Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a stretch to say that for it being in, you know, early February, that today is a nice day outside.
Speaker 3: The sun is shining.
Speaker 2: It is chilly, but I think the sun has made it one look nice outside and not feel as cold. But we're gonna have some some nasty winter weather, it sounds like starting tomorrow. I'm looking here at WLKY, our news partners and the one and only Matt Melosovich.
Speaker 3: Sorry, love you WKY, but.
Speaker 2: Can you can you make it to where your auto ads don't have sound? Because everybody's got auto play ads now on on websites. I mean, look, I used to have to, you know, I used to Part of my way to make a living was generating advertising revenue on a website. So I get it, like you got to play the game, but for them to automatically start with sound is super annoying.
Speaker 4: But we're trying to run a radio show exactly.
Speaker 3: Come on, guys.
Speaker 2: So anyways, Mam Melosovich says that much of the w lk Y region could get between two and five inches of snow whenever it's all said and done, I guess it's expected to start tomorrow or yeah, tomorrow at some point. But yeah, I'm looking here.
Speaker 4: Is that when it's soft or hard?
Speaker 3: That's a good question, that's a great question.
Speaker 2: Could be a little bit of both, Yeah, to be honest with you, But my judging, it says here that lighter amounts are expected to the north, especially in the northern tier of southern Indiana, and there'll be a sharp gradient of rain and snow whatever the hell that means. So Bargetown, Elizabethtown sounds like those are areas that could get more than others. But I'm looking at the map here that just shows the different counties here in both Kentucky Louisville area and southern Indiana, and it looks like Bullet count which is where I live. I live in the northern part of Bullet County. But looks like we could get we could get hit pretty hard here. So I'm trying to see when it's supposed to start. Yeah, so tomorrow morning around six am is when it'll be I guess getting going, So stay safe. I think we had enough snow at the beginning of this year in January to wherever we didn't get anymore and the warm weather arrived, I'd be happy with it, but you know, it looks like we still have I mean that what was that that naked mole rat thing, the beaver.
Speaker 3: What is his name? Something Patonic?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the Posatani?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, maybe the road It was right, that's right, because he did say we were going to get more winters.
Speaker 4: So we shall see shadow.
Speaker 2: All right, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Monday. Hopefully you have not much of a Super Bowl hangover. I mean, this is a day that most people probably wish was a national holiday, and I get it, but it's not. So we're here, we're talking about it, and we want to hear from you. If I two, if i've seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call, we'll go to the phone lines now and welcome in Edwin. Edwin, you're on Sports Talk seven to ninety. What's happening, Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: I'm calling from Erie, Pennsylvania. Long time alois for him. I got to kick out of a fellow. I don't know what station I would listening to. The other day. The other day during the Miami game, a guy called in after a game and said that he was pacing in the kitchen floor, but he loved it. He loved the team. I said, that is exactly like if I had called in. I have such a love affair with Louisville basketball, and I'm seventy four years old. I go back to Van Vance and Jack Seller and doing the games on you ches, and this is a great job. We got really nice coach and knows what he's doing.
Speaker 3: They're fun to watch too, aren't they.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, sir ball Hawking. I love the game where you're not going to shoot the ball. Well, every day, everybody I ever played at any kind of love that is any good. Amazed at the athletes on the floor. This is beautiful basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ed, when I tell you beautiful, I tell you what. The the run for this team in January where they started to start. They started to reel off win after win. There were some games where shots weren't falling. They had some bad nights at the free throw line, but man, they played so hard and they were able to make up for that and overcome it, and I think that's a big sign that they're a well coached team and they buy in and they execute what he wants to do. So Yeah, in a weird way, this whole season is just unusual because one we were kind of lifeless for a couple of years, and now we've got a team that looks like they're going to be in the tournament, and we know that at any moment they could have another guy get injured and maybe they'll they'll be more vulnerable for a loss. But man, like the ride, exactly exactly. I'm exactly the same way with you.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: You say you're in Erie, Pennsylvania. Are you familiar with Edinburgh, Pennsylvania?
Speaker 5: Oh? Very much so? About weapons? Let me from university?
Speaker 2: What if I told you that my mother's entire family's side is all from Edinburgh, PA. What a small world?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Give me your last name, my puppee, Madame mild Gillespie. Unless you heard the name, Yeah, yeah, I don't know them. It's a nice community, beautiful community.
Speaker 3: Yep, small world.
