Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue and Cider and abbreviated edition of our program because coming up at seven o'clock is Kentucky Baseball. Darren Hendrick has pregame of the Cats and Mississippi State at six forty five, but we will be with you until then. Coming up in just a few minutes, we're going to visit with a new guest, Dubbs Anderson of fan Dual TVs to be TVG and he is from Australia and is quite passionate about horse racing and about the Kentucky Derby, and we will get his thoughts on this year's race. There could be more news, but right now we know this that Mike Roppoli, the guy who through the years has had some really tough luck. He had Uncle Moe back in twenty twenty twelve, had to scratch at Forte, the favorite a couple of years ago we did a one on one interview with him prior to the race, had to scratch. And now the veterinarians, the track veterinarians have scratched this year's Mike Ropoli horse Grande and Ripoli's stable released and this is through Rapoli obviously a statement saying the horse has been battling a slight cracked heel this week has been improving. Todd Pletcher had the horse x rayed on Monday, clean, they said. Wednesday, the state vets asked if they could do a pet scan and Grande had that yesterday. Apparently it was clean. Rapoli reports that the horse has been training and looking great on the track all week, said the heel has been improving and was improved again improved in this morning, but the vets came in and said they were scratching the horse despite the clean diagnostics, and Ripoli rites were very confused and all the clean diagnostics and improvement all week had them really optimistic. They calls it a rush to judgment. He said, with a race being tomorrow by Aza, already is drawn on into the race. And Rapoli said, we're shocked and confused why this decision was made now, And he says we were given no real explanation why the horse was scratched thirty six hours before the race. He goes on to say, we love these horses. Our number one concern is safety and welfare and that should always be the priority. But he said, you know, we've taken all these tests. We have a great Hall of Fame trainer and Todd Pletcher and Raapoli said, we're baffled and confused by what criteria the vets are using to determine who scratches. So Rapoli out of the race again and guess what that was the only Todd Pletcher horse. And that means Todd Pletcher will not be in the Kentucky Derby for the first time in twenty one years. Can you have a Derby without Pletcher? He has started sixty five Derby horses, Rapoli, by the way, over eight, Pletcher sixty five. He finally won one with street sense. He sends one another. But Pletcher is the record holder for most Derby starters and it was supposed to be a possibility this year. Well, they're all possible. I shouldn't say that some can't win it, but it's a lot. We're a lot better off in terms of information now since the points system began, and their horses running who belong in the race, whereas back in the day there are horses that did not belong in the race. So anyhow, yeah, that's the news from the backside. And by the way, I had seen where Kenny McPeak was keeping an eye on his horse and this is a rendered judgment. But as I go to air, as I pre record this, there had been no decision made about rendered judgment, but that could change by tomorrow morning. It may have changed by now by the time you hear this. But we've seen horses scratch on Derby Day. The most famous in my mind, APND back in the nineties, a prohibitive favorite, and he had a bruised hoof and went on to win the Preakness and a Belmont as one of the best horses ever, but never got a shot at the Derby. But that happens. That's horse racing. So yeah, keep your eye on the innerweb for updated info. And if you're a better a gambler, I know you will be on top of things. Hope you have a big Derby Day. And again we'll talk with Doubs Anderson coming up after the break. But there is some news to share with you. You heard about UK playing Saint John's in the CBS Classic coming up this Christmas time, Kentucky Purdue in rep Ana in a preseason game on October the twenty fourth, an exhibition game, and a lot of way too soon Posters have Purdue the top team in the country, so Mark Pope gets a chance to see what he's got in an exhibition with one of the best teams in America. And I know you've heard Pop talk about this, but he wants more college games period. He wants a forty game regular season. I don't know that that'll ever happen, but you may see more exhibitions like that. And keep in mind that same weekend is UK Tennessee at Kroger Field, so you could have a lot of fun in October. Kentucky Purdue basketball Friday, Kentucky Tennessee football on Saturday. And keep in mind that Saturday is the last day of the keenland Fall Meet. There's some major news coming out of the NBA, and that is that pop is stepping down as head coach of the Santencenios. Greg Popovich will no longer be the head coach, but he will transition to full time team president. Already in the Hall of Fame NBA is all time winning. His coach led to Spurs to five championships. But I guess he'll be the guy probably who appoints his successor along with the owners. But Pap is stepping down, and he's a guy who made the most of the talent that he had in San Antonio, and now somebody else will inherit one Biyana and some of the other young guys they have. And while we're talking coaching, if you follow the NBA at all, you know the Lakers have been eliminated all kinds of criticism of the head coach JJ Reddick. He's been a little bit combative, and why not, you know, I mean, if guys are coming after you, you can bark back. I don't mind that. But the word is