they've got a blood test that can detect colon cancer. Now it's just rolling out or about to roll out. I think the FDA just approved it. It'll be interesting to see what other blood tests are going to eventually be able to diagnose these diseases and make it easier to catch them early without doing colonoscopies and mammograms and all you know things that prostate exams, things that people are they put off because they're uncomfortable.
Speaker 7: Sure, and in the most the most accurate way of diagnosing Alzheimer's is through either a spinal tap or a PET scan. I spinal tap is uncompany, it's really it's tough to do. The pet scan is extremely expensive, so specialists are hesitant. So if it can take it just a simple blood test in the future. Yeah, it's amazing what we're learning about this stuff running through our veins after all these centuries. That may make life better here on Earth.
Speaker 1: Okay, and do we know when it's going to be available or is it already out unavailable?
Speaker 7: It's not yet. But there are companies now that are I guess speculating or they're banking quite literally on the approval of this at the FDA level. So companies like Elight, Lily, Roach, CN two Diagnostics, there are companies that are working on this already ramping up production of it, and it'll be ready to go once it gets approval.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much. We love big, good news like this absolutely. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A dozen more beaches are off limits because of high bacteria levels in the water. The Ellie County Department of Public Health is warning people to avoid swimming, surfing, and playing in the water at beaches that include Paradise Cove, Las Flora State Beach, surf Wrider Lagoon, and Malibu Mother's Beach and the Santa Monica peer signs are posted, and the complete list is on the Department of Public Health's website. La Kenny Sheriff's investigators are trying to identify a woman whose body was found floating in a canal and Carson.
Speaker 8: Lieutenant Mike Modica says the woman's body suffered severe trauma. The body was found Sunday night by someone walking by.
Speaker 5: A preas at the Carson station had an informant come into their station.
Speaker 9: Lobby who said he saw a body floating in the Domingus Channel.
Speaker 8: Modica says because the Domingus channels nearly sixteen miles long, it's not clear where along the way the body was dumped. And Modica says, because of the condition of the body, was impossible to identify the woman's race on scene. Steve Gregor tay if I knows.
Speaker 1: A man who tried to set a fire in a mid City house has been shot and killed by LAPD officers. Plise said the guy was part of a group that broke into a home yesterday. Three of the people were arrested. The LAPED says the fourth guy barricaded himself inside and tried to set the home on fire. He eventually came out and was allegedly holding a large knife when he was shot. A fire is damaged the Big Air trampoline in a venture park in Buena Park, Orange County. Fire thirty Captain Robert Reid says the fire appears to have started in a six foot deep ball pit at the trampoline park shortly before noon yesterday. Several businesses in the city's downtown area had to be evacuated as firefighters worked to put the flames out. No one was hurt. A study shows wildfire smoke could be worse for brain health than other forms of air pollution. The findings were reported at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference in Philadelphia, which got underway Sunday.
Speaker 8: The study finding the odds of dementia increased by twenty one percent for every one microgram increase in wildfire particles.
Speaker 1: ABC's Alex Stone says researchers tracked health records from one point two million older adults in southern California between two thousand and nine and twenty nineteen. A Republican congresswoman from Orange County says her office may have been vandalized a second time by pro Palestinian protesters.
Speaker 2: Erk Republican Congresswoman Michelle Steele says her office was vandalized with pro Hamas literature in January, then a rock thrown through her office window on Friday. Steele also claims she's received dozens of calls from protesters recently demanding she not attend Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanya, who's addressed to Congress. Steele says violence has no place in society and no amount of it will stop her from doing what she believes is right for families in southern California.
Speaker 1: In Orange County, Corbin Carson KFI News text messages between law enforcement before former President Trump's assassination attempt in Pennsylvania show officers raised concerns ninety minutes before the shooting. The documents released by Republican Senator Chuck Grassley's office show one officer saying he saw a kid looking toward the stage with a rangefinder. He also sent a photo of the guy telling snipers to look out because he lost sight of him. It ended up being the shooter. A team of doctors is working in Paris to keep Team USAY in good shape for the Olympics. Texas Children's Hospital surgeon doctor Jeffrey Schultz says, it's always busy in the Olympic village.
