Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, hairy creature Part eight parts in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 1: Monster Talk.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 1: I'm Blake Smith and.
Speaker 2: I'm Karen Hey. They're Monster Talkers. Last Wednesday we recorded a roundup episode of Monster News and had some plans for talking about what's coming up soon and what.
Speaker 1: We've been working on.
Speaker 2: And then I got word that my friend, colleague and mentor, Joe Nicol, had passed away at the age of eighty and had decided to record this remembrance.
Speaker 1: In lieu of this week's plan content.
Speaker 2: I'll release our original recording in the feed next week, but for now, I just wanted to share some thoughts about Joe's life. Joe had been sick for a while. He was suffering with the sorts of ailments that a crew from eighty years of adventurous living and curiosity, and he knew something in this collection of symptoms was probably going to be the thing that took him out. But he was actively working on two follow up volumes to the Science of Monsters. I don't know if those projects will be forthcoming or not. I still need to talk with his typist to find out where he was on those projects. But if it's possible for me to help him become published, you'll hear about it here. If you've listened to Monstra Talk for a while, you know what a friend Joe was to me and to the show. He really loved the work that Karen and I do here, and he took a bunkiller approach to trying to guide us to what he thought was our best future. He'd say things like, don't just podcast, make sure you also write up your investigations and get them in print, because people are lazy and they won't cite your show, but a magazine article will get cited by other researchers.
Speaker 1: And that can help build your reputation. He was full of advice like that, and he had a life also full of adventure.
Speaker 2: I met Joe as an investigator of alleged cases of the paranormal or the supernatural, but over the years of our acquaintance, I learned a little bit more about the many other aspects of his life, and it might surprise you if you know how assiduously Joe avoided the Internet and computers and mobile phones to find out that he has a website. But he does, and if you go to a link on there called personas, you'll find more than a thousand jobs and certifications, advocations, hobbies, or other specializations that he explored over his life. His life is what you get when a person with unlimited curiosity manages to have the financial means to explore many of their intellectual whims or to tackle side quests that might intimidate a more fearful personality. I think the first case Joe and I collaborated on was the Watertown ghosts, and I'm glad that that was the one I reached out to him on because I had already done my homework. I'd run some seriously obscure leads to ground, and I pulled together a robust timeline of the known events. I spoke with the widow of one of the main investigators. I tracked down his remaining friends, I sent a research agent into the National Archives. I did deep photographic analysis. In other words, the first time I reached.
Speaker 1: Out to Joe about a case that I was working on was through.
Speaker 2: A very thorough effort, and he took me very seriously as an investigator. But over the course of acquaintance in a friendship, I don't it was a lot of things. But over the course of that I saw him work with other investigators who were not as far along in their projects or their case, or maybe they weren't his experience in their approach, and he treated them the same like a fellow investigator talking to a senior colleague or talking to a senior detective. He loved teaching and being a mentor, and he could be extraordinarily generous with his time and with his expertise.
Speaker 1: One of the.
Speaker 2: Biggest challenges to working with Joe was his almost comical rejection of modern information technology. But Joe wasn't a luddite. He would not hesitate to use a computer in a research setting, but where many people see these devices as communication tools or research age, he saw these things as insidious distractions that had misled many users into a false sense of accomplishment. If he did a research project and then posted a five or ten message thread on social media, Joe saw that as a waste of potential. He believed that printed journals and magazines would endure and be treated as serious scholarship, but that the Internet as a whole was just a honey trap that could make you feel like you'd done something meaningful, but which would then evaporate into the universe without leaving so much as a breadcrumb that you'd pass by that you'd see a mystery, or perhaps you'd even solved it. Joe Nicol led an extraordinary life. If you knew Joe through his paranormal or cryptozoological, or euphological or other mystery investigation categories, you might think of him as just that a clever guy who wanted to figure out mysteries. But in talking with Joe I learned so many more stories about what he got up to during his eighty years. I want to share a few of those things that maybe I haven't talked about here before. So Joe was very politically active, and he was a man of deep principles, and he hated the Vietnam War when it was going on, and he protested it, and he was there in nineteen sixty seven and when Abbi Hoffman tried to levitate the Pentagon and cast out demons of violence and oppression. And Joe was a poet and he had connections with the Beat poets, and he told me several times how honored he was to have been invited to perform some of his work at a reading that included some of the giants of that movement. And he hated the suppression of black voters in the Deep South. So he marched with Doctor King and he participated in dangerous efforts to try to get black voters registered, and he faced real dangers and real threats to his life while working on that. Eventually facing a draft board, like thousands of Americans his age, he fled into Canada, and this opened up another chapter in his life, where he lived as a political refugee and had to find work in various parts of that country. He wrote ad copy for the Canadian Sears Catalog, you know, which for younger listeners, was a little bit like Amazon dot Com, only instead of web pages. It had a huge paper book called the Seers Catalog and a winter holiday edition which was called the Sea Wish Book. Now, in my life, I like to read a lot of weird trivia and strange esoteric stories about different locations, and so I just have a lot of different bits of information about different parts of the world.
