Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Joining us now is New York Times best selling author Charles Goyett. His book is Empire of Lies Fragments from the Memory Hole, and he's had a lot of experience with the military with weapons systems. We're talking to him a little bit about his experience with the strategic defense initiative that Reagan had and kind of get his take on what's happening with this anti ballistic missile thing, as well as where are we going now? Where are we right now in this war? Thank you so much for joining us, Charles. So it's a great pleasure to be with you, David. Thank you very much for having me. Well, thank you. You know, we don't really know. We're getting all these contradictory statements every day talking about an Empire of lies? Is it nearly over? Are we just beginning? We get different stories, even from the same people in the Trump regime. So exactly where are we? We always got the fog of war, don't we, And I guess it's mainly because we're getting a lot of smoke blown at us by the government on both sides of the war. Tell us what what you say in terms of what you're watching.
Speaker 1: First of all, we're not at war. Yeah, then don't forget that we've been at war for forty seven years. So it's a total confusion. The fog of war, I guess that's not good enough. It's this political fog, you know. There. Just to get off track for one second, there's a great deal to be said for the virtues of the founding fathers, who knew the historical precedents for these kinds of events, and they decided that on good precedent, they decided that the American people should have the power to declare war through their elected representatives. And it was because, first of all, I mean two primary reasons. First of all, of course, they knew the precedents did suggest that executives, kings and so on, popes even had a propensity to engage in needless wars, and that if you lodge the power with the people who had to pay for them and die in them, then there was a certain amount of reluctance that didn't appear in the executive branch. So they moved the war making authority without ambiguity, over to the people. But it had the second advantage of having the debate about the objectives of the war clarified in a declaration of war. So you know that in signing the Declaration of Independence, the founders pledge their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. In a declaration of war, generally, the authorities, the relevant authorities declare, They declare what the objective is, who the enemy is, how much resources they're dependent on devoting to it, and then you know how the end game plays out. We don't ever have any of that, And it has the additional virtue of making clear to potential opponents that we're at war with these people, and if you do anything the contrary or that befriends them during this period, and especially to our own people, that would be an act of treason. But I hear people banding about the word treason all the time in the United States today, and yet there is no declaration of war. And I mean, the president can't wake up in the morning and say, you know, I'm really really angry at the people in Bolivia, and so they become the objects of a war, and you could commit treason by doing business with the people in Bolivia. It's insane. That's one of the reasons why we need a declaration of war. And of course we haven't had one since World War Two. But I'm sorry, but absolutely right. But of course that's what this president does. I mean, we could wake up tomorrow morning and be at war with Canada or Greenland. They're looking at for the last year. When you put this in, people talk about Taco Trump always chickens out. I said, this is that Trump always is capricious as well as odious and what he does, and so we never know from moment to moment, because neither does he. He doesn't know from moment to moment what he's going to do, hasn't made up his mind. And I guess when we look at this war, that's one of the key things. He's back and forth. He doesn't even know where he's going because he hasn't even defined the objectives and what winning looks like in his own mind, let alone for everybody else. And if you had a debate with this, you would expect at least one person out of the five hundred and so in Congress would ask the uncomfortable question, Uh, why are we doing this? And what does winning look like? What is the objective in this? And we don't know any of that right now, and so everybody's just wondering how long is he going to go on this escapade that he's on. Well, you know, he's going to go one. He's going to go one to unconditional surrender, and to two. He's he's going to go to the point where oil prices get too high and he becomes desperate to get out. You know, one of the news sites, i think it was political, reported the other day that Susie Wilds, the chief of staff, her hair was virtually on fire trying to figure out. You know, we call in all the secretaries, what can we do to suppress gasoline prices because we're in big trouble in November. Well, that's funny. Here's what you could do to suppress gasoline prices. Don't go to war, that's right. So you know, it's a there's there. There's so much guidance in in the backstory and the history and the accumulated wisdom of mankind to prevent these kinds of things. It's not just declaration of war. You know the story of what is her name? Who let the let all the sorrows of the world out of Oh, Pandora Pandora's box. Well, Prometheus is the one who stole the fire from the gods, the fire of light. You know, that we would be able to use our ration, our reason, and so on and so forth, and was tormented for having done so. But Prometheus means forethought, and then his brother was afterthought. His name was Epimetheus, so of course his bride was Pandora. You think about things later when it's too late. Gee, I wish I hadn't opened that box. So we have this not a Promethean society, but an Epimethean society. Yeah, thinks about everything later, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, when we look at this again, we go to war and we've got our guess thanks half old. We don't even have. The Europeans are debating as to whether or not they're going to release their strategic petroleum reserves. We go to war with ours half empty. Yeah, of course. So it was emptied by Biden because he put sanctions on and then Trump didn't fill it up, even though he's bragging about low oil prices last year. He didn't fill up his.
Speaker 1: Tank when you said, and didn't dump. Didn't Biden dump the strategic petroleum reserves to make things look better just in time for the November election.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: You know, this is how they work. I mean, we're all, we're all, we're all at play, and our affairs and our prosperity and our liberties are all at the hands of these guys that don't know what the heck they're doing and will do anything to further their own fortunes. I saw, I saw the story, I believe yesterday that the Trump family, I guess, the sons, you know, I mean, we're already up to our eyeballs and profiteering and crony capitalism. This thing, you know, I saw riskwatch TV for Donald Trump. I'm your favorite president. Here's my riskwatch. You know that one of these days somebody's gonna really look into the cryptocurrency stuff. But the boys came up yesterday investing in Wardronesaw, they have some sort of a deal to take a substantial steak in the production of war Wardrones. I mean, you know, would Jefferson or Washington have behaved like this or there, would they have let their family behave like this? Not a chance. I guess.