Speaker 5: Illness overwhelmingly is what keeps athletes out, just general viral illnesses and colds and so forth.
Speaker 1: Shild says prep for the Summer Games starts way in advance.
Speaker 3: We make sure each athlete has all they need to be the top.
Speaker 1: Level, he says. They're also there to support the athletes mentally. Texas Children's Hospital is one of four national partners joining the teams this year. Shild has worked with Olympic athletes since the twenty sixteen Games in Rio. When we come back, we're going to Paris to talk with and As de la Getera about all the metals Team USA is racking up and what's in store for today at the Summer Olympic Games. The Dodgers are in San Diego to take on the Padres tonight, with first pitch going out at six forty. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. President Biden has called for eighteen year term limits for Supreme Court justices and for putting in place a code of ethics for the justices. At a speech at the LG LBJ Presidential Library yesterday, the President also proposed a constitutional amendment to limit immunity for presidents that was just granted by the Supreme Court. Members of the three unions representing about fourteen thousand Disneyland employees have voted to ratify a new contract, which means the threat of a strike at the happiest place on Earth is over ride. Operators, store clerks, custodians and more will get pay in seniority increases and also new attendance and sick leave policies. Southern California has been rattled by a four point nine magnitude earthquake. It was followed by a couple of after shocks. The strongest was a three point five The quake, shortly after one pm yesterday, was centered near Barstow. It was felt as far away as Pasadena and Burbank, more than one hundred miles away. At six oh five at s Handle. On the news, VP Harris and soon to be presidential candidate. Harris has one less person to choose from in her potential pool of running mates. Right now, it's time to say good morning to ABC's in ESD look at Terra in Paris Boure. We had a pretty big day yesterday for Team USA, he did, Yeah, you want to tell us about it?
Speaker 6: I see, I'm waiting for the question. Yes, we did. The men's gymnastics team getting the bronze, which is the first time they want to meddle in sixteen years. So that was very exciting because I feel like anytime we talk about gymnastics, we're usually talking about the women's team and Simone Files and so it was cool to see the men getting their time to shine. So they hadn't done so well in qualification, so this is really a massive comeback for them. You had Brody Malone who had fallen during qualifications. He redeemed himself on high bar and pummelled Freddie Richards was on fire. And then it all came down to Stephen Nederoschik, who had won event the pummel routine. He was actually specifically chosen to be on Team USA for that routine, and he absolutely nailed it, so they did take home the bronze.
Speaker 1: They're calling him Superman today because Stephen he stayed off by himself before he took to the to the pommel horse, and he had his kind of Clark Kent looking sunglass or not sunglasses on, but glasses on, and he only takes them off when he goes and competes.
Speaker 7: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love what what the crowd picks up on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: That's a great that's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: That was. That was a lot of fun. And then today we shift back to the women and it's time for Team USA to go win gold in gymnastics at least.
Speaker 6: Oh great, So, yes, that's right. Simone Biles is, you know, all eyes on her. She's going to be competing in all four events, even with her lower leg injury, so we were, you know, kind of worried about that over the weekend. When she made her first Paris twenty twenty four appearance, she was seen kind of struggling at times, limping. We initially thought it was because of a weird landing during warm ups. She had to have her ankle kind of taped up. We later found out from her coach that it was a lower leg injury that you've been kind of dealing with for the last few weeks. But they really downplated and they said there was never any discussion of having her not compete, and clearly over the weekend she did amazingly well, landed two of her signature moves, got an incredible score on vault, so it doesn't appear to be affecting her. So even with that, she will be competing in all four events. Some sad news for the team's youngest athlete, Heslie Rivera. She will not be competing in any of the events today, but still high hopes for the rest of the team. We'll see how they do. They are favored to win a medal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hesley's just sixteen. And Okay, so I want to talk about Simone for just a second, because I was watching the women's qualifying again yesterday, and when you watch a performance and you see one of the athletes do like what appears to be an almost perfect performance, and then you see Simone Biles do a performance, and she she did a couple of major missteps. She stepped out of the of off the mat in the floor and she took a huge step back in her vault, but it didn't matter.