already in that he has the support of Lebron James and Luka Donsig. People talk about how Lebron is the guy who hires and fires coaches. Well, if that's true, this is huge for JJ Reddick, even though they just lost in the first round again four to one to the Minnesota Timberwolves. But interestingly, one of the comments that Reddick made after the loss was that the Lakers quote must get into championship shape. He said, I'll start with the off season and work that's required in an off season to be in championship shape. So we have a ways to go. As a roster so they'll be making changes. But if you're a Lakers fan, you know he didn't single out anybody in particular. But one of the knocks on Luca coming out of Dallas, primarily by people trying to support the decision to trade him, was it he never got in shape. Struggle with weight and conditioning and late game execus cushion was one way Minnesota dominated the Lakers in the fourth quarter alone. Minnesota outscored LA one twenty seven to eighty five over those five games. So he might be thinking Luca, but not saying Luca. You can't knock Lebron. We know that he spends millions on his body. Luca might want to try doing the same if he cares that much. Who knows. All right, coming up next, we're going to talk about the Derby, gets some picks, get some betting decisions from Dubbs Anderson a fandual TV. Then at six forty five we'll step out of the way for Darren Heddrick. The wildcatch are taken on Mississippi State down in Stark, Vegas, Mississippi State. Remember now has just fired as coach, so you don't know what you're gonna get when the Bulldogs take the field. Maybe they're relieved, maybe they're upset, maybe they're distracted, who knows, but they've only won seven conference games in Kentucky right now. Looks like a team that's not only in the nca Tournament. But if it keeps winning at the same clip that it is now, maybe not every game, but if it keeps finding the success it's had, could be a three seed and maybe even a two seed in the nca tournament. Everybody gets in the SEC tournament right now, you've got to be thinking NCAAA. So big games start tonight. We'll have that for you coming up right here. Doubs Anderson next, and then Kentucky Baseball right here on your home for UK Sports, your number one spot for sports in fact, six point thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider A joined now by a member of the fan dual Racing Talent. He is a racing analyst and a sports betting host, Dubbs Anderson. Dobbs, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Excited to catch up. I mean, surely is one of the best weeks in sports, you know, on the betting side of things, second to none, and I feel like there's a lot of great storylines coming into this year is Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and folks, as you could tell, doves not from around here, you're from Austria. Tell me first of all before we start breaking down the Derby, how did you come to be a racing fan?
Speaker 2: So, you know, you highlighted my heritage from Australia and we're a proud horse racing country nation. I've always been involved, I guess on the book side, on the betting side of things, and found my way into the I guess the sports betting landscape here in the States and had the racing backgrounds. There was a great opportunity to sort of merged the two together and you know, just sort of to paint the picture. You know, I've got the best shop of the world covering racing betting on the day we hear from Los Angeles in the States, but back in Australia, racing is up there with you know, domestic football, so cricket. It's just sort of part of the culture and you know, ultimately, I think for the great game of horse racing, we need to try and get some of the young eyeballs back out there into the track and certainly back and getting a part of the big race days, which we always get on Kentucky Derby Day. It's a monster. Everyone knows the Derby, but some of the other big days sprinkle around that they'd be the best part because trust me, I cover all sports and nothing is as exciting as you know, playing the Ponies.
Speaker 1: It just hits a little different. I'm glad to hear you said that. Having been born and raised in Louisville, I've been to the Derby somewhere between forty five and fifty times. I love it. Unfortunately I'm not going to get there this year. But one more question is the Derby. How big a deal is that in Australia the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 2: I'm doing about sixty hours coming up this weekend covering it for the Australian audience. It's a massive deal. You know. Back in Australia's got the Melbourne cob which is the race that stops the nation, and it's it's the same as what we get here for the Kentucky Derby. You know, everyone's getting into it. It's about the pageantry, the history, some of the big storylines and all the biggest strain players. They come over the Derby week, they're all out there at Churchill Down, so's it truly is a massive deal. And I guess you know some of the big names that we'll discussed. You know, you're Bob Baffers, He's a household name here, he's an icon.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Internationally you've now got the Japanese starbread to are trying to win and swerp on all the big races. They don't care if it's in Sydney, Hong Kong or out there in Louisville. So it really feels like it's turned out to be quite the global game. And we see them on the breeding side as well. But as long as you've got so much money on after five million dollars in the Kentucky Derby, they're going to be coming from are parts of the world. They want to win on the biggest stage and this is as big as he gets. At Churchill Down.