Speaker 5: And all these Pennsylvania State schools they you know, they they're struggling now with people entering the school, but they're all well kept up in good schools. You know, Edinburgh State degree is a Pennsylvania conference degree. It's well well worth it, well Edwin.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the phone call. Good to hear from you. Stay safe up there in Erie, Pennsylvania. And I don't know if there's going to be any time this year where we're not watching these games with a heart rate that's elevated and where we're pacing, because that's just kind of kind of what it is, and in a way it makes me feel alive again after being lifeless for years. Really, I mean there's different levels to it, right. The last two years were really bad, but then there was kind of that slow decline at the end of Mac and then you know, before that, I mean before Mac, it was you know, it was headed in the right, I mean even but yeah, let me make sure I've got my years right. So before mac mack was hired in what twenty seventeen eighteen, I think it was or twenty eighteen nineteen, you know, before that, you had the DP year and that team was was you know, was fine, but they missed the tournament and we knew that he probably wasn't going to be the coacher for longer than a year, So it was kind of a kind of just a year in waiting really to find out who's going to be leading the program, who's going to be taken over for Rick Matino. And then prior to that, you know, Rick Rick had the fifteen team. That was the last team that made to the second weekend in twenty sixteen. They kept themselves, that helped themselves out of the tournament. Seventeen they had a really good year but fell short in the second round as a two seed when they get upset by Michigan, and you know, from then on, it's just kind of been nothing that we would have ever wanted. Now again, it's easy to forget, and you know, I'm sure it's not something that comes to mind for fans very often, but that twenty twenty team, they were good. They just couldn't play in the tournament because of, you know, a global pandemic.
Speaker 3: So it does kind of.
Speaker 2: Feel like, man, we're due, Louisville basketball fans are more than due to be excited about a team and have a fun ride like we're having right now.
Speaker 3: But man, these injuries just keep getting in the way, and.
Speaker 2: You were able to deal with it so impressively, really starting, you know, in January when they went undefeated for the entire month. You were dealing with it so well that I forgot that they're playing without two guys they were supposed to be a big part of what they do, in case in Pryor and Korn Johnson, and then the Chucky thing, and again it's probably I mean, I would imagine it's nothing severe, but I just want to know that. And I don't say that complaining as if I'm entitled to We're owde information. It's just because of how big of a piece he is. It just not know for sure when he's going to be back, and when he does come back, how effective he's going to be. It's just it's one of those things that worrying about It is not going to do anything. We'll find out when we find out, but because of the importance of him, it's kind of hard not to worry, especially whenever I just I've had such a fun ride with this team and I don't want it to end. And look, even if CHUCKI can't go for a couple of games, maybe they keep winning. They should be able to because again, they're playing some teams the rest of the way that you know, to say that they're not good would be a compliment to them considering how bad they are. So the next opponent coming up here on is it Wednesday?
Speaker 4: We see here?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: They will play at seven o'clock on ESPN two at NC State and New NC State was the next opponent. I didn't remember if it was home or away, but they are nine and fourteen, two and ten in a league that we have to acknowledge is not good. And I'm sure Kevin Keats has NC State fans wondering if the final or last year was worth it because it was a fun ride. I'm sure it was a very memorable experience. It was certainly a fluke, but you didn't even have like a fun season to go with it, right, like you just had as an NC State fan, like three weeks four three weeks really of what the hell happened? Are we really doing this? Are we making a run here? We made the tournament because we won the ACC with five wins in five days, and then we messed around and made it all the way to the final four. Like that, They unexpected joy that came with that had to be as good as anything you've ever experienced as a fan, but it was brief, and now it's led to you having your coach locked up.
Speaker 3: Long term, and that wild run is the outlier.
Speaker 2: I love coach Keats, but he has not been very good at NC State, especially for a program that actually does have a lot of history. But now they're like they're stuck with him unless they want to buy him out. He got a new contract because of that Final four. And this North Carolina State team has now lost let's see one, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. They've lost eight in a row, so they're not good. And that's another one of those games that I mean you could lose, because you could lose to anybody. I mean, anybody could lose anybody. I suppose Louisville certainly could lose to anybody if they don't play well and if they somehow don't have Chucky. But that's the kind of loss that would really be a significant stain on your resume that you just can't have. So we'll see what happens, all right, So Kentucky, they bounced back against South Carolina and good timing for both teams. I talked about this quite a bit over the week or last week, towards the end of the week, that you had the worst two teams in the SEC in the ACC coming to play both Louisville and Kentucky, and the timing couldn't have been better for Louisville more so than we even realized, because they didn't get Chucky and then they lost James Scott. And I mean, this is probably an exaggeration, but I mean it, so I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 3: I feel it.