Speaker 2: The most disgusting thing I've seen is everybody is talking about who's responsible for bombing this girls? School and killing like one hundred and sixty something children. And Trump doesn't even have the respect for the American people who try to come up with a plausible excuse or deniability, right, He just makes stuff up like, yeah, we sell the tomahawk to everybody, and Iran's got him, and Iron probably did it and all the rest of the stuff. It's just childish what he's doing and a total disregard for human life. He doesn't We've had the senator from Louisiana, Kennedy, apologize publicly for that, but neither Trump nor Hegseth apologized. They just said, well, I don't know, maybe you know somebody else. We'll look into it and see what happened. They don't want to accept responsibility for it. They don't want to apologize, They don't offer any plausible deniability to the American people. They figure we're just going to go along with whatever they do, and evidently they're right. That's the amazing thing. So, yeah, you're talking about speaking the peering. You know, look at Lindsey Graham gloating about how we're all going to get rich the WII.
Speaker 1: I guess who is who is we? David? Who exactly is we You know, I posted on my x account today I think, or yesterday, yesterday or today a stock chart of raythee On stock makers of the Tomahawk. Oh they're doing great. You may be paying five bucks in California or more for gasoline, but uh, you know, raythee On shareholders, they're just they're doing great. So we are going to get rich. It's a big club, but you.
Speaker 2: And I aren't in it, that's right, which which brings us to replenishing all these arms that they're rapidly running out of. I mean, that's the kind of the subtext of a lot of this is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You had Cain, who's the share the Joint chiefs of Staff, was saying as they were getting ready to going out, you know, we may not have sufficient ammunition really for this right as well as allies. So they were low on allies and ammunition. They're also low on strategic petroleum reserve. But hey, let's go to war anyway. We'll let Israel set the timetable and tell us who we have to go to war with. But when you look at this, and you look at your experience with the Strategic Defense Initiative that Reagan began, the Indian missile thing. What is your take. Have you've been following what's happening, I've seen a lot of different stories about how this is shaking out on both sides. Which side is running out of missiles? First, whether we have radar sites that have been taken down? What is your take on that? Well, my take is I simply I simply don't know. And secondarily, I don't believe anything in State says yeah. You know, the mutual.
Speaker 1: Assured destruction defense policy of the United States that prevailed during the sixties and into the seventies was a disaster. You know, it didn't provide any defense. Look at the defense budget that we had at the time. That provided no defense for the American people whatsoever. With one small carve out, and that is that the governing classes in Washington were able to provide a small missile defense system for themselves, but not for the rest of the country. I mean, it was an absolute disaster. And you know, by the game theory, by the game logic of mutual assured destruction, people that were opponents of it said, well, if we have a defense capability, which is what Reagan was trying to institute, if we have a defense capability, then the Soviets, the Soviets will be at a disadvantage because we can strike them and destroy them and they can't retaliate. And that was the whole standoff logic of that mad period. And so Reagan said, to everybody's shock, Reagan said, well, we'll just give them the technology too. So that now the reason. Whatever you think of that, and I was a being stunned by it, but there's an internal life to that. But whatever you think of him wanting to do that, Reagan genuinely believed that the United States of America is not a country that preemptively attacks other countries. I literally believe that there may have been substantial evidence on the other side. I'm not prepared to say, but it's just been gangbusters since then. I've attacks on other countries, and you know, we're not very good at it. We make a mess of things. I mean, you know, you could look at Iraq, Libya, Syria, the mess in Ukraine, and now the mess in Iran. And there's no reason to think that the current mess in Iran is going to turn out any better than the prior ones.
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah, it has been a pragmatic disaster when you're looking at it from that standpoint, no question about it. But it is also a moral disaster if we can attack people that have not attacked us throughout history. That has always been the litmus test for who has justified in their war. Is it a war in defense or is it a war of a And we've taken the aggressor point over and over again, and that's I think where we are right now. So as people are talking about nukes, and we've got reports about some Trump cabinet members who are building nuclear bunkers. They've got the guy who makes a lot of money doing that. He's not it for Zuckerberg or whatever. He says. Yeah, I got a couple of Trump Cabinet members that are asking me when's it going to be ready? And a lot of people are concerned about that. What's your take on that reading the tea leaves that you see in public, Well.
Speaker 1: I've told friends since before the last election last fall, that I didn't think that Trump would last two years of this term. And you know, that's a safe bet for somebody like me to make because you win so many ways. You know, there's the ugly way of you know, we know he's been attacked or been assassination attacks. But there's also the matter of his health, which can't be swept under the carpet forever. That's a challenge. There is the prospect that this will go very badly and the people will recognize it pretty quickly and decide to do something about it. There's the chance that his mental deterioration will catch up with him like it didn't with Biden, and there's a provision to remove him. There is also the chance I think that Americans. I don't go down this because I'm not a master of this topic. I look at it and it grows by the day, and I guess I alluded to it a few minutes ago. But the somebody's going to have to do something serious about looking at the extent of cronyism in this administration. Oh, it is off the charts. I have never seen anything like this, and this is just it's run rampant. Everything that's not nailed down, and that's nailed down too, that's right, And they don't even try to hide it.
Speaker 2: That's what I said. They have so little respect for the intelligence of the American people. Because he is surrounded by yes men and loyalists. So he figures everybody is that way, that that supports him. So they don't bother to come up with a plausible why they don't try to cover up the the corruption and the cronyism. As you point out, it's all in everybody's face. It's truly amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the Congress, you know, they all they care about is their next re election, and so they they're afraid that Trump will endorse their opponent and steer money to their opponent and so on, so they dare not say anything. But at one point along the way here, it's going to have to reach a critical mass. The American people have are losing faith in him. The Maga Coalition is toast, it's history, it's dust, it's finished. He has split it so bad, and I don't know what gets reformed out of it. But you know, now the Republican establishment is cheering for that that neokon deep state figure Marco Rubio to be the next presidential nominee. And so I mean, we're just we're just in a mess. But the whole thing is going to fracture in my view, before the end of this year, and some unforeseen way.
