Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Texas Tribune trip cast for Tuesday, October fourteenth. I am Matthew Watkins, editor in chief of the Texas Tribune, joined as usual by Politics and Justice reporter Eleanor Klebanoff.
Speaker 2: Hell, still not my title, Law and.
Speaker 1: Politics, Law in politics, politics, justice.
Speaker 3: Politics, the you know, law and order and CSI and justice politics reporter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I will get it at some point, or maybe I won't. Yeah, maybe not. Keeps working. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. And there's a real full chill in the air.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, low nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really enjoyed that at acl Fest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, were you at a cl I was, and.
Speaker 1: I continue to be too old for them. I only went on Saturday with my daughter and my wife. Daughter very excited to see Sabrina Carpenter. I went and saw the Strokes because, as previously mentioned, I'm old, and yeah, yes, it was a great time.
Speaker 3: You just threw your daughter into the Sabrina crowd and we're like, we'll meet back at A at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, so basically, my daughter had a soccer game at eight am in San Antonio, so we had to wake up at six and driver to San Antonio and then we drove back and then we got to the festival at around two two thirty and then got ended up getting home around like midnight. So it was an incredibly long day and my daughter was like, this is too much. So they like actually like stayed back and worked in the mix. I was watching the Strokes and also watching the texting and football game on my phone.
Speaker 3: Yes, fair, fair, like whole is like the first part so beautiful, like getting to share a music festival with your child.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The setup of after driving her at six am to a soccer game is like a real mixed bag on parenthood.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know. And then she was like convinced that she had lung cancer because of all the people who were smoking. And I was like, actually, that pain you feel on your legs is actually all the dust.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, you're like you can smoke a ton, don't even more like honestly, the smoking's not the profitable Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so anyway, nice.
Speaker 3: I did not go to a cl this year, but most I was most would have gone to see Tea Pain.
Speaker 1: So I went to the first ten ACL fests and then I retired, So I was like, this is too it's too much, and then I went enough since then to forget how terrible it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every time it's a new Yeah, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Actually pretty fun. Japanese Breakfast actually was the best show with that band. Yeah, really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did you go to IC I did. I had a very chaotic experience. I did not have tickets, so me and my friends got their Sunday at four pm and I held up a sign that said need four wristbands.
Speaker 2: Had they were quo.
Speaker 4: The scalpers were quoting us like four hundred dollars for like five hours left of the vessel, So we posted up at lose and I held up my sign. Eventually did manage to get too, so I went in and saw two DJs.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I will say I've said it before, I'll say it again. Kala, We're very different people.
Speaker 1: That voice you heard was indeed Kala Glow are politics reporter. Yes, I know.
Speaker 2: Kayla's more straightforward, yeah, fancy.
Speaker 1: But this week she is here to talk to us about Robert Roberson, who was at least coming into this week when we scheduled this podcast scheduled to be put to death by the State of Texas for the two thousand and three conviction for killing his daughter. His case, as you may know, has become a high profile cause for death PILNY opponents who believe Texas might be trying to execute an innocent man. But on Thursday, the state's highest criminal court delayed the execution for the second time in less than a year. It was a second time in less than a year that Robson was essentially days away from being executed and a court stepped in to block it all. Through this whole process, really, this whole past year, some of Texas's highest profile politicians have been fighting over the Robson case, in a fight that sort of breaks down under sort of non ideological lines. It's been sort of an interesting mix of lawmakers on both sides of the issue. But I will speak for myself. I won't speak for you Eleanor, but at least for myself. As this fight has been going on, it's been a bit challenging to sort of make sense of the facts. I would say both sides seem very certain and confident in their position as to whether Robert Roberson did this. So, Kayla, you are here to break it down for us. Thank you for joining us on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Even after an eventful ACL festival. So let's just start with the basics here. Can you tell us about the crime that Roverson is accused of.
