Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. Time to get up. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, January twenty second. Good morning, I'm Amy King. Big Happy birthday to Will Coleschreiber. Our birthday boy. Thank you, and you came to work today. Thirty nine again thirty yeah. Okay, got a lot going on. I think we're going to be saying that kind of every day because man, things are moving fast and furious. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. First wins Now. La Mayor Bass has issued an emergency executive order to shore up burn areas ahead of possible rain this weekend. City crews have been ordered to shore up hillsides, reinforce roads, and clear debris and vegetation from burn areas to keep mud flows from contaminating stormwater systems, beaches, and the ocean. Because of hazardous pollutants from the fires. People trained to cross the border from Tijuana have been told the border is closed and they cannot use the CBP one app to apply for asylum any longer. Trump shut that down. The San Diego Union Tribune says a million people trying to get into the US used the app over the last two years. President Trump says he would be okay with TikTok being sold to Elon Musk or Larry Ellison if they wanted to buy it. Trump granted TikTok a seventy five day reprieve on a ban on the Chinese owned social media company through an executive order. It is a whirldwind at the White House. ABC's Careen Travers has the latest on a five hundred billion dollar investment in AI what's being tagged one Big Beautiful Bill, and Trump's trip to California that's coming up in about four minutes. And we knew the effects of the wildfires that were going to be far reaching. We're going to tell you about the people facing a life threatening situation because of it. Didn't even think of this one and how you can help. Got another edition of Amy's on It today. I'm on the stream and with Awards season in full swing, I thought I better see some of those movies that are nominated. This one really bizarre. Is it worth your time and money? We'll tell you that's coming up at five thirty, and is it worth your time and money? I'm asking that question because it's not streaming for free yet. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Fire officials say forward progress has been stopped on a fire that's burned about thirty eight eight acres in Harupa Valley in Riverside County. It's forty percent surrounded. The fire started yesterday in the Santa Anna River Bottom. Homes were threatened for a while, and evacuation order was issued. Two La County supervisors have introduced a motion calling for an independent review of the emergency notification systems used to inform residents of evacuation orders. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says some people in Altadena claim they never got warnings and evacuation orders came too late.
Speaker 5: The fire started at about six thirty pm on January seventh. Residents of neighborhoods west of Lake Avenue reportedly did not get electronic evacuation alerts until three twenty five the next morning.
Speaker 1: The fire that started in Eaton Canyon has burned more than fourteen thousand acres, destroyed more than nine thousand homes and other buildings, and killed at least seventeen people. The fires eighty nine percent surrounded. Some renters in La County who help displaced fires victims now have some extra protection.
Speaker 3: The Board of Supervisors has voted to make sure tenants can't lose their home for taking in extra people temporarily during the recovery from wildfires. Supervisor Lindsay Horvath says this is not the time for property owners to be greedy or punitive to landlords.
Speaker 6: I want to be very clear we will not tolerate using this crisis as a reason to evict tenants or to price gouge.