Speaker 6: Why she lands these incredible moves that no one can really pull off, her signature moves, and you know, I think that that has a lot to do with it. She you know, and and and and and just see the strength that she has. She's she's she's incredible. I think it was all the more incredible considering you know that that injury we're a little bit worried about. But but yeah, so we'll see how she does today and for the rest of the week. But certainly all eyes on her.
Speaker 1: Because she's the only one doing those So even if she gets deductions when she does them, that's right, no one else can do them. Okay. Uh. Swimming is also moving along fast and furious, and Team USA is racking up some metals in the.
Speaker 8: Pool, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so there were lots of swimming events yesterday. We spoke to Nick Fink, who is the silver medalist in the men's one hundred meters brustros. It was really cool to talk to him. He's on the older side for athletes. He's just thirty one, but considered to be a little bit older. There and he came very close to winning a medal in Tokyo, but he didn't and then did get the silver this time around, so very exciting for him. We were chatting about what he thinks got him over the edge, was what the difference was between Tokyo and Paris. And interestingly, he says his life has kind of changed in recent years. He is married, he is a baby on the way, he's got a nine to five engineering job, and he feels like having that balance is really what just has put him in the right mindset and has made all the difference. So kind of interesting to learn about that. And just on the swimming front, knew this morning is that they've had to cancel the men's triumph on events that was said to be held in the Said. We were talking about this yesterday. There were training session in the triathlon, training sessions that were meant to be held in the Said on Sunday and Monday that have be canceled due to poor water quality because of heavy rains recently. Olympics organizers were insisting that by today everything would be fine, but it wasn't and so they did have to postpone that event. It will now be held tomorrow along with the women's triathlon. It is going to rain later today those so it seems highly unlikely to sty'll be able to hold those events in the sud.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll just have to watch and wait for that. We know gymnastics is happening, and I think that's what most eyes are going to be on today, and I know you have to run. Thank you so much, and as de la Katerra, we'll talk to you tomorrow to get the latest from Paris. Thank you. Okay, all revol Now let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The first all electric police fleet is now rolling around the streets of South Pasadena.
Speaker 3: The fleet consists of twenty Tesla's, ten of which are model wise to be used as patrol cars.
Speaker 5: They're the safest vehicles made with the lowest probability of injury, so we're really happy, happy to be able to put our officers and cars that are the safest out there.
Speaker 3: South Pasadena Police Sergeant Tony Abdallas says the cars also have better acceleration in breaking than the city's old fleet. The Teslas were rolled out in a ceremony yesterday. The cars were not purchased, but rather least over a five year term in South Pasadena Blake Trolly k if I News.
Speaker 1: The federal judges ordered UCLA to create a plan to protect Jewish students months after pro Palestinian protests broke out on campus. Three Jewish students sued the university in June, alleging they experienced discrimination during the demonstrations against the Israel Hamas War. The university has until next month to put together its plan on how to make students feel safe, welcome, and free from intimidation, discrimination and harassment. Lawmakers in Texas have grilled utility executives over the slow response to Hurricane Beryl. State Senator Paul Bettencourt was at the hearing in Austin yesterday and says it took Center Point Energy more than a week to restore power to more than two million people who love during the storm.
Speaker 9: Makes my blood boil is the fact that we're having to have a hearing to hear about a whole bunch of people that did their job right, but the biggest, multi billion dollar corporation, we're having to tell them how to do your job.