Speaker 2: There were times where I thought Miami was worse than Kenny Payne coach team as far as just like they were out there playing pick up.
Speaker 3: They didn't care.
Speaker 2: And look, that's not ideal for your league, but man, you'll take advantage of it if you're Louisville, considering the fact that you were already shorthanded and you're still able to win by double digits. With Kentucky, they lost four out of five. There's not many nights in the SEC where you feel like you know you can get a gimme, and I guess South Carolina really is as close to a gimme as you're gonna get in the league because they're they've not won a game, and they still haven't because Kentucky took care of business on Saturday. They won that one eighty to fifty seven, a real blowout, and they got Lamont Butler back.
Speaker 3: And I didn't I totally missed it.
Speaker 2: I was listening to some listening to some pregame coverage that morning, and I heard him talking about Jackson Robinson's wrist. He did play, but he's dealing with an injury to his shooting rist. I don't know, I don't. I mean, I didn't know that occurred. Was that in a game? Was that something that they found out right before the game, because I mean that's a huge deal. I mean, you already had Lamont Butler, who you didn't know at that time when he was going to come back. Thankfully, he did come back for Kentucky, which at least says he's you know, he's even if he's not at full strength, that he can play like that's that's a sign that you know he's not gonna be out for the year. So you have that with Butler, Crease is probably not coming back at all, and then Jackson Robinson, your best scorer really and really your best player, to be honest with you. He's got a risk injury and was a game time decision. He was able to play. So Kentucky's dealing with some injuries too, And I'm sure they were aware that Tommy worked out in their favor because they played a winless SEC team that really is the only bad team in that league. And I feel like it's okay to say that they're not just bad for an SEC team, like they're actually really bad, because I mean they're sitting there ten and thirteen overall, and I know they're in a good league, but I mean they haven't I mean, they haven't beaten really anybody yet this year. So now Kentucky turns to Tennessee, a team that is still up to mean, Tennessee got off to such a great start in the regular season, I mean what they win fifteen of their first sixteen games. I mean, they were really really good in the non conference. Then they slipped up to Florida, and then they messed around and lost three out of four. Well, now they have wins since since losing three out of four to Vandy, Auburn, and Kentucky, they've now beat Florida, who's still a top five team. They beat Missouri, they beat Oklahoma, and they've been able to Honestly, the fact that they're still top five in the net and in the kin Palm is kind of crazy because they've lost.
Speaker 3: It looks like.
Speaker 2: In the last not only not only do they lose three of four there before that they'd lost.
Speaker 3: I guess see, they were.
Speaker 4: Four and.
Speaker 2: Four and five in a stretch there, I think, or no, I'm sorry, because they only have four losses on the year.
Speaker 3: Anyways, they were able to lose all four of.
Speaker 2: Their games within a three week period, and yet they still are super super highly ranked in every metric, and it's just because of how good they were in the non conference, and you know, the numbers love them.
Speaker 3: So they're going to be looking for revenge.
Speaker 2: But they got to come do it at Rapperena because Kentucky was able to take that one from them in Knoxville on January twenty eighth. So Kentucky is in a much different situation than Louisville for a variety of reasons. But what I mean is the opportunities, right, Louisville has very little, very little to gain the rest of the way with their schedule and they have everything to lose. To be honest with you, I mean, again, you can't do anything about it, but that's just the way it is. Kentucky, they have really I mean, you don't want to keep losing because you know, you don't want to be stacking up losses. But currently Kentucky sixteen and seven, they're still looking like a good seed for seed. And they lose to Tennessee tomorrow again, nobody's going to be celebrating. It's not ideal, but it doesn't hurt you at all because you already have them beat at their place, which is a more valuable win than you beating them tomorrow home. Now again, it's still a good win, and who knows, they probably will win, right they're going to be at home at rup, but they could lose to really just about anybody left on their schedule outside of one team, maybe two teams yet, and there's two teams left on their schedule that they could lose to, and it probably wouldn't have any impact on their seed line. Vandy at home is when you don't want to slip up because that could hurt you in the metrics a little bit. Still not a terrible loss. But and then outside of that, when they play LSU at home, who's eighty first, and the Ken Palm, I mean, the other losses. I'm not saying that they could lost to all the good teams left on their schedule and still get a great seed. But the floor for Kentucky, given the wins they already have and how many great teams they play the rest of the way, I just don't think the floor's that low. And yet if you mess around and win some of these games against the likes of you know, Auburn, Alabama and Tennessee, I mean, those are those.