Speaker 2: Well I think this war is a good start to the big ultimate fracture. When when you look at that and you look at, of course, the Epstein files, that is something that's become a big problem with his base.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that the what files, I'm sorry, I don't recognize the term anymore was something they used to talk about last year. They've they've driven that off the front pages for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, haven't driven it out of this show. I mean, we cover the developments that are there, but they've done the best they can to make that go away. But that really has broken faith with his base that is there, and I think that's part of the issue. I'm not sad to see the Maga coalition go away because it is a coalition that has coalesced around an individual, not around principles, not around the Constitution, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeahga, Maga is what I say it is. Yeah, that's what he told I think it was Tucker Carlson, or in the response to his break with Tucker Carlson, he said, well, he's not Mega. Maga is what I say it is. Well, that's funny. I remember the expression make America great again long before Trump was out of high school. Yeah, I mean, I mean, there have been make America Great movements for a very long time. And the idea, you know, this is supposed to be a government of laws and not a people, so and that should have been drummed into the American people from the earliest age. But it's not by whim or caprice whatever the deer leader says. We don't have deer leaders in this country, or we're not supposed to. So when somebody, when somebody runs on a platform of ending these these these awful, counter productive elective regime change wars on a program, he should be shamed by the people to the ends of the earth if he breaks that val and.
Speaker 2: He did, and not only had it, but everybody that was running with him. He had Tulsi Gabbard, you had JD. Vans, all of them were adamant that we're going to not do this regime change war. Now what are we doing? We're doing the regime change war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder, and I like Tulsi Gabbard very much, and I debate with myself and maybe you have a thought about this, but I think, well, she's got to make a statement, and she's got to resign. And you know, they're marginalizing her at every extent, if not insulting her as well. She's got to make a statement and resign. We know on the record what she stood for, and we know what she said, and then I think, you know, maybe she feels obligated to stay in there and do what she can to minimize the damage. I don't know what the I don't know what the answer is in jd Vance by the same token, I'm not you know. Jd Vance has always been a question mark for me. Yeah, I mean, I've trusted Tulsi, but jd Vance I'm not sure. You know, he says a lot of good things, but I've never been exactly comfortable or sure. And now we're watching this and I think, you know, the only thing he can honorable thing he can do at this point to me, if it were me, I would resign. I'm not trying to say that that's what he must do. Maybe he you know, maybe he knows that Trump will be gone before the end of this year, is I surmise, and he wants to be there to pick up the threads. I guess that could be part of his reckoning. But maybe that's wise, and maybe I'm foolish. By saying, you know, somebody's got to resign, because that has a tremendous clarifying effect on the people. It'll be the topic of discussion for months if he were to do that, and maybe it would have a salutary effect.
Speaker 2: I agree. And of course, when you talk about Telsea Gabbard, I think resigning would be the best thing that she could do. If she wanted to try to minimize what Trump is doing. What better way to do it than to lead people away from this and to cement a rebellion against this illegal war. But for her own personal benefit, I don't see how it benefits her to stay there and deny all of her principles and become a bootlicking lankey like the rest of them. It's just it's amazing. But speaking of Congress, we talked about Congress being essential to declare war. Uh, look at what our Congress has done. You had they basically said I don't want this hot potato, and they kicked it away. They don't want to have a They shut down a resolution to hold a vote on this, and and and then you've got Mike Johnson saying, well, they attacked us. They hit three of our embassies after the unleashed them. That's the most twisted thing I've seen out of all this stuff coming from Mike Johnson.
Speaker 1: It's so twisted. He's he's twisted right along the way. You know, he's a he actually is one of the ones among many who said, well this is not a war. So but he's he's been twisted, you know. And it's not just that. I mean, he is the one that For example, there was a movement I guess Nancy Mace led it. There was a movement to open up the slush fund. There is a congressional slush fund to pay off uh, people who charge congress people elected officials, was sexual harassment. They don't pay it themselves, their insurance company doesn't pay it. We pay it, we pay it, and so uh, there was a movement to open the books, take a look at it. See what John Cornyan has done if he's one of the perpetrators, and you know, see what kind of a rats nest this place in Washington is. And of course they couldn't have that. I mean, that's so flagrant, that's so it's embarrassing to this country's character.
Speaker 2: You look at Dennis Hastert longest serving Republicans figure the House, and you know he was a pedophile. They picked him he as a wrestling coach, they picked him run for Congress and put him a speaker, and uh, you know, we've seen this happen over and over again. He was on with Rush Limbaugh defending, Uh, was it Tom Delay? I think uh in terms of yeah, and he was saying, Oh, it's just politics some of Democrats. There's nothing the same stuff that Trump is doing now with the Epstein files. And Uh, it truly is amazing that that has become so endemic, the sexual mis conduct in Congress and their slush fund that they want to keep all that they got their own fund to pay for it. I guess it's one of the perks of Congress, right, it's they operate with impunity. Well, you know, and I mean harken back to where we started about a declaration of war. One of the other virtues of that is that you could hold people responsible for their bad judgment when they declared a needless war and it cost the American people and it cost lives the people who you exercised bad judgment or or were were pressured into supporting the war by their contributors, which certainly happens a lot. Well, then at the end of the day, when the dust settles, we can run them out of office and they could be shamed for their lives too. But they operate entirely with impunity, and they only get in trouble when they when they cross the deep state, and then oh boy, they unleash the big batteries of guns. Oh yeah. What do you think about boots on the ground. We talked about likely head of escalation in many different ways, and we don't know where this is going, and the guy who's running it doesn't know where it's going. But there's a lot of uncomfortable movement about boots on the ground. What's your take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the camel's nose in the tent business. As far as I'm concerned. They they would have what have I seen? Recently? They were talking about, well, we're just we'll put some troops in, some special forces on carg Island, you know, for special operations to protect shipment, protect oil. We'll do that, and then oh, by the way, we'll arm will arm the Kurds for an operation in northern Western I I'm thinking you morons, you know, Aerdowan is not going to like that. Turkey is not going to like that. You're going to use the curds again for American CANi fodder as we've done in the past, you know, and that will that will be the end in my view. I mean, Turkey is a NATO ally. That will be the end of NATO if they do that, because Turkey, I can't imagine they would put up with that for a minute. So maybe that's good. I mean, NATO alliance has been nothing but trouble anyway for several decades.