Speaker 1: Talking to dub d Anderson FanDuel TV racing analysts and sports betting host get two of the Kentucky Derby traditionally has been a really great betting race. Maybe not as dramatic, although Rich Strike turned out around there a couple of years ago, but really when the points system came into play, the chalk began to show up more and more. You can still get a decent price on a favorite, but can you tell me, have you figured out yet how you'd like to maybe with some exotics, maybe try to beat the chalk or make some money on Derby Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the great hall lot. It's going to be a fantastic cut. Fourteen races in title here for the Big Sadday Derby guns off a rice number twelve, so there's a lot of ways to jump in horizontally around the derby, but you know, within the rice and it's similar to the same game Poloight you've got exactly as trifectors super effectors. And it was only as recently as two years ago that we saw the super effector, which is the first floor across the finish line, right. You could have played it for a dollar three hundred and twenty thousand dollars on return there. Now Rich Strike a bit of an outlivee but if you look in the last five years, the favorite tag gone missing, and now the big storyline for this year is journalism is the horse to beat. West Coast Warrior coming in from Michael McCarty and the team and look on paper visually impressive four wins. We saw it in the seam Phelipe was tested in the sin Anita Derby now goes over to church or its looks fantastic in the paddic has the pedigree, has the price take? What could go wrong?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: For me on a day like this, I have to play against the chalky if I can find a good reason. Now the reasons for me? Journalism has only had one race outside of Breaking the Maiden, where there's been more than four competitors in that race, so it hasn't been a massive field. Sign as we're going against Erta recently, to his credit God journalism the win in that sen and need to Derby, but also found a bit of trouble throughout the race amongst a much smaller field. Now you look at SAT Day, one hundred and fifty thousand people are going to be out there on track. It's a lot noisier, there's a lot of commotion.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Suddenly journalism is taken on a field of nineteen going a testing distance at a mile and a quarter and I just think if journalism goes off here at two to one three to one is your post time favorite, which I do expect to be the case, and what has to go in right. It's not just about the best horse on paper. It's all the other factors. It's a bit of rating luck that comes into place. I'm trying to play against.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't blame you at all, and I try to do it every year. I try to beat the favorite, although you know, I'll play in maybe a saver here there, and I like journalism most of all. But you're right when they come out of that far turn dubs and hit that wall of noise, you know there are horses that just cower and then some just plow right through it. That's the fun part. But really it's that first turn where you might not be able to win it, but you can lose.
Speaker 2: It right absolutely, And you know the first five seconds of the race so crucial. And we talk about the big jockeys, and you know that they get the credit because they know when the city cup off the pace, they know when to hit that go but and they know what's underneath them. Now we always see a pretty quick tempo in the derby. I think we get that again coming into this ship now, we're meant to have the two Baffit runners. Rodriguez has been as scratch. So with Rodriguez not going, Citizen Ball likely with that inside starting spot will go forward. And not to be forgotten about. This is a massive redemption spot for Bob Bafford, been suspended for three years. The Citizen Ball, the two year old champ who was best of my journalism last out. Don't knock on its chances. I don't know if we were really dialed up for a big one then Bob Baffett he wants to make a statement on return. I think Citizen Bulls certainly will be that early pace set up could be right in the stick of it as they turned for home. But as you highlighted, it's you know, every horse is going to have to overcome a bit of adversity. They're going to have to have that fitness, that attrition, and you know, as we see time and time again, the good race horses, they've got characters, the gun personality, and they're really gonna have to dig in and show a little something white. You know, we had that fantastic finish last year. It was Mystic Dan. It could have gone to Pierraly on it could have gone to foreby young that were right there, and I expected to be another close one the ship.