Speaker 3: Those are three top five, top.
Speaker 2: Six opportunities for you, and that could absolutely boost your resume even further than it already is with I mean we as it stands, they're probably a four seed at worst right now. So I'm envious of Kentucky for that reason alone, that they have little room for I mean, there's really no, not many chances for them to have losses that would really hurt them in a major way, and yet they got so many opportunities to get wins that could bump them up a seed line or two. It's the exact opposite situation for Louisville, no doubt. All right, how about Edwin? I love when people call who are Louisville fans that are from or that are in different parts of the country. In fact, since we talked about it a couple weeks ago, I found myself really looking at it more than I ever have, and that is just seeing where people are downloading the podcast from, just because you know, it's interesting to me and what it makes me feel good. Maybe it's self serving right to see that we've got feel heart yeah, that we've got people you know, listening in this state or that state, and you know, just you know, it's it's nice to know your audience. I suppose, so, Edwin, thank you for calling in and appreciate you. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side talk a little more Super Bowl. As Jalen hurts, I don't know what else he can he can do for the doubters. And I don't think he's got you know, a ton of people out there claiming that he's terrible. But when you look at what he's done in his career in the NFL thus far at a young age, I mean he has the exact same playoff wins the has. I mean, really, he's been to as many Super Bowls, he's won as many Super Bowls, and he has won as many playoff games in his first four years as a starter that Patrick Mahomes did in his first four years as starter. And that's something that sounds crazy when you say it out loud, But that's why I feel like this guy probably deserves more respect than people realize. But also, we got to talk commercials to halftime show, all that stuff. We'll get to an next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 3: Day good stuff.
Speaker 2: It actually kind of makes me sad because this was this was a different Kanye than current Kanye, which is a real mess. Yeah, the last twenty four hours, as far as what's in the news about Kanye West, is not not good.
Speaker 3: Stud him a day he certainly has.
Speaker 2: All Right, It's coffee and Company as we react to the weekend, a day after the Super Bowl, and the result overall, very very satisfying last night for me. And again it sounds bad because like it's mean, but I also found myself feeling very satisfied seeing Taylor Swift get booed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just it's it's bad energy to be putting out there by myself, but I can't control it. It's just I guess I'm I'm a natural born hater when it comes to the Chiefs and Taylor Swift did everything and Travis Kelce to me, he I could take the lazy path and say, well, he's just he's such a d bag that you know, that's why I don't like him. He is a d bag. Like I don't really have any mean to me. He's just he's really good and he's kind of a knucklehead, but like, I don't think he's a terrible guy.
Speaker 3: And he is at times, you know.
Speaker 2: A little arrogant, but he's also one of the best tight ends that's ever played. So he was sad last night, and again I took satisfaction in his tears. He was I think the most emotional after the game, and it maybe because that he could have potentially played his last game with the Chiefs. That sounds crazy, because again, how do you let that guy get away? But as the Chiefs prepared to rebound from this loss, they've got an expensive decision to make when it comes to Travis Kelsey, because he's got a nineteen point eight million dollars salary cap hit next season and the Chiefs could save seventeen million if they decided to cut him and move on. I mean, I don't I don't have any inside info, of course, but that would be to me a really foolish decision. But look, money matters, right if it's a financial thing that you just can't justify and you want to, you know, you want to use your money elsewhere and kind of go in a different direction, Like you could be successful without him, sure, but he's also, again, the best that you're going to get at that position. He's a real weapon. And giving a guy like that up and letting him walk and not paying I just think that seems unlikely. How old is he because he's older than I realize.
Speaker 4: He's probably he's got to be like thirty thirty one or eight.
Speaker 3: See he's he's thirty five, thirty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So.
Speaker 3: I thought he was.
Speaker 2: Around Mahome's age because I just think of him in the NFL, and you know, I think of those two together because they clearly have been a great duo. But he he was in college for five years because he did a red shirt year, he was not a big name in the draft until like towards the very end. So you know, in his first it was his first few years in the NFL. Yeah, I mean he was he red shirted his freshmans. I mean, he's a year older, year younger than me, which again he's not to me. Showed signs that he's getting old and he can't play anymore. But quite literally, if you're thirty five years old in the NFL, you are old. I mean there's really no way around it.