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, Charles, that begs the question, you know, when we saw everything that was happening with the Straight of Horror moves and being choked off, and the people realizing what the consequences are going to be. Finally and then Trump throws a life preserver to the market and says, don't worry, we'll protect the Straight of Horror moves. You know, first he said we'll do it with the Navy, and then the Navy shot that down and said we can't operate there, you can't put it would be too vulnerable. Then he's talking about putting special forces on the island. The reality, though, is it just just emphasizes I think the fact that there was no thinking, no planning, no strategy to any of this stuff. If you want to do regime change and use the kurage, wouldn't you have started that right away? Had them ready. Now they're reacting to what Iran is doing, and I think reading between the team lines tea leaves that kind of tells us that maybe things aren't going the way they thought they were going to go. And why if you understand the importance of the Strait of Hormos, why wouldn't you try to secure that area as one of your primary strategies. I don't understand any of that, but it looks to me like they haven't thought through any of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Well answer me this. I mean, if shipping in the Strait of Horror Moves is dangerous enough to your ten million barrels of oil that you're shipping through there, that Lloyd's of London doesn't want to ensure it at any cost, why should the American taxpayers pay to secure it and to ensure it for oil that we're told we're energy sufficient, we produce our own petroleum, why should we pay to secure that petroleum that's going to places like China and other nations. You know, we're just it's sort of a global socialism. You know that everybody, everybody benefits, and we the costerers are the benefits are socialized to the whole world, to the global American military empire. But the costs land in the lap of the American people. Yeah. Yeah, And you know it's not that that would be right under any circumstances. But these are very PERILEUS circumstances you've got. You know, now we're virtually thirty nine trillion dollars in debt. That's the visible portion of the debt. You know, most of the debt is under the water line and unfunded liabilities. But it is debt that cannot be paid. It simply cannot be paid by any of the normal mechanisms, you know, as creditors start to back away. I was looking at these numbers yesterday. China, not too many years ago, was a creditor of the United States. When for your listeners that don't listen to these things or pay attention to these things. You know, when they buy US treasury bonds their lonliness money, and the US Treasury says, yeah, give us ten million dollars we'll give you this bond and we'll redeem it. We'll give you all your money back plus four percent or five percent interest, whatever it is. So China lends us a lot of money. So not so, and like as do a lot of other In fact, we are dependent on the kindness of foreign nations. But as as so many others do, China loaned us. They were one of our top creditors. So few years ago they were up to almost well over one point three trillion dollars in US treasuries that they had owned, in other words, that they had loaned to the United States to keep the US government, to keep Washington spending going. They loaned that money in the United States, and now they're backing away. They know perfectly well the only expedient available to the United States to pay off that debt is to print more money and devalue the dollar. So they're down fifty percent in the US treasuries that they owned, and the rest of the world clearly is backing away from the dollar. Look these foreign central bankers, you know, they know the money printing game, They know the Fiat money game perfectly well, and they don't mind fleecing their own people with it. But they just don't want to be fleeced by by our money printing any longer. And so that's why you know, reserves or flowid to gold and alternative global monetary systems are being erected and stuff. And you know, we're our own worst enemies were as they're moving away from the dollar anyway because it's not a trustworthy vehicle anymore. We're driving them by our weaponization of the dollar, by freezing assets all over the world and claiming that people aren't entitled to their own money. And then when we release their own money to them, Sean Hannity and the other nitwits on Fox starts screaming, we gave them, we gave them all this money. Well, we didn't give them any money. We released the money that they owned that we had stolen from them to begin with.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, you said it's like a global socialism, and of course I think that's part of the goal of government and socialism is to create dependency, right, And so if he can use us and the debt, you know, the massive credit card that just keeps building and building, if he can use that to get people in debt to us. But of course another thing is kind of surfaced in Lindsay's gloating, and that is the idea that the empire, now, as you point out, you know, it's an empire of lies, but it's also an empire that is trying to set up a global hegemony on oil. That's exactly what Lindsay Graham was saying. He said, we're looking at the combined control of Venezuela and Iran's oil, two of the biggest ones that are there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder how the American people can countenance. We're self sufficient in oil, We've been told repeatedly, and yet somehow we can go around the world and steal the production the oil of other countries. You know, there will come a time when we're not the big gun in the world anymore. You know, nothing lasts forever. These empires don't last forever. They collapse. There is a syndrome that I write about in Empire of Lies Fragments from the Memory Hole. There is a syndrome called imperial overstretch. Didn't start from me. It's well known. It's well recognized that these empires in extremists as they see their global hegemony or their control of places far and beyond their own borders. As they see their hold beginning to slip, they react to it, and they react to it, typically violently. But you know, their hegemony such that they had, their dominance and stuff, was the result of their economic mind, was a result of their productive capacity, was re tholse of the work of the people and the wealth and the riches that they had produced. That's what enabled the creation of the empire of the first place. But when it starts to crack, as we're seeing now of the United States, the geniuses in Washington, the status, the deep state, the establishment, they react to it as though it is a threat to their military dominance, and so they divert even more funds from the productive economy to beef up the military. This is exactly what we're doing now in Iran. I mean, we're spending trillion dollars a day in new money there. I think the president just asked for another fifty billion dollars supplemental. We spend more than the next I don't even know the number anymore, was it the next seven, eight, nine countries of the world combined. We spend more on war. We call it defense, but it's spending on war. We spend a trillion dollars a year, and three or four weeks ago the President said, no, we need to bump that up to one point five trillion. We need a fifty percent bump in our military spending. Yes, yeah, so that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: And when we look at this, you know, especially if they want to get into a long war with a ron, the asymmetric warfare is one of the things that has consistently been our downfall. The boots on the ground and trying to do regime change in nation building. I don't know how he thinks people don't see this as they said, well, we're not going to do nation building. Well, they want to take the oil, they want to change regime. I mean, aren't you talking about putting boots on the ground and trying to control the people that are there after you have rained death and destruction from the sky. As Warpete says and boast about it, it's amazing to see him revel in the carnage like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not just it's not just that we want to replace the leadership. We want to make sure we name our own guy. Yeah, that's sure that'll go over well, you know, years ago. This is kind of vague memory, but anybody interested in these kinds of issues that we've gotten on now should look up a story by Malcolm Gladwell in one of his books, I think it was in Blink, and he wrote an account of his Millennium Challenge was I think two thousand and two military exercise, and there was the Red Team and the Blue Team, and it was a Pentagon run military exercise. They had to do with the golf, had to do with the Persian golf, the straight of horror moves in a war with Iran in two thousand and two. And the A Team was what we are today. Well, we're more advanced, but it was the same thing, you know. It was high tech electronic warfare, remote missile launching and whatever. They had the equivalent of what we have today that is remote and high tech. And the B Team were the stragglers, the asymmetric warfare guys that didn't have anything. And the guy that led the B Team was a general by the name of Paul Van Ripper, and instead of using like interceptible messaging and cell phones and things, he used couriers on bicycles and instead of a big navy craft you know, used little speedboats that zipped in and zipped out. And I mean it was all this downscale primitive warfare against the goliath, the behemoth of modern technology in America's superior military budget and high tech equipment. And guess what the B team won. And it was so embarrassing. Before they could declare victory, the Pentagon called off the exercise because you know, they were being obligated by some inventive stragglers using primitive means of communications smoke signals, light signals and so on. So there's somebody out of look that up.