Speaker 3: The board also loosened restrictions around short term rentals, allowing for more units to be advertised as long as they are going to people in need of housing due to the wildfires. Michael Monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: La County Supervisors have approved sending a letter to President Trump, Governor Newsom, and other state and federal agencies to try to get funding for wildfire recovery. The motion highlights former President Biden's pledge to provide one hundred percent federal backing for debris removal and emergency protective measures for six months. Governor Newsom proposed last week that California provided least two and a half billion dollars in additional funding for ongoing emergency response efforts and to speed up recovery efforts. President Trump has said he plans to visit southern California on Friday. I mentioned that Karen Travers would be joining us at five oh five, but no, she's going to join us to tell us about that and more coming up at FI. I've twenty it is five six on your Wednesday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Mike Nabuski. So, Mike, TikTok was blocked, but that didn't last long. So give us a quick recap of why it went down and then why it came back online, and then we'll talk about what happens next.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So over the weekend, TikTok kind of intentionally shut itself down. It went dark a little before midnight on Saturday. And this was ahead of the band that we've been talking about for several weeks now taking effect on Sunday. So that legislation went into effects as normal as we expected. However, TikTok slowly came back. It restored service over the course of Sunday, and when users went to open TikTok on Sunday, in addition to being able to scroll through videos just like they used to be able to, they also were greeted with a pop up message thanking now President Trump for providing the necessary clarity to do so.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 7: This all came after Donald Trump made some noise on his own social media platform, truth Social, indicating that there will be no liability for companies that host TikTok, essentially saying, if you know you're major tech company, if you're a web service provider or a company that runs an app store, We're not going to hit you with a fine if you host TikTok as this law stipulates. So that seemed to be enough for companies like Oracle, which is TikTok sort of web partner. They provide like the architecture for TikTok to exist on the American Internet. They said, we're fine, bring TikTok back. That's why you can now scroll through TikTok on your phone just like you could last week. However, it's not enough for other companies like Apple and Google, which still have not allowed the app to come back onto their app stores, which means that if you already have TikTok downloaded, you really probably don't notice that much of a difference. If you want to download TikTok onto a new device, it's going to be a lot more challenging.
Speaker 1: So if Apple and Google aren't offering it as there any way to get it, or you just can't get.
Speaker 7: It right now, so there's kind of more technical ways to get it. You know, you can sideload it through a different app store, but ultimately for most users that would be kind of like too technical and too challenging a thing to do, and probably if.
Speaker 1: You don't have it, you don't really care if you get.
Speaker 7: It now, especially when you consider that there are a lot of other apps and services out there that are kind of exactly the same as TikTok, at least from a functional point of view, right, Like, why would you go through the trouble of trying to find, you know, a VPN that can download TikTok on a foreign app store and then somehow bring that onto your own phone that exists here in the United States when you can just go over to Instagram Reels and that's a sort of scrolling feed of vertical video. YouTube shorts is the same thing, red note is the same thing. I think it's going to be interesting to see people who you know, kind of came up on TikTok as the app's future kind of remains in doubt, and whether they make the jump over to those other services, as many of them say, you know, those apps aren't quite as good. The algorithm isn't, as you know, finally attuned as TikTok is. But if TikTok becomes kind of unusable, which is another thing that could happen given the fact that it's not on app stores, then you know, they might kind of just suck it up and make the jump over to those other apps.
Speaker 1: Okay. And I heard that a lot of people had migrated over to a different app. And again I'm not a TikTok user, so I don't even know if it's the name of the other app, but that a huge amount of people went over to another app. Are they going to migrate.
Speaker 7: Back now or that's the question? You know, I think it's all early days at this point, people are still posting on TikTok. They're still uploading videos to TikTok, people of course who already have the app installed on their devices, who never deleted it in the last few days. But I think the app that you're probably thinking about there is red Note, which is another Chinese app of vertical scrolling video Shaohongshu is the Chinese name for it. Read that it's kind of the americanized version of it, And the sentiment from many young people who made the jump over to that app is kind of like, well, hey, if the US federal government is going to take away this Chinese app that I like, I'm just going to jump over to another Chinese app just to kind of pokem in the eye. It seems in some ways to be kind of motivated by spite and you know, kind of you know, flying in the face of a lot of the national security concerns that lawmakers have raised as a reason for wanting to ban TikTok, So that seems to be motivating some of that move.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I don't want to put too much emphasis on Red Note because it is somewhat more clunky than TikTok, A lot of the sort of controls are in Mandarin Chinese, and it is just not as refined an experience, it seems like. But you know, people behind Red Note are working on it. By all accounts, it seems to have gotten better and more friendly to English speaking users in the last few months or so, and there have been some sort of interesting cultural exchanges on that app, you know, primarily Chinese used now communicating with primarily American users who are calling themselves TikTok refugees of all things. So that is that's another thing to keep your eye on, okay.