Speaker 4: Aging tight end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he redshirted his first year in college in two thousand and eight, and then he played and didn't do much of anything as a sophomore, and then as a junior he was suspended the entire season, and then he played as a junior and senior or his last two years were in twenty eleven in twenty twelve, and he was productive. And look, you can see why he ended up getting a lot of hype leading in the draft because he's a talented, talented guy and he's he's a legend now. But like he didn't get started really having success in the NFL until he was a little bit older in life, I mean, not ancient.
Speaker 3: But that's why I bet I would.
Speaker 2: There's no way to know this, but I would not be shocked, Austin if a lot of people thought he was the exact same age that you thought he was, because that's how it kind of times out right, Like he was in college for five years and never really made an impact to where you remember him from college where mahomes. He didn't even stay in college the full time, and even though Texas Tech wasn't great, you knew who he.
Speaker 6: Was, right, Yeah, that's how old Taylor Swift is two thirty five. Yeah, it's a little did not know. I still think that these people around my age, just because I mean it's I mean, I I obviously listened to her like back in high school, but I felt like I grew up with these She became like she was five.
Speaker 4: Years older than I.
Speaker 3: So she is she thirty five?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: What year was she born in?
Speaker 4: Nineteen eighty nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighty nine, So she's a year older than me, or sorry, year younger than me. And you know, it kind of checks out because I remember right around the time she became like a celebrity, was the country version of her and that was that was in two thousand and seven when she was she was eighteen.
Speaker 4: So was the tailor that I liked? Was her come she's.
Speaker 2: Been a superstar since the age of eighteen, and here we are, you know how many years later, I mean nearly twenty years later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, so.
Speaker 2: You know, she's she's somebody that that I kind of maybe maybe she wasn't as big. I'm trying to think of like her career, you know, roller coaster, because to say that she's been the same level of like fame now as she was back then, not at all? Right, Like, yeah, no, she she wasn't even really like an a lister in country, and then she kind of got kicked out of country.
Speaker 5: Did she?
Speaker 6: And then well her there's so many different I feel like chapters you can call them eras in the in the Taylor Swift version, but everything seemed to have changed. Remember where our guy Kanye West came in and kind of like berated her on stage. Was that at the Grammy I think it was the Grammy Grammys. Yeah, and he did the uh he just kind of interrupted her, And yeah, I mean that was that just felt like maybe like the first real part and that's when she really kind of started switching, because that's when she like wrote Love Story and Sparksfly.
Speaker 3: Do you remember one time she had tear drops on her guitar?
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh boy, yes, And I think I think, if anything, that's what kind of really started her off. And then you have Love Story and that's what started her off in the country lore. But she just straight up went the pop act in like the nineteen eighty nine then with the reputation and everything after. That was how she bursted onto the pop scene. So when I think of her early early early fame in country, I just think of her as kind of like a teeny bopper country yes, and you know, she was fine whatever, Like I didn't have a strong opinion about her at all. But then when she released I think it was was was it nineteen eighty No, I think it might have been read that was her first was that country or no?
Speaker 4: Red is that moral thing? So either either this is where I don't either.
Speaker 2: Red or nineteen eighty nine that was That was when she one of those two albums was when she kind of shifted to doing like the pop stuff.
Speaker 3: I remember the nineteen eighty nine and I remember thinking.
Speaker 2: Okay, like you know, like she's she's talented, she's an artist, she's creative enough to where she can do this and it doesn't seem like a stretch or reach away from her her country background. And then really in the last five years or so is when it just became like a level of where I mean, when I think of musical artists within my adult life that have had just a level of fame and following, I mean, she's got to be number one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again I'm not don't.
Speaker 6: Listen, well, you know a little bit more than me here, because you're right, it was about the nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 4: Nineteen eighty nine came out.
Speaker 6: A couple of years after Red and according to Wikipedia, and we all know that they're right.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course it wouldn't be on the internet.
Speaker 6: It wasn't true, right, And they're still begging you for money every time you log into Wikipedia, which I don't get. But title after Swist's birth year as a symbolic rebirth. It was the album that recalibrated her artistic identity from country music to pop.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because my nineteen eighty nine album.