Speaker 4: Yes, he is accused and was convicted of murdering his two year old daughter, Nicki. He was convicted in two thousand and three. She died in two thousand and two and at the time when he brought her to the hospital, the nurses and doctors he had said that he had woken to find her fallen from the bed and she was unresponsive, but he didn't know what was going on. She had been really sick in the weeks leading up to that, but at the hospital, the doctors and nurses didn't think that, you know, a fall could have caused this, and so they saw the signs that at the time told them to diagnose her with shaken baby syndrome, which is basically when a child or a baby is shaken so violently that they are really injured or die. So that is what he was convicted of in two thousand and three. He has maintained his innocence over the past twenty plus years on death row. But you know, even at his trial, his defense layer didn't pursue that innocence claim. Didn't you know, defend him as if believing that he were innocent. And so now you know, medical consensus has evolved. His lawyers have presented evidence they say debunks that Jake and baby diagnosis and that there was no crime.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's get into that. Now, why do people believe Why do the people who believe he's innocent believe he is innocent?
Speaker 2: There is a lot.
Speaker 4: So in the midst of all this, Texas in twenty thirteen passes a pretty groundbreaking law, the Junk Science Law. Texas was the first in the nation to do. A bunch of states have followed suit, and that provides for second looks in cases where the conviction rested on science that has since been discredited and recognizes that while the law is final, and you know, convictions are final, science and evidence evolves, like you think of things like my bite mark hypotheses. You know, people used to think that you can match someone's teeth up to a bitemark, and that is just not like held up in science anymore. So we pass this law in twenty thirteen that Roberson supporters think he is the poster child for to receive relief under and so a few things have happened since then as well. The medical guidance doesn't say to diagnose shake and baby syndrome when the three symptoms that it previously said to do it appear for it says you have to consider other factors before concluding abuse. His lawyers argue that things like sicknesses, accidents, those can call cause these three symptoms as well. It's bleeding behind the retina, some things in the brain.
Speaker 2: Swelling, yeah, bleeding.
Speaker 4: And so the medical consensus around how to diagnose shake and baby syndrome. It's still real, you know, but baby can still be really injured if they're violently shaken. Today it's not called chicken baby syndrome anymore, but how to diagnosis that guidance has changed. And his lawyers also point to evidence about Nikki that wasn't considered at trial as closely, that she was, you know, really sick in the days leading up to it, that she was prescribed medication that's no longer given to children her age, and they also point to flaws with how the autopsy was conducted, things with how Niki was handled at the hospital. So there are just a bunch of different, evolving, shifting things that have led people to say that it's not totally clear that he shook his baby to death and should be executed for it.
Speaker 3: Right, there's sort of like correct, been wrong, right, but like two separate things here, one of which is like the actual facts of his specific case. And also, as you're saying this like consensus on shaking baby syndrome, that the junk science law doesn't say, oh, if you were conviction on something that has since been thrown out as like you can't possibly have done it. It just says like you should get a second look at your case and we'll like reassess it on modern medicine, And a big part of that is like the idea that what we now know is doctors used to be told, like pediatricians especially like if you see or like if you see these three symptoms the triad, like assume it's shaken baby syndrome and proceed from there, which sort of his lawyers of art you sort of like taint the whole thing from the jump. We now know that a lot of things can cause that, and that you know, often to shake a baby so hard to cause them to die, you might see other symptoms too, like a broken neck.
