Speaker 1: Greatly.
Speaker 2: What's that scraggly stuff going over there.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's posty, wild posty, and it's sprung up by itself. Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomran is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Havareine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, plants are meant to grow outdoors, and as our guests will tell us, this includes cannabis.
Speaker 3: We're delighted to chat with Joanna Silver, a garden writer and author of the book Growing Weed in the Garden, a no fuss seed to stash guide to outdoor cannabis cultivation. Joanna, Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I'm delighted to be here.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't call yourself a stoner, and yet you wrote this book. How did this project come about?
Speaker 5: Well, high school, Joanna would have told you that this book was meant to be. It was beshers but actually I am a longtime garden writer, and I got my start at a magazine out here called Sunset, and I started designing and building small gardens for the editorial test garden. So I come about my cultivation skills honestly. And I lost my job in twenty seventeen and was desperate to keep writing, so I reached out to every editor I'd ever worked with, and one of them had landed at the San Francisco Chronicle. And this was just on the cusp of recreational cultivation and us going into effect, and everyone was curious how to talk about it and how to handle it. And she said she had this idea that a seasoned gardener would grow it in their backyard and tell people how to do it. And I told her, I don't even know where to get seeds, and she said, that's your opening line.
Speaker 4: And that's how this came to be.
Speaker 5: I did a ten part series for the Chronicle, and all the information I found was written for dudes by dudes in basements with equipment and tents and all sorts of scary filters.
Speaker 2: I grow sticky, fat, dank nugs. I love growing marijuana outdoors, but I find so many advantages to grow in marijuana indoors, and that's what this show is about.
Speaker 5: And none of it was just like growing it outdoors in your garden.
Speaker 4: So it was basically a book waiting to happen.
Speaker 1: You're reminding me of the house that I live in now. Before we moved in, the previous residents here they turned the whole house into a potform an indoor thing quite illegal. They changed all the plumbing and electricity and all that kind of stuff, So I mean benefit for us, The house was completely new when we moved in because they had to redo everything. I just learned, because I'm not an aficionado in this, that you're only allowed to grow like six plants. Is that true?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's six per had six per person in your households, so you can get up to quite a few going. But it is in California at six per person, and people have been busted.
Speaker 1: You described cannabis as one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world. Could you take us through some of that history.
Speaker 5: So, along with plants like barley and wheat and rice and flax, these old ancient plants were cultivated, which just means they were bred by humans. To get more desirable traits because of how useful they were, And indeed, weed is one of the most useful plants. It's fibers, the hemp fiber was spun intopes and woven into textiles and made into sales, and eventually paper and seeds were pressed for oil, and also eaten and flowers were smoked or incensed for ceremony or perhaps medicinal purposes.
Speaker 1: In the archaeological record, we do know that like in ancient Israel, for instance, weed does appear, and Joey was saying, maybe it has something to do with incense in the temple as well. There's certain theories about that. Do we know that the ancients were smoking it and getting high or were they using it for all this other stuff or both.
Speaker 5: What I've read about fossils found is that it suggests more it was incensed in areas and not like smoked out of pipes or things like that.
Speaker 3: Why do we call it weed? Is it technically a weed? What is a weed? Anyway?
Speaker 5: Well, it's a great question. There are indeed a lot of names for this plant. You may have noticed the ice deeer clear of marijuana, and that is because that word has roots in racism and xenophobia. Comes from Mexican Spanish, and it was really pegged on immigrants in the coming from Mexico at the beginning of the twentieth century and used to stigmatize the plant, stigmatize the people the immigration, and painted as a dangerous vice. So I really steer clear of marijuana.
Speaker 4: Cannabis.
Speaker 5: Latin term and weed has also been around since at least the beginning of the twentieth century, but really fell into popularity in the nineties, which is probably why I am so comfortable using it as that was my weed era. Weed is a word that just means anything growing where you don't want.
Speaker 4: It to grow.
Speaker 5: So weed does grow pretty adaptably all around the world, and so I know that in the Midwest it's called ditch weed. These like not very pungent more hemp varieties grow.
Speaker 4: Just like in roads and stuff.
Speaker 5: But it's weeds are Weed is just plant that you don't want growing where it's growing.
Speaker 3: That was what I learned back in my environmentalist days in Long Beach, when I was, you know, an environmental steward. That was what they taught me. A weed was was just any plant you didn't want growing there.
Speaker 4: Exactly like a dandy lyon.
Speaker 3: Right right, And when you say ditch weed, I'm also thinking, you know, I think I've heard that there's a lot of weed growing in Pyongyang in other parts of North Korea, and I don't know, I don't think it's like high quality cinsama, but I think that they are, you know, there there's like you say, yeah, it kind of grows everywhere.