Speaker 1: I really like Sierra Leone and I have to admit, and I know Kenny McPeak. I like him a lot. He's an election and guy h I was so happy for him, but I was on Sierra Leone. We're talking with Doubbs Anderson FanDuel TV racing analysts and sports betting hosts. You mentioned that journalism looks great, uh, and guys like you can can watch horses work in the mornings, and by the way, aren't the mornings great? I love Derby Day, but the mornings are even better, I think. Uh. But as any any horse jumped out at you in terms of what you've seen taking to the track, because that track has has some quirks to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really does. And you know, journalism, it's special to go off as your favorite on paper looks to be the best horse in this field, but there's more that goes into it. I think Burnham Square, who starts right alongside journalism, has looks fantastic going through the final preparations, is trained by Ian Wilkes, my fellow Ossie. I know this would be a great spot. And this is a runner that you know storms onto the scene winning that holy ball and then didn't have it in the Fountain of the Youth and you know a lot of pundents jump ship, but we finally saw it in the Bluegrass figured out and I think if there's been any standout for me, Burnham Square this week has looks very impressive and you know, certainly not going to lose anything on the connection side. Yet you hear from me and Wilson, this is a horse that's actually going to appreciate that stretch out and distance to a mile and a quarter, a distance where you know a volk of the field untested at, untried at. So to hear that from the connections, Burnham Square twelfth to one on the morning line, I think is absolutely going to be there right and the fig of it, and you know, for our regular horse players, well aware of pace makes the rice. But when we do get a lot of early speed signed up, there's always that chance that they could potentially take each other out of the rice and could open things up for that big charge down the lane that we saw from a rich strike. Well watch out for Burnham Square who can do that and watch out for a couple of the outside runners in Sovereignty and Standman. I think they're going to be seeing a bit more play on Rice Day.
Speaker 1: More with Doves Anderson and FanDuel TV. When we come back on the Big Booing Sider six thirty WLAP Welcome Back. We're talking with Doves Anderson fan Duel TV about tomorrow's Kentucky Derby. I'm also curious though about lux Or Cafe. The American Pharaoh called one of the Japanese horses. It just seems like one of these years a horse coming through Japan's gonna jump up. And he won two of the japan Road to the Kentucky Derby races. Tell me about them, the seven horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad you asked. You know, my top selection I've been going on for weeks, maybe months. Luksaw Cafe is going to take my dollars.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm that big on Laksaw Cafe. And what has to that to me is you highlight the trend the Japanese runners. They're trying to take over the big events. We've seen it everywhere extent at the Kentucky Derby they had two of the top five last year and you look at Forever Young now gone to be considerably one of the best race sources in the world. So that's a strong form one. You've got the pedigree for Laksaw Cafe being the son of American Fearer. It's a ten year anniversary. Not that we're just going to back off a bit of a hunch play, but Laksaw Cafe has won four races in a row, has beaten at My Daytona, the other Japanese horses Stuns right alongside. It's Joe Marrera, the magic Man who's dominated the Southern hemisphere from Hong Kong to back in Australia, and he's going to be aboard for the ride. And this is a cult that if you just go off the litmus test from what we have seen how these past races, there's something really special here now for Lasaw Cafe has one going left handers, there's also one going right handers. So just having that versatility and really that's finished. If whattsall Cafe can just navigate a middle of the pack run, I think it's absolutely live to get a big score here on Saturday. So I think Lasaw Cafe could be still sitdn't there double digits come kick off, and I think the time is now that the Japanese finally have their time out at Churchill Downs. I just think it's a polished look and race horse. And I don't think we've seen the same buzz that we saw from Forever Young this time last year. Why, I really couldn't tell you. I guess the numbers. You know, it's tough trying to stack up these international runners to what we have here in the States. But I think Lasaw Cafe is just still sneaking under the radar a bit.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad of you say that. And have you seen him on the track as you look good?