Speaker 2: Sure, exactly, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's well, actually, I want to go back a little bit and more into the arguments on both sides here, but let's kind of continue with our history lesson first. Right, So he was is scheduled to be executed last year, and two state lawmakers really took up his cause. Jeff Leech, a Republican from the Colin County area north of Dallas, and Joe Moody, a Democrat from the Alpaso area, tell us a little bit about the dramatic actions they took to block the execution the first time here last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I just want to note this was not last year, was not the first time his execution was blocked. The Court of Criminal Appeals in twenty sixteen actually stayed his execution using the junk science law, saying that it provided a second look. So his case went back to trial court that had an evidentiure hearing. But the court in Anderson County and the prosecutor, you know, maintained that the evidence was still convincing of his guilt, and so that's what they recommended to the CCA, and the CCA agreed Robertson's lawyer thinks that, you know, they never really meaningfully engaged with all the evidence she brought up, but that sort of covers the span between twenty sixteen up until twenty twenty three. Is when his execution data set for twenty three four last year, which is when all these lawmakers get involved and sort of set off this broader, more dramatic saga, political saga. I think it was in the month before his execution was set to take place, more than half I think it was something like two thirds of the Texas House sign onto a letter urging clemency. A few people have since walked back their support, like Tom wulliverson Briscoecine. But these lawmakers, you know, they were suggesting that maybe there was sufficient doubt to put a pause on the whole thing. The House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence, which at the time Joe Moody chaired, and I believe Jeff Leach was the vice chair at the time, they held a couple of hearings before the execution was set to happen, and then the most dramatic moment happened the day before Roberson was set to be executed. They brought in a bunch of experts to testify as an all day hearing. Sometime in the middle of the day, the decision came from the Board of Pardons and Paroles that they were going to reject his application for clemency, which meant that only Governor Greg Abbott had the power at the time to issue a thirty day stay, which he did not do. At the end of this long, all day hearing, the committee, I believe it was a motion by Representative Brian Harrison, who's a Republican from Midlothian.
Speaker 2: He raises this motion to.
Speaker 4: Subpoena Robert Robertson, instructing him to come testify before the committee a few days after he was scheduled to die. So that sets off a whole whirlwinds the next day, and eventually the Texas Supreme Court steps in saying that this is a separation of powers issue between the executive and legislative branches of government. So the subpoena went out, or the executive branch's authority to execute him went out, and that leads to his execution being temporarily stayed, and eventually the Supreme Court says the lawmakers stepped a little bit too far, and Robert's execution was put back on the calendar this year and until last week was set to happen in two days from Luma recording and.
Speaker 1: The idea back then there was essentially, you can't execute someone who we're asking to come testify before us Abbot.
Speaker 3: Where you can't testify if you've been executed, so right, right, right.
Speaker 1: You can't. You can't execute We need him to, yeah, get in, so so don't don't And Abbott and others basically essentially make the case that this is sort of a they are taking away the power of the governor to kind of make decisions on these, when it's essentially the.
Speaker 3: Right anyone could subpoena anyone then and say, you know, we're never going to execute anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So then the decision from the State Criminal Court of Appeals, we should mention a nine member court all republics, all elected statewide, that focus on basically the top criminal court in the state, issues a decision on Thursday. Tell us what that decision said.
Speaker 4: That decision it so, first of all, it didn't roll on the merits of Robertson's claims that you know, this was junk science, or that Nikki.
Speaker 2: Died from other causes.
Speaker 4: In fact, dismissed a bunch of his appeals claiming judicial misconduct and other things, but it told the trial court in Anderson County to look again at Robert's case in light of a decision the criminal court made last year. So in the midst of all the subpoenas stuff going on, and the Court of Criminal Appeals overturned the conviction of a man out of Dallas County who was convicted based on a shaken baby syndrome diagnosis. In that decision, the Court of Criminal Appeals, you know, acknowledged that these science and medical consensus around shaking baby syndrome had evolved since that conviction, and so they overturned that guy's connection. His name was Andrew work Is, Andrew Worke, and Roberts attorneys had been, you know, citing that case as if you're going to acknowledge changing science in Andrew Worke's case, we think it should apply here as well. His attorney. Robert's attorney, Gretchen Schwen called the cases materially indistinguishable, and so that had been a point in her filings to the court since then. And so on Thursday, the CCA told the trial court to look at Robertson's case again in light of that particular decision. It didn't say, you know, this is a junkt science. It didn't say there are a lot of things wrong with us. It just said, since we've made that decision, we want you to look at this again in line of that. And so now you know, things will happen on the trial court level in Anderson County, and whether Robertson gets a new trial at the end of it is sort of tbd.