Speaker 1: And we will keep our eye on it. And for now we're in a holding pattern and we'll see what happens next. Mike Debuski, thank you so much. Appreciate it, of course. Thanks are all right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. A man has been killed another injured after being stabbed during a robbery at the metrolink station in Fontana. The man who survived the attack was able to give police a description of the stabber in his car. I release say two men were arrested near the scene on Saturday. Two more were found in a vehicle linked to the stabbing, and we're also arrested. The Trump administration is directed that all federal Diversity, Equity and Inclusion staff bey put on paid lead.
Speaker 5: The news comes after Trump signed an executive director of ending federal DEI programs, with offices being ordered to shut down. White House Press Secretary of Caroline Levitt called the move a win for Americans, calling DEI programs a scourage on society.
Speaker 1: Cafi's Mark Mayfield says Trump signed the order Monday. Trump is called the program's discrimination. He says hiring will be merit based and color blind. Former National security advisor to President Trump John Bolton is losing his Secret Service protection.
Speaker 5: You take a job, you want to do a job.
Speaker 4: We're not going to have security on people for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: Why should we. Trump fired Bolton in twenty nineteen. President Biden granted Bolton's Secret Service protection in twenty twenty one after a threat on his life from Iran. Trump called Bolton a warmonger. Bolton said he found out he was losing the protection Monday night, hours after President Trump's inauguration. More than two hundred million Americans are under some kind of cold weather alert that include places like Philadelphia, where residents like Samantha Kimmel are dealing with single digit temperatures absolutely freezing. Temperatures are sub zero. We have an electric car.
Speaker 7: I didn't know who would even start, so we're just happy to be getting on the train and getting warm.
Speaker 1: The two main airports in Houston had to be closed because of the unprecedented cold weather, and snow has even fallen in Florida. Meteorologists say it could stick around through today, but won't reach Tampa. New data shows gas prices in the US have gone up in the last week. ABC's Alex Stone says analysts blame higher oil prices and colder weather.
Speaker 9: The Entergy Department reports a price of regular unloaded went up seven cents a gallon in the past week to three eleven a gallon. That's about five cents higher than a year ago this time three eleven.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen that for quite a while. The average price in California for a gallon of regular gas four forty five. In La County, it's four forty nine, four forty four in Orange County, and the Inland Empire it's four thirty seven. Robert Murdoch's British tabloids have made a rare apology to Prince Harry in the settlement of an invasion of privacy lawsuit. They'll pay what's been called a substantial sum.
Speaker 10: Us UK is finally held to account for its illegal actions and it's latant disc god for the Lord.
Speaker 1: Harry's lawyer, David Sherborne says Newsgroup offered a full and unequivocal apology to the Duke of Sussex for years of unlawful intrusion. It's the first time Newsgroup newspapers have acknowledged wrongdoing at the SUN. A popular streaming service is raising its prices again.
Speaker 2: Subscribers of Netflix found out on Tuesday that they're going to have to pay more to keep the service. A standard plan without ads is increasing by two dollars and fifty cents to seventeen ninety nine per month. The ad supported tier will go up one dollar to seven ninety nine. Now if you have the Premium tier, that's going up two bucks to twenty four to ninety nine a month. The price he comes as Netflix reported nearly nineteen million new subscribers in the fourth quarter of last year. Globally, Netflix now has over three hundred million paid subscribers. Andrew Caravella KYFI News.