Speaker 2: He looks fantastic. You know, the pedigrees obviously there to build the confirmations there, and you know the Japanese are not known for really dialing it up in the days or weeks leading into race day. All I wanted to see from Laksaw Cafe is that this is a horse that's traveled across well, went through quarantine and Chicago, made the way down to Churchill dead fit coming in to Saturday, and I want to see that we've got that professionalism. There's a lot of distractions and for Laksaw Cafe really hasn't put a foot wrong. So I've seen nothing but green lights. And you know, I'm probably the biggest champion for some of these Japanese race horses at my Daytona, you know, right next door to lap Stoor Cafe is not how the picture either. We highlighted some of the other ways that you can play the Kentucky Derby. If you're building a trifecta or a super effected teamicket to the top four, I think you've got to be looking to have at least both of these runners on some of those tickets.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds good to me. And by the way, I remember what was it oh five where the super effect it paid almost a million dollars, so it's it's worth jumping in there. But that was a horror. That was a race where horses got out, got loose on the front end you might recall, uh and and burn themselves up, and the and the bombers came from way out of it. I think we'll have honest pace, like you said earlier, I don't know that we'll have suicidal fractions, but we may have a cavalry charge once again. Down the stretch. Do you see it that way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do, And I think, you know, that's the excitement of the Kentucky Derby. There's there's twenty horses in the starting game. You at least want to have a taken in and you know, be standing out of charing for your horse as as they might. That that turnaround behind Stuck looks than the gulch back in ninety five, that that was a massive, massive effort, And you know that's what I try and highlight to a lot of bet is. You know, we want to identify the best race horse in every race and who's ultimately going to win, and journalism is the is the top choice, and I absolutely agree with why. But they have three year olds. You know, for some of these horses, they're just making start number four or five into their early careers. So we're not so much looking for what we have seen today. But for me, I'm trying to bank on that potential next step that if we can peek, if we can get that best performance and a bit more improvement come the Kentucky Derby, watch out, and you know, I guess that there's another runner that there will be sitting at a big price for Steve Acterson in publisher, who's yet to win a race. But if you look at the speed figures like we look at player ratings and some other sports has improved with each and every start gets one of the best jockeys in the world. I rad or tease aboard, so watch out. It's been a while since we've had a maiden win the Kentucky Derby, but a horsepoke published out very similar to a mage and you know, I guess mister Dent trending at the right time and that's what you want to see.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one more. You mentioned Sandman earlier. He is right now the second betting favorite as we speak. Uh and came through Arkansas, which which we've seen Derby winners come through Arkansas and Land seems to like the extra furlong. What do you what do you know about him?
Speaker 2: Sandman has that closing kick and I think that's going to be well suited on Saturday. And then again a bit of buzz. I don't know if saman is going to hold that value because people think, oh, Metallica, and we know that the bands, you know, reached out the connections, they sent all the all the team on the backside some Metallica shirt. So I think Sandman's probably going to get a bit of attention there from the regular players. But Arkansas Derby strong form line. You look at who uh Samman b publisher came out of that race whole battle, who continues to shop and give him massive effort on every occasion. So Man's life the only knock. And I believe this is right that the seventeen post is yet to produce a winner of the Kentucky Derby, the five gates unbelievable, seventeen yet to see a winner. So maybe this is the year and it's gonna happen eventually, just like the Japanese runners. Eventually they have that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look there haven't been as compatibly speaking as many horses break from that gate. And you know back through the years so uh before and by the way, Sam Man's a great so people a lot of people are going to vote him, to bet him rather just because he's a grey. It's a great, great day the entire card. Like you said, do you have any anything else earlier on the undercard as we say that that jumps out at you, any tips?
Speaker 2: Look, I think in terms of some of the other surfers stars. It really isn't going to be short if some of the players are looking to get involved. I thought Spirit of Saint Louis in the penultimate I guess the race Pride of the Derby then race number eleven. The Turf Classic certainly looks to be a live one in terms of different ways to get involved. There's gonna be some great horizontal opportunities. You know, if you pick three, pick four, picks five players. I think the three year old pick three is going to be a doozy on game day, So it's gonna be a great afternoon of sports, sports betting. I just I think this one is absolutely prime to see a couple of big prices. I'm happy to be wrong and put the hand up. If journalism gets it done, you know, so be it. I didn't have that three to one ticket in the pocket, but I just feel like it's going to be a wide open afternoon for the one hundred and fifty first running.
Speaker 1: Oh it's always great. Deves Anderson FanDuel TV racing analyst, sports betting host, thank you so much. Have a great Derby weekend. Maybe we'll cross pass again someday, but I do appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Oh you beer out at the track. If we can get one home, it's on a all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's do it. Thanks so much, thanks and I'll do it for now. I hope you have a great Kentucky Derby Day. And while you're at it, be sure you're tuning in Kentucky baseball that's coming up back Darren Hedricks pregame Kentucky and Mississippi State starting at seven o'clock tonight. Two more games this weekend, and again, hope you have a great Kentucky Derby weekend. Thanks again to fan Duel for providing us with Dubbs Anderson. Stay tuned out for UK baseball next year. On six point thirty wlap tact the shop then to take that stat the contemptuous story bos