Speaker 1: Absolutely speaking of high quality weed. When I was in high school, I was on a ski trip in Idaho and my cousin who was working there, was into this stuff, and he gave me some Alaskan thunder fuck, which apparently is like one of the better, like more like potent versions, and it totally floored me. I was not used to it, even in its mild form, and it it knocked me out pretty good.
Speaker 4: What did Stone Jonathan look like?
Speaker 1: I think I was probably wearing a tied I shirt with very long hair and quite a bit of acne, I think at that time as well.
Speaker 3: I also remember when my aunt came over to my house when I was living in Long Beach and she brought skittles, and that was the one that floored me. And I've sort of been on a quest ever since then to see if it still exists. But I don't think. I mean, as you go into in the book, these cultivars are pretty ephemeral and a little bit sketchy, and I think you do a good job of also describing how it's a wild West out there because it's been underground and it's been prohibited for so long that they haven't had the opportunity to really get scientific with it and find out what all these cultivars are. I really appreciated that aspect of your book.
Speaker 5: Absolutely nobody was taking good notes or records of what they were breeding, because that could have just added to your jail sentence.
Speaker 3: Enjoying the show, click like and subscribe.
Speaker 1: You note that growing weed is perfect for people knew gardening. Why is that?
Speaker 4: It's true?
Speaker 5: It's a perfect starter plant. First of all, it's not a big commitment. It's one growing season, so think tomato late spring to early fall, or you can get even shorter breeds than that, shorter varieties than that, so not a long term commitment. Grows super fast, super quickly, super big, depending on variety. It's really a dramatic plant. It grows, it does all this leafy growth and then switches to flowering, and that's just a really dramatic effect to watch happen. The smells are hilarious. If you have any weed in your past and suddenly you're growing in your garden, it's just completely amusing. And they're super funky smells, mango or you know, people are selling them based on like gasoline smells, all sorts of weird smells.
Speaker 4: The flowers are unworldly. It's not like.
Speaker 5: Your typical flower garden, but they're beautiful. It's also a really fussy plant. It's drought tolerant, as we've said, it grows everywhere. It's really adaptable, so it doesn't need a ton of water, it doesn't need a lot of fertilizer, it doesn't need a lot of stuff, and it's just a great fun crop to try out for the first time.
Speaker 3: I also really appreciate it. In your book. You know, there's beautiful pictures of people's gardens where they're going next to lantana and Dahlia's, you know, some of my wife's and her aunt's favorite plants. And I thought, yeah, I mean, my wife would really appreciate this book, even though she's really not a stoner, but Another thing I really appreciated about your book In This Realm was the way you described a gardener as somebody who I can't remember, I'm gonna misquote you on it, but you know, somebody who kills plants and then learns how to do it better the next time. And it was so empowering and liberating for me to think, oh, Okay, I'm a gardener too. I can get there, I can experiment and get better at this.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. And I wrote it with two readers in mind. One was my sister in law, who's a total stoner but never touched the soil, and I thought if anything could get her to touch soil, it would be weed. So I wanted her to be able to walk her through it that simply. And then the other is like somebody I used to work with who's a gardener, but, like your wife, no interest in weed, and why not expand her horizons to include this into her garden as well.
Speaker 3: You write that there is nothing else in the world so widely grown but so little understood and yet to be studied. What do you make of all the excitement around weed?
Speaker 5: Well, every other plant has had generations of scientific research that's gone into it at that at this point, and because of prohibition, weed has really missed out, so be it agricultural reasons like disease resistance or better yield, or tracing varieties like we're talking about tracing cultivars and knowing their histories to medicinal potential, We've just really it's just all untapped potential at this point. And I think that's what a lot of the excitement is about.
Speaker 1: What do you make also of like the medical benefits or I mean, do you do you buy into that completely or is some of that exaggerated?
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I I as a non stoner but well versed in a previous life, I never found anything to help me based on strain. So like if a strain was supposed to do X, I never felt that benefit. Even if it was like sleep or anxiety reduction, they all sort of had the same impact on me, which is make me want to dance and clean a closet. So I steer very clear from recommending cultivars for people. And in terms of the medical potential, I think it's huge, but I think I'm like a modern science type of gal. I'm gonna go to the doctor and have them tell me what to take type of a gal, so I will wait until that research comes down the pipeline.
Speaker 1: Have you heard from people who have used your book as a growing manual?
