Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today, Pastor Rick continues in a series called Forty Days of Love. In these lessons, Rick looks into the Bible to help you better understand God's great love for you and to empower you to love others the way Jesus does. But first, in just a bit, we'll tell you how to get Pastor Rick's Forty Days of Love Bible study with six video sessions and workbook. It's perfect for individual studying and also great to do with a small group of friends. You can take a sneak peek by going to Pastorick dot com while you listen, or just text the word hope to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's the word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick with the final part of a message called it All about Love.
Speaker 2: Now, love has to become a lifestyle, the Bible says in Hebrews, the Book of Hebrews, chapter thirteen, continue to love each other with true Christian love. Continue means make a habit of it, do it all the time. Don't make it a light switch. It goes on and off. And so during forty Days of Love, we're going to learn the habits of love. You're going to learn some new habits. Now, do you know how long it takes to develop a good habit. Studies have shown that it takes about six weeks to develop a good habit, that's about forty days. It is not an accident that we choose to do these spiritual journeys on forty days because study after study has shown it takes about three weeks to start doing something every day to turn it into a habit you start getting comfortable with, and then it takes another three weeks or about six weeks, about forty forty two days for you to really develop something and get it down in your life as a habit. And that's why for forty days we're going to be focusing on the habits of love. Now, if you want to get healthy physically, the first thing you do is you go to a doctor and you get a checkup, and you go, what do I need to do before I start working out and all this kind of stuff, And the doctor figures out where you need to work on, what you need to work on and then prescribes a plan of action for you to get physically healthy. The same is true in health and any other area of your life, including relationships. If you want to get healthy relationships, you got to do a checkup. So I'm going to ask all of us before we begin forty Days of Love, to begin looking at our relationships and take a little self evaluation. It's there on your outline where we're going to assess our relationships. Kind of a little pretest that we're going to do before we do anything else. Now, the Bible says that up here on the screen, test yourselves to make sure you're solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it. I love that message. Paraphrase of two Corindon's thirteen to five. You know he says, you're doing this because you want to make progress. Now, let me be blunt with you, and let me be honest with you. True confession. When I took the test we're about going to take together, I didn't do so good.
Speaker 3: On it.
Speaker 2: There were some areas I realized I needed a lot of work. We all think we're very loving people, but the truth is there's a lot of areas. I can be quite self centered. I can be quite selfish. I can think of myself and not my family or my staff, or you or anybody else. So I want to challenge you to look at this and do a self analysis, because we're going to judge ourselves forty days from the day, and you're going to see the progress. I don't want this next six weeks to just be six lessons on love. I don't know about you, but I want to be more loving. I personally want to be more loving. There's a lot of areas I need to work one in my life because one day I'm going to stand before God and he's going to say, did you do the two things that were most important of all? Did you learn to love me with all your heart? And did you learn to love other people not just your family? And I want to be ready for that day. Would you welcome Pastor Tom Holliday.