Speaker 2: Ye you actually the Machia velly In industrial complex that's out there. They're making a lot of money off these very complicated, expensive weapons systems. And yet we've already seen at the beginning of the Iran War how Iran did not the decapitation strike didn't affect them the way obviously the Pentagon thought it would, because they have decentralized leadership, decentralized command and control. And then they attacked our highly centralized radar systems. Based on what I've heard several analysts say, and that appears to be the case. And so we have these very very complex systems that are incredibly expensive, and of course that's to the benefit of the people like Raytheon who are making these things and the people that they keep in Congress, like Lindsey Graham. That benefits them. They are the we who are making a lot of money off of this stuff. But it doesn't really help the United States, and certainly this adventurism, this empire abroad, does nothing for the safety of Americans, which has nothing to do with national security. National security is like continuity of governance and continuity of the empire. It doesn't have anything to do with the safety of the American people because they were putting us at risk by creating enemies everywhere, yeah, everywhere.
Speaker 1: It is said that Osama bin Laden's fondest hope was to lure the United States into a war in Iraq. That he hoped to do that, to break, to break the global powerhouse, to drain it, to bleed it dry, not thinking that he and a bunch of other guys in fatigues off in the mountains of Kandahar someplace could prevail militarily. But they thought that they could take America down financially if they could drain them long enough. Much like we thought, much like Brazinski thought that we could do to the Soviet Union with his Afghanistan initiative, and.
Speaker 2: What they're trying to do the Soviet Union with Ukraine as well. Right, we're using the Ukrainians as our cat spaw and figure that we're bleeding the Russians, right, And I've heard people like Lindsay Graham boasting about that. Look at how many you know, soldiers and tanks and all this kind of stuff Russians lost in this war. That's what we want, you know this, it's a war of attrition. And yet we get suckered in by that same strategy on the other side.
Speaker 1: And it's a it's so short sighted. It's it's not even short sighted, it's blindness. They have no vision at all to wonder. I mean, what happened to the economically drained and crippled nation of Germany after World War One and with the perpetual payments from the Versailles Treaty of reparations? I mean, what to a broken are broken down people with no hope and no direction, susceptible to us, you know, to the fringe elements like Hitler, Well, of course they are, so what do you think is going to happen if you if you topple the Russian government, you topple Putin and everybody else in the Kremlin, and you break the bank of the Soviet the Russian economy, which is what they openly talk about hoping to do, is collapse the Russian economy. What do they think will take it's place? It was only a generation or two ago that they had the lubianc prison, they had you know, walls of barbed wire, they had the Gulag Archipelago. I mean, what do they think is going to arise in the place of these guys? Have they given that any thought? Well again on precedent, no, because they never give anything any thought. It's just destroyed, destroy, destroy.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah. What is the regime change going to look like? In Iran? For example? And the bottom line is our history with Iran began with regime change, begin with a coup back in nineteen fifty three, and that has blown this whole thing up. They always start the clock forty seven years ago with the Iranian Revolution against the Shaw, the guy that we put in and equipped his secret police.
Speaker 1: It's just a very bad story. Yeah, I blanch when I hear them say we've been at war with them for forty seven years? Where do they get that number? Do they think, you know, it's the Iranian Revolution? Do they think those those millions of people that turned out in the street to cheer on the abdication or the fall of the Shah, they think that they poured out in the street because they lived under such a benign and lovely government. Of course not, they lived under a cruel despotism. You know, the historian laureate of the Reagan people was a great It was a great scholar by the name of Paul Johnson, and all the Reaganites read his history books and they all thought they were great. I guess they've been slipped down the memory hole too. But Paul Johnson wrote a short account of exactly what the reign of Pallavi the Shaw was like. We were told, the American people were told, because you know, we don't want communism and we don't want to visit communism on these people. Well, the elected government Mesada government was no more communist than the prevailing beliefs in the Republican and democratic platforms these days. He just didn't want to steal in his oil and not getting paid for it. But in any event, the Shaw that we institute I wrote a piece for This was published by The Blaze a couple of weeks ago. It was published by the Libertarian Institute and Anti war dot Com. I wrote a piece called the Deep State wants to restore the reign of the Persian Stalin. Yeah, and it's hard to swallow when we've been told that the Shaw was so great, But you know when we installed him, when Alan Dulles the head of the CIA. Ain't it peculiar how CIA heads always seemed to show up in these deals, just like Brennan showed up in toppling the Ukraine regime. He checked in under a false name. But Dulles was out in the open, and he escorted Polavi to the Peacock throne when the Masada rain. You know, we hired thugs, we hired revolutionaries, we hired the worst elements impossible in the streets to foment a revolution there like we do. And then they escorted Polavi to the to the Peacock throne and he proceeded to Oh. One of the things he did was he put the massade, and he put General Schwarzkough. This is a good one. People will remember. People of our age will all remember Storm and Norman General Schwarzkough from the First Gulf War. But his father was one of the guys that was sent in to help the Shaw, along with the Masad, learn how to torture his opponents, and that's where the cruel and notorious Savak were born out of that. But of course the expatriots, the people that fled that were you know, on friendly terms with the Shaw and living in Los Angeles now and are urging the United States to go to war and put in the Shaw's son, you know. They of course they want us to do their fighting for them. But the people that turned out in the street in nineteen seventy nine weren't all there because the rule of the Shaw had been in so it lightened and liberated and prosperous who was a very ugly time.