Speaker 4: So yes, this is so lovely.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Merrik Community College in Oakland. They actually used the book as they're growing manual for their outdoor cultivation class. The program got cut due to budget cut, so that's not happening anymore.
Speaker 4: Not to suit my own horn, but.
Speaker 5: I do hear from people reaching out quite a bit that have used the book year after year, and I think they really appreciate it because I'm a no fuss, not a very babying type of gardener to the plant. Like it's sort of like tough love and you don't have to do a lot. I'm not trying to like maximize yields with any weird pruning techniques that were created frankly because people were growing indoors trying to compensate for not having the sunshine just moving across the sky. So it's a very no fuss type of book that I think people find really useful.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you mentioned that is it easier to grow weed outdoors?
Speaker 5: Yes, Jonathan, Yes, what plant wants to grow inside. I mean maybe you're monsterra like a house plan, but yes, I mean what you spoke to what had to be done in your old house or in your house by previous owners to get this plant to grow inside. You need none of that outdoors. And that I was confused by that too, when I started like, do I need special lights?
Speaker 4: Do I need No, it's just a plant.
Speaker 3: And I'll say, you know, on the flip side, there's been I think recently, kind of alarming information about you know, indoor growers who use pesticides and then clear it all out and then think that the plants aren't gonna leach it out of the walls, and sure enough, you know, there is a bunch of gnarly stuff it's leeching back into their plants even though they think they cleared out the place. It's scary stuff. So yeah, carry your stuff outdoors, people on the balcony and in the garden with your other beautiful plants. It'll make them smell great. They'll all get along, they'll you know. I think that's another part of your book that you speak really beautifully too, is you know your plants need friends and the you know the terpenes are gonna just get that much more interesting. It's it's mysterious and we don't exactly know, so embrace the mystery. But it's it's a glorious thing, and everybody should do it.
Speaker 5: And even if you are just a consumer, you can be brave and buck the trend and opt for outdoor cultivated cannabis, which probably has a lower energy footprint than that cultivated inside. The market has a premium on indoor cultivation because it's all it's so dialed in and buds are super uniform and tight, so you get a little bit of this funkier, more airy look from being grown outside, but it's often done with a lot less chemicals and a lot fewer inputs.
Speaker 1: Is that sort of like the difference between when you go to the grocery store and get the non organic fruit that's kind of uniform and the organic stuff which can look a little bit quirky.
Speaker 3: I was listening to your interview on another podcast specifically about cannabis cultivation, about how COVID sort of killed the release of this book. But I was thinking maybe in the aftermath of that, I mean, I think a lot of people I don't know I hope a lot of people got into gardening. I know at first it was all about baking sour dough and hoarding toilet paper. But has the book, I don't know, gotten it's due.
Speaker 5: It had a very long, zoomy tailwind, and it is still selling and it people are still I mean really not to too my own horn. People are still reaching out to me with not you know, kind of frequently telling me how much they love it.
Speaker 4: So I think it's gonna have a.
Speaker 5: Long life, but I don't think we're like gonna blow it up and go viral. And there have been a few changes since the book came out. Feminized seeds are much more widely available now, so I had a lot of fun sexing my plants, mostly because I like talking about sexing my plants. But that's one of the things that makes weeds so unique is that they're male and females, and it really matters. But now you can buy feminized seeds. They're more expensive, but it means you'll you're guaranteed a female crop that won't get seed from a male pollination, and those are super more widely available and that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: And also seeds are more widely available.
Speaker 5: It used to be like souvenirs from seed banks, from international seed banks, but the laws seem to have changed. I know the company that I love working with, Humboldt Seed Company. You can now get them in a bunch of states just online retail. So things are evolving in the market.
Speaker 3: Did you learn any life lessons from growing weed in the garden?
Speaker 4: I learned a few. I love this question.
Speaker 5: The first thing that I learned is what can happen when a plant is stigmatized. And it's worth noting that there are still tens of thousands of people sitting in prison cells partly because of an activity that they've partaken in that's no longer a crime, while others build wealth on that same activity. So it's really taught me to what harm and damage that can do to entire chunks of our population. And I was able to write this book and have no fear of prosecution or stigmatization.
Speaker 4: And then the other.
Speaker 5: Lesson it taught me was we've sort of touched upon, but it's one that my first farm manager at my first farm outside of Denver, Colorado, taught me, which is that plants want to grow, and so for all of this weird mysterious indoor cultivation weird lingo all that's sort of transpired with this plant in the last hundred years. It's just a plant and it just wants to grow.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much, Johanna for joining.
Speaker 4: Us, Thank you for having me and to our audience.
Speaker 1: Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 3: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.