Speaker 4: So let's just walk through this, just some quick evaluation. How about with your parents? How is your relationship with your parents right now? Just a quick evaluation. Would you say it's poor, it's great, It's somewhere in between. I know one person's three is another person's five. We're not of evaluating ourselves against each other and getting a score here, We're just saying, how is it going right now? By the way you say, well, my parents are dead, you can improve your relationship with your parents even after they're dead, and your attitude towards them and your thoughts towards them, and so maybe there's some work to do there. How about those of you that aren't married but you want to get married. Marriage is a God given desire. How about your marriage prospects? Where would you say that those are right now? If you're not married and you want to get married. One of the things that we want to see happened during forty Days of Love as a church is we want to help you in that. That's what a church is. Where should you look to get married? If you want to get married as a believer in a bar, is that the best place to look? I think the church is a great place to look. So we're going to be talking about how we can become less selfish in our lives, how we can love in a better way, and who knows what God might work out. Now, those of you that are married, you shouldn't be filling this out. By the way, I see some of you wondering, right you should not be filling this out. This is not cool. This is for those of you that are single. Just say where it's a one right now, it's a nine right now? Just be praying for what God might want to do. Wouldn't it be great if during forty Days of Love we had a lot of forty days of love marriages that happened at saddleback, and then like two years later we had like a forty days of love baby boom. I mean, really, wouldn't that be That'd be awesome. That'd be awesome. How about your spouse, those of you that are married, your husband, your wife, how's your relationship right now? I know some of this can be brutal honesty, but the question is, how can I take a relationship that's struggling and begin to see it grow? How can I take a relationship that's even good and make it even better? How about a relative And there's just a line there so you can write a name in. It might be it might be a brother might be a sister you'd like to relate to better during forty days of Love. It might be an aunt or an uncle. Write their name in and then just quickly put here's where the relationship is. Or how about a co worker, somebody at your work you've just matter, you've known for a long time, that you'd really like to work on expressing love to them during forty days of Love. They've just been noticed by you late. You think that person is in need of love, or I'd like to encourage them with love, or we've been struggling and I'd like to love them in a better way. Write their name down and say how things are going. Or how about a neighbor. Jesus says, we're supposed to love our neighbors. That's all of our neighbors. But what's the one specific neighbor you'd like to really work on during forty days of Love in loving them in practical and specific ways. Just rate yourself on that one, or how about this next one. How about a different or difficult person in your life. Don't draw little arrows to them right now, Okay, if they happen to be sitting next to you. Somebody who irritates you. Somebody that it's tough to love, Somebody that justics doesn't respond when you try to love them. How about that kind of a person. Listen, God is up to big challenges. And the person you think there is no way I could love that person, write their name down and go ahead and put the one yeah, it's not going good on that one. And then watch what God's going to do during forty days of Love. And then there's one more line just for somebody that we haven't mentioned. For a lot of you, it might be one of your kids, might be your son or your daughter that you'd want to write in here. I'd really like to work on love and this one of my kids during forty days of love. Write that in and where the relationship is right now, and then watch what God's going to do. And God does work. He does great things. And here's the incredible thing with love, a little bit of growth shows great impact in our lives. Love is such a powerful thing that when I grow a little bit, incredible wonderful things happen. Listen to this story. It came in from a mom who felt overwhelmed by her children, her schedule, her responsibilities, the busyness of her home. She wrote in and said, all I seemed to do was nag and bark at and scold my kids incessantly. And when I looked at myself, I honestly saw a shrew. In my tears, I cried out to God. And she was reading one Corinthians thirteen, and in reading that, she said, five words leaped out at me. Without love, I am nothing. So she wrote those words and put them on a refrigerator and her car and her mirror where she could see them all the time. And here's what she said. I realized that the single most important thing I could do was to love my family. And so I began to live my life by the love of Jesus. I began to run my home on love power. It was. It was as transforming as when I accepted Christ into my life. Focusing on love brought the happiness back into my life and my home.
Speaker 2: In some of Jesus' last words to his disciples, right before he went to the cross, he's telling him the last minute instructions before he dies and resurrection goes back to heaven. He's given him last minute instructions and he says this, by this shall all men know that you are my followers, you're my disciples, that you love one another. The mark of a true believer is love. He didn't say by this shalalman, No, you're a Christian. You have a bumper sticker on your car. No, the symbol of a follower of Jesus is not a cross, it's not a fish, it's not a dove, it's not a crown. The symbol of a genuine follower of Jesus is love.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 3: Jesus said there's nothing more important than loving God and loving others. That's why Pastor Rick created the Forty Days of Love Bible study that comes with a sixth session DVD in World. In these sessions, Rick helps you understand how deep and wide God's love is for you and reveals how you can enjoy happy and successful relationships with others by focusing on the spiritual principles of patience, kindness, truth, and forgiveness. This resource is perfect for personal study, or you can invite a few friends over and do it in a small group setting. And today, when you give a gift to share the love of Jesus with people here and around the world, will send to you Pastor Rick's forty Days of Love Bible study to say thanks. Get yours now and experience more fulfilling relationships as you live a life powered by the love of Jesus. Go to pastorik dot com right now to get your copy, or you can call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four that's pastoric dot com. Or call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on.