Speaker 1: But right, So they didn't necessarily order a new trial. They said review on this sort of precedent we set in a previous case, exactly.
Speaker 3: And at this point, so currently, right, the Attorney General's office has sort of stepped in to Anderson County to say, like they're taking the role of Anderson County and defending this. And as we know, Attorney General Ki Paxton has been very, very outspoken about the idea that Robertson should be executed for this. Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: So let's talk a little bit about the argument being made by people like Attorney General Kim Paxton that you know, Mitch Little Estate representative, another person really pushing this case that essentially, you know, people portraying people in the media, people who are in the legislature who are trying to defend him, lawyers are trying to portray this as some kind of open and shut case when the evidence actually points to a clear you know, guilt of Roberson, right, like.
Speaker 2: A murder would walk free.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I wanted to see if you can help me sort of think through what some of the cases. And I'll warn here, you know, we might go into the realm of fairly graphic details here so of you know, a very young child, So people don't want to listen to this. You might want to skip ahead or wait, you know, move on to next week to San Antonio. Yeah, but essentially what we have here is is, you know, I think the biggest one pointing to well, actually, let me let me just read from the descent in the Quarter of Criminal Appeals case, it says the morning after he being Robertson brought her being Nicki to the emergency room, where she was found to be limp lifeless, blue and bruised. Her pupils were fixed and dilated in the back of her head, exhibited a boggy, mushy bump. Applicants gave inconsistent accounts for Nicky's condition, centering around a possible fall from a bed, an explanation the the medical professionals found at odds with her condition. She died days later after life support had been withdrawn. You know, the argument that folks are making is essentially, when you hear that kind of injuries, this is not the case of you know, medicine making someone sick and eventually dying or any of these types of things. Is that he clearly abused her or bruises all over her leading to her death. What do Robson's supporters have to say about that case.
Speaker 4: I think they have answers to all those points, and that's sort of the whole. I think people try to or trying to make conclusions where that's not what anyone's asking the court at this or was asking the court to do before he was scheduled to execute. I mean, I think they'll say so. Something that advocates for moving ahead with the execution often point to, I think is her autopsy report, in addition to some you know, images of her and those exact descriptions that you mentioned Matthew. I think his lawyers would say the autopsy itself was really flawed. The practitioner who conducted it was told before she conducted the autopsy of Nikki that Robertson had been arrested on murder charges, which today I think people have argued would taint the autopsy. I think his lawyers have also noted that she had a blunt disorder that you know, was caused by her all the other illnesses that she had that led her to bruise very easily and led to those marks that people point to that were reported in the autopsy. People also suggest that she had clear signs of blunt force trauma and that's clearly what she died from, was somebody hitting her. But in the trial record, the doctors who attended to her testified that blunt force trauma is indistinguishable from shaking, and so those are sort of kind of conflated descriptors in her record that people I think are seizing on and drawing conclusions from. I mean, they're just like a bunch of things like that. It's not an easy like if the appeals that his lawyers have brought are just it's just pages and pages of medical evaluations, very technical diagnoses and conclusions that they draw from all these different parts of her condition, and so I don't think it's so clear cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, one of the things I'm going to quote yourself to you. You, I'm going to quote you to yourself basically, you know, the argument around the medical examiners. I thought was a really interesting when the medical report, you know, again describing multiple sites of trauma, bruises all over, you mentioned the blood condition that might have potentially contributed to that. You know, one of the things this team points to is now I'm quoting you. The treating for ysicians who first saw Nikki did not make note of multiple sites of physical trauma upon her arrival at the hospital, since she wasn't admitted with those injuries, and especially because she had that disorder, It's clear they came from two days. It's clear that the bruises came from two days of being picked up, moved, and manipulated during emergency procedures. This is your You're in that. I'm quoting you, quoting a group of lawmakers essentially saying that so essentially this idea of just like what may have happened after she was rushed to the hospital he possibly is now being blamed for, right, And let me ask I mean, I know some of the judges have said in this most recent time, but also throughout sort of like they're sort of saying, like, this is not a shaken baby case.