Speaker 2: And I remember all the mainstream media news events where they would show the Shaw and his family and show Iran. It's like, look, he's modernizing Iran. He's making it like like America, you know, that type of thing. And yet when I was in college, that was my frame of reference. For Ran. I was surprised to see all these Iranian students that were at the engineering college where I was, and they could get over here if they were an engineering student. But they were out there protesting Iran. What are they doing that for? I mean, it's like he's creating the kind of environment that they want to live in. And they were wearing these balaklava masks, and so I asked some of them, because I had a lot of them in my classes, I said, so, what's going on? What's all the masks and everything? That was the first time I seen any of my protesting were in a mask. And they said, well, because the Savaka. I said, what is that? And they filled me in on what was going on there. It's horrific what was done. The CIA massigned at your point, I didn't know that Schwartzkoff was his dad was a part of that as well. But that has been the history of the empire. The CIA sets up and that is murder, coups, assassination, torture, secret police, all the rest of this stuff. And we have to ask, why do we think that we're immune to that here? And of course we're not. And if you're paying attention. You've already seen a lot of these aspects already in operation. They just haven't become so pervasive and in your face yet.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, jogged my memory by you jogged your my memory by talking about your student days, because I remember it was after my student days. But being just a little bit horrified about these mobs out in the street burning American flags in Iran and chanting and chanting death to the Aria, to America and the Great Satan. I didn't really understand, and most Americans didn't, And that is the fault of our education, I guess. But it's the fault of the you know, the media, it's the fault of it's the fault of the state that whitewashes and sanitizes all of its deeds and it doesn't want anybody to know anything else. But I remember being shocked what is wrong with these people? And it took a few years for me to really understand. You know, I have been on a book tour talking about my book Empire of Lies Fragments from the Memory Hole, and one of the surprising things that I hear, I mean, you would think you would think, out of all the all the sloganisms, and the reasons to actually go to war, it'd be something more substantial than this. But I hear, I have heard many times from different people. Well you know, they call us the Great Satan, and these are the people that have been chanting death to America for forty seven years. And I go, so, what is is that a thin pretext for a war or what? Do you remember Ronald Reagan getting ready to do his do his radio address and he said, Okay, we're bombing the Soviet Union and the bomb start falling in five minutes from leadership was horrified. But this goes on all the time. John McCain ran around the country going singing like he was, you know, some crazed beach boy. Bomb bomb, bomb, bomb bomb. He was a presidential candidate. Yeah, so they hear what we do, but we don't hear what we do. We only hear what they say, and the things don't translate very well anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Charles, I've heard some people. I listened to an Iranian official who is being interviewed and he said he's actually a teacher in the university, said, we tried to tell the students what it was like inn the Shah. They just didn't believe us. They didn't believe what we were saying about the Americans. Now they see it, and that's the issue. When we do these types of things that we're doing, that shows people the character of our government. And now he said, now they understand. If they wanted regime change, the thing to do would have been to just set back and let it happen. It was already in a process. But instead they snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. Because then what they did was they made themselves the greater enemy that's there. And of course part of what was happening was also a pushback against westernized abortion and other things like that. In Iran coming in, they didn't like that. That was part of what they were saying was satanic. And we just saw the burning and effigy of ball or Bail, the pagan god with symbols of the US and of Israel. That's the way they see us, and so they burned that in effigy. They did that at the beginning of the revolution, and you know, when they took over the embassy, that is the starting point of Americans understanding anything about Iran. To them. Basically, Iran didn't exist. We don't know anything about these other countries until that happened. And then you had this long thing every day, day number one, day number ten, day number eleven, on and on. It went through the nightline doing that, and America held hostage by Iran. That was ingrained in the memory of people, and it was done without any context at all as to why they would take over the embassy. And of course you know they held him hostage, but that was extended because of the Iran contra affair.
Speaker 1: We don't we certainly don't remember the Iraq Iran war in which we provided you know, when when the weapons inspectors went into Iraq looking for the missing weapons of mass destruction, what they did find was leftovers from the Iraq Iran war. They were inert by that time, but they found some These were This was technology, These were precursors. This was technology and targeting and stuff that the United States gave to Saddam Hussein. Oh, he's worse than Hitler, but we were giving him technology to underwrite his war with Iran. We encouraged it, provided him resources, illegal resources, I might add, to pursue that war. And I don't remember the number after all these years it was I think it was at least two hundred thousand Iranians. They had to send kids out in the battlefield. The population was being drained so much by our and we don't remember. I remember, you remember the Iranian air bus that was shot down with two hundred and ninety thousand civilians killed by the USS. Vincennes and Bush had the nerve to award the captain of that awful incident. I think some kind of medal of commendation. Oh, it was an awful event.