Speaker 1: Now back to more from God's Word with Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: Jesus said, one day you're going to be evaluated on why God puts you on this planet for eighty years. And He didn't put you here to live for yourself. He put you here to learn some lessons to prepare you for eternity. Did you learn to love God with all your heart? And did you learn to love your neighbors yourself, that one has to take precedent over everything else. Life is not about achievements. It is not about accomplishments. It is not about acquisition. It is about relationships. It's why God puts you on this planet. Love is the main thing. He said, Well, okay, I'm in. I want to become a great lover. I want to develop loving relationships more than anything else in my life. I want to be known that's the most loving person as that's the most loving person I've ever met. How do you do it? Five things? If you write these down, we're going to look at these in detail in the weeks ahead. This is just kind of like the index for forty Days of Love. Number one. To become great at relationships, I must commit to growing. You don't become a great lover accidentally. It is intentional. You're going to have to make a commitment. You devote yourself to it, You dedicate yourself, You commit, and we are committed to helping you grow. And that's why we're doing forty Days of Love. Number two. I learn how Jesus did it. I learned how Jesus did it. Jesus is the model of perfection in relationships because he was the son of God. He was perfect. He's the only one who knew how to handle relationships perfectly. And we're going to look at this through several different ways. We're going to learn how Jesus did it. Through our ears, through our eyes, through our mouth, through our hands, and through our feet. We all learn in different ways. And so part of forty Days of Love that involves hearing. And you're gonna come and you're gonna hear your pastor teach on love for six weeks and you're gonna hear it. By the way, what is one Corinth in sixteenth fourteen? And everything you do, everything, it must be done with love. That's right. So we're gonna learn how Jesus did it. The third thing we're gonna do is we're going to practice the skills. Practice the skills. That's how you become great at relationships. You cannot become great at relationships if you are a hermit. You have to develop your life principle of love. You got to get out with people. You know, we sing about love, we talk about love, we pray about love, we study about love, but do we do it. No, we have to practice it. And so during forty Days of Love, we're going to help you start developing the love relationship of your existing relationships and improving those, taking the initiative to if you need to seek reconciliation, we're going to help you on that some issues on existing relationships, and then we're going to help you expand your relationships to love people that you've never loved before, because that's what God's watching and God sharing God's love with others. You see, this is what makes Christianity different from every other faith. Christianity is a love based faith, not a law based faith, a love based faith. In every other religion, they treat the holiest person as the person who isolates themselves as a hermit, as a monk. They go up into the mountains and they hide in a cave, and they don't get around people who are even with can mean bad, nasty, and we don't want to get touched by human beings. And so the holiest people in many religions are the people who have no contact with others. They must be holy because they only spend their time with God. Jesus taught the exact opposite that the way you grow spiritually is by getting with other people by practicing love, and Jesus taught you've got to be at the marketplace. You've got to be in the business. You've got to be in the party at the wedding and be their what Because life is all about love, loving God, and loving other people, and you can't do that unless you're around other people. Some of you are going to have to spend less time in front of the computer screen where you're hiding from others, and you're going to have to actually get in a small group. A small group is a laboratory for love. You cannot learn love without being in relationships. Number four, we're going to develop the habits. We're going to develop the habits, and you're going to learn some new habits over the next forty days, the habits of the heart. Very very excited about how this is going to change your life. And then number five, you need to trust God to help trust God to help you and to help make you more loving. Now, this is what makes what we're going to do different from every other relational quote a seminar. If you go to a typical seminar and marriage your relationships to friendships, here's what they do. They say, we're just going to try to be more loving. Oh that helps, Try to be more patient. That's a lot of advice, try to be more kind. If all I had to offer you was try harder, we wouldn't even be doing this because I tell you what, trying doesn't work. It's not a matter of trying, it's a matter of trusting. Jesus said you are to love others as I have loved you. You say I can't do that. You are right, you can't. You will fail. You fail with unconditional love, and so do I. What. The key to love is not you trying harder to be more loving. The key to love is letting Jesus Christ love through you. It has experienced the love of God in your heart, feel love, feel forgiven, feel grace, and then all of a sudden, you know what, it just bubbles out of you. It's actually quite easy. It's letting Jesus Christ love through you. So