Speaker 3: Like the question whether or not shaken baby syndrome is real or not, or whether they try it all that like, is not that like there is other evidence that he brought about her death. That and you know, some of the one of the jurors testified saying like, well, we convicted on the premise of shaking baby.
Speaker 2: I mean, where does that stand now? Like it is still a shaken baby case?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: That is also now in question, and that will be part of what the trial court has to decide of how central was her shaken baby diagnosis to Roberson's conviction. I think we saw in some of the dissenting opinions from the CCA, I think maybe two judges said that they did not think this was a shaking baby case, like you sail or that you know, there was a blunt force trauma and clear signs that he had brought about her death not solely through shaking. I think you will hear his lawyers say that that is a absurd case to make, and their references to shaking and shaking baby syndrome dozens and dozens and dozens times throughout the trial record. Like you said, a juror came out and said that this was solely what they convicted him based on, and that she would change her decision today if she had been presented with all these other facts. But that will be something that you know, the court will have to decide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this is a situation where even the jurors are split, right, because after the decision from the Court of Criminal Appeals this week, the foreman of the jury came out and told a local television station. He said that the jury did not convict Riverson based on sha shaken baby, shaken baby syndrome, that there was evident of blunt force trauma. He kind of quoted the nurses testifying at trial saying that you know, she was the bluest child one nurse I had ever seen. Her face was battered and bloodied. We already kind of talked about some of that background there, but then of course you then quote Terry Compton. Everything that was presented to us was all about shaking baby syndrome. That was what our decision was based on. Nothing else was ever mentioned or presented to us to consider, So there's split there. Obviously, you need a unanimous jury in order to convict someone to death, So, you know, could you possibly make the argument that at least wonder saying that in that changes thing, which which sort of leads me to my next question of what exactly are we supposed to be evaluating here? I mean, are we supposed to just you know, the courts. When I say we, I really mean the courts here? Are the courts supposed to be deciding he's guilty or he's not guilty. Are they supposed to be evaluating is he guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? Or are they supposed to be evaluating, you know, despite whether they think he's guilty or not guilty, that he deserves a new trial, or can they decide any of those things?
Speaker 4: Right now? I think the rieman is far more limited. It's if under in light of the Andrew Urke decision out of Dallas County, that you know, there is sufficient doubt about how Robertson's trial went down to you know, recommends that he gets a new trial, and then ultimately the CCA will have to decide whether or not that should happen. His lawyers are arguing for his ac actual innocence, or have been arguing for his actual innocence, which is a much higher bar to clear for the defense than just that he's not guilty. So they are suggesting that they have evidence and that they know that he is actually innocent and can prove that in court. I think maybe some of his lawmaker supporters are taking a kind of a more conservative approach and saying that there is just enough doubt about the fairness of his trial and that he was afforded the proper due process, and we just shouldn't be executing somebody if there is that doubt whether or not we think he is actually innocent. So there is a real range of routes that his supporters are pursuing, and.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that is what so many death penalty cases come down to, and like they're not usually done in this like this level of scrutiny, even when we have had like high profile cases like Melissa Lucy on these other cases that are very high profile, very rarely, I think is the evidence played out so publicly and like, but often it does come down to more than just like did they do it or not right?
Speaker 2: So many of these, like innocence cases, are.