Speaker 1: Officials say fourteen of the thirty eight people who died died specifically because of the power outage. Lawmakers in Turkey have approved a law to remove millions of stray dogs from the streets. Animal lovers say they fear the law will lead to many stray dogs being killed or ending up in neglected, overcrowded shelters. Demonstrators across Turkey have called for the scrapping of the so called massacre law, which would allow some stray animals to be euthanized. The opposition says it will seek its cancelation in court. I hope they get something to figure something out on that millions of stray dogs. We think we have it bad here. Target has announced a denim trade in program just in time for back to school shopping. Starting on Sunday. Customers can take a U used denim item of any brand in any condition to a Target store and trade it for a twenty percent off coupon for any new denim purchase. The company says it will recycle the used denim into new products. The offer runs through August ten. Evacuation warnings have been lifted for the town of Paradise that they are relieved the town was wiped out in a fire in twenty eighteen and has been threatened in the fire that's burning in northern California. That fire has burned three hundred and seventy thousand acres. Evacuation warnings were also lifted in Chico and Megalia. The fire that started less than a week ago is twelve percent surrounded. The La City Council may take a look at overriding Mayor Karen Bass's recent veto of a proposed ballot measure that would allow the police chief to fire officers for misconduct directly instead of having to go through a panel. Bass vetoed the council's decision to let voters decide the issue in November. City council returns from a month long recess today. O. J. Simpson's Heisman trophy, his golf club, ubs, and his high end SUV are among the items that are being auctioned off to raise money to pay civil claims. The auction announcement came a day after Fred Goldman filed a one hundred and seventeen million dollar creditor claim against Simpson's estate. Simpson died in April. Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman's families were awarded more than thirty three million dollars in a wrongful death lawsuit back in nineteen ninety seven. The families have yet to collect the money. Right now, we'd like to welcome to wake Up Call, chief Master Sergeant of the Space Force, John Bent Tavana. Good morning, So thank you so much for coming in to see us this morning, Chief Master Sergeant op. Now I got to do my job and turn on your microphone. Okay, now we can say good morning.
Speaker 5: Well, good morning again. Thanks for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So we wanted to have you in today because we've been talking to Colonel Haig and if you're a regular wake Up Call listener, you may recognize that name. He is a colonel the Space Force. He's a Space Force guardian and now he's kind of on loan to NASA because he is an astronaut and we'll be going up to the International Space Station and so we know he's with Space Force, and we know that Space Force was introduced five years ago, and in fact, this is the fifth year.
Speaker 5: In December is our fifth birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when everybody when it first came out, it was like, Okay, We've got Air Force, and we've got the Marines, and we've got the Army, but now we have Space Force, and I want to know more about what exactly Space Force does for us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks to the opportunity to talk about it. So, you know, how we explain a lot of times is think about how we live our daily lives, whether it be through GPS that we use on our phones. We use GPS to get her this morning as we were driving through downtown LA.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness because I didn't have very good directions for you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get lost without it. I've become so dependent right on technology. The financial sector, they use timing that comes from space, from the globe positioning system that the Space Force manage and runs. Think about the agricultural industry and whether they use not only for the weather satellites, but they use GPS as well to make sure that harvests are more effective and efficient. So not only is space critical to how we live our daily lives, but it's also critical to how we fight owars as well. So you know, in that context and thinking how congested and contested the domain has come of the last five to ten years, the decision was made we have to have subject matter experts that understand a domain, and like our mission statement says, can secure our nation's interests in from and to space because it's so vital to not only how we live our lives, but how we fight a wars as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then specifically, like you're basically, if I'm understanding it correctly, you're protecting those things. You're protecting the GPS satellites and making sure that nobody messes with them.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, you know, space superiority is afraid that we use. So it's not only to protect the assets that we have in space that allows us to live the way we do and fight that the way we do, but also other nations are investing in their space capabilities to use in targeting and use in military functions. So in addition to protecting our own, it's to deny our adversaries or you know, potential people want to harm us from using their systems, So retaining our ability to maximize what we have, but also taking away any any any opportunity that the adversary has.
Speaker 1: To use theirs as well, So we have the capability then of like blocking their systems from communicating with back on Earth.
Speaker 5: So there's a variety, variety of ways to get after the problem set. But now that we have such a commander experts who can look at the systems that other nations have, I mean, it could be it could be something as you know, could be cyber, it could be Connecticut, it could be a myriad of ways. When we talk about space superiority doesn't necessarily mean that it's actions that happen in space. It's just now you have a service dedicated to understanding what is happening there. Space demain awareness is one of the phrases one of the missions that we have that includes not only you know, tracking debris or things that are flying around the Earth like for example, I think this year alone, you know, we partner with NASA. I'll getting back to the Colonel Haig. I think we've notified NASA probably about four hundred times already this year of objects that may be coming in close proximity that could you know, connect or hit with the International Space Station. So we you know, notify NASA and they take whatever actions they need to do to make sure that human spaceflight is safe.