Speaker 2: My wife had it on her She bought the album on iTunes. This is before the streaming stuff was what it is now. And I remember we went to we went to Mexico for a trip, and you couldn't really stream music then like you can now, and we didn't have any service, so we had to just rely on the Wi Fi that wasn't great. So we would listen to the albums that we had downloaded on our phones, right like everyone downloaded. We couldn't play it because we didn't have connectivity to really to go get anything else. So she downloaded the album and we listened to it a lot, not by my request, but I ended up thinking, Okay, like this isn't bad. She's actually pretty talented, and I still don't find myself seeking her music out by any means. But I just felt really bad because she got booed last night and seemed visibly stunned, almost as if she'd never been booed before. And I felt such great joy to see that, And that's such a mean thing, that's such a I don't feel sorry for her by any means, because you know, she's doing great in life, and I don't think she needs anybody to feel sorry for her. But I don't know whenever I realized that I enjoyed seeing her get booed. There was a moment of self reflection, like what is wrong with you? And again it's not like I'm saying we should be sympathetic and we should all have been giving her a round of applause because you know.
Speaker 6: Rejoicing in the ultimate hate that is Taylor Swift being shown at the super Bowl exactly, which that's what Once again, that's pretty cool. But I also just go back because I was at the super Bowl party. At our super Bowl party, we went over a few friend's house last night, and that was that was one of the big talks is have they even shown Taylor yet? And it wasn't un till like I want to say, like late in the first quarter, maybe even second, that they've shown her. And I had actually thought that she was going to make an appearance with Kendrick on the halftime show because they did sing a song together.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, she's been bad Blood together.
Speaker 2: She's made it clear she's not I mean, they don't pay you to perform at the halftime show.
Speaker 4: You got it.
Speaker 2: And and she's I mean, as they say she's standing on business.
Speaker 4: Yeah she doesn't, she doesn't.
Speaker 2: She doesn't perform for free for anything, because she can on a moment's notice schedule a full arena stadium tour and it would sell out in seconds.
Speaker 3: Like that's just how how popular she is.
Speaker 2: So before I get into some of my takeaways with the commercials, did you have any real big takeaways, like ones that you thought were good, bad, or maybe overall just feeling like it was a good or bad year for for the advertisements that, of course, you know, reach more people than any any any other way of avingizing.
Speaker 6: The Super Bowl commercials just haven't been the same to me in like ten fifteen years maybe, And it's just you. That's something that you used to watch and everybody used to gather around for.
Speaker 4: I did like the one.
Speaker 6: I don't know exactly what company it was, well was early on and they were showing like the slots and it was like, I thought that that one's really really well done.
Speaker 3: Yep, the Sloughs one is.
Speaker 2: From what I can tell, it's getting as much praise as any good and it is a is it is?
Speaker 3: Let me see? Is it was it a beer commercial?
Speaker 4: I have no clue.
Speaker 3: I can't tell.
Speaker 4: I just remember going, oh, that's pretty fun. I had the slow speech chase.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't track it down here because yeah, it's it's cores light. Yeah, it's cores light. Oh okay, yeah that was on them. That one was so that one was good to where like it's funny enough, it's I don't know what you said A moment ago, I kind of went, I was thinking about this last night because you said you feel like they've kind of not been the same for a while, and I agree. But what I don't know is what when I used to in this time where I felt like the commercials were consistently better from top to bottom, what was it that made me think they were better than what I'm seeing now. Because it's a good point because what I'm seeing now is where I can see a commercial and I'm not. I don't have any real genuine like emotion, whether it be funny or it's cringe or it's sad. But I'm just like if I say, yeah, that was a good commercial, I'm now more so, I guess looking at it from like an advertising perspective, like did you mark because it used to really irritate me before I understood why Depending on what you do like you can have a commercial that doesn't actually say what you do as clear as you might expect, but yet it's really just you're trying to get the brand out there more than anything.
Speaker 6: Right, Like last year, like TIMU have like a bunch of Super Bowl commercial exploded last year they went all out, Like this one didn't bring me to laughter, but it was clever enough to where I'm like, Okay.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's creative, that's that's funny. And that was the Mountain Dew where they had Seal as a seal.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 6: I didn't watch the whole thing of that. I just saw the memes online. I didn't know if that was a commercial.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, so Seal as a seal to promote a mountain dew tropic lime, and like, that's a guy willing to lean into it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: His name is seal As, an artist, and they had him as a seal, and you know, I thought that was pretty clever.
Speaker 3: Guess I'm im.
Speaker 5: On the bit.
Speaker 4: I think I'm in stay. I see, yeah, my fast.
Speaker 5: A lot of shame, a blast of tropical.
Speaker 2: Life looking so that, I mean, that's a guy willing to lean into it. Some would say an artist like Seal may not be willing to, you know, be portrayed as a Seal and recreate one of his masterful songs about Mountain Dew, but hey, you know they cut the check and you know he got paid big money.