Speaker 1: Rattling around in my head.
Speaker 2: And one time I had read a article about life in the Yukon and about this eccentric man named Captain Dick Stevenson. I think that may have come from a rabbit hole when I was reading about the making of John Carpenter's movie The Thing. But regardless, the story goes that in the Yukon in the nineteen twenty the pair of trappers in a remote cabin had to deal with the case of frostbite and they chopped off the toe of one of the gentlemen whose foot had gotten wet, and they put the toe into.
Speaker 1: A bottle of alcohol.
Speaker 2: And decades later, Captain Dick Stevenson apparently found the toe preserved in a jar of alcohol in this remote cabin, and he brought it back to town and turned it into a drinking challenge. Thus began the legendary Yukon sour Toe cocktail challenge. There's even a rhyme that goes with it. You can drink it fast, you can drink it slow, but your lips must touch that gnarly tow now. So they're literally drinking a drink of alcohol that has a toe in it, so obscure and amusing, and it's one of the few stories I know about the Yukon. And one day Joe was telling me about being in Canada and he told me this story about he and another colorful local who caught a grizzly.
Speaker 1: Bear that had been sort of wandering around town.
Speaker 2: And that's a really interesting story in its own right, not what I'm gonna try to tell right now. But while he was talking about the Yukon, I said, Joe, have you ever heard of this Yukon ritual of drinking the toe? And for one of the first time, maybe one of the only times, Joe was completely shocked that I had sprung something on him that I knew something that was really obscure that he also knew.
Speaker 1: And he said, you know.
Speaker 2: About the Sauerto cocktail And I was like, yeah, have you heard of it? And he said, heard about it? I created the certificates that Captain Dick would give out to people who passed through the ritual. And then he proceeded to tell me how that he had moved to the Yukon during his Canadian exile and he became friends with Captain Dick and as a kid, Joe had made his living by doing hand painted signs around his small Kentucky town.
Speaker 1: So he painted signs for all kinds.
Speaker 2: Of businesses and did all kinds of advertising work.
Speaker 1: In that space.
Speaker 2: And now in Canada he was up there applying his trade, doing the same kind of work, calligraphy, article writing, signs for windows, that sort of thing. And then this opportunity to make certificates for the Sauerto Cocktail came up, and so Joe hand lettered them. It's an interesting, if dubious feet But I'm telling you this because Joe Nichol was not a simple person. He was a bigger than life character who, if you were thinking of this in role playing games terms, was definitely a multi class character, and you kind of have to wonder how many development points he had. But I mean, if you look at it in another way, he used his experiences to get experienced points. I mean, Joe didn't shy away from new adventures.
Speaker 1: That's who he was.