Speaker 1: A record quarter millions of new subscribers. And then they go, wow, things are so great, let's raise prices. Is it supposed to go the other way? Things never go down. It seems like ever we shall see. The strongest winds have blown through, but the National Weather Service says there will still be wins and humidity levels are low, so red flag warnings for high fire danger remain until at least tomorrow night. I do not drink notice has been extended in Pasadena because of damage to the water supply from the Eaten fire, and the only county Sheriff's department says it's going to increase patrols in Altadena to keep looters away. Let's not keep Karen away any longer. Good morning, Karen travers it. So we had day one, day one, and President Trump has announced a pretty huge investment for the United States.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, and to note this is not schedil government money investment. This is companies who say that they're investing in a joint venture. So three companies who have come together to do their own project, a business project. But the President yesterday, was very excited to count this as part of what he says is his plans to move forward on artificial intelligence investment AI, open AI, soft Bank, and Oracle, the heads of those companies were at the White House yesterday to talk about this one hundred billion dollars that they're moving forward on to open data centers in Texas for artificial intelligence production empowering. They say that'll potentially invest about five hundred billion dollars maybe up to five hundred billion dollars over the next four years. But again important to note this is not government money that's being invested. And also this is in the works before President Trump took office, so it's not like it came together in the last forty eight hours. But he has made AI a priority. He's very close with a lot of these tech leaders and wanted to count this very quickly after he took office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and then Karen, what is the deal with the big beautiful bill that President ju, House Speaker Mike Johnson, and Senate Majority Leader John Thune all talked about in the Oval Office yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So stay tuned, and you know, sorry, this is going to get wonky over the next couple of months. We're going to have conversations about this as they move forward. And you'll probably remember we did this four years ago when President Biden took office. This is President Trump saying to Congress, here are my priorities. I want to have a legislation on taxes, energy production, border security, and immigration. Figure out how to do it all and get it passed. And the question is do you put it all together in one big bill because that's the best chance of it getting passed, or do you try to break it up into smaller bills because Republicans have such a slim majority in both the House and Senate right now, that's what they're trying to work out. It's very processing, but no surprise, the president's very impatient and he wants to see some progress and get them moving on this so he can get legislation under his belt. But there is a lot to be worked out, including what the legislation is even going to focus on, and then how they put it together.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll be watching that. And then before you go, Trump's Trump's headed to California to check out the wildfires, but he's making another stop first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's going to go to North Carolina first to look at the recovery efforts there after Hurricane Heleen last, and then he will make his way out to your area. No details yet on what that visit is going to look like, where he will go, who he will meet with, but he did say, you know, it's a disaster relief trip and recovery efforts, and he wants to get a sense of what things are looking like firsthand.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC's Karen Travers as, I was talking to another one of the people that we talked to on a regular basis. Buckle up, it's going to be a wild ride, absolutely all right. Take care. Rain may finally be on the way to southern California after a lengthy dry spound.
Speaker 3: The region has seen multiple Santa Ana wind events, low humidity, and no significant rainfall in months. National Weather Service meteorologist Alex Tarti in San Diego says it's been an unprecedented period.
Speaker 1: We've never been in this territory before. We've never seen a mid January with these numbers.
Speaker 7: Never.
Speaker 3: Tarti says. The gusty winds and the fire danger they bring are expected to continue this week, but by the weekend we may see some rain across the region and maybe even some snow in the mountain areas. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Eleven deaths have now been blamed on the fire that started in Pacific Palisades. The county Medical Examiner confirmed the number yesterday. Authorities have said they anticipate the number of fatalities to rise as crews continue sifting through the ash and rubble. The fire, which has burned more than twenty three thousand acres and more than six thousand homes and other buildings, is sixty five percent surrounded. CalFire says fire crews have been making good progress building containment lines. Utilities are working to repair infrastructure and address hazards like fallen trees and downed power lines. Fire breaks in new neighborhoods and wetter ecosystems are being suggested as things cities can do in the future to avoid devastating wildfires like the ones in La County. Chief Tree Officer Peter van Midwood, with the Global Tree Planting Movement ECOSIA, says drought conditions and Santa Ana wins should be factored in when designing future housing developments.
Speaker 8: I think firebreaks making sure to get more water available in the landscape, so you creative wetter ecosy, but also more palms and sweels where there's water when you need it for firefighters.
Speaker 1: He says materials other than wood should also be considered for building houses. Jet Blue is giving customers more ways to buy and fly. ABC's Michelle Fransen says the airline is expanding ways to buy a ticket.
Speaker 11: The popular carrier announced it's now accepting Venmo for direct bookings when using its website. Jet Blue now the first and only airline to use the peer to peer payment app.
Speaker 1: She says it's part of the airline's efforts to compete and draw in younger travelers. The Supreme Court in Colorado has rejected a personhood claim for elephants being kept in a zoo. ABC's Alex Stone says animal lobbyists claim detaining the elephants is unlawful.