Speaker 1: Which is great because we want we want those astronauts safe up there.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Then Space Force real quick when it was announced, there's suddenly there's a new branch, Yes, of the military. How do you staff that up? Where'd you get everybody? Are they all new recruits or did they move over from different branches?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So myself, you know, I was in the United States Air Force for many years, twenty six years about, and I did space work for a preponderance of my career as an airman. So the law art's the initial seat, if you will. Were airmen who were in the Air Force doing space business that transitioned, We asked them everyone's volunteer was a volunteer, and no one was made to do this to come into the Space Force. But then to continue to fill the ranks, we offered individuals who were in the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps if they wanted to join, and they came over in hundreds. Now I say hundreds sounds like a small number, but you know, by the end of this year this year, in twenty four the Space Force, from a uniform guardian perspective, we're gonna have a little less than ten thousand nice so not a very large force, and about five thousand civilians that work.
Speaker 1: With US Okay. And then also when we think of the different bases, like we know that Vandenborg Vandenberg Air Force Base where a lot of the SpaceX rockets are launching from with the Starlink satellites and that kind of stuff, that is now Vandenberg Space for space it is. And then there's other bases around California that have converted to right here in.
Speaker 5: La So, La right now is called La Air Force Base still, but it's primarily run and occupied by Space Force because that's where we do a lot of our engineering and acquisition work. Here in La So. Space System's Command is one of our major commands, run by a three star general, General Garrant, is right here in La Okay.
Speaker 1: So fascinating. I love all of this stuff then, and I'm fascinated with space, which is why it's been such a treat to talk to Colonel Haig. So we know that he is scheduled to lift off and head to the International Space Station sometime next month at least that's the window that we have. Have they narrowed down a date on that yet or is that still under wraps?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So I think the targets still, you know, I think towards the middle of the end of August is still what we're hearing from Colonel Hag and from NASA as they work through all the logistics. I think in the interview that you had on with last week, I think maybe he was on there's a lot of work, right, this is rocket.
Speaker 1: Science, literally, this is rocket science.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's a lot of logistics, a lot of planning and coordination has to happen, So it's really hard to kind of have the pinpoints of specific date and time. But that window is still what we're shooting for.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then last time Colonel Haig and I talked, we had talked about the two astronauts who went up to the space station and we're supposed to go it for a week. They went up on the Boeing star Liner, and there's some issues with the star Liner, and so they are still up there. And now it's been has it been two months now? Almost two months? I think they went up on June six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a little more of extended stay than I think. There was a new plan. But I think even you know, a Colonel Haig had mentioned, you know, in this business, I mean, everything really is a test right, right, And they were testing the Starliner and testing the capability, testing how it docked with the International Space Station. And we got to make sure that as they go through figure everything works perfectly. So they're taking their time to figure out, you know, how that how that went, make sure the procedures to undock. But that's all you know, Boeing business. But the thing is, you know, we talk about space. It isn't like there's a test chamber here on Earth like you know, Colonel Haig talked about, you know, practicing space walks in a pool, but it's really not the same as any environment. So they're just taking precautionary measures to make sure the astronauts will be safe and they'll undock when they're ready to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then just a quick question about that. If they're still up there, can Colonel Haig and his team go up as well or do they would that be too crowded?
Speaker 5: Yes, that would be a question for NASA that I wouldn't be able to answer because it all depends on the logistics. And you know, I mean if they've had a number of people on the International Space Station before. But it's all about the supplies there logistics like what's the what's the condition of the space station?
Speaker 1: So that's a question for NASA, okay, And what what's your hope for Space Force?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I had a chance. In fact, I talked to Colonel Haige a few weeks ago. I asked them for some pointers because I was going to talk to some elementary school students about STEM and about you know, staying in school and kind of dreaming big and being explorers, and I was talking about space. You know, I'm a uniform member of the of the Profession of Arms, but when I think about space and all the unlimited potential that we have, you know, really, what what I want for space is for the nation to continue to dream and explore and take full advantage of where we are in space. I mean, you already have space tourism, space transit. I mean it, it's exciting to think about the possibilities where we're going to future and from a Space Force Guardian perspective, with our mission to secure our nation's interests in from or to space, it's to allow those dreamers you dream big, and those explorers to explore right and for industry to continue to invest and see where we go and make sure that we secure our nations stake in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And since it's still sort of a new thing to people, if people are interested in finding out more about Space Force, maybe they even want to join up. Where can people find out more information.
