Speaker 1: We are now going to look over at Kevin Turner, who's going to pull the curtain back and share a little bit about his life.
Speaker 2: I had a thought the other day, and this is just kind of kicking in my head, but I don't know if it's anything going to act on because I'd like to get the numbers, and I just wanted to I thought you guys might actually like this. Here's my situation with my vehicles. Okay, it's out to drive, So here's the story. Though my wife works from home, has a car that she has paid off, so no car payments, but she works from home. I work here and I have leased a car. I always I've leased car for a long time. I've never owned a car. Actually always lease hand car. And I was thinking the other day, for the first time, I can't believe we would go for a while night.
Speaker 3: It's first time.
Speaker 2: I thought, how often do we both need our cars at the same time?
Speaker 3: Very rarely?
Speaker 2: And if I was just to not have a car payment, I could drive her car to work here because she works from home, and if she had to go somewhere or had a meeting, or if I had something, I could just uber and would the amount of times that I would need that extra car and Uber would that cost less than my monthly car payment?
Speaker 4: Let me ask you, does this all make sense? It makes all kinds of sense. I want to ask you, how long until your lease is up?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I got another two and a half years? Oh yeah, I just got any one, but I can trade it in. They're always looking for get your car back? Really yeah, and they'll just well, no, I got a little You know, hey, man, you don't have to pay a half years. You okay, But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Also, you're basing that on what's happening in your life right now. Sure, but what happens if in a year you both need your cars every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no doubt about it. But that's where it's kind of easy though, because since her car is taken care of.
Speaker 1: But that's that's that's the cheak code in life, if you can get to where And again, Kanye is skinny, he's your guy.
Speaker 3: He's a leader in so many different ways. Amazing. But he said the things we own end up boning us.
Speaker 1: He's right, and so the things that if you can figure out how to not live in the biggest house, how to not have the biggest car payment.
Speaker 3: Drive cars that are paid off.
Speaker 1: You don't have to work for the man as much because you're not under as much pressure to pay off all the crap you own. So there is something to that, you know, if you have too paid off cars and just drive an old, crappy car, if you're down with that, like, because eventually, over time, it's just gonna get older and older and older.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, that's what I struggle with.
Speaker 2: Then the bad thing happens in your car and then you end up paying for how much to repair it, and I don't want to go through that. But that's that's a lesser I mean, this is very simple though, just doing the numbers here. If I didn't have the car payment, let's say it's five hundred a month, it's a less than actually oh oh yeah.
Speaker 4: It is, ye car payment under five hundred And you're having this discussion.
Speaker 2: I told you I'm killing it out here. But you take that away, and let's say I had to uber three times. There's three times we had to be in a different spot. Well, man, that's one hundred dollars max. Like, I'm saving quite a bit of money. Now, maybe there's a month or two that you end up going over that because you did have to be in separate places. But the benefit of her working from home, I feel like I'm not taking advantage of that if quite frankly, her car's there all day.
Speaker 4: Have you, guys spent or in this scenario, have you spent any time thinking about what your weekends are like a little and sometimes she works on weekends. So cause I'm just saying, you guys are going to be fused at the hit. No, I know, trust me there in my car or more uber I like having my car. Yeah, but I'm just thinking the sheer math a number of times I would uber, it can't be that much. I think it's unique in that you don't live that far from work and your wife works from home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, in a lot of more urban areas. You know, you're in the burbs and a lot of more urban areas, it's not uncommon at all for a family to have one car.
Speaker 2: It's not, trust me, is not most people. The mom and the dad go to work, right or the you know, the husband and the wife go to work, Yeah, separately. So this is why it's a very different situation for sure. What do you think, Christina, it.
Speaker 3: Sounds smart to me, and even better.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's summer right now, so don't do this right now.
Speaker 3: Are you within like biking distance from the station. Oh my god, I'd love that.
Speaker 1: If if I buy you a BMX bike, will you ride it to with a helmet? Again?
Speaker 3: Not obviously, not until like October, and you have to pop wheelies on every curve. I just like that the question was asked to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not something I would do. I could see Kavanaugh riding his bike to work or something, but that's not something I would do.
Speaker 4: If you are going to do something like that, what you have to do is you have to take your car payment and stick it in a savings account and don't touch it now.
Speaker 3: Dude, I was gonna go burn it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: The point being is that if you do get in a situation where suddenly y'all need two cars, you have a down payment for a car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: That's like one of the mistakes people mistake. Mistakes people make. They get their car paid off, and then it's like they just do something else with that income, something else, discretionary or whatever.
Speaker 3: You've got to.
Speaker 4: Put it somewhere to where it's like you've already been making that payment. Leave it there, and it puts you in a position where if you do have some seismic thing happen, you can account for it.
Speaker 2: And that was your financial minute.
Speaker 3: I'm Lou Dobbs. Fantastic work life Math with Kevin Turner,