Speaker 9: Washington, DC based non Human Rights Project claimed the elephants born in the wilds of Africa are essentially imprisoned in the zoo and using a human law for unlawful detention, wanted to get them out.
Speaker 1: The court says because elephants aren't human, the group doesn't have the legal right to fight for their release under Habeas corpus, the law meant for human prisoners. As you know, we've been collecting donations and with your help, raising money for the fire victims in La County for both the Eton and the Palisades fires, and that work continues, still taking donations. Anything you can spare, you can donate at KFI AM six forty dot com, slash donate and with the help of your donations, the Dream Center and iHeartMedia La been working to help the victims of the fires. Your donations are being used right now to deliver air purifiers, electronics, pet food supplies and more to areas in the community. Good news and if you have things that you would like to drop off and donate, the Dream Center LA is going to be taking those donations today from nine am to seven pm twenty three oh one Bellevue, that's right in Echo Park from nine am to seven pm. You can just pull up, they'll take it off your hands and off you go. It's very easy to do and it's a wonderful thing that you're doing, so thank you for your donations. Aamy's on it. Amy's on it, Aami's on it.
Speaker 6: Gamie's on it.
Speaker 1: What am I on? I'm on streaming shows, TV series, movies, documentaries. There's so much content on there, how how do you know what to watch? So I do take recommendations. If you have one, maybe you could you could DM me on my Instagram at Amy ky King. Also, since it's award season, I thought maybe that would be a good time to check out some of these nominated movies because we have these SAG Awards coming up the February twenty third or somewhere around there. And I got a lot of movies to watch because a lot of the ones that are nominated I'd barely even heard of. But this one I had heard of because I watched the Golden Globes and Demi Moore won an award for it and it looked really interesting. It's called The Substance. It's currently streaming on Movie, which I had never heard of, which offers a free seven day trial and then it's a subscription for fourteen ninety nine after that, so if you want to just watch it and cancel it, you can do that. It's also an add on to Prime Video. You can rent it on Apple TV, so there's places that you can find it. But most of them are not free. De Me Moore plays Elizabeth Sparkle. I know, a cheesy name, right, Well, it kind of sets the stage for this movie. She's an actress, very famous, turned fitness instructor, and on the surface, Elizabeth Sparkle has it all, but like so many other women face, she's getting older in Hollywood, and Hollywood wants youth, so she's given everything to her career. So you can tell that she doesn't have any friends, she didn't have any families. She just has this fading fame. And I think that the movie in a kind of cheeky but not it's such a weird movie in kind of a cheeky way, takes a look at the darker side of aging in Hollywood. Although it's really cool on a side note to see a lot of older women getting these great roles and older men too. I mean, Harrison Ford's like one hundred years old. He looks fabulous and he's a great actor. So anyway back to the substance. So Demi's character then has this experience that presents her with an opportunity, and that's how she's introduced to the substance to keep her young or make her young Again. It's it has a feel like severance where it starts out and looks like like I said, kind of a quirky, maybe a little bit funny movie, but has very dark undertones. It plays out like a suspense thriller. The cinematography is really interesting and I think you'll get it if you watch it, you'll see it's very intense. It's interesting the cinema. It feels very personal, but it's also very creepy and very freaky. And if you don't like needles, you are not gonna like this movie because it made me squeamish and I don't like that. Also, there's a lot of TNA, and again I think Demi Moour, she's fabulous and looks beautiful. I don't need to see naked Demi Moore, but you do a lot, and then you see the other gal who's in it, and you see her naked a lot, and then you see a lot of TNA, and it's I know, it's part of what the movie makers were trying to do. They're trying to get their message across about the superficiality of Hollywood and all that stuff. But I did not enjoy this movie at all. I can't believe that Demi Moore did it. I can't believe she was nominated for it. I am not recommending that you be on it. Yes you really want us, it's just maybe maybe see it, just because it's so weird. And I can't tell you much more about it because I don't want. I hate to like wreck the plot of a movie, but it takes some weird turns, and like I said, and actually, Demi Moore does a good job in her character of what she's supposed to do. I didn't like it, didn't like it at all. Amy's not on it. Amy is not on it. Now next week I'm going to be on something that is also very dark, but it's really good. It's a little preview because and it's also nominated for SAG Awards. Okay, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Federal investigators are trying to find two men seen on video breaking into a US Forest Service vehicle in San Bernardino County and then stealing critical fire equipment. Kfi's Daniel Martindale says, the guys swipe the stuff. Early Friday, we.