Speaker 3: Did we like follow all of the proceed like it was all of this handled correctly? Because the bar is so I mean, you're putting someone to death, Like I think the bar for many criminal cases is like, did we, you know, give this person due process? But when the bar for this is so high, like I think they often succeed on these, not on the merits, but on the you know, this person was not given due process totally.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to just hear this conversation about shaking baby syndrome. We actually talked on last week's podcast about how I used to cover criminal trials and I covered a shaken baby case in two thousand and nine. I went back just before the show and googled try to figure out when it was, and in that case, there was I think the the medical consensus on shake and baby syndrome had not reached maybe what it is now, but there were people who were casting doubt on it. And I have this memory of sitting there in that trial and thinking, you know, you sort of maybe some people at least I'll speak for myself, sit in these trials and they think, you know, the prosecution has no reason to push a certain narrative, but the defense is going to find, you know, has clear motivation to try to make a case about you know, this isn't real. And so they brought in a witness who you know, was talking about how the science behind shaken baby syndrome was not quite where it is now. But it's hard to not look at that skeptically when you're thinking, Okay, they're going to do anything to try to save their client from this case. It's interesting the person actually was found not guilty in that case, but it does like make me think about the junk law which was passed four years later, and how that might cause you to want to reconsider some of those cases. You know, if you can demonstrate the change medical consensus, it might really mean something in the eyes of a jury, which is.
Speaker 3: I think why this whole thing is so interesting because I think there are people who are just very very opposed to, you know, the death penalty in general, and like are like work specifically on death penalty cases, and we might think of them as sort of being one like political leaning. It's interesting about this case is it's like it's sort of, like you said, cross cutting across political leanings, and it's not Ben is clearcut of like just the defense versus the prosecute, you know what I mean, Like it's gotten very very I mean, I think a lot of lawmakers who are very supportive of the death penalty generally are very opposed in this case.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I mean Brian Harrison, you know, among if not the most conservative member of the Texas House, teaming up with Joe Moody, a Democrat, teaming up with Jeff Leech, a Republican, but who does not get along very well with Brian Harrison at all. I mean, if you follow them on Twitter, they post shots at each other at times. And then on the other side you have you know, Ken Paxton and Mitch Little, also very conservative folks. But you know, there was a press conference right where a big Republican donor, Doug Deeson, came out in supportive Roberson, and so those kind of mixed alliances have been really interesting to watch. I mean, I also I'm curious, as the law and politics reporter Eleanor, you know, I mean, what do you think about just the way this case has been politicized, and I mean there seemed to be you know, we had a story about this last a lot of concerns around just how so many more court cases are being played out in the court of public opinion as opposed to the weighan of evidence and everything that goes on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's been so interesting. I remember like the after that subpoena when we all were like, like the editors and the readers were like, what does that mean? And we're like, oh, I don't know. I don't think anyone knows. And we were like calling judges who were like, yeah, we don't know either. So it's really, I mean, unprecedented in so many ways. But I do think the pressure on the courts around this, I think in some ways is unprecedented.
Speaker 2: But I also think in a.
Speaker 3: Lot of ways, like I think they feel this degree of pressure on a lot of death penalty cases. This is obviously getting even more attention, but like there have been very very high profile and you know, I think they probably would say, like they take all the death penalty cases very seriously, but we're seeing just a lot of I mean, the Court of Criminal Appeals itself is you know, after the last election, became much more aligned with Attorney General Ken Paxton, who helped unseat three incumbents, and.
Speaker 1: Because he disagreed with the ring that they issued.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he disagreed with their ruling on a you know, on a voting rights case and he or election fraud case, and he, you know, has been very overt about like being willing to do that again and going to continue to do that. Two current incumbents are not going to run for reelection again. You know, we saw with the Texas Supreme Court recently with when the quorum break happened, and Paxton and Abbott both went to the text Supreme Court saying like remove these people from their seats, and Michael Quinn Sullivan, you know, sort of a conservative commentator saying, you know, to the Texasupreme Court on Twitter, like Republican primary voters are watching what you do on this.
Speaker 2: So a lot of very overt politicization of the courts.
Speaker 3: I will say, like, at least from so far from an outsider's perspective, you know, there's not a ton of evidence that the courts are bowing to that right. I mean, the tex Supreme Court did not expel those House members yet at least we like don't.
Speaker 2: Have a ruling the Court Criminal Appeals. Did you know.