Speaker 2: I've talked about that many times, you know, That's what this Iranian official was saying. So I've told the kids and he still believes that that that was deliberate, deliberatey done by the US. And I said, well, you know, I've said for the longest time, I didn't think it was deliberate. I thought it was accidental because I thought they did the same thing with Flight eight hundred, having naval exercises. It's just that when it happens over American tech territory, they can cover it up, but they couldn't cover it up there. And I said, you know, I thought it was remarkable restraint. Of course, what could Tehran really do about that. But the key point that you're making there about Saddam Hussein is that after they had suffered for a couple of decades under the Shaw, which basically just means it's Persian for king, after we overthrew their republican their democracy and we installed a king who had a secret police that tortured and killed people for the longest time. We did two decades of that, and then after that we i think helped to instigate Saddam Hussein attacking them because as it was a new government and new revolution, thought they would catch them at a weak point. And yet Saddam Hussein really wasn't doing very well with that until we in with additional equipment and intelligence and other things like that, and then the tide started turning towards the Iran, towards Iraq versus Iran. And so all that history is just ignored, and all the history of our intervention, our preemptive attacks, our empire, wars of lies, all that stuff is just forgotten. We don't have any contact for this at all. It's totally forgotten. And the subtitle of my book is, well, it's Empire of Lies. Fragments from the memory Hole. And as people will remember from reading nineteen eighty four by George Orwell in high school, in this dystopian future, the Ministry of Love is where dissidents went to be tortured. They took them to the Ministry of Love. Everything was inverted. The Ministry of Truth is where the protagonist in the novel his job was rewriting history, and he'd take the old history, we rewrite the history, put out the new truth, and then the old truth was consigned to an incinerator that was called the memory Hole. I want to mention, since we were on the topic, the US Embassy in Iran, and I talk about this an Empire of Wise. There is a it is now a museum of what the people there went through under the Shah of Iran and the spying CIA they took. Oh yeah, at the time, at the time that the embassy was stormed, the employees began shredding documents furiously. Imagine this, the students they were supposed to be, these crazed out of their mind students. They went through the laborious process. I think it must have taken them years of pasting all those shredded things together and reconstituting all the destroyed documents that the CIA and the embassy staff destroyed about what had gone on there. And you see case after case they have, you know, rooms where there were the eves dropping room. This is where they did this, This is where the CIA did that, and so on. And they have reconstituted those documents so that the people in Iran can familiarize themselves with the politicians that we were paying off, the freedom movements, that we were subverting, the measures that would liberate the country, the measures that would empower the central government more at the expense of the people, or engage them in warfare at the Iranian people's expense. All those shredded documents of CIA spying for years and running the government and bribing and paying it off are all there for the Iranian people to see. Now, the American people don't know anything about that. Yeah, but it's been reconstituted. And so when you wonder why, you know, they say death to America, they have within the within the recall.
Speaker 1: Of living Americans, they have an idea of what we were doing at that time.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, that's amazing. Well, maybe they could do us the same favor. For the Epstein documents.
Speaker 1: So I think.
Speaker 2: Students like I'm over here and piece together.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry Epstein the nigh rings of Bell, but I'm not sure I remember. It's slipping down the memory hole too well.
Speaker 2: I guess they can't put together those shredded desk drives that are.
Speaker 1: But that's a different challenge. Yeah, that's right now.
Speaker 2: Tell us a little bit about the book The Empire Lies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the book is it's not just a collection of the sequential lies of the Empire. It also covers the media and the media as the lap dog press that furthers the deep State. I'm pretty clear about these terms. I don't toss them along casually. The deep state is identified. I identify the deep state as the executive arm of the global American Empire. My executive arm. I mean they call the shots, and they are a collective. They are like bees in a hive. They don't sting one another, but they have different jobs. The deep State is not coordinated by a central authority, but they all work like the bees in the hive, for the good of the hive. And of course it is a mistake. It's common enough for people to believe that the deep state is consigned to a few actors, you know, like Brennan and Clapper, who both lied to Congress, by the way, and felt no repercussions for having done so. I remember Clapper. Clapper said, well, when he was when he was caught lying about the US's surveillance on American citizens, illegal surveillance, he answered under oath in Congress. I think it was Senator Widen that asked him, no, we don't you know, we don't do that. No, no, we don't do that. And when he was caught up, he offered this excuse, Well, I gave the least untruthful answer I could give. But when these people are when these people are sworn in, they're not sworn in for the least untruthful answer there. They're sworn in for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. But it's not just those guys. The deep state works its way all the way down through a bureaue crisy of minor petty bureaucrats. And one of them that I cite just to represent the case is Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Vinman, who is on Trump's National Security Council in the first term, and he's the one that set the wheels in motion for the first Trump impeachment And what was his what was the graviman of his complaint against against Trump? It was this and he told he said this to Congress. It was well, the problem with Trump, he said, is he is not following the UH the interagency consensus on Ukraine. And we have to ask ourselves what is an interagency and where does that appear in the constitution, and how does it operate? And does it vote? And who gets a vote? And where does it fit in the balance of power and the checks and balances, and who's a member of the interagency? And can I be a member? And who do they benefit? And where are the records of their meetings and so on. I mean, it's pure balderdash, but that the deep state, and that's not just the heads of the CIA, in the NSA or the FBI. That is all the way down the bureaucracy. And yet it's it's so typical. And then, if you'll indulge me, one more thing is the role that the lap dog press plays in this thing. And there is a I identify this. I think it's very worth reading. Just if it were just this alone, is this this syndrome. You won't find this in any standard psychiatric diagnostic manuals, but I have identified it, and I think it should be in the manuals. And I call it combat envy. And it's very, very ubiquitous in the halls of government, this combat envy syndrome. You know, you could run into a guy, I suppose at a bar at some point in your life that tells you tales of daring do about you know, I was a navy sealer or greenberry in Vietnam and so, and it doesn't do it any really any harm. But when these elected officials are leading newscasters and opinion makers in