Speaker 10: Got to the equipment in the middle of the night by forcibly opening three law compartments in the fire engine. It all happened in the parking lot of a hotel in Retro Cucamonga, where the strike team was stationed during strong Santa Ana wins.
Speaker 1: The for services. The thieves were in a red Jeep Wrangler with a soft black top and tan seats. California Republican Representative Kevin Kylie has introduced a bill to prohibit states from providing medicaid to illegal immigrants. The bill includes an exception for emergency services. In twenty twenty four, California began allowing immigrants between the ages of twenty six and forty nine to receive all benefits afforded to citizens and legal immigrants. President Trump's executive order seeking to end birthright citizenship has been met with a lawsuit by California and other states. California Attorney General Rob Bonta says he's seeking a preliminary injunction to block the order immediately.
Speaker 7: And ensure that the rights of the many American born children harmed by it should be in effect while the litigation proceeds.
Speaker 1: BoNT says Trump's order is a violation of the fourteenth Amendment of the com Institution, which offers citizenship to anyone born in the US despite the legal status of their parents. Before President Trump took office, Pennsylvania Democratic Senator John Fetterman went to mar A Lago to meet with him, but Fetterman says it's not a sign that he's about to switch parties or become an independent. I'm a Democrat and I'm going to remain a Democrat.
Speaker 10: So there's many of his ideals that I don't agree with, but that's pretty much that's how it works here.
Speaker 1: Rumors of Fetterman switching to the Republican Caucus have been fueled by a string of recent stances he's taken to position himself as a political moderate. He also positions himself as a not great dresser. Did you see him on Inauguration Day wearing his hoodie, his signature hoodie and shorts and it was like fifteen or twenty degrees. He's an interesting character, for sure. Interesting. There's a lot less popping going on popping popping. Champagne sales are down, Yeah, Champagne trade Association called Committee Champagne Champagne. They say that nearly shipments from France were down ten percent last year. Still, that's two hundred and seventy one million bottles. That's the second straight year of declines in Champagne shipments. Apparently because of inflation, people may be saying I'm not going for the champagne and also the glum mood around the globe. The president of the or the co president of the organization, said this is no time for celebration, with inflation, conflicts around the world, economic uncertainty, and a political wait and see attitude. In some of Champagne's biggest markets, they're just not seeing the sales. I'm all for a little champagne poppin'. Let's get those mimosa's rolling. Absolutely, it is your birthday after right thout again. Forecasters say more wins are on the way. Even though the most dangerous wind conditions have blown through. Red flag warnings remain in place through tomorrow evening, with fifty to sixty miles per hour gusts possible between tonight and tomorrow night. Former Lahabra police chief Alan Hosteeddter's been released from federal prison, along with hundreds of others convicted in the January sixth riot at the Capitol following President Trump's pardon. Hosteedder, who has ties to San Clementy, has said that this wasn't the last public the public would hear from him, and added, we're just getting started. Netflix raising prices again. It announced that a standard plan without ads would go up two fifty a month to seventeen ninety nine. With ads, subscription prices are going up a dollar to seven ninety nine. The price comes as Netflix reported nearly nineteen million new subscribers in the fourth quarter of twenty twenty four. We're just minutes away from handle on the news. This morning, at the traditional national prayer service for the new President, Trump got a little tongue lashing from an unlikely source. Let's say good morning now too, the CEO of Kidney's Quest Foundation, Carolyn Erquidez. Good morning, Carolyn, Good morning, How are you?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: Good so, Carolyn. We've been talking on wake Up Call and all over on KFI about repercussions of the wildfires that are going to affect kind of every aspect of people's lives, and many haven't even come to the light, to come to light yet. We don't even realize how far reaching it's going.