Speaker 3: For that, so you know, no judgment for me at all.
Speaker 2: There were some others that that like, for example, the Tom Brady uh Dura cell commercial. I don't think that was like hilarious, but like, you know, it's clever enough where Brady's batteries run out and they got to go put new Dura cell batteries in while he's broadcasting, Yeah, us or.
Speaker 4: Whatever, that's right.
Speaker 2: And then this is like bud Light using both Shane Gillis and post Malone. I mean, I think they're trying to really salvage the whole Dylan mulvaney thing, if you know what I mean. Like nobody's on top more seemingly than Shane Gillis as far as just hilarious and everybody seems to love him. And uh, they're not doing anything with post Malone, yeah, and they're not doing anything to like apologize for what happened with that, But clearly they need to focus all their marketing efforts into just something fresh that just is a distraction from what that whole thing became. And there's no doubt like people could have their strong opinions about what that whole thing was, and that's fine, everybody's inside of their opinion.
Speaker 3: But numbers are numbers.
Speaker 2: They clearly they clearly made a big mistake from a business standpoint by doing that whole thing, and you know, looks like they're they're on track to kind of get back to to, you know, being being in better shape.
Speaker 6: I'm shocked at the first commercial if I remember right, Like it feels like it's always a beer commercial, but this one was a continuation of the Dunkin Donuts that they started last year and it was Ben Affleck. I can't remember the other actor that he was, but it was Dunkin Donuts and usually that's that spots reserved for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Duncan Donuts last was it last year?
Speaker 4: Whenever?
Speaker 2: It was Brady and Matt Damon and the Duncan Donuts and I mean Jack Harlowe I think was even in it was randomly, Yeah, they had a bunch of celebrities in there, and.
Speaker 6: That's what it seems like, that's where the shock value is on all these commercials anymore, is how many stars you could put it in, which I completely understand what like how you say you look at it from an advertising standpoint, get the big stars in there, and like they'll question what the hell is this, but then they're going to go look at your product anyways.
Speaker 2: And and one thing that really, you know to your point about this putting as many stars as you can, putting as many people who are on like who really at that time have a lot of momentum as far as fame and really a following online. I know that that they put people in these commercials that I should know who they are. But I feel like I'm out of touch with what's big and what's not in pop culture because I'll see somebody who everybody else like at a party that like, oh wow, that's that's such and such from that show, and I'm like, you have no clue who that is. Like I was late to Drewskie, like drewski being in commercials. I get it now because like he's this hilarious internet comedian who's who's got a huge following and he's funny. But the first few times I saw him mainstream I'm like, Okay, clearly everybody gets who this guy is, and it's funny that he's just here, but I don't know who he is. One really powerful one that I thought, I mean, I don't want to get too deep, but this one was one of my favorites, and it really you know, as a family, as a family man myself, it hit pretty deep. This was a commercial for rocket dot com that they showed really it was a very beautiful, I guess, pro life type of thing. I mean, instead of well, I'll stop giving commentary on said commercial and just kind of share with you what it was.
Speaker 3: But it's a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of service folks, service members getting married and having kids and growing their family, and it's really just showing the American dream of getting older having success. And I would say, if you're in the service, you're a successful, upstanding citizen, and when you grow your family, I can attest it's some beautiful things. So like that just kind of hit me in the fields a little bit, and I just I don't know, in recent years, I don't feel like we've seen as much marketing or really we haven't seen as much at this level. Right the Super Bowl, it just seems as if we were going in the direction of like acting as if a very very very very small minority was actually who we all were. Which again, I'm getting sideways here and I want to go down a path that I may regret.
Speaker 3: But anyways, we'll just move on. We need to get a break anyway.
Speaker 2: But there's some other commercions I want to get to before we run out of time, because we'll probably never talk about superboll commercials again until next year, and there were a few others that I want to talk about, So quick break, we'll come back on the other side and wrap up the four o'clock hour. Still a lot more to get into, taking you up till six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So Jerry Palm at CBS Sports looks as if he is the most recent to update of bracketology, least that I've seen. He updated his at noon today and currently you've got Louisville. According to Palm, he has Louisville as a seven seed and also Clemson is a seven seed. I thought they may bump up a little bit higher than seven because they beat Duke. But then again, they also have a loss to Georgia Tech. And to be fair, their loss to Georgia Tech is worse than Louisville's because Georgia Tech be them at their place where Louisville beat or Louisville lost.