Speaker 3: We've seen this in other rulings, but also in this ruling sort of, you know, it seems like remain somewhat consistent with their previous rulings on this, sou But I have to imagine they're feeling that pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and I would No one has said this to me, but as I watched the defense on this and having press conferences with a big Republican donor, or having people like Brian Harrison and Jeff Leach come out in favor of them, you know, I've got to think that one of the reasons they're using those voices is to try to send a signal to the Court of Criminal Appeals that says, you know, you will get some support from your right word flank if you, you know, make what we feel is the right decision here, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Doug Deson said exactly, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean, you know, the thing about being a judge on the Court of Criminal Appeals is nobody knows who the hell you are. Right. I don't mean that in a derogatory manner, I see, that's more derogatory about the voters than it is about the judges. But just like people don't know the names of the nine statewide elected Quarter of Criminal Appeals, you also have to elect nine Supreme Court members, and you have to elect your local judges, and you have to elect your Court of Appeals judges and your state representative and all these different other things. Like it's just really hard to keep track of that kind of thing. So the risk there is one little case that people can glom onto could bring you down, and you have to think about that. It's I think it's probably impossible not to have that way on the back of your head, even if you're going to do the right thing and try to block it out and make that you know, go away and make the decision based on the law and the facts. But maybe what they're trying to say here is exactly right, Like it's not just this is not a case where the hardline Republican primary voters is unanimous in thinking this guy needs to be executed right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think can Pack has really posed the only like meaningful threat to these like these judges who are elected largely Like if you're in a coumbany, you can get reelected.
Speaker 1: Based on your name basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was I mean a huge scandal probably twenty years ago with a court criminal Appeals judge who was really in the spotlight after she refused to let a lawyer file an appeal like they were like twenty minutes late and she locked the door, and it was this huge national news story and she was like condemned from the you know, fight everyone.
Speaker 1: And this was on a death row case.
Speaker 3: On a death row case, and he ended up being executed despite because the lawyer was a few minutes late to file the filing and she locked the door and wouldn't let him file it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was national news.
Speaker 3: And still she served another twenty years on the court, re elected every year until she ran into the brick wall that is Ken Paxton and was unseated last term. So, you know, I think for a long time they haven't really had to contend with this level of political pressure. It is probably easier for them to hear from a major Republican donor. You know, if they try to do that to you on this, we're here to back you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So Kayla, where do we go from here?
Speaker 4: Well, it's sort of unclear. The Court of Criminal Appeals and its order didn't lay out a timeline for the Anderson County Court to act. This could very well be another year's long process. When the CCA stayed his execution in twenty sixteen, basically did a very similar thing that they did on Thursday. They stayed in twenty sixteen. I think COVID had something to do with it, But there wasn't an evidentiary hearing until twenty twenty one to twenty twenty one ish, four or five years later, and his execution wasn't set again until eight years after that initial stay, So it could be a really long process or not. I don't know. Maybe how public it has become will change the timeline. Another outstanding question is whether the Attorney General is off is going to continue representing the state in this part of the case. Again, obviously, con Packsin's been very vocal about what he thinks and his office is now, you know, representing the state, So it's hard to imagine that if they continue doing that that they will concede any of these points. So that is kind of all still up in the air. And I think all of the claims that Roberson's attorneys have been making on his behalf, even though some of them were dismissed by the CCA this latest round. I think what's included in them, the facts of those or the claims made in them, are still going to be relevant as they make his case this time around in Anderson County.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it does seem like maybe we're falling into a pattern here though, where the Court of Criminal Appeals sends it back and the court on the ground, the district court does not seem very interested in changing, you know, the result of this, and then it comes back to this. You know what's going to break that cycle? Either way?
Speaker 3: I think we'll have to see, well, potentially some new faces on the Court of Criminal Appeals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I got two people stepping down, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That could be Okay. Well, that is all we have for today. Thank you to our producers, Rob and Chris, and thank you Kyla. We will talk to you all next week.