Speaker 2: If he had a chance to try something new, he would do it. Joe was also extraordinarily generous. He supported causes that he believed in with cash and with time, and I know I've probably told some version of the story before. But I wanted to start a publishing company, which I did, Monster House LLC. But I'm slow and methodical about this sort of thing. So I set up the company name, and then I started taking classes on how to digitally published books and audiobook. I read articles, I joined forums, I read all this material, but I wasn't ready to actually start yet. I didn't have my own manuscript or anyone else's, and I wasn't ready to call for submissions or anything. But I and I hadn't even told anybody what I was up to, because I don't like to tell my plans when they're that nebulous, because it's again and sometimes it takes me years to get any of my projects done. But then one day, not too long after I'd gotten all this stuff set up, I got a phone call from Joe and he asked me, out of the blue, if i'd be interested in publishing his latest book. And I said, well, Joe, who told you I was starting a publishing company, And he said nobody. I just thought this book's about monsters, it's write up your listener's alley. And so if I gave you the book and let you publish it. It could help support the show, and that's what he did, and that's what I did. And that book became The Science of Monsters, which is the first publication to come out through Monster House, which was released late last year. And sadly, it turns out that that volume will be the last book that Joe would publish during his life. He was working on two more volumes and I don't know if those are going to be completed or not. We'll have to wait and see. I have not had a chance to talk to his typist. Joe wrote Longhand and had someone type up his work, and she and I haven't been able to talk yet about where he was at. And honestly, it's right this minute. I'm just sad that he's gone. I'm not that worried about the projects, but I just yeah, anyway, we'll see. I'm writing this to say goodbye to a friend, a mentor, a guide, a supporter, a caring person who didn't suffer fools, but somehow put.
Speaker 1: Up with me.
Speaker 2: I think now, especially the world needs Joe's voice.
Speaker 1: I need his voice. And we talked on Monday.
Speaker 2: He was not doing well at all and I was deeply worried about him, and the next day he died. And I'm so sorry that I couldn't have been there for him, and I'm sorry that I won't be able to go to whatever memorial service he has, and I don't even know what those arrangements are going to be. But like a lot of people his age, he outlived most of his own friends and heroes.
Speaker 1: When some people passed.
Speaker 2: They leave a hole in the world shape like their unique place in the world. And when Joe died, he left a thousand holes because he had a thousand personas. He was not a religious person, and you might call him an atheist, but he preferred to say that he was a secular humanist. What's that people would ask him. He was like, Oh, that's just an atheist with a heart. He loved saying that, And Joe had a big heart. And it's going to take me a while to get over his loss. Even knowing that he was nearing the end, he just never stopped trying to solve mysteries or to make a difference in this world. He didn't believe in ghosts, he didn't believe in fairies or aliens, or monsters or dark conspiracies or ultra dimension. But he believed in you, he believed in me, he believed in his fellow travelers on Spaceship Earth. Joe believed that good people who fight for a good cause can win out over evil, even if sometimes it requires patience, or sometimes it even requires the occasional retreat. Joe Nickel believed in humanity. Well, I can't turn this into a biography. That's too big of a task. Joe's life is too big and expansive for me to go over in the length of a normal Monstra Talk episode or one hundred and maybe I'm not even the right person for that job.
Speaker 1: But check out the show.
Speaker 2: Notes because I'll put some links to Joe's many escapades, and also a link to support the Buffalo Museum of Science. You see, Joe recently passes his big collection of research and mementos from decades of investigation to the Museum for curation and caretaking. So Joe Nichols's collection of work will not be lost. Obviously, he's got his published books, but also so much memorabilia, personal writings, and correspondence. All these materials are now safely in the hands of the Buffalo Museum of science in the hands of curators and archivists, and if you want to remember Joe, a donation to that institute would surely be one way to keep his work preserved. And you can buy his many books online.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure Joe.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't mind me reminding you that the science of monsters in particular also helps Monster Talk. But it's ghoulish, in my opinion, to try and cash in when someone passes. But I think Joe really wanted Monster Talk to succeed. That's why he gave us that opportunity, and I'm extraordinarily proud that he trusted me with that project. I appreciate the many wishes of condolences that people have sent to me through social media. And I unfortunately don't know Joe's extended family. I do know, which I find this is kind of funny that when I asked him about who was looking after him, he said, well, I do have one relative who keeps a close eye on me, And he said.
Speaker 1: That's my aunt.
Speaker 2: She's one hundred and four, but she checks on me every week. And I don't know who's going to pass the bad news on to her, but I hope they do it gently and Joe wouldn't want us grieving his passing so much as he would want us to follow his example and to try to use logic and reason and evidence based thinking to constructively engage with those who have questions about this world. He blazed a path and left a trail worth following, and I only regret that at the end of the day he won't be there anymore to share his stories. I'll already miss him a lot. I'll continue to hold on to the wooden Nichols he used to give out. They are a final testament to how strongly.
Speaker 1: He believed he could make this world change more obstrutal this has been a Monster House presentation