Speaker 3: To them in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: So Kentucky currently sitting as a five seed according to Jerry Palm, which kind of surprises me. But you know the teams ahead of them, I can see why they are a spot above them on the seed line. I mean, you look at the four seeds that are out there right now, and Memphis being ahead of Kentucky's kind of a head scratcher to me because I just know that their league is not what Kentucky's is and they don't have as many good wins. But anyhow, Memphis is a four seed, Michigan is a four seed, and actually the more I look at it, the more I think Kentucky may be deserving of a four instead of some of these teams that are on the four line. But Saint John's and Ole miss are both at fours, and I have no issue with that. Saint John's is off to a great start, Platino picked up that win against Yukon on Friday night, and Ole Miss, of course, just beat the breaks off Kentucky and they're having a really good season.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to the ACC again, Louisville seven Clemson seven, Duke is still sitting as a one despite their loss and the bubble teams for the ACC, I mean, SMU, I mean they're sitting in the first four out. In fact, three of the four teams in the first four out, according to Jerry Palmer all in the ACC. Carolina is at forty six in the net. And Carolina did beat was a Pittsburgh to put themselves at least by I mean, they did get another win, but Carolina's now gotta go play at Clemson tonight, and I kind of feel like a loss for Carolina there. I mean, it wouldn't be a terrible loss, but you would go to fourteen and eleven, and like, I just don't know how. I mean, Look, you gotta know, everybody's resume has got to be compared. The amount of losses doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be in a much tougher spot than somebody that has three or four less losses than you, because again, your resume is about who you've played, who you beat, who you lost to, It's not just your record overall. But man, I just can't quite understand how Carolina and even be considered for the tournament at fourteen and ten and no real good win to speak of and a couple of losses that you know are bad. Like that makes me kind of retract what I said earlier about Louisville. I feel like if they were to lose to one of these bad teams in the ACC that they would be out of a tournament. And maybe that, I mean that is an exaggeration in a stretch, because going from seven to being not in the field is crazy. But again, they're rare. They don't have any good wins. Their best win is against Clemson. They have one loss that's bad. The others are quality losses, if you if you know what I mean. So if Carolina could be fourteen and ten and probably fourteen and eleven after tonight and still be considered a bubble team, then maybe Louisville is in a better shape than I realized. Maybe they can afford to lose one of these games. But you certainly don't want to do that, but SMU they played tomorrow night against Yeah, Pitt and SMU play tomorrow and I just kind of feel like whoever comes out on the winning end.
Speaker 3: Of that will keep Hope alive to be a tournament team, and whoever loses may be on the outside looking in. But it's wild.
Speaker 2: There could be a scenario where if the bubble bounce is the right way for the ACC, they may get six teams in. If the bubble bounce is the wrong way, they could get three, maybe two, depending upon you know, how certain teams finish.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, let me back up.
Speaker 2: Wake Forest is also currently in the field as well as a ten seat, so they're I think as a ten, you're a bubble team, but you know, you don't have a whole lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're in, but you don't want to. You've got very little room for error.
Speaker 2: I would say, all right, tonight's action in college basketballs are real. I mean, it sucks. I'm just thinking of a different way to say that, but it just sucks because you know, lack of a better term. Yeah, I mean, look, North Carolina Clemson is actually gonna be a good game for the ACC. And Clemson's got some momentum after their big win, and they're at home once again taking on Carolina who needs the win, so that'll be worth watching. And then the other big Monday game tonight is Houston and Texas. You know, I'm sorry it is Houston and Baylor. So that should be a decent games favored by nine and a half at home. And then I feel like there used to be other decent games on Mondays. Now it's just turned into where Monday. You got the two big Monday games, and then everywhere else it's I mean, it's just teams you'd probably never heard of and certainly wouldn't want to watch play. But we do have some lines for tomorrow's game already. Kentucky. They are one point underdogs to Tennessee, which kind of surprises me the rough, but then again, we're talking about a Tennessee team who is a top five team, and I would imagine it's been a real rarity for them to be underdogs to anybody. But Kentucky did beat them when they were shorthanded at Tennessee, so certainly a game that Tennessee could lose again. But I'd be highly shocked if we see Tennessee take thirty three pointers something like that. That's what they did close to it when they lost to Kentucky a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 3: And that's really I.
Speaker 2: Mean, that's Mark Pope getting Rick Barnes's team to kind of play into his style, his hand, and it didn't work out for Tennessee. All right, quick break, we got another hour left. Stick with us right here, Coffee and Company. Hilbout Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety
Speaker 5: M