Speaker 5: So you know, space Force dot com and you can figure out more about the jobs and roles that we have within the Space Force and you'll be able to connect with the recruiter if you have some questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Chief Masters Sergeant. You know your call sign is B nine because you're our last name is ben Avania.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a mouthful.
Speaker 1: It's a mouthful, but I did okay with it.
Speaker 5: I guess you did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Chief Master Surgeon, thank you so much for coming in and spending some time with us. And again, if people want information at space force dot com dot com. All right, thank you so much for Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Fire that started around noon in Riverside Counties quickly grown to thirty seven hundred acres in Iguanga east of Temecula. Evacuation orders have been issued for several neighborhoods and evacuation center has been set up at Temecula Valley High School Vice president Kamala Harris has one less person to choose from for a running mate. North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper's taking himself out of contention. Cooper was seen as one of the top contenders, along with Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, and Arizona Senator Mark Kelly. City of Pasadena, our South Pasadena rather has unveiled its new fleet of all electric police cruisers. The vehicles and the infrastructure to charge them are the first fleet of EVE patrol cars in the nation. The cars and chargers are made by Tesla. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, President Biden is pushing to make some huge changes to the Supreme Court, and that's getting some huge pushback from some in Congress. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of How to Money. I'm KFI. It's Joel Larsgard.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Joel, morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're talking to you a little bit later than we normally do because of your children.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I know, blame them.
Speaker 1: Well, so Joel's got kids in school, and school is starting up again for your kids. So we had to adjust a little bit, so moving forward, we're going to be talking to you on Tuesdays at five point fifty instead of five to twenty.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 10: I'm just glad you're going to continue having me.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thrilled that you continue to bring us good information about how to money. God knows a lot of us need it, including me. Let's talk about social security and how worries about whether it's even going to be there are prompting some young kids to start saving more and start saving sooner.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is a story that I've been following closely, just kind of what's going on with social Security and then also just the vibes around social security specifically for young people, so gen Z, younger millennials even really like all millennials, there is an extreme worry that, you know, based on the rhetoric and based on the reality of what's going on with the Social Security Trust Fund, that hey, maybe when I get to my parents' age, there's not going to be anything left for me. And so it was like good and bad. Seeing there's a Wall Street Journal article about this, and it was they were talking about detailing how a lot of young people are planning for retirement with zero social security in mind, which means a lot of them are saving a whole lot more than they'd otherwise need to, and oversaving is better than undersaving in my opinion. But still, I guess it's not that those fears are completely unfounded, because there are issues with social security that need to be addressed in our politicians really aren't doing anything. They're not really even talking about it, even though there are The longer we kick the can down the road, the harder the more severe the way we have to approach fixing social security becomes. But it's at least good to see young people saying I've got to take more of this into my own hands.
Speaker 1: And I think probably young people are probably better prepared than kind of people in the middle, because you know, I've always just assumed that social security is going to still be there. But that I mean initially they were saying, what, twenty thirty five, it could run out of money. Well, that's only eleven years away.
Speaker 10: So here's the thing that is that I think that is part of the reason young people in particular are saying there isn't going to be any money there for me. But that's not when you read that headline, there's a lot of deeper truth to that, because it turns out people who are working you and me are still paying into the Social Security program. And so even though the Social Security Trust Fund essentially runs out of money, it doesn't mean that Social Security can't pay its bills. And the worst thing that's going to happen, based on everything I've read and seen, is that what happens is diminished payouts for people and probably like at most a twenty five percent haircut, and even at that twenty five percent haircut. So let's say you log onto social Security dot gov, you sign up for my social Security, and you get that projection of what you're likely to get in Social Security payments when you retire. You might find that, hey, guess what, that was a lofty goal that Social Security is saying that I'm going to have. Ultimately, if you factor into I think a wise thing to do, factor into having seventy to seventy five percent of the money that Social Security projects instead of the full amount that they're projecting, because that's, in my opinion, the worst case scenario of what's going to happen. Because even if that's the case, the social Security has enough to make those those lower payment amounts for many many decades.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what is a good plan of action now to plan for that now?