it starts with getting him in your heart. You can't love like he did by just trying, not by imitating. It's letting his love flow through you. And that's what we're going to talk about. But it starts with a decision. Are you ready? Okay? Now? On your outline. There's a verse Philippians one nine, and it closes with this. This is my prayer for you that your love will grow more and more, and that you will have knowledge and understanding with your love, not an immature love, knowledge and understanding, an insightful love. And that is my prayer for you. That together we will be known as churches that love. And I want you. I want to grow in love. I want you to grow in love. I want our churches to grow in love. You see, what America and the world needs is not more theology. It's not no more oratory, it's not more programs. What the church needs and what the world needs are people who genuinely love. It's all about love. Let's bow our heads and as I close, I want to invite you to follow me in this prayer in your heart. You don't have to say it aloud. Dear Jesus, I want to be more loving. I want to work on my relationships. I want to learn to love you with all of my heart, and I want to learn to love everybody else. I want to be known as the most loving person people know. And so I'm going to make it my my primary value in life. My number one goal to learn to love you and to learn to love other people, because it's all about love. Lord, I've got a lot of hurts in my heart that need to be healed. I need to be filled with your love. I can't give to others what I don't feel. I need to feel forgiven. I need to experience your grace. I need to know your love so it can overflow out of my life into others. Replace my fears with your love, replace my hurts with your peace. I want to learn to know you and love you, Jesus Christ, and I want to be a loving person. In your name, I pray Amen.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. If you've missed any part of this message, or if you'd like to find out more about Pastor Rick Warren in this ministry, just visit Pastorerick dot com, where you can listen online anytime. That's Pastor Rick with two rs inthemiddle dot com, and be sure to sign up for ricks free daily email devotional while you're there. Rick will be back in just a moment, but first, one of the main reasons Pastor Rick started Daily Hope was to share the hope of Jesus Christ with people around the world, and because of your prayers and financial gifts, we're now reaching over thirty five million people every month, but there are still billions of people who need to hear the good news. Would you prayerfully consider giving a gift to Daily Hope today to help reach even more people for Jesus Christ. And when you do, we'll send you Pastor ricks forty Days of Love video based Bible study to say thanks for your support of this ministry. Here's Pastor Rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: Jesus says that the two most important things you can do while you hear on earth are to love God with all your heart and to love your neighbor as yourself. In other words, life is all about love now. As believers, it's not just enough to talk about love, or to read about love, or to discuss love. We must show it. We must exhibit it by the way we treat other people. Now. The Bible says that we do this, we learn to be genuinely loving people by relying on the love that God has for us. That's why I put together a six session study kit called forty Days of Love. It includes a study guide and a six session DVD that will teach you the habits of a loving heart. Now, you can go through it by yourself, but really, how are you going to learn to love by yourself? You need to do it in a small group with two or three friends or even more. Just get some friends and some neighbors and say, let's learn how to really love, and let's study this together for forty days. Now, forty Days of Love is going to teach you why love matters most more than anything else. And it's going to teach you what the Bible means when it says that love is patient, and love is kind, and love speaks the truth. Love keeps no record of wrongs. Love is forgiving. Now, I want to tell you something. This is a life changing study. It changed my life when I did it, and it's going to change your life and those that you share it with. And if you really want to grow spiritually, you've got to learn how to love. Now. This month, we're offering the forty Days of Love study kit for a financial gift to Daily Hope Ministries. I want everybody to be able to enjoy this study. So all I ask is that you help support Daily Hope Ministries. Now I know some of you can afford a little bit more than others, and I appreciate that it helps us keep on the air and helps us spread the message to other stations. But some of you, you're going through tough times and you don't have a whole lot. That's okay. I know you work hard for what you earn. I promise that whatever you give, no matter how large or small, that every cent that you send in to support Daily Hope goes right back into the ministry. I do this ministry for free. I take no money from it, and so you can be certain that any gift you give is helping spread the hope we have in Christ here at home and even all around the world.
Speaker 1: To give a gift and receive the forty Days of Love study kit, call us now at eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four, or just go to Pastorrick dot com. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or Pastorick dot com. Thanks so much for supporting this ministry, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's daily hope and your generous financial support