the United States make up these lies about where they have been and what they have done and cheering on our wars for national television audiences, it's pretty destructive. Fox News had a guy named Wayne Simmons that they used for years, and he was a national security former CIA expert, and he came on there with the most nonsensical, warmongering, crazed advice and they liked him, and that's why they brought him back year after year because he fit the network's agenda. He'd come up with stuff about you know, well, you know, we need a ground it's ten fifteen years ago. We need a ground invasion of Iraq. So eventually, I guess some of the real CIA guys got a little tired of his balder dash and they blew a whistle on him. And it turned out he wasn't a national security guy, and he wasn't a former CIA guy. He was a doorman and a hot tub manager and a felon too, so they had to get rid of him. But look, you had Brian Williams on NBC. Brian Williams made up his own personal tales of close calls, talking about well, in the first Iraq War, I was part of this helicopter assault and we flew in and then the RPGs were flying at us and it was harrowing and we had to do a corkscrew landing and I came within. And then with each retelling he would embellish the story, and it got worse and worse. Oh, I saw an RPG and it was headed right down and I could see the tube and it was headed right at us, and it was this, and it got bigger and bigger, and finally the guys that were actually on the mission and by the way the name of the mission was Big Wendy. I guess they anticipated Bryan Williams role in it, but the guys that were actually the men in the mission told the story to the Stars and stripes. So Brian Williams got found out for his embellished tales of combat envy. And when he was found out he said, oh uh I uh I must I must have had a brain tumor as he tried to excuse himself. And the network that you know, we trust feeding us reliable news and information, having known now that their primary anchor was lying to us, they suspended him for a while. They didn't care enough about the credibility of their network or their news anchors, or the trust that the American people might lodge him to get rid of him, to apologize for him. They suspended him, and then they gave him back another slot. I think he anchored MSNBC for years after that. So this stuff goes on. You know, there are countless officials that engage in this combat envy stuff. There are commentators the next time we visit, or maybe people want to just buy the book and read the story of Oh there's a good one, Bill O'Reilly on Fox and his combat envy. It's borders on the ridiculous. So I charged some of these things so people can see this is the deep state and now it works. This is the establishment, the American political stabling, This is their role. This is the lapdog press. But the point of it all I tried to tried to direct people too, is if we do not begin to honor, to demand and to honor the truth of our press, of our public officials, of the so called American establishment, if we don't demand the truth of them, then this is our fate. And I walk you right up to the ragged edge. This is our fate if we don't. And there is no sign yet that the American people have turned to maybe this Iran war will be the last strong people wake up.
Speaker 2: Well hope so, And it is good to go back and to remind ourselves of how we got here and this long trail of lies and deceptions, which is what your book does you know we're hearing this week. We've got the psycho chamber throughout media, both left and right of the short term pain, long term gain, and they're on this slogan all the time. It's like you talk about the complicity of the media. And you talk about people who present themselves as intelligence experts. I worked at a place where that person was steep that kept coming back on and he was selling one lie, crazy lie after the other. It was much worse stuff than what you were talking about from the NBC anchor. But again, nobody ever pays any penalties for that. The people they know that if they lie to people, and if it's sensatial enough, they get viewership, and they know that once they're caught in that lie, that it's not going to affect them whatsoever, because you know, people are entertained by it, and I think there is a certain aspect of it that they don't really care if it's true as long as they're entertained by it, right.
Speaker 1: Right, They don't they don't really care if it's true. You know, you mentioned earlier and we didn't really talk about it, but you mentioned earlier twa flight eight hundred, and it was so peculiar amidst all the misinformation. Eyewitnesses to the event testified that they saw a streak of you know, come up from the horizon or come up from the sea and hit the aircraft and stuff, and they gave they gave statements to the FBI. They were dumbfounded. Later at the end of the investigation when they're they got a chance to see their statements that they had given themselves the FBI and they'd all been changed. Yeah, they were a little dumbfounded by it. But the CIA, this was unprecedented. The CIA actually put out a video. I remember seeing it on YouTube, and it was this comical nineteen fifties announcer style and they said, and it was in like, you know, all caps, red letters, underscored and stuff. In this video they put together, the people did not see a missile take down TWA eight hundred and Okay, whatever you say, Sure that that works. Magic bullet too, bullet too, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got Voice of America. They're used to that kind of that kind of broadcast style. It just doesn't cut it anymore with most people. It also doesn't help when you've got people who are air traffic controllers saying the FBI came by and stole the records that we had showing what was going on.
Speaker 1: With this missile.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the FBI. I refer to them as fed's blocking investigation, because that seems to be what they're doing more often than not. But thank you so much for reminding people again. The book is Empire of Lies, fragments from the memory hole. We need to be reminded of this long history that we have. It's bipartisan and it is what the true government of our country is. Forget about these elections. It's the true government that's running it, which is the deep state of shar Hone about this bureaucracy that remains there from whoever wins the election. They're the ones who really calling the shots and calling the coups and the wars as well. Thank you so much for joining us, Charles Goyette. And you have a website I do.
Speaker 1: It's Charlesgoyette dot com. Have another one, Empire Offlies dot com. You can find a little bit of information about the book there and links to buy it, like on Amazon. So great. That would be great, and I think everybody will find it very compelling. It is I actually, I'll tell you, actually, David, it's pretty juicy too.
Speaker 2: Certainly sounds like it. I'm anxious to see it myself. Thank you so much for joining us, Charles. Yeah, thank you, David. I appreciate you very much. Thank you the common man. They created common Core and dumbed down our children. They created common past, track and control us their Commons project to make sure the commoners own nothing and the communist future. They see the common man as simple, not sophisticated ordinary. But each of us has worth and dignity created in the image of God. That is what we have in common. That is what they want to take away. Their most powerful weapons are isolation, deception, intimidation. They desire to know everything about us, while they hide everything from us.
Speaker 1: It's time to turn that around.
Speaker 2: And expose what they want to hide. Please share the information and links you'll find at Thedavidnightshow dot com. Thank you for listening, Thank you for sharing. If you can't support us financially, please keep us in your prayers. Ddavidnightshow dot com