Speaker 7: To be.
Speaker 1: But here's one and that's people who have kidney disease and need dialysis to survive are deeply affected by this. So before we dive in, can you tell us a little bit about during normal times what does Kidney's Quest do.
Speaker 4: Our mission is to be that resource in the community, taken them by the hand once the dyke us for a condition or bringing a warriers on conditions that lead up to kidney disease.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: We have to navigate them.
Speaker 7: We Uh.
Speaker 4: We've worked with transplant teams to keep them active and get them active on a transplant list, as well as introduced team to home dialysis and live donors. We are their resource. We are the ones that a lot of individuals just come to because it is a scary avenue when someone just tells you, when when a professional tells you that you got M stage renal disease and you'll end up on a machine for the rest of your life. Right, Okay if you don't get a transplant.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: You're you help them navigate this very scary time in their lives.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, okay, and educate, go ahead, we support educate, I get them to that next step, yes, within their health with their help teams.
Speaker 1: Okay, And are you a nonprofit organization, Carolyn.
Speaker 4: Yes, we are.
Speaker 1: And then how how are you finding.
Speaker 4: By a lot of great organizations, person private entrepreneurs, people that just know of us for years. We do corporate grants. That's how we work with We move with the community's needs, Okay, and that's when we reach out.
Speaker 1: Okay. So Carolyn, the reason we wanted to talk to you today is again, there's so many things that we don't even know how far reaching the wildfires are going to be and how they're going to affect everyday lives, and you're finding that it's affected a lot of the people that you work with, and so what what are you seeing?
Speaker 4: What we're seeing is a lot of patients that are scared, first of all, because either they were transplanted or they're on home it's called home therapy, home dialysis, and there's there's three different types. It could be baby k, it can be home HEMO, it could be PD tartanel. And then we also have our transplant patients. There's a lot of individuals that they were real close with their healthcare team, but in a situation like this, when the power goes down, when they when they have no sources of lighting, UH, when they have no sources of power to plug in their machines to do their therapy. If it comes overwhelming to the healthcare teams, So what do they reach out to? To our organization just alone, we had a we had a We were all over the town looking for generators and I and I hope next time we won't be that way. Where our goal is to raise enough to UH get generators to be on staff uh on our premises for the next uh for for our future, and a facility and a facility to accommodate these people because they really didn't have a stable or an area in their home in the dark to work with. It's it's a life or death matter and and uh and then the professional facilities can only do so much because you have hundreds the patience that do not that cannot get accommodated right away, maybe one or two days later.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and you think about it, like you said, it's a life or death situation, and you're adding that life or death situation on top of the one that's been created by the fires, and think about how it just probably exponentially is very scary and uncertain and so it's good that we have like Kidney's Quest around to help. How can we help Kidney's Quests to help people?
Speaker 4: Oh, help we need Okay, I'm gonna ask you, said, how can we help? Yep, we need a facility. We need a facility for the future to accommodate these people to come to to get them the therapy they need right on the spot.
Speaker 9: We need.
Speaker 4: Generators, a solar flash lights. Flash lights could really a great source of first aid kits. We did the best we could. We've already delivered about three hundred and fifty emergency backpacks. We've delivered about one hundred and twenty meals to kidney patients. We have delivered blankets, essentials with great organizations that have You know, we have just really did everything we possibly could at the time of moment of need.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you want to help for the existing need, but plus also for the future. So donations of those goods and also monetary donations. I'm guessing where can people get more information and make a donation?
Speaker 4: Right on our website www dot Kidney's quest Foundation And that's a plural for kidneys.