Speaker 10: So again, what people are doing is kind of the right thing. I think it's maybe overkilled to say I'm not going to I'm going to assume that there's zero social Security for me. That puts a lot of bonus on you, and I think for a lot of people, actually that's pretty demoralizing. It's like saying, uh, I guess I could see people taking one of two tacts. If that's the case, it's either whow, I'm gonna save a ton or oh my gosh, I'm gonna save nothing, because it's a doom and gloom from the.
Speaker 5: From the get go.
Speaker 10: So realize that there is going to be social Security there, and guess what, it's a really popular program. And politicians at some point are going to wise up and they're not just going to let it go to pot because this is something that Americans have relied on now for many, many, many decades, and they're they're they're going to shore it up.
Speaker 6: At some point.
Speaker 10: When and who and how that's going to happen, I don't know. But this is a this is a program that's going to be there for the long term. But it's also incumbent on you, especially in today's age, to be investing for your future from an early age. Dollar costs averaging regularly into your four oh one K, into your wroth IRA, hopefully in increasing one to two percentage points a year what you're investing. I love for people ideally to have some sort of minimum savings rate, minimum investment amount of fifteen percent fifteen percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's move on now to spending and credit cards. And we know that it's it's important to have a strong credit score, But how do you help your kid get a head start on getting a good credit score?
Speaker 10: So parents everywhere want their kids to do better than they did, right, That's that's the goal, Right, You're like, how can I allow my kid to have a better life than I had, hopefully without becoming entitled in the process. And that's the problem I face right now with my children. But one thing that you can do that doesn't lead to entitlement, but that does help them get started on the right foot when it comes to their finances is kind of gifting them a higher credit score. And we're finding that more and more parents are doing this. There's some new data from TransUnion that came out this week and it found that young people are being granted authorized user access in much bigger numbers than they were just ten years ago. It's more than doubled and what authorized user access is. And I was talking to Kno about this before I came on. He's done it for his kids, so he's ahead of the curve like usual, right, Yeah, give him a pedal of the back for me. It's what you can do is essentially put your kid on your credit card account as an authorized user, not hand over a credit card to them, because that might be a mistake. And you can do it as young you can do it as soon as they come out of the womb, essentially. On some credit card issuers like Capital One, there is no age limit to add your child as an authorized user. Other credit card companies say not until they're thirteen. So take a look at the fine print on your particular credit card. But if you handle credit card well, credit well, and you handle your credit cards incredibly well, paying them off on time and in full, if you are a diligent user of your credit and you have a high score and believe you will continue to do that. You can set your kid up for future success by essentially allowing them when they turn eighteen to have a high seven hundreds, low eight hundreds credit score from the get go. So it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So they can get your score just by piggybacking on your account.
Speaker 10: That's exactly I mean, that's the term piggybacking. That's exactly what they're doing. Is they're kind of jumping on you and then how well you have handled.
Speaker 5: Or how poorly.
Speaker 10: By the way, so if you don't handle credit, you don't get right. So if like your kids really annoying you and you handle credit porly, then add them as an authorized user and set them up for not success I guess. But yeah, this is a great tool for people who do handle their credit card well and want to get their kids started off on the right foot. It's like, oh, I can't give you tens of thousands of dollars. I don't have some sort of massive inheritance, but at least this is going to get you started off on the right leg from a credit perspective. When we all know how wide ranging and impactful your credit score is in your financial life. We're talking about whether or not you can rent the apartment. We're talking about the rates you get when you're borrowing to buy a car or to buy a home. And so this is a really big one for you to be able to help your kiddo. And yeah, again, you might be able to do it from the age of one, or you can do it from the age of thirteen, depends what credit card issue you're with.
Speaker 1: Helping your kids lead to a successful future. What a wonderful gift. Okyes, we're going to find out many more tips on how to manage your money, on how to Money coming up Sunday noon to two right here on KFI. You can also follow Joel Larsgard at how to Money. Joel get lots of great financial tips. Thank you so much, Joel. Go take your kids to school now, Okay, thank you, all right, we'll talk to you next week. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour news room for producer and and technical producer Kno and traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app