Speaker 1: Okay dot org Kidneys Questions Foundation dot org.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, and you know it's it's just a diet that they're on and the area, the area that the kidney transport patients, they couldn't go to these Uh, they really didn't feel safe going to these these home I mean that the locations where everybody was being the shelters because of the fact that there their immune compromised. Their immune system is very, very risky to be around. And they were like, Carrol, I can't go there. I go, I know, don't worry, We'll get a generator. We went out in bottom, We went out and borrowed from neighbors, you know. So there there's a huge need. This was this was impacted with the chronic kidney disease and conditions. Uh, you know there oxygen. We still have generators out there, still out there with you know, collaborations of you know, things that people and that say hey, Carol, okay, this works just out. We're still right now. What we're doing is we're we're overseeing uh a company that's that made you know, that has certain types of generators to see if they can even accommodate the machines at the at home. So there's a lot of there's a lot to be done.
Speaker 1: There is a lot to be done, and we appreciate all of the work that you were doing with Kidney's Quest. And again, if you'd like to make a donation or find out what kind of supplies or donations that they need, it's Kidney's Quest Foundation dot org. Carolyn Orkitas, thank you so much for the work you're doing, and you know, good luck and godspeed.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you have a great thing. Wow, these fires, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two La County supervisors have introduced a motion calling for an independent review of the emergency notification systems used to inform residents of evacuation orders. Gave a. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says some people in Altadena claim they never got warnings and evacuation orders came too late.
Speaker 5: The fire started at about six thirty pm on January seventh. Residents of neighborhoods west of Lake Avenue reportedly did not get electronic evacuation alerts until three twenty five the next morning.
Speaker 1: The fire that started in Eaton Canyon has burned more than fourteen thousand acres and destroyed more than nine thousand homes and other buildings. Criminal charges have been filed against us of people who allegedly committed violent crimes in San Diego for the Mexican Mafia. Prosecutors alleged local gang members were told by the gang from prison to murder and extore business owners. Prosecutors say one business was ordered blown up because the owner hadn't paid taxes to the mafia, while other businesses were firebombed and robbed. Bloomingdale's is closing its iconic flagship store in San Francisco. The Luxury Department storesays its store in the once thriving San Francisco Center shopping district will close this spring. Nordstrom and other retailers have also shuttered their stores on Market Street in recent years because of crime and high costs. Ahead of the Oscar nominations, which come out tomorrow, nominations have been announced for the forty fifth Razzie Awards. The Razzies honor what organizers say are the worst movies and performances of the year. Joker Fallia Due is nominated seven times, including four Worst Picture and while Keene Phoenix and Lady Gaga for Worst Actor and actress Razzie's will be awarded March first, the day before the Oscars. One last note, Fire Aid, which is going to help with fire relief relief efforts, is coming to the Into It Dome and Kia Forum on Thursday, January thirtieth. Tickets go on sale today at noon on Ticketmaster. Ticket Master and into It and Kia are waiving the service fees to make sure one hundred percent of the ticket purchases go to fire Aid relief. And there is a lot of people performing. Billie Eilish, Earth Wind and Fire, Gracie Abrams, Jelly Roll, Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Little Baby, John Fogerty, Elinis, Morrisset Anderson and Pack, Dave Matthews and John Mayer, No Doubt, Pink and more, Red Hot Chili Peppers. They're doing two separate concerts, so you'll buy tickets to one show, but then they'll have big screens in the arenas, so as you're watching one show, you can be at the other show and vice versa. And their starting they're staggering the start times again. They go on sale today at noon on ticket Master, and it's all for raising money to help the victims of these stupid fires. See I've resorted to name calling the stupid fires. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Red flag warnings are in effect through tomorrow evening with wind gus too about forty five miles per hour in the valleys and mountains. Sunny and warmer today with HIGs in the lo mid seventies at the beaches near eighty for Metro La Inlando c the valleys and Inland Empire. Sixties in the Antelope Valley. It's going to be sunny again tomorrow with highs in the seventies to low eighties. It's fifty one and day to point fifty two in Long Beach, forty nine in Sherman Oaks, and forty seven in Lahabra. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist and birthday boy Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KF I am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.